Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jos
Feb 13, 2007
I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.
I bought a computer after July 26th with Windows Vista Ultimate from Dell, and will get its equivalent version of 7 mailed to me. Only it will take up to a month before it's shipped and I want my win7 now.

I read 30+ pages of this thread and have extracted the following information:

-I should download the WIN7 RTM ISO with MD5: F43D22E4FB07BF617D573ACD8785C028
-I can install and use this version in trial-mode until my win7 key arrives in the mail (in about a month), should this take longer I need to do the 30+ days rearm fix
-Once I got it I can then insert said key into win7 and be a happy bear

Is this correct? Anyone actually did this already? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Jos posted:

I bought a computer after July 26th with Windows Vista Ultimate from Dell, and will get its equivalent version of 7 mailed to me. Only it will take up to a month before it's shipped and I want my win7 now.

I read 30+ pages of this thread and have extracted the following information:

-I should download the WIN7 RTM ISO with MD5: F43D22E4FB07BF617D573ACD8785C028
-I can install and use this version in trial-mode until my win7 key arrives in the mail (in about a month), should this take longer I need to do the 30+ days rearm fix
-Once I got it I can then insert said key into win7 and be a happy bear

Is this correct? Anyone actually did this already? Thanks!

Yep. Just make sure you install ultimate.

Jos
Feb 13, 2007
I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.
^^Thank you that was quick! I hope I won't run into the whole upgrade hassle since I don't know whether they'll send me a full OEM or an upgrade license, but even then there seems to be a registry fix.

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.
Has anyone come across any tools that can be used to easily create a Windows 7 image that can be deployed to multiple computers? I've tried to use the WAIK but it's just far to complicated, my ideal would be a tool that I could just point at a reference machine and have it create an automated install based off of it's settings.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone else had problems connecting to the internet? I'm going mad trying to sort this problem out.

For some reason, I am getting the message '"Local area connection" does not have valid IP configuration'. I seem to be connected to an 'unidentified network'. The only thing I can think of that caused it is my computer going into sleep mode, but I've done a system restore and the internet is still not working.

I've googled this like crazy, some of the (failed) answers I got were:

Uncheck the option that allows windows to turn off the network adapter
Do ipconfig /renew
Uninstalling drivers and rebooting
Getting new drivers from manufacturer's website
Also have done a system restore

Nothing has worked, it's so annoying! Can anyone help?

edit: my router is fine, as my girlfriend's laptop works OK

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 28, 2009

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 14, 2013

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

madprocess posted:

No you aren't! There's only Vista Home Premium or Vista Business, which one do you have?

He probably means Vista Ultimate Home Premium XP Edition.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Joe Don Baker posted:

What's the problem you are having with SyncToy? It works fine on my install.

Synctoy works perfectly fine for me as well. I just used it the other day to back up over 50gb worth of photos and music.

tronester
Aug 12, 2004
People hear what they want to hear.
My dad just bought a new Dell Vostro desktop that is going to be preloaded with Windows 7 32bit Home Premium.

Since its from Dell, the computer will probably be loaded to the brim with crap he doesnt need. Since he has a legal license for Windows, does Microsoft by chance have a website that allows you to download an ISO image? Or even purchasing blank media from them.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!

gib posted:

What have you all been using to back up your files?

Apparently SyncToy doesn't work properly on Windows 7. I tried the built-in windows backup thing, but it seems terribly slow (It's been going for over 15hrs so far and hasn't finished a mere 300gb). I guess the first time it takes longer, but still. It also seems to be putting everything into a huge "backup" file that I can't browse.

I just want to backup a few folders (mostly Photos and Lightroom Catalog) to an external drive.

Anyone used SyncBack (http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html) with Win7?

SyncBack works perfectly fine on Win 7, at least the SE version does, so I would assume the freeware one will, too.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

tronester posted:

My dad just bought a new Dell Vostro desktop that is going to be preloaded with Windows 7 32bit Home Premium.

Since its from Dell, the computer will probably be loaded to the brim with crap he doesnt need. Since he has a legal license for Windows, does Microsoft by chance have a website that allows you to download an ISO image? Or even purchasing blank media from them.

Have him run PC-Decrapifier, it'll be a lot easier for him and it will accomplish the same purpose.

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax

Joe Don Baker posted:

What's the problem you are having with SyncToy? It works fine on my install.

Well I haven't even installed SyncToy after reading some reports like this one:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/34a0ff3c-7b48-4599-bf7d-98d8dc2c154d

Also, it's not listed as being supported in Windows 7.

I guess I'll give SyncBack a try.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

tronester posted:

No, get it from a torrent site and make sure to check the ha....

Wait, what's this! Link

Gizmondo posted:

While most of you had a painless upgrade to Windows 7, some experienced problems with the downloadable Student Edition from Digital River. Microsoft acknowledged the problem, and has now come through with the ISO file you so desperately need.

If you were affected by this problem, here are your solutions:

Click the link for direct links to the ISO and instructions.

Don't know if it's the 32 or 64 bit version though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

madprocess posted:

Have him run PC-Decrapifier, it'll be a lot easier for him and it will accomplish the same purpose.

If for some godforsaken reason it fails, it's not difficult to manually remove that poo poo. Tedious, but not difficult.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

I've heard some people say the Anytime Upgrade just unlocks/installs components.

I thought it was supposed to work that way, but when I dropped the money for a Vista Anytime Upgrade (Business to Ultimate), my experience was nothing like that.

I should have clarified, my experience was for Win 7 and not Vista.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Not sure if this has been answered or not, tried to skim the thread but drat it's a loving huge thread.

I'm on RC 7100, and back when the $50 upgrade was available, naturally I ordered it. And now come to find out there is really no way to go from RC to RTM Home Premium. I still have my Vista disc. Will I be able to reinstall Vista over the RC, then upgrade to the RTM Win 7?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
To chime in on the Anytime Upgrade talk in Windows 7, here's how it worked for me. Bought a Home Premium for 50 bucks when the pre-order was first announced and installed that on launch day. Later found out that my school's MSDNAA got updated and I put in a Windows 7 Pro key in. All it did was download/unlock the extra features, a reboot later and I was in Windows 7 Pro.

Neo-Reaper
Jul 31, 2006

tronester posted:

I bought a desktop preloaded with 32-bit Vista last year from Dell. Not only was there barely any crap (mainly a Dell Automated Support Center that was easy to uninstall), they provided a base install disk for Vista instead of one of those horrible restore disks.

Not sure if this is true in all cases, but they seem to be a lot better about these things with desktops than they are laptops.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Avarcirwen posted:

Has anyone come across any tools that can be used to easily create a Windows 7 image that can be deployed to multiple computers? I've tried to use the WAIK but it's just far to complicated, my ideal would be a tool that I could just point at a reference machine and have it create an automated install based off of it's settings.
G4L or Clonezilla are free tools can create a clone of the partition or the entire hard drive. You have to create individual images for each machine if you want different drivers already installed for different machines, although Windows 7 seems to support a large amount of hardware without needing drivers installed.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 29, 2009

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

Yaos posted:

G4L or Clonezilla are free tools can create a clone of the partition or the entire hard drive. You have to create individual images for each machine if you want different drivers already installed for different machines, although Windows 7 seems to support a large amount of hardware without needing drivers installed.

I'll check them out, thanks!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've installed 7Stacks and created a couple of stacks...but nothing new is showing on my taskbar - what am I missing? There's no documentation on the site as far as I can see, and no new files in the folders I chose to be stacks. It must be something really simple...

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

krushgroove posted:

I've installed 7Stacks and created a couple of stacks...but nothing new is showing on my taskbar - what am I missing? There's no documentation on the site as far as I can see, and no new files in the folders I chose to be stacks. It must be something really simple...

You have to get 7Stacks to make an Icon on the desktop, then pin it to the taskbar. You can then delete the desktop icon

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Ok I've read the beginning and end of this thread and Google'd it but I can't find out if I can upgrade my OEM Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Windows 7 Professional 32-bit without having to do a clean install.

The Upgrade Advisor and some Googling suggest that I will have to do a clean install while the OP and a couple of posts in this thread suggest I will be able to do an upgrade instead.

So what's the truth?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I would go for Clonzilla first for any imaging program. I've used G4U, G4L, Acronis, Ghost, etc. Clonezilla (plus GParted) is where it's at.

Oh, if Anytime Upgrade works in 7, then good. It was such a retarded gimmick in Vista, Microsoft gave me a full copy of Vista Ultimate for free when I called and bitched.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 29, 2009

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My mp3 players are boned since I did a clean install. My 1st Gen Zune 30 and a Creative Zen both give me a "Dependency service or group failed to start" error.

Any ideas?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Stuntman Mike posted:

You have to get 7Stacks to make an Icon on the desktop, then pin it to the taskbar. You can then delete the desktop icon

ah, cool - I wasn't actually creating the stacks. I ended up making folders in the 7stacks program folder where I copied various shortcuts to, seems to work OK. It's just not very clear in the (non-existant) instructions what you have to do :)

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I just realized something. I'm going to have to get used to using a new shortcut key to open explorer in Win7. Most of the time when I'm opening explorer it's to interact with my documents/media in some way, so opening to the Libraries 'folder' serves as a great starting point. I'm assuming there's no way to change the starting location when you use Win+E, so I'm going to have to train my brain to use Win+3 to open explorer instead.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I placed on order over the phone through the Microsoft Store and will be getting a nice shiny copy of Win7 Professional delivered to me within the next week, but holy drat has the process been needlessly painful. The lady who took my order simply couldn't get my shipping/billing information entered properly. I took the time to make sure that it was and when I received a confirmation email the shipping address was STILL wrong. The state Honolulu is in is HI, not AL. She was either as dumb as a sack of bricks or my cell phone connection was crappy.

Fortunately I caught this right away because MS sends their confirmation emails out lightning-fast. I told her to cancel the order and start a new one (which fortunately did have everything entered correctly), but the original, hosed-up order still hasn't been canceled and I'm currently waiting on hold to get this whole mess sorted out.

If anyone lives at my non-existent address in non-existent Honolulu, Alabama, you may be getting a free copy of Windows 7!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

StickFigs posted:

Ok I've read the beginning and end of this thread and Google'd it but I can't find out if I can upgrade my OEM Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Windows 7 Professional 32-bit without having to do a clean install.

The Upgrade Advisor and some Googling suggest that I will have to do a clean install while the OP and a couple of posts in this thread suggest I will be able to do an upgrade instead.

So what's the truth?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

Answer: NO.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

chizad posted:

I just realized something. I'm going to have to get used to using a new shortcut key to open explorer in Win7. Most of the time when I'm opening explorer it's to interact with my documents/media in some way, so opening to the Libraries 'folder' serves as a great starting point. I'm assuming there's no way to change the starting location when you use Win+E, so I'm going to have to train my brain to use Win+3 to open explorer instead.
Amusingly, Win+E did open the Libraries window in the public beta... but people hated it, so they changed it back.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Well that's lovely.

Here's a bit summing it up that should go in the OP:

32-bit versions can not be upgraded to 64-bit versions.
Vista Home (Basic or Premium) can only upgrade to 7 Home Premium or Ultimate.
Vista Business can only upgrade to 7 Professional or Ultimate.
Vista Ultimate can only upgrade to 7 Ultimate.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 5, 2023

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Well that's lovely.

Here's a bit summing it up that should go in the OP:

32-bit versions can not be upgraded to 64-bit versions.
Vista Home (Basic or Premium) can only upgrade to 7 Home Premium or Ultimate.
Vista Business can only upgrade to 7 Professional or Ultimate.
Vista Ultimate can only upgrade to 7 Ultimate.

Can I clean install an upgrade copy of Windows 7 to any copy of XP or Vista? For example, 32-bit Vista Business (Retail) to 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade)? This isn't really clear in the OP either.

EDIT: drat, didn't see the post above me. I've never had to deal with upgrade licenses in the past, so I'm unfamiliar with the situations that would allow me to validate an upgrade copy.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 29, 2009

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Zonekeeper posted:

Can I clean install an upgrade copy of Windows 7 to any copy of XP or Vista? For example, 32-bit Vista Business (Retail) to 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade)?

YES

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Ok well my school only gives me Windows 7 Professional for free so I guess I'm not upgrading until I get another hard drive.

Unless, is it possible for me to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business THEN to Windows 7 Pro without doing a clean install along the way?

EDIT: Or is it possible to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium and then upgrade to Windows 7 Professional if I only have a Windows 7 Pro Key?

Johann Gambolputty
Jul 6, 2006
Can I do a clean install with an upgrade serial if I have a full version DVD of windows 7? I assume so, considering I don't need to provide the serial at installation.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

StickFigs posted:

Ok well my school only gives me Windows 7 Professional for free so I guess I'm not upgrading until I get another hard drive.

Unless, is it possible for me to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business THEN to Windows 7 Pro without doing a clean install along the way?

EDIT: Or is it possible to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium and then upgrade to Windows 7 Professional if I only have a Windows 7 Pro Key?

Just clean install if you have the space on your hard drive. All your old stuff will get moved to a Windows.old folder as long as you don't format your drive during installation. Of course, it's ALWAYS a good idea to back up your data before doing anything like this. Whether you wait for another hard drive or not is your call.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Anytime Upgrade a special type of key, or can you use it with a normal Upgrade key?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I got my copy of win7 pro today! Thank god, took long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
What would be the best way to remote desktop to my Windows 7 from Windows XP?

I like to connect from my university's computers (running Windows XP) to my laptop (running Windows 7) in case I forget a document or something.