Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Went to the pro-shop today to try on some skates.. The guy wouldn't let me try any on unless I told him I was buying from the store. He was kinda a dick until I told him I would buy from there. Looked at some RBK 5ks.. nice boot pretty comfy. Online they run 189ish.. at the store they were 299 with a free bake and sharpening.. so I can justify that I think.

Guy said baking is $50 and sharpening runs $20 (US).. are they about average prices for those services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Polish posted:

Went to the pro-shop today to try on some skates.. The guy wouldn't let me try any on unless I told him I was buying from the store. He was kinda a dick until I told him I would buy from there. Looked at some RBK 5ks.. nice boot pretty comfy. Online they run 189ish.. at the store they were 299 with a free bake and sharpening.. so I can justify that I think.

Guy said baking is $50 and sharpening runs $20 (US).. are they about average prices for those services?

poo poo, I just paid $6 to get mine sharpened.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Polish posted:

Doesn't sound right to me. I always paid 5 bucks or so for my skates to get sharpened. Don't know about baking.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Polish posted:

That's retarded high. The places around here charge $5 for sharpening and I think $20 for baking. At the place I go to, they sharpen for free since I bought the skates from them. That guy sounds like a horrible cock.

From their site :

"On all BTM Ice Hockey Skate Purchases :

* *Free Heat Molding and Initial Sharpening ($25 value)
* *Request 1/2" or 3/8" blade cut Free of charge"

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If they won't let you try them on without buying gently caress them.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Polish posted:

sharpening runs $20 (US)

Holy hell, I still pay like 3$ back home, for player skates, but still, wtf. Also sticking them in the oven and getting compressed is loving included.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think there's sharpening and then there's the initial cut. Keep in mind that skates come out of the box perfectly flat. It is arguably more work, and more wear and tear on the equipment. Just how much more I can't say. It may be negligible or it may not be. I can't say I know.

I've always paid somewhere about $20 for the initial cut, but that included the bake and all the trimmings. After that, I haven't paid more than $5 a week to keep my skates sharp. I cut them every other game. I really REALLY like mine sharp :v:

But like everyone says, gently caress that store if they won't let you try poo poo on without buying then and there. If you really can't find another store, just tell them that you're going to get a bonus at work and are planning what skates to buy or you're shopping for a birthday present for yourself or something if you REALLY need to make up an excuse to try them on :rolleyes:

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
Yeah, you guys are idiots if you're comparing your sharpenings to the first cut which usually runs around $15. My shop charges $50 for baking and $15 for the first sharpening so you didn't get ripped off thaaaat bad. The other thing to keep in mind when you buy from a shop is that you're paying sales tax that you probably wouldn't pay online.

Also, Minister Robathan, they charge for baking if you bring in skates to get baked that you didn't buy there. It's to encourage you buying them in store.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

I've always paid somewhere about $20 for the initial cut, but that included the bake and all the trimmings. After that, I haven't paid more than $5 a week to keep my skates sharp. I cut them every other game. I really REALLY like mine sharp :v:

Good christ, man...how do you slide from post to post? I've had my skates for almost a year now and I've had them sharpened twice.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Well.. from the looks of things I guess I'll be checking out some other pro shops in the area for pricing. There is plenty of them so yeah.. gently caress that place.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Polish posted:

Well.. from the looks of things I guess I'll be checking out some other pro shops in the area for pricing. There is plenty of them so yeah.. gently caress that place.

Just chiming in on the baking / sharpening.

My proshop charges $5 for regular sharpenings and $6 for a custom (anything other than 1/2" on regular skates)

Baking is a $25 fee if you don't buy from us.

If you buy from us, we bake and sharpen them for free.

Also, the salesperson is a dick for not letting you try anything on. That's just the dumbest thing I think I've ever heard

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
He did let me try them on after I told him I would buy there. I used to work at a paintball store where people would come in and try poo poo out.. leave and buy it online. So I can understand why he would do that.. but he still shouldn't of been a dick.

But now that I look at it.. the 3ks are 185 online.. and the 5k are 269. And at the store the 5k were 299.. so its really not a bad deal.

http://hockeygiant.com/rbk5kpmpgsktsr.html

Any comments.. good skate? Bad skate?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i got my player skates sharpened (first time) for $7 from great skate. most of the online stores will sharpen them for you before they ship them off, then you don't have to pay a ridiculous initial cut charge from the pro shop.

i pay $7 to get mine sharpened everytime FYI

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
Re-posting on this page.

I'm trying to find a cat-eye cage for my Badger Elite goalie mask made in 1995. Here's what it looks like:

I have looked at the Itech and Hackva cages but those are to small. The opening on this mask/cage is huge :smith:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

crashlanding posted:

Also, Minister Robathan, they charge for baking if you bring in skates to get baked that you didn't buy there. It's to encourage you buying them in store.

Makes sense, guess I'm just a spoiled Canadian. I still think 20$ is retarded expensive, even for a first cut. I got new blades put on my skates last week, (not a new holder, just the blade) and that cost 50$ with the first cut.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Good christ, man...how do you slide from post to post? I've had my skates for almost a year now and I've had them sharpened twice.

It's not really that hard, even with a 1/2" cut. Just put a little muscle into it. I much prefer having the bite when I need it to having a loose shuffle. The one time I went ten or so games without sharpening my skates (just got lazy) I felt like I was swimming in my crease. No traction, had to work to stay upright, my feet were sliding out from under me almost. Obviously they weren't, but the difference was very noticeable and detrimental to my game :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

http://hockeygiant.com/rbk5kpmpgsktsr.html

Any comments.. good skate? Bad skate?

I think the 5k is regarded as a good mid-level skate, though I've never used them myself. If you want a wider base of opinions, check Goaliestore BB. If you can wade through the sheer :downs: and :rolleyes: of most of the posts, you'll probably find a review that helps you make up your mind. The volume of users sometimes helps in "reviewing by majority."

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

I used to sharpen my skates every second time I skated, on my old Grafs I went through 2 or 3 sets of blades/cowlings due to them getting sharpened down so much (and rounded off).

Keeping your skates sharp is important if you want to actually be able to move. It's incredibly easy (and beneficial) to learn how to shuffle with sharp skates as you get more power from every push when you use sharper skates and, if you aren't a terrible skater, you are less likely to catch an edge or some dent/rut in your blade. Furthermore, if you have any hope of being able to skate in a bigger area than your crease, you drat well better have sharp skates.

I forget where it was, but there's an article about it too. Either way, suffice to say the whole "goalies need dull skates :downs:" argument is probably the stupidest, most disadvantageous piece of "common knowledge" out there for goalies.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 16, 2008

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
When I was in Jersey skate sharpening was 6 bucks, but last weekend I went and had them done in NYC and it was $17. I get mine done pretty dull. Usually ask for 1 and 1/4. I'd like to experiment with something a little sharper but I'm so used to it. I know it hurts me on big pushes, but it helps for smaller movements when you're trying to keep your stance tight.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

SmutAnEggs posted:

I'm trying to find a cat-eye cage for my Badger Elite goalie mask made in 1995. Here's what it looks like:

I have looked at the Itech and Hackva cages but those are to small. The opening on this mask/cage is huge:smith:

Wow thats an old mask. I remember saving allowance/Birthday/Christmas money to get one of those back in the day. I'd say upgrade otherwise it looks like the guys at NXi might have some but it doesnt look good.

http://www.goalielife.com/showthread.php?t=234

If you're looking for an affordable trustworthy mask I'd say buy a Hackva. I've used one for the past 2 years and its taken a few full throttle slap shots from some NHL alumni and stood the test. Its now a backup helmet to my Itech 961 only because I have a narrow face and the 961 fits a bit better.

Regarding sharpening I've had my skates for about 6 months now playing 2-4 times a week and only sharpened them three times. The quality of the steel makes a huge difference when it comes to how well they stand up. My old Bauer XIX's would be poo poo after 3-4 skates but my One95's that have good stainless steel stand up quite well. When I notice them getting a bit slippery I run an sharks tooth style edge tool up and down them a couple times and it feels like a perfect sharpening.

Its pretty similar to this one.

titanium fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 16, 2008

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
points of note:

1) "the first sharpening" that someone up there referenced indicates a radiussing job, which ALL OF YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE WHEN YOU BUY YOUR SKATES. go with a 26" if you're new to goalie-ing and until you know any better. get it done at a place with an old guy doing the skates, trust me on this. repeat every 20 sharpenings.

2) Olie cages kinda/sorta fit badger masks, just gotta change one drill hole.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Totally guilty of never having gotten mine radiused. I should try it now that I actually live in an area where hockey isn't a funny word.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just got back from my first ice skate in about six years (third time ever). I did pretty drat well but obviously I have things to work on. The transition from roller to ice isn't too bad at all.. except its a sliding motion instead of a rolling motion. So time to pick up some skates and start playing some ice hockey finnaly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi fuckin five. I love it when the club grows. Seriously, I've never had as much fun in any sport as I have doing this.

I am always trying to get people who show even the most remote interest in playing goal to try my gear out. I've converted one so far, and one is a hopeful "when I get money" devotee, both in Florida. The position is in such demand that everyone is happy when even the new guys came out.

Completely off topic no doubt, but I fuckin love this sport.

Edit: Which reminds me, the offer is always open. If anyone in the Hamilton area is interested in trying their hand in net, just drop me a line. Toronto too if you feel like making the drive over.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Well I've been playing roller hockey as goal for the last year or so.. but now I am finnaly going to try out ice.. so I'm not too new around here.. just don't post much. :)

Gotta play two games back to back tomorrow with about a five minute break in between.. guess I'm not drinking too much tonight while watching the Flyers lose another game.. :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Well I've been playing roller hockey as goal for the last year or so.. but now I am finnaly going to try out ice.. so I'm not too new around here.. just don't post much. :)

Gotta play two games back to back tomorrow with about a five minute break in between.. guess I'm not drinking too much tonight while watching the Flyers lose another game.. :(

I also played better in the second game of a back to back. I was tired as Hell, but I always felt more prepared for the second game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Back to backs are awesome because you've already got a feel for the puck rather than coming out cold. If your stamina is good then I'm not surprised to hear most people are better in their second game.

My stamina? Not so good. I practiced with these guys before one of my games a few weeks ago, and they absolutely finished me off in 30 minutes. It took me half my next game before I got my second wind.

It's kind of funny though, in my dead tired state I think I managed to play pretty well. Instead of constantly trying to be fancy I just had the energy to cover the angle and not much more. I cut those down pretty well and it paid off with easier shots. Probably something I need to remember for games where I'm not panting :v:

Edit: So I'm playing twice a week now and my body is getting used to it. I actually ended up going to the Thursday games because the skill level was a little higher than I expected it to be. Turns out most of the guys from my Tuesday game come out Thursday as well, so it's basically the same awesome shooters plus one or two beginners on D (which means more shots for me! :D )

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 18, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Back to backs are awesome because you've already got a feel for the puck rather than coming out cold. If your stamina is good then I'm not surprised to hear most people are better in their second game.

My stamina? Not so good. I practiced with these guys before one of my games a few weeks ago, and they absolutely finished me off in 30 minutes. It took me half my next game before I got my second wind.

It's kind of funny though, in my dead tired state I think I managed to play pretty well. Instead of constantly trying to be fancy I just had the energy to cover the angle and not much more. I cut those down pretty well and it paid off with easier shots. Probably something I need to remember for games where I'm not panting :v:

Edit: So I'm playing twice a week now and my body is getting used to it. I actually ended up going to the Thursday games because the skill level was a little higher than I expected it to be. Turns out most of the guys from my Tuesday game come out Thursday as well, so it's basically the same awesome shooters plus one or two beginners on D (which means more shots for me! :D )

Did Todd Harvey try to kick your rear end because thats mostly what I remember from his days in Dallas.

Probably one of my top five Stars of all time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't even realize he was practicing with the team. What's weirder is that I got a standing invitation to come watch them practice and fill in if one of their goalies can't make it. I guess even here in this loving hockey mecca country it's hard to find goalies on short notice :laffo:

I mean, I'm not going to start showing up just hoping that their goalies don't show, but it was nice of the coach to say :cool:

I had no idea who these guys were when I showed up at the rink. I figured they were just some men's team who was on before us.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 19, 2008

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Joey Walnuts posted:

You should play with a larger hollow.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I chickened out on inquiring about my local beer league in time :( In my defense, I found out about it three days before the season started and have only played ice goalie three times in open practices, no games.

Also, a mouse caused this problem while my equipment was in my parents' basement:

The really sad part is I played casual street hockey games with my friends using this glove. I only let in one goal through the webbing somehow.

I am a little worried that some kind of goalie voodoo is required to restring this thing. Also, I should really get some bigger leg pads. Right now I have a crappy pair that's I think is really meant for roller hockey and leaves a gap between my pants and the top of the pads. All I need to say is that it has snaps on all straps save the bottom instead of buckles.

It's inexcusable that I've had a full set of pads for a year that have hardly been used. Time to at least start going to pickup games.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Is there any kind of glue out there that resists sweat? I just got done re-gluing the cloth liners in my helmet for the umpteenth time, and it's all due to my sweat breaking down the glue. Gorilla glue works great on touching up the large foam liners, but I have yet to find something that works for the cloth and Staycool liners. Right now I use a hefty helping of Elmer's spray adhesive, and that stays put for a couple months, but only if I dry the thing religiously.

In other news, try and hazard a guess as to how in the hell I was able to get this bruise on my back when playing this week:

Hint: It wasn't from a stick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Try hot-glue. Rough up the gluing surface of the mask first to give it some texture to stick to.

If you don't already have one, you can get a hot glue gun and refill sticks at pretty much any hobby store, not to mention Home Depot or Wal-Mart.

I'm gonna go ahead and someone kicked you or ran into you while you were down scrambling for the puck/covering up.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Well had my two games.. first game was going great, and then the second period started. About a minute in I made a great save with the unpadded part of my arm/elbow.

Blurry picture ahoy:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

After that, my stick arm was about dead.. so we lost that game 4-8.. also it didn't help that our team started playing in slow motion. Right after that loss we move to game two.. which was a pretty equal game. So equal that it went into a shootout. I was pretty confident because everyone always wants to do shoot outs to show off how good they are.. so I got pretty good at em. Needless to say, we won and it feels great knowing that you as the goalie won the game. I feel awesome and its probably the motrin and beers kicking in.

Work is going to suck tomorrow.

As I compare the two pictures.. I would say that your bruise hurts more.. but.. mine is on bone/joint.. so.. I can justify being a bitch about it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Lets talk angles. One sure fire way to beat me is by being around the red dots and shooting at a fairly shallow angle. For some reason I always get real close to the post and always get beat. Picture:

Now the easy remedy to that would simply be to move to my right.. but when that happens the shot always goes between me and the post right into the net. I honestly do not know what the other person can see of the net when I am trying to square up to the puck. Maybe I should get my friends to take pictures of me from different spots to see where I should be moving to.. eh?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
As a shooter, I'd suggest coming out and challenging a little more. If you're back on the post, you're way too deep when a guy has the puck near the faceoff dots. At that point the shooter sees like 18" of purely unguarded net at the far post.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

crashlanding posted:

As a shooter, I'd suggest coming out and challenging a little more. If you're back on the post, you're way too deep when a guy has the puck near the faceoff dots. At that point the shooter sees like 18" of purely unguarded net at the far post.

Unless you're Lundqvist or Luongo and then you just sit back in your crease always and laugh as shooters can't get past your superior butterfly.

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands

Joey Walnuts posted:

Also, if anyone wants it, I've got this Itech Prodigy chest protector that you can have if you pay shipping. I used it for about 8 months and it's still in decent shape.

Is there any chance this offer is still kicking around? You're the exact same height and weight as me.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Hazed_blue posted:

Is there any kind of glue out there that resists sweat? I just got done re-gluing the cloth liners in my helmet for the umpteenth time, and it's all due to my sweat breaking down the glue. Gorilla glue works great on touching up the large foam liners, but I have yet to find something that works for the cloth and Staycool liners. Right now I use a hefty helping of Elmer's spray adhesive, and that stays put for a couple months, but only if I dry the thing religiously.

sounds like someone bought a stacey!

seriously the mask is the tits and all that jazzizle but goddamn if the adhesive he used isn't the shittiest stuff ever. i've gotten in the habit of super-gluing the whole thing back together once every 3 months or so.

also y'all will appreciate this: i was playing in the mission halloween classic (and being better than raycroft) this weekend and had a shutout with about 4 mins left up 6 goals despite being outshot 2 to 1. there's a 2 on 1 and the pass gets through, guy on other team blasts a slapshot over my head and off the glass from dead center in the slot. as i'm recovering to my feet and turning my head to track it, i don't see it, so i turn it the other way; as i'm doing this the puck hits the BACK OF MY loving HEAD and goes in

i just stood there and laughed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and someone kicked you or ran into you while you were down scrambling for the puck/covering up.
You'd think so but no, the bruise is actually from a blocked slapshot in front of me. Player skated up in front of the blue line by himself, and I know this guy loves to fire the cannon instead of using fancy moves, so I stepped out of the crease to challenge him even more. He wound up and did a full slapshot from about 16 feet away.

Somehow, the puck ended up funneling itself between my shoulder wing and mask, and deflected right into my trap muscle, where the chest padding ends. And drat did that sting. I still can't quite figure out the logistics of it.

Made the save though.

Tim Thomas posted:

sounds like someone bought a stacey!
Staytrix. Vintage for life. :arghfist::(

Hazed_blue fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 20, 2008

• Locked thread