Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I just got my first "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown." Where do I go to find more information about what happened? Is there an event log somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jam2 posted:

I just got my first "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown." Where do I go to find more information about what happened? Is there an event log somewhere?

It's in the same place it's always been. Right click Computer, choose Manage. Then look for event viewer > windows logs and it's one of those, most likely System.

Also, I'm going to say it was the trojan that installed AV2010.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is it possible to still download the Windows 7 RC somewhere? A mirror maybe? A friend of mine wants to try it out and he says Microsoft is still giving away CD Keys but the download has been taken off. I can't seem to find the ISO on my computer and I highly doubt I'll find the DVD I burned it onto to install.

If this is considered :filez: then just ignore me.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Ziir posted:

Is it possible to still download the Windows 7 RC somewhere?

If there is, there shouldn't be. Just do a keyless install of the RTM.

Aindriu
Mar 1, 2008
٩๏̯͡๏)۶
Got my free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate edition at the Dublin launch today. Gonna install it tomorrow.

coldsnap
Jun 28, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

AntiVirus Pro 2010 (and its many variants) are annoying, but they can NOT install themselves under Windows Vista or Windows 7 without someone giving them consent first.

I don't know what the program name was that asked permission and installed it, but it sure didn't call itself AntiVirus Pro 2010.

And I certainly could have gotten it from the corrupted download on the Razer site, which makes sense if by me allowing the Razer driver setup program to make changes to my computer allowed AntiVirus Pro 2010 to install itself.

I would have hoped that the real-time protection from Nod and SuperAntiSpyware would have blocked installation of the trojan and rogue antivirus but it seems that even updating the virus definitions daily just doesn't keep up with the malware crap out there.

Add in the fact that the file came from an established website like Razer makes it easy to see why so many people get these problems even when they are trying to be careful.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

coldsnap posted:

I don't know what the program name was that asked permission and installed it, but it sure didn't call itself AntiVirus Pro 2010.

And I certainly could have gotten it from the corrupted download on the Razer site, which makes sense if by me allowing the Razer driver setup program to make changes to my computer allowed AntiVirus Pro 2010 to install itself.

I would have hoped that the real-time protection from Nod and SuperAntiSpyware would have blocked installation of the trojan and rogue antivirus but it seems that even updating the virus definitions daily just doesn't keep up with the malware crap out there.

Add in the fact that the file came from an established website like Razer makes it easy to see why so many people get these problems even when they are trying to be careful.

If your UAC as not at maximum, it's possible to trick the whitelist. If it's lowered at all, it could get by without even getting a prompt.

If your Flash/Browser were running elevated or if they weren't sandboxed properly, it could get by without a prompt.

UAC is security in name only unless you max it out, and even then, there might be a hole or two. Of course, it's not designed as security but to train developers to stop writing lovely code, so who knows?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

coldsnap posted:

Because it was a trojan... trojans disguise themselves as something else to insert a malware payload.

It's like if you let some dude into your house and then he pulled a gun on you, you probably wouldn't have willingly let him in would you?

coldsnap
Jun 28, 2004

Casao posted:

If your UAC as not at maximum, it's possible to trick the whitelist. If it's lowered at all, it could get by without even getting a prompt.

I bumped up the UAC from the default setting to the max after I cleaned out the malware. Most likely I only needed to give the mouse driver setup.exe file permission to run for the malware to get the green light to install without further notification.

A week after I cleaned out the stuff, Nod found the trojan in the mouse driver setup file that was sitting on my desktop. Nod downloads and scans every night, so it apparently took Nod a week to get the definition into the scanner database.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

Rort posted:

I apologize if this has been brought up before, but there's been 2000 replies since I've last checked this thread...

Anyway, is there a way to force the taskbar (when on the side of the screen) to be 1 small icon size wide, or about half of width of what it is normally? I think it's actually a glitch, but when I open a video in a splitting program, explorer reverts to Windows 7 Basic and I get an awesome thin taskbar.

Here's some screenshots of what I'm talking about :

Normal, thick taskbar (thinnest you can get it by dragging it):

Awesome, thin taskbar (what I want):

The answer is use small icons.

Right click taskbar, check use small icons.

Also, has their been any good words about microsoft security essentials? The help desk guys here are now recommending it over AVG for student PCs now (but mostly because AVG thinks maple is a virus).

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Sojourner posted:

The answer is use small icons.

Right click taskbar, check use small icons.

Also, has their been any good words about microsoft security essentials? The help desk guys here are now recommending it over AVG for student PCs now (but mostly because AVG thinks maple is a virus).

He's using small icons. His whole post is him complaining because he's using small icons & can't get the taskbar to resize itself.

JoeCitizen posted:

I've been using Shark007's Windows 7 Codec Pack. It is hands down the best there is.

Is it even necessary to use a codec pack if you're using MPC-HC? I'm getting tired of VLC, and was going to switch over. I'd read that MPC-HC, like VLC, doesn't really need codec packs. Are they worth installing for something like that, or only if you want to use WMP/WMC?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Stunt Rock posted:

He's using small icons. His whole post is him complaining because he's using small icons & can't get the taskbar to resize itself.

Is it even necessary to use a codec pack if you're using MPC-HC? I'm getting tired of VLC, and was going to switch over. I'd read that MPC-HC, like VLC, doesn't really need codec packs. Are they worth installing for something like that, or only if you want to use WMP/WMC?

It's necessary for Media Center or WMP, and the codecs are nicer than the built in one occasionally.

If you're using Shark007, it disables ALL WMV acceleration, was wondering why my system was choking. Hopped into FFDShow and changed it to WMV9 and it worked fine.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
So far, MPC-HC, a recent ffdshow tryout, and Haali media splitter have handled everything I've thrown at my Win7 box.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Stunt Rock posted:

Is it even necessary to use a codec pack if you're using MPC-HC? I'm getting tired of VLC, and was going to switch over. I'd read that MPC-HC, like VLC, doesn't really need codec packs.
VLC has its own decoders built in and no method to load external filters. MPC-HC has no decoders built in and depends on external filters, but with the EVR renderer on Vista/7 will use DXVA hardware decoding of VC1/VC2 video depending on your graphics card.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Swilo posted:

VLC has its own decoders built in and no method to load external filters. MPC-HC has no decoders built in and depends on external filters, but with the EVR renderer on Vista/7 will use DXVA hardware decoding of VC1/VC2 video depending on your graphics card.

no MPC-HC has internal filters built in and will also use system filters

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
That's news to me, I didn't know they were going that route; MPC only had enough to run DVDs. Any idea what they're using for that?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've been having more success with ZoomPlayer than anything else.. It's got quite a lot of control over your codecs too.. At least in a much easier sense than I ever found with MPC-HC or VLC

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
MPC-HC includes libavcodec/libavformat, which is about 90% of ffdshow. In terms of playing video the main advantage of using ffdshow instead of the build-in decoders is that it lets you use ffdshow's filters.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jam2 posted:

Try typing "event log" into the Start Menu.

Use start menu search more, people! :arghfist:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Crazy.

A couple of weeks ago I was grousing at how long it takes the "Welcome" process to work on my computer. I didn't do a scientific timing but it was roughly 25 seconds. Incredibly annoying and it didn't seem to do that the first few times I booted after install. The drive light blinks briefly but other than that, the span is spent doing nothing but showing me "Welcome".

I spent time turning off services that given past experience cause the boot to slow but nothing helped.

Thanks to Google, I discovered the problem; I use a solid color background for my desktop. For whatever reason that is the cause of the slow down. I changed it to a random canned picture and the Welcome screen only seemed to last 4 seconds.

My best guess is that with a solid color they create an image on the fly using the worst algorithm in the world.

Stimm
Aug 6, 2009

Aindriu posted:

Got my free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate edition at the Dublin launch today. Gonna install it tomorrow.

reely i dont get mine for a week or so

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Cheesus posted:

Thanks to Google, I discovered the problem; I use a solid color background for my desktop. For whatever reason that is the cause of the slow down. I changed it to a random canned picture and the Welcome screen only seemed to last 4 seconds.
Try making your own background image of a solid color in paint? That's really annoying if true, because I do the same thing.

Aindriu
Mar 1, 2008
٩๏̯͡๏)۶

Stimm posted:

reely i dont get mine for a week or so

What did you do wrong?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Swilo posted:

Try making your own background image of a solid color in paint? That's really annoying if true, because I do the same thing.
Yes, I ended up making a .gif the size of my desktop with my desired color. Very annoying to have to do that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Make a smaller gif and tile it?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Cheesus posted:

Yes, I ended up making a .gif the size of my desktop with my desired color. Very annoying to have to do that.
Just like OS X! :downsbravo: (This is a joke, I could never figure out how to solid color a desktop (if there's a way))

Cojawfee posted:

Make a smaller gif and tile it?
That's no different, it's annoying that you can't just use the solid color option without the weird boot lag.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

LooseChanj posted:

If there is, there shouldn't be. Just do a keyless install of the RTM.

Well where can I download the RTM? I'm not a Technet subscriber.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ziir posted:

Well where can I download the RTM? I'm not a Technet subscriber.

Torrents.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Torrents.

can you imagine if only people who had actually paid for W7 could post in this thread...

no one would post in the threaded

edit: it's a joke guys

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 16, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

echinopsis posted:

can you imagine if only people who had actually paid for W7 could post in this thread...

no one would post in the thread

Does paying for MSDN access count? That's how I have it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

no one would post in the thread

I paid money (thought not much) and have a valid key for Windows 7. Lots of people have the final version of Windows 7.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
I'm having a weird issue with the Windows 7 RTM. Twice (the first time while I was installing a program and this time while I was loading a web page) the mouse pointer has become absolutely enormous for no apparently reason. It looks completely normal on my second monitor, but on my primary display it looks like a partially blind person is trying to use the computer from across the room.

I've tried Google and every possible setting in Windows but I'm having no luck. In order to fix it, I need to restart the computer. I'm getting fearful that I burned the Technet ISO too fast and my installation is corrupted.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I just took the plunge and installed Windows 7, and I have two questions that I didn't see answered in the last two pages -

I used RocketDock on Windows XP for all my launching needs*. Will it still work, or is there a better alternitive? My only requirement is it have Stacks capability.

I used LClock to hide my start button and make it display from the system clock with the Windows key, is there a way to do that here? Googling "Windows 7 hide start menu"
brings up a program called Start Killer, but the sites it's on don't fill me with fuzzies. Any options?

*I know the superbar will do the same sort of thing with pinning, but I like having a seperate dock to launch things from and a taskbar to see my running applications.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Xenomorph posted:

Well, then leave it on. Instead of stopping a service or opening Group Policy editor and digging through its structure, I've had a Reboot disable thing in XdN Tweaker for a while that makes the same policy change.

Hey Xenomorph I just wanted to let you know that as of 0.9.2.0 on Win7 x64 v7600 there is no option to disable reboot on automatic updates. So could you turn it on for Win7 as well?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Swilo posted:

Just like OS X! :downsbravo: (This is a joke, I could never figure out how to solid color a desktop (if there's a way))
Every time someone tells me macs are better than PCs I tell them I have a custom solid color desktop and just.... smile :smug:

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
quick and stupid question: is the XP virtualization in windows 7(x64) x32, x64, or both? I have some software that absolutely _will not_ run in any 64 bit OS, and right now I'm looking at using vista64 as my primary OS and an XP32 on a VMWare to run my legacy apps.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

IcedPee posted:

quick and stupid question: is the XP virtualization in windows 7(x64) x32, x64, or both? I have some software that absolutely _will not_ run in any 64 bit OS, and right now I'm looking at using vista64 as my primary OS and an XP32 on a VMWare to run my legacy apps.

It's for both 32 and 64 bit. If you're going to use XPMode for older software, there's really no reason at all to run 32-bit on the host system. Anything that can't run in x64, toss it into XPM and be done with it.

The only restriction is that you have to run it on Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise.

Edit: And yes, the XP install in XPMode is 32-bit Professional.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 16, 2009

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

IcedPee posted:

From TechNet:

"Windows XP Mode provides a 32-bit Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (SP3) environment pre-loaded on a virtual hard disk."

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

real_scud posted:

Hey Xenomorph I just wanted to let you know that as of 0.9.2.0 on Win7 x64 v7600 there is no option to disable reboot on automatic updates. So could you turn it on for Win7 as well?

That's weird. I don't know why I didn't have it enabled under Windows 7. I can only assume it wasn't working as expected in a beta or something, and I disabled the feature then.

I just tested it under x64/7600, and it set the policy fine. It will be there in 0.9.2.1.

Thank you for the feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Xenomorph posted:

That's weird. I don't know why I didn't have it enabled under Windows 7. I can only assume it wasn't working as expected in a beta or something, and I disabled the feature then.

I just tested it under x64/7600, and it set the policy fine. It will be there in 0.9.2.1.

Thank you for the feedback.
NP, I wouldn't have really noticed it until my system rebooted this morning and I went looking back in the program because I could've sworn I went through all the options and set things to my personal preference right after the system was setup.