Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I was supposed to practice with the B-league team again this morning at 5:30 am. All of the players showed up, but no one from the rink bothered to come by and open it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

JayMax posted:

A banana will give you the same kick as an energy drink.

Yeah but.. bananas are disgusting. Kiwis and apples are where it at.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
First off, congratulations on this thread being a year old.

Secondly, I went to my local store to try on the Eagle equipment. Needless to say, I probably won't be going for them as the pads seem pretty sloppy (they were an inch too big at the knee on me, but I honestly couldn't picture -1 inch preventing the flopping the pad did) and the glove didn't have the surface area I was looking for. I did some research on some different pieces of equipment and was told their new shipment would be coming in in late March, so there'd be more of a variety and stock white/grey/black (what I'm looking for).

I also looked into helmets and found a nice Hackva for $329. I looked on Monkey and they have the same thing for $300 ($315 with shipping) and one that is texalium for an additional $60. Is the texalium protective at all or is it just for shiny show?

ref:
http://goaliemonkey.com/hackva-goalie-mask-sr.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/hackva-goalie-mask-carbon-sr.html

Also, people that have painted your masks yourselves, how long does it usually end up lasting before it chips/flakes?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gco posted:

First off, congratulations on this thread being a year old.

Secondly, I went to my local store to try on the Eagle equipment. Needless to say, I probably won't be going for them as the pads seem pretty sloppy (they were an inch too big at the knee on me, but I honestly couldn't picture -1 inch preventing the flopping the pad did) and the glove didn't have the surface area I was looking for. I did some research on some different pieces of equipment and was told their new shipment would be coming in in late March, so there'd be more of a variety and stock white/grey/black (what I'm looking for).

I also looked into helmets and found a nice Hackva for $329. I looked on Monkey and they have the same thing for $300 ($315 with shipping) and one that is texalium for an additional $60. Is the texalium protective at all or is it just for shiny show?

ref:
http://goaliemonkey.com/hackva-goalie-mask-sr.html
http://goaliemonkey.com/hackva-goalie-mask-carbon-sr.html

Also, people that have painted your masks yourselves, how long does it usually end up lasting before it chips/flakes?

The Texalium is just a shiny finish, but otherwise the masks are just the same. I've been very happy with my Hackva so far, it's been very protective and feels more solid than my Eddy Custom Kevlar did. I've taken some hard shots off of the mask without any ill effects, though I'm waiting for a really heavy shot to truly test the mask.

Make sure to check out Don Simmons, they carry the same mask for $267 and the shipping from Canada is only $20 or so. You do have to place your order over the phone, which is a bit weird, but they are very Canadian, which was a great source of unintentional humor. Also, they shipped my mask from Ontario to Arizona in less than a week.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gco posted:

It probably depends on the abuse it takes. I have painted two masks now, just a flat finish with gloss on each, and in both cases the paint holds up really well to pucks, but it's things like the cage rubbing against the paint that causes unsightly wear spots. In fact, the only chipping and peeling on either of my painted masks is where the mask meets the cage. It's a pretty snug fit so there's a lot of friction.

I could probably lay a thin strip of rubber between the mask and cage to prevent the rubbing, but I can't really be assed to protect my $10 paintjob all that much.

Anyway, the mask saw a fair amount of abuse. While not the target of TOO many headshots, it did have a lot of contact with the ice, posts, sticks cause I was a fuckin flopper when I started out.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
http://www.goaliestore.com/board/Classifieds/showproduct.php/product/5742/cat/8

I'm ordering one, I'll report back.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Interesting. Also, this was in the thread about the sweatband:

quote:

I had a similar idea to a ShamWow sweatband.

I used Always panty liners in my mask. I figured what could be better than that for absorbancy?

:laffo:

So what's up: Today was a terrible day for goalie Marty. I had not eaten anything all day and chugged a Full Throttle energy drink (or something like that), and basically blacked out and collapsed for a second 3/4 into the game. Thankfully I didn't hit anything, and I didn't really want to leave so I just sucked it up and kept playing. Next time, a good meal though. Yup!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Can't you get like 30 Shamwows for that price?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Polish posted:

I would just line your mask with a month's supply of paper towels.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Polish posted:

It's not just a piece of shamwow, it's sewn around a normal headband, plus it's free shipping, so it's worth a try!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
sbaizzle, go grab an upholsterer's needle or a sewing awl ($5), some shamwows ($10), and just do 'er yourself. then you'd really get like 20 headbands for the same price that dude is charging.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Tim Thomas posted:

sbaizzle, go grab an upholsterer's needle or a sewing awl ($5), some shamwows ($10), and just do 'er yourself. then you'd really get like 20 headbands for the same price that dude is charging.

sba is lazy

gco
May 8, 2007

:siren: Warning: wall of text to follow this warning :siren:

So, lovely morning shinny. Stopped the first 11 shots cold but there were 3 goalies so we switched up. Went back out and just got shat on. There wasn't a single shot that I shouldn't've had. 3 of them went in a far LOW corner that I should have easily grabbed with my toe but they managed to sneak their rubbery asses in. There were several factors that lead to this including little sleep (it totally affects your reaction time), not enough food in belly (as stated by Marty earlier), not playing goalie in a regulation sized rink in a long time (my Thursday night group is in a 'studio' rink but it's not like the nets are smaller) which totally hosed with my angles, skates not being sharpened since 3+ times on the ice ago, and pad adjustments. Despite all this evidence I still find myself guilty of sucking totally hard and it is all my fault.

For the pads, I've been trying for months now to get a good curve going with bungie cords with little success. When I went to my local pro shop, they gave me some thigh rise stiffeners (lost my old ones 'cause I thought they made it so it wouldn't bend) and bent them. Needless to say I was impressed with how my butterfly looked while I was stretching but I think the curve went away shortly thereafter, haven't pulled out the stiffeners and checked yet. While they still had the curved shape, though, in the first half, my feet were killing me. I had to butterfly whenever the puck was out of my zone and I had the feeling that the stiffeners were pushing the pad away from my legs and the pad was basically resting on my foot, weighing it down a good 5 lbs or so. Am I crazy or do I have a decent theory here?

With 6 GA and some mid/high twenties saves (lost count because I was busy yelling obscenities at myself) I was sub-85% for the first time in a long while, which I was hoping to avoid from ever reaching again in a shinny (being my fault) but hey, I did better than Valiquette tonight. Poor guy :(

PS Marty why did you post that at three in the loving morning? You are EST aren't you?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'm EST, but my games aren't until 11, so by the time I get home it's like 1:30 or 2am cause I usually grab a slice of pizza or a beer with some guys, and this time I got home, turned on the shower, and just sat under it for like 20 minutes without moving :lol:

And I loving hate switching up. Sometimes we'll only have one goalie in our thursday games (me), and I'll switch ends every 10 minutes. I usually play great for the first 10 minutes, but as soon as I switch it takes me some retarded amount of time to get used to the new side, so five minutes I let in some lovely goals and by the time it's time for me to switch I've just gotten used to the team/side/whatever.

It's a terrible loving way to play and it makes me want to strangle our other goalie for not showing up, if that didn't mean he'd be out of commission :v:

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Quick question for anyone who may have an answer since I have been looking around but not having much success, for people playing inline on a concrete surface what would be a decent way to protect my poor pads from being beaten to absolute poo poo? Also, does anyone have an experience with the Sher-wood Cerberus 5 glove set, as a full righty gear off the shelf is hard to find and where I live there is a place wanting to dump them for cheap. I just want to know if they will be worth it either for ball or inline.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The C5s are pretty low end gloves I think, but if you can find them for cheap, they would be a good beater pair. Especially if you're playing on concrete. You just won't get any of the fancy thicker palm protection you would with a pro palm, and the stitching will probably start to tear the "leather" sooner than you would want to see. That's been my experience with cheaper gloves. They'll still do the job admirably though -- I mean its not like they won't catch or block a puck.

All depends on the price, right?

I played with a set of DR 5.2 gloves for a long time, and while they looked stupid they worked pretty well. I eventually handed them off to some other goalie and as far as I know he's still using them.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Thanks Marty, by the way do you ever sleep? looking at the times of some of your posts I think you must be awake ~22 hours a day. I will confirm the prices, but from what I remember I could snag the cerberus set for less then 70 CDN. These would be used exclusively for ball/inline, but I will check around and see if there is any high quality used equipment. The C5 set is brand spanking new but that doesnt mean much when I will be buying a used pair of Koho Revolutions to beat the poo poo out of as well. As for all you gear whores out there, now that some seasons are starting to wind down anyone have any plans to upgrade? This year was mostly just stretching and seeing if I could still do it, next fall I hope to play in some competitive ice league and have my eyes on some r12s :D and my r4 set will then be used for ball/inline. I just dont want to ruin my current set since when I played last night I had 3 different guys offering to buy my stuff off me if/when I decide to let it go.

gco
May 8, 2007

Space Cadet posted:

some r12s

um... R10s?

I was not aware there was such thing as R12s yet.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I stand corrected, I think I am getting a bit ahead of myself and simply assumed that they will release r12s over the summer. Needless to say I find myself quite enjoying the fit, weight, and rebound control of my R4 set and want to remain in a similar pad as I go up in gear. But yes, if I can either order early enough or find them locally I would love to grab a pair of R8 or higher. I am also considering ordering either a sportmask or hackva as a backup mask should my sher-wood ever get damaged. Yay for not having kids yet!

Edit: Is it normal to have people come up and offer to buy your equipment off your back? prior to last night I had only ever gotten comments on my pretty boy mask, but after the game I was feeling like a piece of meat. Guys from other teams were checking it out, and honestly anyone walking by would have thought I was selling it off. They weren't rude about it, but it was a little odd to have people touching my stuff! Most of the other teams goalies play with ancient stuff. I see Bauer reactor, DR and old 12 inch and wider pads on most other teams. Either way, it was odd.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 7, 2009

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
poo poo poo poo poo poo. My team couldn't possibly be making this harder for me. Last night, my defense would coalesce into the slot right in front of me on every odd-man rush. Offending team would march into the zone, my defender would be skating backwards, and that's all they would do; no poke check, no pick, no nothing... just keep skating backwards until my view was blocked. I'd either have to block a shot through a teammate's screen, or the puckhandler would get in so close that I'd lose any angle advantage I had.

It's aggravating. If a defender's rear end is even with the defensive faceoff circles and still hasn't made the puckhandler do something, he's too drat late. Being around the play (or lack thereof) is doing more harm than good at that point. I would literally rather face a breakaway than to attempt to defend the net with defense that doesn't engage; I'd have a better chance of blocking it.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I know your suffering, that sounds exactly like this spongee team that I am trying to hobble through the playoffs with. In fact I was warned that one of our defensemen may attempt to put it on net so that I could cover the puck. At what point is shooting at your own goalie a viable defensive strategy? All it does is give me a faceoff 10 feet from the net. I played the game and although they are the worst team in the league, yesterday I held the best team to only 7 goals. For posterity sake, this is one of the same teams that put 10 or so behind me the last time I played them. I faced the same amount of shots but kept out a few more, but again my defense like to think they are helping by "taking away the angles" but all they really do is block the play so I can't see the drop passes or see the pass into the slot once it is 3/4 of the way across. Here is hoping my ball hockey and possible inline team will do me better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cadet: Hockey has absolutely hosed my sleep schedule. Red Bull + 11pm game = Awake until 7am.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
lovely night, took a shot directly to the heart (har har Bon Jovi) when getting tall in butterfly and my chest pad straps were loose. Then my composite goalie stick got busted from a Reed Larson slapshot

Have any of you used that Ferral goalie undershirt? If so, how machine washable is it?

Next stick I'm probably going to get is a One95 unless anyone suggests otherwise. I heard they fixed a lot of issues they had with the original XXX stick.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
code:
League#:948 WEDNESDAY INLINE GREEN        

Team name                        W   L   T Pts  Gf  Ga
------------------------------- -- ---  -- --- --- ---
RAMPAGE                          4   0   1  13  33  19
MAN-BEAR-PIGS                    4   0   0  12  42  19
WHALERS                          3   1   1  10  26  20
CHEEKTOWAGA BLIZZARD             3   1   0   9  31  22
YINGS                            2   2   0   6  25  22
BLUES                            1   2   2   5  24  25
T-MOBILE                         1   3   0   3   8  30
SONICS                           0   5   0   0  23  37
ROLLER                           0   4   0   0  10  28
Long time since I've been here. 3-1 with the main team, but I've also played twice for Rampage and T-Mobile. Getting a lot of work in this session, went 2-0 yesterday. Won 5-4 with the Blizzard over Blues, and won 5-2 with Rampage over Roller. Back to back this week, after last week when I played 3 straight.

gco
May 8, 2007

I just got a new helmet yesterday :woop:

And yes, I do have a rubber bracelet that says "I am a goalie".

Also, spoke with a helpful guy and tried on some gloves and blockers and I have to say: I am a TPS whore. I tried on all different brands but nothing felt more comfortable than the store's custom TPS R8 glove. It's a double-T pocket with 1 fewer pad on the top of the pocket so it closes practically all the way. He told me only bad things about the R10 glove so buyers beware as I'm told it's really hard to close and it doesn't close all the way and even Lundqvist has lost a puck or two.

However, the R10 blocker is a different story. Good god is it loaded with protection. I fell in love with it after hearing it's only $279 USD. Just to give you an idea: if you turn your hand away from your body, you can use that padding as a blocker in itself. Yeah. That's legal, too.

So I'm almost certain when the new shipments for the store come in in March that I'm going to have a TPS R8 custom glove and R10 blocker. I'm still not sure about pads quite yet, as I didn't try on any yesterday but I had my eye on the R10s, as I've loved my R8s thus far. God damnit I have to at least try to lure myself away from TPS.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fuckin sweet. There's nothing wrong with being a brand whore as long as you're happy with it.

Then again before I tried on my Rbks I was a Vaughn whore -- now I doubt I could ever leave Rbk :v:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
if you aren't using a smith blocker you're just fooling yourself

hope this helps!

gco
May 8, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

if you aren't using a smith blocker you're just fooling yourself

hope this helps!

I didn't see anything by the name of Smith at the store I tried stuff on at. Also, why are the 5000s so inexpensive on their website?

I might be playing up to 4 times this coming weekend!

Shinny in Rye on Thursday night (though probably skating up :()
Shinny in Stamford on Friday morning (hopefully to try out new helmet)
Practice in Stamford on Saturday morning (with old team that has lazy fucker goalies that never show up to practice; oh well, their loss)
Clinic in Danbury on Saturday night (hope to loving god this isn't booked because it's $25 for an hour with a low level pro team and then watch their game afterwards. good chance to ask them if they have jobs besides hockey which I've been wondering :v:)

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
because pete smith is god, more or less

it's all custom order stuff and it's all terrific. my next set of pads, assuming whatever becomes of mission/itech doesn't sponsor me, will be smiths. unfortunately, i don't see that day ever coming, as my itechs are tanks and i absolutely love the pad with all my heart.

the smith blocker is basically a reduced-weight velocity with a slightly smaller glove for guys with weenie hands like mine. it is the tits.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 15, 2009

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Man, this season is just going downhill. We were in 2nd place a little before halfway through the season, and we've now dropped 6 games in a row. What's aggravating me are the excuses and whining I'm now hearing. "That team shouldn't be in this league." "They had way better players this time." No, you dorks, it's not them. It's us. You can't drop 5 breakaways on me, endless odd-man rushes, literally take 1 shot for every 4 that they take, and still expect to win.

Part of me just wants to make the extra drive up to the other rink and play in the A-league there, because that would be a lot more fun of a challenge than playing by myself out there. I want a challenge where the team I'm with is at a similar skill level. Being the good goalie who gives a mediocre team a chance is really wearing thin. Ugh.

gco
May 8, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

because pete smith is god, more or less

it's all custom order stuff and it's all terrific. my next set of pads, assuming whatever becomes of mission/itech doesn't sponsor me, will be smiths. unfortunately, i don't see that day ever coming, as my itechs are tanks and i absolutely love the pad with all my heart.

the smith blocker is basically a reduced-weight velocity with a slightly smaller glove for guys with weenie hands like mine. it is the tits.

Oh man I'd love to get sponsored... how do you go about pursuing that for future reference? I don't think I'd be a Smith blocker fan as I don't have wimpy hands; my hands have a wingspan from thumb tip to pinky tip of 9.5 inches and height of 7.5 from low palm to middle finger tip. The only person I know with bigger hands than mine are my dad's. His are loving huge. /un-derail about hands and poo poo

Hazed_blue posted:

Man, this season is just going downhill. We were in 2nd place a little before halfway through the season, and we've now dropped 6 games in a row. What's aggravating me are the excuses and whining I'm now hearing. "That team shouldn't be in this league." "They had way better players this time." No, you dorks, it's not them. It's us. You can't drop 5 breakaways on me, endless odd-man rushes, literally take 1 shot for every 4 that they take, and still expect to win.

Part of me just wants to make the extra drive up to the other rink and play in the A-league there, because that would be a lot more fun of a challenge than playing by myself out there. I want a challenge where the team I'm with is at a similar skill level. Being the good goalie who gives a mediocre team a chance is really wearing thin. Ugh.

Are you King Henrik? :crossarms:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I was on my way to my ball hockey team game tonight where I've been playing D all season (and pretty average at that), when the captain calls me and says I may be playing goal tonight. I flip out because I don't have my gear, but the regular goalie has his, of course, and they just want me to wear his.

About 10 minutes later he calls me again and says I'm in. I'm a bit suprised, but I think they wanted a little more punch from the D (which had been struggling alot lately, me definitely being part of that, I was 0-0-0 0 SOG 2 penalties and -2 in 3 games!

After getting loose and taking some warmups, I got between the pipes for just the second time in like a year and a half. We played a team who we only beat last time because thier goalie was awful. Well he showed up this game, so of course I had to actually play well, and not count on them bailing me out. I didn't even take a shot until like 4 minutes into the first, and gave up a goal late in the first on a one timer across the slot that I juuuuuust missed getting across with my right pad on.

We of course couldn't hit the goddamn net, and the other team had me moving laterally a ton on one timers, but my timing was well, and I made a handful of pretty saves. Gave up two in the second, one on a slapper from the point I didn't see till it was almost by me, as no one cleared out the two guys in front. Third was another one timer to the right faceoff area, and I think it actually got under my right pad, which wasn't flush.

We went into the third down 3-0, and finally got a couple with about 5 minutes to go. Made a huge toe save on a breakaway to keep it close, but we couldn't find that third to get even.

I felt great though, and amazingly my movement seemed good, and considering I didn't have my gear, I managed to adjust well (his glove and blocker were tiny, C/A was huge). I feel like we played better this way, so I'm going to talk to the captain during the week to see if I can get back in goal for the rest of the way. I felt so, so much more comfortable in net, even being rusty, than I have all season on D.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You'd better be bringing up your kid as a goalie, I'm just throwin' that out there :cool:

But seriously, awesome how even in a loss you can find things to be proud of. I fuckin' love this position.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I dunno, as big as he's getting (granted he's only a couple months old) I think his Big Body Presence will force him to play D! Plus I just see the dollar signs jumping in my head, having to buy him new pads every couple years. ugh!

It is definitely cool though, because I know if I was playing D, I probably would've been upset with a few things, etc. etc. since I don't score at all really. Even though a win is nicer, and I think I coulda had the GWG, I felt good, and actually came out of the game happy.

I'm also thinking about getting new (or used) pads. I'm getting more and more comfortable basically doing a full butterfly, instead of my "Tim Thomas hybrid" I've been doing for a while. The pads I use are oldish, and not really condusive to a butterfly, as I'm basically hanging on a tiny side pad and the straps when I go down. For someone who's playing recreationally and not that often (and roller), anyone got any good suggestions that won't kill my bank account?

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

gco posted:

Are you King Henrik? :crossarms:
Haha. Alright, this made me feel a little better.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

gco posted:

Oh man I'd love to get sponsored... how do you go about pursuing that for future reference?

Play pro roller hockey. I'm currently sponsored by Rink Rat and there's been rumblings about playing in NARCh if my shoulder is healed by then. Mission has a relationship with my team and they provide a lot of gear to us for reduced cost or free.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Played 3 games yesterday. All one right after the other. It hurts. All of it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Played 3 games yesterday. All one right after the other. It hurts. All of it.

Jesus. How did you do? I always found that I played better in the second game of back to backs, but playing a third game in a row sounds like torture.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I'm also thinking about getting new (or used) pads. I'm getting more and more comfortable basically doing a full butterfly, instead of my "Tim Thomas hybrid" I've been doing for a while. The pads I use are oldish, and not really condusive to a butterfly, as I'm basically hanging on a tiny side pad and the straps when I go down. For someone who's playing recreationally and not that often (and roller), anyone got any good suggestions that won't kill my bank account?

If you're looking for something that will last you, go check out the classifieds on goaliestore -- all recent pads are pretty good and will fit your bill, and you can find a lot of good stuff sub-600.

If you're uncomfortable with buying used and really want the new pad smell then the SR line of basically all the major pad brads are pretty good. I'm really happy with my 8Ks and the only issue with them is durability inasmuch as I've got to patch holes that appear due to substandard material use. Not a big deal for me since I can use a sewing awl, but w/e.

I think with the way used pad prices are falling it's just a matter of what you're comfortable with. I suggest going to a store with a few models of goalie pads and trying them on to get a feel for what you like and what you don't.

I know it's an open ended answer so if you're looking for something more concrete I don't think you can go wrong with the Vaughn 7400s as long as you're comfortable with a closed leg channel. Give those a try if you want to buy new, otherwise check out the GSBB :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

No that works. I didn't know if anyone knew any good specific deals, which would've been fine. But pointing me to a place like you said works too. I gotta head to a local hockey shop, and see if I can try on some gear, then go hit up some used places/ebay/etc. and see if I can find anything.

• Locked thread