Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vigilance posted:

prepare to be pissed off if your defense sucks at clearing rebounds and stopping passes.

This sentence basically sums up all of goaltending, just sayin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Martytoof posted:

Yeah. I really stunk it up last night, and to top it off I blew my cool. It felt good at the time until I realized that I'm unemployed and can't afford to drop $80 on a new stick :(
Did changing the straps on your pads bother you at all? :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crashlanding posted:

Did changing the straps on your pads bother you at all? :(

No, the pads were fine. My head just wasn't in the game and I basically gave up poo poo all night. Plus one of the hotshots on the other side would do the Ovechkin celebration every time he scored, and he scored a lot. It's just shinny but I got pretty steamed :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Jesus Christ, I just tried on my old Itech 1201 and I don't think I ever appreciated how dangerous this mask actually is. I was debating playing inline tonight, since I can't play ice until I replace my mask, but this drat thing feels like a toy and it frightens me that I ever played in it. Then again, I used to play with an old Franklin street hockey mask that was so bad that my friends refused to play against me until I replaced it, which led to me getting the 1201, which was better than the Franklin, but then again so was wearing a crappy halloween Jason mask.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with a Hackva 2608, but so far every site that I've found that carries it is located in Canada. The prices seem ok, but I'm a little weary of ordering from Canada, since the shipping ends up being expensive and when I ordered my leg pads from Cyclone Taylor's, they got held up in customs for three weeks. I'm checking with Goalie Monkey to see if they have any of these masks in stock, but are there any other sites I should check or would I be ok ordering from Canada (Don Simmons)?

If it ends up being too much trouble, then I'll just go with a Custom Kevlar, since I know that thing is safe, but I'm really starting to like what I've read about the Hackva.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 6, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

At the rink I frequent I see goalies wearing the weirdest poo poo.

My "favourite" is what appears to be a player helmet with a cage on it. Only its not like the typical Osgood/Hasek combo cage. This one looks like the cage portion of a new-style goalie mask. Only it looks so flimsy that I'm not sure I'd want to put my head in the way of any actual shots. The side protection looks a little iffy as well.

Scary stuff.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

At the rink I frequent I see goalies wearing the weirdest poo poo.

My "favourite" is what appears to be a player helmet with a cage on it. Only its not like the typical Osgood/Hasek combo cage. This one looks like the cage portion of a new-style goalie mask. Only it looks so flimsy that I'm not sure I'd want to put my head in the way of any actual shots. The side protection looks a little iffy as well.

Scary stuff.

Was it a SportsMask Mage or does it seem to be a homemade contraption? I've seen people playing in inline league's with Franklin masks and I've seen people go out on ice with very unsafe gear. There was actually one time at open hockey where the other goalie forgot or didn't even have a cup and decided to play anyway. Needless to say he ended up taking a wicked wrister from an ex-minor leaguer and they had to carry him off of the ice. I know that taking a hockey ball to the groin without a cup left me unable to move for two days and I don't even want to think what a puck would do.

It is scary to see how unsafe a lot of the gear that goaltenders play with, I used to be the same way before I started to play ice and really the only excuse I had was that I didn't have any money and didn't know any better, so I thought that coming home covered in bruises was just part of being a goalie. However now that I know better, I've just accepted that I can't play unless I have safe gear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No it wasn't a Mage or anything like that, it looked like it dated back to the early 90s if I had to guess. Didn't look homemade either though.

I played shinny at this really ratty rink in Clearwater, FL once. I was the only goalie until maybe 10 minutes in when this other guy showed up. He had a player helmet and pants, and pads/gloves from what looked like the mid 50s or 60s. I actually can't really date them but they were definitely stuffed with deerhair. Best part was that instead of a c/a he wore a big winter coat.

Needless to say he shouldn't have been allowed on the ice surface but the staff seemed about as intelligent about goalies as they were about rink upkeep. Halfway through the game the players asked me to switch sides so they could take some high shots too -- they decided they wouldn't actually take any hard shots on this other guy, which was a pretty cool thing to do.

I'm not going to say the guy was retarded (in the medical sense), but talking to him after the game it definitely didn't seem as if he was all there, so maybe he just didn't know any better. Anyway, I was picking deer hair out of my pads the next day.

The only "unsafe" equipment I play with is a small C/A. I've taken quite a few stingers from chest and gut shots over the past half year, but they've rarely left bruises. I don't want to sound naive, but I'm not sure that a better C/A would do that much better, and I love the mobility of the smaller gear. I don't feel incredibly bulky, but I don't feel the slightest hesitation to step in front of a cannon slapshot. Stingers are temporary.

I did take a nut shot in warmup two weeks ago. It actually stunned me. It didn't really hurt for long and the cup did what it was supposed to do, but I've never taken one before and this guy fired a laser from the slot right at my junk. I kind of fell over and agonized over it for ten seconds before getting back up and resuming warmups. For the record I have some lovely DR jock that I bought the first day I decided to play goal. It's not pro level or anything, I might want to look into upgrading but it did its job pretty admirably.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 6, 2008

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Its not so much the pain, its the ill feeling you get afterward. Hate that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
That sick feeling in your stomach isn't fun and the best way I can describe the pain, is that it's sort of a dull pain. You don't really want to move and once you try to move, you just start feeling sick again. Luckily, I've learned from my mistakes and wear compression shorts, an Eagle double cup and my pants have additional padding on the front, so I've been able to take some pretty hard shots to the crotch without incident.

Has anyone seen the Hackva Texalium finish in person? As far as I can tell the only difference between the Texalium and the regular 2608 is the finish. I'm not opposed to spending extra money on the Texalium finish, because it looks cool in pictures, but I'm wondering if it actually looks nice or is just a gear whore type thing?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 6, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
For all my time playing roller (which was usually with a ball) I never wore a cup. I only got hit twice, one wasn't that bad, it was towards the end of the period, so I was able to recoop at the break, and was fine, the other gave me that sick feeling, but luckily that one was with like 5 minutes left in the game, and we were dominating.

I think I've told this story too, but in college they had an intramural floor hockey league, and one of the kids that played wore just pads and a blocker/glove. The other goalies, including me, always thought he was nuts, but he said if he got hit in the nuts/chest/head/arms, he hosed up and deserved it. Yeah...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

For all my time playing roller (which was usually with a ball) I never wore a cup. I only got hit twice, one wasn't that bad, it was towards the end of the period, so I was able to recoop at the break, and was fine, the other gave me that sick feeling, but luckily that one was with like 5 minutes left in the game, and we were dominating.

I think I've told this story too, but in college they had an intramural floor hockey league, and one of the kids that played wore just pads and a blocker/glove. The other goalies, including me, always thought he was nuts, but he said if he got hit in the nuts/chest/head/arms, he hosed up and deserved it. Yeah...

I really didn't play with a C/A for a long time. I had a lovely Franklin street hockey chest protector, which basically was a catcher's chest protector with even less padding. I didn't have any arm protection and after taking a hard wrist shot from an ex-American Juniors player while playing street hockey, I bought elbow pads thinking that they would somehow cover my arms, which they didn't. I eventually wised up and bought an Itech 4.8 C/A, which felt like a tank compared to what I was used to, though it proved to be overmatched once we switched from a hockey ball to an inline puck. So all I can say is that when you don't know any better you are willing to go out and play with almost anything.

I ordered my mask this morning from Don Simmons. Not sure how long it will take to get out here, but it's a white Hackva 2608 with a Cat-Eye cage and I think that even with shipping and customs charges it should still end being cheaper than buying another Eddy Custom Kevlar. I can't wait for my mask to get here, because not being able to play is driving me nuts.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Had some practice with my buddies yesterday out in the blistering cold. I started off doing well, then I got hungry and started getting frustrated because I felt like I had no energy. I notice when I am in a better mood, joking around and such, I play a lot better. Morale is, apparently, very important to me. The pracice was really good because it was just three of my friends skating around and taking shots on me, really relaxed play and I could focus on particular areas I wanted to work.

Can't wait for Christmas so I get my new C/A.. then its ice time baby..

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Speaking of morale, does anyone know of any good goalie psychology books out there? I'd settle on general sports psychology, but if there are some specific goalie books out there, that would be the tops.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Martytoof posted:

So I, uh, got a little upset at the game last night and smashed my stick against the crossbar.

Since I'm down to one stick now, I'm kind of thinking of taking my autographed Lalime stick and just taping it up to use in game. It's not like it'll ever be worth any money and it's a pretty good stick :unsmith:

I haven't done that for about 3 years, which I am drat proud of, because really, it doesn't help anyone in the endgame. You're down a stick and your opponents realize you're weak so they're going to step it up a notch. Just to piss you off. Once I realized that looking like I'm really mad didn't stop the relentless assault, I've played it cool and respectable.

On the note of playing it cool, never play it so cool in a game that you do a half-assed job. I learned this in spring league this past year. It was the semi-finals and we had to win 1 game to get into the finals. The ice was especially horrible that night (if you ever go to Connecticut, don't skate in Darien) and was sopping wet the entire first period. Naturally, I get all of my equipment wet. When I go paddle down, my blocker gets soaked, so I try to dry my hand off on my jersey but my jersey's wet too. That's how wet it was. Anyway, it got me irritated. Not furious, but irritated enough to let a few slip by me that I know I could have stopped.

Anyway, by the end of the first, we were down 7-2. I'm thinking we have no chance, so I don't make the dives that would be game-savers had the game been actually close. Little did I know, had I made those saves, they would have been game-savers. The end of the second had us down by 4 at 9-5 and the team suddenly picked it up in the third. We ended up getting 3 shorthanded goals (we were playing the Rangers, FYI {kidding}) and come within inches of a great comeback. The final score was 12-11.

I know if the team had stepped it up earlier in the game, the outcome would have been a lot better, but as a team, everyone has to play their part and in the first, I didn't exactly play mine in addition to them, so there's my long rear end story derived from Toof breaking his stick.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Trying to balance out your intensity can be a bit tricky. I'm pretty much playing open hockey exclusively right now and while it is fun and I use it a chance to work on my endurance and different elements of my games, I find that I really approach these sessions with a low intensity approach. Part of it is being out on the ice for 2 hours and part of it is not worrying about how many goals I give up as long as I work on whatever I'm focusing on that day. It's not a bad approach, if you are playing in a league and still go to pick up sessisions, but when pick up is the only hockey you are playing, it isn't good to neuter the intensity out of your game.

What do you guys think the appropriate level of intensity is for pick up hockey? You obviously don't want to treat it like a league game and you don't want to be indifferent to everything that happens out on the ice, but there must be a balance somewhere.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

gco posted:

The ice was especially horrible that night (if you ever go to Connecticut, don't skate in Darien)

Ain't that the loving truth. I bought my skates at Blueline Pro Shop but only skated there once because it SUCKED. I prefer Stamford Twin Rinks, since I live in Norwalk. The extra drive's absolutely worth it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

What do you guys think the appropriate level of intensity is for pick up hockey? You obviously don't want to treat it like a league game and you don't want to be indifferent to everything that happens out on the ice, but there must be a balance somewhere.

The shinny I play is basically always the same people, just with randomized teams every time.

I don't treat it like a game, inasmuch as I don't get too disheartened when I let in goals, but I think I approach it with pretty much the same mindset as any game. Minus the nervousness in the dressing room beforehand.

The only times I've gotten mad to the point of showing it visibly (like my little stick smashing snafu last week) was when I systematically give up the same lovely goal time after time despite trying to correct my stance/action/etc.

So anyway, I think you pretty much nailed it on the head. Don't worry about giving up goals as long as you're managing what you planned to focus on. I also don't make as many crazy rear end desperation plays either. If it goes in, it goes in. No sense in diving across the crease landing on my stomach trying to grab the puck if it means I'm going to feel sick to my stomach for the next 20 minutes. I tried to work on playing the puck more yesterday and I did pretty well except for this one terrible giveaway I had where I shot it around the boards without looking, right to the other team's stick. Normally I'd beeline back to my net to try to recover and salvage a save but this time I just stood there and laughed as he potted the ENG.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
So in the past months I've been really frustrated with my catch hand because it's been acting more like a blocker and spit everything out instead of trapping. I figured it was me not getting centered perfectly and kept trying to adjust with minimal gains. Last week I noticed something about my glove after looking at another one, the thumb had been flattened in my bag causing it create a flat surface on the front which caused pucks to deflect out instead of angle into the web.

Some bending but it back in its original state and every puck found its way into the webbing the next time I used it.

It's something to look at if you're noticing the same problem.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been working on my glove hand a LOT lately, and have the same problem, though it doesn't appear to be the same issue. My problem seems like I *ALWAYS* place my glove out far enough that the puck hits my wrist block and bounces out.

Heading out to my Thursday game in an hour or two -- going to face one of those guys who has a wrist shot faster than I can blink. Should be interesting. He's one of those guys I typically butterfly early on since his tendency is to fire instead of dekeing me out.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Wamsutta posted:

Ain't that the loving truth. I bought my skates at Blueline Pro Shop but only skated there once because it SUCKED. I prefer Stamford Twin Rinks, since I live in Norwalk. The extra drive's absolutely worth it.

Any chance you're going to shinny every loving day it's available for the next month at STR? I'm in Norwalk too and I might not have as many rides as I'm hoping to get and I don't know if I'm going to be getting my license once school's out.

Martytoof posted:

I've been working on my glove hand a LOT lately, and have the same problem, though it doesn't appear to be the same issue. My problem seems like I *ALWAYS* place my glove out far enough that the puck hits my wrist block and bounces out.

Ever tried slabbing your equipment with glue? It's what the pros do. :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gco posted:

I'm gonna hollow out the game puck, fill it with ball bearings, and put some fuckin rare earth magnets in my trapper web.

I'll be making top shelf glove saves on shots to my five hole :lol:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

Are you following the puck into your hand? Tennis ball + Wall practice?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

titanium posted:

Are you following the puck into your hand? Tennis ball + Wall practice?

I always THINK I do, but results state otherwise.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

gco posted:

Any chance you're going to shinny every loving day it's available for the next month at STR? I'm in Norwalk too and I might not have as many rides as I'm hoping to get and I don't know if I'm going to be getting my license once school's out.

Sorry man. I work at 7am, and Shinny at STR is 6:30-8:30 or something isn't it? Anyway, I was forced to sell all my gear (minus skates) in September under hard economic times, since I hadn't played at all in the last year. :( I have to re-equip myself for the spring and get back out there...

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Martytoof posted:

I always THINK I do, but results state otherwise.

I do the same thing. I made more wrist saves than I did glove saves.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I do the same thing. I made more wrist saves than I did glove saves.

Hey man, you still going to the Garden tomorrow? I'll stop by 215 for a bit if so. Let me know. I'm also going to be at the Blarney before the game for a burger and some pregame beers... shoot me a txt or something.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I just got back from my first outing, I took some time to get my bearings on player skates and basic stick work while I waited for the public rinks to open for random shinny.

First thing: even though I have been stretching, running and skating holy crap do I hurt, muscles hurt that I didn't even know I had.

Second thing: how long does it take the rest of you guys to get dressed? I tend to putter around while getting dressed and it is taking ~20 minutes as I proceed through my gear.

I dragged my sister out to shoot pucks, there were a few others out and I stopped a few, let a few in and am discovering how out of shape I am. On the other hand, I had a blast and will hopefully be going tomorrow again. The people on the rink all sort of stopped when I stepped on and stretched and then the smiles appeared as the game started. When I was a kid I loved the random goalie who would show up on a public rink and play shinny, today I was that random goalie. It is nice to get some puck marks on my R4s, which so far have stopped everything without letting me feel any impact. My butterfly is horrible but with stretching I hope that it will become better. Also, it figures that the first shot I take goes off my blocker and nails my very nice mask, no damage and while I heard the impact and felt the puck hit the cage I didn't get my bell rung.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Space Cadet posted:

Second thing: how long does it take the rest of you guys to get dressed? I tend to putter around while getting dressed and it is taking ~20 minutes as I proceed through my gear.

I'm usually first out of the locker room, even if I'm late. It always surprises me haha.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It takes me maybe four or five minutes to get dressed, but 20 to take everything off :v:

I get to the rink before everyone else, put on my socks, skates, jock, kneeguards, pants, and pads, then just chill out watching whoever is on ice at the time, do some stretching, shoot the poo poo with whoever's around, whatever. Maybe 2 or 3 minutes before the Zamboni finishes I'll head back into the change room to put on the C/A, jersey, gloves, and helmet.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 14, 2008

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Perhaps my dressing time will decrease as my stuff gets broken in and I find the right settings for my pads. One thing I am having a lot of trouble with is getting the jersey and helmet on but I think that is mostly due to the fact that my C/A is brand spanking new. My sister told me I looked like a Transformer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When I had my Blockade C/A I had a lot of trouble with my jersey and helmet too -- it was hard to raise my arms above my head, it was that bulky.

I got around some of that by wearing suspenders over the C/A, and tying it to my pants through some improvisation, that way when I raised my hands the whole C/A didn't shift up.

And then I just bought a smaller, thinner C/A. Definitely less padded but it is like a second skin. Bonus points for me no longer looking like a pregnant fatty.

Once you find a strapping system for your pads that works you could consider doing what I did -- just take a sharpie and circle the hole you want. No more counting the holes on each strap for me, no sir :3:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Sweet jeebus...you ever had one of those nights?

Lost 6 - 0 and only had 30 shots. That was absolutely miserable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Sweet jeebus...you ever had one of those nights?

Lost 6 - 0 and only had 30 shots. That was absolutely miserable.

Yes. I call those "weeknights"

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

That's pretty typical for a b-fly goalie though. I make a lot of wrist cuff saves.

I'm usually good for one nice catch per game though. Had a nice windmill this morning that was dangerously close to being over the line.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
How do you butterfly goalies know when to go down? I mean is it purely feel and experience or are there cues from the shooter that you follow?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crashlanding posted:

How do you butterfly goalies know when to go down? I mean is it purely feel and experience or are there cues from the shooter that you follow?

I'll usually go down on a windup or if I'm heavily screened by a crowd and don't see the puck on either side of the boards.

It's easy to get around me by faking the windup, but going down pre-emptively behind a crowd of bodies has saved my bacon many many more times than it cost me goals. Obviously the key is to stay mobile. As soon as the sea of bodies gives you any hint of where the puck is or is going to go, you adjust. I try not to stay in the butterfly for no reason for very long.

I recently self diagnosed myself with Terrible Stance Disorder. My stance was trying way too hard to be over-reaching and was ridiculously wide. I'm now trying to work on a much MUCH narrower stance that will allow me to explode in either direction quickly, rather than my retarded wide stance which basically gave me very few lateral movement options. It's hard to push hard to either side when you're already basically doing the splits. Turned out that all that leads to is straight butterfly then you need to rely on shuffling to get you where you need to go. Needless to say that's pretty dumb.

Edit: Oh and also if I lose sight of the puck behind my net, I'll instinctively cross-crease bfly slide to the other post. Some people have told me to just shuffle across, but I'm a slower guy so it's easier to slide across expecting a one-timer from a behind-net pass than it is for me to shuffle over and butterfly once I get there.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

crashlanding posted:

There are tons of cues that you only get better at recognizing with experience. Slapshots are easy, obviously. As far as wrist shots go, you have to adjust your weight in a specific way to shoot, you have to do certain movements with your wrists that are a give away and in turn, your blade ends up in certain positions (typically over the puck, cupping it) that you wouldn't put it in in any situation other than when you're about to shoot.

Cup the puck like you're about to take a quick wrist shot, push it out 5-6 inches, and fire it and you'll score on me probably every time. Not many people can do it well but those that can, it's just nasty.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

crashlanding posted:

mostly cues regarding stance and play flow. to be honest i'm one of those TERRIBLE MAKING THE GAME BORING goalies that uses my ability to skate and read plays and therefore challenge out to above the paint on most shots. when you have BIG BODY PRESENCE you can get away with butterflying and not giving up the top shelf over the shoulders.

long story short: challenging aggressively allows you a much better margin of error!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
My new Hackva 2608 mask arrived today and it's shocking how light this thing is. It weighs about 2.5 lbs compared to my old Eddy Custom Kevlar which weighed 2.9 lbs. The cage also feels lighter for some reason, I haven't heard any complaints about it's strength, so I'm not concerned about it, but overall this mask is very light.

Now all I need to do is pick up a new dangler, which I'll do on Thursday or Friday and I'm back in action. I'll make sure to post some pictures when I get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

My new Hackva 2608 mask arrived today and it's shocking how light this thing is. It weighs about 2.5 lbs compared to my old Eddy Custom Kevlar which weighed 2.9 lbs. The cage also feels lighter for some reason, I haven't heard any complaints about it's strength, so I'm not concerned about it, but overall this mask is very light.

Now all I need to do is pick up a new dangler, which I'll do on Thursday or Friday and I'm back in action. I'll make sure to post some pictures when I get a chance.

Good pickup, my complaints with the Hackva lay mostly with the cage. It'll end up rusting a bit around the welds and if you take an extremely hard shot between the eyes it might end up chipping some of the paint around the forehead. It's the best mask you can get for your dollar and you cant beat a lifetime shell warranty. The only reason I picked up the 961 is because it fits my narrow face better.

• Locked thread