Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Unless we see new stations I can't imagine anything that would need "closing down".

The tempest was deactivated, the swan imploded, the looking glass flooded, the orchid isn't simply a Dharma station, the flame exploded, the pearl seems to spend most of its time closed down anyway, the arrow is just a room and the staff is just a collection of rooms and the bears + shark are already loose. All I can imagine him doing is kicking the poo poo out of an ultrasound machine and unplugging all of the refrigerators in the barracks.

Of course he could always blow up a church in Los Angeles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I get the impression they're not necessarily on the island.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

spe posted:

Unless we see new stations I can't imagine anything that would need "closing down".

Of course he could always blow up a church in Los Angeles.

That's what I was thinking, the Lamp Post.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I hope they come across the last living polar bear and Hurley tames him.

Jokes aside, I think it'd be neat if they could find time to have Hurley drop in and say what's up to Rose and Bernard. Maybe even task them with something. Maybe they could start a new generation of others. Although I suppose it's hard to visualize how things will go without a smoke monster to mix things up.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

superjew posted:

I hope they come across the last living polar bear and Hurley tames him.

Jokes aside, I think it'd be neat if they could find time to have Hurley drop in and say what's up to Rose and Bernard. Maybe even task them with something. Maybe they could start a new generation of others. Although I suppose it's hard to visualize how things will go without a smoke monster to mix things up.

Overpopulation. Deforestation. Industrialization. Eventual ecological death.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Deforestation.

Smokey ripped trees up like he was plucking eyebrows, this is a wash.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Ghost Beach Rave.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I hope that they show something near the end of Hurley's reign, hundreds of years later, with a new threat. I also hope it's not just 12 minutes of one time period in 2008 or something.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Wyld Cannon posted:

I hope that they show something near the end of Hurley's reign, hundreds of years later, with a new threat. I also hope it's not just 12 minutes of one time period in 2008 or something.
It's 12 minutes of Hurley manipulating people to the island to bring him Hot Pockets.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

CheshireCat posted:

It's 12 minutes of Hurley manipulating people to the island to bring him Hot Pockets.

But whenever he's about to eat one Ben scares him and he chucks it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CheshireCat posted:

Only if it's a 12 minute musical number

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I hope it's just a comical bit they did for the fans. You can't have Hurley in it and make it 100% serious

unless it involves the deaths of three primary characters.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Is Jacob's speech about Candidacy just being a job for anyone who wants it really a con? He said he picked them because their lives sucked, but he was involved in their lives since they were young.

Also noticed the hilarity of Ben bringing Locke to see Jacob and having no one be there and Hurley bringing Jack to see Jacob and he actually is a ghost.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, I'm hoping for a comedy myself too, but we'll see.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lycus posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping for a comedy myself too, but we'll see.

So we have Hurley shutting down a Dharma station and we get some answers? I think that means he finds the hatch with Joop the ape in it, who then explains all the loose ends. "Yes Hugo, Eloise knew about the man with red shoes because she read it in Faraday's journal."

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

marktheando posted:

So we have Hurley shutting down a Dharma station and we get some answers? I think that means he finds the hatch with Joop the ape in it, who then explains all the loose ends. "Yes Hugo, Eloise knew about the man with red shoes because she read it in Faraday's journal."

That would be mind-blowingly awesome.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
God damnit please be Joop. I think I would cry of happiness if that happened.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I was thinking that maybe Hurley told Daniel the stuff about Desmond, because Desmond told Hurley and Charlie. But then I remember that Hurley left the island, he wasn't stuck in the 1970s with Daniel. Now my theory is that Widmore told him. If that falls apart I'm going to say the smoke monster did it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The mysterious case of Harper, Bitch Psychiatrist.

It's raining at the beach, Juliet is in the jungle right behind the beach, the whispers fire up loudly, Juliet looks all around and around, then bang! Harper is standing behind her.

First, there's only three ways to understand this scene: 1. Harper literally just appeared there, out of thin air; 2. Harper somehow snuck up, or was hiding, or somehow otherwise evaded detection when Juliet was looking all around the open area she was standing in. Invisibility cloak, maybe? 3. Camera trick used to create shock and fear.

I think it's either 1. or 3.

Anyways, Harper tells Juliet Ben wants her to stop Dan and Charlotte from releasing the gas at the Tempest. Juliet must kill them. Jack then appears, and talks to Harper. This is key, since: Have we seen two people see and/or speak with a ghost at the same time? Have we seen two people see and/or speak to Smokey assuming someone's form?

Whispers start back up, loudly, Jack looks briefly away, Poof! Harper is gone, for reasons listed above.

So, what is Harper?

A. A ghost
B. Smokey
C. Harper
D. Something else (please explain)

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

redshirt posted:

Anyways, Harper tells Juliet Ben wants her to stop Dan and Charlotte from releasing the gas at the Tempest. Juliet must kill them. Jack then appears, and talks to Harper. This is key, since: Have we seen two people see and/or speak with a ghost at the same time?

Yeah, Jacob.

quote:

So, what is Harper?

A. A ghost
B. Smokey
C. Harper
D. Something else (please explain)

B. I thought she was dead from the moment she appeared, I was expecting a flashback towards the end of the episode which would reveal that Juliet or Goodwin had killed her. I mean, the whispers point to her being a ghost, and the fact that we never saw her before or since makes it easy to just go with this explanation.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Vivek posted:

But then I remember that Hurley left the island, he wasn't stuck in the 1970s with Daniel.

That and Desmond didn't tell Charlie or Hurley anything at all.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Harper is Harper. She and Isabel jumped on the Others' trawler and sailed off.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

FrensaGeran posted:

Good news Hurley! Expose! is back!

Wait. Where the gently caress is "razzle-dazzle?"

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

That and Desmond didn't tell Charlie or Hurley anything at all.

Not during FBYE, but who's to say he didn't talk about it later? In an off-camera moment. Maybe Hurley had to threaten not to hand him any leaves while they were takin' care of business in the jungle and got the whole story.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why couldn't Eloise have written all of the strange events she witnesses in the already full journal? She knew she was going to receive it and it eliminates the need for 2 purgatorys, a third timeline, Hurley bribing Des with jungle bog-roll or whatever the gently caress some of the posts in this thread have suggested. Occam's razor etc..As I said before I haven't watched the series more than once or even in order so someone please feel free to point out the contradictions with this idea.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Why couldn't Eloise have written all of the strange events she witnesses in the already full journal?

Because she didn't give the full journal to Daniel, she gave him the journal when it was new and empty. Which doesn't preclude her visiting Daniel at some point before he goes to the island and slipping it in the margins somewhere. There, is that acceptable?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Not during FBYE, but who's to say he didn't talk about it later? In an off-camera moment. Maybe Hurley had to threaten not to hand him any leaves while they were takin' care of business in the jungle and got the whole story.

Yeah maybe or maybe a more elegant solution with like, lots of evidence to back it up?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mogomra posted:

Wait. Where the gently caress is "razzle-dazzle?"

Never mind that, where the gently caress is The Cobra?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

Yeah maybe or maybe a more elegant solution with like, lots of evidence to back it up?

Your solution is that FBYE was purgatory right? (Honestly, I don't remember.) Where is there any evidence of that, beyond the sort of cherry picking of lines and reading into things that everyone did throughout the show's run?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I think the biggest mystery of Lost is why a solution to a mystery that makes Lost simpler, more clearly thought out, and more thematically sound would face this much opposition. Either Desmond goes to purgatory when he's hit with giant amounts of EM energy (this is confirmed and not 'cherry picked') or there's an off-screen never mentioned never alluded to and completely paradoxical chain of events that involve Eloise knowing when a man with red shoes will die but not if Desmond will take a ring.

I mean honestly, this is the biggest mystery: why does everyone want FrensaGeran to kill himself in despair?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

there's an off-screen never mentioned never alluded to and completely paradoxical chain of events that involve Eloise knowing when a man with red shoes will die but not if Desmond will take a ring.

But it is alluded to. The woman who, when we first encounter her, appears to be some sort of omniscient "time cop" turns out to be the recipient of information from the future. How a specific piece of information got into the vehicle which conveyed it to her is unimportant. It explains her knowledge of future events. Desmond going to purgatory does not.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

How a specific piece of information got into the vehicle which conveyed it to her is unimportant. It explains her knowledge of future events. Desmond going to purgatory does not.

#1. Nope.

#2. Yes Desmond going to purgatory explains this because the SECOND time he goes to purgatory, Eloise acts EXACTLY LIKE FBYE Eloise. Exactly alike. "This is a violation!" she says when he tries to get Penny's name off the guest list. A violation? Desmond breaking the rules by trying to get closer to Penny? Does that sound at all familiar?

Oh my god I just heard a small pop in my brain.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

#1. Nope.

Silly "nuh uh".

FrensaGeran posted:

#2. Yes Desmond going to purgatory explains this because the SECOND time he goes to purgatory, Eloise acts EXACTLY LIKE FBYE Eloise. Exactly alike. "This is a violation!" she says when he tries to get Penny's name off the guest list. A violation? Desmond breaking the rules by trying to get closer to Penny? Does that sound at all familiar?

So, her demeanor and bearing in the afterlife are all the proof you have? I don't know if you remember this or not, but Desmond was with Penny and in fact broke up with her in FBYE. And oh god, if you really want to insist Desmond went to purgatory twice, you're going to have to explain why the gently caress the universe has to course-correct when you're in loving purgatory. And why the sideways world had significant differences from FBYE to begin with.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Silly "nuh uh".

So, her demeanor and bearing in the afterlife are all the proof you have? I don't know if you remember this or not, but Desmond was with Penny and in fact broke up with her in FBYE. And oh god, if you really want to insist Desmond went to purgatory twice, you're going to have to explain why the gently caress the universe has to course-correct when you're in loving purgatory. And why the sideways world had significant differences from FBYE to begin with.

#1. Actually, you're the one going 'nuh uh' when I say "Hey LooseChanj, you need to explain to me how exactly such detailed and abstract (and apparently wrong only once) information could get into the journal." Nuh uh.

#2. No, that's not all the proof I have. Are my posts being deleted or something?

#3. Yes he broke up with her, because purgatory, when you're ready to die which Desmond was not, is a place where you go to be with your loved ones. Remember how Eloise was so frightened that Desmond would finally make that bond with Penny in Happily Ever After? How afraid she was of the consequences of their love finally coming to fruition? Isn't that the perfect impetus for her, in an earlier purgatory, to do all she can to make sure he doesn't make it THEN?

#4. As for why 'course correction' is needed in purgatory, that's kind of a weird question and I don't know what you mean. Do you mean 'If it's purgatory then why did the man in red shoes die because he'd die in the bath'? She was just giving examples of how you can't change anything, so that he'd once again make the decision to break off his connection with Penny.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
There are tons of areas of Lost that fall apart when you think about them too much. I wouldn't get hung up on them, or involved in endless arguments about them.

Edit: He definitely went back in time though, not to the sideways.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Well thanks for clearing that up. Boy is my face red.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

Leyburn posted:

There are tons of areas of Lost that fall apart when you think about them too much. I wouldn't get hung up on them, or involved in endless arguments about them.

Edit: He definitely went back in time though, not to the sideways.

Is there a cool latin logical argument name for what you just did?? "Guys it doesn't really matter let's not worry about it and anyway this is how it happened" :smug:

I also believe it was time travel because Desmond and Eloise know each other in the real world, and Desmond doesn't even know Penny in the Alt. Why would he purgatorally reset if he knew her before? Does he even know Eloise when he meets her at the party?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

#4. As for why 'course correction' is needed in purgatory, that's kind of a weird question and I don't know what you mean.

Because that was a central loving part of her point! HELLO. "The universe has a way of...course correcting. If he hadn't been crushed he would have fallen in the tub". Or something like that. She couldn't save the man's life because HE WAS GOING TO DIE ANYWAY NO MATTER WHAT. Explain to me why that matters IN THE loving AFTERLIFE. She brought it up to show Desmond the futility of trying to change what? His afterlife? Which, if you're right, got changed ANYWAY.

Jesus now I'm gonna blow a fuse because drat, you are just wrong dude. FBYE was NOT the sideways world.

Edit: Look, it's not a bad theory, and I'm sure the creators will wish they'd thought of it, but it's not what happened.

LooseChanj fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 21, 2010

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Wyld Cannon posted:

Is there a cool latin logical argument name for what you just did?? "Guys it doesn't really matter let's not worry about it and anyway this is how it happened" :smug:

That's not really what I was saying at all. I can understand where the confusion is coming from, because Eloise really shouldn't know about the guy in the red shoes dying (yes Daniels diary blah blah blah). But you gotta look past that rather than concoct an unlikely theory just to make it fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Why does death matter in the afterlife? You literally just asked me that. I'm flabbergasted.

Ok. Here's what we'll do. I have an idea.

Someone, anyone, please. Please. PLEASE give me a reasonable explanation for why Desmond being hit with a large EM burst the second time sends him to purgatory, but not the first.

So, just try to make this make sense.

Desmond + EM burst #1 = Inexplicable, paradoxical, unlike-all-the-other-time-travel-in-the-show time travel.

Desmond + Em burst #2 = Purgatory.

Do this and I will never mention any of this ever again.

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 21, 2010

• Locked thread