Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Martytoof posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't found a single Fabreeze product that didn't smell like poo poo to me. To the point where I'd almost rather just deal with stagnant hockey smell. I'll have to try and find this though. Took everything out back and hosed it down. Got rid of most of the nasty :q:

Well, in fair warning, this particular one smells, well, candy sweet. Or something, it's hard to describe, but it is hands-down the absolute best deodorizer I have ever tried, the only one that succeeds in getting rid of that "hot death" smell.

At the same time, when your equipment has been festering in a bag for a week, you should probably disinfect that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Ugh. I play two games on Sunday nights now, one at 4PM for the 35+ league (I'm not 35, but there's a chronic shortage of 35+ year old goalies) and one at 7-1OPM for my D6 team. For the 35+ team I am goalie jesus, I routinely making upwards of 35-40 saves and giving up 3-4 goals. You'd think that sort of positive momentum would carry over into the D6 league game, but nooooo. I have not given up less than seven goals in a game for five weeks now.

I'm slumping bad. :(

On a positive note, new mask coming in the mail! It's an Olie MA2000 Pro, and the paint job is uglier than hell, so I'll be practicing my mask painting skills on my widowmaker.

Click here for the full 750x563 image.

Click here for the full 750x563 image.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
To get rid of smells.. this stuff right here.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=174030

Gallon sized concentrate. Mix it up as powerful as you need it. Cheap as hell.. has a fairly decent scent and works like a miracle. My equipment laughs at Febreeze. This stuff is like industrial strength. Spray down your poo poo right after you take it out of your bag and let it air out a bit. I live in a one bedroom apartment and you can't even tell I play hockey until you see the corner where my equipment is stored. Since its all nice out.. take your poo poo outside spray it down in that crap and let it sit in the sun for a bit. If you can leave it outside for a week in the shade or something and it won't smell at all.

I am so prissy about my equipment smelling. All my friends regular gear smells like cat piss because they just leave their bags packed in the trunks of their cars.. and I yell at them constantly.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
New toys arrived in the mail!

I was really worried that these wouldnt fit since they didnt seem to fit right when I buckled them up with my shorts and skates on. Once I had my bauer underarmor stuff and everything on at the rink they fit perfectly. My only complaint is that the knee stack is set up in a way that its not attached or pressed right up against the pad itself. The 5hole coverage on these is insane, they slide great and are game ready out the box as far as looseness goes. The only thing I'd change on them would make the knee wrap more like the Brian's Zero G one but taller and make the knee stack more flush against the pad instead of a detached float.

The Zero G's are up for sale in SA Mart if anyone wants some 36+1's.

titanium fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 4, 2010

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

titanium posted:

The Zero G's are up for sale in SA Mart if anyone wants some 36+1's.

Just as an FYI, you guys can sell gear in this thread, I'm cool with watching over it.

I mean, if you think SA Mart has better visibility, then go for it, but just sayin.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

sba posted:

Just as an FYI, you guys can sell gear in this thread, I'm cool with watching over it.

I mean, if you think SA Mart has better visibility, then go for it, but just sayin.

Cool, I was just being safe, I'll post the info here.

Selling my factory "Dukes Mod'ed" Zero G's.

These are the lightest pro level pads on the market and still have the same durability. Dukes added a tiny bit of leather around the boot to make sure there's not early wear and also closed in part of the calf wrap for better sliding. I requested the sliding toe bridge since it saves your knees and makes it easier to get your blade on the ice for a good butterfly push.

I play with younger NHL and D1 college players and these are 100% up to the task. The only reason I'm getting rid of them is they were a bit stiffer than my 994's.

There's some really minor wear on the inside of the knee towards the front of the pad that happened about 1 month into owning them and it never spread beyond that. The knee wrap straps actually tore off one leg and have ripped a bit on the other but otherwise they've been perfect. You can buy new knee wraps from Brians, they might even give you new ones if you bitch enough.

The Dukes mods can be seen here. http://www.dukes1hockey.com/Pages/briansgear.html

I paid $1500 for these last year and would like to see $780 obo shipped. I'm pretty loose on the price so make an offer.

I sold Space Cadet a TPS Summit Pro glove last year if you want a ref.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

titanium posted:

Cool, I was just being safe, I'll post the info here.

I mean, I wouldn't have encouraged it if I didn't read the thread and have the ability to punish someone who fucks up a transaction or whatever. But everyone in this thread is cool enough, so I don't mind.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

titanium posted:

I sold Space Cadet a TPS Summit Pro glove last year if you want a ref.

It is true, he did in fact sell me his Summit glove last summer. The glove was shipped across the border and still arrived in a timely manner. On top of that the glove was in pretty great condition, with the exception of some hockey stink :p but nothing a good cleaning didn't solve. Would I buy from him again? absolutely, and Titanium if you still have the matching blocker I will have the money for it next week, something magical about matching glove sets...

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Whats the difference between a solid pad and the uh.. bubble knee lookin pad (like yours)? I think I prefer a solid pad but only because its all I have ever used so I don't know no better.

It is really hard to get into playing with nice weather like this.. still played alright tonight even though my skates are dull as hell.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Flat faced pads tend to deflect rebounds out further, but are easier to control rebounds with if you know how to direct them.

Stuffed pads tend to deaden rebounds letting them fall around you, where you can either freeze the puck or send it somewhere using your stick.

It's all in what you prefer. After playing with a flat faced pad I doubt I could go back to stuffed pad and be happy, though it wouldn't be impossible.

As far as construction, the only difference tends to be that one is stuffed with shredded foam so you need defined areas like those knee rolls to keep it where it's supposed to be, while flat faced pads are typically single core foam that's cut for flexibility. It's not going to move around on you so there's no need for extra rolls anywhere on the pad.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Man I wish I was taller. I would love a set of Brian's gear but I wear 33s :(

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Polish posted:

Whats the difference between a solid pad and the uh.. bubble knee lookin pad (like yours)? I think I prefer a solid pad but only because its all I have ever used so I don't know no better.

It is really hard to get into playing with nice weather like this.. still played alright tonight even though my skates are dull as hell.

The Zero G knee bumps solid foam blocks, I didn't notice it help or hurt any really. Zero G's are built the same as any flat faced pad + the (imo) aesthetic bumps. The fact that its this new ultra light block foam is why its a bit stiffer feeling than others.

SpaceCadet yeah I've still got it, I was almost ready to start using it again since the damned fake leather they use on my knuckle guards is flaking apart. I dont know why they started using that poo poo for the S7 but drat is it dumb. I've got some decent anti stink spray that I'll apply a few times to the glove before I ship it.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Am I wrong for thinking these are the most loving cool pads I have ever seen? Apparently they're from a small custom shop in MA - so I have no idea how protective or how they play - but god drat do they look nice!

Click here for the full 800x627 image.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
We actually did some goalie drills at the skills session today, nothing I hadn't done before, but they did actually seem to help me with maintaining proper depth in the crease. Basically it's the drill where you start at the post, T-push to the corner of the crease, square up, butterfly, and then T-push to the opposite corner of the crease, square up, and then butterfly again. It helped to make me more aware of where I should be lining up in the crease, and obviously it helps with crease movements and recoveries, which is a bonus. It also reminds me that I should be trying slide and T-push horizontally across the crease instead of T-pushing/sliding diagonally across the crease (e.g. racing the shooter to the post). There is a time when the latter is appropriate, but not to the extent that I have been using it.

Other than that, I bounced back from Sunday and played really well. I still had some 5-hole discipline issues, but my crease movement and skating was strong, and I did a better job of challenging the shooter and not playing too deep in the crease.

Just out of curiosity, can any of you guys do crossovers with your goalie gear on? I suspect it wouldn't be too bad if I had a background in skating out, but as much as my skating has improved, crossovers continue to confound me.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Aniki posted:

Just out of curiosity, can any of you guys do crossovers with your goalie gear on? I suspect it wouldn't be too bad if I had a background in skating out, but as much as my skating has improved, crossovers continue to confound me.

Yeah, but I never use them in actual game situations. It's kind of awkward and pretty useless to do a full 100% crossover, but I can do it if I really feel like it while doing warmup laps or whatever.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Crossovers are good to get behind the net fast if you need to otherwise you're not going to need them often. Also a little note when you're doing those positional drills, be sure to find some point to look at when going to each position (face off dot, blue line on the boards, red line on the boards, etc) . Its important to do this so you get in the "head > hands > feet" flow of moving.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can do a crossover if I really need to, but it's pretty awkward.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
38/42 in my first game back playing after having my appendix out last night

first goal i let in was horrendous though, dropped a rebound that i easily could have covered right to a wide open guy in the slot :cool:

playing again tonight, so hopefully that goes well too!

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

We had to cancel our team this season cause we couldn't find enough skaters :(

I knew a guy on the team we were supposed to play last night and the rink gave them the floor for the game time so at least I got to get out and play one last time. I also got to sub the first 5 minutes or so of the next game cause their guy was running late, so now I'm really going to miss it having got some last minute game action :(

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Aniki posted:

I find crossovers while moving froward to be far too awkward. If you watch lots of NHL goaltenders, they tend to do an open shuffle when they need to turn quickly. You essentially push with your back skate and glide with the inside edge of your front skate, and then bring the front skate up and place it deeper into the turn, pushing off with your back skate again. The shuffle pattern of your feet is what makes you turn in.

Now crossing over while going backwards is certainly practical, but going forwards? Do the shuffle, baby.

Edit: I'm an idiot, I meant the outside edge.

Hazed_blue fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 8, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't imagine any game situation where a goalie would atcually need to crossover. Maybe that's just me though.

Also thinking about trying to skate out soon. If you thought I was a lousy goalie, prepare to be amazed as I lower the bar as an actual skater.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_blue posted:

I find crossovers while moving froward to be far too awkward. If you watch lots of NHL goaltenders, they tend to do an open shuffle when they need to turn quickly. You essentially push with your back skate and glide with the inside edge of your front skate, and then bring the front skate up and place it deeper into the turn, pushing off with your back skate again. The shuffle pattern of your feet is what makes you turn in.

Now crossing over while going backwards is certainly practical, but going forwards? Do the shuffle, baby.

I'll try the shuffle method that you mentioned. I figure that being able to crossover isn't a vital goalie skill, but it would be nice for me to have some means of turning quickly. I'm perfectly fine with wide turns, but the tight/quick turns are hard for me, but I think those would only come into play when I'm playing the puck behind the net.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Aniki posted:

I'll try the shuffle method that you mentioned. I figure that being able to crossover isn't a vital goalie skill, but it would be nice for me to have some means of turning quickly. I'm perfectly fine with wide turns, but the tight/quick turns are hard for me, but I think those would only come into play when I'm playing the puck behind the net.

You can also try that thing where you lift up the toe of your inside skate and pivot around your heel. I use it almost exclusively for my initial turn when I go behind the net to grab a dump-in.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I can't imagine any game situation where a goalie would atcually need to crossover. Maybe that's just me though.

Coming out of your net quickly to play a puck that was rimmed hard around the boards. (edit: but people beat me to the punch on this)

Anyways, practicing crossovers to get better at crossovers isn't really the point though, it's to work on quickness, agility, and pad control. Duckwalks and Worms don't serve any in-game purpose either, but they're a great thing to practice because the things they make you work on are used all the time during a game.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
After playing ~3 months in pads that are comically short for me, I decided to actually buy some new pads that won't have a 5" gap between my legs...

Since this thread is awesome, I decided to "give back" by seeing if anybody wants my old stuff cheap. Maybe there is somebody lurking or whatever who needs some cheap poo poo to get started or something...

1. 32" Itech 7.8 X-Factor pads
Mid-level pads, I believe. Probably about 5 years old, but I bought them new 3 months ago and have been using them for those three months. They work just fine, they are just too short for me. The plastic clip for the top strap on the right pad broke. I didn't really miss it after it broke and I stopped using the left one afterwards, too. Also, if you like, includes the extra "knee-stacks" I made out of craft foam and the fake flex-toe I made out of shock-cord. Looking for $125 + shipping.

2. "large" TPS Pants
They are "large" but I had to dance to get into them. Probably fit more like a medium or small. There's an elastic strap in front that I sewed back on itself so it wouldn't slide out of the clip. Also, the lacing in the front is odd, and I'm not sure how it's supposed to be, so I just laced it so it sorta worked. Protection is fine, but mobility felt very meh in them; I felt like I was fighting the pants to get back to standing, but that may have just been my weak-as-poo poo legs. Used twice. Looking for $25 + shipping.

I have pictures if you are interested.

Also, Perani's is having a huge goalie sale next Friday, so if I find a new C/A I like, somebody can have the one I got from Joey Walnuts.

EDIT: forgot to mention I am going to hold on to the pads until my new ones come in, just in case. So, I'd send them out next Thursday at the earliest.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 7, 2010

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm going to the Optometrist in the next couple weeks and I currently play hockey without wearing my glasses and I am wondering how much wearing contacts when I play might help? I know that everyone's vision is different, but have you guys had better success tracking shots or experienced any discomfort when you've played while wearing contacts?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since I'm nearsighted, the only time I played without my glasses I wasn't able to see any shots coming from the blue line. Like it was all a blur of motion until it hit the dots.

I am going to say that your experience will improve 100%. No discomfort either, but I'm a pro at contact lenses. I sleep in the fuckers too.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Aniki posted:

I'm going to the Optometrist in the next couple weeks and I currently play hockey without wearing my glasses and I am wondering how much wearing contacts when I play might help? I know that everyone's vision is different, but have you guys had better success tracking shots or experienced any discomfort when you've played while wearing contacts?
Your eyes think contacts are a bit weird at first because they're not used to them but eventually they'll feel like nothing is on your eye. I can't imagine trying to play hockey in glasses but that's because I'm drat near blind and my glasses are thick as hell, which is why I always, always wear my contacts.

Also Marty yer nuts for sleeping in your contacts. I have disposables that I could sleep in but there's no way I want to because the times I forget to I hate waking up to really dry eyes.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Since I'm nearsighted, the only time I played without my glasses I wasn't able to see any shots coming from the blue line. Like it was all a blur of motion until it hit the dots.

I am going to say that your experience will improve 100%. No discomfort either, but I'm a pro at contact lenses. I sleep in the fuckers too.

I've always avoided contacts, because I hate the idea of having something directly on my eyes, but if I am going try them for any reason, then it would be for hockey. I'm far-sighted in one eye and near-sighted in the other. What seems to happen is that I'll watch the puck come off the stick, lose it once it's in the air, and then I anticipate where the shot will go based off of the angle of the stick and how hard I perceive the shot to be. The weird thing is that I seem to do a good job of picking up on defectlions in the air, I don't know if there's something about the sudden change of direction that's easier for my eyes to pick up midair than watching the puck move in a consistent trajectory, but I guess it could be selection bias on my part.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

real_scud posted:

Also Marty yer nuts for sleeping in your contacts. I have disposables that I could sleep in but there's no way I want to because the times I forget to I hate waking up to really dry eyes.

I'm the king of stretching the 2 week disposable. I've had these in for like 2 months straight without taking them out.

Wait that's not true, I took them out to go swimming.

Aniki, the thing with contacts is that the more you wear them the less you'll feel anything in your eye. It will bug the gently caress out of you for the first few days I bet though, don't let it dissuade you from wearing them though.

I obviously can't guarantee a thing, but I ALMOST guarantee you'll see an instant improvement in your game because you won't have to anticipate and you'll be able to clearly track. If I can recommend anything it would be that you take them off and put them on at home, after you've taken a shower or washed your hands at least. I took them off after a game at the rink once and got an eye infection for like a month.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Martytoof posted:

I'm the king of stretching the 2 week disposable. I've had these in for like 2 months straight without taking them out.

Do you want a cornea ulcer?

I started playing in glasses, and then moved to contacts after a couple of months. Contacts are better in every conceivable way. No fog, wider field of view, no slipping down the bridge of the nose, no rubbing inside the mask... Very much improved my game.

It's funny actually, I didn't realize until I got them that I had been subconsciously breathing shallow to avoid fogging my glasses. So they even helped improve my aerobic capacity.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Had not a great night tonight. Saw about 5 shots, 2 went in. One was a shallow angle shot where I was still inside the post as if the puck was down low. Went five hole and I was in a horrible position because I couldn't really go down. Second was a breakaway, got beat outside the right pad. Pretty much means I was too deep, right?

Anyways, the team in front of has been pretty dominant in terms of holding the puck and not letting shots get to me, so maybe I'm having focus issues? Gave up two goals that I could've stopped fairly easily if I'm in the right position. Anybody deal with that and/or have any hints? I'm rocking the GAA, but the save percentage is probably in the 700's...

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

We had to cancel our team this season cause we couldn't find enough skaters :(

I knew a guy on the team we were supposed to play last night and the rink gave them the floor for the game time so at least I got to get out and play one last time. I also got to sub the first 5 minutes or so of the next game cause their guy was running late, so now I'm really going to miss it having got some last minute game action :(

Sucks that your team had to drop out this season. If Josh from Cobra Kai knew ahead of time he probably could have found some replacements for you guys. If only my groin would heal I would have been up for it. :argh:

Gruven fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 8, 2010

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only one that did this

I'm going on week 6 of my current pair now :hfive:

Edit: And I'm about to go swimming with them in :smug:

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Gruven posted:

Sucks that your team had to drop out this season. If Josh from Cobra Kai knew ahead of time he probably could have found some replacements for you guys. If only my groin would heal I would have been up for it. :argh:

Man I just realized Thursday was technically a goon-meet, it was way less nerdy than I imagined :v:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

gigabitnokie posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only one that did this

I'm going on week 6 of my current pair now :hfive:

Edit: And I'm about to go swimming with them in :smug:
I used to go 5/6 weeks on one pair but then I started to get some infections in my eyes so I just try to stretch 'em to a month and I'll go 6 weeks but that's usually the most.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Finally got to play goal in my new (2-3 year old model but still never used) Brian's DX3 pads, pretty satisfied with them.

Unsatisfied with my inability to stop shots with my blocker, seems more hit my finger tips than my blocker. Guess that comes with being a noob goalie though. Fingernail on index finger was bleeding inside the blocker glove, hopefully it doesn't get infected. The blood blister in my finger tip is now taunting me to stab it although I'm sure that's not the smartest move.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It sounds almost like you're trying to instinctively catch the puck with your blocker hand, rather than punching at it with the back of your hand. It may sound stupid, but think of your blocker hand like an old timey knight's shield.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Man I just realized Thursday was technically a goon-meet, it was way less nerdy than I imagined :v:

Yeah I was the guy in the white Labatt Blue jersey who was too tired to help you on defense. And kept calling you by your forum name since I forgot your real name until the end. That was nerdy enough I suppose.

Martytoof posted:

It sounds almost like you're trying to instinctively catch the puck with your blocker hand, rather than punching at it with the back of your hand. It may sound stupid, but think of your blocker hand like an old timey knight's shield.

I guess my right hand is confused and wishes it had a glove on it. The knight shield makes sense, I'll try to keep that in mind and see if it reminds me to not leave my fingers so exposed when trying to make a blocker save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the other hand, maybe you're a natural full-right goalie (assuming you're playing regular now). How is your glove hand? You don't find yourself trying to block with the catch glove, right?

There's no shame in being full-right, other than it's all-wrong :smug:

• Locked thread