Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's a pity I can't seem to get the games explorer to be on the taskbar complete with slideout selections for my games, it just seemed a natural thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

WebDog posted:

It's a pity I can't seem to get the games explorer to be on the taskbar complete with slideout selections for my games, it just seemed a natural thing to do.

It is a really odd design move. If i can pin my computer, i've effectively made the start icon redundant.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

incoherent posted:

Welcome to the new task bar!

E: you can try to force it to run in as vista, but I doubt it will work. Microsoft is guiding people away from the system tray.

e2: it does work.
That must have been what I did the first time. Thanks.

Sucks, though. :/

And what's with the low-res tray icon :wtc:?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Swilo posted:

I only have these 2 "predefined systems" which I'm not always using, sometimes I require access from macs, and occasionally I set it up for my friends to grab things. It's just easier to do all this with an FTP server, especially when some of the files are massive.

I'm not worried about security because I don't transfer sensitive data, mostly lab images and game-related things like demos or maps. What do you think is outdated about the ftp protocol, and what exactly does sftp lose besides [url]ftp://[/url] support in web browsers?

Does Windows 7 build in support for anything besides Mesh and file sharing?

just an idea.. dropbox.. 2GB, free, constantly synchronising and can be used on more than one computer at a time (meaning it keeps those computers in sync)

It just exists as a folder on your HD, and whatever happens in it get transferred to their servers.

It might not be elegant but it works well; I have a bunch of my programs store their config files there and I even used syncbackpro to automatically sync my USB stick when I plug it in to that folder so it's sync'd across a USB-Computer-Internet chain. it wasn't even hard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

incoherent posted:

It is a really odd design move. If i can pin my computer, i've effectively made the start icon redundant.

didn't we work out how to do that? do you pin my computer to the task bar? you can pin it so that you can right click on the start bar and select my comptuer

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Alex007 posted:

Just a heads-up before they come and destroy your arguments ... there's (finally) a free replacement that works for the Cisco VPN client. The name is shrews and it was recommended in this thread not long ago. I tried it and with little config it connects flawlessly to our PIX at work.

I'm currently running 32bit but I believe they have a 64bit client too, I'll give it a try when my upgrade key arrives and I get to reinstall (and move to 64bit).

That's ok. It's more of a proof of concept thing than anything else. Plus, alternative programs that work natively like that seem to support Win 7 adoption more than hurt it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

incoherent posted:

It is a really odd design move. If i can pin my computer, I've effectively made the start icon redundant.

You can make the explorer icon simply go to Computer by right clicking on it in the taskbar to open it, then right click on "Windows Explorer" and go into properties.

Then under target paste :
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Or if you prefer documents.
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Casao posted:

Everything you transfer is in plain text. Including that password you're using to log in. So anyone sniffing would have immediate access to your FTP and all data it contains.
I'm well aware of the plain text problem, but like I said nothing is at all sensitive that I transfer, and the user/pass isn't shared with anything else; at worst someone could download a bunch of boring autoradiograms or flood my hard drive with junk data. I'll look into seeing what's available for SFTP servers since I'm almost always using a client anyway (there's got to be a portable client you could run off USB for computers you don't have admin), but I'm not really worried about the security.

To me hamachi is solely for when friends have firewall problems or really old games that only support LAN play.

echinopsis posted:

just an idea.. dropbox..
I have USB drives bigger than that which I'm almost never without, I'm not concerned with syncing anything but for those times when I realize I'd like a random file for whatever reason.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Swilo posted:

What do you think is outdated about the ftp protocol

The whole drat thing, the biggest one being that the client is actually the server and vice versa. It's a great protocol for the 1980s when security was unimportant, and NAT didn't exist, but frankly its rear end today. It's also awfully slow when you start having packet loss, SFTP accommodates that easily.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Swilo posted:

To me hamachi is solely for when friends have firewall problems or really old games.
Or when your friends are pirating sons-of-bitches who can't play on any official server with you :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Swilo posted:

I have USB drives bigger than that which I'm almost never without, I'm not concerned with syncing anything but for those times when I realize I'd like a random file for whatever reason.

I actually only sync the folder on my USB with my uni files on.. so it's rarely more than a couple of megabytes that are moving

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

ufarn posted:

I just installed Windows 7 RTM following the 7100 RC, and my Messenger insists on staying in the Taskbar, where I prefer it in the tray. It reduces clutter, and it prevents me from shutting down the entire program by closing the Taskbar session.

How do I revert back to having it in the tray?

Right click the shotcut and change the compatibility option to Vista. It will then run in the system tray.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

Right click the shotcut and change the compatibility option to Vista. It will then run in the system tray.

This tip needs to be stickied in the W7 release thread "The party is now over!"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

WebDog posted:

This tip needs to be stickied in the W7 release thread "The party is now over!"

I can go back to AIM 4.8 to let it live back on the taskbar rather then the systray.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Is it easy (or practical) to convert my current XP install to a VHD and then basically do a clean install of W7?

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

quadratic posted:

Is it easy (or practical) to convert my current XP install to a VHD...

What, and run it in a virtual machine?

My guess is that, if it IS possible, it would be incredibly difficult. I've only heard of Parallels doing that on Macs, and that's only because the list of hardware it would need to know how to emulate is extremely short.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Windows 7 has VHD support if you're thinking of migrating your XP install into that, but I have no idea how without having windows already installed or what purpose it would serve as it's not hard to save bookmarks and other bits before re-installing.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

quadratic posted:

Is it easy (or practical) to convert my current XP install to a VHD and then basically do a clean install of W7?
Vmware has a free physical to virtual converter and vmware player is free.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

quadratic posted:

I've done exactly that and it works... but what's the point. I've got my old XP install but I've done nothing with it since then except wax nostalgic about a 7 year old OS installation.

But if you're curious... Acronis True Image w/Universal Restore is what I use.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I preordered the Win 7 upgrade on Newegg back when Microsoft first had it, but just recently saw that the OEM 64 bit copy of Win 7 is only $99, only about 40 dollars more than the upgrade copy. Would it be a good idea to cancel the upgrade, get the OEM copy so that way I can easily reformat without having to worry about installing Vista to get a fresh Win 7?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ryuga Death posted:

I preordered the Win 7 upgrade on Newegg back when Microsoft first had it, but just recently saw that the OEM 64 bit copy of Win 7 is only $99, only about 40 dollars more than the upgrade copy. Would it be a good idea to cancel the upgrade, get the OEM copy so that way I can easily reformat without having to worry about installing Vista to get a fresh Win 7?

You can take an image of a fresh install of 7 and never have to go through the whole reinstall process. Is it worth $40 to reinstall instead of imaging?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Casao posted:

You can take an image of a fresh install of 7 and never have to go through the whole reinstall process. Is it worth $40 to reinstall instead of imaging?

To be honest, I'm unsure of how to take an image of anything, but I'll google around for it. Thanks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Casao posted:

No only that, but people keep forgetting that as long as your current windows 7 install is working in some fashion (and activated) you can do a fresh install from upgrade keys. You really only ever need to install a previous version and activate it if you are completely without operating system and have no images.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

To be honest, I'm unsure of how to take an image of anything, but I'll google around for it. Thanks.

Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create a system image

Do that as soon as you install and you can go back to a pristine install whenever you need to.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

No only that, but people keep forgetting that as long as your current windows 7 install is working in some fashion (and activated) you can do a fresh install from upgrade keys. You really only ever need to install a previous version and activate it if you are completely without operating system and have no images.

From upgrade keys, what do you mean? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be 100% sure in what I'm doing.

Noxville posted:

Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create a system image

Do that as soon as you install and you can go back to a pristine install whenever you need to.

Thank you. :) How much HDD space does that take up? Thanks for the kind replies, guys. I was expecting a LMGTFY response.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Ryuga Death posted:

Thank you. :) How much HDD space does that take up? Thanks for the kind replies, guys. I was expecting a LMGTFY response.

I just interpreted that as "Let me get that for you" haha. I do realize what the website is but for some reason I found my initial interpretation a lot more fun. It's almost like the polar opposite of the purpose of that website.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Sorry if this has been discussed at length already, but I'm wondering about what antivirus to use... I've been running 7 ultimate for a couple of weeks, but I've yet to get an AV solution that is widely recognized as "good".

Any suggestions? I don't know much about AVG, for example...

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

Slanderer posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed at length already, but I'm wondering about what antivirus to use... I've been running 7 ultimate for a couple of weeks, but I've yet to get an AV solution that is widely recognized as "good".

Any suggestions? I don't know much about AVG, for example...

Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, and has worked well for me while using little resources.

Thelonious Funk
Jan 6, 2009

Twisted Fate ain't got shit on me.
There's going to be a new thread for this when it officially hits, right? I'm going to be upgrading my laptop I'm getting tomorrow with it, and would rather not bog down this thread with questions that have already been asked a billion times. (I want to bog down a new thread!)

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 14, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I recently read that AVG was the most popular antivirus software. That's a shame, as Avast! always seemed to be such a better program. Initial setup can be a little weird (make sure to do minimal install, no skins, turn off sounds, etc), but AVG8.x defaults to some REALLY retarded options. Browser toolbar? Modify search results? Full system scan in the middle of the business day? Tie into email and advertise itself?

Avast felt like a "real" commercial app. AVG won't even let you Pause or stop the always-on scanner without uninstalling it. That is a big reason I would never use it on my home systems.

Of course, Microsoft Security Essentials is out, and people will shift to that.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I installed Avast once on a whim when I feared my pc may had been compromised.

It worked effectively enough to scan and prove I was in the clear, however the interface was godawful, and I felt like an awful Winamp Classic skin was trying to protect my PC.

edit: for clarity, the image from google is old, but my experience was ~6 months ago.

revolther fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 19, 2009

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I'm personally a fan of Avira free. Works fine on windows 7, doesn't bother you constantly when it updates and I haven't noticed any slowdown upon installing it.

-Risk
Jul 16, 2008
Don't think this really deserves a new thread:

I'm doing a clean install when W7 is officially released.

My NOD32 1yr sub has run out since like a month back.

Should i renew or is MSE good enough to hold its own? Will i regret putting MSE on the fresh new start?

Also, is it worth having the AV program on the systemdrive (intel X25M G2 SSD) as opposed to the 7200rpm storage drive for faster auto-updates of the database?

Cheers

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

-Risk posted:

Also, is it worth having the AV program on the systemdrive (intel X25M G2 SSD) as opposed to the 7200rpm storage drive for faster auto-updates of the database?

Unless your system drive is slower than your internet connection, then what drive you put it on will make bugger all difference to how fast it auto updates.

I'd stick it on the system drive just so that if you need to move drives around in the future you don't lose your AV.

revolther
May 27, 2008

-Risk posted:

Unless Nod32 is dramatically different from every AV application ever, how big do you think these auto-updates are? It's usually a small file ranging from 100k to a megabyte or two, and updates definitions/whatever in a matter of seconds.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

revolther posted:

It worked effectively enough to scan and prove I was in the clear, however the interface was godawful, and I felt like an awful Winamp Classic skin was trying to protect my PC.

The default skin does indeed look awful. However, you can turn skinning off and it just looks like any other window.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

revolther posted:

This looked like Winamp to you?

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Xenomorph posted:

This looked like Winamp to you?

I believe he was talking about the ridiculously horrible skin that it uses by default. Why the gently caress does an anti-virus program, something that you shouldn't have to fiddle with too much unless you're a moron, need skins in the first place? Not every facet of an operating system needs to be riced out like a teenager's lovely Honda Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Might be a dumb question, but how many installs do they allow per key (regular retail windows 7 ultimate), assuming you can do more than 1?