Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Half the reason most people who hated Vista and DID try it was because anything new or different in the computing world, in Windows especially, is greeted with hatred and scorn. See also the complete and utter shitfits everyone I know had over the Ribbon interface in Office 2007.

:confused: What's the problem? The organization makes a lot more sense than a bunch of random dinky unintuitive buttons
:cry: BAWWWW I KNEW WHERE EVERYTHING WAS IN 2003, THIS loving SUCKS
:confused: But...it makes sense. It's like a drawer full of neatly labelled files to 97-03's shoebox full of junk
:cry: I FEAR CHANGE, AND I SHALL KEEP MY SHOEBOX

I liked Vista alot, to the point where I didn't even complain about buying it for a ridiculous sum, but Win7 really does slap the poo poo out of it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

syphon posted:

I know this program has even been discussed here in this thread, but I wanted to bump it to pimp it again.

Those of you who have used Expose on OSX will want to give Switcher a try (http://insentient.net/ - it says it's for Vista, but works great in Win7 for me). It's written by a MS employee (but not officially endorsed), and it's basically a rip-off of Expose.

I've gotten used to using Expose in OSX, so this thing is awesome. It's surprising how well and seemless it runs with Windows. I bound it to the same hot-corner I use for Expose in OSX, so my habits are the same in either OS. I'd highly recommend you guys give it a try.

EDIT: Multi-monitor support and searching make it that much better. Active it and type 'i-t-u-<enter>' to bring up iTunes, for example.

I know people are fans of this app, but I see no reason to use it in vista and above. On windows 7 I can just type in WinKey then i-t-u and enter to open itunes as well. I know it has some plug-ins and stuff but for launching apps and searching for things the start menu search has you taken care of.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Quick question,

where do I go to change the size of the window borders? I remember making them thinner in Vista but cant find the option in win 7.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Half the reason most people who hated Vista and DID try it was because anything new or different in the computing world, in Windows especially, is greeted with hatred and scorn. See also the complete and utter shitfits everyone I know had over the Ribbon interface in Office 2007.

:confused: What's the problem? The organization makes a lot more sense than a bunch of random dinky unintuitive buttons
:confused: But...it makes sense. It's like a drawer full of neatly labelled files to 97-03's shoebox full of junk

I liked Vista alot, to the point where I didn't even complain about buying it for a ridiculous sum, but Win7 really does slap the poo poo out of it for me.

Yeah, I remember thinking exactly that when I went to office 07. When I wanted to find something, I went to where I thought it would be. and 90% of the time, there it was.

Incidentally though, while Vista did try to be new... it had a hard time with no leg to stand on. Myriad vendors didn't support it properly from the tin, quite a few systems that it'd run on were underpowered, and the new audio interface hosed up a lot of things; but I mean all of these changes carry into 7, the leaner, faster vista.

But just wait until they try to deploy it in the workplace. If somebody forgets to select "classic" for the skin, it's going to be amazing when Pamela in accounting or Roger in sales throws a poo poo FIT because the buttons he used back in 1995 have moved around.

Christ, at least computer users were fewer back in the days of windows 3.1 -> 95. It would have been a migration nightmare.

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

WinKey+type for app and file search (like Mac Spotlight)? Vista.

I didn't even know you could do this in either version.

I feel so naive and vulnerable.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
is there any way to change the font that shows up in some of the dialog boxes/various windows in 7? Its all blurry for me and looks like poo poo:

ie:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

AlmightyGat posted:

is there any way to change the font that shows up in some of the dialog boxes/various windows in 7? Its all blurry for me and looks like poo poo:

ie:

Control Panel -> Cleartype Tuner

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Capnbigboobies posted:

I know people are fans of this app, but I see no reason to use it in vista and above. On windows 7 I can just type in WinKey then i-t-u and enter to open itunes as well. I know it has some plug-ins and stuff but for launching apps and searching for things the start menu search has you taken care of.

It has no relation to launching apps, it's switching like alt-tab.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there a way to have a window always stay on top of what is beneath?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

keyframe posted:

Quick question,

where do I go to change the size of the window borders? I remember making them thinner in Vista but cant find the option in win 7.

Personalize -> Window Color -> "Advanced appearance settings..."

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

See this is what I don't get. I've used pretty much every version of Windows since 3.1 and have generally handled the transition to each new OS pretty well. I liked the Vista interface and I like the Win 7 interface to the point that XP is now mildly irritating when I have to use it.

However I cannot loving stand the ribbon. Nothing makes sense and I have to spend ages hunting and hovering the mouse to get the tooltips since the icons are too indistinct and web-2.0ey pastel shades instead of just telling me what they loving do.

Running Office 2003 on Win7 Pro RTM.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lum posted:

See this is what I don't get. I've used pretty much every version of Windows since 3.1 and have generally handled the transition to each new OS pretty well. I liked the Vista interface and I like the Win 7 interface to the point that XP is now mildly irritating when I have to use it.

However I cannot loving stand the ribbon. Nothing makes sense and I have to spend ages hunting and hovering the mouse to get the tooltips since the icons are too indistinct and web-2.0ey pastel shades instead of just telling me what they loving do.

I refuse to use 2003 anymore because I cannot stand 2003s millions of buttons and places to find things. 2007 is loving awesome since it took me 1 day to get used to where everything was. Best interface EVER.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I have no problem with the ribbon either now, although it did take a while to 'acclimatise' to it. Maybe it's a sign that we're becoming older and turning into the very people we mock.

Oh god... :(

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Xenomorph posted:

Personalize -> Window Color -> "Advanced appearance settings..."

Thank you!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lum posted:

Office 2010 will let you customize the ribbon, and outside of that makes everything clearer. I like the ribbon a TON more now that I can rearrange stuff to be like how I had office 2003 somewhat.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Any idea how to force plain inf/sys drivers to work in Win7 if they worked perfectly in Vista? Manually installing the inf file I get told it doesn't support that method. Updating the driver in Device Manager manager can't find any valid driver. It's for a Primera Signature Z1 disc labeller.

edit: Ah, the old "have disk..." dialogue was more helpful. The driver is 32-bit (which is what I ran in Vista) and I'm running 64-bit Win7. gently caress. This is the first time I've run into that.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 28, 2009

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I grabbed one of the $30 Student copies of 7 for my netbook but I need to get another copy of windows 7 for my desktop. Looking though new egg i found these two items.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116717

I know there has to be some catch to this OEI/OEM package, so what is it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Technically it should only be sold with a new PC or something that can hold data. And if it is like Vista, after a certain amount of upgrades you have to reactivate.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

teethgrinder posted:

edit: Ah, the old "have disk..." dialogue was more helpful. The driver is 32-bit (which is what I ran in Vista) and I'm running 64-bit Win7. gently caress. This is the first time I've run into that.

You might have luck running through a 32bit installation under VMWare, which supports arbitrary USB devices.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

scarymonkey posted:

You might have luck running through a 32bit installation under VMWare, which supports arbitrary USB devices.
Ah cool. I'll look into that if I can't make it work with the XP virtual machine that ships with the RTM version of Win7 Business. (Unless something has changed since I last read about this stuff.)

In the meantime, I remembered I have a ghetto XP laptop lying around which did the trick.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I grabbed one of the $30 Student copies of 7 for my netbook but I need to get another copy of windows 7 for my desktop. Looking though new egg i found these two items.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116717

I know there has to be some catch to this OEI/OEM package, so what is it?

The OEM can also only be installed on one machine so if you ever replace your desktop you would have to purchase another copy of Win 7. Beyond that OEM is a pretty good deal.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm using the Community Combined Codec Pack with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, and for some reason all my videos play fine except WMV files - they are stuttery and it takes 10-15 seconds when seeking through a file for the sound and video to sync up and start playing. Any reason or work around for this? It happens with the stable and beta versions.

e: Nevermind, fixed it.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 28, 2009

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

teethgrinder posted:

Ah cool. I'll look into that if I can't make it work with the XP virtual machine that ships with the RTM version of Win7 Business. (Unless something has changed since I last read about this stuff.)

In the meantime, I remembered I have a ghetto XP laptop lying around which did the trick.

Coo, AFAIK Virtual PC, which XP mode uses doesn't support USB virtualization, VMWare does for sure, and I think I read VirtualBox does too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

scarymonkey posted:

Coo, AFAIK Virtual PC, which XP mode uses doesn't support USB virtualization, VMWare does for sure, and I think I read VirtualBox does too.

XP Mode DEFINITELY supports USB pass-through.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

fishmech posted:

XP Mode DEFINITELY supports USB pass-through.

Ah, looks like you're right. Just not HID devices:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/b6433aeb-2a76-452f-897c-b75b713a83b4

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I'm using the Community Combined Codec Pack with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, and for some reason all my videos play fine except WMV files - they are stuttery and it takes 10-15 seconds when seeking through a file for the sound and video to sync up and start playing. Any reason or work around for this? It happens with the stable and beta versions.

e: Nevermind, fixed it.

How did you fix this?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'll have to double check at home, but I did a couple of things:

- Removed the beta version of CCCP
- Installed the stable 09-09 version
- Disabled MPC from storing settings to an INI file and deleted all the files in the MPC folder (renamed them to "*.old" first, except for the media player executable)
- Set WMV 1/2/3 as an external filter under "Transform", I think.

Not a hundred percent sure but that is going by memory. I was also getting an issue where MPC would sit and hang for about ten seconds after closing a video, which was thoroughly annoying.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I want to get Win 7 for my desktop (primarily a gaming rig using XP OEM, which can't be upgraded to 7), and Amazon.co.uk has the retail pre-order for both versions of Home Premium for £65. The normal retail price after release will be £80 for the upgrade and £150 for the full version.

When 7 is first released I can save quite a lot now instead of waiting a couple of months, when I'll have more money. So my question is, does anything think/know the intro prices for the full version will stay the same as the upgrade for a while to get people to buy it, or what?

Second question: Does anyone know if there will be discounted pricing come July, for people that have RC1 installed? I plan to put RC1 on my laptop, which is pretty new but not that powerful and loaded with Vista. Unfortunately the free upgrade offer doesn't apply to my model though :smith: so I'll have to get another full version copy, or just use the laptop for 2 hours at a time.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I got Windows 7 through my MSDNAA account.

Installed it, that was all cool.

My computer died, and the .ISO that ACM gives you was on that same computer. I have another laptop that can burn CD's, but I obviously can't get on the main computer with the .iso on it.

Im guessing Microsoft isn't letting people download the .iso for the RC anymore, eh? Do I just have to extract the HD from my computer and put it in an external enclosure to get this back, or what?

If this is Files then I apologize - I thought someone posted a link recently with .iso images saying Microsoft didn't care that they were up.

I have legit CD keys!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
The more I use 7, the more impressed I get with the speed and features. I had some large files which I needed to .rar up to transfer so they would fit on my USB flash drive (FAT32), and decompressing them with Winrar x64 took 5-7 seconds. On XP, it took about a minute.

I also managed to talk a friend into installing the 7 RC and he's sold. He went from XP 64, which he had tons of driver issues with. This time, the install went perfect and did that amazing drivers for everything magic. Just from that fact alone, I think Microsoft is going to expand their market a bit.
And for all the people who want to show off their new OS with Windows 7 Wallpapers, I scoured the net for the best ones and made a .rar of it. Get it Here (40.4mb, 59 files) (my own hosting).

I do have a question though. Has anyone tried the WinFS file system? What is the difference from NTFS? Any performance differences? I was considering using it when I did a clean install, but the (lack of) backwards compatibility scared me off.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The Gasmask posted:

What is the difference from NTFS?

The big difference is that NTFS actually exists. WinFS is "still in development" according to Microsoft, though.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Gyshall posted:

The big difference is that NTFS actually exists. WinFS is "still in development" according to Microsoft, though.

Does that mean it's not actually usable with Win7? I'm pretty sure I have the option to format my flash drive with WinFS, but I could be mistaken.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I got Windows 7 through my MSDNAA account.

Installed it, that was all cool.

My computer died, and the .ISO that ACM gives you was on that same computer. I have another laptop that can burn CD's, but I obviously can't get on the main computer with the .iso on it.

Im guessing Microsoft isn't letting people download the .iso for the RC anymore, eh? Do I just have to extract the HD from my computer and put it in an external enclosure to get this back, or what?

If this is Files then I apologize - I thought someone posted a link recently with .iso images saying Microsoft didn't care that they were up.

I have legit CD keys!

I had the same thing happen to me, turns out you can download the .ISO from the MSDNAA as many times as you like, where ever you like. Just log into the MSDNAA page and go to "My Software", and click on download under "Delivery Type". Even though windows 7 is no longer offered from ACM, you can still download it if you got the key when they were offering it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Gasmask posted:

Does that mean it's not actually usable with Win7? I'm pretty sure I have the option to format my flash drive with WinFS, but I could be mistaken.

You're mistaken. WinFS doesn't exist outside of a lab at Microsoft.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Gasmask posted:

And for all the people who want to show off their new OS with Windows 7 Wallpapers, I scoured the net for the best ones and made a .rar of it. Get it Here (40.4mb, 59 files) (my own hosting).

Hell yeah, I know which one I'm using.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

The Gasmask posted:

As WinFS runs on top of NTFS, yes, you are mistaken.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a HTPC that runs Windows 7 RTM. I just bought a copy of Vista Home Premium, because it included a free Windows 7 upgrade. I'm trying to decide whether I should leave the box as RTM and wait until 7 comes out official and install it or if I should go to Vista for now, use that for a few months and then go to 7 around January or February. It's not a matter of the time to setup, because it's just quick HT build, but I'm debating over the functionality of 7's WMC versus Vista's.

Here's what I use it for:

1) Netflix
2) DVDs
3) Music
4) Pictures
5) Hulu
6) Pandora

7 doesn't have a Hulu plugin, and the Netflix plug in is a thirdparty shareware app that doesn't work that well. If Vista has those two items in a more functional state, I'd prefer to go to Vista until they get ported to 7 officially. What do you all think?

taafis
Dec 1, 2008

keep it nappy or braided up dirty in the cockpit, blazin' up

The Gasmask posted:

that's probably exfat

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a HTPC that runs Windows 7 RTM. I just bought a copy of Vista Home Premium, because it included a free Windows 7 upgrade. I'm trying to decide whether I should leave the box as RTM and wait until 7 comes out official and install it or if I should go to Vista for now, use that for a few months and then go to 7 around January or February. It's not a matter of the time to setup, because it's just quick HT build, but I'm debating over the functionality of 7's WMC versus Vista's.

Here's what I use it for:

1) Netflix
2) DVDs
3) Music
4) Pictures
5) Hulu
6) Pandora

7 doesn't have a Hulu plugin, and the Netflix plug in is a thirdparty shareware app that doesn't work that well. If Vista has those two items in a more functional state, I'd prefer to go to Vista until they get ported to 7 officially. What do you all think?

If they work and install in Vista, they should install/work for Win7. Try installing them anyway and see what happens. If they won't install, try the compatibility mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

If they work and install in Vista, they should install/work for Win7. Try installing them anyway and see what happens. If they won't install, try the compatibility mode.

The Netflix app for Vista is just a default module in Vista MC. It isn't part of 7's, but the thirdparty app some guy wrote for 7 works, but it doesn't actually integrate with 7 MC when you play a move, it just launches a browser window so you can't use your remote.

I'll try to Hulu app for 7, but I'd really like smooth Netflix integration. If I'm missing a way to install the Vista app in 7, I'd love to hear about it, but I haven't found anything about that yet.