Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Scrotos posted:

Is it funny that I read this thread even though I never played ice hockey, have no real ambition too (I can barely skate) but I love reading this thread and hearing about your guys daily battles to not suck.

The same reason I read e/n sometimes.. :smithicide:

I finnaly have a picture of me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Scrotos posted:

Is it funny that I read this thread even though I never played ice hockey, have no real ambition too (I can barely skate) but I love reading this thread and hearing about your guys daily battles to not suck.

i do the same thing. i used to fool around in the net (roller) when i was in high school when my friends and i would play, even though i'm usually a forward. i really liked it even though i wasn't particularly good. i haven't gotten back into the goal in hockey but i've become a pretty good broomball goalie (don't laugh) over the last 5 years. i've really improved my positioning and athleticism and i'm seriously thinking about giving hockey goalie a serious try next year when i've finished recovering from my knee surgery.

i do kind of like the fact though that i'm good at goal in broomball and horrendous as a forward and the opposite in hockey. when i play street hockey with my broomball people, i've surprised them a few times because they don't really expect me to be any good out of the net :cawg:

e: the real thing is that i'm a right handed shot but play goalie lefty because my friend does and i learned to play with his equipment. it's even carried over with me to broomball (which isn't really a bad thing because i use my stick more than my "glove" so i feel a lot more comfortable with my stick in my dominant hand) but i really think that if/when i do get back into hockey goalie and have enough money to buy my own equipment, i'm going to buy right-handed stick/glove/blocker and learn to play that way.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 19, 2010

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
I just dropped a grand on a combo set of barely used 35+2 Simmons 995's in white/black/silver. They're in transit from Conneticut, photos to come when they get to California. They should be a definitive upgrade from the ol' 34" RBK 6K's, which were too short for my freakishly unproportional legs (18" ATK, 5'9) and starting to fall apart in the boot

Also: Scrotos, pick up some drat pads and play!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

brosef deluxe posted:

Scrotos, pick up some drat pads and play!

We'll help

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

The same reason I read e/n sometimes.. :smithicide:

I finnaly have a picture of me!

After the KoHo 580 and 590 graphics, the P2s have to be my favourite design.

Which is funny because I think I hated them when they first came out :q:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Obama Yo Mama posted:

i do the same thing. i used to fool around in the net (roller) when i was in high school when my friends and i would play, even though i'm usually a forward. i really liked it even though i wasn't particularly good. i haven't gotten back into the goal in hockey but i've become a pretty good broomball goalie (don't laugh) over the last 5 years. i've really improved my positioning and athleticism and i'm seriously thinking about giving hockey goalie a serious try next year when i've finished recovering from my knee surgery.

i do kind of like the fact though that i'm good at goal in broomball and horrendous as a forward and the opposite in hockey. when i play street hockey with my broomball people, i've surprised them a few times because they don't really expect me to be any good out of the net :cawg:

e: the real thing is that i'm a right handed shot but play goalie lefty because my friend does and i learned to play with his equipment. it's even carried over with me to broomball (which isn't really a bad thing because i use my stick more than my "glove" so i feel a lot more comfortable with my stick in my dominant hand) but i really think that if/when i do get back into hockey goalie and have enough money to buy my own equipment, i'm going to buy right-handed stick/glove/blocker and learn to play that way.

Just to be clear, do you hold your goalie stick with your left or right hand? That being said, since you are recovering from a new injury, I would recommend starting off by working on flexiblity, especially in your hips and groin, and building up lower body strength. Then once your knee is ready for it, you can try doing some ice skating or roller blading and work on things like T-pushes, C-cuts, and shuffling, all of which will help you a lot once you make the transition to goalie.

If you haven't checked it out already, the Goalie Store Bulletin Board is a great reference. The community may seem a bit daunting at first, but as long as you remember to search before you post a thread, then you should be fine.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Aniki posted:

If you haven't checked it out already, the Goalie Store Bulletin Board is a great reference. The community may seem a bit daunting at first, but as long as you remember to search before you post a thread, then you should be fine.
Also a great place to find good, protective gear on the cheap.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I have my first private lesson with a goalie coach tomorrow. I've previously gone to one inline clinic and a two-day ice clinic last summer, so it will be interesting to see where he thinks my game is at. I am hoping to focus on backside recoveries and angles when shooters come in wide, but really whatever instruction I get and drills I run through should be a big help.

In preperation for my lesson tomorrow, I finally got back to the gym and did some cardio and about 30 minutes of stretching. I tried out the foam roller, the soft rollers suck, but I found a firmer one and it seemed to help with the tightness in my hips. I'll try it out a few more times at the gym, but if I like it, I might be a dork and buy a small roller to take with me to the rink for pregame stretching.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Aniki posted:

Just to be clear, do you hold your goalie stick with your left or right hand?

currently in my right hand but i'm planning on switching it to my left so i can catch with my right. that way i can pass/shoot the puck a lot better than i currently do (i finally learned how to shoot decently lefty so i don't have to flip the stick and go backhand! :downs:) and my glove will be a lot faster.

and thanks for the pointers, i'll keep all that stuff in mind. unfortunately for me, i won't be able to ever start running again and playing non-contact sports until like september at the earliest (more like end of november probably but i seem to be recovering relatively quick so i'm trying to stay optimistic) so i'm a long way away from even starting any of that.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 19, 2010

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Just had our first game against a team that's usually winning our league or coming in second. Managed to get lit up for 10 though quite a few were some redirects I had no chance on.

I think my biggest thing is I need to play some more and figure out the best amount of tightening for my pads. I tried to keep 'em loose but then I realized they were just too loose. Guess I'm going to be headed to a ton of free-skates from now on to try to get everything figured out cause man I need to get my pads broken in.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

currently in my right hand but i'm planning on switching it to my left so i can catch with my right. that way i can pass/shoot the puck a lot better than i currently do (i finally learned how to shoot decently lefty so i don't have to flip the stick and go backhand! :downs:) and my glove will be a lot faster.
As a goalie who catches left but shoots right when skating out, I recommend against the switch, especially if you have spent any time playing baseball/softball. I was a horrible shot as goalie until I started using the "Turco grip"/overhand grip. It really isn't that hard to learn at all.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

the whole reason why i thought i was able to start as a lefty was because i was a catcher when i played baseball, thinking that catching the ball with the same hand would be easier, but i failed to realize that my dominant hand is like twice as fast as my other hand and since i don't have to throw the ball at all and i already shoot that way, it'd probably benefit me to make the switch or forever be cursed with the shittiest glove hand ever.

i also started using the turco grip, that's what enabled me to not have to flip the stick anymore.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

FYI your use of "lefty" is confusing. Goalies call it "full right" when you catch right, and.. umm.. "not retarded" or something the other way.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i was always under the impression that your handedness in goal is based on what hand you catch with. i'm currently a lefty (catching left) and want to switch to righty (catching right). that's correct, right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So you're regular wanting to switch to Full Right.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
That would be full right.. the non-mutant way to play. All you freaks with your left handed catch gloves..scoff scoff..

Anyone know how to shoot/pass, using your knee? I've seen a few goalies do it, where you kinda use your knee as a fulcrum and put your glove hand on the top of the stick and just kinda launch the puck. It is a god drat mystery to me.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Polish posted:

Anyone know how to shoot/pass, using your knee? I've seen a few goalies do it, where you kinda use your knee as a fulcrum and put your glove hand on the top of the stick and just kinda launch the puck. It is a god drat mystery to me.
You mean blocker on top?

I can sort of do it, but I'm convinced just spending time learning how to shoot the normal way is more worthwhile.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Full right? Why not just put the blocker on your foot while you're at it :smug:

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Pssshhh full right. I hold a stick like a retard when I put it in my left hand. Plus, it makes more sense for me to puckhandle with my strong arm.

That being said I still suck using my left hand. It took a lot of rounds of playing catch with my friends to get used to catching with my left.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Polish posted:

That would be full right.. the non-mutant way to play. All you freaks with your left handed catch gloves..scoff scoff..

It's pretty easy. Get the puck in rather tight, make sure it's at about the heel of your stick, use your knee as a fulcrum as you said, and get a nice quick, powerful torque on your stick which will cause the puck to go along the blade of your stick and be a "normal" shot. For all intents and purposes your knee just takes the place of the leverage your glove hand usually provides.

Edit: and as far as terminology goes: Catching glove on your left hand, blocker on your right = Regular or Normal. Catching hand on your right hand and blocker on your left = Full right. The word "left" or "lefty" is never used for, well, anything.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 19, 2010

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Since we're on stick handling I have a question. Last night I noticed that if I held my stick right near where the paddle starts to get wide the index-finger pad that's on the side of my finter would get in the way and prevent me from being able to easily slide the stick up and down.

Is there any other way I can hold the stick so it doesn't happen?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
You guys remember when we were talking about keeping your stick behind your trapper when covering up pucks that are coming towards you? Well, not doing that almost ruined my :siren:FIRST SHUTOUT:siren:. I came out to freeze a puck, and whiffed. I guess I still got a piece of it because the puck drifted into the corner instead of the net, but still...:3:. My defenseman came over and kinda laughed at me while the play was still going on.

I only made 6 saves, but not a lot I can do about that. It was interesting because we played this team before and I almost had the shutout then, but they scored as time ran out. It was not to be this time, though, because a huge storm rolled through and the lights went out with 44 seconds left and they called the game. My teammates keep telling me there's asterisk by my shutout.

Aniki posted:

If you get an account and all that, then the first thing you need to do is put ryeno42 on your ignore list.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

real_scud posted:

Since we're on stick handling I have a question. Last night I noticed that if I held my stick right near where the paddle starts to get wide the index-finger pad that's on the side of my finter would get in the way and prevent me from being able to easily slide the stick up and down.

Is there any other way I can hold the stick so it doesn't happen?

It sounds like you're trying to put your entire hand around the shaft of your stick instead of putting your index finger (at least) on the face of the paddle. The fleshy part between your thumb and index finger and the inside of your middle finger (or ring finger if you want to use 2 fingers on the paddle) should be the only thing that is touching the part where your paddle flares out from the shaft.

I don't think I really articulated that very well (and you may be doing it anyways) and I can't find a picture nor do I have the means to take one but I'm sure if you're confused and interested somebody else here will do it.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Deer_fire posted:

It sounds like you're trying to put your entire hand around the shaft of your stick instead of putting your index finger (at least) on the face of the paddle. The fleshy part between your thumb and index finger and the inside of your middle finger (or ring finger if you want to use 2 fingers on the paddle) should be the only thing that is touching the part where your paddle flares out from the shaft.

I don't think I really articulated that very well (and you may be doing it anyways) and I can't find a picture nor do I have the means to take one but I'm sure if you're confused and interested somebody else here will do it.

Your thumb and index finger (At least) shouldn't be grabbing it like your dick, more like a book.

That's what my buddy told me, so there's another way of explaining it :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah how are you holding your stick? I think that's the most important part. No glove should be binding with the stick if you're holding it properly :(

This is more or less how I hold mine:

If you're holding your stick with all four fingers and thumb wrapped around the shaft then try sticking your index finger out.

I also cut a notch in my sticks for comfort because I love taking a jigsaw to $70 sticks:

But in the end the finger bracing your paddle means the stick shouldn't be twisting in your hands:

And you should have plenty of room assuming your glove isn't just really stiff and might need breaking in or something:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I also cut a notch in my sticks for comfort because I love taking a jigsaw to $70 sticks:

Can I do this to my One95? :q: I got it used for super cheap and plan on replacing it sooner rather than later anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The One95 looks like a one piece -- I probably wouldn't :v:

I only buy lovely sticks so I can get away with it :smugdog:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

The One95 looks like a one piece -- I probably wouldn't :v:

I only buy lovely sticks so I can get away with it :smugdog:

I'm going to start doing that. The One95 was cool and all, but it's like a wet noodle now and gently caress spending the dough on another one.

Edit: Used One95 for sale in great shape :haw:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Yeah how are you holding your stick? I think that's the most important part. No glove should be binding with the stick if you're holding it properly :(

This is more or less how I hold mine:

If you're holding your stick with all four fingers and thumb wrapped around the shaft then try sticking your index finger out.
Ahh yeah I was trying to wrap all my fingers around the blade like I would hold a normal stick. Guess I'll try adjusting it later.

Plus since I bought a wooden stick I too could take a jigsaw to it, but I think I'll hold off on it until I feel more comfortable in net.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah don't get me wrong guys, I'm certainly not RECOMMENDING anyone start hacking up their stick. I play with one unmodified stick and there's very little difference between it and my butchered sticks. Purely a comfort thing.

real_scud posted:

Ahh yeah I was trying to wrap all my fingers around the blade like I would hold a normal stick. Guess I'll try adjusting it later.

Cool cool. Just to clarify, were you holding the stick at the top of the paddle, or higher?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Cool cool. Just to clarify, were you holding the stick at the top of the paddle, or higher?
I was holding it at the top of the paddle with all my fingers wrapped around the shaft instead of keeping the index on top of the paddle.

Just tried playing around with it some and it does feel better, however I still don't feel really comfortable trying to slide my hand up to the top of the stick, say for a poke check. Mostly I think because the index padding keeps rubbing against the shaft and preventing me from easily sort of throwing the stick forward. Last night I got beat on a breakaway when I tried to poke check and instead of my stick really going forward it went a few inches and got stopped by the padding in my blocker.

Maybe I need to give an even looser grip or something, but for the time being I won't be trying a poke check in a game situation.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
You can't be gripping it too tightly and you basically have to throw the stick forward and then catch it at the back when you attempt a poke check - that's about 85% of why goalies have such huge knobs on their stick.

It's all practice, just like everything with goaltending. Go to a sticktime or something and go into a corner or along the boards and just practice your pokechecks; you're probably going to look like a retard but you'll look even worse when you telegraph your pokecheck in a game and by the time you make your attempt the skater's already skated around it and just puts a puck between your completely unprotected 5-hole or just skates around you and puts it into the empty net.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Got a photo of your blocker? I'm curious whether maybe the material is just stiff and will loosen up with use.

e: Of the thumb part of your blocker, I mean.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Got a photo of your blocker? I'm curious whether maybe the material is just stiff and will loosen up with use.

e: Of the thumb part of your blocker, I mean.
Yeah, I think some of it is because they're brand spanking new and need to break in but this part I'm not sure how much will change.

Inside of the glove, you can see the index-finger protection on the top that rubs against my stick

Holding the glove vertical you can easily see the part near the bottom that would hit the stick.

Attempting your modified holding method Marty, you can clearly see the protection rubbing against the stick in this shot.

View from the other side of the grip

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I had a goalie lesson this morning. Everything went pretty well. He changed my stick positioning in a couple situations. When I am guarding the post, he wants me to keep the stick tight against the inside of the leg adjacent to the 5-hole. When I am making a kick save or half butterfly, he wants me to bring my stick up towards the ankle or boot of my leg so that I can use my stick direct the rebound into the corner. He made me focus on watching passes from tape to tape, which is something that I get lazy about. He also had me follow the rebounds off of my pads and get into position to make the next save. We are working on getting rid of some wasted time on my T-pushes, since I tend to move from point to point in a bit of curved motion instead of directly going from point A to point B. There was a bunch of other stuff that we covered as well, it was just good to get out there, have someone watch your play, and make minor adjustments that will help my game. I'm going to Ozzie again tonight with my friends, so that I can work on some of the drills that we covered.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Martytoof posted:

i've seen composite sticks sold like this. i'm not sure if they were stock like that or used because it was at play it again, but it looked pretty new.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

scud, it looks like that's something that might loosen up with time, but it's weird that the glove was designed that way. Honestly as much as you probably don't want to hear this but when things on my equipment bother me like that I take a pair of scissors to them and trim them off.

I'm kind of at a loss for answers because that looks like pretty ill thought out product design on Sherwood's part.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

i've seen composite sticks sold like this. i'm not sure if they were stock like that or used because it was at play it again, but it looked pretty new.

Yeah, I've seen some crazy composite sticks floating around lately and wish I could own a few, but then I look at the price tag and don't feel too bad about my $50-70 hackjob special :3:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Obama Yo Mama posted:

If I remember correct it's a Sher-Wood 5030c or something like that. They have a regular version of this stick and a composite version, which sells for like $129 if I remember correctly.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

real_scud posted:

Yeah, I think some of it is because they're brand spanking new and need to break in but this part I'm not sure how much will change.

Inside of the glove, you can see the index-finger protection on the top that rubs against my stick

Holding the glove vertical you can easily see the part near the bottom that would hit the stick.

Attempting your modified holding method Marty, you can clearly see the protection rubbing against the stick in this shot.

View from the other side of the grip

Not to be all holier than thou as far as beginner/intermediate/senior/pro level stuff goes, but what level stuff is that? A lot of company's lower level stuff probably does that kind of thing because it's not like they really care to make sure the measurements are going to work out to a millimeter where they want them to be. Anyways, as you use it more it'll start to create less friction as the material wears down but just judging from the pictures (always harder to judge from pictures than trying it on first hand) the way it's constructed doesn't look like it should impede a poke check that much at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Deer_fire posted:

Not to be all holier than thou as far as beginner/intermediate/senior/pro level stuff goes, but what level stuff is that? A lot of company's lower level stuff probably does that kind of thing because it's not like they really care to make sure the measurements are going to work out to a millimeter where they want them to be. Anyways, as you use it more it'll start to create less friction as the material wears down but just judging from the pictures (always harder to judge from pictures than trying it on first hand) the way it's constructed doesn't look like it should impede a poke check that much at all.
I honestly don't what level they are, but it's a Sherwood 9990 senior blocker/catcher combo. I think the T90 took it's place so maybe it's their low-end stuff?

I also imagine eventually that part of the protection will start to rub and get looser but I'm glad I mentioned my issues with the indx-finger since I was holding the stick in a bad way and now I think it'll be a lot better.

• Locked thread