Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tim Thomas posted:

also y'all will appreciate this:
i just stood there and laughed

I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more often in the NHL with how hard the puck is shot. I think it happened once or twice last year that I can recall. Actually, it happened to Tim Thomas if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, goalie question I had. I'm a defenseman. I've played my whole life yada yada, but one thing I've always wondered is just how you goalies like us playing the cross ice passes. What I tend to do is I try to lift my opponents stick, or if I am defending near post and don't have that option I will go down to block the pass or try to put the shaft of my stick on the ice, to at least make him have to make a hell of a pass to get the pass through. Which do you prefer? Lift the guys stick or actually try to use my stick to block the cross ice pass?

I ask because I saw Ohlund try to use his stick to block the pass last night which in my opinion is a bad play the way he did it because he tried to use the blade of his stick to block the pass and the puck ended up banking off his stick and in. I always try to use the shaft, *not* the blade because there are less chances of deflections that way and if I use the shaft the puck will stop and I will be able to kick it with my feet or whatever instead of having no idea sometimes where it will go when I use the blade of my stick.

I usually do very well playing this way, but then again I imagine it is significantly harder to lift an NHL player's stick and the best I've ever played against are former minor pros in beer leagues so maybe Ohlund's way is the only way they can do it at the highest levels.

e: If I'm not being clear I basically mean, lift the stick of the opposing player who is the passing option and let the goalie take the shot at the bad angle, or try to use the shaft of my stick laying it out on the ice to block the pass, or go down myself to try and block the pass with my body, or use the blade like Ohlund and hope it deflects away harmlessly instead of into the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Vigilance posted:

I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more often in the NHL with how hard the puck is shot. I think it happened once or twice last year that I can recall. Actually, it happened to Tim Thomas if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, goalie question I had. I'm a defenseman. I've played my whole life yada yada, but one thing I've always wondered is just how you goalies like us playing the cross ice passes. What I tend to do is I try to lift my opponents stick, or if I am defending near post and don't have that option I will go down to block the pass or try to put the shaft of my stick on the ice, to at least make him have to make a hell of a pass to get the pass through. Which do you prefer? Lift the guys stick or actually try to use my stick to block the cross ice pass?

I ask because I saw Ohlund try to use his stick to block the pass last night which in my opinion is a bad play the way he did it because he tried to use the blade of his stick to block the pass and the puck ended up banking off his stick and in. I always try to use the shaft, *not* the blade because there are less chances of deflections that way and if I use the shaft the puck will stop and I will be able to kick it with my feet or whatever instead of having no idea sometimes where it will go when I use the blade of my stick.

I usually do very well playing this way, but then again I imagine it is significantly harder to lift an NHL player's stick and the best I've ever played against are former minor pros in beer leagues so maybe Ohlund's way is the only way they can do it at the highest levels.

e: If I'm not being clear I basically mean, lift the stick of the opposing player who is the passing option and let the goalie take the shot at the bad angle, or try to use the shaft of my stick laying it out on the ice to block the pass, or go down myself to try and block the pass with my body, or use the blade like Ohlund and hope it deflects away harmlessly instead of into the net.

Depends on the situation, I saw that Ohlund goal and if he had laid down to stop the puck he may have been in the way if the goalie was trying to push across. I personally like to have confidence that my D will prevent a cross slot pass in a 2 on 1 situation. Whatever you can do to prevent that puck from a fast hard one-timer is appreciated as long as you're not bumping into the goalie.

Ohlunds goal was a fluke and if his stick would have been angled the other way it would have popped to the high slot or into his feet.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

slow hands posted:

Is there any chance this offer is still kicking around? You're the exact same height and weight as me.

Yep, you can have it. Give me your zip and I'll find out how much it will be to ship it out there.

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands

Joey Walnuts posted:

Yep, you can have it. Give me your zip and I'll find out how much it will be to ship it out there.

I live up in Canada, Ottawa to be precise. K1T 3R6

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Hazed_blue posted:

Staytrix. Vintage for life. :arghfist::(

me too. stacey won't sell me spare cages. i need a spare or three as well. not too pleased on where this is going. great mask other than that though.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Tim Thomas posted:

me too. stacey won't sell me spare cages. i need a spare or three as well. not too pleased on where this is going. great mask other than that though.
Really? I know that he and Mont discontinued the model, but that sucks to hear. I've actually been wondering if the normal Stacey Composite cages will fit the Staytrix, since I'm going to need a replacement cage sometime as well. I'm willing to put up with the hiccups here and there since the mask is an absolute BEAST, but I'm really hoping that I won't be stuck without replacement parts.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
send him an email and ask, apparently mont never paid stacey or paid him enough or something ridiculous so us, the customer, get hosed

of course

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

slow hands posted:

I live up in Canada, Ottawa to be precise. K1T 3R6

FedEx is and UPS are both $25. Says it will be there by next Thursday. Send me a PM if you want it or email me at skewbus at gmail.com

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

honestly do not know what the other person can see of the net when I am trying to square up to the puck. Maybe I should get my friends to take pictures of me from different spots to see where I should be moving to.. eh?

Do you have some ice time where you can experiment?

The one thing I see mentioned a lot is using two ropes as a visual aid for goalies.

Take one rope, tie it to one post. Take the other rope, tie it to the other post. Give both ropes to a skater. Tell him to pick various angles, but always to keep the ropes taut. The ropes are now the maximum angles at which a player can score, not counting putting one through any holes around your body.

The exercise is to pick the correct location to basically cut off all angles. It is INCREDIBLY easy to visualize when the ropes are there to help. If you are in the correct angle but there is still too much area where you are giving up chances, you need to move out further.

I would say that if you are in a position to have shooters take photos, this would be much more useful and interactive.

I hear it actually works best with four ropes so you can help visualize in three dimensions where the puck can travel (one rope on each corner of the net, then the ropes are attached to the toe of a player's stick), but that is overkill unless you want to analyse further in depth.

For the record, I have this very same problem I just haven't had a chance to find someone to try the ropes with me yet.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 20, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

also y'all will appreciate this: i was playing in the mission halloween classic (and being better than raycroft) this weekend and had a shutout with about 4 mins left up 6 goals despite being outshot 2 to 1. there's a 2 on 1 and the pass gets through, guy on other team blasts a slapshot over my head and off the glass from dead center in the slot. as i'm recovering to my feet and turning my head to track it, i don't see it, so i turn it the other way; as i'm doing this the puck hits the BACK OF MY loving HEAD and goes in

i just stood there and laughed

I would be more surprised if this very exact thing didn't happen to the goalie opposing me two weeks ago. I didn't want to be a dick or anything but I almost fell over laughing.

But yes, it was definitely something to appreciate :cool:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Right now I don't have any free rink time. During the spring/summer I will have plenty of time but no one ever wants to help me with that kind of stuff. Everyone just wants to do shoot-outs or just play a pick up game. And then of course blame me when we lose :jerkbag:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We should all just pool money and get Dave Wells or someone to come do a SAS Goalie Clinic. He does clinics in Toronto all the time.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I would love to come to Canada.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Lets talk angles. One sure fire way to beat me is by being around the red dots and shooting at a fairly shallow angle. For some reason I always get real close to the post and always get beat. Picture:

Now the easy remedy to that would simply be to move to my right.. but when that happens the shot always goes between me and the post right into the net. I honestly do not know what the other person can see of the net when I am trying to square up to the puck. Maybe I should get my friends to take pictures of me from different spots to see where I should be moving to.. eh?

Ideally, you want to come out farther, so that you can cut down the angle. However, if you come out too far, then you leave yourself susceptible to the skater taking the puck cross crease for an easy goal. This may not be as much of a problem if you have a strong T-push or butterfly slide, but this is a move that some of the better players at open hockey beat me with. Sometimes I'll get lucky and I'll be able to kick my leg out far enough to stop the shot, but that's not a strategy that I can rely on.

Usually for me, I try to come out of the crease a little bit and try to take the blocker side/wide shot and they'll either go glove side or cross crease on me. I think the big part of playing this shot is getting the angle right and recognizing what you can take away. If you have a good glove hand than you can probably cheat to the blocker side or if you can get T-push or butterfly slide to the other side of the net quickly, then you can probably get away with playing a little closer but not adjacent to the post.

Just out of curiosity what kind of strapping arrangement do you guys use with your leg pads. I had an old goalie at an inline rink tell me to strap my boot strap and bottom two straps as tightly as possible, which neccessitated me picking up a leather punch, while leaving all of the rest of the straps loose. I went with that unquestioned for a while, but I've started to get annoyed with the lack of rotation and the fact my leg pads tend to bow outwards due to the tightness of the lower straps. So how tight do you guys wear your leg pads or do you try to wear them as loose as possible?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Polish posted:

Right now I don't have any free rink time. During the spring/summer I will have plenty of time but no one ever wants to help me with that kind of stuff. Everyone just wants to do shoot-outs or just play a pick up game. And then of course blame me when we lose :jerkbag:

What the hell kind of team are you playing for that blame you for losing?

Martytoof posted:

We should all just pool money and get Dave Wells or someone to come do a SAS Goalie Clinic. He does clinics in Toronto all the time.

I might toss in for this over a weekend or something. I've never been to Toronto.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

So how tight do you guys wear your leg pads or do you try to wear them as loose as possible?

I go progressively tighter the lower I am on the pad.

The velcro knee-cradle strap is natural tension tight. Not snug, not loose, just tight enough to hold the knee in without any kind of death grip or compression.

I added a knot which gives my tie ties basically an inch worth of slack. This helped a lot in reducing tension on my knees and ankles and allowing the pads to rotate naturally into their butterfly without my ankles limiting their maximum angle.

My boot straps have no slack, but they're not overtightened. I will basically pull them as tight as they can go without having to put any effort into tightening any further. If I happen to hit a hole, that's where I buckle. If not, I go a little looser until I find one.

My bottom leg strap has one finger-width worth of slack, the next one up is two finger widths.

Then I have my two knee cradle straps. I actually cross them over so the top one fits the lower buckle, and the lower strap fits the top buckle. These are basically loose enough that I can probably fit three or four fingers between my knee and the strap without feeling any tension.

I have no real reason for crossing my straps over other than I did it once with my old pads and won a really important game and have strapped them thusly ever since.

I'm pretty superstitious I guess you could say. I always put my gear on in the same order, to the point where I've got the "how to wash" labels on my hockey socks facing a certain direction when I velcro them on. Everything always goes on left-first. Without trivializing the condition, it's like some kind of weird OCD.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 21, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

I think the big part of playing this shot is getting the angle right and recognizing what you can take away.

Yeah, when I get beat on a shallow angle shot it's almost always because I'm giving up a lot more net than I think I am, meaning I'm a lot shallower than I thought I was.

The last game I played one of the better shooters put one behind me by smoking a shot right over the top of my pad and literally getting as close to hitting the other post as you can get without actually hitting it. My glove hand (which is pretty much the bane of my existence) was way too delayed and frankly I was a little surprised by the shot. I thought for certain he would try to come in deeper and pass to someone in the slot so I had set up in a half butterfly protecting the right post getting ready for a push into the center to cut off the one-timer. Instead he let the shot go and found me hugging a post when I could have been out another foot or two giving him less target.

I still think I was right to expect the pass to the slot but I went into the half-bf post-protect way too early and gave him a slim corner to pick off.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

titanium posted:

What the hell kind of team are you playing for that blame you for losing?

Oh you have not heard of the elite team called the "Ruff Ryders" that I play with? I wanna kill myself each time I hear our team name.. Some of the team are 'tough guys' so they think they are hot poo poo. They used to blame me more when I first started playing, but as of late I have been blaming all of those fuckers, since I'm getting better. But why place blame on a single person, it's a team so we are all to blame.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Son of a bitch.

I learned a very valuable lesson this morning about chain straps. I had re-adjusted the fit of my mask somewhat this weekend; it has been sitting too close to my face, as I would get pinged on the nose if a shot came at my face hard enough. As part of the fit adjustment, I tightened up my chin strap. It felt a little snug, but I figured it would loosen up once some sweat got into the strap.

BIG mistake. At organized pickup this morning, I noticed that I was getting tired. Like really exhausted, far sooner than I should be. I mean sure, the teams were ridiculously unbalanced, but that was besides the point. About an hour in, I started feeling light-headed, like I wasn't getting enough air, and the problem dawned on me. My chin strap was so tight that it was pushing my lower jaw backwards into an overbite position. Try sucking wind with your jaw back for 20+ minutes straight. You can't. Your tongue gets in the way, and you can't take in as much of that precious, precious air that you need in order to recover. I had to actually ask everyone to stop for a moment so that I could yank my mask off and get some more air.

I didn't think that something as simple as chin cup snugness could destroy one's stamina to the point of being dangerous, but there you go. It can.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Damnit.. my skates were back ordered until the first. But one of my rinks has goalie training sessions every Wednesday. I should defiantly look into that.

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands
I'm aiming to get a set of goalie equipment for the winter shinny season since there's a well populated rink very close to my house. If things don't go too terrible, I'm hoping to sign up for a low tier beer league in the Spring.
:shobon:

Only thing is, I'm a student and kind of cash strapped but I'm pretty sure that I can scrape together a few hundred for some used equipment off of craigslist.

With that in mind, I know from reading the thread that you don't buy your helmet used so I'm going to budget for that but outside of that, everything else is going to be used, unless you guys have any advice as far as not skimping on things. I've already taken up Joey Walnuts' offer of a Itech Prodigy chest protector, so that's covered (Gonna send the cheque out in a few days man).

As far as looking at used pads and the trapper/blocker, is there anything I should look for? Wear in unobvious places? Any brands to stay away from? Do I need goalie pants or can I get away with a pair of normal hockey pants?

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

slow hands posted:

With that in mind, I know from reading the thread that you don't buy your helmet used so I'm going to budget for that but outside of that, everything else is going to be used, unless you guys have any advice as far as not skimping on things. I've already taken up Joey Walnuts' offer of a Itech Prodigy chest protector, so that's covered (Gonna send the cheque out in a few days man).

As far as looking at used pads and the trapper/blocker, is there anything I should look for? Wear in unobvious places? Any brands to stay away from? Do I need goalie pants or can I get away with a pair of normal hockey pants?
For masks, do not, do not not not not buy a simple fiberglass/lexan/whatever shell ala the Itech 1400; it's called a widowmaker for a reason. Any adult playing ice hockey with only a layer of poo between their head and a hard object is out of their mind. I would recommend getting something that has at least some kind of kevlar reinforcement in the chin and forehead, but this is coming from a die-hard mask lover; there's plenty of mage guys out there that will disagree with me.

For gloves, the areas you definitely wanna check are the bindings. If the bindings are starting to fall apart or come undone, take a pass. I would shy away from Tour gear on a whole, simply because I've never heard of one satisfied goalie using it. I would also recommend actual goalie pants, simply because the pad configuration is much more suitable for both blocking a puck, and protecting you from said puck.

Oh, and for a cup... don't skimp. Don't even think of using a non-hockey or non-goalie cup.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I bough all my stuff new.. and spent a good $300 bucks on my helmet and it was worth it. Defiantly something you do not want to cheap out on.

For the blocker, the glove part will probably wear out first. And for the catch the very top of mine is tethered together with heavy string, which keeps needing repair.

Are you playing ice or roller? I play roller, and I wear a thinner girdle/pants deal with loose fitting long pants over that. I would say as long as you are comfy and protected you should do fine. Also I suggest underarmor (or any variation) shirt and shorts.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

slow hands posted:

I'm aiming to get a set of goalie equipment for the winter shinny season since there's a well populated rink very close to my house. If things don't go too terrible, I'm hoping to sign up for a low tier beer league in the Spring.
:shobon:

Only thing is, I'm a student and kind of cash strapped but I'm pretty sure that I can scrape together a few hundred for some used equipment off of craigslist.

I think I have an old Bauer blocker and some old itech pants somewhere in my garage. I'll send them along with the chest protector if I can find them. They're nothing great, but it's better than spending another $100+ on more equipment.

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 22, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just for the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying your mask used as long as you know what you are buying and what condition it's in. Granted that is hard for someone just getting into the sport to learn.

That being said, there's something to be said when a brand new mask that is beyond safe is only $150 more than a used one. $150 is a good price to put on peace of mind and safety, knowing that you won't have to worry about your mask for years and years to come.

I have never once spent more than $150 on a mask. Two Eddy GTs at $140 apiece, an Eddy Custom Kevlar for $50 (the guy must not have known what he was selling), and the mask I wear every game now is the NXi Phantom which I found for $60 in what amounts to brand new condition.

Obviously masks you buy used won't look brand new unless you get lucky like I did with the NXi, but I've got a bunch of great backup masks that I can basically experiment with and if I ever want to get my NXi painted I'll just wear one of my Eddys until it gets back.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Martytoof posted:

I would love to do this, anything to get out of the states and back to Toronto; I love that city. Any time during winter break for many colleges would be glorious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll send him an email feeler and see whether he'd be willing to take on a small group and what his fees are. Not actually organizing anything yet, just fact-finding.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

slow hands posted:

The worst part about forward pants vs goalie pants is the lack of padding on the inside of the thigh. The first time you get hit there, I promise you'll wish you got goalie pants. Oh and, in case you were wondering, get a goalie cup too. Its an expensive position, but most of these things aren't just for show.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
That being said.. even with a cup, it still hurts.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Yep, no matter how much you spend on equipment you're still going to get stingers. The puck always finds those soft spots with the least protection. It sucks but you just have to not flinch and you get used to it. Plus, the bruises are a cool souvenir for show. :cool:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
You can get away with lower quality gloves, leg pads and to a certain extent pants, but when it comes to protective gear like your mask, C/A and goalie cup you're better off doing your research and buying better quality gear. I made the mistake of buying an Itech 1200 mask, which seems nice when you are trying to put together a cheap set of gear, but after I learned of it's reputation for head injuries, I had to spend quite a bit of money to replace it with an Eddy Custom Kevlar before I started playing on ice.

I certainly don't regret spending the extra money for a better mask, I've taken some nasty slapshots off of the thing, including a 90+ MPH shot directly to my cage from a JC football player, and other for maybe a sore neck the next day, I've been no worse for the wear. I've also been lucky in the sense that I've only needed to replace my cage once so far, but just remember that the cage is there to take the brunt of the impact and if you have a huge dent or especially a broken weld, then you need to replace it. I'm sure others here can better explain what the guidelines are for whether you need to replace a cage or not, but just be aware that it can happen from time to time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gco posted:

Yep, no matter how much you spend on equipment you're still going to get stingers. The puck always finds those soft spots with the least protection. It sucks but you just have to not flinch and you get used to it. Plus, the bruises are a cool souvenir for show. :cool:

It's kind of a strange thing in the sense that you don't want to feel the full power every shot and come home covered in bruises, but it actually pissed me off when I got a better C/A and I couldn't feel shots when I was playing on ice. Eventually the pucks managed to find the gaps in my protection and eventually I got hit with some hard enough shots that they left bruises despite all the protection I was wearing, but I actually don't mind the occasional bruise and I kind of like watching the colors of the bruise change and seeing how long the yellow remnants last. It's a strange thing, but I think it's part of the mentality that allows us to play a position that quite frankly scares a lot of skaters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops, Aniki's story actually reminded me that I DID start off with an Itech 2500. I know it's one level up from the 1200/1400 line but I was horrified reading about those buckets. I replaced it with an Eddy pretty quickly. To be perfectly honest I never had a single problem with the Itech, but I decided not to risk it either way. In fact, all of my equipment was lovely to start with.

My first gloves/pads were 34" DR 5.2s I bought off eBay because I didn't know any better. My frist C/A was some CCM Gatekeeper monstrosity that didn't fit right. The only thing I didn't get rid of eventually was my pair of Vaughn Vision 3700 goal pants. I used a different set of blue pants for a long time, but now that they don't really match the rest of my gear I went back to the Visions.

When all is said and done, I got a LOT of stingers to the DR glove, but it did its job admirably. Same with the DR pads. If the straps hadn't fallen apart I'd say they were decent pads. Not in the sense that you can't get a LOT better used equipment for $300 but they held up admirably and in the end they stopped pucks, which was the name of the game.

Ok anyway, back from an awesome pickup. 9 guys, 4 on 4 + 1. Only one problem the entire night. One of the older guys played defense right in front of me. I mean LITERALLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. THE ENTIRE NIGHT. I kept telling him he was screening me, and he'd move for a second but he'd be back right after that. I ended up screened by him on just about every shot I took and I couldn't come out to challenge because he was standing right on the red border of my paint. Near the end I just said gently caress it and started skating right into him because obviously he wasn't going to take the hint.

But in all honesty I'd rather play 3 forwards and 1 defenseman rather than 2 forwards, 1 defenseman, and one imobile, immovable blackout curtain.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 22, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, got a little Captain in you?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, got a little Captain in you?
Please tell me you're talking to your 15 foot tall defenseman and not trying to make a save. :)

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely make sure to grab a goalie jock.
:)

Regarding the mask though, I was curious if any of you guys have any experience with the combo mask along the lines of Chris Osgood.

Reading up the on the subject on the goaliestore.com forums makes it seem like there are enough people using them that it isn't an issue as long as you make sure to use a solid helmet with quality padding and a new cage. They look kind of dopey and significantly less badassed than the style used nowadays but if the protection is just as good, I don't mind looking kind of silly if it saves me a little cash.

If they're not worth it though, I'll definitely grab a normal mask (staying away from the widowmaker) using the advice you guys have given me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crashlanding posted:

Please tell me you're talking to your 15 foot tall defenseman and not trying to make a save. :)

I was actually hamming it up for the camera while the play was in the other end :haw:

slow hands: I think it boils down to what you like. I mean, they do look goofy but if you can find one in good condition (I'm not even sure who makes them new anymore) than it should hold up well. They're obviously good enough for Hasek and Osgood and they face NHL shots.

Also, I tried PMing you but you don't have plat -- do you have an email address? Let's talk masks. I'll make you a deal you can't refuse on one of my Eddys (assuming they fit) if you don't mind finding some liner foam locally since all my shells are barebones right now. They're not brand new and spotless, but they're structurally sturdy as the day they were made and I guarantee they'll be safer than buying some cheapo mask you're not sure about.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 22, 2008

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

slow hands posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely make sure to grab a goalie jock.
:)

Regarding the mask though, I was curious if any of you guys have any experience with the combo mask along the lines of Chris Osgood.

Reading up the on the subject on the goaliestore.com forums makes it seem like there are enough people using them that it isn't an issue as long as you make sure to use a solid helmet with quality padding and a new cage. They look kind of dopey and significantly less badassed than the style used nowadays but if the protection is just as good, I don't mind looking kind of silly if it saves me a little cash.

If they're not worth it though, I'll definitely grab a normal mask (staying away from the widowmaker) using the advice you guys have given me.

I'd go with the Sportmask Mage if you're looking to go a combo style route.

http://www.sportmask.com/goalie-masks/combo-mage1.html

I've tried on a friends and its much more comfortable and lighter weight than the SK2000 style helmets.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Only one problem the entire night. One of the older guys played defense right in front of me. I mean LITERALLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. THE ENTIRE NIGHT. I kept telling him he was screening me, and he'd move for a second but he'd be back right after that.
Sometimes in pickups, I'll skate in front of my own defenseman and screen him before the shooter takes a shot. Not only does it make for a poignant yet hilarious sight, but half the time the shooter will see it as a challenge and rip one towards you, instead of passing it to someone with a better angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands
marty gave me a shout

slow hands fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 22, 2008

• Locked thread