Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Martytoof posted:

Anyway, I also love playing any chance I can get, at whatever level I can find. I haven't found any real beginner games here yet, mostly because everyone here seems to have grown up on skates, but I've been thrown into some high skill games and while I can't say I'm ready for the AHL, it's a neat experience that gives you an eye for how good teams aren't necessarily faster than a regular team, they're just smarter.

The difference between AAA midget and Tier II Junior isn't the pace, in fact the pace (by pace I mean how hard everyone is working for the speed) in junior is usually slower, but the puck itself moves quicker, and much smarter.

We brought a team to a AAA midget summer tourney and because there were 2 american teams (of 6) each of the canadian teams were allowed two bring two overagers so we brought a couple of guys from the local tier 2 team that we had played with all our lives. They were complaining like crazy after the first at how exhausting it was to have to play balls out because every no one just stood around and passed, everyone was skating all out. Also, they said that they constantly had less time than they were used to, because in junior guys were more worried about being caught out of position than chasing the puck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Martytoof posted:

I love playing shinny because it gives me a chance to try things I normally wouldn't experiment with during an actual game. I am trying to work real hard on my puckhandling, but there are a good two or three times a game that I will make boneheaded passes up the boards or right past my intended target and onto the other team's stick.

My favourite is when I am behind the net and try to sail it out past the blue line only to have someone slap it down out of thin air and pass it to the slot while I make a mad dash for the net. That never works out for me :haw:

I've gotten really good at puckhandling over the past few weeks because I stay on the ice after everyone leaves to go to work. I just line up the pucks that no one claimed and fire them at the net. At the hash marks I can sail the puck pretty hard over the net but I can't master the switch glove hand thing that a lot of NHL goalies can do. It may be because I have a wood stick (gently caress if I'm paying $200+ for a god drat stick) and it won't flex, but I can do the backhand reverse glove hand just fine. Just goes to show you that even if you're a goalie and the only one on the ice you can still improve your game.
Also, I just got a refund check in from college for nearly $2000, can someone say new pro level helmet, glove, blocker, and pads? gently caress using that money for books, it's my god drat money and I've had my helmet for 4-5 years and 80+mph slapshots to the head are starting to cell my brain kills.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I finally got a chance to use my glove after working on trying to keep it open and it made a big difference. I made a couple of nice glove saves tonight that simply had to with my glove actually staying open. The first one was a play where I got my glove on a puck, it bounced up into the air and I caught behind my back. I've actually made a couple saves like that in the past, but this one landed right in the pocket. On the second glove save, I was laying flat on the ice and out of position and the player shot the puck and I was able to snap my trapper and rob him of what should have been a sure goal. I was happy that I bailed myself out, but I was still annoyed that I put myself in such a stupid position.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Minister Robathan posted:

The difference between AAA midget and Tier II Junior isn't the pace, in fact the pace (by pace I mean how hard everyone is working for the speed) in junior is usually slower, but the puck itself moves quicker, and much smarter.

We brought a team to a AAA midget summer tourney and because there were 2 american teams (of 6) each of the canadian teams were allowed two bring two overagers so we brought a couple of guys from the local tier 2 team that we had played with all our lives. They were complaining like crazy after the first at how exhausting it was to have to play balls out because every no one just stood around and passed, everyone was skating all out. Also, they said that they constantly had less time than they were used to, because in junior guys were more worried about being caught out of position than chasing the puck.

NCAA D1 and Major Juniors are like this too. College is REALLY fast, but not necessarily as skillful as Major Juniors.

My Junior A team used to scrimmage prep schools and the game was a lot faster, but a lot dumber too. We would usually have a hard time in the first, then eventually would start winning out with skill.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 25, 2009

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Yay for pregame jitters!
Normally I don't worry too much, but today I am in the role of a goalie replacing another goalie on this team. I have never met my teammates before, I play in 2 hours and I have 2 games back to back that will have a direct impact on the teams standings as playoffs are coming up fast. I have been fidgeting, stretching, trying to relax and am constantly checking the fit of my gear despite the fact that all my gear fits fine. On the plus side that kid in the skill competition that was trying to not stop all the fancy pants shots wore TPS R4s as well so it was nice to see my pads on NHL ice :D Now back to making sure my stick hasn't magically recurved itself.

gco
May 8, 2007

Space Cadet posted:

TPS R4s

I have the R8s and they have the same graphic, so it could have been that as well. Anyway, you can probably get away with having senior pads in a good level game, it's the senior level everything else you have to worry about, specifically glove and chest.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

The games today are beer league sponge hockey, I highly doubt I will be injured and so far even with my R4 glove I have yet to feel a shot to my hand (during shinny with a real puck). I am sure there will be stingers one day, but for this season, in this league I am merely breaking them in for the possible ball hockey team I am joining in a few months. I suspect over the summer I will be buying new gloves and possibly a new C/A even though my rbk ps2 C/A has yet to let me feel anything either. Next year I play ice above and beyond the shinny I am playing in my free time this year. For right now I am content with my gear as it matches my skill level and budget nicely. I still use wooden sticks!

gco
May 8, 2007

Yep, I do too. My logic is I'm going to end up paying $200 for a composite stick then find out a short time down the road that there's a new and improved one. With wood, they break eventually then you buy a brand new one.

The only difference I've found (although I've never used composite besides feeling it up in the pro shop [yeah, you heard me]) is it's lighter and you might get a good flex for shooting, which is probably what the NHLers rely on when they turn their glove hand the other way as if they're doing a backhand shot but go forehand for more power.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I hear you on the whole feeling up composite sticks, they are entirely different beasts from wood. Some are so light they feel like they are not even real and a few have this horrible sticky texture that I am sure works great but on bare skin feels dirty and wrong. The prices are too expensive for me as a hobbyist to justify, when a stick costs more than what I paid for my blocker and catcher combined I know that wood is for me. Besides, my old VIC and my new Bauer are nice, the Bauer is about half the weight of my Hextall VIC. Yes I said Hextall.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Well I just got back from my games, to put is short: I know now how London was feeling during WW2 as the Germans pounded the poo poo out of them. I had an ominous start to meeting this team, morale boosters included "we like to play for fun" and more damningly "you are going to see lots of rubber". THANKS :D

I can safely say that I dislike sponge hockey as it has all the benefits of having the following: no flow, no offsides, no stoppage in play except for: goals, out of bounds and goalies covering up the puck. My team was like the Mighty Ducks before Emilio Esteves came to save them, there was no rich law firm to buy us new gear and ice time to get good. They were decimated with injuries (its loving sponge hockey how do you get injured?) and only 3-4 actual team players were there. The rest like me were players who happened to say yes to the e-mail the captain sent out. It was definitely a learning experience, the puck goes faster, takes odd bounces and the rebounds are loving huge. At one point some shot went off my catcher and back out to the blue line in milliseconds.

Two forty minute games later and we had lost 11-3 and 10-1. I let in some soft ones, other times my defense helped double screen me or stood still while a 4 on 1 came rushing at me again and again and again. I was averaging a shot a minute, with no stoppage because the rebounds were so loving huge I could never reach them. After the game I talked to them in the change room, this was par for the course for them. They play an offense of 2 up, 2 in the neutral zone and 1 d-man at the blue line watching them get loving breakaway after breakaway. In my rough calculation for every minute we had the puck in their end they had it for ~4-5 in ours. I had fun, but hell I don't think I want to go back. I think I will stick with ball (where everyone has grip on the ground) or ice/inline where it keeps a steady pace and the plays are a little more predictable since there is only so much you can do on skates. I never knew how much I loved offsides until I played without them.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Ok I'll ask...what is sponge hockey?

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Sponge hockey: people generally play it wearing broom ball shoes, most people only wear shin guards and gloves for protection excepting the goalies. The biggest difference is that the "puck" is puck shaped in terms of size but is made out of a heavy type of sponge. If you have ever been to a hockey game where they roll something out and everyone has to chuck a puck onto the ice it is that type of puck. The benefit of the puck for players is that it is light meaning you can generally move the puck a lot faster then a real one.
The con to the puck for the goalie, every monkey on the ice is capable of whipping a puck faster then you are used to. People who can barely lift a real puck can pick corners from the blue line with these things. The puck being sponge bounces funny UNTIL it starts soaking up moisture in which case it gets heavier and starts freezing. This can lead to awesome unbalanced pucks that wobble or jump at the most inopportune times. They also give off big fat juicy rebounds, and due to the speed of the players (there is none) they can recover the puck and pass it much faster than the goalie can recover, players almost never have to worry about speed or balance. Every goal I saw scored today minus a few softies on my part, this includes the other teams was scored on the rebound and the other 2 goalies I talked to today also use this basically as a uniformed exercise since it is so ridiculous, but man do you have to move and move often.

In the league I just played for there are 2 20 minute periods with minimal stoppage and most importantly no offsides. You can literally dump the puck to a guy sitting outside the other teams crease time after time with no penalty. My team is unable to pass, can you see where most of our offense problems lay. So for 80 minutes today I had my teeth kicked in because I had no defense and the other teams could capitalize on the no offside rule.

It's an interesting hobby and after today I will play with this team again because they are so horrible it forces me to really work on positioning, rebound control and it's generally just good cardio having to move so loving much with all the equipment on. I will never expect to win, but I will expect it to help build my endurance, break in my gear and fine tune stuff for ice/inline.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 26, 2009

gco
May 8, 2007

OK, so I need some opinions from people that have bought equipment online, and some expertise in a variety of different kinds of pads.

Right now I'm looking into the company Eagle, as they have a 1/2 price sale right now on Goalie Monkey. I'm looking to get:
http://goaliemonkey.com/eagle-goalie-leg-pads-sentry-3-hybrid-11in.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/eagle-goalie-blocker-sentry2-pro-nhl-rvstk.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/eagle-goalie-glove-sentry2-pro.html

Anyway, the Sentry 3 pads look absolutely amazing for $700 and are indeed labeled pro. The only reason I'm going with the Sentry 2 glove and blocker is because the 3's aren't in any color that matches the Sentry 3 pads [I'm going for all black/grey/white look so whatever team I happen upon, I don't end up looking terribly mismatched. Last year I was on an orange team, I got $1100 orange pads, my R8's that WON'T loving CURVE even with bungee cords on them forever and ended up getting traded to a teal team (think imitation Sharks jersey)]. Well, enough of that incessant rambling...

However, the glove and blocker Sentry 2 are also labeled pro, is this just because they're the older model like TPS R8 is pro even though now they have the R10s? It's probably a stupid question but I don't want to end up with R4 quality 'senior' equipment as I'm trying to get rid of all my senior stuff as I'm hoping to do everything I can to get onto a competitive travel team.

Also, do you people that buy online try them on in the store first then just go about saying, 'oh, I'm just browsing to see how it feels'? I'm saying this because I know a lot of places get pissed if you try on their stuff to see how it feels then buy it cheaper online. I'm just skeptical as all the Eagle poo poo is in the online bargain bin and I'm just wondering if it's the same bad quality I heard the Vapor XXX goalie equipment was.

Thanks in advance for any help :) and if I have to rephrase anything, just say so, as I jumped around a lot typing in extra things here and there and it's late and looks OK after I reread it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got a chance to practice with a B-level ice team yesterday morning and I actually played pretty well. It was nice to go through a structured practice and while most of the early drills were pretty shooter centric, we spent a good 30-40 minutes working on an absolutely brutal drill where both goals were lined up on the same goal line and each side had two skaters with a defensemen that would jump in on offense. It was non-stop, very fast moving, and since they kept on rotating players in and out, it was dificult to figure out who was on your team. Still though you had to really focus on the game play and the drill emphasized attacking the net from the side rather than just facing an endless stream of breakaways was a nice change of pace.

I eventually wore out towards the end of practice, but considering that I played hockey with my friends earlier in the night, I felt that I did pretty well for logging 3-4 hours of ice time. I did well enough that they asked me to come back and it's a nice change of pace from just playing open hockey. I also noticed that my glove hand continued to improve with my now open glove and I feel like a putz for not fixing my glove sooner.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't honestly know the first thing about Eagle equipment, except that I wanted the >< graphic fusions SO MUCH for the longest time, so I don't feel qualified to give any info.

However if you do encounter people in stores that give you poo poo, just tell them that you're sizing up equipment because your birthday is coming up in a month and your wife/girlfriend/parents wanted you know what to get you when they call THIS STORE :monocle: -- it's so much easier than trying to explain to a pissy salesperson why you're not dropping $1300 THIS VERY SECOND. Then again, all of the stores up here seem to be incredibly cool with me just going in and trying on every piece of pro gear they have on the shelves so I'm pretty happy with that.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Eagle equipment is good. They were bought by Vaughn, so suppliers are just liqudating stock. As for looking at gear at stores and buying it online, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, if you have a good hockey shop in your town, they will even be willing to match goalie monkey's price. I will say that you should try as much stuff on as possible to get an idea what you want, since fit is the one element you miss out on by purchasing something online, but don't feel like you have a moral obligation to buy something at a shop, because you tried it on there.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I bought everything from here http://gatewayhardware.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/index.html when I was young (it was right down the street from me, the north is awesome) and still buy online from them now that I live in Tennessee.

Loyalty :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

$400 for a Rbk 8K trapper :monocle:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
so if blackburn went from a glove to a blocker, what happens if my blocker arm goes to poo poo?

i hope the surgeon doesn't gently caress this up :-\

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

so if blackburn went from a glove to a blocker, what happens if my blocker arm goes to poo poo?

Deflect pucks with the power of your mind.

Good luck!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tim Thomas posted:

i hope the surgeon doesn't gently caress this up :-\

butterfly goalies don't use their stick anyway you pussy

(gl)

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got the mask back finally!

Before.

After.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is pretty awesome. What kind of info did you give the artist? Did you do a sketch or just give them a layout of what you wanted?

Also, I had two red bulls last night before my game. I thought my heart was going to explode, but I seriously played one of the best games I have ever played. I'm wondering whether the problem with my game going to poo poo is my lack of stamina now. The red bull pretty much kept me HYPER through the entire game to the point where I was twitchy and hyperreactive. I became anal about my angles, and I noticed that my butterfly was much more precisely timed, both in dropping down and sliding across for anticipated backdoor or cross-crease passes.

Anyway, I kind of want to try this again next week and see if it keeps up, but I think I'll cut it down to one red bull -- I sersiously felt like I was going to die :laffo:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I purchased some of the artists pieces previously and he painted my house too.

But I had him pull from this stencil from the other piece I bought.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

titanium posted:

I purchased some of the artists pieces previously and he painted my house too.

Completely unrelated to goalie discussion, but this is so loving badass I couldn't help but state so for the record.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

Completely unrelated to goalie discussion, but this is so loving badass I couldn't help but state so for the record.

Thanks, his name is John Grider and you can see more of his stuff here. http://flickr.com/photos/brokencrow/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

How do you open your back door?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
A good goalie always keeps the back door closed. :haw:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Chemmy posted:

How do you open your back door?

It opens just like any other door with paint on it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Playing some ice tonight with the B team I played with before. I'm psyched for it.. although I haven't played in 2 weeks.. and I am getting over a cold right now. This is really going to suck not being able to breathe out of my nose.

Arg.. I hate playing when I'm sick.. ..although I quit smoking!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I dunno what that red bull is doing but I'm way on my game. I stopped every shot I should have EXCEPT for one retarded five-hole that I exposed while sliding across that good stick discipline would have prevented. Not to say I didn't get scored on, but they were all 2 on 0s, or tic-tac-toe plays that I honestly don't think I had much of a chance on.

Also, Polish -- try a breatheright strip maybe. I played with one when I was sick and I think I remember them actually helping a little, if only a little.

If you make sure your nose is dry and clean of oils before you apply them, they can pretty much withstand a game's worth of sweat.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have them at home.. Ill throw a couple in my bag.. good idea.

Also you might be onto something with the energy drinks. Whenever my friends play out they take the 4-5 hour energy deals.. and they don't get tired. So I think I am going to down one of those before I get on the ice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just remember to bring some soap or whatever to clean your nose at the rink. You may think you're clean but you're NOT :science:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
stop by a chinese place and grab a packet of spicy mustard. apply to tongue between periods. hello, clear airways!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So I took one of those five hour energy shots before the game.. and holy poo poo. I had energy throughout the entire game.. and I wasn't even a bit tired after the game. I haven't played in two weeks since I have been sick on and off.. and therefor I got worked over like a free hooker in a prison.

Yeah I did really really horrible last night.. ..time to go and practice.

But anyways, five hour energy drink.. highly recommended.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Polish posted:

I have them at home.. Ill throw a couple in my bag.. good idea.

Also you might be onto something with the energy drinks. Whenever my friends play out they take the 4-5 hour energy deals.. and they don't get tired. So I think I am going to down one of those before I get on the ice.

A banana will give you the same kick as an energy drink.

gco
May 8, 2007

Polish posted:

But anyways, five hour energy drink.. highly recommended.

I had one of those for the first time last night and they were loving terrible. I think I'll stick to Monster. So anyway, Thursday night I had a Monster before skating up for the first time since I sprained my left ankle for the first time last year. About 4 shifts in I was starting to feel nauseous on top of being incredibly tired. I got off the ice and walked around after taking off the top half of my equipment. I put it back on really loose and it ended up working out OK for the rest of the game, albeit I was exhausted every time I stepped on the ice.

The Monster probably would have worked if I was used to that type of workout, but god, skating up is so much different from the lateral movements of goaltenders. Highlights of the night, though: 3 assists, +2 +/-, 2 shots, and I threw the puck at the goalie once, does that also count as a shot? :3:

On a different note, I've been looking at Eagle equipment and am hoping to go try some on today at one of my local stores, just have to call them to see if anyone has anything left, or even had any of it to begin with. And on the same note of looking at Eagle equipment, who wouldn't want this if it came in senior?:

[alas, it's only on the catalogue as being intermediate; what hockey mom would want to buy you, anyway?]

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
It took me until two weeks ago to try using clear player tape instead of hockey tape to keep my knee pads on and I was surprised how much better it works. I guess it's obvious, but since I've never played out, it never occured to me to try it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

deoju posted:

A good goalie always keeps the back door closed. :haw:

Oh I wanted to make sure this bit of :lol: didn't go unnoticed :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:cool::hf::haw: