Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

bootleg robot posted:

Does anyone else have this issue when an executable is selected in the explorer:

I love Windows 7 a lot, but this icon problem is ruining my desktop experience!

Yes & it drives me more than a little insane as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

madprocess posted:

It runs with no key for up to 120 days if you do rearming.

Doesn't sound too bad, thanks.

I'm tempted to just buy the student offer key but it seems like its only for upgrades, right?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

drcru posted:

I'm tempted to just buy the student offer key but it seems like its only for upgrades, right?

I'm 51% sure it's a full copy. I got a licence for professional from Digital River and did a clean install over the RC (which was Ultimate so I'm guessing shouldn't be upgradable to professional). Activation went without a hitch. Other forums also mention that it is a full copy and customer services have confirmed this with them.

Or to be on the safe side ring the number that has been mentioned a bajillion times in this thread for a $30 + shipping full retail copy direct from Microsoft.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

drcru posted:

Last night I used the key I got from digital river to validate a full clean install of 7 pro on my netbook with no issues.

Granted, I had already done a clean install of 7 a few days ago, but the key that I got worked for validating/activating it.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Tivac posted:

Yes & it drives me more than a little insane as well.

It seems like for a lot of .exe's at least for me, they default to 'open in windows media center' for that dialogue. I'm not sure how it grabs icons but its certainly messed up.

I think maybe it can only use icons from programs set in the 'default programs' menu.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

c0burn posted:

Keep Aero on and untick transparency?

Better, thanks, but I'm not fond of the gradients in the bar. Better than either of the two options, but ideally, a one-colour black titlebar with perhaps some smooth, gradient edges or whatever would be best. Similar to OS X but in black, dare I say.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Now that I've (finally) upgraded my work D830 to 4GB ram, I think it's time to load 7 x64. Is there anything I should know or watch out for?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

PopeOnARope posted:

Is there anything I should know or watch out for?

Find the drivers for your network device before you install the new version. I've installed various versions of Windows on various machines, and I need to manually get the network device driver with another computer probably >50% of the time.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

How the gently caress do we know you bought a license?

I don't know man, maybe you could've read the thread where I said so less than a page before I posted?

The Gasmask posted:

You sure as hell aren't willing to do any of the (absolutely minor) legwork to find what you claim you need, and a number of people have already told you how to find it. We're not babysitters, we're not here to hold your hand in the big bad world of torrents. And the thing is, by torrenting it, you're seeding it to people that most definitely don't have a key and aren't downloading it "legitimately", so cut the "I'm not doing anything illegal!" poo poo, because it's not true.
:supaburn:

wintermuteCF posted:

I don't know how much easier I could have made it.
No man it's all good, I found it straight away. That's kind of why I quoted you and said cheers and then thanked you again later on in my post. It was frustrating to have wasted 7 hours or so on useless downloads and you gave me exactly what I needed so thanks again.

Sorry if I got some panties in a twist by not knowing exactly what to do, but I did read the OP, put plenty of effort in, and only took the advice that I was given, so maybe a couple of you should chill out. Thanks for all your help. :)

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Wow, are you retarded or just really loving lazy?

I've been using W7 since the public beta and I never had any driver issues but since I installed W7 on my new laptop there have been a few nagging issues. It's an HP with the quicklaunch buttons and no matter what drivers I download from HP the functionality still isn't there. It allows me to change the volume but not adjust the base or launch media center. Also my track pads scroll section doesn't work. Has anyone else with HP computers had issues like this? They aren't big issues just things I would like to work.

I installed 7 on a friends HP and ran in to the same problem with the buttons. I installed the vista driver but W7 flags it as incomparable and stops it from running. All-in-all I think HP just makes terrible drivers.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

nrr posted:

I don't know man, maybe you could've read the thread where I said so less than a page before I posted?

Guess what? I own a Ferrari and a Porsche and a million dollar mansion and Microsoft! And don't you give me any poo poo, because I said so and it must be true!

I believe you, but a thousand people have said exactly what you have and pirated it, and defensively talking poo poo about people who won't help you really doesn't make you look honest. It doesn't matter that this is a Microsoft product. Actually, I think it matters a little more, because their poo poo is some of the most pirated software around. Hell, they even have a multi-level, how to identify bootleg copies, from pro to sharpie'd CDs section on their site.

And you already got pretty direct responses on how to find it, even before a link was posted. So all in all, you're a huge human being.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 31, 2009

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've got a driver problem with HP as well- but this is for a printer. I have a deskjet 3650 that I have hooked up to a laptop that runs XP. I can see the printer on the network, but when I attempt to connect to it, it says it can't find the driver. Okay, fine. Windows update runs and says IT can't find a driver. Any attempt to manually use the XP drivers (the most recent version by HP) just results in a generic "Could not connect to printer" message.

Here's the weird part, though. If I connect the printer to this laptop by USB, Windows update finds the driver in about 2 seconds and I can use it just fine.

Ideas?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Drox posted:

Here's the weird part, though. If I connect the printer to this laptop by USB, Windows update finds the driver in about 2 seconds and I can use it just fine.

Ideas?

The drivers that you've gotten for 7 don't work after it's back on the laptop? You've probably tried this, but find out which drivers Windows Update uses and link to those when you get the option to manually load a driver. I'm not sure where they'd be (besides in system32), but it's probably stored in a temp dir after you download it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PopeOnARope posted:

Now that I've (finally) upgraded my work D830 to 4GB ram, I think it's time to load 7 x64. Is there anything I should know or watch out for?

That's exactly my setup. All of the hardware installed either with the OS, or through Windows update right away. My Broadcom WiFi and wired NIC installed during the OS install. No drivers needed to be loaded.

If you're running a centrino-based one, then you shouldn't have any issues, either, as the Intel NICs are supported out of the box, too.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Gasmask posted:

The drivers that you've gotten for 7 don't work after it's back on the laptop? You've probably tried this, but find out which drivers Windows Update uses and link to those when you get the option to manually load a driver. I'm not sure where they'd be (besides in system32), but it's probably stored in a temp dir after you download it.

I'm not sure where to start looking. Any idea where I could find out what the driver might be named?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

Guess what? I own a Ferrari and a Porsche and a million dollar mansion and Microsoft! And don't you give me any poo poo, because I said so and it must be true!

I believe you, but a thousand people have said exactly what you have and pirated it, and defensively talking poo poo about people who won't help you really doesn't make you look honest. It doesn't matter that this is a Microsoft product. Actually, I think it matters a little more, because their poo poo is some of the most pirated software around. Hell, they even have a multi-level, how to identify bootleg copies, from pro to sharpie'd CDs section on their site.

And you already got pretty direct responses on how to find it, even before a link was posted. So all in all, you're a huge human being.

hahaha what the gently caress is wrong with you? I was saying thankyou for the responses, that I had got it, and that I don't think anyone should be worried about getting banned because I was a legit user looking for something that was posted in the OP. Maybe it's tough actually reading posts from all the way up there on your high horse, but either way you should probably calm down and shut the gently caress up.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's exactly my setup. All of the hardware installed either with the OS, or through Windows update right away. My Broadcom WiFi and wired NIC installed during the OS install. No drivers needed to be loaded.

If you're running a centrino-based one, then you shouldn't have any issues, either, as the Intel NICs are supported out of the box, too.

It still doesn't hurt to have the drivers for your NIC/WiFi adapter available just in case.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Do people really still think that downloading torrents of windows is illegal

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just curious, is there already a hacked bootleg pirate version of Windows 7? Does it some how bypass activation?

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

nrr posted:

:supaburn:

No man it's all good, I found it straight away. That's kind of why I quoted you and said cheers and then thanked you again later on in my post. It was frustrating to have wasted 7 hours or so on useless downloads and you gave me exactly what I needed so thanks again.

Sorry if I got some panties in a twist by not knowing exactly what to do, but I did read the OP, put plenty of effort in, and only took the advice that I was given, so maybe a couple of you should chill out. Thanks for all your help. :)

I'm going to be mature and admit that I misunderstood you, and for that I apologize. I thought you were being sarcastic, when it turns out you were just being grateful. Being the internet, I failed to give you the benefit of the doubt, because most people are jerks, so I just assumed you were one too. It was also a little difficult to tell from your post, but it sounded like you were having trouble finding the file, so we figured you were inept or intentionally obtuse. Again, I apologize.

And the more I think about it, while 98% err, 99.999% of torrent traffic is illegal, I fail to see how providing something that Microsoft is also making available (that is, the ISO's of the OS) would constitute enabling piracy. If anything, we're doing them a favour by seeding that ISO for people that are unable to download it directly from them (like, say, nrr here).

End even if you are, that's exactly why Microsoft has, uh, licence keys and activation and all that rigamorale in the first place.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just curious, is there already a hacked bootleg pirate version of Windows 7? Does it some how bypass activation?

There are a handful of loaders and patchers available, but I can't speak to how well they end up working. They've been around since a day or two after the RTM .isos were available, maybe before for all I know.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

edit: nevermind - I still don't know how that happened but I fixed things.

wheres my arm fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 31, 2009

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drox posted:

I'm not sure where to start looking. Any idea where I could find out what the driver might be named?

Well, I found the driver, however, when I try to use it to connect wirelessly to the printer, I get the same "Cannot connect to the printer" message.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

nrr posted:

Thanks for all your help. :)

just make it so people can email you and we wouldn't be in this mess.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What is the best (or at least good) virtual drive program for Windows 7? I used to use Daemon Tools all the time, is it still a solid program?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Daemon tools still works fine for me (on Vista though).

I just tried the number but they closed at 1AM EST :(.

I guess I'll try to buy the Pro version after I clear 50GB of space on my external.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

abagofcheetos posted:

What is the best (or at least good) virtual drive program for Windows 7? I used to use Daemon Tools all the time, is it still a solid program?

Daemon Tools has finally been updated to work with the release version of windows 7.
Aside from pestering you to install the ask.com toolbar it's still a decent program.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

ufarn posted:

Better, thanks, but I'm not fond of the gradients in the bar. Better than either of the two options, but ideally, a one-colour black titlebar with perhaps some smooth, gradient edges or whatever would be best. Similar to OS X but in black, dare I say.

Maybe try this? http://garbanzox.deviantart.com/art/AeroPlain-for-Windows-7-125999931

Spittin Wheelie
Nov 4, 2005

Spittin is a nasty habbit...
I just installed 7 on an old laptop...
Sony Vaio PCG-K45
ATI RADEON IGP 345M graphics

I'm probably an idiot for asking, but are there any fixes to getting graphics to display properly in 7 on old graphic cards like this?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is there anywhere where that I can download the Windows 7 version of MS paint to previous versions of windows?

Having it would be a dream beyond my crappy Windows XP paint.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

Virtual CloneDrive by SlySoft is pretty good. It's free, there's no adware, and it installed without a reboot on my machine.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That's awesome. Much better now.

Evil Home Stereo
Jun 26, 2008
Am I missing something here, or are some of Nvidia's download links for windows 7 drivers broken?

I need this driver in particular: http://www.nvidia.com/content/Drive...=us&type=Quadro

In the meantime, I'll be using babby-resolution.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably stick with Daemon Tools but CloneDrive does look intriguing.

Spittin Wheelie posted:

Sony Vaio PCG-K45

I'm probably an idiot for asking, but are there any fixes to getting graphics to display properly in 7 on old graphic cards like this?
ATI stopped updating their drivers past XP for their real old cards, but you might be able to find a workaround. I installed 7 on a PC with a Radeon 9200 and I had to follow these instructions I found just to get it to work right:

quote:

i finally got it working. the guy who wrote we need to install the win2000 driver was right.
these were my exact steps:
keep the original driver you have (the one with the blue screen error)
1) download the windows 2000 driver (not windows ME, like i did at first)(and not the program, just the driver "option 2, display driver")
2) create a shortcut of your system32 folder on your desktop (just to make it easier for you)
3) close all applications you don't need
4) right-click on the driver and go to properties> compatibility > check the first box (run this program in compatibility mode for) and select windows xp service pack 2> apply> close.
5) run the program as administrator
6) after install, don't restart. to go system32 (that shortcut)
7) cut the " ati2dvag.dll " and paste to desktop (you NEED it afterwards)
8) log off, and log back on (the screen will go black) you won't see anything cause the monitor can't display anything.
9) press start> right> right> up> up> enter. this will restart your computer. when it loads up, the graphics will look like garbage. DON'T WORRY!
10) cut and paste the ati2dvag.dll file back to system32, and log off and on again.
11) this time it'll look proper.
12) restart or shutdown, it'll get rid of the blue screen problem and it'll run smoothly.
Good luck finding a way for yours!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Imapanda posted:

Is there anywhere where that I can download the Windows 7 version of MS paint to previous versions of windows?

Having it would be a dream beyond my crappy Windows XP paint.

Probably not; most things that come with a given version of Windows are dependent on APIs that aren't necessarily in previous versions.

You COULD, however, grab Paint.NET and see if that's close enough to Win7 Paint to work for you.

You might see PaintRibbon around, but while it gets closer to the look, the functionality is lacking.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

illicitporpoises posted:

Virtual CloneDrive by SlySoft is pretty good. It's free, there's no adware, and it installed without a reboot on my machine.

Wish I saw this before what I just had to do for new Daemon Tools. Had to run regedit and delete some SPTD entries after the new version wouldn't install properly. Multiple reboots and finally working. I do like the little new gadget tho. :unsmith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Piano posted:

Do people really still think that downloading torrents of windows is illegal

Technically, it's both a civil and criminal offense

Will anything happen if you do it? Probably not

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Dogen posted:

Technically, it's both a civil and criminal offense

Will anything happen if you do it? Probably not

Technically, without derailing this thread into a copyright and IP discussion, downloading or possession of digital content is only illegal if you don't have the rights to that content.

Which, if you own a key for Windows, makes it legal. It's only if you don't have a key that makes you be in trouble.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Spittin Wheelie posted:

Sony Vaio PCG-K45

What you need to do is track down some modded vista drivers, which will run fine on win7. I forgot who made them, but someone added the hardware id to the driver files that allowed laptop video cards to be supported in the drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wintermuteCF posted:

Technically, without derailing this thread into a copyright and IP discussion, downloading or possession of digital content is only illegal if you don't have the rights to that content.

Which, if you own a key for Windows, makes it legal. It's only if you don't have a key that makes you be in trouble.

Downloading an ISO of Windows 7 from an unauthorized torrent is copyright infringement and is illegal any way you slice it.