Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Why is the concept of different planes of existence so hard to comprehend that it has to keep being pigeonholed as purgatory ? Given the content of the series it's pretty obvious that they are talking about something more substantial than themes from old books.

Well I just say purgatory for convenience, I don't believe it is literally the Christian purgatory. If it was the Christian one then Sayid would surely be headed straight to hell for being an unbeliever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

marktheando posted:

Well I just say purgatory for convenience, I don't believe it is literally the Christian purgatory. If it was the Christian one then Sayid would surely be headed straight to hell for being an unbeliever.

Unless it's the islamic purgatory. :raise:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

marktheando posted:

And I'll say that when he appeared to Jack on the mainland that was just a hallucination, since Smokey shouldn't be able to leave the island and Jack shouldn't be able to see ghosts.

That has to be it. There is just no other way to explain it within the confines of MiB's powers.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Johnny B. Goode posted:

That could also be the case (I know you're being partially facetious but w/e). The donkey wheel room appearance of Christian could be explained that he appeared as a ghost or whatever to help keep things on track. After all he needed Jack to "move on."

If Christian really was Christian in the Wheel Room why would he need to confirm to Locke that he would have to die? WHAT A DICK

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Is there a better one-word term for the "side-verse" that I can use instead of purgatory?

Not one word, but I could live with calling it "another life". :3:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

superjew posted:

Is there a better one-word term for the "side-verse" that I can use instead of purgatory?

My wife calls it "the waiting place."

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

superjew posted:

Limbo or afterlife.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The other plane ?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

The Alt

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Try this on for size: the airline lost Christian's body in the real world, same as the sideways. That's why the coffin was empty.

Anyway, to answer your question that's been answered 50 times already, MiB needed Locke's body on the plane so that when he showed up there on the beach people would think Locke had actually been resurrected. That's important, because without that Richard and Ben would have just went oh hey smoke monster. That was the point of Ilanna and Co.'s towing around Locke's body, to say hey look he's REALLY dead and you know who looks like dead people?

In purgatory, they didn't lose Christian's body. It was never there. Now obviously that can't be the same for the real world. But the coffin was on the plane. So either the airline put a bodyless coffin on a plane, or the body fell out, which is very likely when a plane explodes in half in midair and tumbles through the jungle.

I think the more important aspect of the coffin being empty (and Jack subsequently smashing it to bits) was the thematic element of not being able to 'just let it be over', like he said at the airport terminal.

It's not over till it's over, Jack.

Now, second. I honestly think I have something when it comes to MULTIPLE people at different times seeing Smokey as the same thing. I think that is a limit to his powers. He can make manifestations, sure. He can make them solid, sure. But he can't make multiple people see the same thing. For that, the body needs to be on the island.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

FrensaGeran posted:

In purgatory, they didn't lose Christian's body. It was never there. Now obviously that can't be the same for the real world. But the coffin was on the plane. So either the airline put a bodyless coffin on a plane, or the body fell out, which is very likely when a plane explodes in half in midair and tumbles through the jungle.

Yea but what about the third time-line?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That's where the Observers come from :ssh:...wait wrong show.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

marktheando posted:

Desmond wasn't in purgatory in flashes before your eyes, his life there was his real life, not his bizarro purgatory life where he didn't know Penny and Widmore was his best friend!

Well that's why a said "(a) purgatory." Yeah alternate plane or spiritual plane or something would be a better word. In any case I don't think it was, after all, because it seems that when he "comes back" he accepts what he experienced as his actual past. Too bad really, it could explain so much, especially how Eloise could be at the jewelry store, and the whole red shoes thing.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

In any case I don't think it was, after all, because it seems that when he "comes back" he accepts what he experienced as his actual past.

How so? I remember him crying for "another chance to change it". Clearly he wasn't re-experiencing his past, because that makes no sense. If his experience was part of the normal time-line, and there's one time-line, why, if it is the real past, does he references a previous round of being IN that past? He says repeatedly in London that THIS time will be different. But how can there be a THIS time, with one timeline? Unless it's purgatory.

Remember, even in the finale, Desmond doesn't understand what the purgatory is, even as he's explaining it to Jack. He doesn't know it's heaven or another timeline or whatever, it's just a different place where you can right your wrongs.

Desmond tried to right his wrong in FBYE, but the Island wasn't done with him.

e: Think of it like this
1995: Desmond goes to a ring shop to buy Penny's ring. A clerk who is NOT Eloise offers him the ring. He thinks about it, has second thoughts, gives the ring back, and goes to meet Penny to take the picture, and then subsequently dump her.
2004: Desmond re-experiences that same situation, except this time there is one notable difference. Eloise is the store clerk. SHE references how, in the real timeline, Desmond doesn't even buy the ring. Desmond tries to change things this time, but, seeing that the same picture was taken, along with the conversation Eloise had with him earlier, he resigns himself to the fact that he's not worthy of her love.

And then a cricket bat hits him in the head and he wakes up naked in the jungle.

This is different from 'The Constant', to be clear. In the Constant, he's "remembering" a past experience, one where his current consciousness went back in time. Just like when Faraday tells him to find his mother. That REALLY happened, and Desmond didn't remember it till it concurrently happened, when he wakes up on his boat.

If you had asked him, pre-Constant, what do you remember about basic training? He would likely remember the bulk of his time there, and perhaps there'd be a small blank spot in his mind. That blank spot would later be filled when he crossed the Island-sphere at the wrong angle and began consciousness-jumping.

e2: \/ \/ read this ^

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 1, 2010

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

I always assumed Smokey took Christian's body to gently caress with Jack, make him think his Dad had actually been resurrected and was wandering around the island.

FrensaGeran posted:

How so? I remember him crying for "another chance to change it". Clearly he wasn't re-experiencing his past, because that makes no sense. If his experience was part of the normal time-line, and there's one time-line, why, if it is the real past, does he references a previous round of being IN that past? He says repeatedly in London that THIS time will be different. But how can there be a THIS time, with one timeline? Unless it's purgatory.

Remember, even in the finale, Desmond doesn't understand what the purgatory is, even as he's explaining it to Jack. He doesn't know it's heaven or another timeline or whatever, it's just a different place where you can right your wrongs.

I don't think his antics break the rules, he is unable to actually change anything. It's only from his point of view that things have happened twice. And the rules don't apply to Desmond anyway.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

FrensaGeran posted:

1995: Desmond goes to a ring shop to buy Penny's ring. A clerk who is NOT Eloise offers him the ring. He thinks about it, has second thoughts, gives the ring back, and goes to meet Penny to take the picture, and then subsequently dump her.
2004: Desmond re-experiences that same situation, except this time there is one notable difference. Eloise is the store clerk. SHE references how, in the real timeline, Desmond doesn't even buy the ring. Desmond tries to change things this time, but, seeing that the same picture was taken, along with the conversation Eloise had with him earlier, he resigns himself to the fact that he's not worthy of her love.

And then a cricket bat hits him in the head and he wakes up naked in the jungle.

This is different from 'The Constant', to be clear. In the Constant, he's "remembering" a past experience, one where his current consciousness went back in time. Just like when Faraday tells him to find his mother. That REALLY happened, and Desmond didn't remember it till it concurrently happened, when he wakes up on his boat.

If you had asked him, pre-Constant, what do you remember about basic training? He would likely remember the bulk of his time there, and perhaps there'd be a small blank spot in his mind. That blank spot would later be filled when he crossed the Island-sphere at the wrong angle and began consciousness-jumping.

Yeah yeah good points. I should have posted last night when it was still all fresh in my mind.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

e2: \/ \/ read this ^

Hmmm I'm not convinced but I can see where you are coming from.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I'm just making a not-that-rash connection between the two times we see Eloise knowing a little more than she has any right to, reasonably. In FBYE, and Happily Ever After/The End.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

But in the Lamppost in season 5, Desmond lambasts Eloise for making him go to the island. Wouldn't Eloise be like "No I didn't!"

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Eloise was influencing Desmond's life. Her dead-but-not-yet-dead-son's future journal made it clear that he was very important. Desmond says "you made me", referencing his misunderstanding of FBYE, but Eloise might just hear it as "you've been tampering behind the scenes", which she clearly has.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

euphronius posted:

Christian on the freighter is the most problematic appearance.

Right now I am thinking it was angel Christian appearing at the moment of Michael's death.
His freighter appearance was preceded by whispers, too. Not smokey-noises. The Christian thing was something they really didn't seem to know where they were going with from the start. They probably just liked the actor and figured they'd think up an explanation later and honestly, who can blame them? That or they assumed he would be a ghost and later changed their minds and made him smokey. I don't know. It's something that should've been answered in the show. Or they just shouldn't have had him on the freighter at all.

marktheando posted:

Desmond wasn't in purgatory in flashes before your eyes, his life there was his real life, not his bizarro purgatory life where he didn't know Penny and Widmore was his best friend!

The hatch noises etc were just to clue in the audience that Desmond was living through his flashback and that he remembered his life on the island. That his consciousness was time travelling.
Why would one EM burst send him to the past and another send him to the pre-afterlife? And if he's in the past, how do you explain Eloise knowing so much about what's going on? And don't say the diary. There's no way Faraday would have written so many specifics about the dude with the shoes.

Edit:

Wyld Cannon posted:

But in the Lamppost in season 5, Desmond lambasts Eloise for making him go to the island. Wouldn't Eloise be like "No I didn't!"
Awwwww. gently caress.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

No, it's fine. Real-Eloise can position Desmond exactly where she wants him to be, for whatever reasons and motives she has (something I'm perfectly willing to admit at being in the dark about), but she can't know when a red-shoed man will die, or where exactly, or what ring shop exactly Desmond went to, at what day, on what time. She can't know all that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

His freighter appearance was preceded by whispers, too. Not smokey-noises. The Christian thing was something they really didn't seem to know where they were going with from the start. They probably just liked the actor and figured they'd think up an explanation later and honestly, who can blame them? That or they assumed he would be a ghost and later changed their minds and made him smokey. I don't know. It's something that should've been answered in the show. Or they just shouldn't have had him on the freighter at all.

I do think this is probably what actually happened. I choose to believe it was Smokey though.

LividLiquid posted:

Why would one EM burst send him to the past and another send him to the pre-afterlife? And if he's in the past, how do you explain Eloise knowing so much about what's going on? And don't say the diary. There's no way Faraday would have written so many specifics about the dude with the shoes. Like

The diary. And both EM bursts sent his consciousness time travelling, one into his past, one into his far future, when he was dead and in the pre-afterlife.

But yeah I do agree that they probably hadn't really though through the nature of Christian and Eloise when they wrote those episodes. Those two characters seem to be the causes of most of Lost's unexplained weird stuff.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

marktheando posted:

I do think this is probably what actually happened. I choose to believe it was Smokey though.

The diary. And both EM bursts sent his consciousness time travelling, one into his past, one into his far future, when he was dead and in the pre-afterlife.

You're forgetting one more. In 'Happily Ever After', Charles Widmore shoots a giant EM burst into Desmond, which sends him to a confirmed purgatory. Ask yourself "How the gently caress does that work?" and you'll draw the same conclusion that started me on this idea. He had been to purgatory before. In the same magnetic disaster that made him the "special" man he became.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

she can't know...what ring shop exactly Desmond went to, at what day, on what time. She can't know all that.

She doesn't have to. In the case of the ring shop, she wouldn't even have to know the exact day. Hell, all she absolutely has to know is that Desmond is going to buy a ring, but doesn't. WHH takes care of all the rest.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

You're forgetting one more. In 'Happily Ever After', Charles Widmore shoots a giant EM burst into Desmond, which sends him to a confirmed purgatory. Ask yourself "How the gently caress does that work?" and you'll draw the same conclusion that started me on this idea. He had been to purgatory before. In the same magnetic disaster that made him the "special" man he became.

That's the one I meant, in 'Happily Ever After'. I don't see it as being a huge stretch to think of Desmond's mind going so far into the future that he's in the afterlife. I don't see why there would be two purgatory's though, with one being the same as Desmond's real life. Surely it is simpler for Desmond in 'Flashes Before Your Eyes' to be time travelling back into his past, and for 'Happily Ever After' to be a trip to the afterlife.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

She doesn't have to. In the case of the ring shop, she wouldn't even have to know the exact day. Hell, all she absolutely has to know is that Desmond is going to buy a ring, but doesn't. WHH takes care of all the rest.

But explain to me how he doesn't take the ring, and then TAKES the ring? That's two distinct playing out of events. WHH completely contradicts this. You can't remember a completely different occurrence if that occurrence happened to the you that is experiencing the new occurrence.

e:

marktheando posted:

That's the one I meant, in 'Happily Ever After'. I don't see it as being a huge stretch to think of Desmond's mind going so far into the future that he's in the afterlife. I don't see why there would be two purgatory's though, with one being the same as Desmond's real life. Surely it is simpler for Desmond in 'Flashes Before Your Eyes' to be time travelling back into his past, and for 'Happily Ever After' to be a trip to the afterlife.

There is no "now", here.

Also, Desmond, after the key turning, gets an innate sense of impending death. Him going to the death waiting lobby nicely explains this.

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 1, 2010

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

But explain to me how he doesn't take the ring, and then TAKES the ring? That's two distinct playing out of events. WHH completely contradicts this.

Desmond is special. Besides, how do we know that's not exactly what happened the first time? He buys the ring anyhow, but ends up throwing it into a river when he's had time to think about Eloise and her seeming omniscience? The only difference between the first and time and time he travels back is...his own subjective experience.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

But explain to me how he doesn't take the ring, and then TAKES the ring? That's two distinct playing out of events. WHH completely contradicts this.

e:

WHH doesn't apply to Desmond. If it did, Faraday wouldn't be able to give him that message. If Desmond was like everyone else and unable to change things, there would be no need for Eloise to interfere at all.

FrensaGeran posted:

There is no "now", here.

Also, Desmond, after the key turning, gets an innate sense of impending death. Him going to the death waiting lobby nicely explains this.

Not once they get to the afterlife, no, there is no now. So it occurs at the same time for Jack who dies on the island and for Desmond who dies in his bed aged 101 (hopefully). But for his mind to get there it would have to travel into the future to after his death.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Desmond is special. Besides, how do we know that's not exactly what happened the first time? He buys the ring anyhow, but ends up throwing it into a river when he's had time to think about Eloise and her seeming omniscience? The only difference between the first and time and time he travels back is...his own subjective experience.

Eloise is genuinely surprised that he takes the ring, meaning at a different time, he didn't. Desmond cannot change the past. He never did. He was special because he could stand the electromagnetism that caused things like consciousness jumps. He wasn't special for changing the future. An image of Charlie dying through an arrow in the neck isn't changing the future. The vision always happened, and his eventual decision to save Charlie always happened. Only by Charlie turning off the Looking Glass could the rest of the show play out.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Christ Desmond I know throwing it into the water makes a nice visual but I'm sure Eloise would have been happy to give you a refund.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

Eloise is genuinely surprised that he takes the ring, meaning at a different time, he didn't.

No, she's surprised because Faraday's journal says he doesn't. Even if he didn't buy the ring then and there, how would Eloise know that? My point is the experience doesn't happen to her twice, like it does to Desmond. There is no "different time" for her.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LooseChanj posted:

WHATEVER HAPPENED, HAPPENED DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Okay, it might, but I've always viewed WHH as a "you can't kill Hitler" thing. Anything you've done in the world's past always happened. What it doesn't do, however, is give you knowledge. Eloise would still need to know the future for that moment to have occurred. She wasn't the one time-traveling, either.

I guess I see what you're saying. It always happened that way, so she wouldn't need to know which day he'd go in for it to happen, I'm just saying that I still think she would. Just that it was inevitable that she would succeed eventually given the fact that she already had.

Except Desmond is special and the rules don't apply to him so in this one instance the past changed and I thought that made sense because it was purgatory but then in real life Desmond was mad at Eloise for sending him to the island and oh bugger, I've gone cross-eyed.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

No, she's surprised because Faraday's journal says he doesn't. Even if he didn't buy the ring then and there, how would Eloise know that? My point is the experience doesn't happen to her twice, like it does to Desmond. There is no "different time" for her.
Going into this, remember, Desmond never describes to Faraday about his post-key turning adventure.

Okay, tell me if this is your timeline.
1977: Eloise gets her future son's journal, and for god knows what reason, he describes the place, location and time of a man dying horribly near the very ring shop where minutes before, Desmond Hume will decide NOT to buy a ring.

1995: For some reason, Eloise is fully conscious and rather pretentious about the knowledge that Desmond is currently undergoing "consciousness time travel" and uses the man in red shoes as very convenient example of the new power he has just gotten in 2004, something ALSO that Desmond never described to Faraday.

She is then completely taken aback by the concept that Desmond takes the ring, which, if Faraday is so fastidious about the concrete details, then WHY does he say that he doesn't?

Course correcting is just what people who consciousness/physically time travel call the realization that their actions are the exact, true causes of the future. There is no deviation.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

Going into this, remember, Desmond never describes to Faraday about his post-key turning adventure.

Do we know that for a fact? I don't think we do.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Do we know that for a fact? I don't think we do.

Desmond's first contact with Faraday was in season 4 with the satellite phone during the Constant. And THAT was definitely consciousness time travel, and I'm right there with you, but you need to understand he NEVER changes the past. That was just fulfillment of prophecy. That's why Daniel knew the exact figures to give him. It's a loop of consistent information.

Desmond NEVER leaves the boat, and Faraday stops only to unload passengers at the end. They never speak. They never see each other or speak to each other again until the Hatch door.

The only thing in Daniel's journal was that Desmond Hume would be his Constant, because he was the only human he knew for SURE he'd meet later in life, and could be used as an anchor.

That's why Widmore and Eloise machinate his life behind the scenes. They wanna make sure he's close.

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 1, 2010

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

Desmond's first contact with Faraday was in season 4 with the satellite phone during the Constant. And THAT was definitely consciousness time travel, and I'm right there with you, but you need to understand he NEVER changes the past. That was just fulfillment of prophecy. That's why Daniel knew the exact figures to give him. It's a loop of consistent information.

Desmond NEVER leaves the boat, and Faraday stops only to unload passengers at the end. They never speak. They never see each other or speak to each other again until the Hatch door.

The only thing in Daniel's journal was that Desmond Hume would be his Constant, because he was the only human he knew for SURE he'd meet later in life, and could be used as an anchor.

That's why Widmore and Eloise machinate his life behind the scenes. They wanna make sure he's close.

No they met at the beach camp before Desmond went out on the chopper, I'm pretty sure Faraday mentions this during the phone call, but Desmond can't remember because he's 1996 Desmond.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

marktheando posted:

No they met at the beach camp before Desmond went out on the chopper, I'm pretty sure Faraday mentions this during the phone call, but Desmond can't remember because he's 1996 Desmond.

No they met briefly at the chopper landing site. There was no scene of Daniel asking Desmond detailed loving questions about men in red shoes. Daniel probably didn't even recognize him with the beard.

Remember, Daniel is still slowly healing his memory. He struggles with his name, 3 upside down cards, let alone the where-with-all to do a long interview.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

There was no scene of Daniel asking Desmond detailed loving questions about men in red shoes.

There doesn't need to be. We've got a proven possible way for that information to make it into Faraday's journal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Dude they took off immediately once Sayid arrived. This is bunk.

e: ok once Sayid arrived but still. hosed-up-mentally-still Daniel is not making detailed notes about Desmond's life, and if he were, there'd be a scene about it.

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 2, 2010

• Locked thread