Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

crashlanding posted:

I'm a defenseman and you're not going to have a chance to shoot far post so goalies, don't let him beat you short side. Also, you're not getting within five feet of the faceoff dot if you want to get a shot off.

Yeah, ok. If I have the puck, coming in on a 2-1 and you are challenging me as I'm coming in, 9/10 times my center is getting a pass from me and burying the puck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

The discussion was about a 1 on 1 scenario.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Thanks for the advice Tim.. I'll work on this poo poo today. I also have to start going to the ground more. When I first started I was always on the ground, then I hurt my knee. I am scared to go down now because I am worried about twisiting my knee again.. uhg.

90 degree weather here I come!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

there's several ways and none are great.

1) learn how to slide on cement - if you're sliding on your chassis and cowling you'll still slide. don't let the pad make contact until you want to stop. this requires muscular strength you might not have, so good luck.
2) dive - not good
3) backwards t-push over - usually doesn't work great since you're basically going rear end-end into the puck but at least it's something
4) cheat and t-push - play the shot positionally but play under-square. this means that your torso remains square to center, not the puck or puck carrier. when the pass comes, you can t-push out of this position to meet the shot, which is probably the quickest you'll get on cement. doing this requires extremely good reads and really really good reflexes so try it at pick-up before doing it in a game. if you overcommit to the pass you'll get beat short side, and if you mistime the push you'll still get beat.

dude, pimp your slide plates

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

sba posted:

dude, pimp your slide plates

i took em off since i have a month before PIHA/AIHL tryouts and i'm playing ice every night until then

my goal to be paid to play hockey WILL be met before i die

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

cameronThornton posted:

The discussion was about a 1 on 1 scenario.

I'm an idiot. Thought he was a goalie at first.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

i took em off since i have a month before PIHA/AIHL tryouts and i'm playing ice every night until then

my goal to be paid to play hockey WILL be met before i die

you can still show them off, they've gotta help sliding on concrete

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The thought of any pads even remotely near concrete is an idea so horrible that it makes me cringe.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Painted concrete isn't so bad.. but they just repainted the rink and they used a push broom or some crap.. so it is tearing up wheels, sticks, and elbows. My pads have yet to be affected, but they are turning blue now...

Did a lot better today.. it's amazing how fast you get out of shape. This douchebag was standing no more than five feet from the crease at all times though.. hooked him once and shoved him countless times.. man that kid was worthless. And playing in the heat takes so much out of you so quick.. uhg.. beer then bed.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

sba posted:

you can still show them off, they've gotta help sliding on concrete

fair nuff. here's a crosspost from a year back that explains everything:

I finished the first couple plates for my pads today. Simple use of UHMW plastic from McMaster-Carr, an oven at 200 degrees, a drill, and some forethought.

My pads don't have any sort of medial roll (well, they do, but not big enough to put a hole in) so I had to be a bit more clever about attaching these plates.

The knee plates are designed like a pocket; the knee strap goes through the plate as well as the wing itself so that it is anchored quite well. I'll need to put it through some extra use to make sure I don't need to do something extra, like velcro it on the backside, but I'm fairly confident that it should be plenty secure.

The toe plates were a gigantic bear to make. I had to heat the plate and keep reshaping and reforming them to match the toe of my pads. In terms of attachment, the lacing loops through the pad facing lace four times up top, and loops inside and out of the binding towards the front of the toe and at the bottom (only on one pad at the bottom; the other one needs two holes drilled for this. I'll do it tomorrow.). The boot strap goes through the back of the plate, keeping it form fitting when the strap is tightened.

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to do plastic for the calf and/or how I'd go about doing it, or if I'll just use white duct tape for the remaining exposed surfaces (it doesn't leave residue, is instantly removeable, and is a bit better than leather sliding on sport court).

toe:

knee wing:

pads on a spectacularly handsome man:

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 9, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

pads on a spectacularly handsome man:

who is mostly cut out of this picture :rimshot:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

who is mostly cut out of this picture :rimshot:
:mad: don't you have some lefebvre pads to go break in? oh, right, they never do

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

:mad: don't you have some lefebvre pads to go break in? oh, right, they never do

Mine have a nice curve now :unsmith:

I guess sitting upside down under a table for two months straight will do that :smith:

I really need to go play :smithicide:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Tim Thomas posted:

Roller hockey stuff

Gahhhh! The thought of not being able to shuffle makes me :psyduck:

Do your pads wear down super fast? I'm guessing ground wears them out a hell of a lot faster than ice.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I got my RBK 6K about three or four months ago and I play only on painted concrete or sport court. Aside from tearing up some toe ties and the skate belts.. nothing has really been getting torn up too much.

Although I might take Tims idea and improve on it..

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
eh, sport court rubs the contact surfaces but it's not a whole lot worse than ice

also there is nothing to improve upon, my pads are perfection, tia

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I work with a bunch of nuclear engineer nerds and we aren't too busy right now.. I'm sure we can think of something better.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Here's a question I've never really had answered by a coach or anyone, and I'd like to figure out how to play it properly.

I got invited into an extremely good league recently and I've never played anywhere near that level so it was fun to see how my skills stood up. We ended up losing 5-4 which wasn't so bad since I made more stops than the other goalie, but the winning goal pissed me off. It was a weird 2 on 1 with the puckcarrier well ahead of the trail guy. Puckcarrier went around the D towards the outside, drove the net on my stickside and got me to have to challenge out off the post, then cut to his backhand (right shot), blew around the net, and chipped the wraparound off my skate, off the pad, and in.

Issues:
1) I had challenged out a bit thinking I'd probably have to use a glove side half-butterfly or full butterfly if he shot; there was a trailer high in the slot that I had plenty of time to get to if he passed, but if he drove around the net I'd have a tougher time driving the opposite post;
2) When the guy got on his backhand, I was worried about him trying to bring it forehand and chip it in, so I still had my stick side lined up with the right post
3) once I figured out he was going around, I butterfly slid into the other post
4) guy could have hit the trailer in the low slot but instead chipped off the skate.

Basically I was in a full butterfly with the skate planted on the post. Clearly that isn't the correct play, but beyond butterfly sliding into the post and recovering on the lead leg into a half butterfly with the stick side leg down and stick in position or in a paddle down, I don't know what else I could have done. I've always had trouble playing those plays properly and I need some insight. I'd really like to stick at this level and I need to be better.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
What are you doing getting beat on wraparounds anyway, Mr. I Can Butterfly Post-to-Post?

Would it have helped if you led with your stick on the slide across? Marty Turco says always lead with your stick on potential wraparounds.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

What are you doing getting beat on wraparounds anyway, Mr. I Can Butterfly Post-to-Post?

Would it have helped if you led with your stick on the slide across? Marty Turco says always lead with your stick on potential wraparounds.

I'll admit that I have a tendency to let my stick get wild at times, but I led with the stick in that case (filling five hole). Do you and Turco mean that the stick should get to the post first?

Alternately, would I be better off putting my ankle at the post and sliding my skate behind the post on the butterfly slide?

Butterflying post to post isn't that effective I'm afraid :(

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
I'm having a hard time remembering the details of what he said (it was one of those "think hockey" segments with Ron McLean during an intermission on HNIC and they don't have it up on the website for some reason) but I'm certain the stick was getting to the post before his skate. If I remember right, as he was moving over he got the heel of the stick on the post with the toe pointing out to the slot. It's pretty much a fraction of a second difference, but whatever gives you the upper hand can't hurt.

Otherwise, your skate should definitely be getting behind the post so your pad is along the goal line, rather than having the blade of your skate against the post. I think it gives you a tighter hold against the post, but frankly I have no idea. It's just the way I was told.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
See, the thing is I've seen it done both ways, with skate on post and skate behind post, and after re-watching some goalie dvds, it seems like the type of wraparound defines which position you go into. If it's a hard wrap, I guess you put pad on the post and give up overall coverage versus skate on the post for wraps where the guy can cut in front.

I think I just misplayed it :-\

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Post to post I always try to lead with my stick and back it up with my leg. Its not terribly hard for them to push your pad into the net but if a paddle down stick is pressed against the pipe they're not getting that puck in unless it busts. When you're pad only you may have a little opening under your skate if it touches the post or if its behind the post.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

titanium posted:

Its not terribly hard for them to push your pad into the net

That is seriously one of the most demoralizing goals I've ever given up.

I got it! I got it! What an awesome wraparound sav-- :smith:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is it a goal if you crosscheck the goalie in the head and he crumplesslides back into the net with the puck in his glove?

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Only if it's scored by the Ducks in the playoffs.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Pleads posted:

Is it a goal if you crosscheck the goalie in the head and he crumplesslides back into the net with the puck in his glove?

yup

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I should have been ejected last night. Some guy bowled over me in the crease, and I got up and my mouth was bleeding, so my first reaction was to swing my stick at him. Got him right between the shoulder blades with the blade of my stick.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I wasn't thrown out was the fact that we don't have backups in our league.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Did you bite your lip or something? Musta been a hard hit. My last game some guy slid, hit the post and his ribs went right into the bottom of my skate..

Anyone actually ever get a penalty? I like to push people screening me/in my crease.. and sometimes hook them as they go by. Never got a penalty yet though.. kinda sad. In my defense.. I have a little area to skate around in, you have the rest of the rink.. stay away from my crease.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Polish posted:

Did you bite your lip or something? Musta been a hard hit. My last game some guy slid, hit the post and his ribs went right into the bottom of my skate..

Anyone actually ever get a penalty?

It was pretty hard, I don't remember biting my lip, but that's where the blood was coming from.

He didn't get a penalty for that, but got one for roughing when one of my guys went after him.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Time for a new stick.. I have two wood sticks right now and I'm thinking going composite. Should I shell out the 100-200 bucks for a composite or just buy a new wooden one for $50 every three-four months?

I really am only looking for durability here, although a lighter stick never really hurts..

...am I'm full right.. so it is a gently caress trying to find anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was always under the (possibly mistaken) impression that composite is the last thing you want if you're looking for durability.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I was always under the (possibly mistaken) impression that composite is the last thing you want if you're looking for durability.

Strangely enough, I had 6 Bauer XXs at the start of last year and I'm down to two good sticks and a cracked dead stick, which is about the same or better than I usually did with foamcore Sher-Woods (9950/9980/C10).

Also, my penalty history is buried somewhere in this thread, but suffice to say, I have had plenty. Not so many anymore.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sba posted:

I should have been ejected last night. Some guy bowled over me in the crease, and I got up and my mouth was bleeding, so my first reaction was to swing my stick at him. Got him right between the shoulder blades with the blade of my stick.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I wasn't thrown out was the fact that we don't have backups in our league.

I got slashed in the back of the head twice by a goalie 2 weeks ago, he just got two 2minute penalties.

The Refs reasoning was its either a 2 minute penalty or he's out of the game, my argument was that he did it twice. One time, okay heat of the moment, two times he can gently caress right off.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've barely played this year and I'm playing this guy's team tonight: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=33805

He does that loving V skating style that Kovalchuk has made famous and its impossible to read him.

I believe the quote on our bench the last time we played him was "He skates faster sideways than we do going forwards." This was from a former AAA player and ACHA player of the year nominee.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 15, 2008

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

T-Bone posted:

He does that loving V skating style that Kovalchuk has made famous...

Can you elaborate on this? I didn't see a lot of Atlanta games this season.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

cameronThornton posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I didn't see a lot of Atlanta games this season.

It basically means that when he as the puck instead of favoring one skate he utilizes all of his edges to be able to pivot to the left or right. Which makes it impossible to pick up which direction he is going to go in (Think the Datsyuk move except in the run of play).

This also makes his shot harder to pick up because he is skating with his chest basically perpendicular to the goal line, which lets him pull off short side easier than a shooter whose chest is facing the side boards.

Also he uses the V stop mostly when transitioning from backwards to forwards (skate toes point outwards towards boards like a 'V') instead of the hockey stop which lets him transition from backwards to forwards faster than someone who has to turn their whole body from side to side as in a typical hockey stop.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well we lost 6-4 but we were outshot 51-25 so I was pretty happy with how I played. The aforementioned player I linked had two goals and three assists but I stopped him on a few breakaways so moral victory yay.

We were missing our best goal scorer http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=30637

He's usually good for at least two (disgustingly good wrister) so we might have tied.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 16, 2008

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
ITS CHRISTMAS!

I ordered the Simmons UL5's while on brake this summer but after using my 993s again I realized there's nothing that bothers me with the type of pad. Last Thursday I changed my UltraLight 5 order to 994's and of course the day before the pads arrive I play some of the best hockey of my life with the 993's.

Sorry about the picture quality I just picked up the camera and too quick shots.

Here they are all bagged up ready to taste freedom.

At 6'1" I'm using the 34+2" size, it looks like the knee stack sits a tiny bit higher with the 994 than in the 993 so it works out prefect for me.

Here they are sitting next to the 993's, after slightly over a year of use the 993's havent shrunk any and only appear shorter because they're broken in.

Front to back. The big difference here is the new NHL legal thigh boards and material in the leg channel. Thigh boards annoy the hell out of me and I've never had an issue taking one to the knee with the 993's so I'll probably remove these ones as well.

Open wide

Top to top. No width shrinkage

Here they are side by side, you can see the difference in width on the top quite clear. When first using the 993s the thigh rises were annoying to me but I'm guessing that was growing pains after moving from a thigh riseless pad.

close up of top.

The leg channels on both of the pads.

Close up of the knee area. The knee stacks are softer than the 993s (something they changed in the 993s later)

Fully v

Overall the little changes are appreciated but not necessary in my opinion. I got itchy with my stimulus check and figured what the hell. So far my only complaint is that the leather straps aren't white which makes them much easier to mark once you found the prefect adjustment. The 993's are great pads and honestly I didn't need to upgrade at all but if you're looking to upgrade old pads I'd highly recommend either the 993/994. If yo I'll write up a post skate report once I get a chance to get them on the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh and hey I had the exact same save PMA was talking about earlier tonight and I led with my stick and saved it :shobon:

Nice pads Titantium. Some goalie in my league just got Smiths, which I'm sort of intrigued about. Anyone ever tried them?

• Locked thread