Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Where do I find the product key? I downloaded the ISO right from Microsoft's website, so I know it is a genuine copy.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Microsoft's website is where I get the key.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

that one guy posted:

I'm not sure where my CD or anything is for my copy of XP. I did find a program that lets you look at the registration keys for your installed MS products, however. When I upgrade from XP to 7, all I'll really need is the registration key - so this program should be sufficient, right?

It's too early to tell for sure, but Windows Vista required that the OS being upgraded was installed, and earlier upgrade copies of Windows required the media but no key. So it could be different, but since they've never done it historically the odds are against you.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What I'm getting from all of this is that if you have the RC installed currently, you won't just be able to turn that into a legit copy? You'll have to go through some load of bullshit to install vista, then install w7 over that?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What I'm getting from all of this is that if you have the RC installed currently, you won't just be able to turn that into a legit copy? You'll have to go through some load of bullshit to install vista, then install w7 over that?

Uhh, no.

You'll have to wipe it and install Vista if and only if you intend to buy the Upgrade copy instead of a full copy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CitrusFrog posted:

Well, first of all, I went into services.msc and MSConfig and disabled an absolute shitload of superfluous and unnecessary services which were sucking up RAM and CPU time and now things seem to be running considerably better.

CitrusFrog posted:

Well it's not like I need the Bluetooth Support Service, Media Center Receiver, Windows Presentation Foundation, Quality Windows Audio Video Experience, the Remote Access poo poo, Telephony, Windows Error Reporting, Parental Controls or Smart Card support now, is it? :v:

These don't make sense. None of those should be running or using CPU time unless specifically inbvoked by other applications (except WPF which is vial for any .NET apps). Turning off Error Reporting is completely retarded in an unfinished OS and will never run and use up more than a few k in resources unless a program crashes.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Casao posted:

Uhh, no.

You'll have to wipe it and install Vista if and only if you intend to buy the Upgrade copy instead of a full copy.

Well the upgrade is going to be like $50 and the full copy is going to be somewhere closer to $100 or more, right? I have a legit copy of vista, so it feels pointless not to just buy the upgrade. It will just be a pain in the rear end, I guess.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Well the upgrade is going to be like $50 and the full copy is going to be somewhere closer to $100 or more, right? I have a legit copy of vista, so it feels pointless not to just buy the upgrade. It will just be a pain in the rear end, I guess.

The upgrade is currently 50+% off, at $50 for Home Premium upgrade and $100 for Pro upgrade. These will be ~$115 and $200 respectively for full price of the upgrade when the pre-order sale ends.

The full versions will be $200 and $300 for Home Premium and Pro respectively.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

univbee posted:

It's too early to tell for sure, but Windows Vista required that the OS being upgraded was installed, and earlier upgrade copies of Windows required the media but no key. So it could be different, but since they've never done it historically the odds are against you.
I still have XP installed and I use it. So based on what you've written here I should be okay, correct?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

that one guy posted:

I still have XP installed and I use it. So based on what you've written here I should be okay, correct?

Yes.

Edit: \/\/\/\/Not all colleges do MSDNAA, and not all colleges doing MSDNAA supply it to all students. My own (large, state engineering) school only provided access to MSDNAA for those students taking courses in the Comp. Sci. and Electrical Engineering departments. As a ChemE, that was fairly frustrating :(

kapinga fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 8, 2009

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Ignited posted:

I'm still a poor college student but feel the need to put a legit version of win7 on my computers

google [your college] msdnaa (or use the MSDN Academic Alliance School Member Search- follow the instructions given you and enjoy a lot of Microsoft products they actually want you to have for free.

CitrusFrog posted:

Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB with the Vista/Win7 168.18 drivers
Audio: SoundMAX HD Audio onboard (R105155 drivers)
OS HDD: Seagate Barracuda - ST3808110AS - 80GB NTFS
Secondary HDD: Maxtor MaXline Pro - 7H500F0 - 500GB NTFS

Also might I add it was a total oval office to install because I had to both physically unplug my 500GB hard drive AND load NForce SATA/RAID drivers (that were a pain in the rear end to find) off a USB drive so it would even install onto the 80GB.

I can't believe Windows 7 wouldn't recognize the SATA controller for your old ASUS mainboard... something definitely went wrong there.
... and since everybody already took a dump on your system without saying anything about the really old system HDD - consider it done.
That Windows Experience Index thingy might be useful to determine the worst bottle-necks in your system.

I'm using an "older" NVIDIA card as well and going back to the 182.50 drivers fixed a lot of stuff for me (at least in ARMA2)
SoundMAX drivers suck and are hit or miss - I'm using something called AD200B_6570_Win7 don't know if that works for your chip, though and I hope I'll never have to look for drivers on ASUS' site again (try the mainboard-specific forum - it's better than their official page).

Warthog fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 8, 2009

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Quick question about what's the best place to buy the upgrade from. I'm currently considering between Amazon, Newegg, and Microsoft itself.

I'm seeing that Amazon and Newegg are offering the physical disks. Is Microsoft only doing downloads? Also, does MS charge tax if you buy from them? Does anyone have a recommendation on which place would be the best to purchase from? Thanks.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

kapinga posted:

The upgrade is currently 50+% off, at $50 for Home Premium upgrade and $100 for Pro upgrade. These will be ~$115 and $200 respectively for full price of the upgrade when the pre-order sale ends.

The full versions will be $200 and $300 for Home Premium and Pro respectively.

Any idea how much longer the preorder price is for?

edit: when you preorder, do you have to pay the full $50? Can I just put like $5 down and pay it off when it comes out?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

when you preorder, do you have to pay the full $50? Can I just put like $5 down and pay it off when it comes out?
Read your post again. Think about how little sense it makes.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

nimper posted:

Read your post again. Think about how little sense it makes.

You can preorder games at gamestop and only put $5 down, and pay it off when it comes out, so I don't see how this is such a stretch.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

iamsosmrt posted:

Quick question about what's the best place to buy the upgrade from. I'm currently considering between Amazon, Newegg, and Microsoft itself.

I'm seeing that Amazon and Newegg are offering the physical disks. Is Microsoft only doing downloads? Also, does MS charge tax if you buy from them? Does anyone have a recommendation on which place would be the best to purchase from? Thanks.

MS has options for download only, media only, or both with a small fee.

Any idea how much longer the preorder price is for?

edit: when you preorder, do you have to pay the full $50? Can I just put like $5 down and pay it off when it comes out?

The preorder price is for a short time, not sure exactly how long. The MS Store will not charge your credit card until the product actually goes out. I don't know about the others.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Amazon doesn't charge until it ships out either, as far as I know.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
RC1 x64 has been buggy as hell since I installed it.

I waited until the last day to install RC1 as Beta was expiring. The Beta was running perfectly.

Now my mute button lights up at all times unless a flash video is on screen and will not turn off otherwise. Sounds still play. Every few minutes, the mute button will turn off and an error ding will sound through the speakers.

Also, flash is straight-up wacky now: the only browser that lets me interact with flash related stuff outside of simple mouseclicks is IE8. Not only that, flash tends to lock up the browser for 2-3 seconds like Java loves to do on low-end machines.

What the hell? Why is RC1 somehow more buggy than the beta?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Matlock posted:

I waited until the last day to install RC1 as Beta was expiring. The Beta was running perfectly.

Now my mute button lights up at all times unless a flash video is on screen and will not turn off otherwise. Sounds still play. Every few minutes, the mute button will turn off and an error ding will sound through the speakers.

Also, flash is straight-up wacky now: the only browser that lets me interact with flash related stuff outside of simple mouseclicks is IE8. Not only that, flash tends to lock up the browser for 2-3 seconds like Java loves to do on low-end machines.

I actually run RC1 64. It works great. I'm not sure what your process is or if there are simply crummy drivers for your current hardware, but my only bad experience with 7 is that Bluetooth on my E6500 is essentially non-functional. I'm fairly sure it's just drivers, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Matlock posted:

Have you tried upgrading to any post 7100 builds?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Re: Unruly - I think the relevant point is that the drivers worked properly with the beta. I'm confused as to why (I'm guessing sound?) drivers would magically stop working between builds.

Re: fishmech - I have not, as I'm not too keen on :filez:ing an operating system, even one that's pre-release. Doubly so because several 7 prerelease torrents out there had botnet/trojan infections.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Matlock posted:

Re: Unruly - I think the relevant point is that the drivers worked properly with the beta. I'm confused as to why (I'm guessing sound?) drivers would magically stop working between builds.
I wouldn't be able to guess, but a lot of driver work has been going on for 7. Speaking from my own experiences, the Dell driver page for my E6500 has been updated fairly recently with new 64-bit drivers that work swimmingly for 7 (except the aforementioned Bluetooth drivers...).

Anyway, it can't hurt to hunt down new drivers to see if they don't clear things up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Matlock posted:

Re: fishmech - I have not, as I'm not too keen on :filez:ing an operating system, even one that's pre-release. Doubly so because several 7 prerelease torrents out there had botnet/trojan infections.

Any well seeded torrent will be clean of Windows 7, and the 72xx builds fix a LOT of problems from the RC. IT's really not filez.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

Any well seeded torrent will be clean of Windows 7, and the 72xx builds fix a LOT of problems from the RC. IT's really not filez.

Which problems are solved ?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spatule posted:

Which problems are solved ?

On my computer, a ton of crashing issues were solved, I was able to install the Zune software and Microsoft Office which were refusing to install on 7100 on this computer for some reason, and the UI's been tweaked a bit, it seems to be a little more polished. Currently I run 7227.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

On my computer, a ton of crashing issues were solved, I was able to install the Zune software and Microsoft Office which were refusing to install on 7100 on this computer for some reason, and the UI's been tweaked a bit, it seems to be a little more polished. Currently I run 7227.

Are the 72xx builds still "RC" style, in that they have the extended lifetime until June 2010 or whatever it is?

I've been having problems with my laptop blue screening on shut down, hibernate and sleep. I've searched around on the windows7 forums and I've seen others with this problem but never saw a solution, do you think upgrading to a 72xx build will fix this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

Are the 72xx builds still "RC" style, in that they have the extended lifetime until June 2010 or whatever it is?

I've been having problems with my laptop blue screening on shut down, hibernate and sleep. I've searched around on the windows7 forums and I've seen others with this problem but never saw a solution, do you think upgrading to a 72xx build will fix this?

The 72xx builds all take the RC keys and expire at the same time as the RC.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

kapinga posted:

MS has options for download only, media only, or both with a small fee.

The preorder price is for a short time, not sure exactly how long. The MS Store will not charge your credit card until the product actually goes out. I don't know about the others.

Hmm. Do we know exactly when it's supposed to go out? I don't really have $50 for it at this very moment, but in a month or two I should, and I really want to lock in the price

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

Hmm. Do we know exactly when it's supposed to go out? I don't really have $50 for it at this very moment, but in a month or two I should, and I really want to lock in the price

It ships October 22nd. The preorder prices will only last until July 11th or when stores "sell out" of their preorders.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I have a question that might have been answered from back when Vista first came out, but since I skipped that and went to win 7 from XP..

I noticed that aero forces vsync to on for the accelerated desktop stuff. This however seems to extend to games played in windowed, even though I have vsync set to 'force off' in the nvidia control panel.

The only way Ive found to disable the desktop vsync is to uncheck, 'use desktop composition' but that also disables glass and maybe some other aero peformance enhancements I'm unaware of.

My question is can you disable the aero vsync, but keep glass and all the fancy effects? It's not a big deal to uncheck that setting in performance options, but I'd rather have to cut that step out if it can just be disabled another way.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'd really love it if they could add this feature: when I have one window maximized vertically on the left and one on the right, the middle window resize borders should fuse or something. Is there a place for suggesting stuff ?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Spatule posted:

I'd really love it if they could add this feature: when I have one window maximized vertically on the left and one on the right, the middle window resize borders should fuse or something. Is there a place for suggesting stuff ?

Yeah, it was the first beta. You're kinda outta luck.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Windows 7 Pre-Order Promotional Pricing is a limited time offer good only on internet pre-orders of qualifying upgrade versions of Windows 7 (Home Premium Upgrade or Professional Upgrade) within the 50 US or DC.

:(

Full, inflated price for Non-US citizens is the only way to go.

Edit: Curse your avatar, Unexpected EOF. If only that file loaded just that little bit longer! :argh:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 8, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Black Pants posted:

:(

Full, inflated price for Non-US citizens is the only way to go.

Edit: Curse your avatar, Unexpected EOF. If only that file loaded just that little bit longer! :argh:

I'm tempted to order it to a friend's address as the download and just download it here in Australia. I really don't want to miss out on a 50% discount simply because a digital download is artificially region-based.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

I'm tempted to order it to a friend's address as the download and just download it here in Australia. I really don't want to miss out on a 50% discount simply because a digital download is artificially region-based.

Well yes I thought that, but then I thought that if I had to put in my Visa details I'd have to put my real address, or that something might show that it's being purchased from Australia. On a more paranoid note, it could trigger some kind of fraud investigation on whoever I'm getting it sent to.

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
We pre-ordered Windows 7 from Newegg, then noticed the credit card will expire between now and the release date.

Does anyone know if Newegg will send an e-mail asking for a new credit card later on, or how that normally works?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fishmasher posted:

We pre-ordered Windows 7 from Newegg, then noticed the credit card will expire between now and the release date.

Does anyone know if Newegg will send an e-mail asking for a new credit card later on, or how that normally works?

They will charge it to your card in October, so if it's expired then, that might be a problem. I imagine if you called them with the updated CC info, they could put that in.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
When creating a new connection in Windows 7, does anyone know how to do what in XP was called:
"Set up an advanced connection -> Accept incoming connections"?

I can't find it anywhere in 7, and I never used Vista.

jjay
Jun 7, 2004
When in doubt, try harder
I have a weird issue where my screen will get all light colored and just really crappy quality - blurry. I'm not sure if it is Windows, Nvidia, the HDMI cable, my monitor or what. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

This usually happens coming out of full screen from media center, but sometimes after a reboot.

I can turn off my tv (Sony Bravia - 52" LCD - KDL-52W4100) and turn it back on then the problem is fixed. Sometimes I can go full screen and back out again and that will fix it.

I have HDMI connection - Windows 7100 - I have the latst Nvidia drivers 186.. - I have tried a different HDMI cable also

Here is the rest of the build.

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
A-DATA 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Anyone else have this problem - or perhaps point me in the right direction?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

jjay posted:

I have a weird issue where my screen will get all light colored and just really crappy quality - blurry. I'm not sure if it is Windows, Nvidia, the HDMI cable, my monitor or what. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

This usually happens coming out of full screen from media center, but sometimes after a reboot.

I can turn off my tv (Sony Bravia - 52" LCD - KDL-52W4100) and turn it back on then the problem is fixed. Sometimes I can go full screen and back out again and that will fix it.

I have HDMI connection - Windows 7100 - I have the latst Nvidia drivers 186.. - I have tried a different HDMI cable also

Here is the rest of the build.

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
A-DATA 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Anyone else have this problem - or perhaps point me in the right direction?

Are you using Stardock Fences ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Unexpected EOF posted:

Yeah, it was the first beta. You're kinda outta luck.

Well that sucks. Any reason it got removed ?