Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gg
Jul 3, 2003

Pew Pew
Is there an easy way to revert back to Vista after installing 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

gg posted:

Is there an easy way to revert back to Vista after installing 7?

Use the backup image you no doubt took of Vista before installing a beta OS?

Other than that, not really, you could try booting the Vista disc to see if it'll let you do an "Upgrade" to Vista. But I wouldn't count on it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I installed Windows 7 on my old-rear end HP Pavilion zv5000. The OS is running pretty smoothly, but the only problem I'm having is that it won't recognize my Graphics Card (Geforce 440 MX GO) or my laptop's display (selects it as a generic PnP monitor). I looked for drivers but they're all for XP so they won't even install.

The driver itself isn't a problem, but it's forcing me to use a 1024x768 resolution which looks awful.

Anyone know of any workarounds?

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
Is there some way to mitigate the headache that will surely ensue from doing a clean install from Vista x86 to Windows 7 x64? I have like 150 programs installed in my C:\Program Files folder, and I daresay it will suck to spend the next few weeks installing them over again. If there's a quicker way of recovering from a clean install, then that would be bully, by jingo!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I installed Windows 7 on my old-rear end HP Pavilion zv5000. The OS is running pretty smoothly, but the only problem I'm having is that it won't recognize my Graphics Card (Geforce 440 MX GO) or my laptop's display (selects it as a generic PnP monitor). I looked for drivers but they're all for XP so they won't even install.

The driver itself isn't a problem, but it's forcing me to use a 1024x768 resolution which looks awful.

This guy found a driver to work for vista 32-bit, might work for 7 as well: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/331431.html

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Check here. Basically, the drivers generally support back to GeForce 3 without issue, but the INF has been created to only allow certain series, and it usually doesn't include mobile GPUs. You might have to go back, but pick up the Vista drivers (same as Win7 drivers generally) that list GeForce 4 support on that site. I can't promise you'll find anything (Vista drivers were a complete rewrite so they might have never supported GF4), but it's a good place to start.

The laptop's display shouldn't matter, since usually it's just a color profile or something, but you can try searching for Vista drivers for it - vista's been out longer so maybe someone ran into the issue before.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 14, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Is there some way to mitigate the headache that will surely ensue from doing a clean install from Vista x86 to Windows 7 x64? I have like 150 programs installed in my C:\Program Files folder, and I daresay it will suck to spend the next few weeks installing them over again. If there's a quicker way of recovering from a clean install, then that would be bully, by jingo!

If you have a big external drive, you can use the Windows Easy Transfer utility to get most of the settings or do manual backups your C:\users\Username\* folder but really the best thing is to suck it up and do it from scratch. It took me 5 minutes to make an Excel sheet of programs I use a lot that needed to be reinstalled. It's also great getting rid of all of the poo poo you installed that one time to convert a movie or blah blah blah. It goes much faster than you think and you will appreciate the speed/space of the system afterwards.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Is anyone with Realtek HD Audio experiencing a lot of audio popping/clicking? It's been happening for me for months now, and every time Realtek releases a new driver, I install it only to be disappointed that the popping it still there.

It happens mostly while I'm watching videos (I use the CCCP with MPC-HC), but it also occurs while listening to music (I use FB2K). I did some Google searches and I'm obviously not the only one with this problem, but so far I've not found a fix for it.

I'm running build 7100.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My drat internet connection just dies every so often. I don't know whether it's Win7, or nVidia's fault.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My drat internet connection just dies every so often. I don't know whether it's Win7, or nVidia's fault.

I had my wireless drop out whenever I downloaded something in one of the previous builds, I ended up force installing drivers for a similar device that worked... maybe see if you can track down something similar.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there any way to use a network share (not a Windows machine, so non-indexable) as a path in a library?

Latin Hobbit
Jan 29, 2009

crumshot posted:

Is there any way to use a network share (not a Windows machine, so non-indexable) as a path in a library?

During the beta I was playing around in Windows 7 trying to figure out a way to do just that, and ended up finding one (and I can confirm that it works in the RTM as well). You need to go into Windows Media Player, right click on the library you want to add the network share to, select "Manage Library" and then just click the add button to add the folder on the network share that you want. I will warn though that while this works it did sometimes result in substantial slow down when opening the library, but otherwise it works prefectly fine

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Is there some sort of well-known stability problem with 7 64-bit and Office 2007? Both on 7100 and 7600 now, Word and Excel like to crash
  • When I open them
  • When I click on anything in the app
  • When I save a document
  • When I close the app
Office 2007 is updated to SP2, completely fresh install, no addins... can't see what I could be doing wrong here.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mierdaan posted:

Is there some sort of well-known stability problem with 7 64-bit and Office 2007? Both on 7100 and 7600 now, Word and Excel like to crash
  • When I open them
  • When I save a document
  • When I close the app
Office 2007 is updated to SP2, completely fresh install, no addins... can't see what I could be doing wrong here.

Been using office apps since I first loaded it up with no issue. Running Ultimate x64.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Mierdaan posted:

• When I open them
  • When I save a document
  • When I close the app
I've not had any problems with my 7 64-bit install (6100) and Office 2007. Do you have them installed on a separate/external drive?

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This is happening to me too, and I also have an NFORCE board. EVGA 680i with the latest NFORCE drivers from NVIDIA's website, to be exact. I've been using a USB WiFi adapter for the time being, but that's not exactly a great solution.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

toxick posted:

Is anyone with Realtek HD Audio experiencing a lot of audio popping/clicking? It's been happening for me for months now, and every time Realtek releases a new driver, I install it only to be disappointed that the popping it still there.

It happens mostly while I'm watching videos (I use the CCCP with MPC-HC), but it also occurs while listening to music (I use FB2K). I did some Google searches and I'm obviously not the only one with this problem, but so far I've not found a fix for it.

I'm running build 7100.

Yeah the realtek drivers haven't been working very well for me either. They seemed fine in the build 7000 beta but when I went to build 7100 suddenly issues started cropping up. Using the built in drivers I don't get popping or stuttering but my microphone sends a constant high pitched tone if I use it for anything. The Realtek drivers that were available when the RC came out had the same problem. Lately though the Realtek drivers seem to have fixed the microphone issue but at the expense of lots of audio stutters etc.

I ended up just going back to the default windows drivers and using a USB microphone for skype/other voice apps.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

toxick posted:

I'm running build 7100.

I've experienced this a lot.

In the past, I swore I fixed it after each update if I changed the sound output from "DVD Quality" (48KHz) to "CD Quality" (44 KHz).

That hasn't worked in a while.

How do you install the drivers?

I usually just manually tell Windows to update the drivers and point it to the INF file.
However, this most recent time I actually ran the SETUP.EXE file and let it do its thing.
I swear I haven't had the audio pops since then.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

osigas posted:

I've not had any problems with my 7 64-bit install (6100) and Office 2007. Do you have them installed on a separate/external drive?

Nope, same drive.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I've noticed something weird which appears to be linked to gadgets - when I was using the RC (7100), I added the media center gadget to see what it was like, and promptly forgot about it. After a while I noticed weirdness with alt-tab - when I released alt, to switch to the selected application, it would do nothing. I'd have to mess around alt-tabbing around for a bit until I was able to select the app I wanted. Clicking the window with the mouse would also not really work well.
This weekend I installed RTM, and added the Outlook tasks and upcoming appointments gadgets, and noticed the same thing started today. Turning off the gadgets fixes things.

Anyone else notice the same thing, or maybe have a workaround/fix?

pbow9
May 24, 2001
Windows 7 Professional is now showing on MSDNAA.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

This guy found a driver to work for vista 32-bit, might work for 7 as well: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/8829/331431.html

Thank you!

Another question: For a while now, on my main computer which has an 8800 GTS, whenever I play graphics intensive games (Fallout 3, Prototype), the game will get minimized (but won't actually crash) and I'll get a message saying "NVIDIA Driver #whateverversionnumber has stopped working". After a minute or so, I'll usually be able to tab back into the game (although sometimes it will just crash).

Any ideas?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I'm having a very strange problem on my laptop now...every so often, while typing, my cursor will just shoot to some random spot in the document, usually magically appearing a few columns back or a row or two up or down. What the hell? It never did this in Vista

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

I've experienced this a lot.

In the past, I swore I fixed it after each update if I changed the sound output from "DVD Quality" (48KHz) to "CD Quality" (44 KHz).

That hasn't worked in a while.

How do you install the drivers?

I usually just manually tell Windows to update the drivers and point it to the INF file.
However, this most recent time I actually ran the SETUP.EXE file and let it do its thing.
I swear I haven't had the audio pops since then.

The latest driver (R230) came in a zip with a bunch of files and a setup.exe, so I just used that to install. If I remember correctly, the previous driver I used to update (R227) came in a self-contained EXE.

Anyway, none of these updated drivers have fixed a drat thing. Hell, I think this latest driver is actually worse than the last. A thread on a Windows 7 forum has 25 pages of people complaining about how lovely Realtek's drivers are.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm having a very strange problem on my laptop now...every so often, while typing, my cursor will just shoot to some random spot in the document, usually magically appearing a few columns back or a row or two up or down. What the hell? It never did this in Vista

Do you have a touch pad? If so it might have the tap = click feature enabled.

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh

pbow9 posted:

Windows 7 Professional is now showing on MSDNAA.

I can't see it in UK msdnaa :(

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

dorkanoid posted:

I got sound-looping hard-locks in the RC when my graphics card overheated - I have essentially the same setup as you, and I could only play Tales of Monkey Island for 10 minutes before hardlock :( I think the ATI drivers for Windows 7 sets the fan at a too low speed - you might have to force it in the control panel.

By force it in the control panel, you're talking about the "manual fan speed" slider on the ATI Override panel, right?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thank you!

Another question: For a while now, on my main computer which has an 8800 GTS, whenever I play graphics intensive games (Fallout 3, Prototype), the game will get minimized (but won't actually crash) and I'll get a message saying "NVIDIA Driver #whateverversionnumber has stopped working". After a minute or so, I'll usually be able to tab back into the game (although sometimes it will just crash).

Any ideas?

It's a driver problem. I do love how Vista and 7 deal with driver crashes now. I've had my nVidia driver crash 6-10 times during a game, and it recovers without me having to get out and restart the game all over again.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Do you have a touch pad? If so it might have the tap = click feature enabled.

Yup...where can I disable that feature? Windows just seems to see it as a generic PS/2 mouse. For actual pointing, I use a wireless mouse, but I don't want to disable the pad if I don't have to.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I had nothing but trouble with RealTek drivers so I just let Windows install whatever the hell it thought was best, which was some generic HD audio driver, and I've been happiest with that so far. My only issue is that my microphone volume is extremely low even at max and micboost on, but it was like that WITH the drivers too.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yup...where can I disable that feature? Windows just seems to see it as a generic PS/2 mouse. For actual pointing, I use a wireless mouse, but I don't want to disable the pad if I don't have to.

Install the correct drivers for your touchpad and you should get the option to disable tap to click etc.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Here's your Dumb Question of the Day.

Dual-booting the RC was my first experience with both dual booting and creating partitions outside of the windows install process :downs: and even though it was easy enough, I'm still not entirely sure I know what I'm doing. My drive is set up with a big partition of stuff I don't want to format between windows installs and windows XP on it's own partition, and I created a new partition for 7 when I dual-booted the RC. In my understanding, even though 7 designated its partition as "C", my boot information is in the original XP partition, right?

I'm about to get the final version of 7 off of MSDNAA and I'm wondering what the easiest most painless way of doing this will be, because I also want to reclaim the extra partition I made when I dual-booted.

Is it easiest to:

- Go straight to installing 7 and gently caress with trying to merge the partitions during the install process? (I know it had a partition manager but I don't know how powerful it is)
- Delete the XP partition and merge it before trying to install? (if the boot info is there it makes this more difficult, right?)
- Go straight to installing 7 in the RC partition and try to merge partitions after install?
- Go straight to installing 7 in the XP partition and then merge the RC partition after install?
- Something else that would be much simpler and you're horrified that I think this is so complicated?

I'm currently leaning toward installing in the XP partition and then nuking the RC once I have the full version running... if the boot info is in that partition would it be the route with the least number of potential issues? If I install it in the XP partition which has been re-written to be D, will my new 7 install set itself to be C?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Mierdaan posted:

I have the same problem on a Vista 64 machine with Office 2007. Crashes when opening, clicking, saving, and closing, at seemingly random times. Sometimes I can go a coulpe weeks without a problem. I tried reinstalling Office, updating everything os and software-wise, disabling hardware, and I never could find a cause. I just started doing all my word/excel stuff on my netbook instead. If you fix it drop me a note, I'd love to know.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

El_Ergo posted:

I have the same problem on a Vista 64 machine with Office 2007. Crashes when opening, clicking, saving, and closing, at seemingly random times. Sometimes I can go a coulpe weeks without a problem. I tried reinstalling Office, updating everything os and software-wise, disabling hardware, and I never could find a cause. I just started doing all my word/excel stuff on my netbook instead. If you fix it drop me a note, I'd love to know.

I've also had some odd Office crashes, I'm currently running RTM. Luckily all I really use is oneNote so it's pretty drat hard for me to actually lose any data.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Tagra posted:

- Go straight to installing 7 in the XP partition and then merge the RC partition after install?
Like you were thinking, do this one. Your new install will be the C: drive (if you boot into XP, it'll still be the C: drive as well). After you have everything copied from the RC that you want saved, delete the RC partition and grow the remaining one to fill the space (note: this assumes that the RC partition is immediately after the XP partition on the disk.)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tagra posted:

Here's your Dumb Question of the Day.

Dual-booting the RC was my first experience with both dual booting and creating partitions outside of the windows install process :downs: and even though it was easy enough, I'm still not entirely sure I know what I'm doing. My drive is set up with a big partition of stuff I don't want to format between windows installs and windows XP on it's own partition, and I created a new partition for 7 when I dual-booted the RC. In my understanding, even though 7 designated its partition as "C", my boot information is in the original XP partition, right?

I'm about to get the final version of 7 off of MSDNAA and I'm wondering what the easiest most painless way of doing this will be, because I also want to reclaim the extra partition I made when I dual-booted.

Is it easiest to:

- Go straight to installing 7 and gently caress with trying to merge the partitions during the install process? (I know it had a partition manager but I don't know how powerful it is)
- Delete the XP partition and merge it before trying to install? (if the boot info is there it makes this more difficult, right?)
- Go straight to installing 7 in the RC partition and try to merge partitions after install?
- Something else that would be much simpler and you're horrified that I think this is so complicated?

I'm currently leaning toward installing in the XP partition and then nuking the RC once I have the full version running... if the boot info is in that partition would it be the route with the least number of potential issues? If I install it in the XP partition which has been re-written to be D, will my new 7 install set itself to be C?

I personally would just delete both the XP and RC partitions during RTM setup, create a new partition filling the space of both (as with kapinga, assuming they're contiguous on disk), and install to that new partition. If you intend on destructing both of them anyway that's probably the simplest, in my mind.

Edit: XP will still see its own install as C: even when 7 sees the other one as C:. The boot info is probably on the XP partition but it doesn't really matter, since 7 will just write new boot info when you delete that partition. As long as you aren't keeping XP or the RC, just blow both of them away at once and don't mess with changing/merging partitions after install.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 14, 2009

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Is there a way to allow gadgets to be totally flush with the right-hand side of the screen?

I can't do it because the close/settings/drag controls are on the right of the gadget. When I'm not dragging them around, there's a "column" of dead space on my 10" netbook.

I'd be ok if I could configure those options to be on the left hand side of gadgets.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

Is there a way to allow gadgets to be totally flush with the right-hand side of the screen?

I can't do it because the close/settings/drag controls are on the right of the gadget. When I'm not dragging them around, there's a "column" of dead space on my 10" netbook.

I'd be ok if I could configure those options to be on the left hand side of gadgets.
Hold shift while you move them and they won't snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cheesus posted:

You don't have to use the drag control. Just click-drag the gadget itself.