Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You may dislike the character, but she has always obviously been the female lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a debaser
May 9, 2008
I'm just wondering why Joop wasn't in the church at the end of the show?

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Has anyone noticed yet that the concept art for "The Incident Room" kind of looks like a futuristic version of the Cork Temple? Just another parallel between the two constructs.

Also, I've noticed people are getting really hung up on when or how the Losties "created" the purgatory. I'm pretty sure Christian only meant that it was created from the merging of all of their post-death subconscious and not created during some event during their lives/the course of the show, that's just thinking about it too hard and taking it too literally.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Sorry I have to ask, can you link to the concept art?

I can absolutely see the link between the two structures.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

The Source "pond" also has ducts all around the way the Exploded Hatch wreckage had.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That's a big story by itself - the stone technology in The Source. It was clearly man-made, had insignias, and served a specific purpose. Someone built it - one assumes before Jacob and Smokey, yes?

If so, then is it safe to assume the wall MiB was breaking down at the end of "Across the Sea" was part of this same construction, or at least made by the same people - that is: MiB did not build that wall, he found it by digging to it.

ITILPrince
Nov 3, 2007
Hell's Project Manager

bowser posted:

What are the chances that LOST will win any of those? I don't know what the competition is.

I'm betting Allison Janney wins for her single episode, and the rest of the Lost winners are all technical awards. Not because that's what's deserved, but because that's how the stupid system works.

Here's my list of actual predicted winners:
Outstanding Guest Actress In A Drama Series: Allison Janney (”Across The Sea”)
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series: Stephen Semel, Mark J. Goldman, Christopher Nelson, Henk Van Eeghan (”The End”)
Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series: “The End”
Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour): “The End”
Outstanding Art Direction For A Single-Camera Series: “Ab Aeterno”
Outstanding Costumes For A Series: “Ab Aeterno”
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series: Doreen Schultz Marchetti, Rita Troy, Patricia Gundlach, Joanne Miyata (”Ab Aeterno”)
Outstanding Makeup For A Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic): Steve LaPorte, Department Head Makeup Artist; Chantal Boom’la, Makeup Artist

Also, Boom'la is an awesome name.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

a debaser posted:

I'm just wondering why Joop wasn't in the church at the end of the show?
Joop succeeded Hurley as the island protector, and will keep the position indefinitely.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

Bobx66 posted:

What is the one thing that everyone wishes they would have expanded on?

Personally it was the Egyptians for me. However I can appreciate that none of the existing characters can tell that story.

Going by that logic It is incredible the amount of information that died with Allison Janey's character. Also who thought Allison Janey might have been a smoke monster? That was some pretty gnarly destruction she brought upon those settlers.

I would love to know what would have happened if the smoke monster left, and what he was planning to do when he escaped. Was he just going to live and explore? Kill all humankind? I know there's vague "we all go to hell" type explanations, but it would be cool to have a more specific understanding.

As a bonus, I want to see the moment where smuggy-smug Jacob finds out that the big pillar of smoke is his undead brother.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!

Bobx66 posted:

Here. You might have found it by now, but just future reference for readers.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nalk posted:

Here. You might have found it by now, but just future reference for readers.
Wasn't that from the game? I'm having a hard time remembering what's actually back there in Via Domus.

After Lost ended I thought about buying Via Domus again, just to run around the locations from the show. Then I regained my sanity. What a lovely game.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

redshirt posted:

That's a big story by itself - the stone technology in The Source. It was clearly man-made, had insignias, and served a specific purpose. Someone built it - one assumes before Jacob and Smokey, yes?

If so, then is it safe to assume the wall MiB was breaking down at the end of "Across the Sea" was part of this same construction, or at least made by the same people - that is: MiB did not build that wall, he found it by digging to it.
That's what I assumed too.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Yeah, the game isn't considered canon but supposedly the blueprints the developers got for set pieces are legitimately from the creators of the show. The Incident Room in the show is sealed off like Chernobyl.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The game was such a disappointment. If they made an RPG where you could create your own character and freely roam around the island and choose which factions/characters to be friendly to, and worry about survival etc that would be so amazing.

The game did have a few cool moments, which just made things worse, since they tricked me into completing the game. And the player character was such a terrible, boring character.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Nalk posted:

Yeah, the game isn't considered canon but supposedly the blueprints the developers got for set pieces are legitimately from the creators of the show. The Incident Room in the show is sealed off like Chernobyl.
The developers may have had the set blueprints, but since the area behind the sealed off corridors was never actually physically built on the set there would be nothing on the blueprints.

Besides, some parts of the Swan don't make much sense. See the mystery room connected to the bathroom? While exploring the crawlspace with Sayid, Jack pops out from a grate in that room to find Kate taking a shower in the adjoining bathroom, and then she leaves the bathroom the way Jack came in. But that room doesn't connect anywhere else but to the bathroom. I don't believe that mystery room is in Via Domus and we never see it again in the show.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CheshireCat posted:

Besides, some parts of the Swan don't make much sense. See the mystery room connected to the bathroom? While exploring the crawlspace with Sayid, Jack pops out from a grate in that room to find Kate taking a shower in the adjoining bathroom, and then she leaves the bathroom the way Jack came in. But that room doesn't connect anywhere else but to the bathroom. I don't believe that mystery room is in Via Domus and we never see it again in the show.

Wow, I hope someone got sacked for that blunder.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

marktheando posted:

The game was such a disappointment. If they made an RPG where you could create your own character and freely roam around the island and choose which factions/characters to be friendly to, and worry about survival etc that would be so amazing.

Its weird to create a game about Lost (where a player will defintely want to freeroam and look up awesome Island poo poo you dont see on the show) halfway through its run, when they would keep stuff still hidden, because the show's not done yet.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

marktheando posted:

Wow, I hope someone got sacked for that blunder.
It's an insignificant detail. I think the bathroom portion of the Swan set wasn't actually physically connected to where it should be in the reality of the show because of space limitations on the sound stage.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

CheshireCat posted:

The developers may have had the set blueprints, but since the area behind the sealed off corridors was never actually physically built on the set there would be nothing on the blueprints.

There was a ton of futzing with the Swan's geography in the first few episodes, especially the opening sequence in Man of Science, Man of Faith where they have flipped shots and odd angles to make the space deliberately confusing. And the armory doubles in size as soon as Ben is thrown in there. Like everything else in the show it's played fast and loose according to the story demands, they probably didn't think we'd be able to map it out so well.

That room behind the bathroom isn't in Via Domus, by the way.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!

CheshireCat posted:

Well I realize it wasn't actually built but I'd really like to think that the incident room existed within the mythos of the show. It just makes too much sense.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

Nalk posted:

Well I realize it wasn't actually built but I'd really like to think that the incident room existed within the mythos of the show. It just makes too much sense.
Oh, sure, the incident room is behind the sealed off section of the Swan but anything could be back there. Like a giant metal donkey wheel.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Lostpedia claims they based the Incident Room on plans from the producers, who said they had no desire of showing inside the room during the show. This is all before the producers decided to detonate a nuclear device in its neighborhood

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Pretty sure that picture isn't from the game. I don't remember all that detail, but I could be wrong. There's also a person in the bottom left hand side at a computer. That's some pretty cool concept art though.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!

LaptopGun posted:

Lostpedia claims they based the Incident Room on plans from the producers, who said they had no desire of showing inside the room during the show. This is all before the producers decided to detonate a nuclear device in its neighborhood

Yeah I made a mistake when I explained that it was based on a "set" design. What I meant was that (I think) the concept comes from writers of the show.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Ben's development in season 6 confused me. At first I was really happy with it as Ilana takes him in and he decides to try to help out, but then he betrays Widmore and his nerd girl friend. Was that supposed to be a good thing? Widmore never struck me as an evil character. I took Keamy's massacre of New Otherton to be him being bloodcrazed and wanting to get Ben at all costs, not Widmore being evil.

After Ben betrays Widmore to the MIB things return to normal with him and he has a fairly happy ending.

I had a lot of questions about the Others that were never answered. They demonstrate military level mastery of the land and hand to hand combat, but all of them are people the island plucked out of their lives. Also, how were they funded? Dharma had an eccentric billionaire; but the others not only have access to extremely extensive information networks but also private airports, seaports, etc.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Red Crown posted:

Ben's development in season 6 confused me. At first I was really happy with it as Ilana takes him in and he decides to try to help out, but then he betrays Widmore and his nerd girl friend. Was that supposed to be a good thing? Widmore never struck me as an evil character. I took Keamy's massacre of New Otherton to be him being bloodcrazed and wanting to get Ben at all costs, not Widmore being evil.

After Ben betrays Widmore to the MIB things return to normal with him and he has a fairly happy ending.

Ben blamed Widmore for the death of Alex and despised him for it. He had no loyalty towards Widmore whatsoever and just killed him while he had the chance.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Red Crown posted:

His freighter's mission was #1. Capture Ben, #2. Kill everyone else. So he's pretty evil, and he had a bullet coming to him ever since he sent a group of mercs to shoot Ben's daughter right in front of him.

Remember, the bullet comes once Widmore tries to protect his daughter. That was the last straw for Ben.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

redz posted:

Pretty sure that picture isn't from the game. I don't remember all that detail, but I could be wrong. There's also a person in the bottom left hand side at a computer. That's some pretty cool concept art though.
I meant concept art for the game, actually.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

FrensaGeran posted:

His freighter's mission was #1. Capture Ben, #2. Kill everyone else. So he's pretty evil, and he had a bullet coming to him ever since he sent a group of mercs to shoot Ben's daughter right in front of him.

Remember, the bullet comes once Widmore tries to protect his daughter. That was the last straw for Ben.

What was Widmore's motivation for killing everyone? I was under the impression what he wanted was to return to the island and take back what Ben had taken from him, not that he was some revenge crazed monster. He also seemed to know that he would have to deal with the MIB, bringing the pylons and Desmond expressly for that purpose.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Red Crown posted:

I had a lot of questions about the Others that were never answered. They demonstrate military level mastery of the land and hand to hand combat, but all of them are people the island plucked out of their lives.

Juliet's the only Other who we know came from a normal background, and even though she's handy in a fight she's not exactly superwoman. Mikhail is the only Other whose background we know and he was actually in the army. Guys like Pickett and Pryce were probably recruited as mercenary types (and they weren't brilliant at it).

Their mastery of the land wasn't that special either, our characters were pulling off similar poo poo after far less time there.

quote:

Also, how were they funded? Dharma had an eccentric billionaire; but the others not only have access to extremely extensive information networks but also private airports, seaports, etc.

Ben is crazy prepared. Just like Miles said, if Ben needs to get something, he'll find a way to get it. They had enough contacts and resources off-Island to be comfortable, but I didn't get the impression that they were SPECTRE-level or anything. They didn't own an airport or seaport.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Red Crown posted:

What was Widmore's motivation for killing everyone? I was under the impression what he wanted was to return to the island and take back what Ben had taken from him, not that he was some revenge crazed monster. He also seemed to know that he would have to deal with the MIB, bringing the pylons and Desmond expressly for that purpose.

Widmore wanted to exploit the Island for his own gain, perhaps start the Widmore Initiative.

I think Ben knew he was beaten (especially when Locke said he was literally going to destroy the Island) and couldn't con Locke and he'd probably either end up remaining on the Island or dead so why not just see how things fall out for a change? But at the same time, Ben always has a plan.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

When they recruit Juliet they take her to Mittlos Technologies' facility in Washington state, which is a closed off facility with an airport. They then knock her out and fly her to wherever they have the sub, which would have to be somewhere with the capability to maintain it and keep it a secret.

The others, I mean that in the first and second seasons a big deal was made that they could practically disappear into the jungle whenever they wanted, they left no trails unless they wanted to.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Either Keamy came up with the idea of island genocide on his own, or he was following Widmore's orders. I gotta assume the latter since Keamy is using Widmore's orders explicitly up to the very end, with the Orchid back-up plan folder.

But why? Because he's a bitter man who's son was doomed to death from the moment he was born and some punk kid took his magic island just because he was getting a little off-island action on the side. He knows full well who and what Ben Linus is and knows that he's a scheming little rat who has plans, plans for plans, and escape plans in spades. Why take the risk that anyone will be on his side? Why not just kill everyone?

(Obviously I doubt this included The Others, since I don't think Widmore expected some rag tag merc group to out-Other the Others)

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Red Crown posted:

When they recruit Juliet they take her to Mittlos Technologies' facility in Washington state, which is a closed off facility with an airport. They then knock her out and fly her to wherever they have the sub, which would have to be somewhere with the capability to maintain it and keep it a secret.

We see the whole experience from Juliet's POV so we don't know that she had to be flown anywhere after being knocked out. The airport wasn't explicitly owned by Mittelos, either, from what I remember and could just have been an abandoned building with some Herarat Aviation signage slapped on it. The Galaga was a tiny submarine that didn't need to be docked at an extensive facility, hell it was able to make do with a rickety wooden dock in a lake.

EDIT: We also don't actually see any Mittelos facility in the series, Juliet was shown the slides in some Miami boardroom and Locke was given a pamphlet. That's about all we saw of their operation.

quote:

The others, I mean that in the first and second seasons a big deal was made that they could practically disappear into the jungle whenever they wanted, they left no trails unless they wanted to.

The 'no trails' thing was cheekily addressed on the S2 DVD, if you wait on one of the menus an Other brushes away the footprints. Which were after all just footprints, the Others don't wear shoes.

birdlaw fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 9, 2010

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The others seemed much more powerful early on because they were unknown and associated (wrongly, but the castaways didn't know that) with the whispers. So they seemed pretty scary. Also our castaways killed a lot of them so most of their good fighters and trackers like Ethan and the like were killed, so by the end they were pretty depleted.

They must have had someone training their new recruits, since pre-island Juliet doesn't seem the type to know how to fight. Dogen seems like a likely suspect since he seemed to be the most impressive fighter among the others. I wonder if Juliet would have made more progress with the fertility problem if she wasn't wasting her time with Latin lessons and martial arts lessons....

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I believe someone linked to an article not to long ago that touched on the relationship between the Others and the Whispers. Lostpedia talked with a season 1 writer who said at that time the Whispers *were* actually the Others observing what was going on . As the guy said, that obviously changed. Spoilered for those who don't really care

Nalk posted:

Yeah I made a mistake when I explained that it was based on a "set" design. What I meant was that (I think) the concept comes from writers of the show.

I don't actually know if you made a mistake though. The room was given to the game designers because they didn't want to show it on camera. What form the disclosure took is unknown. Maybe the producers had set designs and decided to not gothat farm. Maybe they had CGI plans. Maybe Cuse gave them scribblings on a bar napkin. Who knows what the video game designers got. (I doubt they got a run down about the MIB, the Source, Adam and Eve, etc ;) )

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Red Crown posted:

I reckon Ben figured Widmore and Zoe were already dead as soon as Smokey sat down next to him on the porch - Ben's look there is perfect, like a man who encounters a bear and will not make eye contact or threatening gestures. There's no way Widmore stays hidden, so why not lead Smokey right to him and get some information if possible. The murder was extra.

quote:

I had a lot of questions about the Others that were never answered. They demonstrate military level mastery of the land and hand to hand combat, but all of them are people the island plucked out of their lives. Also, how were they funded? Dharma had an eccentric billionaire; but the others not only have access to extremely extensive information networks but also private airports, seaports, etc.
I've been wondering this for years. Alpert was leaving the island in the 50's, and seemed to operate comfortably in the real world. Who was organizing that trip? The easy answer is Jacob - one wonders how Jacob left the island. Magic, I assume.

The Others seemed to inherit much of the resources of the Dharma Initiative, and Jacob clearly had resources off island. It's easy enough to assume a guy who lives for 2000 years could build some connections and gain some material wealth over those millennia. But still, he has to leave the Island. Across the Sea made it seem as if that were impossible for Jacob and MiB, but perhaps that was just Mother telling lies.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

redshirt posted:

Across the Sea made it seem as if that were impossible for Jacob and MiB, but perhaps that was just Mother telling lies.

She probably wasn't lying, but since Jacob took over the island he got to make his own rules and allowed himself vacation time or something.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

redshirt posted:

The Others seemed to inherit much of the resources of the Dharma Initiative, and Jacob clearly had resources off island. It's easy enough to assume a guy who lives for 2000 years could build some connections and gain some material wealth over those millennia. But still, he has to leave the Island. Across the Sea made it seem as if that were impossible for Jacob and MiB, but perhaps that was just Mother telling lies.
Mother never says that SHE can't leave the island. She probably just doesn't like to. But that backgammon board came from somewhere, and that somewhere wasn't the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FrensaGeran posted:

Mother never says that SHE can't leave the island. She probably just doesn't like to. But that backgammon board came from somewhere, and that somewhere wasn't the island.

Yeah, sure, stuff can come to the island - the shipwreck at the beginning of the episode shows that. But Mother seems quite sure MiB cannot leave the island, though perhaps the machine of light and water would let him, hence the head smashing.

• Locked thread