Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I honestly think you just need to get used to it. I went from a non-cert cateye on my Eddy GT to a full cert cage and it didn't affect me at all. I know everyone says that the bars just disappear once you stop focusing on the fact that they're there, and there's not really much else I can tell you besides that. I've never had the bars impede my vision enough to the point where I got aggravated with the mask. The holes on the standard NXi certified cage are pretty wide too, compared to a lot of other cert cages I see. Maybe that's part of it.

I posted a feeler on GSBB just now about cages. If Quantum sells them, it looks like it'll run you about $100+ just for the cage, but you should be able to pick up a cat-eye probably.

Check the extent of the rust too. I mean, if it's just here and there and the welds don't look like they're obviously compromised then you should be fairly safe. I'm not saying you shouldn't replace it at some point of course.

Anyway, it's a shame that guy turned out to be a total sleaze because his mask really was first rate for a budget mask.

Edit:

Well, that was pretty loving fast: http://www.21degreesllc.com/cages.asp -- Still proceed with caution, since I literally just read about them. Looks like they have a bunch of NXi stuff though :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
drat, thanks for the quick response and also the link for replacement cages. Looks promising that 21 Degrees does business with Stomp Equipment. Met the owner of Stomp during a trip to my dad's tournament in Kingsville, ON. Nice guy.

I suppose if I bought anything from 21º and had an issue like some had with NXi, I could always hunt the guy down seeing as though the 734 area code is only an hour away :twisted:.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
I may be playing in my first real game in several months. One of the really good shinny guys told me there's gonna be a charity tournament (forgot what they're raising money for) next Saturday. 2 guaranteed games and the chance to possibly meet my childhood hero: Mike Richter.

Since he lives in the town it's hosted in (Greenwich, CT) he played forward on one of the teams last year and it's possible he along with some other big names from yesteryear might pop up. Better goddamn believe I'm taking down both my Richter posters from my room just in case he'd maybe possibly be interested in signing them if he's there.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Thats awesome, I hope he is there for you as it's always an awesome and surreal experience playing on the ice with someone you've watched on TV for years.

I was a huge leafs fan growing up and so when the lockout happened and Wade Belak joined the club I was training with it was a very surreal experience facing him 3 times a week in training. I'll always remember robbing him on a cross ice one timer and sitting there, staring into my glove thinking "Holllllyyyyyy poo poo... I just robbed Wade Belak!"

That was a really special season. He is genuinely one of the nicest and funniest blokes you'll ever meet as well.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to open hockey this afternoon and I started off kind of lovely. It felt like my angles/positioning was off and I kept on getting beat on high shots. From talking to one of the skaters, who is an ex-goalie, I am playing too deep in the net and exposing the high corners that I'd cut off by playing further out. I wonder what I need to do to get myself stay at the top of the crease if not 6-18" outside of the crease? I never really intend to play deep in the crease, but it just seems to happen, so I think the next time I get out on the ice, I am going work on challenging the shot more to cut off my angles and working on strong t-pushes, since if I come out further, then butterfly sliding isn't quite as viable of a method to get to the opposite post.

I also kept on tripping over myself when I was trying to set my pads up in VH (vertical horizontal), I think that my skate was getting caught on the outside of the post, which isn't good to begin with, and then I'd stumble and open up the 5 hole. I at least had some good stretches of play as well, but I think working on challenging the shot and not falling over when I set up in the VH would be two good things for me to focus on.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
This probably sounds stupid, but playing goalie mode in NHL 10 helped me a lot with challenging. The horizontal movement is so slow that it forced me to be very aware of passing options, and my tiny guy in game would give up goals in the top corners constantly if I wasn't challenging. That's probably the only part of my game that translated directly from the stupid video game into real hockey, but it did so very well. I have a very good feel for when I need to stay a little deep to cover a pass and when I'm free to charge out.

Now if I could only get that magic blue arrow that keeps you on your angle in the game to appear in real hockey...

gco
May 8, 2007

ManicJason posted:

This probably sounds stupid, but playing goalie mode in NHL 10 helped me a lot with challenging. The horizontal movement is so slow that it forced me to be very aware of passing options, and my tiny guy in game would give up goals in the top corners constantly if I wasn't challenging. That's probably the only part of my game that translated directly from the stupid video game into real hockey, but it did so very well. I have a very good feel for when I need to stay a little deep to cover a pass and when I'm free to charge out.

Now if I could only get that magic blue arrow that keeps you on your angle in the game to appear in real hockey...

I never really got anything out of goalie mode. Since the puck crosses the ice so fast I found it necessary to stay really deep to be able to have the angle and squareness correct then always got beat in close. Also, save selection was automatic and you didn't really have to do anything but stay in front of the puck and pray for the best. Anyway, I thought that some of the movements didn't really apply to any sort of play style. For instance, who the hell hugs the post with both pads pushed together vertically? (think 2-pad slide standing up)

Anyway, I got a little more information on this tournament. It's 3v3 on a small rink (gonna have to adjust angles) and is apparently going to be very competitive, so we have a powerhouse of a team. Think of that one guy in shinny that skates circles around everyone on your team and rings the back upper bar against you on his backhand on a breakaway. Yeah, we're gonna have 5 of them. Some bad news, though, I thought it was going to be next weekend but it turns out it's a month after next weekend. I have to get through 5 more weeks of school before I get to play in this thing. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Playing goal in NHL9/10 was an exercise in frustration for me. The goalie's online reaction time was ridiculously slow. I could yank the stick in one direction, but by the time the goalie actually moved the puck was in the back of the net. I had to start overcommitting, which always turned out just as bad.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

gco posted:

For instance, who the hell hugs the post with both pads pushed together vertically? (think 2-pad slide standing up)

I do quite a bit of the time depending on who I am playing with, by having your two pads crammed together by the post you are taking 22-24 (depending on your pads) inches of width away from a potential pass across the crease and with your stick in good position you can generally force the other team to try going around the back of the net or passing back to their defense since you have a good chance or picking off any attempted pass beyond the width of your pads. If they do pass and get it through so long as you push off with the pass you can still be square to the puck and take the next shot as well.

Although they are out of vogue, padstacks are still a useful tool but to use them you must be aware of puck location as well as player location. The Butterfly is a great general save choice as it plays the percentages but when I watch local hockey and every shot winds up with the goalie on the ice and the shot roofing the net it shows that shooters are evolving beyond the technique. Hell in local beer league, spongee, ball, and street hockey the pure butterfly goalies generally have a higher GAA and lower save percentage then a flopper since people are no longer trying to shoot along the ice but rather going in tight to the shoulders, top corners, or 5 hole. I was watching a game before my shinny and this 13 year old kid got caught out of position and did a sliding padstack to stop a shot and just about everyone on the ice stopped dead because he took away the bottom half of the net nearly instantly and the shooter had only shot to put it above one pad, thus making a save and his defense cleared it for him while he got up. I don't do it often but a padstack has saved my rear end more often than I care to admit.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I agree that the padstack and such is a dying art form, and I used to use it alot, problem is with butterfly pads its just harder and harder to do. I've tried it a few times so far with my new gear to varying degrees of success.

Also, I played that street hockey pickup today. The 6-8 guy never put on my old pads, someone else brought an old set of 32s (I think) that barely fit him. It was funny. We were using pretty tiny nets though, which I didn't mind, but he covered a huge portion.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
Fun tip: Tired of the crusty salt buildup on the nash material of your gloves? Use a suede bar and brush:

http://www.google.com/products?q=suede+bar+and+brush&hl=en&aq=f

I've just started doing this, because although drying my gloves got the water out of them, the salt of my sweat was staying behind, leaving a hard residue in the nash palm of my trapper, hard enough that I've drawn blood scraping my thumb and pinky knuckles on the finger loops.

Using the suede brush, I was able to restore the softness of the nash material by simply rubbing the bar back and forth, and then using the rubber brush to sweep out the debris and restore a nap to the material. This process also helped pull off the little loose pieces of nash that form from the constant friction of my hand.

All in all, the nash palm went from hard, rough, sweat-stained, and crusty to almost-like-new.

gco
May 8, 2007

I've always thought of the vertical 2-pad stack when the puck is at the dead angle to put you in a bad position should you have to be mobile. Putting your feet together like that, though possibly covering a passing lane and a good deal of the net, your chances of getting beaten far side low or high increase dramatically than if you use post-knee-up/down. Maybe it's just because I've been taught to give the shooter something (5-hole) and take it away (butterfly/post-knee-down). Whenever I see that pad stack hugging the post I always imagine 2 things happening: 1. beaten on the far side from a dead/sharp angle or 2. shooter cuts into the crease or wraps around and dunks the puck into the net as the goalie is trying to reposition his lead leg to slide across. The lead leg thing may take more time in my head than it should in reality but I don't really want to get too far into it (than I already have) without being able to prove the absolute best position to be in in a particular scenario.

Anyway, :words: aside, goaltenders have 2 simple tasks in order of importance 1. look cool as gently caress and 2. stop the puck. Also, gonna have my dad tape this entire tournament because you all have to see this one guy that I know play. I wholeheartedly believe that he can skate circles around the guy that skates circles around everyone on the ice in shinny.

u_r
Sep 29, 2003

guys i found the pic-a-nic basket
Hey goalies!

In 6 weeks time I'm moving to Vancouver (from Brisbane, Australia). I've been playing LW/Forward here for the past 2 years in a sunday recreational league.

Anyway, I'm looking at making the change to goaltending instead. I already went ahead and bought my helmet - An iTech Profile 1440.. And was looking at the RBK 6k Snr series for pads, blocker & glove.

Just a few questions..

1. Are there any clinics or rinks you guys would recommend in Vancouver that would be ideal for coaching? (For reference, I'll be living around Kits)

2. How accommodating can Vancouver be for absolute newbies? After a few clinics/sessions am I able to slot into a recreational weekend team of some sort? Or are there a huge influx of goaltenders that would make it hard to get a spot on a team?

3. I use CCM Vector v4 skates for playing and general skating. Would the goalie equivalent be ideal when purchasing goalie skates?

Cheers for any assistance you guys can give :)

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
u_r, Welcome to Canada! You are going to enter a world of pain as from what I hear our beer league players form your national teams. You will encounter various levels of players that range from beginner to current/former NHL on ice in this country. You will be amazed to watch an advanced 10 year old pick you apart if Vancouver is anything like Winnipeg in terms of youth skill. Also any adult league will be played by people who play with a chip on their shoulder and play every game like there are NHL scouts in the stands.

First, if I remember correctly you will want to get rid of that helmet as that one is called the Widowmaker (I may be wrong, but I think that is the lovely model). Second the 6k set is a decent starter set, however you should really not bother buying anything across the ocean as you will find better access to new and used gear in Vancouver for better prices. I can't offer any help on the local aspects as I am from a different province though. As for the skates, buy the ones that you can afford and are most comfortable in. I currently wear a pair of Vapor XIVs that although are cheap have yet to fail me, and are comfy enough that I can wear them for hours on end.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 24, 2010

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gco posted:

I never really got anything out of goalie mode. Since the puck crosses the ice so fast I found it necessary to stay really deep to be able to have the angle and squareness correct then always got beat in close. Also, save selection was automatic and you didn't really have to do anything but stay in front of the puck and pray for the best. Anyway, I thought that some of the movements didn't really apply to any sort of play style. For instance, who the hell hugs the post with both pads pushed together vertically? (think 2-pad slide standing up)

Anyway, I got a little more information on this tournament. It's 3v3 on a small rink (gonna have to adjust angles) and is apparently going to be very competitive, so we have a powerhouse of a team. Think of that one guy in shinny that skates circles around everyone on your team and rings the back upper bar against you on his backhand on a breakaway. Yeah, we're gonna have 5 of them. Some bad news, though, I thought it was going to be next weekend but it turns out it's a month after next weekend. I have to get through 5 more weeks of school before I get to play in this thing. :(

I've said it a million times in this thread, but 3v3 is hard. It's faster paced than inline, the angles will throw you off at first, and stamina is critical. You will face a lot more shots than you do on a regulation sized rink and you don't get much if any chance to physically or mentally rest when the puck is on the other end. It can be fun and I like it, because I feel that putting myself in a tougher situation than regular hockey is good for training/conditioning, but don't be surprised if you give up more goals than you are used to and it can really wear you out.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Playing goal in NHL9/10 was an exercise in frustration for me. The goalie's online reaction time was ridiculously slow. I could yank the stick in one direction, but by the time the goalie actually moved the puck was in the back of the net. I had to start overcommitting, which always turned out just as bad.
Oh yeah, online is impossible for goalies. I didn't even try in NHL 10, but in NHL 09 the best strategy was to make your goalie as huge as possible and just sit as deep as possible at all times. Actually, best was just to let the AI play your team's goalie; there was no possible advantage to having a real human being.

Tonight was a pretty big milestone for me. It was the first game where I played well from beginning to end and pretty much won the game for my team. I let in a goal that had to have missed my skate by half a centimeter with my leg fully extended and went in off the post. The other I was screened but still got a little piece. I stopped nine of ten in the shootout to win the last game of the season, including stopping my older brother who had the game on his stick. Too bad the team we needed to lose to make the playoffs won. :(

As a bonus, I noticed when I first started playing that I had a nervous tick or something in shootouts where I'd wiggle my catcher a little as the skater approached. I figured it helped me keep a good glove position, possibly also distracting them a bit or baiting them toward my strong side, so now it's pretty pronounced. Tonight a friend on the other team said a couple of their skaters came back to the bench after shooting asking why the hell I was doing that. More of them than not also shot to that side. :)

gco
May 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

I've said it a million times in this thread, but 3v3 is hard. It's faster paced than inline, the angles will throw you off at first, and stamina is critical. You will face a lot more shots than you do on a regulation sized rink and you don't get much if any chance to physically or mentally rest when the puck is on the other end. It can be fun and I like it, because I feel that putting myself in a tougher situation than regular hockey is good for training/conditioning, but don't be surprised if you give up more goals than you are used to and it can really wear you out.

I play 4v4 a lot on a small rink and I know how much it can kill your sense of pride. I played against 2 of the guys that are going to be on this 3v3 team and can honestly say that I simply can't get a good string of saves going, practically ever.

I'm thinking if we can get 1 or 2 practices in before the tournament starts, we can get some positions figured out so I feel more comfortable having 1 d-man, 1 winger, and a floater/centerman. Since we're all so used to playing on regulation rinks except for the 1 we scrimmage at once a week, I'm sure everyone's gonna lose their sense of security when a pass gets broken up and the take-away-er takes 2 strides before he's in my end on a breakaway. Plus it certainly wouldn't hurt for me to meet the rest of my team so they know what I mean when I keep yelling "HANGER." I swear to god it's like everyone hears me but I'm speaking in another language.

Also, I ordered my sticks, 2 RBK X-Pulse X5 27" '08 models off goaliemonkey. Ended up coming to $52 a stick. The sale price is $40 (plus shipping) for each one, so if anyone wants to get some cheap sticks, these are the ones to go with: http://goaliemonkey.com/rbk-goalie-stick-xpulse-5-sr.html

NOTE: I don't know how good they are yet, but cheap goalie sticks are always a plus in my book since it takes minimal time (for me, anyway) to get adjusted to a new blade curve or paddle shape.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Hazed_Red posted:

Fun tip: Tired of the crusty salt buildup on the nash material of your gloves? Use a suede bar and brush:
I know you'll never do it, but you can also boil some pots of water and pour them right down the inside of the glove. Put another pot out to catch the water and you'll see that it comes out of the glove a deep bronze color. It's gross! :gonk:

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Hazed_blue posted:

I know you'll never do it, but you can also boil some pots of water and pour them right down the inside of the glove. Put another pot out to catch the water and you'll see that it comes out of the glove a deep bronze color. It's gross! :gonk:

Doesn't that all that heat and moisture hurt the material though? I mean, you wouldn't put your gloves in the washing machine, would you?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hazed_blue posted:

I've done this on many occasions and each time I'm more grossed out than the last.

Hazed_Red posted:

Doesn't that all that heat and moisture hurt the material though? I mean, you wouldn't put your gloves in the washing machine, would you?

I put my gloves through the washing machine every now and then. I just wrap them in a mesh bag so they don't go nuts in there.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Has anyone ever tried using any kind of epoxy or something to cover up cracks in composite sticks? I have an old stick that took a shot in the paddle, cracking it a little, but not really hurting the strength of the stick (I'm sure that's not true, but I can bend it and lean on it without issue). There's also some cracking going down the edge of the paddle. The stick is long replaced, but I'd like to see if I can squeeze a little more life out of it. Anyone have any insight?

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

nahanahs posted:

Has anyone ever tried using any kind of epoxy or something to cover up cracks in composite sticks?
In the past, I've used Gorilla Glue to patch up cracks in my stick. It's not a be-all-end-all solution, but I've personally had a lot of success with it. The glue expands significantly when it dries, so it makes a really good bond. Just be sure to add moisture to the crack before slapping the glue on, or it won't set at all.

In other news, I took a slapper to the shoulder, and it slipped underneath my shoulder wing and impacted right on my deltoid. It hurt enough and swelled afterwards to the point where I couldn't lift my arm. I can move my arm just fine today, albeit with pain still. Am I CRAZY if I play tomorrow morning? I feel like a normal person could answer this with ease, but my joy from playing has made me lose all rational perspective when it comes to injuries. :(

gco
May 8, 2007

Hazed_blue posted:

In the past, I've used Gorilla Glue to patch up cracks in my stick. It's not a be-all-end-all solution, but I've personally had a lot of success with it. The glue expands significantly when it dries, so it makes a really good bond. Just be sure to add moisture to the crack before slapping the glue on, or it won't set at all.

In other news, I took a slapper to the shoulder, and it slipped underneath my shoulder wing and impacted right on my deltoid. It hurt enough and swelled afterwards to the point where I couldn't lift my arm. I can move my arm just fine today, albeit with pain still. Am I CRAZY if I play tomorrow morning? I feel like a normal person could answer this with ease, but my joy from playing has made me lose all rational perspective when it comes to injuries. :(

First time I got one of those was against a coach who played low-level pro. Then I replaced my C/A and now get plenty all the time from a (sorta) coach who played mid-level pro. I have yet to replace the C/A I have now because I got it 2 years ago and it's still pretty good, just the shoulder wings rise more than I'd like them to, which is not at all.

You're definitely not more crazy than you are now if you play tomorrow, unless you got hit in the head, too. Just put some ice on it and you should at least be able to move it for tomorrow, and that's all that really matters. Who cares if it hurts? Fight through the pain for free ice time! :black101:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gco posted:

First time I got one of those was against a coach who played low-level pro. Then I replaced my C/A and now get plenty all the time from a (sorta) coach who played mid-level pro. I have yet to replace the C/A I have now because I got it 2 years ago and it's still pretty good, just the shoulder wings rise more than I'd like them to, which is not at all.

You're definitely not more crazy than you are now if you play tomorrow, unless you got hit in the head, too. Just put some ice on it and you should at least be able to move it for tomorrow, and that's all that really matters. Who cares if it hurts? Fight through the pain for free ice time! :black101:

That's under the category of pain you can play through. Ice it and take some Advil before you play and you should be fine, but if you are still having trouble with range of motion or are concerned about getting hit in that same spot again, then there is nothing wrong with taking a couple days off if needed.

I am going to start up my leg training again, I've tradtionally just kept things basic with squats, deadlifts, leg presses, calf raises, and leg extension/curls. This time around I am thinking about trying to do more exercises that are geared towards isolating one leg at a time like lunges, one legged squats on the Smith machine, and one legged pistol squats. I'll still try to work in some of the heavier lifts, since things like squats and deadlifts are about working more than just your legs, but it just seems like a lot of the exercises that focus on one leg at a time, may be closer to the movements that I actually use in the crease.

Edit: Also, have you guys had any success with Yoga/Pilates classes? I may try going to a couple of those to see if they help at all with flexibility and core strength.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 27, 2010

gco
May 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

Edit: Also, have you guys had any success with Yoga/Pilates classes? I may try going to a couple of those to see if they help at all with flexibility and core strength.

Balance, too. I tried the power yoga thing for a little while and balance and flexibility are the thing I found improved the most, but I didn't really stick with it too long. I'm sure it'd help anyone fit that tried it out in all three of the mentioned areas but I just found it a bit too dull and droning on for too long.

Also, :siren:UnmaskedGremlin:siren: or anyone else that is interested and lives around Fairfield County:
I have a free ticket for the Sound Tigers game on Sunday starting at 3PM. I'll be there before the game at 12 because I'm officiating a Squirt game at the Arena at Harbor Yard and the hockey association is giving the refs free tickets for themselves and someone else to the game after the game. I would bring someone I know with me but I'll have to leave the game early and I always jump at the opportunity of possibly being axemurdered by someone I met on the internet. :D No PM, so AIM in profile.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
This past Saturday I played some open hockey.. one in the nuts, one snuck through all my pads to hit me on the knee (right on the bone), one got through to my upper left bicep, and I slid into a puck with my head hitting me right on the ear.. that poo poo rung and hurt like hell. I played on Tues, knee about 30 shades of purple and gray. Still hurts but bruise injuries are usually nothing to worry about. Until you get hit in the exact same spot again, which, rarely happens.

I am really really loving this "shopping cart" style. My glove hand is actually useful now. I am catching things left and right wheras before my glove hand would be used to stop an occasional puck by chance. It sucks because the level of people I am playing with is pretty low (I help out a clinic in trade for free ice time and some scrims) and when I go up against higher skilled guys they usually just blast through me. I still do pretty good against the high skill guys, better than I used to, but I am in fear of getting too used to playing with lower skill guys. I am going to keep going to open hockey in hopes of playing with someone with some talent. Hopefully that helps.

I still have to work on keeping my glove hand up and stick over my five hole when I go to the butterfly.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

gco posted:

Also, :siren:UnmaskedGremlin:siren: or anyone else that is interested and lives around Fairfield County:
I have a free ticket for the Sound Tigers game on Sunday starting at 3PM. I'll be there before the game at 12 because I'm officiating a Squirt game at the Arena at Harbor Yard and the hockey association is giving the refs free tickets for themselves and someone else to the game after the game. I would bring someone I know with me but I'll have to leave the game early and I always jump at the opportunity of possibly being axemurdered by someone I met on the internet. :D No PM, so AIM in profile.

Actually maybe. I don't think I have much to do Sunday besides recover from a wedding Saturday night. Let me check with the better half and see whats up. I'll drop you a line if I can. I always enjoy ST games.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
I tried to search back a page or 5 looking for the "shopping cart" tip and must have overlooked it. What is this style?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Gruven posted:

I tried to search back a page or 5 looking for the "shopping cart" tip and must have overlooked it. What is this style?

Just make sure your hands are out in front of you. It's much easier to catch a puck in front of you than in-line with your shoulders.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Gruven posted:

Keep your blocker and trapper in front of your body as if you were pushing a shopping cart. Basically by keep your gloves in front of your body, it allows your gloves to block/obscure more of the net and generally speaking it puts your hands in a better position to make a play on the puck. I think this technique is also referred to as active hands.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Aniki posted:

Keep your blocker and trapper in front of your body as if you were pushing a shopping cart. Basically by keep your gloves in front of your body, it allows your gloves to block/obscure more of the net and generally speaking it puts your hands in a better position to make a play on the puck. I think this technique is also referred to as active hands.
Active hands? Pshaw. Shopping cart is way cooler. That way, you can turn it into a little dance, too, like you're pushing a shopping cart in the super market, putting cereals and pastas and what not in to your cart. The ladies love it, too.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
I've been lurking this thread for a long time, and thought you guys might get a kick out of this. This is the equipment that Toledo's second-string club hockey goalie wears.:911:

In case you were considering picking up a set for patriot-plus stopping power, don't. He let in 14 goals.

gco
May 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Actually maybe. I don't think I have much to do Sunday besides recover from a wedding Saturday night. Let me check with the better half and see whats up. I'll drop you a line if I can. I always enjoy ST games.

Ok, I think I have everything cleared up, so I don't have to leave the game early so I can stay until the end and we can hang out and chat about how awesome goalies are, or, you know, watch the game the entire time. I don't know if you'd want to have like a 6 hour day in Bridgeport but if you came at 12, you might be able to come into the players entrance with me and hang out in the cool places that fans aren't allowed. Otherwise, you can just show up at Sound Tigers game time and I'll find you. Anyway, email/AIM me when you decide if and when you want to go so I know if and when to find you (contolini(dot)g(at)gmail/AIM in profile).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MiamiKid posted:

In case you were considering picking up a set for patriot-plus stopping power, don't. He let in 14 goals.

OH MY GOD ANOTHER PUCK JUST HIT THE BACK OF THE NET :911:

Edit: What a terrible joke. I'm going to not edit it out and leave it here just so I feel shame.

Anyway, I hope it's just me coming off the headcold or something, because I've just not been feeling it the last week. Like, I can go play goal but it's not really FUN right now. I'm not doing terribly poorly, I just can't psych myself up for the games. It's an "ugh I gotta go stand in net for an hour" kind of feeling. I really miss being excited, hopefully that comes back soon :smith:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 29, 2010

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I'm loving pissing myself laughing so even if you edit that poo poo out I will...

... never forget :911:

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Okay, I actually put some effort into the shopping cart stance today. Like really tried it. And I gotta admit, it seemed to work really well. I think it has to do with not relying so heavily on the proprioception that I simply haven't developed yet in my hands.

I also pulled out my calf locks today. I'd been thinking about this for a while but decided to go for it today, and although it at first seemed way too loose, I noticed that I had a way easier time flaring my pads, even my stubborn left leg. I don't think I'll go so far as to also pull off my calf wraps too, but this certainly seems like a good start.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Ugh, I want to play so bad. I have over a month between seasons with no pickup or open practices. It sucks because the last time I was on the ice was the best game I've ever played, so my confidence was super high. I'm probably going to end up driving 100 miles each way just to go play pickup once or twice so I don't entirely die. At least I have no excuse not to do tons of squats and deadlifts in the off time.

I just bought a few of the nice Gatorade water bottles they use in the NHL. I highly recommend them. It's so nice not having to pop the top up.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Hazed_Red posted:

Okay, I actually put some effort into the shopping cart stance today. Like really tried it. And I gotta admit, it seemed to work really well. I think it has to do with not relying so heavily on the proprioception that I simply haven't developed yet in my hands

Over my last few games I've been really trying to work on it, and my weakest part, my blocker, has gotten much, much better. It's pretty amazing how a little tweak like that can make such a difference.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Team USA up there is wearing illegal gear. (size restrictions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba posted:

Team USA up there is wearing illegal gear. (size restrictions)

USA once again flaunting international regulations. Who's gonna stop him? The NHL UN?

• Locked thread