Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

crashlanding posted:

How do you butterfly goalies know when to go down? I mean is it purely feel and experience or are there cues from the shooter that you follow?

all feel here, I go down early a lot though - I just feel more comfortable seeing everything around me when I'm in my butterfly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Good pickup, my complaints with the Hackva lay mostly with the cage. It'll end up rusting a bit around the welds and if you take an extremely hard shot between the eyes it might end up chipping some of the paint around the forehead. It's the best mask you can get for your dollar and you cant beat a lifetime shell warranty. The only reason I picked up the 961 is because it fits my narrow face better.

I'm really looking forward to testing out the mask, it had the best combination of price, protection and weight that I could find. I actually got it for $291 including shipping, which is pretty drat impressive when you consider that my Eddy Custom Kevlar cost around $350-400 when I bought it and it only had kevlar in the high impact zones. The cage is the one thing that I'll need to wait and see about. I'll definitely need to be better about wiping it down to delay the onset of rust, but as long as it doesn't dent too easily then I'll be happy. The chipping of the paint around the top of the cage is something that I can live with, but I'll pay attention and see how bad it gets.

Right now I'm just looking forward to being able to log a bunch of ice time over the next few weeks, so that I can get my game back on track. I played great the night I lost my previous mask, so hopefully I haven't lapsed too much since Thanksgiving.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I'm really looking forward to testing out the mask, it had the best combination of price, protection and weight that I could find. I actually got it for $291 including shipping, which is pretty drat impressive when you consider that my Eddy Custom Kevlar cost around $350-400 when I bought it and it only had kevlar in the high impact zones. The cage is the one thing that I'll need to wait and see about. I'll definitely need to be better about wiping it down to delay the onset of rust, but as long as it doesn't dent too easily then I'll be happy. The chipping of the paint around the top of the cage is something that I can live with, but I'll pay attention and see how bad it gets.

Right now I'm just looking forward to being able to log a bunch of ice time over the next few weeks, so that I can get my game back on track. I played great the night I lost my previous mask, so hopefully I haven't lapsed too much since Thanksgiving.

Do you need a certified cage? If not I know he offers a stainless steel version of the cateye. I've had mine for a little over a year now and like I said there's some rust by the welds and on some of the hardware but its really not enough for me to care that much.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

titanium posted:

Do you need a certified cage? If not I know he offers a stainless steel version of the cateye. I've had mine for a little over a year now and like I said there's some rust by the welds and on some of the hardware but its really not enough for me to care that much.

Until I hit you in the mask with my atomic shot, and the blast hits your rusty mask and blinds you. MY SHOT IS SO AWESOME IT BLINDS GOALIES!!! :lol:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

I'll keep that in mind whenever I need to replace my cage. I'm not too worried about the rust, but for some reason I expected the cage to feel a little more substantial. I'll compare it to an Eddy cage at the hockey shop and see if it actually is thinner/ligher than their cages. Either way, I'm not really worried about it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I took out my mask for it's first test yesterday and so far, so good. I still need to adjust the straps and dangler a little bit, but I took one or two glancing blows off of my mask and everything worked like it should. I actually played well for a while and let in only 3 goals in the first 40-minutes, but I kind of fell apart after that, which was fine, since it was my first time on the ice in nearly a month.

I also got some tips from the other goalie at the end of the game, which should be helpful, and more importantly I ran into the hockey director at the rink and they are desperately looking for goalies, so it looks like I should be able to play in a league for free. I don't know if I'm starting this weekend or after the holidays, but I'm looking forward to being able to play something other than open hockey for once.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 20, 2008

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Alright who got what for Christmas.. My girlfriend went all out got me a nice C/A and new pants.. so now I can (Safely) play ice. A few Flyers shirts/jerseys and some pucks..oh and a jersey with my name and number on it! I made out like a bandit.

I just tried my new C/A (while playing roller) and holy poo poo the first hour of playing was hell. I'm not used to the bulky C/A so breaking it in was essential. After about an hour or so I got comfy, but I still have to get used to the bulk, also I have to tighten up some straps and adjust. But I take up a lot more of the net now.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got a 2XL North Stars jersey that I'll be able to wear over my C/A. I can't wait to wear it out on the ice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're feeling adventurous you can probably help your C/A break in by throwing it in the washing machine for a tumble. Just make sure you load it up with something else to try and balance the centrifugal effect. I usually throw my pants in too and luckily they settle to opposite ends so the washer doesn't jump around in the spin cycle.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I got an "IOU One C/A" coupon from my dad, since he knew just randomly buying one would be a bad idea.

I guess 5 years later, maybe I should replace that $90 Itech 4.8...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I am going to play inline for the first time in about a year tonight. I already played a noon ice pick up session today, so me being pre-exhausted from ealier plus readjusting to inline should lead to some hilarious results.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
...I just played ice for the first time.. for three and a half hours.. with one fifteen minute break. ...I did god drat amazing.

...I'm gonna go pass the hell out now.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

...I just played ice for the first time.. for three and a half hours.. with one fifteen minute break. ...I did god drat amazing.

...I'm gonna go pass the hell out now.

The talent level you face playing ice hockey is generally higher, but ice hockey is more suited to goaltending than inline. Logging 3.5 hours for your first time playing ice is pretty drat amazing, though I really do think that a birth by fire is the best way to adjust to ice hockey.

The inline session was a bit weird tonight, it's a new rink that is very nice and even has air conditioning, but there were 5 goalies there, so I only got about 35 minutes of ice time. The one thing that I can definitely say is that the year of ice skating has really paid off. I'm still a weak ice skater, but luckily what skating ability I've picked up has really translated well to inline hockey. I was easily the fastest goaltender there, so I felt comfortable coming way out of the net to challenge shots. My crease movements were also vastly improved from the last time I played inline, which made things a lot easier.

The big problem I had is that when I dropped my pads stuck to the surface, which is to be expected playing inline, but I think the problem was exacerbated since my pads were still a little damp from playing at a noon open hockey session. The other thing that I noticed is that since I didn't have the ability to move or really even extend/kick my leg out on the surface, I had to improvise a lot more on saves. I think that when I play ice hockey, I get into too much of a blocking mentality, but my lack of mobility on the ground forced me to improvise and rely on my athleticism a lot more, which lead to me making some spectacular looking saves.

I'm not sure how frequently I'll go out and play inline, but it is definitely a nice change of pace. It seems to be really good for practicing center-shifting, learning when to drop and improvising. Hopefully it will help bring some more athleticism back out into my ice hockey game, because I still feel like I'm too stiff out on the ice and my athleticism should really be a bigger part of my game.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Aniki posted:

The inline session was a bit weird tonight, it's a new rink that is very nice and even has air conditioning, but there were 5 goalies there, so I only got about 35 minutes of ice time. The one thing that I can definitely say is that the year of ice skating has really paid off. I'm still a weak ice skater, but luckily what skating ability I've picked up has really translated well to inline hockey. I was easily the fastest goaltender there, so I felt comfortable coming way out of the net to challenge shots. My crease movements were also vastly improved from the last time I played inline, which made things a lot easier.

It's really odd that there were 5 goalies at your rink; I went to play pick-up last night (having not played in a year or so) and there were 4 other goalies including me. Did you happen to go to the 949 Roller Hockey Center in Irvine? I was the idiot who forgot his jersey.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

parsleyc posted:

It's really odd that there were 5 goalies at your rink; I went to play pick-up last night (having not played in a year or so) and there were 4 other goalies including me. Did you happen to go to the 949 Roller Hockey Center in Irvine? I was the idiot who forgot his jersey.

Nope, some place called the Barn in Queen Creek, AZ.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

gco posted:

Any chance you're going to shinny every loving day it's available for the next month at STR? I'm in Norwalk too and I might not have as many rides as I'm hoping to get and I don't know if I'm going to be getting my license once school's out.

STR goons itt. I don't play pickup because it's too early in the morning. What level do you play at?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Alright.. now that I am semi-rested and sore as hell.. onto a trip report of my first ice experience!

My co-worker plays with on a team.. and on that team there is some really talented people.. some older guys.. but all pretty drat good (compared to what I usually play with anyways). So on the suggestion of Marty I decided to hit up an open game before I practiced with my co-workers team. I get out on the ice and the eight people that are there are just kinda staring at me.. maybe they were in shock that a goalie came? Anyways.. got right out on the ice no problems skating or moving (I have only skated about 3 or 4 times before this) and I just got right out there on warm-up. I was stopping pucks left and right, which I found unbelievable. There were times where I would go down and slide over (which the whole sliding is new to me) and slide about five feet away from the net.. but all in all it was a great warm-up.

Two hours of that (non-stop) and a fifteen minute break later... I'm out on the ice with my co-workers team.. for the next hour and a half.. non-stop. They started with a warm-up, and I noticed my muscles were getting tight even after stretching again.. so I just persevered and we went onto the game. There was this one guy who was fast as all hell, and a great puck handler, he was one of the better players. That guy was getting break-aways left and right, but every time I would come way out of the net to challenge him.. that guy did not score on me once. Ahh man it was so much fun and I can't wait to do some more open games in the future..

..and those frozen rubber pucks combined with the power of the people I was playing against.... holy poo poo. ..Sorry for the story.. I'm just excited.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haha I meant go find an open skate so you can get used to your skates and find your edges, not open hockey :pwn:

That is seriously a marathon run. But I'm glad it worked out so well for you. You'll get the hang of the sliding thing pretty quickly, and honestly right now I find myself sliding out of the crease on newly flooded ice as well sometimes unless I scuff up my crease.

Anyway, high five :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 3, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What would you guys consider a fair price for having your skates radiused/profiled?

Edit: Also, wtup :3:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 7, 2009

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

What would you guys consider a fair price for having your skates radiused/profiled?

Edit: Also, wtup :3:

Ohhhhhhhh look at you all color-coordinated. I personally look like franken-goalie. Blue glove, black/white blocker, black pads, yellow/maroon jersey, mismatched socks.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Playing some ice tonight.. and I am finding it drat near impossible to pack my bag with my new C/A and pants.. and ice skates. I'll get pics of how I pack it later.. because there is no way I am unpacking until tonight. I have the biggest bag I could find (no wheels.. mistake).. and I can barely get the fucker to close.

I know it'll get easier as my gear breaks in.. but maybe there is a better way?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Polish posted:

Playing some ice tonight.. and I am finding it drat near impossible to pack my bag with my new C/A and pants.. and ice skates. I'll get pics of how I pack it later.. because there is no way I am unpacking until tonight. I have the biggest bag I could find (no wheels.. mistake).. and I can barely get the fucker to close.

Sounds like you didn't get a goalie bag. I can even fit my pads into my bag if I absolutely need to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Ohhhhhhhh look at you all color-coordinated.

:ssh: There's a reason the photo was converted to B&W

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Try tucking your C/A shoulder first into your goalie pants. Otherwise try to keep your skates and trapper on opposite ends of your bag and put your knee pads on either the bottom or side. I really need to buy a bigger bag, but I've had the same bag forever and I'm accustomed to carrying everything like a hobo. Though you should be able to fit everything but your mask and leg pads in the bag.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought one of those $50 Costco RBK wheeled player bags and I can fit everything but my pads in with no problem really.

My pants and C/A pretty much compress down to nothing. I think that's the advantage of flat faced pads and a tiny C/A though. They fold up very well. BUT my system only works if they're the first thing to go in the bag, because they pretty much lie flat at the bottom.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Well poo poo. Left my gear outside on my back porch to dry out this weekend. Left the house for about 10 minutes. Come back home and the new dog has eaten my blocker. Mother fucker. Hate the new dog. Of course I had a game that night so I had to go the store and buy a new one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joey Walnuts posted:

Well poo poo. Left my gear outside on my back porch to dry out this weekend. Left the house for about 10 minutes. Come back home and the new dog has eaten my blocker. Mother fucker. Hate the new dog. Of course I had a game that night so I had to go the store and buy a new one.

Karma for your terrible terrible avatar :colbert:

But seriously, I just took my equipment out of the garage after my game last night, and it had chunks of ice on it. That's saltwater freezing in my garage. Fuckin freeeezing.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

Karma for your terrible terrible avatar :colbert:

But seriously, I just took my equipment out of the garage after my game last night, and it had chunks of ice on it. That's saltwater freezing in my garage. Fuckin freeeezing.

Humbug, my avatar is superb.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
All hail the gigantic basket that is my new catcher. This thing is giant. I can't miss.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love Brian's gloves but I hate the giant loving BRIAN'S they plaster on absolutely everything.

No different than any other manuf. I guess, but it bugs me more for some reason.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
They do have the alternate B-star logo, but I think that's only an option for custom orders.

Does anyone have any tips on re-braking in a glove. It looks like I seriously messed up breaking my glove in the first time around and in an effort to keep the glove open as it's natural state, I wrapped a big towel around a football and jammed it into the pocket. Will this actually this actually accomplish anything or is it dificult to change thins after the glove has already been broken in?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It'll be difficult because it's going to naturally bend at the point of least resistance which has already been worn in.

Not impossible, but I doubt it'll be easy.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Martytoof posted:

I love Brian's gloves but I hate the giant loving BRIAN'S they plaster on absolutely everything.

No different than any other manuf. I guess, but it bugs me more for some reason.
Learn to sew and put a huge "TOOF'S" over it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crashlanding posted:

Learn to sew and put a huge "TOOF'S" over it.

"and don't you forget it"

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

It'll be difficult because it's going to naturally bend at the point of least resistance which has already been worn in.

Not impossible, but I doubt it'll be easy.

I should be able to replace the glove in a couple of months, so I just need to get it to the point where it's not showing shut for now. I wonder if getting a TPS glove that naturally stays open like what Lundqvist uses would be a good idea?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had the same problem with mine but I manage to get it to stay mostly open by just pressing the top of the T against my thigh every minute or so. Pain in the rear end but I can't afford to replace mine right now :\

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

I had the same problem with mine but I manage to get it to stay mostly open by just pressing the top of the T against my thigh every minute or so. Pain in the rear end but I can't afford to replace mine right now :\

I've started doing that and I'm hoping the huge towel and football jammed into the pocket will make things better for now. Though on the plus side, this probably explains why I have so many glove saves bounce off my trapper.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Not that I'd suggest this for anyone, but my friend successfully broke in his catcher by closing it shut and parking his chevy blazer on it overnight.

Opens and closes with ease!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

The Mandingo posted:

Not that I'd suggest this for anyone, but my friend successfully broke in his catcher by closing it shut and parking his chevy blazer on it overnight.

Opens and closes with ease!

At this point, I'd settle for something that would just stay open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

At this point, I'd settle for something that would just stay open.

Amen. My glove hand increased a lot once I stopped trying to close my glove when I thought the puck was near my webbing. Now I don't even bother closing my glove, I just bring the open glove into my chest for a stop in play.

I guess I risk a popout but it hasn't happened yet.

• Locked thread