Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Revol posted:

I just buy from the store. Seems to me, making your own fertilizer is only viable when you want to breed the perfect five star crop in one square.

Do any of you guys do the make your own seed thing? I just got the last windmill unlocked, but I hate the idea of having to basically carry the seeds around til I can use them again. I imagine that is another factor in trying to grow perfect crops, but I don't know how much it affects what they sell for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

SapphireC posted:

Do any of you guys do the make your own seed thing? I just got the last windmill unlocked, but I hate the idea of having to basically carry the seeds around til I can use them again. I imagine that is another factor in trying to grow perfect crops, but I don't know how much it affects what they sell for.

I've started to, though the ones I store are only reharvesting crops. You get two bags of seeds per crop item you put in, and in a few cases the seeds sell for more at the bazaar than a raw crop, so if you don't have any good recipes it's worth it sometimes.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

:siren: Who wants wheat seeds? :siren:

I rushed my way to spring and got an assload of wheat seeds at the bazaar. If anyone doesn't have access to wheat due to being early in the game or in the middle of winter and wants some, speak up and I'll try hosting some multiplayer later.

My FC again, for those that don't have it: 3438 8197 6190

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Since nobody answered me from last page...

FredMSloniker posted:

So my grandma is finally (finally!) losing interest in Animal Crossing, and she's heard tell about this 'Harvest Moon' game. Of the Wii titles, which would you recommend? GameRankings suggests Animal Parade, for what that's worth.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Did they VC HM64 or HMSNES? Those are always good bets, if not on the older side. Especially HM64 in regards to Animal Crossing, I always get a hankering to play it when I fire up AC.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

endolithic posted:

:siren: Who wants wheat seeds? :siren:

Eh, I've given up on wheat. It only seems worthwhile if you're a completest and want to fill out your cookbook. I don't think anything you cook can sell for high enough to make up for the fact that the plots you're using on wheat are used for fifty loving days.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

FredMSloniker posted:

I played Tree of Tranquility, and I would recommend Animal Parade for the upgrades it offers. Is there any way she would play the handheld versions? I think the methodical nature of Animal Crossing is more akin to the DS games than the Wii. The best game for pure repetitive grind is Friends of Mineral Town though, so much stuff to collect...

Oh, I think I read somewhere that, for some crazy reason, Harvest Moon 64 is really hard to bring to VC, and it may never happen :(

Shirec fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 10, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FredMSloniker posted:

Your grandma plays videogames that's awesome :3:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

I'd suggest Animal Parade, since it just seems more polished. It fixed pretty much all of the issues I had with Tree of Tranquility.

Revol posted:

Eh, I've given up on wheat. It only seems worthwhile if you're a completest and want to fill out your cookbook. I don't think anything you cook can sell for high enough to make up for the fact that the plots you're using on wheat are used for fifty loving days.
Fair enough. I do cook a lot since it seems to bring in more money, so even if nobody's interested I'll make use of it. I need flour anyway to make delicious stew to woo Amir.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Corridor posted:

So in every picture I've seen, the girl's been shown with the crops and the boy with the animals. Is this scripted or can you pick both gender and occupation freely? Is the occupation you pick tied to the village you live in? Also can you go hang out in the village you don't live in if you don't feel like talking to the dweebs you live with?

And is that white haired dude a marriage option, because he looks even gayer than the guy in full makeup.

It's not scripted. You can pick your gender and which town you'd like to live in (which determines your main occupation). You can have a few crops at Bluebell and a few animals at Konohana, though, so it's not totally one or the other. You can also move to the other village from the 23rd-30th of the month. You can go to the other village whenever you like. It's just a case of walking over.

Yes, you can marry Michael (Mikhail?). But that fucker hates every gift I give him so screw him! :argh:

Another little thing I like about TV is that you can see the heart level of all villagers just by talking to them. No more checking your asset book or whatever!

edit: how long does it take wheat to sprout in GB? I've had a bunch planted for over a month but it's still seed.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

If you're fine with a Gamecube game then Magical Melody is pretty good. The game borrows mechanics and the art style (sort of) from Animal Crossing, so it would probably be the easiest Harvest Moon game to transition to from Animal Crossing. There is a Wii port of the game but I heard it was pretty bad.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Zettace posted:

If you're fine with a Gamecube game then Magical Melody is pretty good.

Would you say better than Animal Parade? She's my gramma; I don't want to disappoint.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

FredMSloniker posted:

Would you say better than Animal Parade? She's my gramma; I don't want to disappoint.

Go with Animal Parade, then. Magical Melody is good, but I think Animal Parade is a more solid game with more intuitive controls.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The White Dragon posted:

Did they VC HM64 or HMSNES?
The original game is on the Virtual Console, iirc.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

CAT TRAINING :argh:

I threw the bell around for a while, just picking it up and putting it in my pack and then throwing it again. Eventually a tiny LVL UP text appeared above my cat. I checked its stat board and it's gained... a heart? :raise: I did it some more and when it next got the LVL UP sign, it had gained a star. So now it has one heart and one star and it takes care of two chickens. I do not understand how this works.
e: make that three chickens. Well that was fast.

Oh and my 4-heart cow won the Cow Festival on its first try in my first year despite the other cows having better stats. :3: It promptly gained another 3 hearts, netted me a Mithril, and pushed Angelo up into purple heart. I attribute it all to my inspirational signboard. Animal Farm prevails!

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 11, 2010

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I thought hearts were supposed to represent how much a cat liked you and the stars its current skill level.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I thought hearts were supposed to represent how much a cat liked you and the stars its current skill level.

That's what I thought too :psyduck:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At 1 star it should be taking care of 3 chickens, actually. At least mine did. You only get a star for every two training levels gained. You just coincidentally got a friendship level at or near the same time as you got a training level.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I left my cat with the bell while I went to the new years festival and was forced to go to bed at the end of the night. My bell disappeared and that rear end in a top hat Felix hasn't stocked it for the past two bazaars. Hurry up you gently caress :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey I just hoiked some adamantite out of a river rock. Is it super rare or something? Like, should I be saving it or can I sell it off?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Corridor posted:

Hey I just hoiked some adamantite out of a river rock. Is it super rare or something? Like, should I be saving it or can I sell it off?

All I get in the river is tin cans. :saddowns:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well, sell it if you really need the money/have no free space, but you'll eventually need it to upgrade tools. I think it's used for the watering can, which is really helpful. Recipe should be wood + copper + adamantite; if you have the tool windmill unlocked you can check to make sure. But, if you have no interest in upgrading, you could sell it off and buy one later from Lloyd, so it won't permanently gently caress you over or anything.

If it were me I'd just hoard everything until you can make jewelry/upgrade tools. I sold a single 3-star pink brooch for about 150,000, though I'm pretty sure it's the most valuable jewelry item.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Zenzirouj posted:

Well, sell it if you really need the money/have no free space, but you'll eventually need it to upgrade tools. I think it's used for the watering can, which is really helpful. Recipe should be wood + copper + adamantite; if you have the tool windmill unlocked you can check to make sure. But, if you have no interest in upgrading, you could sell it off and buy one later from Lloyd, so it won't permanently gently caress you over or anything.

Isn't the recipe for the watering can stone lumber + watering can + orichalcum? I should know; I've upgraded mine like 4 times. I think adamantite is only used for jewellery.

Has anyone else seen Dirk's yellow heart event? The whole time I was :psyduck: because he is seriously about 10 years old.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Man, getting the pot and frying pan is like buying a money printer. I can turn all my corn, tomatoes and pumpkins (which already kinda sell for a lot) into single-ingredient dishes that sell for fuckloads. I can probably do the same with my eggs but I keep forgetting to check. The last two bazaars I've made like 60 000G. I'm still in my first Summer. :)

Are there any cooking or windmill recipes to avoid, cashwise? Someone said boiled eggs make the egg worth less somehow, and puddings (egg + milk) also seem to end up worth less than the egg and the milk sold seperately.

Oh yeah yesterday morning ingame my cow suddenly produced a huge gold milk after giving small milks forever (it is at 8 hearts). It was kinda funny because it was the same day I bought a new baby cow, so it was like OHFUCK I'M BEING REPLACED BETTER WORK HARDER. But the next day it was back to small milks. Apparently the shock of seeing another cow made it poo poo out a gold milk somehow. What gives, cow?

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Isn't the recipe for the watering can stone lumber + watering can + orichalcum? I should know; I've upgraded mine like 4 times. I think adamantite is only used for jewellery.

I thought this too but wanted to check...

quote:

Has anyone else seen Dirk's yellow heart event? The whole time I was :psyduck: because he is seriously about 10 years old.
Yes he is. Still at purple for me though and I'm making no effort to get him higher. What's the heart event?

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
Speaking of the golden milks, is there any way to make your cow produce them more often?

Corridor posted:

Yes he is. Still at purple for me though and I'm making no effort to get him higher. What's the heart event?

I can't remember exactly, but he has a fight with his brother and runs outside and has a kiddy tantrum about not being taken seriously or something.

Somehow Angelo is at blue heart level in my game even though I hardly ever talk to him, and never give him gifts. I guess it might be because he gets points from being at festivals, but there aren't that many festivals. Do villagers in GB not lose friendship points if you don't talk to them for a while? I remember villagers in IOH getting pissed off and refusing gifts if I'd ignored them for a few days, haha

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Corridor posted:

Are there any cooking or windmill recipes to avoid, cashwise? Someone said boiled eggs make the egg worth less somehow, and puddings (egg + milk) also seem to end up worth less than the egg and the milk sold seperately.

Cheese isn't worth as much as milk, which I was disappointed to learn!

Also, I sort of... decided to make 10 herb perfumes. That takes about 1000 hours I guess. :aaaaa:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Fishylungs posted:

Cheese isn't worth as much as milk, which I was disappointed to learn!

Herb Cheese (milk and chamomile) sells for more. Yoghurt does too (milk and mint) but not much.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Do villagers in GB not lose friendship points if you don't talk to them for a while? I remember villagers in IOH getting pissed off and refusing gifts if I'd ignored them for a few days, haha

I dunno I think they do. I have about half the villagers at 2 hearts (or purple heart for bachelors) because I see them every day and just A button them in passing. I never give them poo poo so I guess the bulk of the FP is from festivals and the chatting is just upkeep. The ones who stay inside all day or work late (blue-haired man, hotel couple) have no hearts and refuse gifts because I never see them ever. Even if you're just talking to Angelo every now and then, I guess it's enough to not lose much.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Speaking of cows, a little something I noticed while working with Bessie, my first and only cow so far. It's best to bring in your cows after five P.M. Certainly, if you check the barn board for the angry red can of hunger, they'll be fed earlier than that. However, after five P.M. they don't walk back out to the field. That is, if you push them near the barn, they'll walk back inside by their self, instead of run back out to pasture like they do earlier. Meaning I don't have to do that annoying dance-shove any-more!

I'm happy to report I've figured out how to catch most of the summer bugs and all the spring ones- it wasn't till the 30th of the summer that I caught my first summer bug, though. I'm proud of how long it took me to figure out something as simple as catching a firefly. The dragonfly DID escape me, but I figured out the other types.

Now what else? Oh yes. It isn't worth buying oil to make mayonnaise. At least with low quality eggs. I'm curious whether having four stars on an egg compensates for the cost of the oil, or whether it still comes up about even. I've bough up the oil to test.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 12, 2010

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Does anybody know what effect, if any, better recipe variations have? Is it a price/star difference or just improved stamina?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

LordSloth posted:

However, after five P.M. they don't walk back out to the field. That is, if you push them near the barn, they'll walk back inside by their self, instead of run back out to pasture like they do earlier. Meaning I don't have to do that annoying dance-shove any-more!

You mean you've been doing that all this time? :psyduck:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It never even occurred to me that I might want to bring my cows in earlier than 5. You actually sat and waited for the eating icon to go away, then tried to shove them back in before noon? I always just hurled them out the door in the morning and went to do other poo poo all day.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Yes, but I haven't been doing it that much- it's the first year and I got my one cow somewhere near the start of summer - just started fall now. And whenever it rains, that one fodder provided days of happy cow.

I shoved them in earlier because I wasn't sure when they fell asleep. For a while, I wasn't sure exactly when the animals fell asleep, so I started moving them inside before I did the day's second watering of my crops. I got annoyed at it though, so I started paying more attention.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zenzirouj posted:

It never even occurred to me that I might want to bring my cows in earlier than 5. You actually sat and waited for the eating icon to go away, then tried to shove them back in before noon? I always just hurled them out the door in the morning and went to do other poo poo all day.

But I would always finish everything I wanted to do far before 5pm.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

But I would always finish everything I wanted to do far before 5pm.

So would I, but then I found other poo poo to do. I fished more and started training my pets more.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I wish there was a way to tell the next day's weather. That way I could keep my cows/sheep/chickens outside if needed.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
They actually get stressed if they're left outside overnight. It's about half the bar, so even if they fall asleep outside it's better to get the little bit of stress for waking them up to shove them inside; even though the angry cow noise is terrifying. And I rarely feel finished by 5, especially since I'll need to rewater the crops around 4.

A weather report would be useful, but pretty much the only time I've really wanted it is for making sure it won't rain on Friday, which has happened once. My animals went hungry that day. Speaking of, does fodder/feed take care of 2 animals per stack? I've always gotten one per animal, but it seems like there's always a good bit left over.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

They actually get stressed if they're left outside overnight. It's about half the bar, so even if they fall asleep outside it's better to get the little bit of stress for waking them up to shove them inside; even though the angry cow noise is terrifying. And I rarely feel finished by 5, especially since I'll need to rewater the crops around 4.

A weather report would be useful, but pretty much the only time I've really wanted it is for making sure it won't rain on Friday, which has happened once. My animals went hungry that day. Speaking of, does fodder/feed take care of 2 animals per stack? I've always gotten one per animal, but it seems like there's always a good bit left over.

I think it's either 4 or 5 animals per feed/fodder.

And that friday thing is why I always have at least 10 of each in my storage.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The other reason I pushed them in early?

I didn't always want to water the crops a second time. It doesn't appear Grand Bazaar has a time limit like the very first Harvest Moon. It's frustratingly pointless to collect ingredients or go fishing when you don't have the storage or recipes/cookware/windmills to do anything useful with them. I've started looking for ways to cut short my days until I'm able to make my own seeds.

EDIT: 5 per fodder. One cow can survive off of one bag for a few days. If you have ten chickens, five will stop being hungry with your first bag, and you need to throw a second bag in after they've eaten that first one all up.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is it me or do animals get stressed if you leave them inside all of the time? It hasn't happened to my cow/sheep, but my chicken does seem to get stressed for no reason even if I keep it fed and pick it up every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Do you have the stethoscope? It's the only way to talk to them and produces some hilarious mental images. And drat, I'm a chump for buying all that animal food.

• Locked thread