Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

I am currently downloading Windows 7 Professional 64-bit off of MSDNAA (Its good to be an ICS major, sometimes), and I am currently running Vista Home Professional 64-bit. The OP says that I should be able to do an Upgrade, but I am seeing some conflicting reports online.

Will I be able to do an upgrade install, or am I stuck with a clean install?

Should be able to upgrade, there was a chart posted earlier in this thread to confirm.

When you have the disc burnt, just stick it in and see if the upgrade option presents itself, if it does then great, if not you're stuck with a clean install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Thanks, there was a mistype in my prior post, I meant RC.

64 bit rc http://fishmech.net/7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso
32 bit rc http://fishmech.net/7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Anyone planning on doing an unboxing video when their win7 arrives in the mail or when they pick it up at the store?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

^^ Having a launch party friday night that'll p much consist of me getting drunk on shoutcast and doing the puzzle on webcam, is that classier than a unboxing?

Unlucky7 posted:

I am currently downloading Windows 7 Professional 64-bit off of MSDNAA (Its good to be an ICS major, sometimes), and I am currently running Vista Home Professional 64-bit. The OP says that I should be able to do an Upgrade, but I am seeing some conflicting reports online.

Will I be able to do an upgrade install, or am I stuck with a clean install?

Vista Home Professional?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Cuddly Coach posted:

^^ Having a launch party friday night that'll p much consist of me getting drunk on shoutcast and doing the puzzle on webcam, is that classier than a unboxing?

Thats an entirely different beast.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Stupid question about purchasing an upgrade copy of Windows 7 professional.

I have Windows XP currently installed. Is it possible for me to use the upgrade copy to perform a clean, full installation to another hard drive on this computer?

My second question is can I use the upgrade copy to install a clean, full installation over the previous windows xp install? I wouldn't need to have anything backed up anyway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Severed posted:

Stupid question about purchasing an upgrade copy of Windows 7 professional.

I have Windows XP currently installed. Is it possible for me to use the upgrade copy to perform a clean, full installation to another hard drive on this computer?

My second question is can I use the upgrade copy to install a clean, full installation over the previous windows xp install? I wouldn't need to have anything backed up anyway.

The only possible upgrade installs from XP are clean installs, the upgrade disc allows you to do this.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

fishmech posted:

The only possible upgrade installs from XP are clean installs, the upgrade disc allows you to do this.

Essentially the only difference between the upgrade and full copies is that the upgrade version checks to see if another copy of windows is already installed. From there, I imagine they are similar?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like newegg may at least get it in my hands by Friday.

quote:

Status: Transfer - Your order is currently transitioning from Pre-order to Step 1. Please check Order Status later for updated information.

If they ship Weds, I'll have it by Friday for sure.

Hell, maybe they'll ship it out first thing tomorrow morning. I could possibly get it on release day then.

Desert Fox
Feb 3, 2006
CONSERVAPID REPUBLICUNT
Is it possible to do an upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Professional?

If I download the software from the website, can I burn a bootable dvd for future installations?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

h0lmes posted:

Is it possible to do an upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Professional?

No, the RC is Ultimate. You'll have to do a custom install.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

fishmech posted:

So wait, then why would anyone buy a "full version" instead of an upgrade disc?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

So wait, then why would anyone buy a "full version" instead of an upgrade disc?

The upgrade disk is a much cheaper option. The downside is the verification of the O/S before install. You wouldn't have to worry with a full version and you can pop the install disk right in and go right to the installing.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Anybody happen to hear when the DigitalRiver distribution floodgates are going to be opened? I'd like to think it'd be a midnight launch, but midnight for what region?

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Well I got mine early thanks to Dixons and I'm blown away how well it runs on my 3GHz P4. I'm sure a 3GB upgrade helped, but as someone who's barely used Vista or 7, I'm loving the new interface.

Now I want a new monitor though :argh: 1280x1024 is not enough for this beautiful interface

Any recommendations on a good media player?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

oversteer posted:

Media player or media center. They are really, really good.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Quick question that google hasn't been able to answer: how do you change the backgound colour of explorer windows in 7?

If you go to 'Advanced Appearance Settings' and change the 'window' setting, it effects other programs (Volume mixer) but not My Computer/other directory windows. What am i missing?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Piano posted:

The cd keys aren't tied to 32/64 versions, just the actual edition. Not sure why everyone seems so terrified of just torrenting the 64 bit versions if they only have the 32. Just check the hash and it's literally the exact same thing.

Do you know if this would work regarding the family pack? Does the family pack include 3 separate keys or just one? The family pack would be perfect for my household but 2 computers are 32 bit and one is 64. Could I just buy the family pack (64 bit) version, torrent the 32 bit versions and use my family pack key?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Severed posted:

May be technically possible but would be in violation of the EULA. An upgrade copy replaces your XP licence with a 7 licence, it doesn't give you an additional licence

quote:

Yes, this is the standard upgrade procedure from XP.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

oversteer posted:

Foobar for audio, VLC for DVDs/vido, Cyberlink for Blu-Ray.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

jew$ posted:

Just discovered thanks to following @MSWindows on Twitter, press the Windows key and any arrow key and just watch the awesomeness that unfolds.

Windows Key + Up = Maximize
Windows Key + Down = Minimize
Windows Key + Left = split and align with left hand side of the screen
Windows Key + Right = split and align with right hand side of the screen
Windows Key + Right + Right = Switching monitors (requires multiple monitors)
and visa versa....you'll figure it out.

Win + Shift + Direction will shift directly to the monitor in that direction (and wrap around, I think).

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Two questions:

1.) Can Ultimate upgrade be installed on a system that does not have XP installed, but for which I have a valid and active XP license? The reason I'm asking is because the computer has XP on one hard drive and I'll be building a RAID 1 for 7 and it would be silly to have to install XP first.

2.) Is there an Ultimate family pack? The Home Premium family pack seems like a really nice deal, but I might need some features of Ultimate (I probably won't).

3.) Just for clarification, Home Premium comes with the remote desktop client, right? Just not the server? I connect to work through a Terminal Services Gateway and no RDP client besides mstsc supports it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Home premium does indeed come with the remote desktop client, but I can't help with your other two questions.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Erwin posted:

Two questions:

1.) Can Ultimate upgrade be installed on a system that does not have XP installed, but for which I have a valid and active XP license? The reason I'm asking is because the computer has XP on one hard drive and I'll be building a RAID 1 for 7 and it would be silly to have to install XP first.

2.) Is there an Ultimate family pack? The Home Premium family pack seems like a really nice deal, but I might need some features of Ultimate (I probably won't).

3.) Just for clarification, Home Premium comes with the remote desktop client, right? Just not the server? I connect to work through a Terminal Services Gateway and no RDP client besides mstsc supports it.

1) Upgrade requires a fully activated copy of Windows to be installed before it can be installed. The RC can serve, so you could install the RC on it, activate, then install Retail when you get it. You need something.

2) There's no Ultimate family pack, no. Not annoucned.

3) Yes, it comes with the client, just not the server. Worst case, you could install the client.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Casao posted:

2) There's no Ultimate family pack, no. Not annoucned.

Most cost effective way is probably to get the Family Pack and then anytime upgrade to Pro. I strongly doubt you actually need the features of Ultimate. It's a bit pants really. Check prices of anytime upgrade in your country before following this advice

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I thought this was kind of interesting.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/windows-7-breaks-amazon-uk-pre-order-volume-record-ousts-harry/

It's really looking like Windows 7 is going to be more of an 'event' like when Windows 95 first came out. I don't remember there ever being so much of a buzz for upgrading your OS rather than just waiting to get the new one when you bought a new computer.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I thought this was kind of interesting.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/windows-7-breaks-amazon-uk-pre-order-volume-record-ousts-harry/

It's really looking like Windows 7 is going to be more of an 'event' like when Windows 95 first came out. I don't remember there ever being so much of a buzz for upgrading your OS rather than just waiting to get the new one when you bought a new computer.

They really could use the hype to finally get people to switch.

Imagine if they didn't have all this craziness and/or just called it "Vista SE" or "Vista R2" or something.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Xenomorph posted:

I can't wait for the boo-hooing over not being able to upgrade XP. I think they've really shot themselves in the foot there. Sure you can "upgrade", but it's still a clean install. Oh well, more money from people who don't know how to install Office or any of their other apps.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Just ordered for $30.00 through the win741.com or whatever. You just need a valid college email.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Anybody happen to hear when the DigitalRiver distribution floodgates are going to be opened? I'd like to think it'd be a midnight launch, but midnight for what region?

I just ordered through there, supposed to get an email tomorrow.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Imagine if they didn't have all this craziness and/or just called it "Vista SE" or "Vista R2" or something.

I was thinking about their naming "strategy" last night, and how they haven't kept the same scheme for more than 2 or 3 versions in a row, discounting server editions(2000,2003,2008)

DOS and up to 3.1 were simple, just version numbers
3.11 was still just a version but it tacked on (for workgroups)
NT - letters
95, 98 - year of release
ME - letters that reference a year of release :wtc:
2000 - year of release
XP - letters
Vista - a name, really so simple?
and now 7, the triumphant return to a version number

Anyone wanna give odds on if the next will be 8, or 2012, or ABC or some other made up word?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Is there any downside to doing a upgrade versus a full install in terms of disk space and general cruft?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cuddly Coach posted:

I was thinking about their naming "strategy" last night, and how they haven't kept the same scheme for more than 2 or 3 versions in a row, discounting server editions(2000,2003,2008)

Honestly, it's even more confusing than that since everything after ME is just a version of the NT Kernel and Windows 7 isn't NT 7. So, 7 actually is not a version number.

NT4
NT5 (Windows 2000)
NT5.1 (Windows XP, Server 2003)
NT5.2 (Server 2003 R2, Windows home server)
NT6 (Vista, Server 2008)
NT6.1 (Windows 7, Server 2008 R2)

7, in this case, refer to it being the 7th major home OS release I guess.

ME
XP
Vista

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 21, 2009

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Alright, questions with obvious answers time. I have Vista installed on one partition and pretty much the rest of my crap on another. Since I live in Europe I'm stuck with doing a full install of Windows 7. Will I just lose the stuff on my Vista partition or will I lose the lot?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
Can I set up a windows 7 pro box with a technet key and them replace it with the same level of purchased key? I want to set up a VM which will eventually be used for production, but it will take a few weeks of testing which will be plenty of time to get my PO approved.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

incoherent posted:

The upgrade disk is a much cheaper option. The downside is the verification of the O/S before install. You wouldn't have to worry with a full version and you can pop the install disk right in and go right to the installing.
I want to "upgrade" from Windows XP and wasn't sure how to phrase my question but you answered it perfectly. I just ordered the full Home Premium 64-bit version.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, it's even more confusing than that since everything after ME is just a version of the NT Kernel and Windows 7 isn't NT 7. So, 7 actually is not a version number.

Actually, Windows 7 is NT 7. But Microsoft worried about all the idiot developers who determine version number by checking for 6.x. So they had to make 7 be 6.1 so something that was made for Vista wouldn't be broken because an error message pops up telling you to use the latest version of Windows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yay, Newegg has shipped my 7 order. Since it's so early in the day, there's an outside possibility that I'll get it tomorrow.

Cojawfee posted:

Actually, Windows 7 is NT 7. But Microsoft worried about all the idiot developers who determine version number by checking for 6.x. So they had to make 7 be 6.1 so something that was made for Vista wouldn't be broken because an error message pops up telling you to use the latest version of Windows.

Well, it kind of becomes a semantics thing at that point. They may have wanted it to be NT7, but they named it NT6.1. The net result is the version that the OS reports doesn't match the name. Windows 7 isn't NT7 as it is shipped even if they wanted it to be. So, if the next version of Windows is named windows 8, chances are it's not going to be NT8. Hence the whole muddling of the naming conventions even more.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 21, 2009

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

MrChupon posted:

Is there any downside to doing a upgrade versus a full install in terms of disk space and general cruft?

Yes, upgrade installs generally suck. Half your software will need to be reinstalled anyway, and you'll have all sorts of weird performance issues.

The past 15 years have taught me to never ever do an upgrade install. Suck it up, backup your files and do a clean install every time. Think of it a good practice for recovering from a hard drive failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Tequila25 posted:

Yes, upgrade installs generally suck. Half your software will need to be reinstalled anyway, and you'll have all sorts of weird performance issues.

The past 15 years have taught me to never ever do an upgrade install. Suck it up, backup your files and do a clean install every time. Think of it a good practice for recovering from a hard drive failure.

To be fair, the last 15 years does not indicate what Windows 7 is capable of. I upgraded Vista Business x64 to 7 Enterprise (trial) x64 and in the end I did not have to reinstall any software and everything is just as it was before the upgrade. I do not have any weird performance issues.

Having said that it took about 2 days and failed halfway through the first time with a very cryptic message that I had to Google and find out I had to set an environmental variable in Vista so that it didn't check something and it was an entire load of bullshit. Considering you should back everything up anyway, it's probably easier to just do a clean install.

Point is, upgrade installs are much better with Windows 7. They're not perfect, but your experience in the last 15 years isn't applicable here.