Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I can't login to windows 7 at all right now. When I enter my password it hangs at the welcome screen, and no amount of time produces an error. So far I have tried restarting in safe mode (which works) and creating a new Admin account... however that account also freezes at the welcome screen. I have also tried using the repair option on my disk, but it claims nothing is wrong. Turning off all services / startup programs aside from the regular MS ones does nothing too. No new hardware.

What is the next step?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Oh My Science posted:

What is the next step?

Check disk? You can run it from safe mode. It also could be a driver or software problem, though you disabled startup programs.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

LoKout posted:

Check disk? You can run it from safe mode. It also could be a driver or software problem, though you disabled startup programs.

It was a fairly new install so I decided to reinstall. I'm almost certain it's a software problem, I just don't really know what could have caused it. I used check disk & didn't find anything abnormal either. Bad luck I guess.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

m2pt5 posted:

The GUI option will be fine, I don't need to bomb it from orbit. Thanks.

And drat, that's a handy program. XP had that functionality in the folder options dialog, but I can't find it in 7.

Thanks, I wrote it :toot:. (That XP dialog was removed in Vista.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Factor Mystic posted:

Thanks, I wrote it :toot:. (That XP dialog was removed in Vista.)

Those are awesome and bullshit, respectively. I quite liked that dialog. Also I skipped directly from XP to 7.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Why it was removed

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Why is Windows 7 reminding me about backing up my file encryption? I haven't encrypted any files.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Been up and running for a few days now and I'm pretty much liking everything so far. There's a ton of tutorials on Youtube that I have yet to go through, but I'll get around to it pretty soon.

There does seem to be a few things off the top of my head that I would have changed if I was one of the developers. That "show desktop" button in the lower right hand corner is useful, especially the preview feature, but an option to put in the lower left hand corner where Windows users have been clicking the "show desktop" quick launch icon for years seems like a rather obvious omission. It feels unintuitive having spent so many years doing most of my clicking in the lower left hand corner.

I also haven't been able to figure out how to manually drag around and/or arrange files in a folder. I can still do it on the desktop but not in folders. And after some googling it seems that Microsoft actually took that feature out. I almost don't believe it given how it was such a basic, useful function. I'd love to read an article like the one Plorkyeran posted about why they thought this was an intelligent design decision.

Anyway, apologies for the slight rant. I imagine I'm probably just rehashing a bunch of stuff that everyone already went through when Windows 7 first came out.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 30, 2010

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
That was also my biggest gripe with new OS's, is that you get used to doing something an old way, from the old OS, and then you always have to relearn new ways of doing things with the new OS. I usually don't upgrade OS for a long rear end time simply for the sake of keeping my way of running things, but I've found that with each stable upgrade it becomes more and more and more intuitive.

I went from 95 to 2000 to XP to 7 without dealing with all the poo poo in between just because I didn't want to learn how to deal with new OS's every year, but each slow, reluctant jump I appreciated it after a month or so. Just takes time to get used to it.

p.s. <3 7

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

-Blackadder- posted:

I also haven't been able to figure out how to manually drag around and/or arrange files in a folder. I can still do it on the desktop but not in folders. And after some googling it seems that Microsoft actually took that feature out. I almost don't believe it given how it was such a basic, useful function. I'd love to read an article like the one Plorkyeran posted about why they thought this was an intelligent design decision.
My unsubstantiated guess is that very few people actually want to manually rearrange items in folders, but a lot of users accidentally moved files around then could not find them. Alternatively, they simply didn't have time to reimplement it before beta started, and there weren't a lot of complaints about it during beta.

[e] Oh, there's a link in that thread to a post by a shell dev that says almost no one used it so it wasn't worth reimplementing.

Plorkyeran fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 30, 2010

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Plorkyeran posted:

My unsubstantiated guess is that very few people actually want to manually rearrange items in folders, but a lot of users accidentally moved files around then could not find them. Alternatively, they simply didn't have time to reimplement it before beta started, and there weren't a lot of complaints about it during beta.

[e] Oh, there's a link in that thread to a post by a shell dev that says almost no one used it so it wasn't worth reimplementing.

Didn't mean to put you on the spot. That last post wasn't directed at you or anything. Just the article you posted. And yeah, I saw that link they posted as well. Considering how many people in that thread are complaining about it I don't know how much I believe that. Regardless the OS is already miles better than XP so it's not like it's anywhere near a deal breaker or anything it's just like Guilty said; it's incredibly irksome when you're used to using a specific feature and they decide to take it out of the next version.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 30, 2010

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Is there any setting or programme I can use that will stop other programmes from stealing focus?

I use my PC as my HTPC and occasionall something is stealing focus from XBMC. On XP I would have used TweakUI but that doesnt seem to be an option on Windows 7.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

-Blackadder- posted:

Been up and running for a fewThat "show desktop" button in the lower right hand corner is useful, especially the preview feature, but an option to put in the lower left hand corner where Windows users have been clicking the "show desktop" quick launch icon for years seems like a rather obvious omission. It feels unintuitive having spent so many years doing most of my clicking in the lower left hand corner.

While you do have the learned behavior of show desktop next to the Start menu, the corner is a better place for it. You don't have to be near as precise with your mouse movements to use it, since you can just shove over and down and you'll be on it without having to click on a tiny icon located between other icons.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Thermopyle posted:

You don't have to be near as precise with your mouse movements to use it, since you can just shove over and down and you'll be on it without having to click on a tiny icon located between other icons.

It's a pain if you've got a dual monitor setup though, since the cursor just slides off onto the secondary. Well, if the secondary is the right one and you keep your taskbar on the left monitor.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

Why it was removed

What a bunch of poo poo.

"We didn't want to bother making it trigger UAC, so we just removed it."

All the other stuff they mention is irrelevant. People just want to change a file association every now and then. Maybe change an icon, change a file type description, or remove an incorrect association.

Third-part apps have proven the old method is STILL valid with Vista/Windows 7.

Removing an invalid file type association for the current account doesn't even require UAC to be triggered (since it is saved in HKCU, as are many file type settings).

That article is a cop-out and a lie. The DDE / Windows 3 stuff could have easily been left out of a "modern" file-type manager.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Considering how many people in that thread are complaining about it I don't know how much I believe that.
When something is used by hundreds of millions of people, something which annoys a thousandth of a percent of the users will annoys thousands of people. 50 people complaining in a thread that's a high google result doesn't really indicate that it's a common problem.

Xenomorph posted:

All the other stuff they mention is irrelevant. People just want to change a file association every now and then. Maybe change an icon, change a file type description, or remove an incorrect association.

Third-part apps have proven the old method is STILL valid with Vista/Windows 7.
You can change file associations in Windows 7 by just right clicking on a file then clicking on "Choose default program". Being able to change the icon for a file type would be sort of nice I guess, but it's a pretty niche thing that seems reasonable to dump off on third-party programs. I don't know why you'd want to outright remove incorrect associations for files other than if you managed to associate executables with a program, and adding an easy way to fix that is solving the wrong problem.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Plorkyeran posted:

When something is used by hundreds of millions of people, something which annoys a thousandth of a percent of the users will annoys thousands of people. 50 people complaining in a thread that's a high google result doesn't really indicate that it's a common problem.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who were annoyed by it that didn't bother to complain either. Regardless dragging files around to where ever you want them in a in a particular folder was a pretty basic part of previous versions of Windows. I would've thought it's inclusion would've been a no brainer.

I haven't spent more than a few days with the OS but so far I'd say the removal of that option is easily the biggest disparity I've noticed from previous versions.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

You can change file associations in Windows 7 by just right clicking on a file then clicking on "Choose default program". Being able to change the icon for a file type would be sort of nice I guess, but it's a pretty niche thing that seems reasonable to dump off on third-party programs. I don't know why you'd want to outright remove incorrect associations for files other than if you managed to associate executables with a program, and adding an easy way to fix that is solving the wrong problem.

Yes, incorrect associations. That is exactly why you'd want to remove a file association.

For example:

Microsoft used ".SYS" for some text files before.
Double-clicking a SYS file would ask which program you want to open with the file-type.

Previous versions of Windows would allow you to select "Notepad" to open the file. If you somehow made the mistake of checking off the "always open" option, you could delete the association later.

Vista/Windows7 has that option checked off by Default (BAD), and will NOT let you remove the (incorrect) association (double BAD).

This is stupid on so many levels, that at least three different programs were released to try to correct the fuckery.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

What exactly is the point of deleting the association for .sys? All that'll do is make the dialog asking you which program you want to use to open it the next time you double click it, which you can access at any time without deleting the association. I really don't understand how having .sys files associated with notepad is a problem in the first place.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone know where I can get a driver for my Jabra BT8010 bluetooth headset? It's a few years old so I'm not sure it works on Win7 x64. Is there a generic bluetooth driver I can get to work?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SnatchRabbit posted:

Anyone know where I can get a driver for my Jabra BT8010 bluetooth headset? It's a few years old so I'm not sure it works on Win7 x64. Is there a generic bluetooth driver I can get to work?

You did try to pair it first right? There may already be a driver in 7 for it.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

fishmech posted:

You did try to pair it first right? There may already be a driver in 7 for it.

Yes, it seems to pair Ok, but when Windows attempts to find a driver it just kicks an error. I've downloaded and installed the software from Jabra but still no luck.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

Previous versions of Windows would allow you to select "Notepad" to open the file. If you somehow made the mistake of checking off the "always open" option, you could delete the association later.

Vista/Windows7 has that option checked off by Default (BAD), and will NOT let you remove the (incorrect) association (double BAD).

This is stupid on so many levels, that at least three different programs were released to try to correct the fuckery.
It's either checked or not, if it's a binary toggle on/off switch it confuses your point.

MS probably should have idiot proofed it with a "Open once with..." but at least it's not hidden under Shift-Right Click anymore.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if this is Windows 7 related (perhaps a new feature) but is there any way to access the files of a sleeping computer?

I have 3 HTPCs in my house, 1 of them has like 4tb of hard drive space, the others have barely anything because they all get the video files from the main HTPC. But when the HTPC goes into sleep mode, I cannot access that PC anymore.

They are all running Windows 7. Please don't tell me I have to keep this monstrosity on all day to keep it accessable to the other computers?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Hamburglar posted:

I don't know if this is Windows 7 related (perhaps a new feature) but is there any way to access the files of a sleeping computer?

I have 3 HTPCs in my house, 1 of them has like 4tb of hard drive space, the others have barely anything because they all get the video files from the main HTPC. But when the HTPC goes into sleep mode, I cannot access that PC anymore.

They are all running Windows 7. Please don't tell me I have to keep this monstrosity on all day to keep it accessable to the other computers?

Sleep by definition puts the computer in a state where essentially everything but the RAM is turned off, so no, this is impossible. You're going to either have to leave it on or get a NAS or equivalent to be left on instead.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Hamburglar posted:

You could try using Wake On LAN.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So for the second time in a row after un-hibernating, I've gotten a "Hard drive not located, reseat hard drive and reboot computer" error. I wouldn't think it was a windows 7 problem, but it's been freezing a lot during the restore so I don't know.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

LoKout posted:

I think Trillian can change where the popups display. If not, it should :colbert:. You could always set the primary to be the other monitor and then move the taskbar to the secondary monitor. Not sure if that would launch games on the secondary monitor, but you could probably get that working somehow too.
Yeah, I don't think Trillian has that option; I couldn't find it in the settings. Anyway, the popups are apparently connected to the taskbar, so moving it to the secondary monitor let me keep the notifications visible while the fullscreen programs open in the primary. Thanks!

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

change my name posted:

So for the second time in a row after un-hibernating, I've gotten a "Hard drive not located, reseat hard drive and reboot computer" error. I wouldn't think it was a windows 7 problem, but it's been freezing a lot during the restore so I don't know.
This might be an issue where particularly large SATA hard drives might not be able to become ready in the 10 seconds allowed by the driver, so Windows doesn't have access to the drive when it tries to resume from sleep or hibernation. MS released a hotfix for it that you might want to try:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kynetx posted:

You could try using Wake On LAN.

I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thank you.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can anyone recommend any slowdown utilities for Windows 7? The ones I've tried (CpuKiller and Mo'Slo) don't seem to work for Windows 7.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

JosephWongKS posted:

Can anyone recommend any slowdown utilities for Windows 7? The ones I've tried (CpuKiller and Mo'Slo) don't seem to work for Windows 7.

What do you need to do?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

c0burn posted:

What do you need to do?

I'd like to slow down my computer so that I can run an old PC game which would otherwise run too fast to be playable.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

JosephWongKS posted:

I'd like to slow down my computer so that I can run an old PC game which would otherwise run too fast to be playable.

Is it a DOS or Windows game?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

c0burn posted:

Is it a DOS or Windows game?

It's a Windows game. An 10-year old Chinese-language RPG/sim that I suddenly wanted to play again in a rush of nostalgia.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nomenclature posted:

This might be an issue where particularly large SATA hard drives might not be able to become ready in the 10 seconds allowed by the driver, so Windows doesn't have access to the drive when it tries to resume from sleep or hibernation. MS released a hotfix for it that you might want to try:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/

It's only a 120gb though.

Dendra
May 3, 2009
I'm finally upgrading to Windows 7 and since I'll need to do a clean install, I was just wondering if there's anything that I absolutely need to download beforehand.

I also had one more question, if I've got Office 2007 installed will I be able to reinstall it from my original CDs, using my original license key?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

JosephWongKS posted:

Cheat Engine has a "speedhack" that slows down individual processes.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Dendra posted:

I'm finally upgrading to Windows 7 and since I'll need to do a clean install, I was just wondering if there's anything that I absolutely need to download beforehand.

I also had one more question, if I've got Office 2007 installed will I be able to reinstall it from my original CDs, using my original license key?

Make sure you have drivers for all your installed hardware, especially if going 64-bit. Older stuff, such as scanners, may be a problem for 64-bit Win7.

You'll be able to reinstall Office 2007 with the original license key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

change my name posted:

It's only a 120gb though.
Still, if your drive isn't getting ready in time, it can't hurt to try the hotfix. All that it will do is make Windows wait longer after you try to wake it up from sleep.

And if I were you, I'd also start backing up data on that drive. If the problem only started recently, I'd suspect that the drive is on its way out.