Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Talisman posted:

So if I purchase the upgrade, what happens when I need a clean reinstall?

Do I have to install the RC first then the upgrade?

This is something I'd really like to know. Especially with XP on my laptop. Am I going to have to spend an hour installing XP, then clean install 7 over it every time I need a clean install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Assuming I am reading this correct, for the upgrade to work, you would first need Xp/Vista on the system? I was curious because I am wondering if I could just preorder the $50 copy now and just put the "upgrade" on the next computer I might purchase which does not come with an OS.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm pretty sure that you only need a valid key and/or CD to do an upgrade install. I'm not up on the mechanics of it, since I only do clean wipes, myself, but that's what I believe I saw about Vista, at least.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm pretty sure that you only need a valid key and/or CD to do an upgrade install. I'm not up on the mechanics of it, since I only do clean wipes, myself, but that's what I believe I saw about Vista, at least.

If that's the case then I can deal with that.

Just put my order in for the Upgrade, 50 bucks is something I can get behind.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

thedavid posted:

The documentation states that you can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64 bit, you'll have to do a clean install if you want to do that. The verbage suggests that they're both on the same disc.

I got this from the WinSuperSite:

quote:

The second most common questions regards "upgrading" from Windows Vista or XP (32-bit) to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. (You cannot do an in-place upgrade between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.)

Yes, it's possible. The key is to purchase the Windows 7 Upgrade version electronically (preferably through the presale and directly from Microsoft). If you do so, you're given the choice to download the x64 bits. So if you qualify for a Windows 7 upgrade--i.e. you own Windows XP or Vista--you can buy the Windows 7 Upgrade version of your choice, download the x64 version, burn it to disc, and do a clean install. (Per the previous question.)

So if you want the x64, you have to download it through MS's website? He does not state whether or not it comes on the same disk or not.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

deltawing posted:

If that's the case then I can deal with that.

Just put my order in for the Upgrade, 50 bucks is something I can get behind.

Same here. Pulled the trigger. It's nice, however, having the RC to mess around with until then.

BizzyLimpkits
May 20, 2001

Who's that coming down the track...
I would hope the answer to this is yes, but if I have a copy of vista ultimate can I 'downgrade' to the win7 pro upgrade without any trouble?

Also, assuming that works, the only I would be missing is bitlocker and multi-language support correct?

namelesstwo
May 7, 2007
the uber joker

LooseChanj posted:

The original was 13 floppies, or a CD. The Cd had a bunch of stuff you didn't get if you used the floppies.

you're forgetting the extra floppy they wanted you to make for the boot disk... ah memories

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Kodo posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned and I apologize if it has, but current windows 7 RC users are eligible for the upgrade prices:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/home?os=win7

I'm a little confused by this... does this mean that if I do not have Windows XP or Vista, but am running Windows 7 RC I'm eligible for an upgrade box?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

AlexDeGruven posted:

Incorrect. From the second post of the Windows and Windows Software Megathread

univbee posted:

Q: So there are these cheaper Upgrade and OEM versions. How do those work?

A:
The Upgrade editions of Vista legally require you to own some prior version of Windows no earlier than Windows 2000 (those of you still on 3.1/95/98/ME need a full version). Note that unlike previous upgrade editions of Windows, which could be installed "clean" by simply popping in a previous Windows install disc when asked, Vista can only install with an upgrade key by launching setup from within an existing Windows install (i.e. NOT by booting from the CD). Also, doing this will invalidate the product key for the Windows XP installation it's launched from so it can no longer be activated, and the EULA forbids "dual-booting" with the previous license, since the upgrade "overwrites" the old license.

There is a workaround to this, though, which involves first installing Windows Vista without a product key (select the edition you purchased when prompted) and then running the upgrade installation from within this first "fresh" Vista install and entering your product key this second time (note: it may also be possible to enter the upgrade key later, although specifics are unclear), and then deleting the "Windows.old" folder in your root directory. While this technically allows you to install without owning a prior version of Windows, this is a violation of Microsoft's EULA. This method is for those of you upgrading and who own a qualifying prior version of Windows only.

(Italics mine). In short, to install and register an upgrade version of Vista (and likely 7) you must have a working Windows OS in the machine. In the case of Vista, that OS must either be 2000, XP, or Vista, and in the case of 7 it must be XP, Vista, or 7.

I do not believe information regarding upgrading directly from the RC has been published, but if someone has a link I'll be sure to pay attention. Edit: Kodo's link is vague at best and only has one marketing line about "returning the favor." I would not make any purchases under the assumption that you can use an install of the RC as a legitimate upgrade OS.

Realistically, though, anyone who is using the RC should already have a license for Vista or XP, and upgrading directly from the RC is merely a matter of convenience.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 26, 2009

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Good rundown of features in each version of Win7: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1031

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Solvency posted:

I'm a little confused by this... does this mean that if I do not have Windows XP or Vista, but am running Windows 7 RC I'm eligible for an upgrade box?

I was wondering about that too. I'm pretty tempted to preorder, but I want to be absolutely sure it'll actually run before I do.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
If I have Windows Vista Ultimate OEM, can I install the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade? The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor says "You can do an in-place upgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. If you choose to upgrade to a different edition you will need to perform a clean installation."

Basically: does the Windows 7 Pro upgrade allow you to "downgrade" from Windows Vista Ultimate OEM?

Now that I think of it, will the Microsoft Store allow me to re-download the Windows 7 ISO if I lose the image?

vvv Also this question vvv

compuserved fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 26, 2009

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

thedavid posted:

The documentation states that you can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64 bit, you'll have to do a clean install if you want to do that. The verbage suggests that they're both on the same disc.

If I'm willing to bite the bullet on a clean install, am I able to use the upgrade media to install x64 on a computer that presently has a license for 32-bit XP?

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

PFC.Spengler posted:

If I'm willing to bite the bullet on a clean install, am I able to use the upgrade media to install x64 on a computer that presently has a license for 32-bit XP?

From what I read on the microsoft sites last night (they really need to coalesce this info all in one spot, really. It's difficult getting bits of info from here and there) the upgrade discs are designed for vista->windows 7 upgrade paths. XP will need to be installed from scratch anyway, from the sounds of it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

thedavid posted:

From what I read on the microsoft sites last night (they really need to coalesce this info all in one spot, really. It's difficult getting bits of info from here and there) the upgrade discs are designed for vista->windows 7 upgrade paths. XP will need to be installed from scratch anyway, from the sounds of it.

Yeah. On one of the pages it says that XP users can buy and use an upgrade disc, but it will have to be a clean install.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yeah. On one of the pages it says that XP users can buy and use an upgrade disc, but it will have to be a clean install.

Any ideas on how this will work? Ive got Vista Business x64 running, but I would prefer to do a clean install anyway. Will I just have to enter both my Vista key and my Win7 upgrade key during the install?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm wanting to get in on this pre-order deal, but I'm not sure if it can work for me.

All copies of XP I have are academic serial keys, from college. My Vista Business serial is from that "watch some videos, get Vista" deals. I'd be worried if it would count any of these as legitimate upgrade media.

And it says that as a Win 7 beta/RC tester I'm eligible, but I'm not sure how all of that is going to work since I'll want to do a clean install. However, my serial number is one of the unique ones, before they started handing them out differently during the initial beta phase.

Does anyone know what I should do? And if you really have to have a previous copy installed before it counts for the upgrade to install, instead of just reading media or older license keys, I don't know if I want to buy an upgrade in the first place. That's too much hassle.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Dyscrasia posted:

Any ideas on how this will work? Ive got Vista Business x64 running, but I would prefer to do a clean install anyway. Will I just have to enter both my Vista key and my Win7 upgrade key during the install?

You boot from the disc, it will find your Vista install, and install 7 to that partition. Everything (and I mean everything) from the Vista install will be put into a single folder called Windows.old, which you can then pull your documents from and then delete. You will only need to enter your Win7 key in during the installation.

Edit: ^^^^^^ I believe that any installation of Vista or XP will do - that was the case with Vista. Hell, although it was a TOS violation, you could use an unactivated install of Vista as the "host" OS from which to upgrade - to the exact same version of Vista. Microsoft has not, to my knowledge, released precise details like this and probably won't - you'll have to find out at release when people start trying things.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 26, 2009

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

-Dethstryk- posted:

I'm wanting to get in on this pre-order deal, but I'm not sure if it can work for me.

All copies of XP I have are academic serial keys, from college. My Vista Business serial is from that "watch some videos, get Vista" deals. I'd be worried if it would count any of these as legitimate upgrade media.

And it says that as a Win 7 beta/RC tester I'm eligible, but I'm not sure how all of that is going to work since I'll want to do a clean install. However, my serial number is one of the unique ones, before they started handing them out differently during the initial beta phase.

Does anyone know what I should do? And if you really have to have a previous copy installed before it counts for the upgrade to install, instead of just reading media or older license keys, I don't know if I want to buy an upgrade in the first place. That's too much hassle.

Yeah I have the same problem. My Windows XP/Vista CD-Keys are MSDNAA keys and I'm unsure on the eligibility...

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

-Dethstryk- posted:

Are those Academic licenses or MSDNAA licenses like SynVisions? If there the former I *think* you'll be okay (but I'm far from an MS licensing guru so don't quote me on that); if the latter I'm not sure (see below).

SynVisions posted:

Yeah I have the same problem. My Windows XP/Vista CD-Keys are MSDNAA keys and I'm unsure on the eligibility...

Are you still in school and in a department that participates in MSDNAA? I dunno if they've changed the rules since, but when I graduated in '04 there were two big restrictions on MSDNAA keys/media:

1) You are only licensed to install the products while you're enrolled in a department participating in the MSDNAA program. You can keep using them after that (i.e., starting in CS, installing a bunch of MSDNAA crap, then changing majors to History is kosher), but you're not allowed to reinstall. The keys still work fine after that, but you're not licensed to reinstall the software.

2) You are only licensed to use the software for non-commercial use.

Now, I have no idea how (if at all) that first restriction relates to upgrades. I don't know if buried in the fine print somewhere there's a blanket ban on using MSDNAA keys to upgrade to the various retail license types, or if it's kosher as long as you follow all the other rules.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Reading this page has been confusing for me. I have Vista OEM, and I bought the Upgrade. What will happen if I wish to reformat in the future? Do I just put the upgrade disc in and then reinstall from that or is it something more complicated?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Ryuga Death posted:

Reading this page has been confusing for me. I have Vista OEM, and I bought the Upgrade. What will happen if I wish to reformat in the future? Do I just put the upgrade disc in and then reinstall from that or is it something more complicated?

If this were Vista (or XP, 2000, 98, 95...), yes, that would work. It is by far the most likely scenario that it will also work for 7, but no one really knows for sure. Until MS makes announcements on these things, we can't know for sure.

That aside, given that 95% of OS installs are via OEM, I cannot imagine that MS would make upgrades of OEM installs impossible, simply because that would kill the market. The idea of an upgrade install implies that you already had a license for Windows on a given computer in some form, and you are merely upgrading that license to a new version of Windows.

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...
So is there any documentation that Windows 7 RC will work for the Upgrade version? Other than a questionable mention in a video on the windows team blog site, I can't find any reference to it.

I built a new machine a few months ago and have been running the beta/rc since waiting for W7 to come out, so I don't have any other upgradable OS's lying around to use.

I'd love to take advantage of the pre-order.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

chizad posted:

Are you still in school and in a department that participates in MSDNAA? I dunno if they've changed the rules since, but when I graduated in '04 there were two big restrictions on MSDNAA keys/media:

1) You are only licensed to install the products while you're enrolled in a department participating in the MSDNAA program. You can keep using them after that (i.e., starting in CS, installing a bunch of MSDNAA crap, then changing majors to History is kosher), but you're not allowed to reinstall. The keys still work fine after that, but you're not licensed to reinstall the software.

2) You are only licensed to use the software for non-commercial use.

Now, I have no idea how (if at all) that first restriction relates to upgrades. I don't know if buried in the fine print somewhere there's a blanket ban on using MSDNAA keys to upgrade to the various retail license types, or if it's kosher as long as you follow all the other rules.

Yeah, I knew the things you have in your post already... I'm trying to figure out how it works with the upgrade edition :)

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

cadmium posted:

So is there any documentation that Windows 7 RC will work for the Upgrade version? Other than a questionable mention in a video on the windows team blog site, I can't find any reference to it.
None that I have seen here or on the major tech blogs. Or on either of MS's blogs about Windows 7.

quote:

I built a new machine a few months ago and have been running the beta/rc since waiting for W7 to come out, so I don't have any other upgradable OS's lying around to use.

I'd love to take advantage of the pre-order.

If you truly have no install media (seriously not even the old XP install from your previous machine?) its a gamble. It's possible that the RC will be an allowed upgrade path, although somewhat unlikely. It's a little more likely that you can do the unregistered 7 -> "legit" 7 "upgrade", although this is a violation of the TOS. There are no guarantees for you on this.

Unfortunately, you're not really the intended target of this discount (since you will be buying 7 no matter what), so MS really has no incentive to make it clear to you.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
If I knew for sure the Home Premium Upgrade for Windows 7 worked with the RC of Windows 7, that would be awesome, but I guess you would be screwed then if you ever wanted to reformat.

I've fallen for Windows 7 so much, that I sold all of my old copies of Windows (XP Home, Vista Business, and Vista Ultimate respectively), and am just running the RC on my PC here. Worst comes to worst, an OEM Home Premium x64 DVD of Windows 7 from NewEgg can't be that much.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If anyone is still having issues with Geforce 9M cards (specifically the 9800m gs) and getting the black screen of death do this in safe mode:

1) run msconfig.exe

2) click Start up tab

3) uncheck NVIDIA compatible windows 7 display driver

4) click apply

5) yell at NVIDIA for being dumb as hell

delutz
Jun 6, 2005

Sorry if this has been asked before: Is there a way to disable combining windows on the taskbar, but still hide labels?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

imnotzig posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before: Is there a way to disable combining windows on the taskbar, but still hide labels?

If have the taskbar on the side of the screen (instead of the top or bottom) and have combine turned off, it will use the icons but not the text labels.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
I tried to google for this but I couldn't find an answer. Is there anyway to stop gadgets from 'snapping' to the edge of the screen? The two that I use don't snap the same distance from the edge and it is bothering me.

Greenfield fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 27, 2009

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
What are some other ways of freeing up disk space? I've already uninstalled useless windows features (like games) and turned off backup/restore.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ziir posted:

What are some other ways of freeing up disk space? I've already uninstalled useless windows features (like games) and turned off backup/restore.

Uninstall your programs? Delete your music/videos?

Buy a 0.5 terabyte hard drive for $80 http://www.google.com/product_url?q...AAA&gl=us&hl=en ?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

SecretFire posted:

If have the taskbar on the side of the screen (instead of the top or bottom) and have combine turned off, it will use the icons but not the text labels.

Wow, thanks!

However it's still stupid. Now that I have the taskbar at the shortest side of my screen, it's going to fill up faster. I just can't understand why Microsoft won't allow us to hide labels and not combine, when in the regular view. The functionality is already there!

Edit: Whoa, this works!
Set the drop-down to one of the other combination options, whichever you prefer. Then follow this tutorial.
Create a string key in HKCU\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\, call it MinWidth, set it to 56. Log out, in again, and it's all good. However, buttons belonging to the same program are still grouped, but it beats having the taskbar at the side.

NFX fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 27, 2009

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 14, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Mensur posted:

So far as I'm aware, turning off features is just that, it's not removing them and frees up zero disk space.

Restore sets aside space on the hard drive, I believe turning it off frees that up. The games can't take up that much space, though... what do you have Ziir, a 20 gig drive or something?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone install Windows 7 on a MacBook/Pro via Boot Camp? I was wondering how the driver support is.

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...

kapinga posted:

If you truly have no install media (seriously not even the old XP install from your previous machine?) its a gamble.

I think at best I have a Dell recovery disk for an old laptop running XP. Anyone know if that would work?

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

cadmium posted:

I think at best I have a Dell recovery disk for an old laptop running XP. Anyone know if that would work?

I just installed the RC on a separate partition on my laptop to play with it. When you boot from the media, it searches out for any windows installations. There seems to be an option to overwrite the old one, or install it into a different partition (what I did) if you use the advanced installation options.

So at worst, you might need to install the recovery disk and do the advanced options in the installer to overwrite everything. There may be an easier way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

cadmium posted:

You may or may not be able to install with that. Some OEMs put special flags in the bios and prevent the disc from installing if it doesn't see them.

I have used a Dell install CD to install to an HP machine before, so ymmv.