Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay.. say there was a shoot-out.. and as the shooter is skating up with the puck, what is to stop you from comming out of the goal a bit and just dive feet first into the puck before they shoot?

Doubt that would fly on any professional level.. but in the typical beer/adult league, why not? Or even just skate up and plow the guy over.. although that tactic isn't as subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Polish posted:

Okay.. say there was a shoot-out.. and as the shooter is skating up with the puck, what is to stop you from comming out of the goal a bit and just dive feet first into the puck before they shoot?

Doubt that would fly on any professional level.. but in the typical beer/adult league, why not? Or even just skate up and plow the guy over.. although that tactic isn't as subtle.

These things called rules.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Internet Victory posted:

These things called rules.

Wade Dubielewicz (I can't believe A) that's how it's spelled and B) I got that right first try) did that exact thing to Mats Sundin in the shootout. Sundin came in with his head down, Wade caught him above the hash marks and tripped him up good. IIRC as long as you don't throw your stick in the shootout you can do whatever you want as a goalie.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
I'm not sure I get exactly what you're saying...you can do this, to an extent, if you hit the puck before the man. Obviously you can't fly out to center ice and knock it away before he touches it, and I wouldn't recommend diving at a player coming straight down on you-- its too easy to just dodge around for an open net. If the forward is stupidly staring down at the puck, you might pull it off.

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcnY5hpgzMc

A 2-pad stack with extended stick for a poke-check/tripping up the skater when he's coming from the sides is pretty effective though.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

sba posted:

Anyone else give up a GWG softie with 15 seconds left last night or just me?? :(

Second game of the season the opposing teams goalie raced out to play the puck against one of our players while the score was 2-2 with 2 mins left in the 3rd. He tried to toss the puck to the opposite corner and it ended up in his net.

Things could look a lot worse, make up for it another game.

Koopa Kid posted:

you can do whatever you want as a goalie.

Including.....MURDER

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

Nothing as far as I know.

I mean, it's a terrible tactic. In Sundin's case, if he had his head up he could have easily skated a circle around Doobie and put the puck into an empty net. Chances of stopping are much higher if he plays the shooter correctly.

Plus it's a little unprofessional in lower level leagues where goalies already have the advantage. I mean, if anything, good sportsmanship would probably prevent me from trying it even if I could, in full goalie gear, personally skate better than half the other team. I guess that's a naive way of looking at playing hockey since it's all about winning the game, but still.

I loving love this video

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 28, 2008

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

Martytoof posted:

I loving love this video
I showed this to my father, an old-time goalie, and his response was very matter-of-fact: "Well, a goalie has just as much right to celebrate as a shooter."

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

skinwalkerxxx (6 days ago) Show Hide
+3 Poor comment Good comment
Marked as spam
I want to see Carey Price do this

as if Carey Price would leave his crease

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Nothing as far as I know.

I mean, it's a terrible tactic. In Sundin's case, if he had his head up he could have easily skated a circle around Doobie and put the puck into an empty net. Chances of stopping are much higher if he plays the shooter correctly.

Plus it's a little unprofessional in lower level leagues where goalies already have the advantage. I mean, if anything, good sportsmanship would probably prevent me from trying it even if I could, in full goalie gear, personally skate better than half the other team. I guess that's a naive way of looking at playing hockey since it's all about winning the game, but still.

I loving love this video

It is pretty funny when a goalie does it in roller hockey against the countless forwards who skate with their head down, though.

e: But should probably be a penalty because it's dangerous :v:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Crumleg posted:

I'm not sure I get exactly what you're saying...you can do this, to an extent, if you hit the puck before the man. Obviously you can't fly out to center ice and knock it away before he touches it, and I wouldn't recommend diving at a player coming straight down on you-- its too easy to just dodge around for an open net. If the forward is stupidly staring down at the puck, you might pull it off.

Exactly this. Don't tell Mats Sundin I called him stupid.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crumleg posted:

I showed this to my father, an old-time goalie, and his response was very matter-of-fact: "Well, a goalie has just as much right to celebrate as a shooter."

This is an awesome attitude to take and your father is an awesome guy.

Look at how a lot of shooters celebrate every single goal like it's a SCF Game 7 GWG, then take a look at most goalies after they've made a highlight reel play. I want to go out on a limb and say I don't ever remember a goalie actually out and out celebrating a save unless it's a shootout winner.

Obviously you're not going to dance if the puck is still in play, but if you've got a whistle the most I ever see goalies do is laugh about it and grin. Reserved celebration is so much cooler anyway :cool:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Martytoof posted:

the most I ever see goalies do is laugh about it and grin.
That's one thing I'll miss about Cristobal.

Well, that and how much better he is than Jose Theodore :(

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Well I just got back from a PERFECT WEEKEND ON THE ICE.
GAA: 0.00

SA%: .000

Ok, I went to public skate in full gear to work on some moves since I hadn't been on the ice in a month.
All I learned is that my skates are in desperate need of sharpening and kids like to gawk at the only person over 3 feet tall that's wearing hockey equipment on the ice at a PUBLIC loving SKATE.

I miss youth hockey where everyone is guaranteed a spot. At least I have a few mid-tier men's league teams that want me once I'm out of this hellhole (read: college with no hockey for me) in December. My goal currently is to sneak onto a junior team next year, doesn't matter where it is. Anyone out here played juniors and can give their take on getting noticed and onto a team? I never played high school, all youth, but I was never informed about junior hockey until it was too late. :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

This is an awesome attitude to take and your father is an awesome guy.

Look at how a lot of shooters celebrate every single goal like it's a SCF Game 7 GWG, then take a look at most goalies after they've made a highlight reel play. I want to go out on a limb and say I don't ever remember a goalie actually out and out celebrating a save unless it's a shootout winner.

Obviously you're not going to dance if the puck is still in play, but if you've got a whistle the most I ever see goalies do is laugh about it and grin. Reserved celebration is so much cooler anyway :cool:

Hextall was prone to celebrating and trying to kill shooters.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

gco posted:

Well I just got back from a PERFECT WEEKEND ON THE ICE.
GAA: 0.00

SA%: .000

Ok, I went to public skate in full gear to work on some moves since I hadn't been on the ice in a month.
All I learned is that my skates are in desperate need of sharpening and kids like to gawk at the only person over 3 feet tall that's wearing hockey equipment on the ice at a PUBLIC loving SKATE.

I miss youth hockey where everyone is guaranteed a spot. At least I have a few mid-tier men's league teams that want me once I'm out of this hellhole (read: college with no hockey for me) in December. My goal currently is to sneak onto a junior team next year, doesn't matter where it is. Anyone out here played juniors and can give their take on getting noticed and onto a team? I never played high school, all youth, but I was never informed about junior hockey until it was too late. :(

What is your definition of junior hockey?

But to be honest unless you have been playing since you were extremely young and progressing through the highest levels you pretty much have zero chance of making a junior team unless you are the second coming on Terry Sawchuk or Martin Brodeur and even then its still really a crapshoot. At least in Canada alot of playing junior hockey in reputation built up through the years and contacts. The sad truth is a really good player who hasn't made many contacts will have less of a chance to be noticed as a similar or less skilled player that has made a lot of contacts with coaches and scouts. I found most of this out through personal experience and I'm glad I got out of it still mentally stable, which can't be said for half the kids that come out of junior hockey.

Oh, and high level junior hockey makes you absolutely despise hockey. At least until you get out of it and you can enjoy the game for what it is and not what some fat old men want it out to be.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Yep, I remember once going to a junior team tryout just for the hell of it (didn't REALLY want to play for the team, but its free ice and a chance to see where you stand), I wasn't scored on through the whole thing, and wasn't asked back. Do you need any more evidence that its about who you know? I laughed it off though, and went back to playing with my midgets team because honestly hockey is only ever fun for me when its not super serious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guess who hosed up their knee last night!

This guy! :suicide:

Just in time for a leisurely drive to Montreal.....

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
New bucket has arrived :D

Goes in for paint soon.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Polish posted:

You mean kind of like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u0khFnHUg

I think it's against the rules.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

titanium posted:

New bucket has arrived :D

Goes in for paint soon.

I think I'm the only guy who hates the look of Itech masks. The chin is just so.. weird. That being said, I tried one on and it felt bulletproof so good on you :cool:

I was going to ask about the paint but I'd rather be surprised.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 31, 2008

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Ok, so I have been reading this thread, following the links from the first post and just generally doing some research with the local guys as well. I have decided to take up hockey again this year after quite a few years off and have picked out all my equipment EXCEPT for a helmet. As for the level of play I intend to pretty much just do shinny/beer league stuff due to my erratic schedule. So far my gear seems to be ok starter gear, but importantly is comfortable, seems well padded and was not budget busting. I hope to play at least once, possibly twice a week.

What I need is some guidance on the masks, I read the earlier remarks regarding itechs being of poor quality and my city stocks those in abundance with a smattering of Hackva, Sportmask, TPS and Ollie masks for diversity. If there are good itech models, which are they? how tight should my mask feel against my face/head? Is it forbidden to buy a mask that feels too snug and whittle down the foam inside? So far the only masks that are close to fitting me comfortably are the Sr. size itech (tight nearly everywhere) and the Large Sportmask (was really snug, only tight on the cheekbones). I am heading to a store tomorrow to see if they have the larger sized Hackva for my charlie brown type head. Some pointers would really help.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Space Cadet posted:

Ok, so I have been reading this thread, following the links from the first post and just generally doing some research with the local guys as well. I have decided to take up hockey again this year after quite a few years off and have picked out all my equipment EXCEPT for a helmet. As for the level of play I intend to pretty much just do shinny/beer league stuff due to my erratic schedule. So far my gear seems to be ok starter gear, but importantly is comfortable, seems well padded and was not budget busting. I hope to play at least once, possibly twice a week.

What I need is some guidance on the masks, I read the earlier remarks regarding itechs being of poor quality and my city stocks those in abundance with a smattering of Hackva, Sportmask, TPS and Ollie masks for diversity. If there are good itech models, which are they? how tight should my mask feel against my face/head? Is it forbidden to buy a mask that feels too snug and whittle down the foam inside? So far the only masks that are close to fitting me comfortably are the Sr. size itech (tight nearly everywhere) and the Large Sportmask (was really snug, only tight on the cheekbones). I am heading to a store tomorrow to see if they have the larger sized Hackva for my charlie brown type head. Some pointers would really help.

The low-level Itech's are of poor quality or at least shouldn't be used beyond street hockey, but the Envy 7 is a solid but not ridiculously expensive mask. Hackva, Sportmask and Eddy also make good masks. A lot will depend on the model of the mask, but I really haven't heard anyone complain about the quality or protiveness of those brands.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

I think I'm the only guy who hates the look of Itech masks. The chin is just so.. weird. That being said, I tried one on and it felt bulletproof so good on you :cool:
Its amazing how stout the helmet is, I took a slapshot from about 15 feet out from an ex AHL'er straight to the dome and only felt the push of the force instead of a shutter throughout the mask. The chin I like because it tucks in a bit where my Hackva is a bit wider, it makes it easier for me to look over my shoulder when stuffs going on behind the net.

Space Cadet posted:

Like Aniki said the Envy 7 is an okay Itech mask but I'd recommend the Hackva because it is a wider helmet with pro protection and a lifetime shell warranty at an awesome price. Gabe who owns the company provides the best customer service I've ever experienced too.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
lovely night. Puck was behind the goal. I look up for one second to look for someone in front of the net and all of sudden....puck in net. I didn't even budge. I just stood there like a jackass. One of those nights, I suppose.

By the way, I still have this chest protector, breezers and Bauer blocker if anyone wants them. All free...just pay shipping or pick them up in Phoenix.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
I do kind of need a new chest protector but I doubt it would fit me. I'm about 5'6" and skinny.

Put on the gear for the first time in years last night at an open hockey session to get ready for the league I joined which starts up next week. I surprisingly didn't forget how to play. I was a little shaky in places but on the overall, not bad for so much rust. My skates gave me some brutal blisters though, heh.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Joey Walnuts posted:

By the way, I still have this chest protector, breezers and Bauer blocker if anyone wants them. All free...just pay shipping or pick them up in Phoenix.
How big are you?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Robo-Pope posted:

How big are you?

5'9" 150.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
After needing to sit out for two weeks due to trouble of with my asthma, I was finally ready to return to the ice tonight. So I called ahead, reserved my goalie spot, check in at the front only to find out in the dressing room that for some reason the rink had been reserved for some sort of "old time hockey" game. I have to admit that watching an old time game with stand-up goalies would have been pretty interesting, but after getting myself psyched up to play, I didn't really want to stick around.

At least there are two pick-up games happening on Tuesday, so I'll just play at one of those instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, I meant to post this a while back:

Hallelujah, I finally trained my Tuesday team to just take shots in warmup. One of the guys that doesn't come out regularly went to deke me out and one of my D went up to him and told him to just take shots until I leave the net to stretch.

I mean, I don't mind the occasional deke or anything but this was like loving christmas and my birthday all rolled into one. Gives me time to warm up my glove and angles without needing to worry about bfly recovery every two seconds.

I finally cut out the little boot flaps on my 8Ks. The leather I sewed onto them was starting to fray as well, and I figured I'd just save myself some headache and get rid of them altogether. I also applied some electrical tape to the fabric boot edges of my pad that contact ice to keep them from fraying and tearing. Seems to work well so far, but I had to hot-glue them in a few places since the electrical tape had basically no sticking power once it was a) cold and b) wet. While I was at it, I hot-glued two giant globs around the toe-tie screws to keep them from scratching the gently caress out of my cowling. I've basically frankensteined the boots of my pads but they're twice as durable as ever now and nobody knows any different :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 9, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Got a goalie boner at this store (click for big lovely cameraphone panorama)

I tried on so many pads my legs hurt

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Got a goalie boner at this store (click for big lovely cameraphone panorama)

I tried on so many pads my legs hurt
Daaaaamn. :( I wish I could go into that store and just bottle up the air in a vial, take it home with me, and smell it whenever I got lonely.

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

This week I denied former NHLer Doug Smith a goal in my morning over 30 hockey league. We were down by one late so we pulled our goalie and then promptly turned the puck over. So I was the last defenseman back and Smith rifles a shot top corner and I managed to deflect it to the corner with the shaft of my stick.

SAS Goalies: am I playing the wrong position - should I start playing goal?

also Hockey Life :swoon: I'll never buy hockey poo poo anywhere else

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JungleMan posted:

Boy did you come to the wrong thread for an objective opinion :haw:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

JungleMan posted:

What kind of retarded question is this? Of course you should be playing goal. Prepare for empty bank accounts.

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

I'm a defensive defenseman which offers the same lack of scoring but on a lighter budget. I keep hoping that one of these games our goalie gets sick and I can put on the equipment, it's bound to happen eventually.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JungleMan posted:

I'm a defensive defenseman which offers the same lack of scoring but on a lighter budget. I keep hoping that one of these games our goalie gets sick and I can put on the equipment, it's bound to happen eventually.

Well if you feel like driving four hours you're more than welcome to try my pads on :v:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Probably the wrong thread but it gets way more traffic than the other hockey thread.

So I've decided that I need to get some new sticks after breaking the last of my Synergys and going back to my 10 year old Ultra-Lite. My old Ultra-lite has been wonderful and has never broken on me but I have lost count of how many times I've replaced the blade on it.

I think I'm going to go back to two piece sticks and really don't know where to start shopping since every stick I've bought in the last five years has been a one piece. I'm leaning towards the Warrior Johnson because I'm a sucker for marketing (possibly some Stroker gloves to match, again because I'm a sucker). Anyone have stories or personal experience that might be relevant?

Just for reference, my Ultra-lite is 100 flex, 295 grams, has a 3 inch plug and a Synergy ST Forsberg (P4 pattern) blade and the weight and length is just perfect. I was going to say that it's perfect but it's really old and just doesn't have the same pop anymore.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
Jesus, I just played my first elite goalie. Apparently he was a goalie at a top DIII school (I think he's only a couple years out) and he was unbelievable. We probably had close to 60 shots on him and we only got one past. I had a chance in the slot, just beyond the faceoff dots and I decided to just take a slapshot because there was not other way I was getting it past him. So I wound up and got all of it, shot it against the grain, about three feet off the ice and inside the post and he just blockered it out of play like it was nothing. Talk about depressing. It was great to try my best against such a good goalie and I just wish I could have got one past him.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

The Mandingo posted:

I think I'm going to go back to two piece sticks and really don't know where to start shopping since every stick I've bought in the last five years has been a one piece. I'm leaning towards the Warrior Johnson because I'm a sucker for marketing (possibly some Stroker gloves to match, again because I'm a sucker). Anyone have stories or personal experience that might be relevant?

I've never used that one, but a couple of my teammates use it. They seem to like it a lot. I personally like the Warrior Dolomite.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-stick-grip-dolomite08-sr.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

crashlanding posted:

Jesus, I just played my first elite goalie. Apparently he was a goalie at a top DIII school (I think he's only a couple years out) and he was unbelievable. We probably had close to 60 shots on him and we only got one past. I had a chance in the slot, just beyond the faceoff dots and I decided to just take a slapshot because there was not other way I was getting it past him. So I wound up and got all of it, shot it against the grain, about three feet off the ice and inside the post and he just blockered it out of play like it was nothing. Talk about depressing. It was great to try my best against such a good goalie and I just wish I could have got one past him.

Yeah a lot of D3 goalies are low pro level players. There are so few spots in D1 that you get some pretty amazing guys missing out.

edit: Best player on the high school team I coach uses the dolomite, loves it. I've fooled it around with it in practice a few times and the thing shoots pucks out like a cannon.

• Locked thread