Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Joey Walnuts posted:

These are rules to live by. Especially #4. #6 is also very true.
The trick for me is to mitigate the nervousness inherent with being a goalie. Once you get to be at least decent at the position, then you start to get the madness. Its all about mental state. Do whatever you have to do to not think about the bad and focus on what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Vote we make this the intro video for the next OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QV5x9y_TRQ

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
The UPS man just made my day, shiny new Hackva is in my paws and it smells so new I have a headache. This mask is less than a week old, on initial inspection the bag is a nice fleece, the sweatband is comfy and the fit is pretty snug around my jaw. I will have to shave some foam out to accomodate my Charlie Brown like head, as with my other masks. Beyond that the only complaint I have is typical of almost every Hackva owner: the finish could be just a smidge better, some rough edges, and the occasional paint bubble hold this back from being flawless. It wont matter because I will probably sand down the rough edges and am contemplating getting it painted.

Next up: New C/A

Any suggestions? I play a game based on angles with a narrow butterfly. Mobility would be nice but I have a gut that also needs protection. Currently playing with a RBK PS II 6k, I have yet to get any stingers in it but I would prefer to have a backup unit. I am considering picking up a second one for continuity sake but would field opinions on other units. Price isn't really an issue so any model could be considered.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Space Cadet posted:

The UPS man just made my day, shiny new Hackva is in my paws and it smells so new I have a headache. This mask is less than a week old, on initial inspection the bag is a nice fleece, the sweatband is comfy and the fit is pretty snug around my jaw. I will have to shave some foam out to accomodate my Charlie Brown like head, as with my other masks. Beyond that the only complaint I have is typical of almost every Hackva owner: the finish could be just a smidge better, some rough edges, and the occasional paint bubble hold this back from being flawless. It wont matter because I will probably sand down the rough edges and am contemplating getting it painted.

Any suggestions? I play a game based on angles with a narrow butterfly. Mobility would be nice but I have a gut that also needs protection. Currently playing with a RBK PS II 6k, I have yet to get any stingers in it but I would prefer to have a backup unit. I am considering picking up a second one for continuity sake but would field opinions on other units. Price isn't really an issue so any model could be considered.
I have the X-Pulse Pro, that I've felt very good in, mobility wise. I caught a few stingers up on the topsides of my shoulders, but I've tightened things up and it hasn't been a problem yet. Haven't had any gut issues, though. Also, I don't know if this is a feature of every C/A ever, but anything that hits it pretty much dies and falls between my thigh boards and the thigh rise on my pads. Very nice.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Space Cadet posted:

Same here my Hackva came in also!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

What a loving awful game in goal against an awful team. I literally spend the first 6 minutes of the 1st period doing nothing, and of course their first shot is a breakaway that I stop but ends up a penalty shot because he got tripped up.

Manage to stop the pk even though he really should've scored and thought "Hey maybe this'll be my night"

I shouldn't have jinxed myself because after that I was awful. Let in a 5-hole squeaker from the point, and then stupidly let a guy crash towards the net and go backhand forehand to slide it into an open net without trying to poke it away. I really need to remember to do a poke-check when they're trying to dive-bomb the net.

Their last goal was so loving weird that it made perfect sense it went in. My dman didn't clear the puck very well and it went to one of their shittier players about 6 feet away. I see it coming and get down into a butterfly and attempt to put my stick down on the ice to re-direct it to the corners.

I re-directed it to the corner all right, the back corner of the loving net that is :ughh:

Now we're not sure if we're actually going to make it into the playoffs or not

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

real_scud posted:

What a loving awful game in goal against an awful team. I literally spend the first 6 minutes of the 1st period doing nothing, and of course their first shot is a breakaway that I stop but ends up a penalty shot because he got tripped up.

Manage to stop the pk even though he really should've scored and thought "Hey maybe this'll be my night"

I shouldn't have jinxed myself because after that I was awful. Let in a 5-hole squeaker from the point, and then stupidly let a guy crash towards the net and go backhand forehand to slide it into an open net without trying to poke it away. I really need to remember to do a poke-check when they're trying to dive-bomb the net.

Their last goal was so loving weird that it made perfect sense it went in. My dman didn't clear the puck very well and it went to one of their shittier players about 6 feet away. I see it coming and get down into a butterfly and attempt to put my stick down on the ice to re-direct it to the corners.

I re-directed it to the corner all right, the back corner of the loving net that is :ughh:

Now we're not sure if we're actually going to make it into the playoffs or not
6 feet? Shoulda Hasek'd him. I keep meaning to do that, but every time a good opportunity, I can't stop my instinct from doing what it does.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

So I signed up for my USA hockey insurance so I can play at this league in Central Park where goalies are allowed to play free. I'm excited even if I am going to play in the lowest division!

Hey, I play there too! It'll be my third season, playing outdoors is great and its a pretty laid back league.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Finally played goalie on ice for the first time since I was a kid today. It was awesome :3:

Backside pushes are going to be my biggest sticking point but I'm sure I'll figure them out eventually. This video was super helpful in showing me what I was doing wrong today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w93a32vS5E

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

gigabitnokie posted:

This video was super helpful in showing me what I was doing wrong today:
Watching this video I think I've just realized I've been doing the tightness of my pads all wrong. Does everyone else have the majority of their pads this loose throughout the entire backside? Is the only one that should be really tight the one that loops under your skate?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

Watching this video I think I've just realized I've been doing the tightness of my pads all wrong. Does everyone else have the majority of their pads this loose throughout the entire backside? Is the only one that should be really tight the one that loops under your skate?

You really only want the ankle strap and possibly the boot strap to be relatively tight. You also want the velcro strap around your knee to be tight and everything else should be as loose as you are comfortable with.

I finally got back out on the ice today. I got to the rink early and did some extra stretching and I made sure to wear my knee brace. My knee was pretty much pain free, I had a little bit of soreness when I was doing knee stretches, but nothing too bad. I also made sure to play it safe and not do anything too crazy. My plan is to wait about a week before I play again and I'll need to continue to be cautious and give myself adequate time to rest after that.

I actually played pretty decent for a while, my focus slipped and I got sloppy in my last two shifts, but I still played better than I thought I would.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 5, 2010

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

You really only want the ankle strap and possibly the boot strap to be relatively tight. You also want the velcro strap around your knee to be tight and everything else should be as loose as you are comfortable with.

I finally got back out on the ice today. I got to the rink early and did some extra stretching and I made sure to wear my knee brace. My knee was pretty much pain free, I had a little bit of soreness when I was doing knee stretches, but nothing too bad. I also made sure to play it safe and not do anything too crazy. My plan is to wait about a week before I play again and I'll need to continue to be cautious and give myself adequate time to rest after that.

I actually played pretty decent for a while, my focus slipped and I got sloppy in my last two shifts, but I still played better than I thought I would.

Dude, it was brutal today. The entire NAU hockey team decided to show up and make us look silly. I will say that they've got an incredible goalie. That guy was making some ridiculous saves.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Dude, it was brutal today. The entire NAU hockey team decided to show up and make us look silly. I will say that they've got an incredible goalie. That guy was making some ridiculous saves.

That would explain why the other two goalies had matching pads and one of the goalies wore a "Jacks" jersey. I was so focused on returning to the ice today that I didn't connect the dots. It was definitely a high level skate today and everything makes a lot more sense now.

As for the two other goalies today, the guy in the yellow jersey was very athletic and actually played a Brodeur style. It was strange how natural 2-pad stacks were for him. The goalie in the Jacks jersey was an insanely good stick handler and had really good focus on tracking the puck.

Today definitely makes a lot more sense now. I'm surprised that I didn't connect the dots earlier, but I was so preoccupied with returning to the ice that I didn't notice anything beyond it be a high level skate and that the guy in the blue jersey was a really good defensemen.

Edit: I did take like 5 or 6 shots off of my mask and dangler today. The guy in the Leafs jersey actually apologized to me for hitting me in the mask so many times. I told him that I knew it wasn't intentional, so it wasn't a big deal.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 5, 2010

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008
Has anyone ever repalmed a blocker before? I have a few blockers that I'd like to repalm, and was wondering if any replacement would work (I'm not too picky on exact fit). I see a few CCM palms on GoalieMonkey on clearance for $5 each.
I have the following blockers:
Bauer Reactor (deteriorated palm)
Louisville TPS (deteriorated palm)
Itech 7.8 primary blocker I use, hate it because of how bad it smells from the previous owner. Tried a lot of boiling water but it still reeks)

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gruven posted:

Has anyone ever repalmed a blocker before? I have a few blockers that I'd like to repalm, and was wondering if any replacement would work (I'm not too picky on exact fit). I see a few CCM palms on GoalieMonkey on clearance for $5 each.
I have the following blockers:
Bauer Reactor (deteriorated palm)
Louisville TPS (deteriorated palm)
Itech 7.8 primary blocker I use, hate it because of how bad it smells from the previous owner. Tried a lot of boiling water but it still reeks)

Boiling water? I figured you would lysol the poo poo out of it to kill the bacteria causing the smell.

I just got my dangler. The instructions that came with it only show how to do it with a certified ask. Where do I tie the side straps on a cateye mask? Do I just put it through the ear holes?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Surfing Turtle posted:

Do I just put it through the ear holes?

That's what I do. Some people use the corner of their cage too, but I like mine back a little more. Really, wherever's comfortable while still covering your neck.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Saw this on another forum. Those pads crack me up.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Joey Walnuts posted:

Saw this on another forum. Those pads crack me up.

LOL what the hell, is he like wearing house pads because their goalie didn't show up?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Maybe he REALLY liked Felix Potvin?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Only thing missing from my game tonight was the Benny Hill soundtrack. I was laughably bad. Short side shoulder EVERY time.

Worst part was I was so angry with myself that I took and smashed my stick against the boards like some big baby. I'm not normally such a douche but I have no idea why I was so off my game. Incredibly frustrating.

:ohdear:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Tomorrow is day 2 on ice for me, I'm so excited :3:

I'm going to (try to) focus on keeping my chest high and getting comfortable with backside pushes. There are so many more movements in ice compared to roller, gah.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

What a loving awful night. It's like the universe had it in for me tonight cause I got beat by the worst team in our league thanks to some ringers they picked up.

Doesn't help that I then got pulled over twice going home from the rink. Just thanks universe for rubbing that poo poo in my face.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

real_scud posted:

What a loving awful night. It's like the universe had it in for me tonight cause I got beat by the worst team in our league thanks to some ringers they picked up.

Doesn't help that I then got pulled over twice going home from the rink. Just thanks universe for rubbing that poo poo in my face.

Sheesh what did you get pulled over for?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Surfing Turtle posted:

Sheesh what did you get pulled over for?
First time was for an illegal u-turn on a deserted intersection at 12:30am cause the gas station was out of gas.

2nd time was for taking a right on red when the cop thought a sign was lit that said no right on red, but I claimed it said 'Yield to Peds' and he believe me and let me off [I did/do honestly think that's what it said when I turned]

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Hey, I play there too! It'll be my third season, playing outdoors is great and its a pretty laid back league.

Hey I got a question. For the registration it asks to pay but the homepage says goalies pay free. No one has gotten back to me from the rink yet and I don't want to get charged money unnecessarily.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hey I got a question. For the registration it asks to pay but the homepage says goalies pay free. No one has gotten back to me from the rink yet and I don't want to get charged money unnecessarily.

Ahaha yeah, both years I ended up just paying it in order to register and then have it refunded later. They still haven't fixed it, and I don't know why. I called them both times and got conflicting answers about how you go about it...its kind of silly but I forgive them because hey, free hockey and free equipment storage, how can I complain?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Ahaha yeah, both years I ended up just paying it in order to register and then have it refunded later. They still haven't fixed it, and I don't know why. I called them both times and got conflicting answers about how you go about it...its kind of silly but I forgive them because hey, free hockey and free equipment storage, how can I complain?

How long does it take to get it refunded?

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Whats the best place (most reliable, no hassle) for someone in the US to find used equipment (or maybe new, if its not too pricey) online? My leg pads are Heatons that I started wearing as a freshman in high school and I'm turning 27 soon. They're beat to poo poo and more than a generation behind in good pad design, so I need to get something in good shape, but not too crazy because hell I'm just playing beer league.

edit:

Surfing Turtle posted:

How long does it take to get it refunded?

If I remember correctly I saw the refund on my card within a week after I called them. I haven't registered for this season yet so I'm not sure but I think there might be a spot on the form where you can fill in that you're a goalie and MAYBE they wont charge you, I'd try to put it in the spot where you state your team's name if you have one (I think there's a spot for that).

MANIFEST DESTINY fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 9, 2010

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Whats the best place (most reliable, no hassle) for someone in the US to find used equipment (or maybe new, if its not too pricey) online? My leg pads are Heatons that I started wearing as a freshman in high school and I'm turning 27 soon. They're beat to poo poo and more than a generation behind in good pad design, so I need to get something in good shape, but not too crazy because hell I'm just playing beer league.

edit:

If I remember correctly I saw the refund on my card within a week after I called them. I haven't registered for this season yet so I'm not sure but I think there might be a spot on the form where you can fill in that you're a goalie and MAYBE they wont charge you, I'd try to put it in the spot where you state your team's name if you have one (I think there's a spot for that).

They haven't put this on there yet that's why I am wondering. I really don't need a charge on my card for no reason lol.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Yeah I'm not going to lie, their administration is crap and calling for info has been futile every time I've had to do so for various reasons. It always worked out in the end but its a poorly run machine, especially when the rink isn't actually open for a month yet (there's probably just no one there).

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Yeah I'm not going to lie, their administration is crap and calling for info has been futile every time I've had to do so for various reasons. It always worked out in the end but its a poorly run machine, especially when the rink isn't actually open for a month yet (there's probably just no one there).

Yea I am still waiting for a response to my email. I will probably try to give them a call later today.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Can anyone recommend a low-level chest protector, similar to an Itech 4.8? I'm going to be subbing in a women's rec league again this year and I found my Vaughn C/A to be a little too much. My goal here is comfort over protection.
I guess also, if anyone has a line on an Itech 4.8 large, I'd love to have one of those again.

EDIT: Honestly, my goal is to make myself smaller to give them more to shoot at. My goal isn't to be some kind of superstar there. I want everyone to have fun and, being a bigger goalie, I already feel kind of silly wearing my Vaughn.

nahanahs fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 9, 2010

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

nahanahs posted:

Can anyone recommend a low-level chest protector, similar to an Itech 4.8? I'm going to be subbing in a women's rec league again this year and I found my Vaughn C/A to be a little too much. My goal here is comfort over protection.
I guess also, if anyone has a line on an Itech 4.8 large, I'd love to have one of those again.

EDIT: Honestly, my goal is to make myself smaller to give them more to shoot at. My goal isn't to be some kind of superstar there. I want everyone to have fun and, being a bigger goalie, I already feel kind of silly wearing my Vaughn.

I am using a Tour 590 and it is pretty light.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Look for an older McKenney C/A. I have the 125 I think and it's basically the lightest and most mobile thing I've ever worn. I'm not sure how popular they are so they might be hard to track down.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

nahanahs posted:

I use this Itech...

http://goaliemonkey.com/itech-goalie-chestprotector-reflex9pro-sr.html

It's pretty small compared to others. Easy as hell to move around in though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Puts my prep to shame:

- Do last minute hockey laundry
- Turn off PS3 and go play goal

:shobon:

I finally got smart and put my recumbent bike in front of the TV while playing xbox.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Well this should be interesting. Going to do a trial run of a goalie lesson by the guy who runs the shop I've been getting my gear at, and is also an ex-NHL goalie. It's a trial because right next to his shop is a synthetic surface facility that another guy runs to do lessons/practice facility for players.

He warned me that it's going to be hard because you don't glide at all, but frankly I think that'll be somewhat good because I can at least get a damned good workout while I'm hopefully improving.

Which good god do I hope I get better cause lately I've been just awful.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Got to get two pickup sessions today. First one at noon...I was the only goalie. Then I drove across town and once again, I'm the only goalie. What the crap, Arizona goalies? And now I'm exhausted. I shall nap.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Got to get two pickup sessions today. First one at noon...I was the only goalie. Then I drove across town and once again, I'm the only goalie. What the crap, Arizona goalies? And now I'm exhausted. I shall nap.

Which rinks were you at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

real_scud posted:

Well this should be interesting. Going to do a trial run of a goalie lesson by the guy who runs the shop I've been getting my gear at, and is also an ex-NHL goalie. It's a trial because right next to his shop is a synthetic surface facility that another guy runs to do lessons/practice facility for players.

He warned me that it's going to be hard because you don't glide at all, but frankly I think that'll be somewhat good because I can at least get a damned good workout while I'm hopefully improving.

Which good god do I hope I get better cause lately I've been just awful.
Make sure there's A/C. Since they don't have to keep it cool, sometimes they don't. Underneath that goalie gear, you will get real, real warm, real, real fast.

• Locked thread