Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alvinthegreat
Feb 23, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

You're in luck! I am the one single person in this thread who actually listens to/recommends non-American/UK ska (you guys are missing out), so your post will not have gone in vain.

Yes, I've noticed that trad/Jamaican ska gets very little love in this thread.

Also, SkaPara, La Ruda Salska, and OreSkaBand are staples of my ska collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

While we're recommending bands, I may have mentioned this before, but One Night Band's new album is now available in the US on poo poo like Napster. They dropped the horns on this album, but it ultimately doesn't matter because their album is produced by the Aggrolites, and it is crunchy and catchy as gently caress, just like I was hoping.

Way Back Home had a couple of really awesome songs (Rolling the Dice, Le Monde á Nos Pieds, Can't Stand It), but Hit & Run is by far a much better album all around. Their style is basically rocksteady/ska, so imagine an Aggrolites album cranked up another 40-50 BPM and that's what this is.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

alvinthegreat posted:

Yes, I've noticed that trad/Jamaican ska gets very little love in this thread.

Also, SkaPara, La Ruda Salska, and OreSkaBand are staples of my ska collection.

Christ, I don't shut up about La Ruda. You'll be excited to know they've got a new album, "Grand Soir", coming out next month. Let's not forget: Freygolo, Obrint Pas, The Locos, Miami Bazooka Head, Stevo's Teen, No Authority, and I could go on.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Ska-P is in the OP :colbert:

Some of the best ska I've heard lately is foreign. I was telling a friend about TSPO a while ago, he works for a TV station dealing specifically with asian alternative music and hadn't heard of them.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

You're in luck! I am the one single person in this thread who actually listens to/recommends non-American/UK ska (you guys are missing out), so your post will not have gone in vain.
I've got a bunch of japanese ska, Kemuri, Ska Ska Club, Yum! Yum! ORANGE, Ore Ska Band.

For english ska I can't recommend Mumrah/The Display Team enough, their EP Huzzah! is some great progressive rock/ska punk stuff, definitely something I don't hear enough.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=12780006

Dr Octopus was a decent australian ska band, similar to Sonic Boom Six in terms of sound, maybe with less punk, though.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Anyone like Leningrad as far as Russian Ska goes? They seem to teeter off into punk and even folk sometimes, but they have some good ska tracks.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Sandwolf posted:

Anyone like Leningrad as far as Russian Ska goes? They seem to teeter off into punk and even folk sometimes, but they have some good ska tracks.

I'm come across some of their stuff on last.fm, I was a fan. Haven't had much more exposure than that, I'll have to look them up again.

Did anyone go to the Toasters show tonight in NYC? A friend happened to know the leader singer of Across the Aisle, so he reminded me of the show and I went along. I kinda want to die now after six hours of dancing, but it was a fantastic show.

HeySka
Jan 3, 2006

...or is it?
Thought this was relevant and I didn't know if it had been posted yet, but there is a Ska documentary called "The Up Beat" that can be found HERE. It looks pretty good and I am going to pick it up in the next few days. Sorry if this is a repeat, didn't scour the rest of the posts to make sure.

Edit: Just checked the site and it is down. If you are still interested you can pick it up via their Myspace page HERE

HeySka fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 25, 2009

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
drat I had no idea that existed. I'm going to pick it up probably next week.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Man, the Slackers have gotta be the most consistently awesome band around right now. A release or two almost every year since 96, and I can't think of a single one that isn't at least good. Think I'm gonna go see them soon in Westchester, they usually put on a good show.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Well, I suppose this counts.

http://www.nodoubt.com/events/

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Paramore? really?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The more I listen to it, the more I love Scrambles.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'm
Twweeeeeenty-fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive
And I still act like I'm ten!

So god drat good. BtMI! definitely didn't disappoint with this one.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Well, I suppose this counts.

http://www.nodoubt.com/events/

This is awesome. My mother and I are going to this in Atlanta along with one of my friends. No Doubt is awesome and more ska-ish pop would be cool.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

A bunch of random crap:

- I was excited to see that Taj Motel Trio will be playing in Moorestown, NJ (near Philly) in March. And then I realized that I already have tickets to see Less Than Jake that night. I hate when that happens. I'm sorry Josh :(

- I really want to see Edna's Goldfish. I almost went to their last reunion back in like early 2001, and I really regret not going. But I really don't want to drive all the way up there from the Philly area for 30 minutes of one band and a day full of crap.

- I'm really digging Scrambles. Its' sound is a logical progression from Get Warmer. Which is the sort of poo poo I LOVE.

- I've never really listened to them, but I saw that Chase Long Beach signed to Victory Records. All I could think was, "hehe...You dumb bastards". Seriously, don't they know better?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

WaffleZombie posted:

- I really want to see Edna's Goldfish. I almost went to their last reunion back in like early 2001, and I really regret not going. But I really don't want to drive all the way up there from the Philly area for 30 minutes of one band and a day full of crap.

Yeah, I really want to see them but it's really hard to justify $50 to watch a half-hour set. Third Eye Blind being there is sort of convincing me towards going but I know one band will play at 1 and the other will be at 7 and I'll end up having to sit around for 6 hours holding my dick.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

WaffleZombie posted:

A bunch of random crap:

- I was excited to see that Taj Motel Trio will be playing in Moorestown, NJ (near Philly) in March. And then I realized that I already have tickets to see Less Than Jake that night. I hate when that happens. I'm sorry Josh :(

Yea, we were actually gonna try and play Philly that night but then I saw the Less Than Jake show and knew that was hopeless. Never fear though, we're going to be doing another east coast/northeast tour this summer and hopefully we can do a Philly show with Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause (who's record is awesome).

Also speaking of bands signing to labels Royal City Riot (who's album is also awesome) just signed to Megalith. I only saw Chase Long Beach once, at Ska Weekend, and the crowd wasn't really into them. We were setting up to play so I didn't get to really watch their set, but I didn't much care for it either. They're apparently pretty big on the west coast though.

Also we're leaving for tour in like a day, so if you live near one of the shows come on out and say hey. I'm the dude with the stupid mohawk. We're playing with some great bands on most of the shows:

Mar 5 2009 West Columbia, South Carolina

Mar 6 2009 Chesterfield, Virginia

Mar 7 2009 Syracuse, New York

Mar 8 2009 Albany, New York

Mar 9 2009 Jamaica Plains, Massachusetts

Mar 11 2009 Dansbury, Connecticut

Mar 13 2009 Staten Island, New York

Mar 14 2009 Moorestown, New Jersey

If anybody that lives remotely close to any of these shows wants to let us crash on the floor it'd be greatly appreciated, we can't afford hotels and it is cold as hell sleeping in the van.

More info is on the myspace of course: https://www.myspace.com/ttmt

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I've had a Pandora station seeded with Streetlight Manifesto and it's really been a good background for a lot of my workday.

After seeing a lot of SM avatars I went poking around for this thread. Thanks thread. :)

Still loving:

A lot of Less Than Jake
Five Iron Frenzy
Tomas Kalnoky-fronted bands
Reel Big Fish (especially Cheer Up)
Suicide Machines

And really there's good new stuff on my pandora station every day :)

Tofig
Oct 28, 2004
The difference between a cow and a bean is that a bean could begin an adventure!

Me too. I also like How It Goes, for a very specific reason. I bought the tracks out of order, and they just so happened to be the best songs. I totally get why people hate How it Goes, because Big D, for whatever reason, put their weakest material at the front of the CD (tracks 2-5, specifically). But if you cut out the 8-9 lovely songs, it still leaves an LP-length album of decent-to-good material (12 songs).

I guess Big D is just bad at quality control and making creative decisions. I thought Strictly Rude and Strictly Thrash were mediocre albums, but if you were to combine some of the songs from both albums together, it would make one solid album. Making two separate CDs was a terrible idea. I think they tend to throw a ton of stuff at the wall to see what sticks, but then they end up selling all of it anyway.

I didn't even realize Strictly Thrash had been written or produced yet. Has it?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Don't know if this counts but Sublime is reuniting.

MTV posted:

Nearly four months ago, rumors began swirling that Sublime — the celebrated Long Beach ska/punk misfits who achieved fame after the death of lead singer Bradley Nowell in 1996 — were contemplating a full-fledged reunion with a mysterious "unknown singer and guitarist" filling Nowell's spot. Well, over the weekend, at a Mexican restaurant in Sparks, Nevada, that reunion officially happened.

Of course, that sort of depends on your definition of "reunion".

On Saturday, Del Mar, a punk act featuring former Sublime drummer Bud Gaugh, took the stage at the Cantina Los Tres Hombres, a Sparks restaurant/bar (try the Burritos Grandes). After finishing the set, Gaugh then took the stage again, joined by Sublime bassist Eric Wilson and a Southern California singer by the name of Rome and began playing Sublime songs (check out a photo of the set list here), even reportedly testing out at least one new song.

The audience went crazy (here's a clip). After all, since calling it quits in '96, Sublime have had a string of hits (most notably "What I Got" and "Santeria"), sold more than 17 million albums worldwide and inspired a cottage industry of tribute acts, including Providence, Rhode Island's Badfish. But does the Cantina gig mean that Sublime are back in business? Well, according to Del Mar, the answer is "yes".

"So, Del Mar played the gig at Cantina last night ... it was packed and amazing. What really f---ing killed it was Sublime reuniting and playing with new singer, Rome," the band wrote on its MySpace page. "We're f---ing stoked for Bud, Eric and Rome ... Bud's still playing with Del Mar, and Sublime doesn't have any firm tour plans or anything Yet, but we'll keep you posted on their progress."

That post set off a flurry of message-board activity, most of it centered on the question of whether a Sublime without Nowell actually counts as Sublime at all. "Sorry, but it's not Sublime without Brad Nowell," one PunkDisasters.com poster wrote. "That's like saying Nirvana reunited last night." Fans also wonder if this so-called reunion is just another incarnation of the Long Beach Dub Allstars, the group Gaugh and Wilson formed following Nowell's death of a heroin overdose in 1996.

And while the debate may rage, according to one person who was at the Cantina show, what he saw was very much the reincarnation of Sublime.

"They sure sounded like Sublime. It was incredible," Thad Peterson, the booker for the Cantina, told MTV News yesterday (March 2). "It was an all-around incredible show. The band was tight, and they sounded great."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tofig posted:

I didn't even realize Strictly Thrash had been written or produced yet. Has it?
I'm just referring to the Beijing to Boston split which was released right around the time of that announcement. If they have another album that they're going to call Strictly Thrash, I would advise that they.. don't?? Just record and release a normal album instead of stretching yourself thin with these segregated CDs.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Three cheers is up on QUR, how about that.

Tofig
Oct 28, 2004
The difference between a cow and a bean is that a bean could begin an adventure!

I'm just referring to the Beijing to Boston split which was released right around the time of that announcement. If they have another album that they're going to call Strictly Thrash, I would advise that they.. don't?? Just record and release a normal album instead of stretching yourself thin with these segregated CDs.

Yeah, I had read that they're doing Strictly Dub and then Strictly Thrash. I love Big D, but I have to agree with you on this one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What's the deal with this? Free download, donate if you like it?

EDIT: Oh, look, an info link. Yes, that's it, apparently. I didn't like the other album of theirs I heard, but I hear so much about this one, I'll give it a shot.

guppy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 5, 2009

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
I've been lightly into ska for a while, mainly Catch-22, Streetlight Manifesto, BOTAR, and Big D & The Kids Table. I borrowed a bunch of Less Than Jake albums from a friend and I'm wondering if anyone knows where to start on listening to those.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Xanieth posted:

I've been lightly into ska for a while, mainly Catch-22, Streetlight Manifesto, BOTAR, and Big D & The Kids Table. I borrowed a bunch of Less Than Jake albums from a friend and I'm wondering if anyone knows where to start on listening to those.

I personally would recommend Hello Rockview and Losing Streak. Anthem if you want a slightly poppier sound.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

I personally would recommend Hello Rockview and Losing Streak. Anthem if you want a slightly poppier sound.

I'd also recommend Borders & Boundaries, and the newest one, GNV FLA. Anthem & In with the Out Crowd are super poppy, but GNVFLA is a lot more upstroke and horn based.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Scrambles gets 5 stars in Alt. Press

And these guys just own.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Lurchington posted:

I've had a Pandora station seeded with Streetlight Manifesto and it's really been a good background for a lot of my workday.

After seeing a lot of SM avatars I went poking around for this thread. Thanks thread. :)

Still loving:

A lot of Less Than Jake
Five Iron Frenzy
Tomas Kalnoky-fronted bands
Reel Big Fish (especially Cheer Up)
Suicide Machines

And really there's good new stuff on my pandora station every day :)

Ahhh gently caress I haven't listened to the Suicide Machines in forever, now I know what I'm doing when I get home from work

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I think the best album is The End, but FIF is one of my top 3 favorite bands and I'd place all the CDs very close to each other.

All The Hype That Money Can Buy - I personally would say start with this. I feel the variety of songs and styles is the broadest on this CD, if there's nothing on here you like, you probably won't find anything else from them that you like.

Electric Boogaloo - You could start with this too. This is probably their "hardest" or most "aggressive" album, but it's FIF, so that's not that aggressive. This is closer to a "punk with horns" or "rock with horns" CD than most of their others.

edit: I just looked at the track listing of all their CDs I have (which is... every single one). I'm not good for this. I honestly think every single one of them is great. Electirc Boogaloo is probably the most "accessible" though.

In highschool, my parents limited a lot of my music purchases to Christian stuff and I'm fortunate that led me to Five Iron Frenzy. For me, the album I loved early was "Our Newest Album Ever" and I'm pretty sure I have the whole thing saved in some dark recesses of my brain.

The End is Near does get some play on Pandora which is nice, but for me, The End is Here live album really did give me some tears as it a great curtain call for one of the most important bands in my life.

For other "Christian Ska" that manages to stand up on its own merit muscially, I like The (OC) Supertones first two albums. However, like a lot of bands on Christian Labels, they changed some of their sound to conform to what was current.

And, best find from my Pandora station is definitely The Barrymores - Think Straight Again

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 5, 2009

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Yes they do. Who are they? Why are they covering my favorite songs?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Lurchington posted:

And, best find from my Pandora station is definitely The Barrymores - Think Straight Again

Always used to have fun seeing these guys, it was a shame when they broke up though

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Z.S. Ghost posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf0JVO0MU8A is also kickass. I love world/inferno

ffuok
Apr 7, 2007

Oh man I'm hungry.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I know a girl who knows these guys, they're part of a group of friends that has a lot of musical collective projects and stuff, I'll dig up some myspaces and put them up here, if it's not too creepy maybe

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I just got back from Reel Big Fish. It was fantastic. We don't get a lot of Ska in Sweden, and I've been missing Reel Big Fish several times over the past 5 years and I finally got to see them. Well worth the wait. One of the most fun shows I've had ever. Pretty much every song I wanted to hear was played except for hungry like the wolf(and S.R. :( ) I'm still rolling off of the joy of that show.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Adinsxyz posted:

I know a girl who knows these guys, they're part of a group of friends that has a lot of musical collective projects and stuff, I'll dig up some myspaces and put them up here, if it's not too creepy maybe

I got the link from ctska.com's BTMI board, so I had no idea.

This would be pretty cool, though.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Anyone who didn't catch the acoustic versions of Dear Sergio, Forty Days, and Somewhere in the Between on AP Radio, I ripped just the songs. Since AP is a free show, would it be ok if I uploaded them and put the link up?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
BTMI is having a record release party this Friday at the John Bosch house in Brooklyn. If you can make it, definitely try, it's a great freaking place to see them.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

mix.lunar posted:

Anyone who didn't catch the acoustic versions of Dear Sergio, Forty Days, and Somewhere in the Between on AP Radio, I ripped just the songs. Since AP is a free show, would it be ok if I uploaded them and put the link up?

If it's allowed, I'd appreciate it. :) Also, if there's a podcast associated, a link to that would be great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Lurchington posted:

If it's allowed, I'd appreciate it. :) Also, if there's a podcast associated, a link to that would be great too.

Uh, I'm not sure what the podcast is, I just listened to it on their website that I forget right now. Here is the link to the download for the acoustic songs. If this is not allowed, just tell me and I'll remove it.