Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Have you tried Windows Media Center

No I haven't but looks like I should.

I didn't realise it was standard with Win 7 home premium. The last windows OS I was familiar with was XP SP1 so I missed it all together.

Does the EPG and channels etc work outside of the USA?

Repo Man posted:

Windows media Center is far better than the WinTV application that comes with Hauppauge TV cards.

My card is a Dvico, if that makes a difference. So far this card has been a white elephant for me, the machine I bought it for was too slow for HD channels and my next pc was a low profile case and it didn't fit.

Pocket Billiards fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm looking at buying a couple of new computers for myself, most likely Dell PCs; I'd like them to support Windows XP Mode, but I'm having a hell of a time determining what PCs Dell sells that support it. I mainly want to know if the BIOS "hardware VT" option is actually there or not; I have an HP laptop whose processor would support the feature, but the BIOS doesn't have the enable option. Is there a master list for motherboard and OEM PCs that support the feature? If there isn't, there really should be, I'd be half-tempted to put something together...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

univbee posted:

I'm looking at buying a couple of new computers for myself, most likely Dell PCs; I'd like them to support Windows XP Mode, but I'm having a hell of a time determining what PCs Dell sells that support it. I mainly want to know if the BIOS "hardware VT" option is actually there or not; I have an HP laptop whose processor would support the feature, but the BIOS doesn't have the enable option. Is there a master list for motherboard and OEM PCs that support the feature? If there isn't, there really should be, I'd be half-tempted to put something together...

Call Dell and ask them for help. Their sales reps are generally pretty knowledgeable.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
So what the hell is up with my windows media player window never opening in the place I left it? I tried that thing with opening an mp3 file, to no avail.

Whenever I open it from the taskbar, the window is positioned one taskbar-width to the right of the taskbar where I want it, and when I open a file, it's buried under the left-docked taskbar.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Parachute Underwear posted:

I can't wait till installers start adding a "Pin to Taskbar" option under "Create shortcut on Desktop/Start Menu".

I think they intentionally left out a programmatic way of doing that.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

kode54 posted:

I think they intentionally left out a programmatic way of doing that.
%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

As expected, it's not much more than an extension of the old Quick Launch bar. Simply dropping a shortcut in there doesn't seem to work, but you'll find shortcuts for your pinned programs in there.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm using the included backup software to make a weekly backup and image of my drives.

Does this system work like Time Machine on OS X where you can replace an individual lost file, as opposed to simply restoring everything at once?

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Super Dude posted:

Call Dell and ask them for help. Their sales reps are generally pretty knowledgeable.

Except for the one who told me that the quality of your video card directly affects your internet speed. She was a crack whore.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Upgraded from XP to 7 yesterday and am really enjoying it, which is weird because I couldn't stand Vista on my laptop. But it just feels a lot better and the Super Menu is really great and looks really awesome.

It found all the drivers (video, sound, wifi, network) for my laptop where XP had nothing at all, this was without an internet connection so I'm really impressed with drivers.

The only thing that does not work, is that whenever I let me laptop sleep (or close the lid or whatever) and wake it up, the wifi is dead. Using the physical (touch) button for the wifi adaptor doesn't help at all. I have to go through the control panel into network adaptors and disable / enable the wireless card for it to work.

This is on an Acer Timeline 4810T.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 5, 2023

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Oh, and since I skipped Vista, is there any article on the internet that outlines everything that is new on 7 comming from XP ?

I'm guessing in 8 years and two full OS versions a lot is new, but I'm either getting articles from "XP to Vista" with lots of UAC bashing, or "Vista to 7" articles where I'm sure lots of things are missed.

I definately know I'm not the only one that has gone from XP to 7, in fact I know 4 people with 7 and all of them came from XP. There must be some good reading somewhere to know exactly what's new and how things work differently ?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Super Dude posted:

I've found quite the opposite, especially for something like this which is pretty much undocumented anywhere.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

m2pt5 posted:

As expected, it's not much more than an extension of the old Quick Launch bar. Simply dropping a shortcut in there doesn't seem to work, but you'll find shortcuts for your pinned programs in there.

I think this is a good thing. Just about everyone started using quicklaunch as a standard icon location basically cluttering it for no reason. I could see programs installing a ebay taskbar icon to get a quick buck if they left it open as an example.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Windows Media Center works with my HDTV with no tuner at all and runs 10x better than that FusionHDTV shite ever did. I'm very happy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Yossarko posted:

The only thing that does not work, is that whenever I let me laptop sleep (or close the lid or whatever) and wake it up, the wifi is dead. Using the physical (touch) button for the wifi adaptor doesn't help at all. I have to go through the control panel into network adaptors and disable / enable the wireless card for it to work.

If you go into the Control Panel>Device Manager section, look for your wireless network card in there. The card itself may have options that put it to sleep when the lid is closed on your laptop. If it does, change it so that the card is never put in sleep mode or turned off entirely.

If that doesn't work, go into Control Panel>Power Options, and then go to Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings, and in there you'll find an option for the power saving mode of wireless adapters. Change that to Maximum Performance and that might stop the card going to sleep.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Pocket Billiards posted:

I got Windows 7 64 bit on a new machine and everything is working great. First thing I did was try and recreate a couple of the niggling UAC and other problems I had with Vista and it all worked fine.

The only issue I have is with my 2 year old Dvico HDTV card. I've installed it and the drivers from the internet without issue, but the bundled software FusionHDTV shits the bed completely and is unusable. It scans the channels without issue, but will crash constantly when watching tv and crashes everytime the channel is changed.

Anyone else using HDTV software under Win7 64?

Edit:

FusionHDTV has been updated
http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/Eng/Download/SoftwareDVBT.aspx

The website was timing out when I tried to look it up previously. I'm still looking for a decent viewer that works under Win7 64 as an alternative.

I got an HDTV tuner back in 2007 or something. I now have EIGHT HDTV tuners for my computers. With all the free over-the-air HDTV and ClearQAM over my cable, and the low cost of getting an HDTV tuner (several of them were only $29.99 from Newegg), I figured I may as well make sure I can watch HDTV on all systems.

I swear by Easy HDTV.

It's the best ATSC TV Viewer I've used (some issues with ClearQAM).

Windows Media Center is about 1000% overkill and just blows if you want to open a window every now and then to "watch TV" (it's fine as a DVR). Slow load, slow transition to Live TV, messy interface, slow changing from windowed to full screen (something I may do dozens of times during a program). Plus, on lower end systems Media Center is almost unusable, whereas Easy HDTV uses next to ZERO system resources when running. Windows Media Center is unusable on my older systems, whereas Easy HDTV opens and runs just fine.

Easy HDTV is just a TV window. No buffering to disk. No live pause. No cluttered screen every time the mouse cursor passes over it. No long transition to full screen and back to a windows.

Perfect for just leaving open on the side of the Desktop to be able to watch TV while doing other stuff.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you go into the Control Panel>Device Manager section, look for your wireless network card in there. The card itself may have options that put it to sleep when the lid is closed on your laptop. If it does, change it so that the card is never put in sleep mode or turned off entirely.

If that doesn't work, go into Control Panel>Power Options, and then go to Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings, and in there you'll find an option for the power saving mode of wireless adapters. Change that to Maximum Performance and that might stop the card going to sleep.

Thanks, I'll try this !

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EDIT: NVM

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Didn't see any info on this in the OP or the last few pages, so I'll ask here on the last page of a huge thread.

I used to create Ctrl + Alt + [some key] shortcuts to various folders on various hard drives and put them in a folder called "Desktop Shortcuts" placed in my start menu. What this allowed me to do (in XP anyway) was create hotkeys to folders that were not actually on my desktop but were accessible from anywhere. Things like Ctrl + Alt + D to open Windows Explorer to my Downloads directory.

Creating shortcuts directly on the desktop and assigning shortcut keys for them seems to work, but the moment I move these shortcuts to somewhere else (be it to the start menu, to a folder in my Favorites/Links directory, or whereever), the shortcuts cease to work. Even more strange, is if I move them BACK directly to the desktop where they worked initially, they stop working.

Any ideas on how to get this or some similar functionality out of Windows 7? I'm enjoying the upgrade so far, but this is one of the few interface issues I've come across that I can't seem to find an alternative for.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

There's gotta be at least some smarts behind it. I had MAME32 installed in just c:\mame and the program pinned to the start bar. Later, I manually moved everything to c:\programs\mame (for the sake of cleaning up) but didn't change any shortcuts or anything. Clicked on the pinned item and it churned for an extra second or two, but it did start. Further starts were no problem at all

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Cuddly Coach posted:

There's gotta be at least some smarts behind it. I had MAME32 installed in just c:\mame and the program pinned to the start bar. Later, I manually moved everything to c:\programs\mame (for the sake of cleaning up) but didn't change any shortcuts or anything. Clicked on the pinned item and it churned for an extra second or two, but it did start. Further starts were no problem at all

That sounds like it just didn't find the linked file and searched and found it somewhere else, and changed where the shortcut pointed to. That's been around (in some form) since Win95.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cuddly Coach posted:

That's how all shortcuts have always worked. If you move the target of a shortcut windows attempts to automatically fix the shortcut.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

That's how all shortcuts have always worked. If you move the target of a shortcut windows attempts to automatically fix the shortcut.

"Attempts" being the keyword. Yeah it's supposed to work like that but it never seemed to. Usually just left a shortcut that went nowhere and a busted icon :(

I really like that a lot of the little things appear to have gotten the polish they need and now they just work

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.

Essobie posted:

I used to create Ctrl + Alt + [some key] shortcuts to various folders on various hard drives and put them in a folder called "Desktop Shortcuts" placed in my start menu. What this allowed me to do (in XP anyway) was create hotkeys to folders that were not actually on my desktop but were accessible from anywhere. Things like Ctrl + Alt + D to open Windows Explorer to my Downloads directory.

You can pin folders to the explorer icon in your taskbar. When you drag a folder there it gets added to a list that shows up when you right click on the icon.
So then it's right click + left click instead of Ctrl + Alt + something, but the idea is similar enough.

vvv Yeah, that's a pretty weird requirement.

Lacc fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 9, 2009

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Not really since... you know, the idea of a "keyboard shortcut" is that you use the keyboard to use the shortcut. If I wanted to make it easy to open something with the mouse, I'd just leave it on the desktop to double click on... or re-enable the quicklaunch bar and put shortcuts there.

Edit: \/\/\/ Sweet. I didn't try that. I'll give it a shot when I get home this evening. Thanks!

Essobie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 9, 2009

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Essobie posted:

Not really since... you know, the idea of a "keyboard shortcut" is that you use the keyboard to use the shortcut. If I wanted to make it easy to open something with the mouse, I'd just leave it on the desktop to double click on... or re-enable the quicklaunch bar and put shortcuts there.

It seems moving the folder shortcut to the start menu disables the shortcut key, but it works again if you delete the existing Shortcut Key, hit Apply, then set it again.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Footboy posted:

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, but has anyone else who went through win741 not received their DVD from DigitalRiver yet? I'm starting to worry.

Don't worry, just download an ISO. The money you paid was effectively for the licence.

EDIT:: Of course it's not an excuse to not expect the backup media that you paid for.

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 9, 2009

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Didn't get mine either. :argh:

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Footboy posted:

Here's the skinny on that, from Microsoft.

You know, I keep seeing references to Aero Shake, but I can't seem to get my Windows 7 PC to actually do it. Was it removed for some reason, or did I disable it without realizing it?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Bobulus posted:

You know, I keep seeing references to Aero Shake, but I can't seem to get my Windows 7 PC to actually do it. Was it removed for some reason, or did I disable it without realizing it?
You have to shake hard for a few seconds. It takes more effort than it's worth.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Dominoes posted:

It's really for tablet PCs, like a lot of the new UI features are. If you ever get a chance to use Windows 7 on a tablet or regular computer with a touchscreen monitor, you will be blown away by how much better Windows 7 makes it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Speaking of which, my wife has a Dell Latitude XT she got from her school (she's a med student and they all get laptops 'n ipod touches 'n poo poo.) They put Vista on it when she got it, and software-wise, it feels like the poor little thing can barely handle it. It's got a nifty little flip around screen so it can turn into a tablet (which she uses a *lot*), so you folks talking about 7 on a computer like that makes me wonder.

Is 7 going to be any lighter-weight/easier on the computer than Vista? Or is it actually just the case that this computer is going to be underpowered for anything we find?

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Is there any way to get rid of this default "blue" color in 7 ?

I've changed the Superbar to be a translucent black color, and it looks awesome with my dark wallpaper, but it's still drawing bright blue select rectangles.

And I just installed Office 2007 and the applications are all XP baby blue, I think it looks horrible (especially Outlook) and I'd much rather have a grey or beige color that goes with everything.

Possible ?

Click here for the full 1366x768 image.

Yossarko fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 9, 2009

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Yossarko posted:

Is there any way to get rid of this default "blue" color in 7 ?
It may only be partially what you want, but - if you click the Windows Logo thing in Office 2007 stuff and go to "options" there's a way for you to change the color scheme to black.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

So I installed 64bit 7 on a laptop that was running 32bit Vista using the custom install method. I've found the windows.old file for all of the programs that were installed under Vista, but when I actually try to run any of these programs, I get a system error. Note that everything else is working perfectly in 7 except for when I try and use the programs in the windows.old file. Is there some sort of trick to doing this or do I need to delete them and reinstall these programs manually?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Bad Munki posted:

Speaking of which, my wife has a Dell Latitude XT she got from her school (she's a med student and they all get laptops 'n ipod touches 'n poo poo.) They put Vista on it when she got it, and software-wise, it feels like the poor little thing can barely handle it. It's got a nifty little flip around screen so it can turn into a tablet (which she uses a *lot*), so you folks talking about 7 on a computer like that makes me wonder.

Is 7 going to be any lighter-weight/easier on the computer than Vista? Or is it actually just the case that this computer is going to be underpowered for anything we find?

7 is definitely a lot faster. It'll run good on an old Pentium 3 computer as long as you stick 1 GB of RAM in it even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

Dominoes posted:

Try Windows+Home. It's the same thing as Aero Shake but actually usable outside of tablet PCs.