Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

gibbed posted:

Why would you run Quake Live in emulation mode, isn't it actively being developed / supported by iD?

To test how full-screen games work in XP mode without having to go through the hassle of installing a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Capnbigboobies posted:

To test how full-screen games work in XP mode without having to go through the hassle of installing a game.

That's retarded, you should have done something like the original starcraft. It's for old poo poo, like the guy asking said he wants games from 95/98 to run.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Stugene posted:

I think it might be a problem with ZoneAlarm, but the program's so loving fickle when you want to actually change a tiny setting that I can never be sure.

Jesus loving christ, why do people insist on continuing to use ZoneAlarm?

:bang:

99% that that's the source of your troubles, just like every other time ZA is installed on any other system ever.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

PaulC posted:

The functionality you want is kind of dumb, the task bar is designed for programs. Think it through, if you've got windows explorer pinned on one side and your shortcut pinned somewhere else, when you open that shortcut, which one expands? Both?

Just use a toolbar or something

I don't think it's dumb at all. In XP I used RocketDock like this. I had it hidden until mouseover on the bottom of the screen right above the taskbar. I had links on the left to common apps like my browser, itunes, and a few games, and on the right side I had direct links to both my hard drives, my program files, and the control panel, and it was the most convenient setup I've ever used. I could get literally anywhere on my computer in like 2-3 clicks max.

I just want the same kind of setup with Windows 7, and if I could bypass RocketDock and make the taskbar do what I had it doing in XP, well that would be pretty ideal.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

fishmech posted:

That's retarded, you should have done something like the original starcraft. It's for old poo poo, like the guy asking said he wants games from 95/98 to run.

Just to confirm: Quake runs fine in XP mode running a dosbox. Yes, inside an emulator running in an emulator.

However it got a bit laggy at 1280x1024 so if thats going to be an issues for you I can understand as it could break the authentic experience of software quake.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Grawl posted:

Think you can post a bit more than just this amazing amount of details?

Such as? I guess I was wondering if there were any known problems with divx on 7.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

GreatGreen posted:

I don't think it's dumb at all. In XP I used RocketDock like this. I had it hidden until mouseover on the bottom of the screen right above the taskbar. I had links on the left to common apps like my browser, itunes, and a few games, and on the right side I had direct links to both my hard drives, my program files, and the control panel, and it was the most convenient setup I've ever used. I could get literally anywhere on my computer in like 2-3 clicks max.

I just want the same kind of setup with Windows 7, and if I could bypass RocketDock and make the taskbar do what I had it doing in XP, well that would be pretty ideal.

The taskbar is not a dock; it isn't designed to have shortcuts that don't correspond to windows. Your choices are: (1) add a link to a toolbar as has been mentioned before, (2) go back to rocket dock, or (3) deal with the one extra mouse click and have individual locations pinned to the explorer jump list.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

kapinga posted:

The taskbar is not a dock; it isn't designed to have shortcuts that don't correspond to windows. Your choices are: (1) add a link to a toolbar as has been mentioned before, (2) go back to rocket dock, or (3) deal with the one extra mouse click and have individual locations pinned to the explorer jump list.

Yeah, I get that... just seems funny that they went to the trouble of putting in all this extra functionality and making the taskbar so dock-like, but didn't actually go all the way and make it a completely functional dock.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, I get that... just seems funny that they went to the trouble of putting in all this extra functionality and making the taskbar so dock-like, but didn't actually go all the way and make it a completely functional dock.

It's not a dock, how are you not getting this. It's not funny at all because it's not a dock.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Speaking of which, what programs that put Windows 7's taskbar enhancements to good use? Stuff like jump lists and controls on the Aero preview? I know the Zune software does, foobar can do controls with a plugin, there's that Gmail app that is pretty cool, the Jumplist Launcher software that seems redundant with the way the start menu works and Steam added some jumplist functionality. I know a bunch of programs use the progress bar functionality such as ImgBurn and, again, Steam. So what else is out there that puts this stuff to good use?

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Speaking of which, what programs that put Windows 7's taskbar enhancements to good use? Stuff like jump lists and controls on the Aero preview? I know the Zune software does, foobar can do controls with a plugin, there's that Gmail app that is pretty cool, the Jumplist Launcher software that seems redundant with the way the start menu works and Steam added some jumplist functionality. I know a bunch of programs use the progress bar functionality such as ImgBurn and, again, Steam. So what else is out there that puts this stuff to good use?
Google Chrome has jump list capabilities. You can see recently viewed pages, open tabs, etc. Ironically, Firefox does not utilize this. You'd think with FF being the more popular of the two Mozilla would be on the ball with this.

For those of you that have messed around with LiteStep, if there are any of you out there, how did you like it? I'm going to toy with it for a bit longer in the morning, but so far I'm digging it. I really dislike how explorer refuses to cooperate and keeps its own ugly theme. It really hurts my customization abilities and makes the whole UI integration thing nigh impossible. I've found file manager replacements but Control Panel and all such sub-menus retain the explorer look...
It's becoming a pain, one I'm thinking may not be resolvable. :sigh:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Echophonic posted:

The Office programs (word, powerpoint, etc.) have jumplists for recent documents. Itunes and WMP both have player controls on their jumplists. IE functions similarly to Chrome.

revolther
May 27, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Since you apparently didn't read it the other four times mentioned by me and others in this thread.

Five steps to do what you want:

CLICK FOR BIG

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Super Dude posted:

The Office programs (word, powerpoint, etc.) have jumplists for recent documents. Itunes and WMP both have player controls on their jumplists. IE functions similarly to Chrome.
Everything that uses the Recently Opened APIs shows them on the jump list.

Pro Jumpers Only: click and drag a taskbar icon towards the desktop makes the jump list open in one click.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I like how you can drag up and down to watch the jumplist fade in and out.

While we're talking superbar features, has anyone noticed that if you ctrl or shift click a pinned item and drag it a bit, the icon will lock in a third state different from active or inactive. Sorta makes me think that MS was trying to work some sort of grouping/arrangement feature.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

revolther posted:

I like how you can drag up and down to watch the jumplist fade in and out.

While we're talking superbar features, has anyone noticed that if you ctrl or shift click a pinned item and drag it a bit, the icon will lock in a third state different from active or inactive. Sorta makes me think that MS was trying to work some sort of grouping/arrangement feature.

Bwah? Ctrl-click cycles through open windows of the app, and shift click opens a new copy of it instead of pulling the currently open one. I don't see it doing any weird 3rd state.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

revolther posted:

Since you apparently didn't read it the other four times mentioned by me and others in this thread.

Five steps to do what you want:

CLICK FOR BIG

Well dang! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Oh, and going back to the issue I was having about about resolutions settings, in case anybody wanted to know (I could only get 4:3 resolutions in Windows 7 with my CRT monitor even though it's very capable of doing high res 16:10). I finally was able to get Windows to display in 1680x1050 @ 85Hz last night using a program called PowerStrip to manually add that resolution in, so that's good. However, I still can't get my games to show the availability of 1680x1050 or 1900x1200 resolutions. Back to the drawing board I guess.

VVV He's right though. ZoneAlarm is pretty much poo poo. It's not just one guy on SA who doesn't like it. It's kind of known as being completely superflous bloatware that offers basically zero additional protection over the standard Windows Firewall, but that doesn't stop it from being roughly 100x more annoying and invasive. Uninstall it, reactivate Windows Firewall, and watch as your computer problems magically fade away, all without losing a single bit of security. Also, my CCC is working fine (Win7 64 with Raedon 4890). Although it doesn't give me the option of forcing resolutions. Don't know if this version should, but I've seen screenshots of other versions that did. Aside from that though, it's completely functional.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 14, 2009

Stugene
Apr 7, 2009

Starring Bill Cosby
as Victor Meldrew

Schpyder posted:

Jesus loving christ, why do people insist on continuing to use ZoneAlarm?

:bang:

Because I've still got a license for it, and wasn't thinking "Oh mercy, don't use ZoneAlarm, there's a guy on SA that takes offence :smug: ". In all seriousness, its me just being lazy and installing the same Firewall/Anti-Virus as everyone else on my network.

Back to my original question though, anyone experiencing CCC not opening for them, at all, on Win7?

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Stugene posted:

Because I've still got a license for it, and wasn't thinking "Oh mercy, don't use ZoneAlarm, there's a guy on SA that takes offence :smug: ". In all seriousness, its me just being lazy and installing the same Firewall/Anti-Virus as everyone else on my network.

Back to my original question though, anyone experiencing CCC not opening for them, at all, on Win7?
I did have problems when on the betas but CCC has been fine for me on RTM W7 Pro x64, I'm on the "legacy" drivers for my stone age x1600 but CCC has been working ever since version 9.8.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Stugene posted:

Nope. I've been running Win 7 x64 since it hit TechNet in August and have never had any problems with CCC, even when ATI was still releasing "beta" drivers.

edit: ^^ I thought ATI still called the drivers "beta" until Win7's public release in October? Either way, my experience matches yours; no problems with 9.8 or newer.

chizad fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 14, 2009

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I have a question about reinstalling Windows 7.

Upon first-time installation of Windows 7, the OS creates a 200 MB partition in which it stores some essential recovery files, should the actual OS become corrupt or need recovering. If you format your Windows 7 partiton and reinstall the OS, does it create another 200 MB recovery partition, or does it reuse and overwrite the original recovery partition?

I plan on wiping my HD and reinstalling Windows 7 every now and then to keep my system running well, and I don't want a new "recovery partition" made every time I do this.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 14, 2009

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.
Is there any way to have multiple audio playback devices active at once? Or, better yet, a way to specify which programs send audio to which devices?

I have a monitor and speakers on my desk, then an HDTV (hooked up via HDMI) around the corner. I use the PC as a dvr, so all cable gets routed through the computer before it goes to the TV.

Right now, I have to switch back and forth between default audio devices depending on whether I am at my desk (headphones/speakers) or watching tv on my couch (hdmi audio). When I switch devices in windows 7, all sound immediately changes to the new device. In Vista, sound would 'stick' to a device until you closed and reopened the program the sound was coming from. Even though it was probably a bug in vista, it was possible to have music (and only music) playing through headphones while a video was playing (with audio) on the tv. Just based on that, I assume it isn't completely impossible, but as far as I can tell, it certainly isn't built into the windows UI.

In all of my google searches, signs point to no, but it seems like a ridiculous limitation.

NotJoe fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 14, 2009

isagoon
Aug 31, 2009

by Peatpot
Does anyone know how to disable that thing that temperately minimizes all your windows when you mouseover a program's icon in the taskbar? That is getting really annoying with dual monitors....

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

isagoon posted:

Does anyone know how to disable that thing that temperately minimizes all your windows when you mouseover a program's icon in the taskbar? That is getting really annoying with dual monitors....
It only does that for me when I hover my mouse over the preview window?

isagoon
Aug 31, 2009

by Peatpot

gibbed posted:

It only does that for me when I hover my mouse over the preview window?

That's what I mean. I don't like it minimizing all my other windows when I just want to open something that got shoved into a group.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It doesn't actually minimize everything, just click the item you want and they will remain in whatever order you had them :confused:

revolther
May 27, 2008

Casao posted:

Bwah? Ctrl-click cycles through open windows of the app, and shift click opens a new copy of it instead of pulling the currently open one. I don't see it doing any weird 3rd state.
Well you clearly did it wrong.

Third State. My mouse is over Snipping Tool, Chrome is open, Digsby & Hulu Desktop are closed, Explorer is closed as well. Third State.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Just a heads up, if you have a Toshiba laptop and you're getting bluescreens on startup with windows 7, you need to update your BIOS on the Toshiba website.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

revolther posted:

Third State. My mouse is over Snipping Tool, Chrome is open, Digsby & Hulu Desktop are closed, Explorer is closed as well. Third State.

You referring to explorer? Cause, uh, that's not happening for me, and, as I said, shift and ctrl click both have actions assigned to them which aren't "Third state"

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Is it a good idea to use XP mode as an extra security measure for browsing the web an other things? Like using it without caring about security and wiping it when I feel there's too many viruses? Or is it just a bad idea?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

revolther posted:

I can get it to happen to. Seems to be a bug, but it's so incredibly minor that I wouldn't worry about it.

The state is the state that it enters when you are dragging the icon to a new location - effectively Windows doesn't realize that you are no longer moving the icon to somewhere else.

Edit: To get the state to occur you must do: ctrl (or shift) down; right click down; move mouse; right click up; ctrl up. That is, you must drag the mouse while ctrl and the mouse button are still down.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fiannaiocht posted:

Is it a good idea to use XP mode as an extra security measure for browsing the web an other things? Like using it without caring about security and wiping it when I feel there's too many viruses? Or is it just a bad idea?

That's probably a waste of time. You're better off enabling UAC, installing MSE, and practicing safe browsing habits.

Improvement Viola
Apr 20, 2009
I'm hoping someone can help me out...I installed Windows 7 on a hard drive that soon died. So, I reinstalled on a new hard drive, but since I used my product key already, it wouldn't let me use it again this time. Is there any way to be able to recycle that product key so that I don't have to buy a new copy of Windows 7?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Improvement Viola posted:

I'm hoping someone can help me out...I installed Windows 7 on a hard drive that soon died. So, I reinstalled on a new hard drive, but since I used my product key already, it wouldn't let me use it again this time. Is there any way to be able to recycle that product key so that I don't have to buy a new copy of Windows 7?

Start the activation and choose activation via phone. Call that number, and no matter what they ask, just say this copy is only installed one computer, and it's only ever been installed on said computer. They should give you the code no problem.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

That's probably a waste of time. You're better off enabling UAC, installing MSE, and practicing safe browsing habits.

And surf in porn mode.

Improvement Viola
Apr 20, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

Start the activation and choose activation via phone. Call that number, and no matter what they ask, just say this copy is only installed one computer, and it's only ever been installed on said computer. They should give you the code no problem.

Turns out, all I had to do was use the automated activation by phone.

Thanks for the tip!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I recently bought a new PC and Windows 7 Pro 64bit[1]. Its very much blowing my skirts up at the moment. One thing I *particularly* like is the new, more nuanced volume control, where you can control seperately the volume for applications, and more easily for devices, etc.

However...

I run a dual-monitor setup, with my main monitor hooked into both my PC and my 360 (via the VGA adapter). The sound from the 360 routes into my soundcard's line-in. What I'd like to do is have an entry for the 360 show in the sound-mixer, so I can control its volume conveniently too.

I had a nose through my sound-card's own control panel, and saw that the 'line in' device had a 'listen to this device' checkbox that, when checked, did cause the 'line in' to appear in the sound-mixer.

Unfortunately, when I did this, I got all manner of wierd, echoey feedback, so it didn't really work out. I checked that I wasn't running with any 'effects' active on any audio devices - I assume that because I was 'listening' to a device that also records, it was entering into a kind of feedback loop.

In closing, then, is there a way I can get the line-in to show up in the sound-mixer, without having the audio get all screwed up as a result? For now I'm working on the assumption that I just made a trivial error somewhere. I'd be grateful for any (useful and relevant ;) ) advice I could be given.

[1] First PC upgrade for 6 years, so I was making the jump straight from XP to Win7. Hell, I think I've only ever *seen* Vista in the flesh once, and I never tried it. Lets just say I found things 'somewhat different' from XP - but thus far, that difference has been overwhelmingly positive.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Chrome is so fast and sexy in Windows 7, I've completely dropped Firefox (after years of swearing by it).

I had used Chrome in XP (version 1 or 2) and found it to be nothing that great, and ugly (blue bar) but v3 in Windows 7 it really works well with aero glass. And jesus it's fast !

CaptainRapesAlot
Jul 25, 2007

Drivin' down the road,
lookin' for a Waffle House,
and drinkin' lots of Wild Turkey
So I've got kind of a weird problem and I don't know what started it or how to fix it. For whatever reason, in the past few days every program on my start menu has completely vanished. I click on All Programs and there just grey space... :confused:

Anyone here heard of that problem? I'm using build 2100 if it helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

Yossarko posted:

Chrome is so fast and sexy in Windows 7, I've completely dropped Firefox (after years of swearing by it).

I had used Chrome in XP (version 1 or 2) and found it to be nothing that great, and ugly (blue bar) but v3 in Windows 7 it really works well with aero glass. And jesus it's fast !

Two questions

1) is there an ad-block equivalent
2) can I port my Firefox data (saved passwords and bookmarks)