Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wow. How are you gonna do that? I'd like to see 'in-progress' pics too, in case I want to try my hand at that. Good luck. :)

I've got a friend who puts stickers on airplanes for a living, stuff like the official ID numbers on the tails and aesthetic stuff like stripes and the plane's name in cursive on the nose. Basically like putting decals on a model, but life size. I was thinking of commissioning her to make something for me, but I don't know what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

titanium posted:

Do you have a writeup on how you're doing this? Are you clear coating it?

There's not really much of a writeup to do, but here's how it's going down

- Scratch the existing paint, or go down to the primer. Either works well enough for a DIY paintjob. If you have a sandblaster or some fancy sanding equipment you should probably go down to the primer. I don't, so I just scratched the existing coat until you couldn't see any existing shine whatsoever.

- Slowly coat the mask with an automotive primer. Grey works well for both white or black base colour coats since it's pretty neutral. Right now my mask is AUTOMOTIVE PRIMER GREY :clint:

- Next spray the design area with the base underlying colour. In my case it'll be black, so I'll spray on black roughly the size of the area of the logo and then mask off the part of the logo that I want to be black (I'm also going to cheat and mask off grey primer areas for the parts of the logo that are going to be grey in the end :ssh: )

Obviously the logos are going to have gaping holes in them where the vents on the mask are placed. All you can do is try to minimize the effect of their placement, but at a certain point you have to accept that your logo will look like swiss cheese in the end :smith:

- Spray on the final colour. When that is set I'll pull off the parts of the design that were masked off and they'll turn out black while everything else is white (and grey)

- Sand the final finish with a super fine sandpaper grit to get rid of any orange-peel texture. This is super important for a nice looking finish, and if you get lazy here it will really show (ask me how I know :( )

- Clearcoat like a motherfucker.

Make sure you degrease the mask after every step of the way if you handle it with your bare hands. I'm wearing latex gloves just in case, but I'm still wiping the mask down after I let it sit around for a while for dust and all that stuff that paint won't really stick to.

I'll take more pictures along the way since it seems at least some people are interested.

This is the third mask I've refurbed. The other two weren't even close to difficult, but then again they didn't have any fancy designs.

The last one I did:

And the first one I did:

Edit: I have so many masks :pwn:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 29, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stickarts posted:

I'm not sure why you would only paint 1/2 of your helmet of any worth. :colbert:

I'm not sure how to reply without dissing one of my two teams :argh:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

How's that avatar coming along? /sarcasm

I'll leave you goalies to it now, I'm going to go block a shot or something.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Stickarts posted:

I'll leave you goalies to it now, I'm going to go block a shot or something.

We appreciate it!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Painting the mask in the back yard, and the pole I had dug into the ground toppled over. Not to mention I had just mowed the lawn :smithicide:

My white mask is now decidedly grassy :haw:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Painting the mask in the back yard, and the pole I had dug into the ground toppled over. Not to mention I had just mowed the lawn :smithicide:

My white mask is now decidedly grassy :haw:

Martytoof, rock the grass mask.

DO IT!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

Martytoof, rock the grass mask.

DO IT!

I'm uh.. I'm going to be completely honest here.

I was spraying it some more today and I bumped the stick I had impaled into the ground on which the mask was drying.

It fell into the loving grass again :smithicide:

I think I'm just going to spray the fucker white and get some vinyl decals cut up instead of painting. Jesus christ this is a pain in the rear end. Just goes to show how important it is to not half-rear end your painting setup.

Edit: This isn't counting the time I had to sand part of it down again because a loving mosquito landed on the wet paint between coats. Sure enough I didn't notice it and sprayed over it carelessly. Sure enough I found it later. Sure enough it was full of loving blood which I found out when I tried to sand it out.

I give up :pwn:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
What better time to buy new equipment than when you're taken the summer season off for physical training?!

I present the new Nike/Bauer One95's

I went from Bauer 3000's to XIX's two years ago because my 3000's were falling apart after 6 years of heavy use. The XIX's got me by but I had a few issues with the way they were made; 1) the steel must be crazy soft because the blade seemed to wear down way too fast from sharpening. 2) The fit wasn't great for my feet. Mine weren't baked in and my right ankle set all the way past the gel. 3) Nike in an attempt to save money decided that making less cowlings for their skates and putting "close enough" sized boots in them was a good idea, it wasn't.

Now for the One95

The one (an maybe only) thing i liked a lot about the X series was the intro of the flex heel. They moved a slightly stiffer version of this to the new skate and it still provides all the freedom you'll need to make those breakaway full extension toe saves. Its noticeably lighter, I actually held a One75 in a smaller size and noticed the 95 was still less weight. I highly doubt I'll notice the 10% weight saving vs the X series but I could feel it in my hands. The fit is perfect and after having them baked in it doesnt feel like there will be any break in pain. Another new feature is the seemingly longer blade and rounded front. I haven't played in them yet but I'll post my thoughts after.

vs.

My initial impressions of these skates are nothing but positive with my only complaint being the price. If I wasn't playing 4x a week I would have gone with the One75's but I figured with heavy use and these probably being the last skates I'll ever buy I splurged. To all the Minnesota or Western Wisconsin goalies I'd HIGHLY recommend The Goal Crease. The guys that work there aren't in the least bit pushy and know the product better than any other shop I've been to. They actually have an in shop sheet of ice and lots of pads you can demo before buying. Robb Stauber was in the shop to so meeting him was pretty awesome. I'm pumped to get these out on the ice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

titanium posted:

What better time to buy new equipment than when you're taken the summer season off for physical training?!

Oh poo poo, we're supposed to train? :v:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
My butterfly was awesome tonight, It was wide, my arms were in good position, and i gave up no rebounds at all. It morphed into a Jiggy-Fly a few times but was still effective.

The 4 goals I let in weren't really easy stops...

1) Breakaway, from faceoff circle cutting across, got a small piece of it.
2) 1 on 1, defender played it horribly, guy shot it right through his legs, while he was stick checking, should have taken the body. Great shot from the forward, I had no chance.
3) Defenseman (same as above) tried a clearing pass across the slot off the boards, forward picked it off in the slot and buried it.
4) Should have had it, wrister from the faceoff circle that beat me just above the pad. Little bit of a screen, but I was pissed about it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

titanium posted:

new skates
I'm pretty pissed off, I saw the One95s and immediately thought, "Well, nobody loving carries Graf poo poo anymore, I'm out of steel on my Grafs, and I'm turning those into inline blades anyway," I'd try the One95s. Helping this is that around the time I started looking for skates, my girlfriend was hired by a Nike company. She gets any product at least 50% off.

Unfortunately, Nike apparently doesn't apply that discount to any NikeBauer hockey gear.

Needless to say, I'm pissed off.

Let us know how they break in, I've always liked the Supreme holder (have one on my Grafs) and the steel was generally pretty good.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Tim Thomas posted:

I'm pretty pissed off, I saw the One95s and immediately thought, "Well, nobody loving carries Graf poo poo anymore, I'm out of steel on my Grafs, and I'm turning those into inline blades anyway," I'd try the One95s. Helping this is that around the time I started looking for skates, my girlfriend was hired by a Nike company. She gets any product at least 50% off.

Unfortunately, Nike apparently doesn't apply that discount to any NikeBauer hockey gear.

Needless to say, I'm pissed off.

Let us know how they break in, I've always liked the Supreme holder (have one on my Grafs) and the steel was generally pretty good.

That sucks about the Grafs, most of the shops around here seem to have them can you ask for them to order a pair?

Break in was pretty much non existent wearing these skates, the first time on the ice was less painful than wearing my now old and broken in XIXs. The weight difference was noticed but not a huge deal, they were much more comfortable, the vent holes seemed to make my feet sweat a bit less, the extended blade wasn't an issue at all and if anything made me more solid on my feet, and the steel is sooooo much nicer than the XIXs. The first time I left my skate guards on the XIX's i had rust on them before I got home. These skates had wet guards on them a good 24hrs and there isn't one speck of rust on them.

You should really look at the One75s if the cost of the 95's is an issue. They're still awesome skates and only lack vent holes and some weight savings. This is what I expected the evolution of the Bauer skate to be, not that clear purple plastic garbage.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
I got hurt about 3 weeks ago so I haven't played since. Finally got back on the ice today. Holy poo poo. I had no idea it would be that difficult getting back into rhythm. Felt like I was flailing all over the place. I do not recommend taking 3 weeks off.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Joey Walnuts posted:

I got hurt about 3 weeks ago so I haven't played since. Finally got back on the ice today. Holy poo poo. I had no idea it would be that difficult getting back into rhythm. Felt like I was flailing all over the place. I do not recommend taking 3 weeks off.

Our goalie, well the team I used to play for and was filling in on, was out for a few weeks, last night was his first game back, man he sucked, we lost 11-5, probably 9 of their goals were shots from the outside that had no business going in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

I do not recommend taking 3 weeks off.

I've been off the ice for a month and a half, or whenever it was that Melted dropped by. I'm so loving hosed :(

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Dancing Hog posted:

Our goalie, well the team I used to play for and was filling in on, was out for a few weeks, last night was his first game back, man he sucked, we lost 11-5, probably 9 of their goals were shots from the outside that had no business going in.

Yipes. Luckily I was just playing pickup. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if it was a game. One guy had 6 break-aways on me and scored 5 of those times. Just plain ugly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Duke's:
$425 + tax - 8K catch & blocker
$20 round trip train ticket to Toronto
$5 subway fare
===
~$450 CDN

Goaliemonkey:
$354 + tax - 8K catch & blocker
$8 S&H to USA
$20 S&H from USA to Canada via intermediary because GM won't ship RBK stuff to Canada :(
$0 border tax - Creative labelling :v:
===
~$382 USD

Even with tax and conversion, it's a no brainer. I mean it's not even close. If it was $20 or $30 more you could say "well that's just the way it is, convenience fee for shopping local, etc."

gently caress you Canadian prices <:mad:>

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 5, 2008

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sba posted:

2) 1 on 1, defender played it horribly, guy shot it right through his legs, while he was stick checking, should have taken the body. Great shot from the forward, I had no chance.
3) Defenseman (same as above) tried a clearing pass across the slot off the boards, forward picked it off in the slot and buried it.

Ryan Miller, is that you?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Vigilance posted:

Ryan Miller, is that you?

that defenseman has to be Kalinin then.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ForbiddenWonder posted:

that defenseman has to be Kalinin then.

To be honest I wasn't sure if I was going for the "Ryan Miller blames the defensemen for the goals" angle or the "lol Sabres defense" angle.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Joey Walnuts posted:

I've been playing regularly for a couple months now about 2-3 times a week. But for the last three weeks due to lovely rainy weather and some junior olympics going on at the indoor rink, I've only played once.

About a month in playing goal I quit smoking, which helped a lot.. but then I started up again, and combined with the lack of playing.. oh man. Played today finnaly in 90% humidity and 87 degree weather..outside.. I felt like absoulte poo poo, and I did horrible.. some 12 year old Ukranian kid schooled my rear end.. Uhg, gonna be playing a few more times before our game on Sunday.. hope that helps.

Should quit smoking too.... less beer also. I HATE YOU SUMMER!! :argh:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Attention Forwards:

When you are losing 2-0 to the worst team in your league going into the third period, and are getting outshot 26-8 here's a list of things you shouldn't say to your goalie when he tries to encourage you to play better:

1) "Maybe you should make a save"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hate to talk like 'that guy' but that's one of those weird situations where I actually do think I'd be a straight up dick and punch someone.

I mean, the exact opposite of someone anyone who's ever met me would think I'd do.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

sba posted:

Attention Forwards:

When you are losing 2-0 to the worst team in your league going into the third period, and are getting outshot 26-8 here's a list of things you shouldn't say to your goalie when he tries to encourage you to play better:

1) "Maybe you should make a save"

Wow.. my forwards say the same thing too.. although they are a bunch of "gangsta" fucks. It's funny though because when (if) they shoot it usually just hits the wall right behind the net.. but its my fault we suck..

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Well we forwards tend to play better if we can actually have some faith in the stooge in net :colbert:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
If you played better you wouldn't have to worry about the guy in the net.. the puck shouldn't reach the net.. if you are as good as you are claiming..

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Some NHL goalies wish they could make 24 saves on 26 shots like sba did.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Polish posted:

If you played better you wouldn't have to worry about the guy in the net.. the puck shouldn't reach the net.. if you are as good as you are claiming..

Uh, hello, that's what the DEFENSE are for. Me just score goal.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Sorry I'm just used to either having one big fat defenseman that can't skate, screens me the whole game, and can't puck handle or none at all. One of the refs even asked me where my defense was, and I just laughed.. I can't wait to get the hell off of that team..

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
When a guy is coming down one on one on me, I try to push him to the outside and give him an outside wrister from not a great angle, you guys better make that save! :argh:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't demean my players and I expect the same treatment. We all mistakes, negativity from someone other than a coach doesn't solve poo poo.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

crashlanding posted:

When a guy is coming down one on one on me, I try to push him to the outside and give him an outside wrister from not a great angle, you guys better make that save! :argh:

I love it when goalies do this. 90% of the time (I play LW, RH shot) I let the goalie think he is pushing me outside too much, and once I pass the faceoff dot, I can usually hit the top right corner of the net because of the goalie overly trying to push me outside, leaving me a tiny opening far corner. Watch any highlight video of a righty LW (ovechkin and Kovalchuk do this allllll the time)and this shot will be on there several times.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

titanium posted:

Here's the only decent pic of me playing with my gear.

That guy in the orange is a loving STUD!

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Pleads posted:

Uh, hello, that's what the DEFENSE are for. Me just score goal.

i play defense, and after some of the comments from some of the games, im pretty sure i must unknowingly be playing with you.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My issue with most forwards is that I can't get a critique out of them. There are times when I ask "what did I do wrong on that shot? what am I doing wrong?" only to hear "nothing you're playing fine" "you couldn't do anything about it". I've always been in the mindset that there's always something you could have done to stop the puck. It's more irritating to hear that I cant do anything about it because I know that's not true.

Note to forwards! If a goalie asks what happened or what they did wrong give them an honest answer. "You bit too early on his move on that breakaway" "it looks like you're cheating the right hand side a bit too much" "you're playing really shallow in the net today". If they're a decent goalie and they're not asking don't tell them because odds are they're thinking it in their head.

titanium fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 8, 2008

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.
Goalies, if you want to make a shooter hate you, do this:

Me trying to go top right (coming hard across from the right). It was a bad shot by me, I should have went a tad higher, but I loving hate when goalies pull the statue pose after a decent save. Boo.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Zinc. posted:

I love it when goalies do this. 90% of the time (I play LW, RH shot) I let the goalie think he is pushing me outside too much, and once I pass the faceoff dot, I can usually hit the top right corner of the net because of the goalie overly trying to push me outside, leaving me a tiny opening far corner. Watch any highlight video of a righty LW (ovechkin and Kovalchuk do this allllll the time)and this shot will be on there several times.
I'm a defenseman and you're not going to have a chance to shoot far post so goalies, don't let him beat you short side. Also, you're not getting within five feet of the faceoff dot if you want to get a shot off.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
How the hell do you block the one-timers. If I'm on my far glove side and they pass the puck to my stick side, wide open net. Now I know you just try to slide over there as fast as possible, but in roller it isn't that easy. Sport court slides halfway decent, but on the painted cement I practice on, there is no chance.

Any tips? Feedback from you forwards would be nice here on how to beat you with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
there's several ways and none are great.

1) learn how to slide on cement - if you're sliding on your chassis and cowling you'll still slide. don't let the pad make contact until you want to stop. this requires muscular strength you might not have, so good luck.
2) dive - not good
3) backwards t-push over - usually doesn't work great since you're basically going rear end-end into the puck but at least it's something
4) cheat and t-push - play the shot positionally but play under-square. this means that your torso remains square to center, not the puck or puck carrier. when the pass comes, you can t-push out of this position to meet the shot, which is probably the quickest you'll get on cement. doing this requires extremely good reads and really really good reflexes so try it at pick-up before doing it in a game. if you overcommit to the pass you'll get beat short side, and if you mistime the push you'll still get beat.

• Locked thread