Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Crewe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Scikar posted:

Crewe?

I doubt it. Crewe have been in a steady decline for a few years now. Mainly because any money they have made from selling young promising players have gone straight into the directors pockets rather than investing in the club.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

pimpslap posted:

I'd be interested to hear what others think of this hypothesis. Assuming his argument is valid, I'd say that not only Arsenal are part of "Football 3.0", but Aston Villa, Wigan, and West Ham in the PL are all on the same path (albeit to varying degrees). What about other examples of the "smaller clubs" he mentions reemerging from Championship or lower?

First off I'm not convinced, it all reads like "I think Arsenal are running things the right way and here's how they do it". Teams could very well be moving towards greater financial responsibility but I don't think it's happening right now. Plus I don't know why you suggest that Wigan and West Ham fit this pattern. The latter have been destroyed by previous overspending, while Wigan would not exist without Dave Whelan pouring in countless millions to cover their losses. They may be signing lots of players from traditionally undervalued parts of the world, but their survival is still purely based on unsustainable finances.

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

Oceanbound posted:

First off I'm not convinced, it all reads like "I think Arsenal are running things the right way and here's how they do it". Teams could very well be moving towards greater financial responsibility but I don't think it's happening right now. Plus I don't know why you suggest that Wigan and West Ham fit this pattern. The latter have been destroyed by previous overspending, while Wigan would not exist without Dave Whelan pouring in countless millions to cover their losses. They may be signing lots of players from traditionally undervalued parts of the world, but their survival is still purely based on unsustainable finances.

Admittedly, the author's blog is hyper-critical of the finances of Arsenal's rivals, but I don't think what I posted comes across as Arsenal back-patting. And in the article he posits that some clubs continue to operate at 1.0 or 2.0 methods, so he's not suggesting that in 10 or 20 years all clubs will be on this model. Wenger had a quote from a few weeks back summarized as "I believe there's another model for success (other than huge debts and sugar daddies)".

The qualifier I made regarding Villa, Wigan, and West Ham perhaps should've been elaborated. Villa I think are closest, Wigan and West Ham have strengths in one or two areas mentioned, but are sorely lacking in others. Obviously West Ham has a strong academy, and should they crash financially, they may have an easier path to adopting 3.0 (or new method, whatever, I'm just using the terminology from the article) by rebuilding from their academy. Wigan have an attractive style and have brought in players from around the world, two things which are not sustainable themselves. However, if they continue to scout worldwide, they could move away from big transfer fees.

With the number of clubs on the brink of financial ruin, I just think it's an interesting exercise to consider how they might rebuild if they did collapse financially. Would they attempt to climb back up the ladder using a borrow and spend method? Or would they try something new? Would some clubs currently facing financial ruin under 2.0 be better positioned to make the jump to 3.0?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Spurs are probably the club that is run best in terms of finance, yet it always seems to be Arsenal that is brought up as a shining example.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Spurs will be a better example the other side of the stadium build.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrBling posted:

Spurs are probably the club that is run best in terms of finance, yet it always seems to be Arsenal that is brought up as a shining example.

Yes because you see during the George Graham era...

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

MrBling posted:

Because winning is still everything. The article is bogus on that count. I know they dont want to say it but Arsenal was certainly helped by the millions of foreign plastics who started supporting the club in the early oughts.

It pains me to say it as a Hammer but local academies won't save you at this point either. The pure physical demands of the english game mean there is simply diminishing odds someone will grow up to meet the increasing height and weight requirements for certain vital positions on the park.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I would rather Liverpool win a game 1 - 0 than lose tie it 5 - 5 if the article is supposed to be implying otherwise

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tbp posted:

I would rather Liverpool win a game 1 - 0 than lose tie it 5 - 5 if the article is supposed to be implying otherwise

Please try to make sense. "lose tie it 5-5" what the christ are you on about?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Bovine Delight posted:

Please try to make sense. "lose tie it 5-5" what the christ are you on about?

Ah whoops, mistyped. Was originally going to put 'lose 5 - 4' but realized anyone would rather their team win..

pimpslap
Nov 27, 2002
new home, old colors, same Arsenal

MoPZiG posted:

Because winning is still everything. The article is bogus on that count.

Yeah, that's really the biggest flaw in the article. Arsenal is going on 5 years without a trophy while still playing (most of the time) entertaining football, and seemingly half the fans think Wenger should spend 50 million every transfer window to win one.

The article is certainly idealistic, but I thought it was an interesting take on football finances. So, I guess another question is, if he's got what "Football 3.0" is wrong, then what are alternative possibilities for what it could look like? Certainly the 2.0 model is unsustainable and can't last.

pimpslap fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 19, 2010

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

MrBling posted:

Yeah, Spurs are so well run that it's only been 49 years since they won the league. Just waiting for that big five oh to come up before you can really start celebrating the massive achievement of being run so drat well.

Spurs ownership would swap their position for Arsenals in a second because Arsenal are better placed in every aspect. Bigger stadium, higher revenue, more valuable squad, better youth set-up, far superior historical achievements.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Flayer posted:

Bigger stadium, higher revenue, more valuable squad, better youth set-up, far superior historical achievements.

fans prone to typing lots and lots of words...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I meant in the strictly financial sense, it is more impressive to me that Spurs can be profitable while chasing Top4 year on year compared to Arsenal just coasting on Champions League money and not really having to do much.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

fans prone to typing lots and lots of words...

I'm waiting for football 5.0 whereby Arsenal and Spurs are awarded trophies by convincing FACup Ltd they have the best business case.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

MrBling posted:

I meant in the strictly financial sense, it is more impressive to me that Spurs can be profitable while chasing Top4 year on year compared to Arsenal just coasting on Champions League money and not really having to do much.

I was going to post this exact same thing but I'm not sure if their numbers are before or after transfers. Selling players and buying them back later in the season for cheap is a great bit of business.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

DickEmery posted:

I'm waiting for football 5.0 whereby Arsenal and Spurs are awarded trophies by convincing FACup Ltd they have the best business case.

Duncan Bannatyne ensures no trophies are won by anyone for five years straight.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Vando posted:

Duncan Bannatyne ensures no trophies are won by anyone for five years straight.

You may have the largest attendance in the league, but frankly your Chicken Balti pies are rubbish - and for that reason I'm out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Football 5.0 is actually a pitch on Dragon's Den as to why they should buy your club. The club with the biggest investor wins.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is there a particular reason the Spanish fan ownership model has not caught on in England or other countries? It seems to be a big part of why Real Madrid and Barca have been able to exercise a lot of financial power.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Portsmouth are hosed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8468078.stm

Tax appeal fails.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Jollzwhin posted:

You may have the largest attendance in the league, but frankly your Chicken Balti pies are rubbish - and for that reason I'm out.
Chicken Curry Pies at the Emirates are overpriced and poo poo tbh

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Dudley posted:

Portsmouth are hosed.

Tax appeal fails.

To be honest i hope they go into administration while in the premier league, if they do then hopefully it prevents many more fans from seeing their club crumble because of finances rather then football. If they stave it off till they get relegated i doubt anyone would learn a lesson.

Also

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8468159.stm

West Hame apparently owed over twice as much as their owners declared when it was put up for sale. Looks like the new owners don't care about sinking money into it though so the fans can probably sleep easier knowing administration is a little further off.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Luigi Thirty posted:

Football 5.0 is actually a pitch on Dragon's Den as to why they should buy your club. The club with the biggest investor wins.

Yes that is the joke we just made thank you for that clarification.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/8468159.stm

West Hame apparently owed over twice as much as their owners declared when it was put up for sale. Looks like the new owners don't care about sinking money into it though so the fans can probably sleep easier knowing administration is a little further off.

quote:

Former Birmingham owners Sullivan and David Gold now control the Hammers after buying a 50% shareholding.

"It makes no commercial sense to buy this club," said Sullivan after laying out the scale of West Ham's borrowing.

"If there was any other club in this situation, then we would not be buying it. We bought this as supporters, not from a business point of view."

How depressing, but true.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

TyChan posted:

How depressing, but true.

Whats depressing? Today I find my club in safer hands than at least 2 of the big 4.

If Sullivan's consortium plan for the remaining shares goes through and the likes of Fernandes buy significant shares we could well on our way to financial sanity and progress on the pitch very quickly. Im much less keen on leaving Upton Park however.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

They're not well liked but they did run Birmingham pretty responsibly no? They're not going to dump in 200million but they'll invest just enough to keep the club alive which is a pretty big bonus for West Ham.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

MoPZiG posted:

Whats depressing? Today I find my club in safer hands than at least 2 of the big 4.

If Sullivan's consortium plan for the remaining shares goes through and the likes of Fernandes buy significant shares we could well on our way to financial sanity and progress on the pitch very quickly. Im much less keen on leaving Upton Park however.

I was talking about the idea that buying any club in West Ham's situation is not necessarily a good business move, but it's a move you do out of love for a club and the desire to keep it alive.

I've said this before, but the more I read about football clubs, the more I'm convinced that they are pretty poor as actual, substantive investments unless you have a diversified set of holdings where the club helps enhance their value or potential.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

TyChan posted:

I was talking about the idea that buying any club in West Ham's situation is not necessarily a good business move, but it's a move you do out of love for a club and the desire to keep it alive.

This was kinda how every club changed hands until the last 20 odd years.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Adnar posted:

They're not well liked but they did run Birmingham pretty responsibly no?

Aside from when they had the club's offices raided over some financial irregularities and had several board members under suspicion, sure.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Noxville posted:

Aside from when they had the club's offices raided over some financial irregularities and had several board members under suspicion, sure.

David Gold was interviewed as a witness while they kept sticking Karen Brady under arrest. They never did press any charges and they were linked with none of the transfers from the Stevens report.

In fact they made a lot of arrests back then without ever pressing charges and I think it's probably dead in the water by now.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

To be honest i hope they go into administration while in the premier league, if they do then hopefully it prevents many more fans from seeing their club crumble because of finances rather then football. If they stave it off till they get relegated i doubt anyone would learn a lesson.

Plus they could go into administration in the Premier League and enter the Championship in at least a state that might stay there.

Going into administration in the Championship will leave them Southamptoned in no time.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

TyChan posted:

I've said this before, but the more I read about football clubs, the more I'm convinced that they are pretty poor as actual, substantive investments

This has always been the case.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dream Team summed it up best.

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.

Dudley posted:

Portsmouth are hosed.

Tax appeal fails.

I've said it a thousand times but the Premier League have been far too lenient with them. There should have been substantial pressure on them to deal with the money they owed to other clubs - but nah, let's just help them extend their debts.

I'm sure if they were put into administration earlier the club could have recovered. We are probably going to see the total destruction of a football club instead.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TyChan posted:

I've said this before, but the more I read about football clubs, the more I'm convinced that they are pretty poor as actual, substantive investments unless you have a diversified set of holdings where the club helps enhance their value or potential.

This is a good thing, not a depressing thing.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Football clubs that look like American businesses get bought by American businessmen.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Grez posted:

This has always been the case.

quote:

MrL_Jakiri]This is a good thing, not a depressing thing.

Scikar posted:

Football clubs that look like American businesses get bought by American businessmen.

I agree, but what does that say about the ability to make teams more competitive?

At some point or another, spending and probably incurring debts in the process) is needed to help break established pecking orders. Unless you can get the money from actual fans, which is rare, the only way you get the necessary funds nowadays is by turning clubs from these "ventures of love" to something exploitable and attractive to businessmen who have different priorities and will run clubs much, much differently than fans would. Unless we get UEFA-wide spending caps, salary caps, luxury taxes, or revenue sharing arrangements, I don't know how that's going to change.

A little bit of soul-selling is inevitable and necessary and isn't that just a bit depressing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

pimpslap posted:

Wigan, and West Ham in the PL are all on the same path

What

• Locked thread