Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Wow, that looks like it'll suck to see out of unless they really push the face forward in the mask. Ick.

Good news bad news situation-

Good news: I've made 106 saves in the last two games;
Bad news: there were 117 shots in the last two games

I'm getting tired of losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
My stats are absolute crap this year. I've gotten shafted by the shot counter a couple times and my save % is sub .700. It should be closer to .8 :argh:

My team has only scored 15 goals in 7 games, so, you know, no pressure on me or anything.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 20, 2008

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

Wow, that looks like it'll suck to see out of unless they really push the face forward in the mask. Ick.

Good news bad news situation-

Good news: I've made 106 saves in the last two games;
Bad news: there were 117 shots in the last two games

I'm getting tired of losing.

Dude, you and me both. My GAA is 4.76 and my save% is .910

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you guys actually all play with a shot counter or keep your own tally? I've always had to keep my own so my stats have been.. well.. inflated, so say the least :v:

"Me? Oh it was another 150 shot night :cool:"

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

Do you guys actually all play with a shot counter or keep your own tally? I've always had to keep my own so my stats have been.. well.. inflated, so say the least :v:

"Me? Oh it was another 150 shot night :cool:"

shot counter!

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

crusader donkey posted:

My stats are absolute crap this year. I've gotten shafted by the shot counter a couple times and my save % is sub .700. It should be closer to .8 :argh:

My team has only scored 15 goals in 7 games, so, you know, no pressure on me or anything.

We've got this one girl that keeps score and shots. The other team will come down the ice and lay a good 4 or 5 shots on me. I'll look up at the board and shots are still the same and the scorekeeper is texting away on her phone not paying attention to anything. I know I should only be concerned about the score, but goddammit if I'm gonna lose, I want it to at least look like I put up a fight.

On the other hand, there's one guy that inflates the shot count. Pass to the point? Oh that's a shot. I pick up a loose puck? That's a shot. Though it does look cool when the scoreboard shows 100 shots and 3 goals.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

I know I should only be concerned about the score, but goddammit if I'm gonna lose, I want it to at least look like I put up a fight.

Good job giving up three goals on two shots :cool:

I've always wanted to volunteer at rinks just for this reason. I've got spare time and I actually care about the game being played more than "OMG HI HOW R U *send*"

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Another goalie checking in here. Played professionally in Europe (okay, it was Ireland, I'll admit it) this past year. Anyone else here a Mage/Mage II wearer? I switched to the Mage II a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. If you're looking for a new mask, I heartily recommend it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
it's almost like you're that dude primetime or something from hfboards

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Tim Thomas posted:

it's almost like you're that dude primetime or something from hfboards

Almost.

Hey I am. What's up dude?

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
I have to keep my own stats as well. We have a scorekeeper, but that's about it. Same problem as Joey Walnuts though, the broad that they hired recently won't stop texting. EVER.

Someone injured on the court, clock runs. Within 2 under 2 minutes, whistle blows, clock runs. (We do stoppage under 2 min. if within 2). For fucks sake, at least listen for the whistle.

Joey Walnuts posted:

Here in Phoenix, you are required to fill out a sub-list before the season starts. Everyone on the sub-list must be approved by the league coordinator. No ringers allowed. If you try to sneak one in, your team forfeits the game and the captain is suspended for the next two games.

Same for us, that's why we had them on the 'official' roster that was due by the second game. They may have been ringers, but according to the league rules, they were on the team.

Should people complain, they may think about adding the game minimum to the rules. I'm actually for it, as I do feel it to be unfair to the teams that may not have that extra guy or two to call on.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Almost.

Hey I am. What's up dude?

not too much, i always liked reading your posts prior to getting banned from there (penguinmanamato). you'll like it here.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

We lost 11-2 last night to a team we could probably beat if we played to our potential. 5 or 6 of the goals they had somebody left alone in front or our defense playing a 2-on-1 terribly. The others were the defense letting the puck carrier walk into the slot untouched. I had to make 26 saves to keep us from getting mercied.

I swear we're like a bunch of 5 year olds playing soccer, everybody follows the puck. We have one defender who likes to somehow end up at the point when the other team is cycling in our zone, leaving a guy open by the net. As soon as our defense gets the puck looking to break out, our forwards are cherry picking at the other team's goal line and we either have to just dump it or turn it over trying to make a long pass. I don't mind losing but when we get killed by mediocre teams nabyfigasdfklugkjfsda.
[/rant]

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

New R10s. Bleh. Looks like an Eagle Fusion graphics stitcher went haywire.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

your pads look like salt water taffy

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Sup South rink at Logitech Ice. Is that you or just some random person, Martytoof?

I can't count how many times I've been on the ice when my group has cut down to the paint doing drills on that rink.

Edit: Oh my bad, Sharks Ice at San Jose, not Logitech Ice anymore... stupid naming bullshit.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 21, 2008

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
All you goalies here... I figured this would be the prime place to ask... Would there be any interest in Fleury Pattern Pro Return KOHO sticks from his rookie year? I've got some sitting here I've had since 2003.

Black Stick with White KOHO

These babies are vintage now! :)

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, those are pretty hideous...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deer_fire posted:

Is that you or just some random person, Martytoof?

Yeah, that's not me, just a photo I stole from the GSBB.

I'm in Canada :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Krime posted:

All you goalies here... I figured this would be the prime place to ask... Would there be any interest in Fleury Pattern Pro Return KOHO sticks from his rookie year? I've got some sitting here I've had since 2003.

Black Stick with White KOHO

These babies are vintage now! :)

There's always interest in pro returns. I have a Luongo Florida pro return in some pretty iffy colours, but it's a hella good stick. What are you asking?

For the record, I can't buy since I'm broke, but it's always good to know :)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
We won our first of two games for the playoffs last night 0-8. I was a loving brick wall.. made a few really nice glove saves and was just doing great overall. My cousin died Saturday night and I got the news the minute I woke up on Sunday. I kept thinking of her the whole game and I dunno for some crazy reason I think it helped. I felt great.. maybe it was my new "Under armor" crap.. I dunno.

Next Sunday is the final game of this season.. and I really want a stupid plastic trophy.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Martytoof posted:

There's always interest in pro returns. I have a Luongo Florida pro return in some pretty iffy colours, but it's a hella good stick. What are you asking?

For the record, I can't buy since I'm broke, but it's always good to know :)

I looked around online and it looks like pro level sticks sell anywhere from $100-$175 depending on the model.

I'd be happy with getting $80 + shipping.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Played against Jocelyn Lemieux tonight. Holy crap. I didn't know who he was until after the game. I felt much better knowing that an ex NHL'er lit me up all night.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Joey Walnuts posted:

Played against Jocelyn Lemieux tonight. Holy crap. I didn't know who he was until after the game. I felt much better knowing that an ex NHL'er lit me up all night.

I know the feeling, I was playing with a NHL/AHL/Euro pro league alumni group last fall/winter and those guys force you to be honest. Totally different mindset since they'll catch you cheating anywhere and make you look like an idiot. It makes you a better goalie though so I love it.

994 on ice review:

I've been on the ice twice with the 994's now and I love them. The softer knee stack makes a huge difference in comparison to my early purchased 993's. I really wish I would have taken them up for the replacement ones before. The thinner thighrise is great, I have zero bumping between the pads when moving or going butterfly. Before I was iffy on my purchase but now I have zero regrets, the 993's are excellent pads but these are perfect for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hot drat, I'm finally playing tonight after -- what -- a four month layover?

The medial rolls go on the inside, right? :haw:

Postgame Edit:

HOCKEY gently caress YEAH :rock:

Seriously, that was so much fun. Good advice on not going down on every shot from outside the circles, I made some nice saves and found that I still had time to drive to the ice if it was coming in low.

I'm playing way too deep in net I found, but that'll get fixed. The other goalie complimented me on my quick feet too. I made some loving AMAZING (not to boast, I just thought they were amazing for my talent level :) ) saves after getting beat initially on 2 on 1 and 2 on 0s. I was lightning quick digging in and making the toe save on the other side. Stopped 100% of the four breakaways I faced.

I mean, we still lost 6-5 but that was the kind of game that made me feel good about being a goalie despite the loss. This was less a game than an "organized" shinny where score was kept, so the defense was typical shinny fare. I did get beat on a slapper from the point where I was way too deep. In fact, most of the goals scored on me were up high but from inside the circles.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 24, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Found on another forum. From the Hawks' prospect camp:

Jiri Niemi has a loving bfly. My hips are aching just looking at that :aaa:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 24, 2008

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's a lot like Price's. Pretty sweet shape.

Those high shots from in tight are a shooter's paradise but one of the things I like to do is pull my glove/blocker back into my chest and shrug my shoulders (basically a pure blocking mechanism, who cares if you smother it at that point). On high shots off a lateral pass work on getting your entire upper body to your new angle instead of leading with your pad/glove/blocker (obviously you simply can't get you're entire body there on time on some shots but its a good thing to try). I made a several shoulder saves last week on bfly pushes coming across on low circle one timers that I simply wouldn't have made if I had led with my glove.

Also I started my workout regiment today (fuckin squats) to get back in shape for an eventual return to college hockey and I'm totally looking for some exercises to vary my routine if anyone has any suggestions.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 24, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually try for the shoulder block, but I'm always underestimating how far I need to shift and shrug. Whenever I get beat on a shrug save I'm consistently maybe three or four inches off, I'm told. I honestly think part of that is keeping focus on the puck and tracking it all the way into me. I'd like to think I do that but I can't think of any other reason I'd be a foot off consistently, and to be completely honest I can't remember right this second whether or not I do track the puck from shot to impact. Seems like something you should be able to remember but v:)v

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Also I started my workout regiment today (fuckin squats) to get back in shape for an eventual return to college hockey and I'm totally looking for some exercises to vary my routine if anyone has any suggestions.

Lunges, Leg Press, Squats, Sprints, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics, Plyometrics.

Seriously, aside from the usual lower body stuff like lunges, squats, and leg presses, anything that works on you loading your legs, exploding out from that position, landing and loading and then exploding back out and repeating that in one fluid motion is easily the best goalie workouts that exist.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

T-Bone posted:

That's a lot like Price's. Pretty sweet shape.

Until he gets railroaded and ends up in the hospital with torn tendons and ligaments everywhere from his groin to his knees. The wider you go, the scarier it gets. It's also tough to maintain. You can't expect a guy who does that at 20 to do the same thing at 25, let alone 30.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Until he gets railroaded and ends up in the hospital with torn tendons and ligaments everywhere from his groin to his knees. The wider you go, the scarier it gets. It's also tough to maintain. You can't expect a guy who does that at 20 to do the same thing at 25, let alone 30.

I doubt he uses the widest butterfly known to man on every shot. He'll make adjustments as he ages; every pro goalie does.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yes.....

My butterfly is also tremendously wide, I just exhibit extremely poor judgment ;)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My butterfly is beautiful.. I'll try to get some pics. I just have this horrible habit of opening my legs at the last possible second.. I'm a dirty whore.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

I've been planning on working on (read: learning how to) my butterfly for a few weeks but I haven't really had the time. I think the butterfly style is too boring as a whole, but as a first-save mechanic it's about as effective as you get so it could only help my game. I'm afraid I might have to buy new pads because mine are such turds that you might not even be able to butterfly in them.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
the best part about that butterfly is that as a first save mechanic, it's loving terrible since the puck is at best going to get put back to the dots and back in the slot at worst.

i have the ability to cover the entire net when necessary with a butterfly but it's really only usable in a desperation attempt.

on a side note, if y'all feel like you've plateau'd despite being pretty good, try working your mental game. we got outshot about 2 to 1 and the last 3 minutes saw me pulling a couple saves out of my rear end, but i got a 3-2 win because i never really treated it as a pressure situation. worth a shot.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Well, the way I see it, better back out in the slot or the dots than in the back of the net. I get beat along the ice far too often, although I suppose making sure my stick is getting down and in position would be a better start.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of sticks in position, Melted actually tipped me off that I was playing with an excessively long paddle. Since I'm loving poor instead of going out and buying a 25" I took one of my lovely heavy 26" sticks and shaved an inch off the paddle. The result? loving amazing. The stick feels natural and stays where I want it when I drive my knees to the ice, instead of moving around because it's too long.

I'm not sure I'm ready to take the blade to all my expensive sticks, but I'm certainly thinking about it. Not to mention all my paddles from hereon out will be 25" :v:

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of sticks in position, Melted actually tipped me off that I was playing with an excessively long paddle. Since I'm loving poor instead of going out and buying a 25" I took one of my lovely heavy 26" sticks and shaved an inch off the paddle. The result? loving amazing. The stick feels natural and stays where I want it when I drive my knees to the ice, instead of moving around because it's too long.

I'm not sure I'm ready to take the blade to all my expensive sticks, but I'm certainly thinking about it. Not to mention all my paddles from hereon out will be 25" :v:

If you trust yourself at all, do it. The more you play and ingrain a bad habit the more it will still be there despite any change you make to correct it.

I'm currently coaching this kid that drives me loving nuts because all his poo poo is a good size or two too big... He's like 12 or something, so I can't really fault that too much since obviously nobody wants to be buying a new set of goalie equipment ever year, but it's obvious in how much it adversely affects him.

He has probably the laziest stickwork I have ever had the displeasure of watching, and I've told him at least 30 times over the past month to make sure he pays attention to it. He'll do it for 2 reps, then get back into his old, lazy habits of having the stick nowhere near where it's supposed to be. With a stick that's too big usually what happens is when you go down it will either end up past the 5-hole on the opposite side from which you hold your stick (IE if you hold it in your right hand, it will end up past your 5-hole on the left side, heel of the stick in line with your left knee) or it straight out from your 5-hole as you try and tuck your arms, basically making an upside down T - his has to be at least 3-5 inches too big and when he goes down, probably 90% of the time his stick ends up 6-8 inches to the left of his 5-hole with the heel of the stick being the only thing touching the ice. Anyways, the point of all that was to say this: On Tuesday he forgot his stick and was forced to use a stick that was too small for him and the exact same thing happened where he over-committed his stick to his left.

Seriously, take every precaution you can to avoid falling into bad habits because even if the cause of it is rectified (like getting the correct size stick or whatever it may be), the habits you formed while using the wrong equipment will stick with you for a long time unless you work your rear end off to fix them too - and nobody does because nobody realizes those habits are still there (or in some cases even there in the first place).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deer_fire posted:

If you trust yourself at all, do it. The more you play and ingrain a bad habit the more it will still be there despite any change you make to correct it.

I actually wanted to keep from hacking them up to see if I could find anyone in the area who wanted a 26" inch stick for cheap so I can buy a new shorter one, but then again who wants used goalie sticks anyway :pwn:

These babies have a date with my jigsaw.

My stick was consistently falling a few inches from my five-hole like you said. That or it was so unnatural to keep in that spot that I'd subconsciously just move it and not even keep up a pretence that it was supposed to be covering the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've found stick problems are pretty easy to fix once the goalie is prescribed the right lie.

Now fixing a goalie who is afraid of the puck (PRE SLAPSHOT!) - that's a fun time.

• Locked thread