Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Cheesus posted:

Any theories as to how the Ajira flight's return would be explained?

Perhaps Richard could use his connections to cover it all up?

They could probably land in Fiji, have everyone but Lapidus get off and then have Lapidus claim that he crash landed the plane and most everyone died of natural causes (starvation and horrifying illness) before he could get it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Red Crown posted:

They could probably land in Fiji, have everyone but Lapidus get off and then have Lapidus claim that he crash landed the plane and most everyone died of natural causes (starvation and horrifying illness) before he could get it working.

They were there just over a week

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Lapidus stashes the plane somewhere and goes into seclusion because there is literally no way to explain what happened what wouldn't end up with him in prison or in a mental institute.

He lives out the rest of his life on the beaches of Guam.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Lapidus brushes aside all pressing questions with one-liners and snappy comebacks while the passengers sneak off the plane in the background.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cheesus posted:

Any theories as to how the Ajira flight's return would be explained?

Perhaps Richard could use his connections to cover it all up?
Wait, what? It had to make an emergency landing, some people died, they managed go get it working again and flew home. What more do you need?

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Who was on the flight back? At the very least Claire would have to be explained, wouldn't she?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The people who returned, except for Kate and Lapidus, were not people on the original plane. In fact, many of them had been missing for years.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The people who returned, except for Kate and Lapidus, were not people on the original plane. In fact, many of them had been missing for years.
Anyone on 815 that wasn't one of the Oceanic Six was declared dead years ago. That's both Sawyer and Claire alive who shouldn't be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is probably why they didn't film those scenes.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Yeah, this is just curious discussion and relative to actual episodic content it's unimportant.

I think this is what caused spin-offs before we learned to control ourselves.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Well, they were on their way back home when ANOTHER island pulled them in, giving them 6 seasons of torment.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

geeves posted:

They were there just over a week

gently caress, really? So from early season 5 to the finale, it was only over a span of 7-10 days?

That's bizarre and it felt like a month at least.

euphronius posted:

This is probably why they didn't film those scenes.

Honestly if I had been through that I wouldn't give a gently caress about what anyone thought. "Yea it was a lot of crazy poo poo that I can't explain. Please leave me alone" would be my response to everything.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Kate would have to go back to jail because part of her settlement in season 4 was never to leave the state. No wonder she missed Jack so much, she was in a rug munching federal prison.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Johnny B. Goode posted:

gently caress, really? So from early season 5 to the finale, it was only over a span of 7-10 days?

That's bizarre and it felt like a month at least.

Honestly if I had been through that I wouldn't give a gently caress about what anyone thought. "Yea it was a lot of crazy poo poo that I can't explain. Please leave me alone" would be my response to everything.

Yeah, Miles pretty much confirmed it in one of the last episodes. "I spent 3 years there 30 years ago, otherwise known as last week".

Each season became progressively shorter in amount of time that passes. It didn't help that it constantly shifted from day to night in a matter of a scene change.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Wyld Cannon posted:

Kate would have to go back to jail because part of her settlement in season 4 was never to leave the state. No wonder she missed Jack so much, she was in a rug munching federal prison.

The neat thing about the flash sideways is that they can be used to deduce what went on in these characters's life--like Hurley we can tell that he had a long and awesome reign on the Island (if lonely) because of his afterlife being all "everyone loves Hugo, he provides for everyone!".

So did Kate kept being on the run? Hung out with Claire to raise Aaron? Or maybe even was in federal prison and dreamt of being on the run again for a loooong time?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can imagine Hugo bringing a bunch of mental patients to the island to be healed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Yannick_B posted:

The neat thing about the flash sideways is that they can be used to deduce what went on in these characters's life--like Hurley we can tell that he had a long and awesome reign on the Island (if lonely) because of his afterlife being all "everyone loves Hugo, he provides for everyone!".

So did Kate kept being on the run? Hung out with Claire to raise Aaron? Or maybe even was in federal prison and dreamt of being on the run again for a loooong time?
Heh, did Sawyer and Miles hang around together for the rest of their lives?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Lycus posted:

Heh, did Sawyer and Miles hang around together for the rest of their lives?

Yes. They became bounty hunters! (Their true desire was to become cops though, finally granted).

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Yannick_B posted:

Yes. They became bounty hunters! (Their true desire was to become cops though, finally granted).

And when Desmond was returned home he became their financier by taking over Widmore's corporation and Frank became their personal pilot.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

So what was the reason for Hurley being able to commune with the trapped spirits?

Furthermore, who would he get to talk to during what I deem would be the best years of the island ever?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jacob made him special, just like he made Richard immortal.

And when it comes to people talking to him from beyond the grave, the who and when seems to be THEIR jurisdiction. Whether he has any say over it once he becomes Jacob is anyone's guess.

And it isn't just trapped spirits who can appear, eg. Isabella.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FrensaGeran posted:

Jacob made him special, just like he made Richard immortal.
I don't think so, I think he was just born that way. Likewise, I don't think Mother really intended for MiB to commune with spirits either.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah that makes more sense, since Jacob had a non-interference policy. Which would especially be true with his candidates.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

superjew posted:

Furthermore, who would he get to talk to during what I deem would be the best years of the island ever?
It's really the biggest wasted premise ever. I would pay good money to watch a show about Hurley and Ben running the island. I'm going to have to settle for a thirteen-minute short.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

LividLiquid posted:

It's really the biggest wasted premise ever. I would pay good money to watch a show about Hurley and Ben running the island. I'm going to have to settle for a thirteen-minute short.

or a saturday morning cartoon spin off

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

I can get behind this in a huge way.

ITILPrince
Nov 3, 2007
Hell's Project Manager

AxeManiac posted:

No thanks, by the time contract negotiations were done, what we'd end up with is Lost Babies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I bet Jorge and Emmerson would do the voices just for laughs.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

LividLiquid posted:

It's going to be 13 minutes of Hurley and Ben playing island golf.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Time between and ?
For us: Just over 3 years.
In the show: Just under 3 weeks.

bowser fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 12, 2010

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
According to Lostpedia it was exactly three weeks.

ITILPrince
Nov 3, 2007
Hell's Project Manager
Just when I was about to let go, now I have go back.

Use Less
Jun 14, 2007
Non-Consumerist
One cool thing I've been thinking about is Desmond flashing over to the Sideways Purgatory. When he meets Penny, he "wakes up" and then he wakes up back on the Island. Presumably, during "waking up" he would have seen the rest of his days up to his death, since he's in Purgatory.

Is his smug confidence there because he now "knows" how he's going to die and it's not by the Smoke Monster's hand or Sayid's gun at the well?

More realistically, I would love to see what the writers' motivations and plans were during the whole series run. Something tells me that at points, they would probably peek into message boards to see what the fans thought and either went: "Hey, that's a great explanation, let's run with that." or "Oh poo poo, they've got the wrong idea, let's fix it quick!"

It makes me wonder if in that ATAS panel (specific moment at 4:30) when Damon blurts: "...the fact that the Island is a giant spaceship!" If that changed the end game for the show. The more I watch that, the more I think it's Carlton going: "What?!?" when Damon blurts that out.

That theory would have made for an awesome ending, but I guess we'll never know. And would've provided some really cool explanation for a lot of things on the show. Like in early Season 1 when we see the comic book that Walt was reading, there's a page that shows a spaceship with what looks like a rock formation in the middle - not that it matters now, but it would've been cool if that tied in with the end game in some sense.

Also I wonder what kind of input did ABC higher-ups had on the course of the show.

I would love to see a panel discussion with the writers on all the loose ends. Here's to hoping they answer some of them in the DVD set, but I'm not holding my breath.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Use Less posted:

It makes me wonder if in that ATAS panel (specific moment at 4:30) when Damon blurts: "...the fact that the Island is a giant spaceship!" If that changed the end game for the show. The more I watch that, the more I think it's Carlton going: "What?!?" when Damon blurts that out.
Definitely not. That's just their sense of humor.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Use Less posted:

One cool thing I've been thinking about is Desmond flashing over to the Sideways Purgatory. When he meets Penny, he "wakes up" and then he wakes up back on the Island. Presumably, during "waking up" he would have seen the rest of his days up to his death, since he's in Purgatory.

Is his smug confidence there because he now "knows" how he's going to die and it's not by the Smoke Monster's hand or Sayid's gun at the well?

I don't think Desmond had the slightest idea that the sideways were purgatory. When put into Widmore's electromagnetic sauna, Island Des saw exactly the same chain of events that we do during Happily Ever After and reached the same conclusions. He thought he had experienced an alternate universe when in fact he essentially saw his (after)life flash before his eyes. His demeanor towards the end of the series is because of his belief that his actions at the 'very bright light' will undo everything bad that happened during the series. He was wrong.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Use Less posted:

Also I wonder what kind of input did ABC higher-ups had on the course of the show.

One thing I do know is that Libby died because the producers thought Ana Lucia, a character generally perceived as unsympathetic, dying by itself wouldn't evoke enough of an emotional response.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Welp just ordered the complete Bluray. Ow my wallet :(

BIOJECT
May 12, 2006

Akuma posted:

Wait, what? It had to make an emergency landing, some people died, they managed go get it working again and flew home. What more do you need?

The plane was mostly intact. Explaining how 50 people randamly died would be very difficult.

BIOJECT
May 12, 2006

Android Blues posted:

One thing I do know is that Libby died because the producers thought Ana Lucia, a character generally perceived as unsympathetic, dying by itself wouldn't evoke enough of an emotional response.

They should have just killed kate. i liked Ana Lucia even if she was a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Yeah Ana Lucia was starting to become a 3 dimensional character when they killed her. :sigh:

• Locked thread