Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
as much as the owner is a chode, the chest protectors sold by don simmons are top notch. i upgraded my matrix with a couple stitchings and extra pads 4 years ago and it's still a tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Tim Thomas posted:

as much as the owner is a chode, the chest protectors sold by don simmons are top notch. i upgraded my matrix with a couple stitchings and extra pads 4 years ago and it's still a tank
I know what you mean. I've had a 992 for 2 and a half years now, and it has been nothing but reliable. I can touch my nose and fly around the crease with it, but I can also count the numbers of stingers that I've had with it equipped on one hand.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fenix424 posted:

What do you think a realistic time-frame is for someone who has never skated before to average beer-league goalie would be? I guess i need to know how long its going to take me to not be worthless on skates :smith:

Absolutely agree with Internet Victory. Just go to open skate for one or two sessions to get used to your skates. It's very easy once you get used to not having a curve on your blade. In fact, skating on goalie skates is actually EASIER in my opinion, you just have to break your habits from player skates.

Again, if you are a good skater already I would say that you'll pick up goalie skates within the first hour. You'll get better and I'd say even comfortable with them by the end of your second session.

If you're just getting into playing goal and you're trying to self-teach yourself the position I'd say be very patient with yourself. Watch as many goalies as you can. When you go to the rink, stand behind the glass behind the net and watch what the good goalies do, how they react, and mimic what they do. I still do that to this day. Before my games I'll go out and stand behind the net and try to play the plays on the ice. Go to as many pickups as you can. People will know you're learning so I wouldn't expect anyone will give you a hard time. Ask other goalies for advice.

Until you are comfortable on your skates I suspect you'll be playing a lot of "drop down to your knees and reach for the puck" goaltending very deep in your net. Try to be aware of that. The more comfortable you get with how your pads work and how far you can push yourself the more comfortable you will be playing out in the net.

As far as a timeframe for goaltending, that's very very dependent on the person. It took me about ten or twelve open drop-in sessions before I was comfortable applying for the house beginner league. I'd say it took a season of that before I actually was a decent goaltender. I've also seen the guy I lent my pads to once take to it like a fish to water. Within a month he was already as good as I was after six months, and as far as I know he's playing high C/B hockey right now.

If you're self teaching yourself, you WILL pick up some bad habits. Just be aware of that. I self taught myself and my angles are somewhat weak and my five hole needs work. Overall I'm a good goalie but most of the goals I give up are because I should be an inch to the left or right. A small adjustment that I'm sure could be drilled into me, but hasn't been. If you can afford it, I would recommend a goalie camp in your area. I know I'm going to spring for one as soon as I can afford it :cool:

But that's my two cents.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got a decision to make.

I play with a group of C/B players right now on Tuesdays 11pm (Let's call it a B-level group), and I want to pick up another group on another day. Here is what is available:

Thursday 11pm: Beginner/D league group shinny
PRO: Organized by the same guys who run my Tuesday games.
CON: For players who can barely skate pass or shoot. Talent much lower aside from one or two guys.

Friday Noon: Adult Shinny, usually a mix of C/B/A players.
PRO: Level of talent is about the same or better than my Tuesday night game.
CON: It's a public shinny so there's a 25% chance it's me and two other guys and that's it.

I can't make both. My body will currently physically not let me play back to back games. I'm trying to decide what would be better for my development. I'm leaning towards the Friday shinny since I'd like to face as high level as I can, but I don't know.

I think playing the lower level shooters would help me by giving me more time to set up angles and think about what I'm doing, but playing the higher level shooters teaches me to think faster on my feet.

What would you guys recommend, short of going to both. That'll be an option when I get my conditioning back in order but for now I need a day in between to rest :v:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Does anyone here do any sort of pylometric routine, if so, what sort of jumps should I start working on? I'm currently just sticking to the basic vertical jump where you start down in a squatting position with your hands on the ground and then explode up and raise my arms into the air. However, I'm not too sure where to go from there.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Holy crap look at all the goalies on SA. It looks like I'm going to play for the first time in FIVE YEARS at the end of this month. I played practically every day of my life through high school, but didn't have time in college. I've finally found a league in NYC that will let me store my equipment (for free) AND play for free. I'm a little worried about rust but I'm still young and in fairly good shape so I feel like its going to all come back fast. When I grab my gear from storage in my parents basement I'll put up some pics of my beat up old pads.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Aniki posted:

Does anyone here do any sort of pylometric routine, if so, what sort of jumps should I start working on? I'm currently just sticking to the basic vertical jump where you start down in a squatting position with your hands on the ground and then explode up and raise my arms into the air. However, I'm not too sure where to go from there.

I've been looking into plyometrics recently but haven't really built up a routine yet. Squat jumps are one of them, and can also be done while holding weights and it's called 'cleans'. I've read that lunges and side lunges are considered plyos, though I don't see the power in them unless they're lunge jumps. Frog jumps, seated twist, and 'burpees' are also good plyometric exercises, though I have yet to work burpees into my routine yet; I haven't done them since the 5th grade, so I have to remember how to not slaughter my wrists whilst performing them. Also, a lot of the plyos I've youtube'd include medicine balls and boxes to hop over, neither of which my school's gym have (weights and cardio weights and cardio, that's all we have, that's all we need! weights and cardio!).

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm not a goalie, but I used this list (http://exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html) to pick and choose what I thought would be the plyometric exercises that best mimic what a forward skater does in games.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to work some if it in soon.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

I've got a decision to make.

I play with a group of C/B players right now on Tuesdays 11pm (Let's call it a B-level group), and I want to pick up another group on another day. Here is what is available:

Thursday 11pm: Beginner/D league group shinny
PRO: Organized by the same guys who run my Tuesday games.
CON: For players who can barely skate pass or shoot. Talent much lower aside from one or two guys.

Friday Noon: Adult Shinny, usually a mix of C/B/A players.
PRO: Level of talent is about the same or better than my Tuesday night game.
CON: It's a public shinny so there's a 25% chance it's me and two other guys and that's it.

I can't make both. My body will currently physically not let me play back to back games. I'm trying to decide what would be better for my development. I'm leaning towards the Friday shinny since I'd like to face as high level as I can, but I don't know.

I think playing the lower level shooters would help me by giving me more time to set up angles and think about what I'm doing, but playing the higher level shooters teaches me to think faster on my feet.

What would you guys recommend, short of going to both. That'll be an option when I get my conditioning back in order but for now I need a day in between to rest :v:

I've always had the mindset that when you play against the best you become better as long as you don't accept failure. It sounds cheesy as gently caress but I'd rather play against people with fast passing and excellent shots than some slow group that doesn't know their position. You'll get lazy playing against sloppy lovely players.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

titanium posted:

I've always had the mindset that when you play against the best you become better as long as you don't accept failure. It sounds cheesy as gently caress but I'd rather play against people with fast passing and excellent shots than some slow group that doesn't know their position. You'll get lazy playing against sloppy lovely players.

Agreed. I play with Tier I Players (best in Phoenix) twice a week at pick-up. They light me up the entire time. I don't think I've ever been there and had fewer than 10 goals scored on me. Some of them actually help me by telling me where I need to be positioned.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. I actually went to the Thursday night scrubfest and found that a bunch of the good guys from Tuesday are going to be there as well, but I've got stuck on their team so I think I took pretty much all of five shots all night. The worst part? Two went in. One was the spitting image of the Toskala bounce-puck goal. I was pretty mortified.

But it's hard to get into a groove when you've got guys shutting down scrubs before they can even make it into your zone :(

So I'm probably going to just go Fridays to the pickup.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

titanium posted:

This. I play, and in return get, so much better playing with guys who are fast and know what to do with the puck. The only way you're going to get any better is playing at a level that constantly challenges you. I'm a LW, but I'd have to think its the same for goalies.

But it also helps out when your pads dwarf Giggy's like Titanium's do ;)

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

fenix424 posted:

What do you think a realistic time-frame is for someone who has never skated before to average beer-league goalie would be? I guess i need to know how long its going to take me to not be worthless on skates :smith:

Honestly it shouldn't take you too long to be good enough to play on a D team. D league goalies can be pretty harsh to watch but most teams just appreciate that you're there. Keep in mind its common courtesy to not pay league fees when you're a goalie so thats an added perk. I save about $450 per season Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter so factor that into the cost of goalie gear you end up ahead pretty quick :D

Get out to some open skates figure out if the other goalies are dicks, if they're not ask them questions. If you go with some friends that play forward ask them where you're open or what you're doing wrong and you should be able to pick up fast.

Vaughn has some good writeups on the basics of goaltending for beginners too so check those articles out.
http://www.vaughnhockey.com/goaltending_resources/goaltending_resources.htm

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Zinc. posted:

This. I play, and in return get, so much better playing with guys who are fast and know what to do with the puck. The only way you're going to get any better is playing at a level that constantly challenges you. I'm a LW, but I'd have to think its the same for goalies.

But it also helps out when your pads dwarf Giggy's like Titanium's do ;)

How dare you! I'm 2" short on my legpads and after watching the one save wonder (Giggy) last night I know my chest pad is well under NHL spec. Just cause I'm 6'2" doesn't mean I'm cheating.

(Chest may look larger due to goalie jersey)

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. I actually went to the Thursday night scrubfest and found that a bunch of the good guys from Tuesday are going to be there as well, but I've got stuck on their team so I think I took pretty much all of five shots all night. The worst part? Two went in. One was the spitting image of the Toskala bounce-puck goal. I was pretty mortified.

But it's hard to get into a groove when you've got guys shutting down scrubs before they can even make it into your zone :(

So I'm probably going to just go Fridays to the pickup.

Don't worry, you're precisely on par with Budaj's first period last night.
:iceburn:
(on Budaj, not you :))

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Agreed. I play with Tier I Players (best in Phoenix) twice a week at pick-up. They light me up the entire time. I don't think I've ever been there and had fewer than 10 goals scored on me. Some of them actually help me by telling me where I need to be positioned.

Which rink do you plat at? I normally play at Polar Ice Chandler, but I've also played at Oceanside, Ozzie Ice, Polar Ice Gilbert and a couple of inline rinks.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Which rink do you plat at? I normally play at Polar Ice Chandler, but I've also played at Oceanside, Ozzie Ice, Polar Ice Gilbert and a couple of inline rinks.

Beginner B & C in Chandler, baby. :c00l:

Friday/Saturday nights at either 9:30 or 11:15. I go to Ozzie on Tuesday night drop-in every now and again since it's right down the street from my house.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Beginner B & C in Chandler, baby. :c00l:

Friday/Saturday nights at either 9:30 or 11:15. I go to Ozzie on Tuesday night drop-in every now and again since it's right down the street from my house.

I'm normally there on Fridays for the 9:40 open hockey, though I may start playing at Gilbert soon, since it's closer to me.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Literally 8 seconds away from a shutout tonight. Breakaway. Goal. At least we won. Sure did want that shutout though.

Also, if anyone wants it, I've got this Itech Prodigy chest protector that you can have if you pay shipping. I used it for about 8 months and it's still in decent shape.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006

Joey Walnuts posted:

Literally 8 seconds away from a shutout tonight. Breakaway. Goal. At least we won. Sure did want that shutout though.

Also, if anyone wants it, I've got this Itech Prodigy chest protector that you can have if you pay shipping. I used it for about 8 months and it's still in decent shape.

Why don't you want it anymore, and what size is it?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

SmutAnEggs posted:

Why don't you want it anymore, and what size is it?

I don't need it and I figure someone else could use it. I bought a new one a couple weeks ago. Not sure what size it is since the tags fell off long ago, but I'm 5'9" 150 and it fits me perfectly.

gco
May 8, 2007

Joey Walnuts posted:

Is that a pro or senior?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

gco posted:

Is that a pro or senior?

It was my first chest protector, so I'm guessing it's a Senior. It says Prodigy CP 4.8 on it if that helps.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm actually interested in this, if I weren't a fatass and 50 pounds heavier than you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My C/A is apparently meant for small children :lol:

But I love it anyway. McKenney 4 EVA :whatup:

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

My C/A is apparently meant for small children :lol:

But I love it anyway. McKenney 4 EVA :whatup:

C/A? Chest/Arm...?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gco posted:

C/A? Chest/Arm...?

Yup!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

The Mandingo posted:

I'm actually interested in this, if I weren't a fatass and 50 pounds heavier than you.

Same here. I weighed myself yesterday, and it was horrifying. When I was playing hockey consistantly, that would've fit me no problem. No so sure now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. When I think about the fact that I'm 190 again, I realize that I'm basically on the ice with the equivalent of a small dog strapped to my chest. Time to hit the gym :suicide:

gco
May 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. When I think about the fact that I'm 190 again, I realize that I'm basically on the ice with the equivalent of a small dog strapped to my chest. Time to hit the gym :suicide:

How tall are you? I personally have actually been trying to gain weight... and height... I've gained 30 lbs over the past year but it's been from working out and I don't look any more different than I did before I started going to the gym except biceps 2x the size they used to be and more tree trunk-esque legs, as a hockey player should have. Last year I was 5'8 115 and now I'm up to 5'9.5 145. Maybe I'm still growing, or maybe these stretches are actually working and my spine is getting longer. It'll be a wonderful day if I ever reach 6'1 and cover the top corners of the net with my shoulders while in stance. Until then, I have to actually try and make those saves.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm 5'10 190. I ought to be low to mid 170s.

Heightwise, I'm pretty happy. I do get beat up top a fair amount but that's more because I go down early than my height.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

gco posted:

How tall are you? I personally have actually been trying to gain weight... and height... I've gained 30 lbs over the past year but it's been from working out and I don't look any more different than I did before I started going to the gym except biceps 2x the size they used to be and more tree trunk-esque legs, as a hockey player should have. Last year I was 5'8 115 and now I'm up to 5'9.5 145. Maybe I'm still growing, or maybe these stretches are actually working and my spine is getting longer. It'll be a wonderful day if I ever reach 6'1 and cover the top corners of the net with my shoulders while in stance. Until then, I have to actually try and make those saves.
Manny Legace is basically a midget and he is a pretty good goalie, so don't feel bad.

okay he's like 5'9 and 160 or something but based on the cursory research I've done that's definitely on the small side for a goalie (a few others I just looked up because they were the goalies that I thought of off the top of my head [all stats taken from espn]: Luongo - 6'3 205; Toskala - 5'10 195; Osgood - 5'10 181; Nabokov - 6' 200)

gco
May 8, 2007

Moe_Rahn posted:

Manny Legace is basically a midget and he is a pretty good goalie, so don't feel bad.

okay he's like 5'9 and 160 or something but based on the cursory research I've done that's definitely on the small side for a goalie (a few others I just looked up because they were the goalies that I thought of off the top of my head [all stats taken from espn]: Luongo - 6'3 205; Toskala - 5'10 195; Osgood - 5'10 181; Nabokov - 6' 200)

Yeah, he's my motivation. Well, not really because I usually find myself saying, 'well at least I'm taller than Manny Legace.'
I just had camp with Steve Valiquette over the summer and my god he is a giant. At 6'6, he's the tallest goalie to ever play in the NHL, his head soared above everyone else's at the camp, including all the adult shooters. I wouldn't mind being that tall, it's just that around 6'3, anything higher becomes pretty much irrelevant unless you want to wear 37+1s or 38s and brag about how it actually fits on you.
After seeing Valiquette, I'm deathly afraid of ever being on the same ice as Chara.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
I'm MAYBE 5'6". I always did ok though, because being in position, and being able to get into position are the two most important aspects of goaltending. Obviously, being small has no impact on being in proper position (except that I played further out to cut down angles and make up for my size), and I had the advantage of being a lot quicker, having the agility to change direction faster than my bigger counterparts, so getting into position doesn't pose much problem. The real disadvantage, I suppose, is that I have to move a lot farther, a lot more often, so stamina building always ranked above general strength building in my exercise. Flexibility came second, and third were non weight-based exercises designed to make use of my flexibility in explosive movements. Being able to trick or influence a shooter into picking the spot you want them to, because you know you can fill that spot instantaneously, is an important tool to have.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So I think I wanna start playing ice. How hard of a transition do you think I'll have comming from only roller. I have only ice skated a handful of times.. but am going to start practicing. Should I just go out and buy goal skates right away.. or should I go the more expensive route and get regular player skates and then goal skates?

If anything I think playing on ice would be a bit easier.. I will finnally be able to slide.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

So I think I wanna start playing ice. How hard of a transition do you think I'll have comming from only roller. I have only ice skated a handful of times.. but am going to start practicing. Should I just go out and buy goal skates right away.. or should I go the more expensive route and get regular player skates and then goal skates?

If anything I think playing on ice would be a bit easier.. I will finnally be able to slide.

There was an 8-hour turnaround between the first time I ever ice skated and the first I played an open hockey session on ice. I certainly wouldn't want to attempt that if I were a player, but as a goalie you can get by with only an adequate level of skating. Granted, playing a couple seasons of inline on a sports court surface likely made the transition easier, but in general I've found ice to be a lot more favorable for goalies than inline.

As for skating, you're probably better off just starting out with goalie skates and if you have the time/money a power skating class would be a good investment. Also, try to take advantage of open hockey and hockey skills sessions, since you'll be able to play open hockey for free and some places will even pay you to attend skill sessions. Though if you go to a skill session, just remember that they are very focused on the skaters, so the only "insctuction" you'll really get is just seeing the same shot over and over. It can get a bit repetitive, but don't worry about how many pucks you let in the net and just use it as an opportunity to face shots and work on your own game.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Hey thanks.. that was really helpful. There are about 5-6 ice rinks around my area so I don't think I'll have any problem getting in on some public games and such. Any time on the rink would be a benefit and I'm sure I would learn a lot.

Plus the girlfriend wants to try her hand at ice skating.. so I can take her and learn myself.

And I am pretty sure I am doing this wrong.. but for roller hockey I wear:
Thick socks
Knee pads
A girdle/pants/cup combo (it is a thinner girdle made for roller hockey players, but works well as goal pads)
And then over all that I wear some hockey pants.

I just got a thicker girdle/pants set from my buddy, but they are ugly/green/old.. and I was wondering if anyone wears hockey pants outside of their girdle. I would imagine on ice they would get wet and heavy..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

From the inside out I put on (in order):

- neoprene compression for both thighs and both knees
- compression short/cup/velcro combo (example)
- hockey socks
- goal cup
- skates
- knee pads outside socks
- goalie pants
- goalie pads
- c/a
- suspenders over c/a
- jersey
- gloves
- helmet
- badass winning attitude

Also, definitely jump right into goalie skates unless you plan to play both skater and goal. I think it will be harder to go from Goalie -> Skater than it would be to go from Skater -> Goalie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
I'm trying to find a cat-eye cage for my Badger Elite goalie mask made in 1995. Here's what it looks like:

I have looked at the Itech and Hackva cages but those are to small. The opening on this mask/cage is huge:smith:

• Locked thread