Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

Ugh, I want to play so bad. I have over a month between seasons with no pickup or open practices. It sucks because the last time I was on the ice was the best game I've ever played, so my confidence was super high. I'm probably going to end up driving 100 miles each way just to go play pickup once or twice so I don't entirely die. At least I have no excuse not to do tons of squats and deadlifts in the off time.

I just bought a few of the nice Gatorade water bottles they use in the NHL. I highly recommend them. It's so nice not having to pop the top up.

I have a couple of those bottles as well and my only complaint is that they tend to leak water around the base of the lid/cap, which is not that big of a deal when you are playing, but annoying as Hell if you use them for everyday use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have one of these. It's awesome because I'm a really sloppy drinker, so this way I just stick it between the bars on my cage and either accidentally shove it up my nose, or find my mouth as intended.

And yes, I have accidentally shoved it up my nose before <:mad:>

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also, something weird. It seems like every week I go to the rink I come home with like two more unclaimed hockey pucks. I have thirty-something right now. Going to start providing the pucks for my pickup games soon.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
So I was going to post some footage of the Australian national team and then some footage of our state teams in the N/V thread but someone posted this Gary Bettman poo poo and it was ten times funnier so I'll just post it here:

Australia v Slovenia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yp0mDtcsfY&feature=related (it's cute hearing the Land Down Under song playing after we got scored on).

The Mighty Adelaide Adrenaline playing some other state team (check out the defence on the 2nd goal.. holy lol): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwyqh7s5Ic

Melbourne Ice vs Adelaide Adrenaline (is it just me or is that rink loving TINY?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfHdLcLfyBU&feature=related

So how bad are we? Is this beer league stuff for you guys? In terms of leagues around our country, this would basically be the NHL of Australia (i.e. one below national team).

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

sba posted:

Team USA up there is wearing illegal gear. (size restrictions)

Well they are called NHL size restrictions, not international size restrictions :downsrim:

I bet they're gonna put netting in the goalies' 5-holes and between their arms and legs like wings so they don't let in any softies. While they're at it, they should probably just put bullet proof glass in front of the net and behind Thomas/Miller.

What else can Team USA use to cheat?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

aejix posted:

Melbourne Ice vs Adelaide Adrenaline (is it just me or is that rink loving TINY?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfHdLcLfyBU&feature=related

So how bad are we? Is this beer league stuff for you guys? In terms of leagues around our country, this would basically be the NHL of Australia (i.e. one below national team).

Do you guys not have an offsides rule? At 3:45 the entire white team was offside.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gco posted:

Well they are called NHL size restrictions, not international size restrictions :downsrim:

I bet they're gonna put netting in the goalies' 5-holes and between their arms and legs like wings so they don't let in any softies. While they're at it, they should probably just put bullet proof glass in front of the net and behind Thomas/Miller.

What else can Team USA use to cheat?

Resurrect Garth Snow.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
This is the funnest loving thing I have seen in all of goaltending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n64Nt0WrYfs&feature=related

I could just imagine that poo poo happening to me.. oh man.

As for water.. I love third period water. That is the coldest drink ever.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
So have any of you tried one of these?

http://www.bladetape.ca/products-goalie-bladetape

I like the idea, and they seem to be more than just a gimmick, but I've not actually seen one in action.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I dunno, I like my stick tape because I can throw like four layers of electrical tape on the bottom of the blade to keep it from chipping and wearing from contact to the ice. I guess this wouldn't prevent me from doing that, per se, but it probably wouldn't hold as well.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Hazed_Red posted:

So have any of you tried one of these?

http://www.bladetape.ca/products-goalie-bladetape

I like the idea, and they seem to be more than just a gimmick, but I've not actually seen one in action.

I have it on one of my player sticks and it has its pros and cons that basically fall down into the following question:

Do you find taping and waxing your stick relaxing or a horrible chore?

For my player sticks I don't generally pay much attention to them as I only play outdoor shinny outside the crease to make sure I can still shoot and pass. However with my goal sticks I much prefer to turn a hockey game on, strip the old tape, apply new tape, and seal it. My goal sticks I use much more frequently and generally pay far more attention to the blades and tape. There is a slight change in handling and I find that if the ice is lovely enough the grooves in the blade tape will fill with ice and make it much harder to use the stick whereas a properly taped and waxed stick holds up much better.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Dear Internet, I made an impulse buy today. Please don't judge me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, I hear McKenney gear is pretty good. I see it everywhere here in Hamilton. Congrats!

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I've been using their ProSpec glove for a year or two now and I love it. I fear the day it needs to be replaced.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Hay guys it's been a while. I've been slowly upgrading my gear, I look like a real goalie now! Here is me then.

And now:

Not pictured: Pro-spec Pants I got for Christmas. Gloves are next, those Franklins are getting worn out. The extra 2 inches of pad width is pretty incredible, although I couldn't stop anything 5-hole after I made the switch mid-season. Now that everything is worked out, I'm leading the league in SV% and saves and am 2nd in GAA :woop:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to a skills session last night and I focused on challenging the shooter more and center shifting (e.g. making small movements to stay square with the shooter) and it seemed to make a big difference. I still had some times where I got caught flat-footed, but I only got burned once in the scrimmage because of it. The big thing I noticed is that the players took a lot fewer shots on me, which makes sense since playing out in front of the crease cuts off more of the net and the center shifting made it more difficult for them to move around find an open gap.

There were definitely times where I was worried about cross crease plays, since I think I started playing deeper in the net to allow me to move laterally, but for the most part I was still able to cover from post to post. It's not quite what I just talked about, but I did have one play last night that I was particularly happy with. I was guarding the trapper side post and the puckhandler made a cross-crease pass to set up a one-time in the slot, I read the play and made a hard T-push into a butterfly slide, the shooter tried to lift the puck over my shoulder, but I read his shot and was able to fling my blocker up and direct the shot into the corner. It was a strange play for me, because I combined an explosive movement with pass and shot recognition. I can normally get 1 or 2 out of the 3, so to have everything come together on a bang bang play was really impressive for me.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
crusader donkey, does that happen to be Joe Dumars Fieldhouse you're playing at?

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

My TackiMac grips came today. I hate tape, but CHRIST these were hard to pull on. I'll probably get better with practice, but in fairness, the hand grips I made weren't designed for this. I actually took a ribbed butt for a player stick, cut it, and pulled it to the top of the paddle. Thankfully I probably won't have to replace these for a very long time. My fingers hurt. :(

Before:

After:

I'll be giving them a try on Friday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not concerned about the rubber tearing at the nash in your palm? Looks mighty impressive, but I'd be worried about the extra friction.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Not concerned about the rubber tearing at the nash in your palm? Looks mighty impressive, but I'd be worried about the extra friction.

Not really, no. The manufacturer and a few reviews claimed that it's actually less rough on the gloves than tape. I actually think it will be about the same, with the difference being that it will certainly grip harder, but it won't slide like tape will, thus, maybe less abrasion. We'll see. I did notice right off that I barely need to put any pressure on my grip to keep the stick in my hand now. I'll see on Friday how it performs on the ice.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I just retaped my stick in the locker room before the game.. and well the paint was tearing off and fiberglass fell into my lap. Fiberglass also got all over my fingers and forearms gahhh!

I still did excellent in that game.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

crusader donkey, does that happen to be Joe Dumars Fieldhouse you're playing at?

Sure is, we play Iron Thursday tier 2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hazed_Red posted:

Not really, no. The manufacturer and a few reviews claimed that it's actually less rough on the gloves than tape.

Oh, well then I guess that's good enough for me. Let us know how it works out :)

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Sure is, we play Iron Thursday tier 2.

Nice. The team I used to play for is Iron Thurs Tier 1, and they're awful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any goalies in the Hamilton area feel like playing an 11pm shinny? Our other regular guy can't make it and nobody on our backup list is available. No fee obviously, at Coronation Arena close to McMaster. It's an all-skill shinny so the talent is across the bord.

If you're interested let me know, xxxxx at gmail dot com.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 3, 2012

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

Nice. The team I used to play for is Iron Thurs Tier 1, and they're awful.

Cool man, if you played recently you probably played us and beat us, I'm on Yourmom .com.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."
Anybody here play roller in the Baltimore, MD area?? I just got back into the sport last year after a roughly 14 year absence. I just started out shooting around with my brother in a couple of public rinks we found in the parks here last spring/summer(Overlook and Honeygo Run if anyone is familiar with the area). Found some pickup games at Overlook and talked to a guy who informed me that there is a league at Freestate Sports Arena in White Marsh, which is free for goalies. Went to a couple pickup games there and was asked to play for a team and ended up playing in the fall league last year. I'm currently training for the spring league which should start in April (it sucks, they turf the field and play indoor soccer all winter :( ). I'm currently without a team, so if anyone is in the area and knows of a team needing a goalie, I'm available.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Cool man, if you played recently you probably played us and beat us, I'm on Yourmom .com.

I was on Cobra Kai in Spring 2009. Not as a goalie though.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

wow no poo poo. one of your guys, Josh, played on my team last season

e: I think I have more "one of those games" than anyone in the world. Last night I had one hit me SQUARE in the belt buckle and somehow english itself into the net over my pad. And another where I made a good pad save on a breakaway, only to have the guy chase the rebound behind the net and take a reverse golf swing at it, pop it into the air, off my back, off my skates, and in. They scored 3 goals on deflections (one off me own guy), and I let in 2 softies. At least we came back to tie :sigh:

Before the shootout the ref comes over and says "well you won't have anybody in front to tip these." He said earlier he'd never seen so many dirty goals in one game.

crusader donkey fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 5, 2010

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Oh, well then I guess that's good enough for me. Let us know how it works out :)

So I tried them out on-ice finally. Something I immediately noticed is that they grip. Really hard. Like to the point I started wondering if maybe the hand grip was too much.

On plus side, I had significantly less hand fatigue, I didn't have to adjust my grip nearly as much, and I hung onto my stick a lot easier and with more confidence, especially during scrums in the crease.

On the minus side, there's no really loosening the grip with these. It's either on or off, pretty much. If I saw an opportunity to poke check, I had to make a very deliberate decision to loosen up my grip. I also had some trouble playing the puck behind the net (I'm bad at this anyway though).

As for the butt end, it's perfect. It's light, clean, and convenient. I don't think I'll use anything else.

Overall, I played unusually well during the pickup game. Not sure how much of that can be attributed to the new grips, but I'll be able to see more over time. I'll also be keeping an eye on the wear to my blocker glove.

Hazed_Red fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 6, 2010

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Ditching the Widow-Maker is now officially #1 on my list of purchases. I just bought a used pair of Graf Goaler Pros on eBay.

To make the impending mask purchase more appealing for the goalie fashion whore inside me, I'm toying with the idea of learning some basic mask painting. This thread makes it seem less than impossible. I'd certainly go for something less optimistic design-wise. I'd also have an old mask to mess up with the first attempt if I buy a replacement. Anyone given painting a shot?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've painted three masks now, though each one was either a flat colour, or a really really basic design with straight lines.

If you're going to do an actual design, the only advice i can give you is SPRAY LIGHT. You're going to feel an urge to use more paint than you should, I just about guarantee it. You'll spray some on and it won't instantly cover the entire area so you're going to just spray spray spray. Your better bet is to spray light, wait until it dries, then spray some more. If you don't, you'll get drips and uneven drying like crazy.

Also, if you paint your widowmaker I would beg you to promise you'll never use it again. Being a widowmaker is bad enough, but some paint will actually react with the plastic to make it even more susceptible to cracking and warping.

This is the last one I painted before I decided to just rock a plain black mask:

Edit: I just used spraybombs because there's no way I could afford a good airbrush and compressor.

If you go with a flat colour, the best thing I can recommend is getting a really really really fine grit sandpaper and doing a light sanding of your final colour coat to get a really smooth colour, and only then adding a clearcoat.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 7, 2010

gco
May 8, 2007

So I was browsing goaliemonkey today looking to spend all my money on as much new equipment as possible because that's the only thing I need. I was doing some general looking around with 'pro' highlighted and noticed that all the Nike Bauer One95 stuff is cheaper than the regular pro prices on goaliemonkey. Anyone know what that's about? (i.e. http://goaliemonkey.com/nike-bauer-goalie-leg-pads-supreme-one95-pro.html pro pads for $900) I never see sales beyond Eagle and Itech closing ones on goaliemonkey, and I'm in desperate need of some new mittens.

Also, my new sticks came in and they're fantastic. I highly recommend: http://goaliemonkey.com/rbk-goalie-stick-xpulse-5-sr.html

I don't know what it is about the stick, but my shot is fantastic now, backhands too. Also, I noticed that with a tall shaft, my blocker hand is higher up and can react a split second faster to those top corner snipes.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Simple, one95s are the old and busted fashion and currently one100s are the new hotness. They are simply clearing out the old pro line it looks like. To anyone looking for new gear on the GSBB apparently simmons will be having a sale for a few hours tomorrow and The Goalies Crease is getting ready to have a TPS liquidation sale. It pains me but I may pony up the dough for a new C/A if the price is right.

Also Nike no longer makes goalie equipment if I remember correctly, so that is also a big reason for the discount. I would have caught that earlier but I think I took a few too many shots to the head yesterday.

Space Cadet fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 7, 2010

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Gruven posted:

Did you guys play at the JCC in West Bloomfield?

gco
May 8, 2007

Space Cadet posted:

Simple, one95s are the old and busted fashion and currently one100s are the new hotness. They are simply clearing out the old pro line it looks like. To anyone looking for new gear on the GSBB apparently simmons will be having a sale for a few hours tomorrow and The Goalies Crease is getting ready to have a TPS liquidation sale. It pains me but I may pony up the dough for a new C/A if the price is right.

Also Nike no longer makes goalie equipment if I remember correctly, so that is also a big reason for the discount. I would have caught that earlier but I think I took a few too many shots to the head yesterday.

Well, the One95s are Nike Bauer, as are the One100s but there isn't a mere mention of One100s anywhere on GM, will it be released everywhere in the spring or something? Judging strictly from the graphics, I've only seen the One100 pads on Lundqvist and a few with the gloves/blockers but I've seen a lot more NHL goalies with what appears to be the One95s.

They seem to have plenty of the One95 stocked so as long as it isn't on sale because it gives you AIDS or something, I'll consider picking them up at the cheap price.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

nahanahs posted:

Did you guys play at the JCC in West Bloomfield?

No.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

According to The Goalies Crease the first batches of the one100 pads will be available starting this month which is probably why you see the one95 pads on sale because by march all the gear whores will be moving on to the one100 and the market will be flooded with used pads as winter winds down. There is nothing wrong with them unless you play in some space league where NHL players would be considered weak shots. Chances are the actual differences between the two pads is little more than graphic changes but you have to change the look if you want to keep selling pads year in year out. They will not give you AIDS as far as I know, they are however made in Thailand if I remember correctly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hazed_Red posted:

My TackiMac grips came today. I hate tape, but CHRIST these were hard to pull on. I'll probably get better with practice, but in fairness, the hand grips I made weren't designed for this. I actually took a ribbed butt for a player stick, cut it, and pulled it to the top of the paddle. Thankfully I probably won't have to replace these for a very long time. My fingers hurt. :(

Before:

After:

I'll be giving them a try on Friday.

Is that the way its supposed to be done? I have my goalie stick taped up in a nub for the stick hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Picked up this $600 toy a few weeks ago after the belly pads started floating around in my old one.

It's about 1.5lbs heavier than my old one but fits me much better, is more mobile due to proper sizing, and protects my collar bone a ton more. Jim Brown equipment is top notch stuff and I love this piece.

I've been suffering knee and hip problems which I think are do to my laziness about stretching the past few months. The extra stress placed on the knee when kicking out seems to be bothering an old MCL injury I had. Remember guys stretch every drat day!

• Locked thread