Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's this tennis ball foot thing you guys are talking about? I tried searching back a few pages but maybe you talked about it way back when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Martytoof posted:

What's this tennis ball foot thing you guys are talking about? I tried searching back a few pages but maybe you talked about it way back when?
Basically put a tennis ball/lax ball under your bare foot and run it along the bottom of each foot for a minute. When you're done you'll magically be more flexible.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gigabitnokie posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/revolutioncondition#p/search/0/95YwwHBAF_o

Basically just use a lacrosse ball or something to give the bottom of each foot a quick massage and get way more flexible :psyboom:

Edit: I just tested this and if you don't you're out of your mind.

This is going to seriously transform my game. I'm 6'4 and "not flexible" is an understatement. I've been aimlessly working on stretching everything out and making slow progress but this... this is golden. This thread delivers once again! :q:

In the YouTube link above, she does a stretch where you place a tennis ball on the floor and you roll it back, forth, and all over the bottom of your foot for a minute. Then you repeat the exercise with your other foot and it will loosen up your hamstrings. If you do it right, you should be able to touch your toes much more easily than normal.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
First game last night... 26 shots, 22 saves. Pretty happy with that!

Unfortunately we played the 60 minutes non-stop so we could finish by midnight so I was fuckin exhausted at the end of it. Also, note to self: do not ever ever wear jeans again under my goal pants. Hoo boy that was a dumb idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy gently caress. Just tried. Literally magic.

Literally magic.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Holy gently caress. Just tried. Literally magic.

Literally magic.

I KNOW!

Don't forget your palms, too.

Edit: And every single other video that lady does. She's amazing. MAGICAL even.

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 16, 2010

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Polish posted:

When doing butterfly slides, what part of the skate do you push out on? It seems whenever I try to use the middle of the skate, my foot slips out or I get some weak half-push.
I'm going to disagree with what someone just said about it not really mattering how you push. I spent a ton of time doing drills by myself where I'd snap down to a butterfly while imagining a stick save (pausing for a second), then really focus on getting a good rotation as I brought my load leg up as straight as I could with my skate blade flat on the ice. Snap, track, rotate, load with blade flat. You can either go from there into a butterfly push or just a normal recovery to your feet. It helped me immeasurably. I went from barely being able to do butterfly pushes (with one side much more comfortable than the other and often hurting my groin by not getting a good rotation) to being very comfortable doing them either direction within maybe two weeks. I still do that drill as part of my off-ice warmup every time I play.

I've been working on getting used to sharper and sharper skates, currently at 1/2". I think 7/16" is where I'm going to end up staying. I'm small enough that shuffling isn't an issue with sharp skates, but I'm still working on edge confidence on my T-pushes.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I get plenty of time to just dick around on the ice and I am usually attempting to make fake butterfly saves all over my crease. But every time I put my entire blade on the ice and push, my foot just slips out and I move like 6". Same thing when I am doing C-cuts or a nice power stride. So I can never get any power behind anything cause my foot will just kick out, so I end up doing quick little bastardized C-cuts with the fronts of my blades.

With the butterfly slides, I guess I just have to get my pushing leg up (so I am in the half butterfly) and then give a nice strong push like that.. but that is very time consuming.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
To those with issues with butterfly slides how loose do you have your bottom heel strap? You really should be able to push around with the blade flat on the ice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

I get plenty of time to just dick around on the ice and I am usually attempting to make fake butterfly saves all over my crease. But every time I put my entire blade on the ice and push, my foot just slips out and I move like 6". Same thing when I am doing C-cuts or a nice power stride. So I can never get any power behind anything cause my foot will just kick out, so I end up doing quick little bastardized C-cuts with the fronts of my blades.

With the butterfly slides, I guess I just have to get my pushing leg up (so I am in the half butterfly) and then give a nice strong push like that.. but that is very time consuming.

Wait, maybe I'm fundamentally misunderstanding what you guys mean by "butterfly slide", but isn't the one leg recovery slide exactly what a butterfly slide is? I might just have my terminology mixed up.

When I'm down on the ice I only have two means of transportation:

- Lift the trailing leg and push off in the opposite direction of travel to recover towards the direction of play/puck.

- Shuffle down on the ice, which has literally zero power and is for microadjustments for when there's a pileup right in front of me and I don't want to risk getting up and exposing the fivehole.

So also if your blade is slipping out on the ice, there's really only three things I can think of: Your blade is way too dull, you're not pushing off with your blade perpendicular to your direction of travel, or you're trying to push off while part of your blade isn't making contact with the ice (so you're pushing off with just your heel or just your toe). Some of those would explain why you're also having trouble with c-cuts but honestly I really wish we could see you in action so we could get a better idea of what the problem might be.

I need to go back and watch the Wogtech video series in my OP again because I'm starting to get a little lazy on some of this stuff myself :v:

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Welp, I lost 5-1. My leg pads were too tight or something because they kept forcing my skates inward. So I played the game on the outside of my feet the entire time and when it came to drop to buttterfly, I was basically locked in. Plus I sucked. How tight does everyone keep their leg pads?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BulimicGoat posted:

Welp, I lost 5-1. My leg pads were too tight or something because they kept forcing my skates inward. So I played the game on the outside of my feet the entire time and when it came to drop to buttterfly, I was basically locked in. Plus I sucked. How tight does everyone keep their leg pads?

Sorry to hear about your loss, but I'm glad you went out and did it :)

I keep everything pretty much two or three finger widths loose (I can comfortably stick two fingers between my pads and the straps), except for the very bottom strap which I have tight enough to just put one finger through snugly. It sounds like your toe ties don't have enough/any slack either, as well as your boot strap being entirely too tight.

I fit my boot strap in such a way that I put it through the back hole on my runner, tighten it very gently and as soon as I feel any pressure of it touching my skate I back off one hole. So in the end the boot strap just sags. It's really only there to keep the pad from riding up your legs and shouldn't actually be tight to anything (in my opinion). Your toe ties are also a personal preference, but when I first did up my toe ties, I got in my pads, did a butterfly with my toes at a 45 degree angle to the floor. Then I measured how much slack I needed in my toe ties to get that 45 degree angle and tied a knot at that spot. So now when I butterfly I have enough slack to keep my toes pointed near the ground without any excess rotational pressure on my knees.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug

BulimicGoat posted:

I have the exact opposite problem. I am still struggling to keep my pads aligned directly over my skates. As soon as I drop into my first butterfly, my pads rotate about 10-15 degrees towards the outside of that leg and I’m stuffed if I can ever get them back in line without taking them off. It doesn’t really seem to hinder me too much but I notice all the other goalies’ pads stay nice and straight over their skates. I have my top straps done up to the tightest loophole (still LOADS of room), leg and lower ties tight enough so that they are snug without being really tight. Toe ties I loop through my cowling reasonably tightly and then tie off over the top of my boot laces.

I’ve tried tying it up a number of different ways but still have the same problem? Help? :( Nobody at the rink seemed to know how to fix it. Getting a bit used to it now but still doesn’t seem right.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aejix posted:

I have the exact opposite problem. I am still struggling to keep my pads aligned directly over my skates. As soon as I drop into my first butterfly, my pads rotate about 10-15 degrees towards the outside of that leg and I’m stuffed if I can ever get them back in line without taking them off. It doesn’t really seem to hinder me too much but I notice all the other goalies’ pads stay nice and straight over their skates. I have my top straps done up to the tightest loophole (still LOADS of room), leg and lower ties tight enough so that they are snug without being really tight. Toe ties I loop through my cowling reasonably tightly and then tie off over the top of my boot laces.

I’ve tried tying it up a number of different ways but still have the same problem? Help? :( Nobody at the rink seemed to know how to fix it. Getting a bit used to it now but still doesn’t seem right.

When you say you can't fix them without taking them off, do you mean that you can't rotate your pads back into place with your hands? Honestly it sounds like your straps are still way too tight regardless of how they feel when you put them on. I used to be really paranoid about my straps being too loose, but in reality the only thing I think you need is for the topmost straps to be just buckled tight enough to keep your knee from slipping off of the landing gear stack, and the bottom most straps (not boot straps) to be tight enough to keep your ankles and calves in the leg channel. Everything else should be relatively loose if not a little saggy.

Also what kind of pads do you guys have? Do you have an open leg channel or a closed leg channel? I think open leg channels naturally rotate a lot more and fall back into position really easily because they're basically not cradling your leg.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Martytoof posted:

Words

I think it may be because my blade isnt making full contact. Maybe I am not lifting my pushing leg high enough. I am trying to just do a quick butterfly slide without lifting my leg totally up. I agree.. I would love to see myself on video. I haven't really been focusing on my technique enough and I can tell its really falling apart. Maybe I should invest in some personal lessons when they come around again..

Its strange, because if I am not focusing on it I can butterfly slide all day long, but as soon as I think about what I'm doing, and try to do it correctly, I gently caress up. Although when not focusing, I guess I am doing it "wrong", but if it works, is it really wrong?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If it works it probably means you're doing it right instinctively. Sometimes you can overthink things too :3:

As for the rest, when I try to work on my technique the best thing I can do is really take things slowly. Like ridiculously not-game-speed slow so you can focus on what your legs and arms and body is doing. It might look dumb to people watching but who cares :)

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
For those of you having issues regarding your pads falling back into place when you get up after being in a butterfly there are 2 factors you must consider to solve your predicament:

1) Are your straps too tight or too loose, the idea is to achieve full rotation without your pads ripping your legs apart at the knee and ankle. As Marty mentioned, you should be able to slip at least 2 fingers easily between your strap and your leg in most places. At home put on your lower half gear and drop to a butterfly, pay attention to how the straps feel while you are down. Chances are what you think is loose is not loose at all, or on the other side of things they may be so slack that there is no tension to help them slide back once you get up.

2) Usually overlooked but I would argue is the most important factor in regards to rotational issues: The boot channel. A deep leg channel helps with some rotation but depending on preference a deep boot channel I find makes recovery from a butterfly much easier. I find most goalies including myself when I first started wearing my R4s had huge issues with rotation due to there not being a deep boot channel. Most lower end pads do not have a decent boot channel and it takes a while to either make your own by breaking in the pad or learning to adjust your toe ties accordingly. When I play in my R4s I pay far more attention to my pads as they are less likely to reset compared to my icecaps. The Lord loves a deep boot channel, particularly since it takes a lot of stress away from making sure your toe ties are the perfect distance every game you play.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Another equipment question, this time for helmets.

Is the base-line Hackva better than say a Vaughn 8800?

edit: Oh and I got my catcher/blocker in and I noticed there's a weird strap that comes around the top of my 9990 catcher [on the backside of it underneath the Sher-wood text] that if I pull doesn't seem to do anything except come out farther. Even with my hand in I can't feel anything getting tighter, do any of you guys know what it might be for?

real_scud fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 17, 2010

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Is there a point where your steel can get so low that it won't even hold an edge anymore? I'm in year six of mine and in the last year or so, I've been going flat after two or three games, but the other night, I lost both edges completely by the end of the first period, three hours after having them sharpened.
I lost two breakaways due to having no push whatsoever :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

Another equipment question, this time for helmets.

Is the base-line Hackva better than say a Vaughn 8800?

edit: Oh and I got my catcher/blocker in and I noticed there's a weird strap that comes around the top of my 9990 catcher [on the backside of it underneath the Sher-wood text] that if I pull doesn't seem to do anything except come out farther. Even with my hand in I can't feel anything getting tighter, do any of you guys know what it might be for?

I don't know a whole lot about the 8800 mask, but this is what I can tell you. It is made by Eddy, who are a good manufacturer, it does not have any layers of kevlar, and it is made out of fiber glass and carbon fiber. I'm not sure how the protection differs from a carbon fiber mask as compared a mask with layers of carbon fiber and kevlar like Hackva. Sportmask, who is another good mask maker, seems to only use fiber glass and carbon fiber in their pro-level masks, so the lack of kevlar may not be a concern in this case.

That being said, it probably isn't worth the extra $150 for a Vaughn 8800 mask over a Hackva, but both masks should be more than safe. Also, with the Hackva masks, all of their models provide the same level of protection, the difference in price between masks will be due to the finish/paint.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

nahanahs posted:

Is there a point where your steel can get so low that it won't even hold an edge anymore? I'm in year six of mine and in the last year or so, I've been going flat after two or three games, but the other night, I lost both edges completely by the end of the first period, three hours after having them sharpened.
I lost two breakaways due to having no push whatsoever :(

Yeah, that can happen. Depending on the model of skate that you have, you can either get replacement blades or you may need to replace the entire cowling.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's possible, but it's more likely that your shop just won't be able to sharpen them before it gets to that point because the toe and heel curve on the blade will get too close to the cowling. Of course you could just ask them to not bother with the toe and heel.

Guess who is about to have this problem :q:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

That being said, it probably isn't worth the extra $150 for a Vaughn 8800 mask over a Hackva, but both masks should be more than safe. Also, with the Hackva masks, all of their models provide the same level of protection, the difference in price between masks will be due to the finish/paint.
Awesome I was hoping for that but the local shop was trying to sell me on a Vaughn, so guess I'll order a Hackva when I get paid tomorrow.

He did mention that the owners of Hackva have gone to him to try to get their masks because they want to have a rep in FL. Then they tell him to order one he'd have to get a large batch order of 6 or more when in his 10 years of having his shop he's probably sold only around 6 masks total. Kind of lovely that while they may be a small shop they're not willing to bend to help out another small shop and get some stuff in stock here in FL.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Aniki posted:

Yeah, that can happen. Depending on the model of skate that you have, you can either get replacement blades or you may need to replace the entire cowling.

The boot's pretty well broken down. It's time for new skates, so, that leads into..

I got this pair of Bauer 1000s six years ago. What's changed in goal skates?
I'm intrigued by the new Bauer One skates, but the store near me doesn't have any 80s in my size, so I made the mistake of trying on some One100s. If I'm playing one to four times a week, would it be overboard to go with the One100s?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

When you say you can't fix them without taking them off, do you mean that you can't rotate your pads back into place with your hands? Honestly it sounds like your straps are still way too tight regardless of how they feel when you put them on. I used to be really paranoid about my straps being too loose, but in reality the only thing I think you need is for the topmost straps to be just buckled tight enough to keep your knee from slipping off of the landing gear stack, and the bottom most straps (not boot straps) to be tight enough to keep your ankles and calves in the leg channel. Everything else should be relatively loose if not a little saggy.

Also what kind of pads do you guys have? Do you have an open leg channel or a closed leg channel? I think open leg channels naturally rotate a lot more and fall back into position really easily because they're basically not cradling your leg.

I pretty much have to undo the straps, reset the pad and do them back up to get them straight again, so I don’t bother because they immediately rotate back around again :) The tops of my pads still feel like they positioned fine but the bit over the toe is clearly off. I’ll have a go of tying them up more loosely – they shouldn’t be flopping around on my legs though, right? I guess it’s a bit hard to explain in writing. I’ll just keep trying them and when I get it right I’ll just mark off the holes with a Sharpie or something. Like you are/were, I am paranoid of having them too loose (not sure why now that I think about it).

I’ve got the RBK X-Pulse 7.0 combo with glove + blocker. Love them, though I spose I haven’t played in any other pads for comparison haha! They have seriously comfortable knee landers though – I was hesitant about driving my knees into the ice as I have poo poo knees am a huge girl but after coming down hard on them for the first time during my first game and feeling like I was driving my knees into a futon, absolutely no hesitation after that to drive down as hard as needed.

I don’t get what you mean by open or closed leg channel :( I’m at work at the moment and can’t dig up a photo of the leg channel for the X-Pulses but can throw one up later if that will help. I think they are probably more towards closed leg channel than open, as it feels like I am ‘slotting’ my leg in fairly deep before I do up the straps.

Thanks for the help guys!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Actually, yeah, my pads are super floppy on my legs. I'll take some photos brb.

edit: Pardon the messy floor, working on my computer.

Looks tight to my leg, right?

Well actually it's not really tight at all:

Ton of room. Remember that this is actually kind of not true because I also wear kneepads and socks:

But even so, I can fit a fist between my leg and the landing gear before I even feel any tension against the strap:

And I can fit a fist between my leg and the leg channel before I feel any tension against the strap:

As you can see from the second photo, the only real strap that I have tight is the bottom one across my ankle.

If you're tying them much tighter than this I think you might be over tightening. At least I certainly can't see myself ever going any tighter than this.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 18, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As far as closed vs open leg channel, take a look at the Vaughn Velo leg channel:

versus a typical Reebok open leg channel:

The velo has a very narrow channel and leg guides to keep your leg in the middle of the pad. The supports "hug" your leg so to speak I guess.

The Rbk has no supports, so your leg can basically move around the entire back side of the pad. There is nothing touching your leg other than the very outside calf flaps.

It's my personal theory that the little leg supports hindered my rotation, or if not my rotation then at least the recovery from butterfly. Of course it's probably all in my head because there are loads of pro goalies who wear them with no ill effects.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I've never had any issues with my Itech 9.8s rotating, and they have a very deep leg channel:

not my picture.. I can't rock the candy cane pads

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Martytoof posted:

It's my personal theory that the little leg supports hindered my rotation, or if not my rotation then at least the recovery from butterfly. Of course it's probably all in my head because there are loads of pro goalies who wear them with no ill effects.

That's funny. I thought the lack of leg channel in my RBKs prevented the pad getting back into position.

In response to my skate questions earlier, I went by Perani's, got into a pair of One80s and, well..

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Also, this is what I've been doing to my blades lately, but only the inside edges. I can't be kicking the posts to cause that or the outside edge would be messed up too. Anyone have any ideas how I'm accomplishing this?

Click here for the full 1500x470 image.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

ManicJason posted:

I've never had any issues with my Itech 9.8s rotating, and they have a very deep leg channel:

not my picture.. I can't rock the candy cane pads

Same for my 11.8s, and I even use the calf lock plus the calf wrap. I have a two-inch spaced knot at my toe bridge for more flexibility, and my straps go snug to super loose going from the bottom to the top.

aejix, what are you wearing on your legs? My brother and I wear track tights, and it really seems to help both of us with rotation since the Lycra significantly reduces the friction.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Thanks SO much Marty et al. That has helped me out heaps. Can’t wait for my next game! I think I might have definitely been over-tightening as I thought I needed to have them tight enough that it felt like my leg and the pad moved as one. Makes for some snappy kick saves because it just feels like an extension of your leg but it shits me that they keep going crooked.

Hazed_Red: I (loving stupidly) wore jeans under my goal pants on Wednesday night. Never, ever doing that again. I will sooner go commando than wear jeans under that stuff again. Especially as we played all 60 minutes with no breaks and I had no water bottle! When I can afford to, I will be buying a nice pair of skins. I also wore a t-shirt under my C/A but I might try just a singlet, or nothing at all if that is still too hot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you strap your pads loose I guarantee it will feel very unnatural until you get used to it, so be prepared for that. Like I want to say that it'll feel unnatural enough to make you want to switch back. Hopefully that was the entirety of your rotation problem though. If you still have trouble make sure your boot strap isn't too tight, and that you have the right amount of toe tie slack. Too much slack will prevent your pads from returning when your feet line up, too little will make your knees hurt if you butterfly because you're straining your joints :)

Definitely don't wear jeans. Hazed_Red has the best idea. Lycra is an awesome undergarment to wear. Really though, I'm a cheap gently caress so I just wear the hockey socks I've worn for the past five or six years. I've seen people go out in track pants or even just in shorts, leaving their legs bare, though I wouldn't recommend that.

If you're wearing a cotton tshirt under your C/A then you're almost certainly better taking it off. Get some kind of underarmour or just about every store sells some kind of sports top that is waaaay better than a cotton shirt. Champion makes some nice stuff I think.

I forgot, are you playing ice or roller?

Anyway, good luck!

nahanahs posted:

That's funny. I thought the lack of leg channel in my RBKs prevented the pad getting back into position.

My philosophy on this is that the less material there is for my leg to rub against, the less friction the pads will encounter if they try to right themselves. I'm definitely not claiming I'm right, just that that's how I think about it :)

As for your blades, you're not walking on concrete are you? I've never seen my blades like that, even after weeks of play. I mean that COULD be from shuffling but then you've either got hard as gently caress ice or your blades are made of lead :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 18, 2010

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
I’m playing ice. No fruit boots for me! Thanks for the extra tips too. I think I will duck out to the development class again on the weekend and just keep trying different strapping on the pads until it works. I was told that I’m doing up my straps just fine but what would players know? :)

I’ve got some lycra compression shorts that I wear (mainly because they have a pouch for my cup) but once I buy a proper goalie jock I’ll just wear that and the skins underneath. I’ve been meaning to visit a new store that has opened in Sydney seeing as most of the other stores have closed or moved a few hours north, I’ll look there for some sport top type things as well.

Cheers!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Whelp got my 9990's in finally and they look great, except that they're an 1" too big, but I don't have anything else so they'll have to do. Hopefully they'll settle and won't be that bad.

Also went to a local shop and found a great resource for both goalie tips and some decent equipment. Picked up a 6k stick and a pair of CCM v6 skates for tonight. Can't wait to see what'll happen.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

aejix posted:

Thanks SO much Marty et al. That has helped me out heaps. Can’t wait for my next game! I think I might have definitely been over-tightening as I thought I needed to have them tight enough that it felt like my leg and the pad moved as one. Makes for some snappy kick saves because it just feels like an extension of your leg but it shits me that they keep going crooked.

Hazed_Red: I (loving stupidly) wore jeans under my goal pants on Wednesday night. Never, ever doing that again. I will sooner go commando than wear jeans under that stuff again. Especially as we played all 60 minutes with no breaks and I had no water bottle! When I can afford to, I will be buying a nice pair of skins. I also wore a t-shirt under my C/A but I might try just a singlet, or nothing at all if that is still too hot.

Go to target and get their knock off underarmor stuff:

http://www.target.com/Mens-Activewear-Clothing/b/10825231/ref=sc_fe_l_1_3608901_31?node=10825231

About 12 bucks for a shirt and 10 for shorts. Also pick up a water bottle.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Polish posted:

http://www.target.com/Mens-Activewear-Clothing/b/10825231/ref=sc_fe_l_1_3608901_31?node=10825231

Vouching for this stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of want to try those mesh track pants instead of hockey socks.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Is it funny that I read this thread even though I never played ice hockey, have no real ambition too (I can barely skate) but I love reading this thread and hearing about your guys daily battles to not suck.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Polish posted:

I did the Walmart thing: $10 for shirt, $10 for pants. The nice thing about the pants is that I can wear just those underneath my pants and pads. They're slippery. Maybe that helps pad rotation?

The sucky thing (about the pants) is I had to buy them online because I couldn't find it in the stores. The shipping was free, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Thanks for the tips Martytoof, I did have my lower straps super tight. I think I have the same as aejix (what up xpulse buddy).

Here are some super blurry "too fast for focus" action shots to illustrate how bad my ankles were ready to snap.

• Locked thread