Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
so i made an aihl team and today is my first game. only thing is, i've been having some really bad shoulder problems, and i'm having exploratory surgery in two months. one outcome is that the guy finds nothing and i'm good to play in a week (with the same exact dead arm and shooting pains that i've dealt with for a year and a half). the other outcome is that he finds a SLAP tear, fixes it, and i'm done with shoulder movement for 4 to 6 months.

here's the question: when do i tell my team that they need to find another goalie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
As soon as possible so they can start looking for another one. I just sliced my arm open today.. got 14 stiches and the first question I asked the doctor was "Can I play hockey tomorrow?". So the first person I called when I got out was my team captain.

This sucks.. I wanna play so bad. Oh well Flyers game tomorrow.. in the suite.. all the free food and beer I can shovel into my mouth.

I injured my right shoulder while snowboarding right before I started playing goalie. It hurt too much to hold the stick in my right hand.. so now I'm a lefty goalie.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Polish posted:

I injured my right shoulder while snowboarding right before I started playing goalie. It hurt too much to hold the stick in my right hand.. so now I'm a lefty goalie.

Now that's dedication.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just got back from a meet and greet with the Flyers. Biron and Nitty signed my first goalie stick :woop:

Going to play a practice game, on ice, on Friday night.. so first time in goal on the ice. I will finnaly be able to slide and move properly.. really looking forward to it. Also, how the hell do you power stop on ice.. I can do it in roller blades but can't seem to get it on my ice skates.. maybe I just need more practice time skating.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Just got back from a meet and greet with the Flyers. Biron and Nitty signed my first goalie stick :woop:

Going to play a practice game, on ice, on Friday night.. so first time in goal on the ice. I will finnaly be able to slide and move properly.. really looking forward to it. Also, how the hell do you power stop on ice.. I can do it in roller blades but can't seem to get it on my ice skates.. maybe I just need more practice time skating.

I think that in general you will find that playing ice hockey is easier as a goaltender, but at the same time the talent level that you're going up against is usually better. Ice hockey tends to feel a bit slower than inline, though if you play 3-on-3, then the pace of the game speeds up considerably due to the reduced distance and lack of opportunities to rest/recover while the action is on the other side of the ice. Sliding is easier and while I've yet to master a butterfly slide recovery, the side-step into a butterfly slide move isn't too difficult to figure out. Have fun.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 19, 2008

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I am really good on getting back up from going down to butterfly or whatnot.. but yeah I think ice will be easier. I am used to no icing.. no offsides.. so I think it will be an almost completly different game. My gear is geared toward roller hockey.. so my pants and chest protector are a little lacking...Christmas presents!!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

I am really good on getting back up from going down to butterfly or whatnot.. but yeah I think ice will be easier. I am used to no icing.. no offsides.. so I think it will be an almost completly different game. My gear is geared toward roller hockey.. so my pants and chest protector are a little lacking...Christmas presents!!

Even if you play pick up, you'll find that all of the players observe offsides, which helps to slow down the game and prevent it from turning into the constant stream of breakaways that inline games can turn into.

You should be ok with most any pants, I know that a lot of goalies get away with Itech 4.8 and even player pants. Though, the big difference I've found between goalie and player pants is inner thigh protection and even with good inner thigh protection, some shots will still slip past the padding and sting you from time to time. As for the C/A, what are you using and what kind of shape is it in? This shouldn't matter too much for one time, but if you start playing ice consistently, then you definitely want to invset in a pro level C/A?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
The pants are inline player pants.. so they work great, are light, and breathe well.. but yeah I have taken a few nice hits to the inner thigh. But I am not too worried about those. The C/A I picked up the cheapest one I could find, and while is does great on my chest, the arms are very lacking. They protect the inside of my arms well, but the outside there is just a crappy elbow pad, which slips. Lost a game a few weeks ago because a slap-shot got through right to my elbow, stick arm went dead.

Anywho.. I'm not too worried about it, but I am definatly going to invest in a new C/A soon. Buddy of mine wants to start playing so I can just sell him my old gear for cheap.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Polish posted:

The pants are inline player pants.. so they work great, are light, and breathe well.. but yeah I have taken a few nice hits to the inner thigh. But I am not too worried about those. The C/A I picked up the cheapest one I could find, and while is does great on my chest, the arms are very lacking. They protect the inside of my arms well, but the outside there is just a crappy elbow pad, which slips. Lost a game a few weeks ago because a slap-shot got through right to my elbow, stick arm went dead.

Anywho.. I'm not too worried about it, but I am definatly going to invest in a new C/A soon. Buddy of mine wants to start playing so I can just sell him my old gear for cheap.

Just wait till you get hit by a rising star's 85-90 mph slapshot to the shoulder. You'll change that getting 'new C/A soon' to getting 'new C/A immediately'.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

gco posted:

Just wait till you get hit by a rising star's 85-90 mph slapshot to the shoulder. You'll change that getting 'new C/A soon' to getting 'new C/A immediately'.

That reminds me. At pickup today, someone took a slapshot from no more than 10 feet away at the other goalie. Split his throat guard (hanger) in half and smacked him square in the collar bone. He crumpled. Nothing got broken, but I can't imagine the pain he would be in right now if that throat guard wasn't there to take most of the impact.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

The arm protection was what worried me when I started playing ice too and it was ultimately the reason why I retired my old Itech 4.8 C/A. I will say that the average ice shot is pretty underwhelming, but when someone really rips a shot, you'll understand the value of better protection.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

That reminds me. At pickup today, someone took a slapshot from no more than 10 feet away at the other goalie. Split his throat guard (hanger) in half and smacked him square in the collar bone. He crumpled. Nothing got broken, but I can't imagine the pain he would be in right now if that throat guard wasn't there to take most of the impact.

I had a close call on Sunday, where I was dropping to stop a shot and my dangler kind of bounced up and the puck went right between my dangler and mask. Somehow it didn't hit my neck or collar bone, but maybe it's time to get myself a throat guard for Christmas. I keep on thinking about it, but I always seem to come up with an excuse not to get one. Maybe I'll take a look at Maltese's site tonight.

Speaking of close range slapshots, the worst shot I ever took was about a 90 MPH slapshot right to the cage from about 10 feet away. The guy that shot it was a defensive end for the Mesa CC football team and he was about 6'3 and 275 pounds of muscles. At least I have good mask, but it put a massive dent in my cage and I could hardly move my neck for the next two days. I obviously replaced the cage, which wasn't cheap, but then again, I'd rather have the cage take the brunt of the impact than my body.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 20, 2008

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Speaking of close range slapshots, the worst shot I ever took was about a 90 MPH slapshot right to the cage from about 10 feet away. The guy that shot it was a defensive end for the Mesa CC football team and he was about 6'3 and 275 pounds of muscles. At least I have good mask, but it put a massive dent in my cage and I could hardly move my neck for the next two days. I obviously replaced the cage, which wasn't cheap, but then again, I'd rather have the cage take the brunt of the impact than my body.

Bring your friend to ozzie on Friday night. We've only got 9 skaters right now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

I will say that the average ice shot is pretty underwhelming, but when someone really rips a shot, you'll understand the value of better protection.

Every time I take a shot that feels like it basically hit bare skin I tell myself "OK tomorrow you're going out to get another C/A", and every day after I think "well that was a one-off shot, this one's not so bad".

I'll leave you guys standing invitations to my funeral. Nobody gets my equipment because I'm going to be buried in it :colbert:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Every time I take a shot that feels like it basically hit bare skin I tell myself "OK tomorrow you're going out to get another C/A", and every day after I think "well that was a one-off shot, this one's not so bad".

I'll leave you guys standing invitations to my funeral. Nobody gets my equipment because I'm going to be buried in it :colbert:

I know that feeling all too well. I played about two seasons of inline with a really bad C/A and every time I took a hard shot off of my arm, I'd say to myself, "I really need to get a new C/A." Yet I'd never seem to get around to it and the next time I took a really hard shot off my arm, I'd think, "I really need to get a new C/A" and this cycle continued until I finally bought a new C/A about 6-hours before I played ice hockey for the first time.

It just seems very easy to ignore pain, especially when it involves spending money that you may not want to. However, if possible it's best to replace or add safer gear before you get hurt. You can get away with lesser gear for a while, but it's not a risk you want to take too often.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on the Maltese combos? I know that they are pretty popular amongst the goalie community, but if anyone has one, what collar length did you go with and do they cause any overheating issues?

Joey Walnuts posted:

Bring your friend to ozzie on Friday night. We've only got 9 skaters right now.

I'll see if he can come.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 20, 2008

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Just out of curiosity, what is the hardest shot that everyone's faced here and what type of injuries have you received from the puck? Did it cause you to replace/upgrade any of your gear or did you chalk it up to a fluke shot?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
When I was much younger I used to wear wrist guards around my underarm because the chest protectors were lacking in those days. I also wore knee guards before pads started being made with them. I don't wear any extra protection now, the equipment is too good - and I don't mind sacrificing a little bit for mobility.

I've never broken anything playing goal, but I bruised my collarbone pretty badly in a tournament up in Montreal. The hardest slap shot I remember facing was a teammate in high school who broke the glass twice during practice (he ended up walking on at Union), and the hardest wrist shot would have to be K.J. Voorhees's, who played for Colorado College.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Joey Walnuts posted:

I started wearing a neckguard after I got hit in the throat with a wrister. Luckily I was only in squirts at the time but it was an inch away from my windpipe. I didn't start wearing the hanging dealie until I was told it's kinda required but not really enforced in the league I played with last spring.

Aniki posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is the hardest shot that everyone's faced here and what type of injuries have you received from the puck? Did it cause you to replace/upgrade any of your gear or did you chalk it up to a fluke shot?

As far as slapshots go, I've gotten 2 bad ones as of late. 1 from my coach bruised my left shoulder for 2 months, turning all colors except purple (yes, it was even green and yellow for a stint) made me shell out $400 to get a new chest protector and another went right to my cage actually bending the framework. I had to get pliers to fix that thing up, although I should get a new helmet soon as this is only my second mask in the 14 years I've been playing, had this one for 4 or so. So to answer your second question, you can never be too safe as you rise through the ranks and get hit with tougher and tougher shots, so I try to stay as updated as possible. It may take a lot of money, but I don't want to know how much the medical bill would be if they had to pull a puck out of my skull lodged 3 inches in.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Aniki posted:

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on the Maltese combos? I know that they are pretty popular amongst the goalie community, but if anyone has one, what collar length did you go with and do they cause any overheating issues?
The combo is absolutely fantastic; I've been using mine for almost three years now. The gel that Phil uses is soft to the touch, but very firm when compressed. I'm someone that has a very hard time putting things around his neck, but the collar is extremely comfortable. I went with the 2" collar height, and the gel does not heat up at all during play. The comfort and peace of mind that I get from wearing it is easily worth the investment.

Aniki posted:

I think the fastest shot that I've faced was from a guy that I see every once in awhile at pickup in Fairfax. His reputation precedes him, and it's funny to watch people on the ice react. On his first shot, people will be in the play like normal, but by the second shot, everyone moves out of the way. He'll get the puck, raise his stick and pause for a moment, because everyone on the ice is literally backing away from him and myself, in part because he just shoots HARD. But also in part because he has pretty bad aim. :)

Then there was a guy that I faced at another rink during pickup. He apparently had attended some kind of Team USA invitational in the past. He broke the glass behind me on a warmup shot.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Aniki posted:

I once took a shot from a former University of Michigan player in pickup that bent the cage of my mask in and cracked the mask itself. This lead to a new mask.
I took a shot in the center of my blocker from an at-the-time Wayne State player that hurt my hand pretty badly. This lead to a new blocker. (Later the game, that same player put the same kind of shot into his teammate's knee)
I took a shot to the face of my pads from a guy who, I found out a week later would be trying out for the Flint Generals, that hurt my knee and scared me into buying new pads.

Last Sunday, I played a guy who put a shot into my pad that rebounded to his own blue line. I'm playing him again this Sunday and hoping he scores less than the five he did last weekend :(

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Any tips for someone who is about to start playing after many many years off? I think I have some semi-regular time coming up in the next little while. I belong to no teams but have been sniffed over by 2 so far, and asked to join a coworkers pickup if one of their goalies is unable to make it. I have yet to make a commitment since I have an erratic work schedule and would hate to be an unreliable goalie as opposed to a generally available backup. I doubt I will be playing anything higher then beer league or pickup this year and I have amassed a set of equipment that I hope will be satisfactory to start with as I find what works for me.

Mask: Sher-wood GH200 (it's pretty and it fits my oddly round head), that is linked with a RBK dangler.
Neck: RBK Sr. Neck guard
Chest: RBK Sr. 6k
Jock: Matrix? (Guy at the goalie shop said this one was the best and so far protects my junk from a good kick).
Pants: Vaughn Epic 8600
Knee: RBK pro goalie knee pads. (I have a fear of being crippled)
Skates: Nike/Bauer Vapor XIV (got them used and cheap)
Legs/Blocker/Glove: TPS R4 set.

Are there any absolutely horrible choices I have made or will this be semi-reasonable to start with?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aside from the mask, which I'm not familiar with so can't comment, I think your starter set is pretty good. I've certainly seen people start with less sophisticated equipment and still play amazing games.

While I have nothing against the R4s or any other low end gear, my guess is that Goalie Lust (tm) will kick in at some point and you'll be wanting a set of R6s or R8s soon, which is why I usually suggest people look at used higher end gear before they pick up a pair of consumer pads. Then again, one of the goalies I watch play here smokes just about every shooter and he wears the low end 6K rbks. It's not the gear that makes the save.

I think you've got a good set to start with, much better than what I started out in. Go stop some pucks, let us know how you did :cool:

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
The mask if you believe the reviews has a full layer of carbon fiber as well as a full layer of shiny silver kevlar. It has a very similar feel to the hackva masks, but a little wider for my round round head. It has little to no flex in the helmet and 2 types of foam inside. Which brings me to another question, is it bad to shave some of that foam out and if not what should I use to do the shaving. If feels just a little too snug on my cheekbones and I would like it to be a tad looser in there.

As for the R4 set I know they are beginner gear and I know I will be upgrading them but in Winnipeg used pads seem to go for a premium unless they are beat to hell and I catch right handed so off the shelf gear seems harder to find for me. I figure I can use them for roller hockey in the spring/summer or sell them and upgrade. I am not even sure if I want to stick with TPS they just happened to have the right size and price when I bought them. They are comfy and I feel that they will protect me a little bit at least. Does anyone else here have any experience with the R4s?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Learned that my team might be ditching me this season. That pisses me off a little bit but I am also kinda happy. The team over-all isn't very good, and usually has no defense..bah no hard feelings I guess. Oh well.. onto the next one. I'll use this off time to work on my game and move onto ice.

I think I'll start skating and work on my stick handling during my lunch hour at work. Does anyone do any exercising or training? I know its best to work on your core for hockey.. I guess some running would be a good idea.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Learned that my team might be ditching me this season. That pisses me off a little bit but I am also kinda happy. The team over-all isn't very good, and usually has no defense..bah no hard feelings I guess. Oh well.. onto the next one. I'll use this off time to work on my game and move onto ice.

I think I'll start skating and work on my stick handling during my lunch hour at work. Does anyone do any exercising or training? I know its best to work on your core for hockey.. I guess some running would be a good idea.

I've had that happened before, where my team decided to go back to their old goalie. I didn't feel too bad about it, since he had been their goalie for the past couple seasons and the season I played, he was a defensemen on the team, so I was just filling in for him anyway. The next season, I switched to what was the worst team in our division and unfortunately the few good players they had decided to move up to the B-league and I just couldn't carry them and about midway through that season, I decided to make the switch over to ice. I finished out the season with the team, but I was glad to be playing ice hockey and have a much shorter drive to the rink.

Though recently, I'm starting to feel like I'm playing like an inline goalie on ice and am forgetting that once I'm down I can still move around and that I don't always need to rely on desperation saves. I burn a lot of energy that I don't need to and put myself in some low percentage save situations because of this. Though at least I've been playing more consistently lately, so I'm hoping that going from playing once every other week to about 2-3 times per week will help smooth out some of the other problems.

Honestly, the Starting Strength workout that Watch & Weight is obsessed with is a very good place to start. It focuses on developing the kind of lower body and core strength that you need to withstand the punishment of the position. Also, pylometrics should help with overall athleticism, though I'll admit that I've been lazy about working that into my routine. You could also play tennis or racquet ball as cross training, since both of those sports focus on developing lateral quickness and tracking objects.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to play open hockey this afternoon and when I opened up my trunk, my mask wasn't there. I apparently left it in the locker room or parking lot on Wednesday night and while I called the rink (Polar Ice Gilbert), they haven't heard anything about it yet. So yeah, my Eddy Custom Kevlar is gone and my backup mask is an Itech 1200, which I barely feel comfortable using for inline.

I guess at this point, I'm looking at either a Hackva, another Eddy Custom Kevlar or an Itech NV7. Does anyone know Hackva's sizing compares to Eddy?

Edit: Sportmask is an option to, but I'm not as familiar with their products. I want to keep the price in the same $300-400 range as my Custom Kevlar was.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 28, 2008

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I went to play open hockey this afternoon and when I opened up my trunk, my mask wasn't there. I apparently left it in the locker room or parking lot on Wednesday night and while I called the rink (Polar Ice Gilbert), they haven't heard anything about it yet. So yeah, my Eddy Custom Kevlar is gone and my backup mask is an Itech 1200, which I barely feel comfortable using for inline.

I guess at this point, I'm looking at either a Hackva, another Eddy Custom Kevlar or an Itech NV7. Does anyone know Hackva's sizing compares to Eddy?

Edit: Sportmask is an option to, but I'm not as familiar with their products. I want to keep the price in the same $300-400 range as my Custom Kevlar was.

I'd put the Hackva or Eddy infront of the NV7 there. I've seen some Itec 961's floating around for near $500 if you feel like extending your budget a bit.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Got two games to play tonight, as I'm subbing in for a team that plays just before mine. I'll be going up against the team that has so far scored 32 goals in 3 games. This should be interesting. But hey, if I keep them to under 10 then I've done better than the first 3 goalies they faced!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crumleg posted:

But hey, if I keep them to under 10 then I've done better than the first 3 goalies they faced!

And if you don't, you're maintaining a statistical status quo!

You can't lose either way :haw:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

And if you don't, you're maintaining a statistical status quo!

You can't lose either way :haw:

Speaking of stats...it just keeps getting worse.

GP W L T SO GA GAA SV SV%

11 2 9 0 0 56 5.09 438 0.887

We suck something horrible. The next closest amount of shots on net is 316. I think we might be in the wrong league. :haw:

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
I think I actually have more fun when I'm playing against impossible odds. I had a game in high school against a very very good prep school team, in which my team registered ZERO shots on goal, whereas the other team had 40-something in the first period alone. But I was having a blast! In the 2nd period, they weren't shooting, just passing the puck around our zone like it was a fuckin drill. I understood that they felt bad for us but it was pissing me off, so I came out of the net, checked a forward that didn't see me coming and cleared the puck out of the zone myself. They went back to shooting after that. Of course the score was pathetic but its not like I felt bad about my play.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Crumleg posted:

I think I actually have more fun when I'm playing against impossible odds. I had a game in high school against a very very good prep school team, in which my team registered ZERO shots on goal, whereas the other team had 40-something in the first period alone. But I was having a blast! In the 2nd period, they weren't shooting, just passing the puck around our zone like it was a fuckin drill. I understood that they felt bad for us but it was pissing me off, so I came out of the net, checked a forward that didn't see me coming and cleared the puck out of the zone myself. They went back to shooting after that. Of course the score was pathetic but its not like I felt bad about my play.

Zero shots on goal? Yikes. The fewest we've had is 8 for one game. Though that's happened twice so far. The other goalie was skating around in circles just trying to keep warm.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hate games where I get like five shots. It's hard for me to maintain focus if there isn't some semblance of back/forth action.

I'd rather lose a game where I let in 6 or 7 on 40+ than a game where I let in 2 on 10 because I'm out of rhythm.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The worst is when they have no sustained pressure for an entire period or more, then all of a sudden start kicking rear end and you've just been standing around for 25-30 minutes.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
By the way, Marty...I took your advice and I've been sharpening my skates every week. I've been able to move far better than I thought and I can get out of the net and handle the puck better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

By the way, Marty...I took your advice and I've been sharpening my skates every week. I've been able to move far better than I thought and I can get out of the net and handle the puck better.

:aaa: I forgot to sharpen mine, thanks for the reminder!

Also, yeah. It's the bee's knees. I love sharp blades and even though I'm temporarily unemployed again I'll keep throwing out the five bucks a week to do it :cool:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

I'd put the Hackva or Eddy infront of the NV7 there. I've seen some Itec 961's floating around for near $500 if you feel like extending your budget a bit.

I've been doing research this weekend and have pretty much ruled out the NV7, it's not a bad mask or anything, but if I spend a little more money, then I can pick up another Eddy Custom Kevlar. At this point, I'm considering the Eddy Custom Kevlar, the Hackva 2608, the Sportsmask Riccochet and the Sportsmask X8. I'm most likely going to go with another Custom Kevlar, since I was very happy with my previous mask, but does anyone have any experience with the Hackva or Sportsmask masks?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Speaking of stats...it just keeps getting worse.

GP W L T SO GA GAA SV SV%

11 2 9 0 0 56 5.09 438 0.887

We suck something horrible. The next closest amount of shots on net is 316. I think we might be in the wrong league. :haw:

What level are you playing at? You seemed pretty solid from what I could tell, but if your team is giving up 40 shots per game, then there's only so much you can do. I guess for now I would work on rebound control, covering the puck and if your team can't play defense, then they can at least help clear pucks out of the crease and zone to give yourself a chance rest.

Also, keeping your skates sharp really helps. I had been lazy about it recently, but I got my skates sharpened before I played last Wednesday and it was shocking how much better I was moving around the crease. I'm just not a good enough skater to get away with playing on dull skates.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

What level are you playing at? You seemed pretty solid from what I could tell, but if your team is giving up 40 shots per game, then there's only so much you can do. I guess for now I would work on rebound control, covering the puck and if your team can't play defense, then they can at least help clear pucks out of the crease and zone to give yourself a chance rest.

Also, keeping your skates sharp really helps. I had been lazy about it recently, but I got my skates sharpened before I played last Wednesday and it was shocking how much better I was moving around the crease. I'm just not a good enough skater to get away with playing on dull skates.

Beginner league in Chandler on Friday/Saturday nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You should probably spend some time making sure your team is actually alive. If they are, start yelling at them.

• Locked thread