Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

T-Bone posted:

Oh and hey I had the exact same save PMA was talking about earlier tonight and I led with my stick and saved it :shobon:

Nice pads Titantium. Some goalie in my league just got Smiths, which I'm sort of intrigued about. Anyone ever tried them?

One of the goalies I skate with has a pair of Smiths that he's used for a while and they've held up great. If they're the style of pad you want I say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Under armour.. worth it? 95+ degrees for the next ten days is making me wanna try this..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I tried on a buddy in Tampa's Smiths. The experience wasn't like finding Jesus and they didn't really leave me wanting a pair so I'm not sure what to report on. They felt very solid and comfortable but not moreso than a few other pads I've tried on. I have the suspicion that their main selling point is a real handmade and personalized pro-level pad package for a more affordable price.

Also their stock graphics are pretty meh in my opinion, if that's the sort of thing that pushes your buttons.

Polish posted:

Under armour.. worth it? 95+ degrees for the next ten days is making me wanna try this..

What are you wearing now? I'd recommend underarmour over a cotton t-shirt, but then again I 'd probably recommend playing without a t-shirt over playing in a cotton t-shirt.

I wear this type of stuff and it seems to work really well. They're usually soaked by the end of the night but they're not clinging to me and making me want to die.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 16, 2008

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Polish posted:

If you're asking about Under Armor specifically I have no idea. But I made the switch from old cotton T-shirts to exercise shirts and it makes a difference. I just got some of the Champion brand they have at Target for $8 (or like $4 at Rugged Wearhouse). I don't know what's supposed to be so much better about UA- they're both 100% polyester. Maybe someone else knows.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I have some underarmor and some "Gear" brand undershirts/pants/boxer breifs. Just get the cheap stuff, the underarmor is a bit softer which you wont notice unless you're holding it in your hands comparing. Any of these solutions is a HUGE improvement over cotton sweatpants and tshirts (which I foolishly wore throughout highscool). I wouldnt go no shirt under my chestpad just because the material would stick to me due to sweat but you have a coolmax type material on the chestpad you should be fine.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

T-Bone posted:

Oh and hey I had the exact same save PMA was talking about earlier tonight and I led with my stick and saved it :shobon:

well gently caress that, time to change the way i play that shot

also, don't feel too bad about the wicked good dude being wicked good, some dude who used to play for riga hc or something ridiculous had a hat-trick and two assists, with both assists going to some kid who plays for worcester :(

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I wear a UA Heat Gear shirt and bandanna under my gear, it makes a noticeable difference to me.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yeah I usually just wear a cotton t-shirt and some sport shorts. Looks like a trip to Target tonight.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Polish posted:

Yeah I usually just wear a cotton t-shirt and some sport shorts. Looks like a trip to Target tonight.

You have bare skin showing through your pads?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
No.. boxers, sport shorts, girdle, knee brace, knee pads, long pants. If this under armor type stuff works good I guess I'll pick up some for my legs to wear under my shorts.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Lesson learned today? Never leave my bag on the garage floor near a big goddamned spiderweb.

At least I know what was biting me during the game.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
...oh gently caress that.

I always thought it would suck to have a bee fly into your mask.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
As a player, I never used any of that UA stuff until I started with compression pants about 2 years ago, they were awesome compared to just my boxers which I had been wearing, a lot cooler, and no cottony ball of sweat in my crotch.

A few weeks ago I got a lose fit short sleeved UA shirt which is light and comfortable to play in, but it doesn't keep me as cool as the tight fit short sleeved shirt I got the other day, although it is kinda hard to get off at the end of the game.

As silly as it sounds I actually bought some socks as well, when I had forgotten mine, and they arent too bad either, nothing amazing though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh and I forgot to mention for the second time in a row playing I was forced to "accidentally" knock the net off its moorings during a two minute period of pressure in our zone.

gently caress it we were tired.

Tim Thomas posted:

well gently caress that, time to change the way i play that shot

also, don't feel too bad about the wicked good dude being wicked good, some dude who used to play for riga hc or something ridiculous had a hat-trick and two assists, with both assists going to some kid who plays for worcester :(

Where he usually gets me is when he comes in off the wing on his forehand and cuts across to the center of the ice (like around the hash marks). Now I'm pretty good if a shooter is cutting in lower (like at the top of the crease). But when someone with a speed and a good shot cuts across that high its really hard for me to maintain the angle I want as I t-push/shuffle/whatever coming across - lately I seem to be favoring glove too much.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
If we're talking about what we suck at, I am awful when someone is coming down my left wing (their right) and drives the net. I cheat to the middle every single time and get beat short side. I'm fine on my stick side, it's only that drat left wing. I can't help it no matter how much I think about not doing it :(

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crusader donkey posted:

If we're talking about what we suck at, I am awful when someone is coming down my left wing (their right) and drives the net. I cheat to the middle every single time and get beat short side. I'm fine on my stick side, it's only that drat left wing. I can't help it no matter how much I think about not doing it :(

So you're basically going back to your post early then cheating on your goal line towards the middle for the pass?

That's a pretty common mistake for any goalie - I've seen pros do it. I think it can stem from a couple of things:

1) Beer league defenses who don't cover the cross ice pass (which makes you cheat).

2) Worrying about your short side too much. I do this sometimes - I'll get in the Emery style half-butterfly save on my post (one pad vertical facing towards shooter, other pad along the ice). Mentally at least, it gives me the illusion that I've got my short side covered and still have the ability to push off the post and make a save on the pass. The problem is you're on your line at that point and your angle is going to suck.

If you're just talking a shooter with no pass option try mixing in the pad stack + poke check once in a while. Your short side will be covered (Pads to post) and if you're good with your stick he isn't getting around you.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 16, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crusader donkey posted:

If we're talking about what we suck at

I have no patience and drop way too soon.

To elaborate, one of two things usually happen:

1. I drop way too soon and give the shooter way too much time to adjust and go cross-crease, to which I respond too slowly and he throws it just wide of my pad since I have a relatively narrow butterfly.

2. I drop way too soon and anticipate the cross-crease, so I lift my trailing leg a little to bite ice in preparation for the slide and the shooter sees this and pots one right through my new gaping five-hole.

I'm sure that once I get back into the swing of things I'll feel more comfortable waiting a little to drop (if necessary at all), but right now I'm still re-learning my skates and angles (so to speak, after a three month layover) and I'm finding myself pretty unsure of my abilities down on the ice.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Martytoof posted:

I have no patience and drop way too soon.

To elaborate, one of two things usually happen:

1. I drop way too soon and give the shooter way too much time to adjust and go cross-crease, to which I respond too slowly and he throws it just wide of my pad since I have a relatively narrow butterfly.

I think its much easier to know when to drop once you've played against the same players for multiple games (at least). Everyone has tendencies.

If you're not sure about a certain player as a butterfly goalie you almost always want to err on the side of reactionary on anything that's not below the hash marks.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Something that helped me with not biting was learning to make all my saves while standing up at pick up once in a while. Literally refuse to drop on any shot that is outside the hash marks and notice how yes, you CAN make those saves without grabbing the butterfly security blanket. It gives you that mental edge to be able to stay up a tick longer.

That said, everyone gets beat by going down early sometimes, be it on a good fake or in a calculated chance that fails. It happens, don't worry too much about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cool, I'll try forcing myself to stay upright for a few outside-hash shots since there are a fair number when I play.

I'm not really broken up over my problems, but I am glad that I realize they're there so I can at least try to work them out :cool:

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I'm going to be starting to sharpen my own skates and I was wondering if anybody here had any tips (and/or even the basics) for how to go about sharpening my goalie skates? I've never sharpened a pair of skates, so I'm more than ready for the first few times to be pretty bad, but I still want to know what to expect and what to think about.

For the past few years I've been getting my skates cut at 1/2" but a) I don't really know what that entails and b) even if I get it cut with the same person, it doesn't always feel the same when I step onto the ice.

Basically, I love my skates sharp as hell... when I step on the ice I like to be able to feel like my skates are digging/biting into the ice and when I was playing at my height I would try and get them sharpened every week or so in order to keep that same level of sharpness.

So... any hints/tips/suggestions/Sharpening Your Goalie Skates for Dummies guidebooks?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
If you have never worked with metal before.. I dont suggest just trying it out. If you can find someone to teach you how to do it, in person, I would say that would be your safest bet.

I don't play ice, but I'm pretty sure this is what you want your skate to look like with a 1/2 radius.. someone correct me if I'm wrong

Basically you are skating on those two very thin sides (I am not sure how thin they would actually be, since I have no ice skates to measure or know what the hell I'm talking about) and the radius (1/2 R) fills up with liquid ice and you kinda float on that.

I think that is the science behind it anyways..

Yes I went all out to explain that.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
My boss is showing me as well, but I posted here in case there was anything else I should think of when I get to doing it myself.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
End of the regular season:
code:
League#:883 WED. INLINE HOCKEY GREEN      

Team name                        W   L   T Pts  Gf  Ga
------------------------------- -- ---  -- --- --- ---
WILD                             9   1   0  27  87  38
THE WASHUPS                      5   2   3  18  49  32
BLIZZARD                         5   3   2  17  60  31
SNOWSTORMS                       3   4   3  12  47  44
OUT SHINED                       3   5   2  11  45  56
T-MOBILE                         0  10   0   0  22 109
Best games were the 2 against T-Mobile, being my first two shutouts 11-0 and 9-0. Played the Washups tonight in the playoffs, and won 9-1. So we get to play the Wild next Weds. for the Championship. Split the 2 games during the season, winning 4-3, and losing 7-4. Hopefully, it'll be good.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
Holy crap 109 goals against.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Internet Victory posted:

Their defense doesn't really help out too much. Also, 11 of their 22 goals came in their two losses to the Wild, 15-7 and 15-4. :gonk:

The Washups, who we played tonight, beat us both times during the season 7-3 and 6-3. Though, we went up 3-0 quick today in the first 5 min, and piled on to an 8-0 halftime lead.

Our captain was suspended from a fight last week, so we had to bring in two guys that played for us once or twice each in the 10 games. They're really much better than anyone else on our team, so I'd like to get them every week, but they have other teams. The main thing though, is that they were on our official roster. Washups got so frustrated that they challenged our roster at halftime. Seriously, I know you're getting beat bad, but do you have to go that far? Delayed another 5 min as they had to bring out the rosters from the office.

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 17, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not that they weren't within their rights to challenge the roster, but they should have done it beforehand. Delaying games because all of a sudden you don't like who you're playing against is dumb. If they didn't care when they thought they were nobody-players, they don't really have a leg to stand on when they realized they're good.

Though near the end of some games I would kill for a five minute break :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 17, 2008

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Martytoof posted:

Not that they weren't within their rights to challenge the roster, but they should have done it beforehand. Delaying games because all of a sudden you don't like who you're playing against is dumb.

Ha, I played in a game tonight where there was a five minute break halfway through the third when we tied the game at 4 on a 5 on 3. The break was so the refs could tally the number of unsportsmanlikes to give the other team. We ended up getting two more 5 on 3 goals and another 5 on 4.

It pretty much hosed up the rest of the game but it was pretty funny watching the ref melt down and give out like five separate unsportsmanlike penalties and then telling their bench that yes, it was still 5 on 3 after each of our goals.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys must have a beefier team than we ever did. If each side got something like five penalties we'd be playing 2 on 2, 3 on 3 if you counted us goalies :v:

Joey Walnuts: I glossed over your post for some reason but god drat you just made me go haul my bag out of my garage at 1am and empty it all over the laundry room floor. gently caress spiders :fuckoff:

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

Martytoof posted:

Not that they weren't within their rights to challenge the roster, but they should have done it beforehand. Delaying games because all of a sudden you don't like who you're playing against is dumb. If they didn't care when you thought they were nobody-players, they don't really have a leg to stand on when they realized they're good.

I agree that they had the right to challenge it, but like you said, do it earlier. Not when you're down 8-0 at half, and the ref is about to drop the puck to start the 2nd half.

Also, if you're down 8-0 with 2 minutes to play, do you A) Call Timeout, or B) Let the clock run. If you picked A, you're correct. They scored then to make it 8-1 with 47 secs. left. I went for a poke, and my defenseman kicked it in by accident. It happens, meh. But we scored with :32 left, then called timeout. It was a dick move, but poo poo, they did it first.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Internet Victory posted:

Those numbers are pretty average for a roller beer league.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
In a ten game league you should have to play at least 5 times to qualify for playoffs...that's a terrible rule. I'd be pissed if I were on that other team and you guys brought in ringers too. My summer league is 17 games and you need 12 to qualifty as a skater, and 10 for a goalie.

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
So after not playing for 2 weeks due to a bacterial infection, i played my first game last night and was flat out out of my mind. Too bad we lost after i wanted to quit due to my stomach not wanting to play anymore and i gave up a garbage goal on a one timer i probably could have stopped the way i was playing that night, but I lost 18 pounds during a 4 day stretch with this infection and played with no food in my stomach. I feel great today though! :D

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

sba posted:

In a ten game league you should have to play at least 5 times to qualify for playoffs...that's a terrible rule. I'd be pissed if I were on that other team and you guys brought in ringers too. My summer league is 17 games and you need 12 to qualifty as a skater, and 10 for a goalie.

It's not like they didn't know the rule regarding that though. Maybe they should put some good guys on their roster next time then. :colbert:

Seriously though, I do agree with you there. We were only expecting one of them to show, to replace our captain/leading goal scorer (21). But both showed, so hey, works out for me.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

sba posted:

I think thats how my old roller league used to be...half the games to qualify for playoffs.

My two softball leagues have both ends of the rules though, 1 you have to play 1/2 the games (they collect scorecards at the end of the game), the other you just have to be on the roster, which was due July 1; playoffs won't start till September 15 or so.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
What level are you guys playing at? It's really common for the teams in my league to pickup ringers in the playoffs. It's annoying but it makes things more interesting.

You guys should be ready to take any shot from anyone at any time, MAN UP! :madmax:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did anyone get the latest HockeyGiant.com promotional email?

It's a TPS R4 set. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the "regular" price. Are they serious? Is 1000+ really the MSRP for an R4 set?

Edit: Titanium, I'm playing university beer league now, so it's basically a mixed crowd of AHL-wannabe grad students and 60 year old professors :haw:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 17, 2008

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

titanium posted:

What level are you guys playing at? It's really common for the teams in my league to pickup ringers in the playoffs. It's annoying but it makes things more interesting.

You guys should be ready to take any shot from anyone at any time, MAN UP! :madmax:

Here in Phoenix, you are required to fill out a sub-list before the season starts. Everyone on the sub-list must be approved by the league coordinator. No ringers allowed. If you try to sneak one in, your team forfeits the game and the captain is suspended for the next two games.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
one of my ice leagues is real lax about subs, and it sucks especially when there are traveling team try outs, and a bunch of really good kids are in town with nothing to do but sit around and wait for a team to ask them to play.

my roller league, basically as a rule there are no subs period, and if you use one the game is forfeited. plenty of times i've seen teams play an entire game with only 3 players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Hackva just released pictures of the new "Halo" helmet design!

Yes please!

• Locked thread