Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Gruven posted:

something for the female goaltenders to think about.

I have no idea how I feel about this. I do think it would be pretty awesome if I could convince my whole team to wear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Gruven posted:

Did a google search and found them at Hockeyjerseysdirect

Also found this on another site:

screw that I want one

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally a jersey to get shooters to stop thinking about my fivehole.

Or maybe it would encourage it I don't know.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Gruven posted:

Did a google search and found them at Hockeyjerseysdirect

Also found this on another site:

That would be where I got it from. It shipped from Canada so that kinda killed me with the increase in rate, but it was worth it. I just love classing up the rink.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

Too bad I've gotten so used to "goalies skate free" :bang:

I skated out for the first time in four years (two primary assists :hellyeah:) and when they told me it'd be $15 afterward, I was like, "for what?"

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks for reminding me I have pick-up tonight, fellas! I always forget.

Wait no I just hate "Well since we have one goalie let's just play half-court"

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Funkutron5000 posted:

That would be where I got it from. It shipped from Canada so that kinda killed me with the increase in rate, but it was worth it. I just love classing up the rink.

I want one badly but the site says a minimum order of 12. Dag nabbit.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
So I'm trying to buy goalie equipment and like others have said it's a bit mind-boggling in the equipment available.

Ideally I'd like to get a set and not look like a weird patchwork goalie.

I saw this on sale at Goaliemonkey and am wondering how it is? It seems like it's not super high level stuff, but isn't garbage basement level either, which I've come to realize really does make a difference in hockey equipment.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Joey Walnuts posted:

I ordered it from here: http://www.hockeyjerseysdirect.com/hjd/projoy-sub4.asp

https://secure.damagesports.com/hjd/order.asp (direct link to the purchasing page)

They had no problem with me buying a single jersey, though it would be way more awesome to have an entire team wearing them.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Joey Walnuts posted:

I'm sure there is 12 of us on here who'd be willing to put an order together...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

So I'm trying to buy goalie equipment and like others have said it's a bit mind-boggling in the equipment available.

Ideally I'd like to get a set and not look like a weird patchwork goalie.

I saw this on sale at Goaliemonkey and am wondering how it is? It seems like it's not super high level stuff, but isn't garbage basement level either, which I've come to realize really does make a difference in hockey equipment.

It looks like those should be fine. Senior level gear has improved ALOT in the past couple years, so those should be good pads to get you started. It also looks like they have a Vaughn 7400 Sr set for $764.99, though their sizing options are limited. They also have a set of Bauer XR8 Sr pads for $694.48. Any of those three options should be a really good starting point.

Also, stay away from the bundles that include masks, since the Itech/Bauer 1400 mask isn't safe.

Edit: You didn't mention sizing, but is important looking at pads. Let us know your height and also take a tape measure and measure from the center of the ball (outside) of your ankle to the middle of the knee cap. Give us that measurement in inches and it will be your ATK (Ankle to Knee). It's not a failsafe way of telling which pads will fit you, but that coupled with your height should give us a good idea of what size pad you should start with.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 21, 2010

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

It looks like those should be fine. Senior level gear has improved ALOT in the past couple years, so those should be good pads to get you started. It also looks like they have a Vaughn 7400 Sr set for $764.99, though their sizing options are limited. They also have a set of Bauer XR8 Sr pads for $694.48. Any of those three options should be a really good starting point.

Also, stay away from the bundles that include masks, since the Itech/Bauer 1400 mask isn't safe.

Edit: You didn't mention sizing, but is important looking at pads. Let us know your height and also take a tape measure and measure from the center of the ball (outside) of your ankle to the middle of the knee cap. Give us that measurement in inches and it will be your ATK (Ankle to Knee). It's not a failsafe way of telling which pads will fit you, but that coupled with your height should give us a good idea of what size pad you should start with.
Yeah I've been meaning to measure just so I can figure out from the clearance things I see I'd be able to buy, I'll try to do it when I get home in an hour or so.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 21, 2010

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Looks like my ATK is 16", I wear a 9.5 in normal ice-skates and the thigh measurement would be 8" I'm guessing so that'd put me at a 33.5" right?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

real_scud posted:

Looks like my ATK is 16", I wear a 9.5 in normal ice-skates and the thigh measurement would be 8" I'm guessing so that'd put me at a 33.5" right?

Yeah get some 34". My ATK is 17 and I wear 34 so you should be pretty good with that. If you can, get to a pro-shop and try some stuff on.

Also, these are the pads I have (cept mine are old rear end 6k) http://www.goaliemonkey.com/reebok-goalie-equipment-combo-p3-7k-turco-sr.html

They are still holding strong with some lovely sew jobs and dental floss.. but they work pretty nice. Cept the glove.. the glove loving blows.

Onto my glove issue.. my glove is so beat to poo poo and causes so many pop-outs but I just can't afford a new one right now. Even though I want a new one, this one is so broken in and it feels great and so easy to catch with.. I'm torn if I should shell out some cash and buy a new one or just stay with this one until a puck goes through the netting.. or through my hand...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ATK is a good indication to get you in the ballpark, but definitely go try some on. A 33" pad varies from one manufacturer to another. I wore 34" in Vaughn, but I wear a 35" in Reebok. There's also enough play with sizing that you want to get something that will cover your fivehole nicely.

Try some pads on and if your knees fall either squarely on the landing gear or within acceptable limits then that's the size for you for that particular pad.

I'm definitely not recommending the Garth Snow style of 39+10 goalie pads, but if you think you're a 33 then I think you can safely look at a 34" or MAYBE even a 35" pad. All depends on where your knees fall.

Also don't forget that going too big will also bite you in the rear end. You might have problems landing your butterfly if your pads try to stack coming down. Plus they might just get in the way of each other in general.

e: My ATK was 17.5

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Polish posted:

Yeah get some 34". My ATK is 17 and I wear 34 so you should be pretty good with that. If you can, get to a pro-shop and try some stuff on.

Martytoof posted:

Try some pads on and if your knees fall either squarely on the landing gear or within acceptable limits then that's the size for you for that particular pad.
There's only one problem with trying stuff on.

I live in FL and there's not exactly a lot of places nearby that have pads. Looked in the rink the other night before my game and they only had one pair of pads in, think they were a 36 or something but I think there might be a shop run by some ex-NHL guy that has a bunch of pads so that's about my only hope in trying before I buy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

real_scud posted:

There's only one problem with trying stuff on.

I live in FL and there's not exactly a lot of places nearby that have pads. Looked in the rink the other night before my game and they only had one pair of pads in, think they were a 36 or something but I think there might be a shop run by some ex-NHL guy that has a bunch of pads so that's about my only hope in trying before I buy.

Yeah I thought there was some goalie shop in Orlando. Alternately, they usually had a few pads at the Brandon Ice Sports Forum pro shop just down the I4 corridor. That's where I used to play and I used to go there to try stuff on all the time. I haven't lived in Florida for almost four years now though, so they might have changed that. Give them a call maybe if you can't find something in Orlando. It's just an hour's drive and is right off I75 in Brandon.

e: You can also just try talking to other goalies who look like they're your size and asking them if you can try their pads on for size. The one thing about living in Florida is that all the goalies I played with were a pretty close bunch.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I thought there was some goalie shop in Orlando. Alternately, they usually had a few pads at the Brandon Ice Sports Forum pro shop just down the I4 corridor.
Hmm thanks for the heads up about the other place. I think the wife and I are headed to Tampa in the near future and if I can't find anything local I'll try to check it out when we go over.

I figure from when I was younger and playing roller and not being able to really be a true butterfly goalie it'd be my best bet to get a hybrid pad instead of a pure butterfly set?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It probably matters to a point, but I honestly don't think it'll make that much difference if you're just starting out.

These days I'm not even sure what the real difference is. Hybrid pads seem to be more of the stuffed pads which help you deaden rebounds right in front of you which I guess could help if you're not good at directing rebounds.

I honestly would just buy whatever feels best on you right now. If that's a pad with more break and rolls then that's good, if it's a flat faced butterfly pad then that's OK too.

If you're going to go to ISF I'd give them a call first to see if they actually have any pads in. To be honest I don't think it was a big priority for them so they just happened to have stuff in stock but it wasn't an AMAZING selection, maybe 8 or 10 different pads.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Well, today was my first day ever on the ice. All in all, I did way better than I thought I would. I only fell one time, and my fall wasn't really skating related. I decided to be a genius and jump over the boards after taking a break. I didn't grab the boards when I jumped over, and next thing I knew my feet were above my head. Whoops. Next time I skate, I think I'm gonna work more on actually stopping instead of running into the boards.

I got fitted for some stuff (or at least taught how to fit myself), but the downside is I still can't afford to buy myself anything, and my family kinda balked at the costs of gear (even for a skater vs a goaltender). Looks like I'm just working on fundamentals and stuff until I get some extra cash laying around or a set of pads and a mask materialize on my doorstep.

All in all, skating was pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to going back. Ice skating was definitely way more fun than rollerblading ever was.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Melchiresa posted:

Well, today was my first day ever on the ice. All in all, I did way better than I thought I would. I only fell one time, and my fall wasn't really skating related. I decided to be a genius and jump over the boards after taking a break. I didn't grab the boards when I jumped over, and next thing I knew my feet were above my head. Whoops. Next time I skate, I think I'm gonna work more on actually stopping instead of running into the boards.

I got fitted for some stuff (or at least taught how to fit myself), but the downside is I still can't afford to buy myself anything, and my family kinda balked at the costs of gear (even for a skater vs a goaltender). Looks like I'm just working on fundamentals and stuff until I get some extra cash laying around or a set of pads and a mask materialize on my doorstep.

All in all, skating was pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to going back. Ice skating was definitely way more fun than rollerblading ever was.

Used gear can be super cheap. I'd look into it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My pad got caught on the door frame on my way out onto the ice on Tuesday. Fell on my face. Great way to start an hour, but at least I set the bar pretty low :3:

Also, I can't stress this enough. If you're just picking up ice skating, for the love of god get a pair of kneepads and wrist supports (and maybe cheap hockey gloves). The kneepads can be cheap rear end rollerblade kneepads, it doesn't matter. There is nothing so offputting like sitting on the bench with bruised knees or being worried about snapping your wrist after a fall. Gloves aren't really necessary but if you can score a pair of those rollerblade wrist supports with the metal rod that keeps you from breaking your wrist then that really helps too.

Basically the less you worry about hurting yourself, the less you'll be afraid to push yourself.

I don't mean to come across as condescending so sorry if I do -- I just know this helped me more than anything. Once I wasn't afraid of the ice, pushing myself and trying things I wouldn't normally try became a nonissue.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2010

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I've been skating for 18 years and playing goal for a year, and I still fall, sometimes spectacularly. Last game my edge stuck in a rut during warmups so I did an awesome flailing arms fall onto my back in front of the whole team. (Always make sure if you want to be a true goalie to bust out the water bottle in the area you fell, then wipe it around.) My favorite wipeout was jumping over the boards and getting the thigh rise of my last pad stuck on the boards. I did a superman dive from three feet up onto the ice, then took a bow.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

ManicJason posted:

I did a superman dive from three feet up onto the ice, then took a bow.

Someday I hope to be as graceful as you :3:

Martytoof posted:

Helpful advice

Oh no, you aren't being condescending at all! It's all actually really good advice. I didn't think to grab knee or elbow padding (or something to pad my rear end considering the spectacular plunge I took this afternoon). I'll definitely keep it in mind the next time I go out on the ice. I know I was afraid to practice stopping or changing direction because I was worried about falling (and hitting the really little kids).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awersome. As far as stopping goes, I'll crosspost what I posted in the general Hockey thread:

Martytoof posted:

You probably couldn't get it [snowplow stop] to work because you don't have a good indication of how much pressure to put where on your feet, and what angle your blades should be. Your blades dig into the ice and all your snow plow turns into is just your feet slamming into each other.

Try bracing yourself against the boards (facing the boards) and using each foot (separately) to sort of lightly scrape the ice to either side. This helps you figure out where to put pressure on each foot so the blade just scrapes the ice and doesn't dig in.

It's kind of hard to explain, but if you give this a shot I'm confident it'll start to click after a few days.

The good news is that once it clicks it's literally a no brainer to transform a snowplow into a one-foot hockey stop (it's literally just a more aggressive snowplow on one foot). Then you can add the other foot and you're golden. The only thing you need is a good idea of what angle your feet should be at and where to put the pressure.

I think this is probably the most important thing about skating -- knowing how much pressure and what angle to put on your skate so you have X amount of dig into the ice. It's also arguably the most important thing about being a goalie, because any goalie won't shuffle worth a drat if they're not confident in their edges.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 22, 2010

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
One thing that helped me with stopping, is that straightening out your back when you begin to lose your balance really helps. I always afraid to do hockey stops, because I felt off-balanced and figuring out how to regain my balance when stopping made me much more confident about hockey stopping.

I think you will find that your experience inline skating will help a lot, it's not quite the same as ice skating, but it's similar enough that you'll mostly have your balance and skating mechanics figured out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What really helped ME with a hockey stop is doing it one legged first. If your mechanics are sound it's a lot easier to coordinate one leg on the ice and let the other leg lift. Then again it was sort of a crutch -- for the longest time I couldn't do a two footed hockey stop, and the one footer isn't as "on a dime" as planting both feet.

YMMV.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
What I wanna know is why I can hockey stop and slide and do everything on my left foot.. but can do absolutely nothing on my right. It makes for roughing up the ice a hell of a time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
After watching the Sharks-Blackhawks game tonight, I came to the conclusion that Nabokov is the goalie who reminds me the most of myself. Which NHL goaltenders remind you the most of your style of play?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Last year Halak. This year I'm more Chris Mason.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Marc-Andre Fleury

aka: you're never sure which version of me will show up, the good one or the bad one

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When I'm in net it always feels like we're bleeding so I'm gonna say ol' Clint.

But seriously, I have to say Nabby too.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Clint.

That's my name :clint:

Going with Niemi since we're both tall keepers with big pads that stay super low to look through screens.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the new Bauer Pro Senior C/A? I've been giving serious consideration toward replacing my RBK Premiere 2 6K for a while now and am highly interested in the Bauer but would prefer more information than I currently have.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/bauer-goalie-chest-protector-pro-monkey-spec-sr.html

Cons of the RBK:
- Really low-hanging neck. Even with a throat bib and dangler there are still gaps around the neck where pucks get through.
- Less-than-optimal arm protection. Direct hits usually result in a bruise.
- Awful elastic straps, totally shot at this point.
- I don't feel confident behind it.

Pros of the Bauer:
- Much higher neck.
- More substantial arm and shoulder protection.
- Padded and vented back.
- Longer belly, tapered floaters.
- Buckles that actually serve a purpose.

The only other C/A I've been interested in was the Vaughn V4 7600, but mostly by reputation. The Bauer seems to be more thoughtfully designed when comparing them side-by-side. Any thoughts?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_Red posted:

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the new Bauer Pro Senior C/A? I've been giving serious consideration toward replacing my RBK Premiere 2 6K for a while now and am highly interested in the Bauer but would prefer more information than I currently have.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/bauer-goalie-chest-protector-pro-monkey-spec-sr.html

Cons of the RBK:
- Really low-hanging neck. Even with a throat bib and dangler there are still gaps around the neck where pucks get through.
- Less-than-optimal arm protection. Direct hits usually result in a bruise.
- Awful elastic straps, totally shot at this point.
- I don't feel confident behind it.

Pros of the Bauer:
- Much higher neck.
- More substantial arm and shoulder protection.
- Padded and vented back.
- Longer belly, tapered floaters.
- Buckles that actually serve a purpose.

The only other C/A I've been interested in was the Vaughn V4 7600, but mostly by reputation. The Bauer seems to be more thoughtfully designed when comparing them side-by-side. Any thoughts?

I've heard that the Bauer is a tank, but from what I understand it is not very mobile. If you want top level protection, but some mobility, then you could consider a Brown 2200 or 2300, but those generally come at a price premium compared to other C/As. The V4 7600 is a good unit, I tried it on last weekend, it has triple-layer shoulders and appears to be an improvement over the V3 C/A's. If you want good protection, but still want a mobile C/A, then the 2010 Vaughn Epic 8800 is a good option. It is a little more mobile than the V4 and they completely revamped that model of C/A this year, so its protection is on par if not slightly better than the V4. They added thicker foam in the biceps, it has triple layer shoulders like the V4 7600, and through two sessions I have yet to feel a thing in this C/A. I can post pictures if you are interested.

It really comes down to your style of play. If you are a Profly (e.g. blocking) goalie, then the Brown and Bauer C/As will be your best option. If you more of a Hybrid goaltender and desire more mobility, then I would look at the new Epic (Goalie Monkey doesn't carry it yet, but I know a few shops who do) or V4. Really all 4 of those C/As are good options, it just depends on your style of play and priorities for protection.

I will say that confidence in your C/A is a big deal. If you don't feel confident, then subconsciously, you start to play more passive and you won't take the same risks, especially on recoveries. When you have a C/A that you are confident in, then you'll find yourself much more willing to do anything to stop the puck, because you aren't worried about hurting yourself.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 22, 2010

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Aniki posted:

I will say that confidence in your C/A is a big deal. If you don't feel confident, then subconsciously, you start to play more passive and you won't take the same risks, especially on recoveries. When you have a C/A that you are confident in, then you'll find yourself much more willing to do anything to stop the puck, because you aren't worried about hurting yourself.

I would say this with any of your gear. When my dangler broke I was being super cautious and it really showed. Got a new one and my game turned back around.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Got at call last minute to play tonight.. roller. Little did I know, this team was 0-10 last season. We ended up losing 8-3. The puck was not on my side tonight.. first goal was off the side of my helmet right behind me, uhg. I somehow got beat four times on my stick side, routine stops that I have made hundreds of times but tonight couldn't seem to stop them. The rest were just crap that trickled in or smacked in while sitting on my pad. We were on the two man advantage and my d man coughed up for a puck for a nice breakaway, luckily I stopped that one. Fat dude also fell on my arm and I thought it was gonna break. Jammed my wrist while slamming the butt of my stick into the ground too. :smithicide:

All in all a bad night for me. Shots were 10-53. So I guess I didn't do too bad.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Got at call last minute to play tonight.. roller. Little did I know, this team was 0-10 last season. We ended up losing 8-3. The puck was not on my side tonight.. first goal was off the side of my helmet right behind me, uhg. I somehow got beat four times on my stick side, routine stops that I have made hundreds of times but tonight couldn't seem to stop them. The rest were just crap that trickled in or smacked in while sitting on my pad. We were on the two man advantage and my d man coughed up for a puck for a nice breakaway, luckily I stopped that one. Fat dude also fell on my arm and I thought it was gonna break. Jammed my wrist while slamming the butt of my stick into the ground too. :smithicide:

All in all a bad night for me. Shots were 10-53. So I guess I didn't do too bad.

I guess that's better than being the goalie who only faced 10 shots and stood around all night, but I imagine that somewhere around 25-30 shots would be the optimal amount that you'd want to face.

I've been sick for the past couple days, so I had to skip hockey today, which is driving me nuts. Hopefully, I'll be feeling good enough to play on Tuesday.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Finished my first regular season tonight with an awesome 5-1 victory. Our team is 10-4-3 (ties) and heading into the playoffs as the #2 seed. :q:

Their only goal was on a beautiful backdoor slap-pass from the point. I can live with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Congrats!

I kind of feel like I need to get back into a league. My play has literally plummeted these past three years, mostly because I just play organized shinny instead of league. I could blame people not bothering to play D in a loose shinny game, but I think the real reason I'm not doing well is that I have no real incentive to compete. Why throw my back out at 11pm making a crazy diving save when nobody is keeping score?

That or my attitude just needs a major adjustment. Look at it as a time to practice new stuff. Right now it's becoming more of a chore; something I'm obligated to do every week, rather than something I should be looking forward to.

Though I guess in my defence on the quality-of-play slipping, the shooters here in Ontario are only like a thousand times faster/better shots than the people I played with in Tampa. I'm not even sure I should be comparing the two.

• Locked thread