Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zenzirouj posted:

Do they think kids like games way more if they get to blow on their DS and have stuff happen or are they just trying to justify having a mic there or what?

I can see kids getting a kick out of it, but not those our age. That said, I doubt it's an 'insistence' of Nintendo's. The game has windmills, so it's pretty much begging to be blown on.

edit: HEY. I just realized something. Here I am, with a greenhouse stuck on Spring mode, and I'm about to enter Winter without any ability to grow crops for a season. Is there anybody who is in the Spring right now who could get on Multiplayer with me and sell me seeds? I'd also REALLY like to get my hands on some wheat seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

If all else fails, the winter bazaar has some seeds of different seasons and you can just plant asparagus and potatoes all winter like I am. Multiplayer is a pretty awesome idea though, holy poo poo.

I have the same request as they do if anyone has spare time. :shobon:

tudabee fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 6, 2010

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Spruced up the OP so it's closer to megathread quality but not quite yet.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So can you buy grass seeds and grow fodder? Is it something that just pops up randomly during the bazaar?

I couldn't get my game to stop freezing, so I've restarted as a guy. I think I'm going to follow the rest of you and romance Freya. I'm even stocking up on butterflies to give her! :3:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

So can you buy grass seeds and grow fodder? Is it something that just pops up randomly during the bazaar?

I couldn't get my game to stop freezing, so I've restarted as a guy. I think I'm going to follow the rest of you and romance Freya. I'm even stocking up on butterflies to give her! :3:

You can MAKE grass seeds by combining fodder and fertilizer in the grinding windmill. I don't know what they're used for or if they regrow on their own, because I only sold them like a chump. (I was short on money, ok?)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
To make grass seeds you combine fodder and fertilizer in the grinding windmill.

While on the subject of windmills, does anybody know why there are a few windmill recipes at the bottom of every list that are just question marks? When I look at the master list of recipes in my house I can see them, but they're not options when I'm actually at the windmill. Hopefully when I actually have the items used in those recipes they'll work again, but I'd like to know now if it's a glitch.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can MAKE grass seeds by combining fodder and fertilizer in the grinding windmill. I don't know what they're used for or if they regrow on their own, because I only sold them like a chump. (I was short on money, ok?)

Ah. Good to know. I was waiting for it to show up at the bazaar and then buy some animals, but I guess I don't have to worry about that! :downs:

I know the game's still new, but has anyone made a heart guide for the girls yet? All of the ones I can find are boys-only.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

To make grass seeds you combine fodder and fertilizer in the grinding windmill.

While on the subject of windmills, does anybody know why there are a few windmill recipes at the bottom of every list that are just question marks? When I look at the master list of recipes in my house I can see them, but they're not options when I'm actually at the windmill. Hopefully when I actually have the items used in those recipes they'll work again, but I'd like to know now if it's a glitch.

You need a purple (?) wonderful to make higher quality recipes in the windmill. One of the stereotype brothers starts selling them when the bazaar is at 75%

Edit: Speaking of which, did you know that their sprites used to be worse?

:gonk:

tudabee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 6, 2010

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Don't worry about fodder too much. You can just shove your animals outside most days and let them eat on their own. Even when it's raining, fodder is only 70g (chicken feed is 90g and you can't make it, but at least it doesn't go bad). The long-term benefit of animals waaay overshadows any costs of feeding them. If anything, the biggest hassle is getting them in/out until you have pets to do it for you. Plus, I'm pretty sure you could just not feed them at all for a day and make up for the stress the next day with chat and a rub.

Does anybody else use the bell to get animals to like you more? I have no way of confirming it, but when I use the bell they get a heart bubble once they get close to me. The bell isn't all that useful otherwise, since they pretty much have to be on-screen to hear you and they won't walk very far anyway.

endolithic posted:

You need a purple (?) wonderful to make higher quality recipes in the windmill. One of the stereotype brothers starts selling them when the bazaar is at 75%
Ah, good to know. Was wondering what that last brother was going to do.

endolithic posted:

jesus

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 6, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A question about pet training, does repeated throws of the bell or bone actually do anything? Or do they only get 'experience' the first time when you see the heart bubble?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It seems like you can do as much training as you want. There might be a hard cap at some point, but I've gotten level up animations after several hearts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

It seems like you can do as much training as you want. There might be a hard cap at some point, but I've gotten level up animations after several hearts.

I've only ever seen one heart a day for throwing the bone/bell, though. Are you saying I should be seeing multiple?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeah, I've only seen a heart on the first throw.

I actually don't event train my dogs. I have three, and between them they take care of my four cows, so I'm content for now.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I see a heart every fifth throw. I got my dog on winter 5, I spent most of a few days on throwing the bone over and over, and it's now at training level 5 on spring 2.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Just keep chucking the bone over and over. 5 throws per heart sounds about right; dunno how many hearts per level. It probably changes. I considered getting a ton of dogs, but that'd be expensive and would require me to buy food more often. As it is, I'd much rather have one skilled dog that I only have to re-feed every 4 days or so. Training is pretty easy.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Anyone here with multiple dogs? If so, how do you train them? What with one maybe getting the bone more than the other..

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

Anyone here with multiple dogs? If so, how do you train them? What with one maybe getting the bone more than the other..

I would just pick one up, carry it with me to the kitchen, and keep it busy by throwing the bone over and over again.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I'd be all over a multiplayer adventure, but I'm a little fuzzy on how it works. I skipped the tutorial because I don't have any friends with a DS. Does it work over wifi?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

rear end Crackers! posted:

I'd be all over a multiplayer adventure, but I'm a little fuzzy on how it works. I skipped the tutorial because I don't have any friends with a DS. Does it work over wifi?

Yup. Just gotta have friends codes like every other nintendo ever.

Speaking of which, do we have a FC exchange set up somewhere for Grand Bazaar?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I've been a big fan of HM games for a long time, but havent played one since the Wii Rune Factory (which I hated, mostly because it ended up being really grindy). Whats the current 'best' Harvest Moon game kickin around? I havent kept up with releases at all, but I do have a DS and Wii.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Phuzzy posted:

Yup. Just gotta have friends codes like every other nintendo ever.

Speaking of which, do we have a FC exchange set up somewhere for Grand Bazaar?

Ah. The last nintendo I had before the DS was an original Gameboy, so I had no idea how it worked... :blush:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Ah. The last nintendo I had before the DS was an original Gameboy, so I had no idea how it worked... :blush:

You have a friend code, and I have a friend code. We trade each other's codes, put them in our games, and now we can play.

It is a disappointing system.

So! Who can get me Spring seeds or Wheat seeds? I'll pay!

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I just started Spring year 2, so we could trade, though you'll have to wait for the Wheat seeds, I just had a bazaar.

Also where do I find my friend code? I feel so dumb :(

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

I just started Spring year 2, so we could trade, though you'll have to wait for the Wheat seeds, I just had a bazaar.

Also where do I find my friend code? I feel so dumb :(

When you start up Grand Bazaar, there are two things related to connecting, the Multiplayer button and the Ninendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup. If you haven't connected to wifi with your DS before, choose the Connection Setup. If you have, skip the next paragraph.

On the next screen tap the big blue button. Then choose one of the three connection slots. If you have wifi in your home, you can select "search for an access point" and look for your connection. Select it and enter your WEP key, then it will start a connection test. If it's successful, yay! If not, or you don't have wifi, maybe ask for help here or in the DS thread.

Anyway, if you've already done that, go back to the opening screen and select multiplayer. Select your save. After this, I believe you select Nintendo WFC. It will calibrate or whatever your game and the DS and give you a friend code. Now the multiplayer screen should have the friend roster available. When you select friend roster, on your top screen you'll see the your friend code, which you'll give to other people, and on the bottom are a bunch of slots for you to put other people's friends codes.

I hope that makes sense. Beyond that I have no idea as I haven't done multiplayer with Bazaar before. It'll be an adventure for all of us! :haw:

Is this thread a good place for friend code stuff or should we make a thread in private servers or something? I want wheat too.

EDIT: VV Works for me. FC: 3438 8197 6190

tudabee fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 7, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Eh, let's just do it here.

FRIEND CODE: 0647 1065 8577

Revol fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 7, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Meliv posted:

Was playing Grand Bazaar, my first HM in a long while. Make 15k at the bazaar, buy a shitload of cabbage seeds, water then for a week, seasons changes, lose all my crops

DS is turned off. My soul is broken

I really need to start a new game

Exact thing happened to me in the Great Cabbage Disaster of Summer 01, I whined about it a couple of pages back. I ended up restarting too. Not as a boy though, because the options for marriage kinda suck and Freya reminds me far too much of my cousin.

A question about pet training, does repeated throws of the bell or bone actually do anything? Or do they only get 'experience' the first time when you see the heart bubble?

Nobody actually seemed sure of the answer here, with arguments and poo poo, so here's how it is for kitties (I don't have doggies).

(e: apparently I don't know either :saddowns: )

Throw the bell. Kitty gets a heart pretty quickly, which is purely for affection boosting. You may notice that even after hurling your cat daily for a month it still hates you. This is because its affection boosts are spread out over picking up, stethoscope, and this drat bell. So now it's got a love-you heart, that's great, but no skill. The way to get its skill up is to wait until the kitty gets tired of the bell. This can take a LONG TIME. It also doesn't count if the cat accidentally throws the bell into another room. You will grow to hate the bell.

So when it stops playing and leaves the bell, it gets a little music note. This is its skill-up notice. I don't know how many times it takes to get a star, it is at least 4 and maybe 5. Getting the music note takes so loving long per bell-play session you might not want to do it more than once a day, but if you do, then apparently (I haven't tried this) you need to either exit the room with the bell or put it back into your backpack to make it 'reset' before you throw it for the cat again.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 7, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That seems contrary to my experiences. I've gotten the cat to level up with an affection (heart symbol) boost, and the music notes play over the cat every time I put the bell in my bag or the bell gets knocked into another room. Does it get skill boosts every time there's the note, or only when there's a note after it's done playing forever? Also this level up was done after I put the bell in my bag when I took it from the cat forcefully, not after it got bored of it.

And another thing, it got the level up animation, and can carry two chickens a day now, but it's training level is still at 0 stars, but its friendship is one heart now. What gives?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That seems contrary to my experiences. I've gotten the cat to level up with an affection (heart symbol) boost, and the music notes play over the cat every time I put the bell in my bag or the bell gets knocked into another room. Does it get skill boosts every time there's the note, or only when there's a note after it's done playing forever? Also this level up was done after I put the bell in my bag when I took it from the cat forcefully, not after it got bored of it.

That's weird, even when I experimented I never got this to happen.

quote:

And another thing, it got the level up animation, and can carry two chickens a day now, but it's training level is still at 0 stars, but its friendship is one heart now. What gives?

I... don't know.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

endolithic posted:

I hope that makes sense. Beyond that I have no idea as I haven't done multiplayer with Bazaar before. It'll be an adventure for all of us! :haw:

Is this thread a good place for friend code stuff or should we make a thread in private servers or something? I want wheat too.

EDIT: VV Works for me. FC: 3438 8197 6190

Hooray I figured it out! FC: 5285 6713 0691

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

quote:

Corrupt data was detected.
An attempt was made to
restore it from a backup.

...gently caress.

Fake Edit: Oh wait, it seems I've still got all my stuff. Cool.

I ...just... finished the first spring. I'll quickly end the day and share my code. After feeding my chickens and cow.

FC: 1334 3014 1396
Real edit, swapped two digits - fixed.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Okay, here's mine: 4297 8273 0948

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Okay, since nobody else is at the moment, I'll host my farm for tonight, mostly unattended. We'll see a bit of what happens while I play some Dead Space.

Friend Code above, if you want the proper stupid six name limit for my charname and farmname, it's "Leo" for the character and "Ijyb" for the farm. Otherwise, whatever you want to put in there works fine. It's weird thinking about visiting rear end on the Crack farm, but I shouldn't take it too seriously.

For crying out loud, six letter names? Small gripe, but I'd expect better from a commercial game. Six letters, when 8 is just too much to ask for.

On a less pointlessly bitch note, I'll be putting my coins up for sale. Gold, Silver, and Bronze. I've got 14 small coins too, but I'll move them a bit later.

Edit: On secont thought, I have to "Start game" when people have joined.

I'll start it within thirty minutes if two people have showed up, otherwise I'll start within the hour if one person is there. Fantastic system...

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 7, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

LordSloth posted:

For crying out loud, six letter names? Small gripe, but I'd expect better from a commercial game. Six letters, when 8 is just too much to ask for.

I think in all of my many years of playing videogames I've come across one that allowed up to ten letters.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Hey Revol, if you're still in Fall and have time to buy extra seeds, I just bought a fall sun at one of my bazaars. I could put it in my bazaar items if you're interested.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

In the future, I think I'll need to *ugh* schedule bazaar openings and items I up. I'll be starting the bazaar in exactly five minutes, I have two people there. If someone wants me to reopen after that, let me know when and such.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

LordSloth posted:

It's weird thinking about visiting rear end on the Crack farm, but I shouldn't take it too seriously.

This seriously made my day. I laughed much longer than I should have. And I'm waiting to visit your farm! I guess I don't have anything to sell though, according to the game system. Eh, we'll just have to see how it goes.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Well multiplayer is different. No animals, no windmills, no shopping outside the bazaar. Having to end a day with stuff in your pack to sell is kind of inconvenient, too. Nice playing with you two for a few minutes, though. :shobon:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

How to sell (assuming everything else is set up)
1). Click Multiplayer
2). Choose a game to load
3). Hit Nintendo WFC

"Choose whether to host a game at your farm or go vist a friend's.
4). Choose Select Bazaar Items" NOW. You can't change once you joined.
5). You can only display items from your Bag, not from Storage. These items WILL disappear when sold.
6). When you're finished selecting items, you get to choose between selling at normal or half price.

It appears that hosting a game actually uses up a full day, so beware! You can actually farm and fish while this is going on, but animals temporarily cease to exist. You cannot use another person's windmill, it seems. The very last page of the manual lists several other possibilities. Like new dialogue - that they could have used so I didn't hear the same thing every day for a month now.

I worry about how it mixes with in-game events, so I'm going to check my calendar before I host.

The loss of animal produce can mean a loss unless you get to sell something someone else wants or buy something you need on the very first day of the month, instead of waiting for a bazaar, so you can get the most growth out of it.

Because it uses up a day (and also because all the people have to start at the same time), I'll host or join only on request. But I'll be happy to do it again.

They say farming is a ot more productive- i wonder if it does some boost to grow speed or quality.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 7, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I tend to sign into different access points, will my friend code change each time?

This seriously made my day. I laughed much longer than I should have.

It's not as funny, but my new game manages to fit 'Animal' into the 6-character farm name and my sign says 4 LEGS GOOD, 2 LEGS BETTER. Don't you loving forget it, cow.

(chickens we cool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Only tangentially related, but in Valkyria Chronicles 2 you can name your squad, but you're also only given 6 characters. That really pissed me off, especially after I complained about this game's limit here, so I just wrote in "Dongs" as my squad name and was done with it. I later found out the game has a large set of unlockable adjective prefixes for your squad name and noun suffixes. 30 seconds later and I'm now the head of the "Black Dongs Gang".

I'm a loving child.

• Locked thread