Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

HidingFromGoro posted:

Perhaps even more disturbingly, there is a movement to implement the kind of isolation and physical restraint used in these programs within schools- a practice which has provably resulted in the deaths of children as young as age 7.

Wait, what? Are you talking about, like, school programs for disturbed teens or are you talking using prison tactics in the public school system? On non-criminal, children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

nm posted:

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that these are first offenders, likely with low-level drug offenses. Or that they self-select those most likely to succeed (and fail those unlikely to succeed).

Honestly that sounds right, time spent in prison easily ruins a person's life and makes them more criminal.

I very much expect if the law was changed so if you stole you'd get your hand broken and then set free that it'd have a lower repeat offender rate than prison, NOT because of the brutal punishment teaching anyone anything, but because prison time is deadly poison and it takes a lot to make something worse than it psychologically.

I wouldn't be surprised if just getting arrested and released the repeat rate was something like 20% and being inhuman to a person for 6 weeks raises it to 23% and 6 years to 32% more than anything, I wouldn't be shocked if their statistic was exactly right but for the wrong reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mew force shoelace posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if just getting arrested and released the repeat rate was something like 20% and being inhuman to a person for 6 weeks raises it to 23% and 6 years to 32% more than anything, I wouldn't be shocked if their statistic was exactly right but for the wrong reason.
That could be true.
However, I think that felony conviction on your record is just as damaging as prison time in re-integrating.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

nm posted:

That could be true.
However, I think that felony conviction on your record is just as damaging as prison time in re-integrating.

That wouldn't make sense. The felony conviction would be there either way so it would be exactly equally damaging in that respect but then prison also does thing like torture people, given them huge gaps in employment, integrate them into gangs, ect.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

That wouldn't make sense. The felony conviction would be there either way so it would be exactly equally damaging in that respect but then prison also does thing like torture people, given them huge gaps in employment, integrate them into gangs, ect.

Yeah, but where Prison puts you in a "prison mindset", the felony charge makes you unable to get out of the prison mindset, thus bringing you back to prison.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

And it doesn't just make it harder for them to pursue legal careers, it also makes it easier for them to be criminals. (prison being the best place to get criminal contacts and credibility)

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

21stCentury posted:

Yeah, but where Prison puts you in a "prison mindset", the felony charge makes you unable to get out of the prison mindset, thus bringing you back to prison.

Huh? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I am saying that even a terrible program will have better results than a prison stay because prison is ruinous.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Huh? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? I am saying that even a terrible program will have better results than a prison stay because prison is ruinous.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm saying that prison is ruinous and worsened by the terrible programs already in place.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

And it doesn't just make it harder for them to pursue legal careers, it also makes it easier for them to be criminals. (prison being the best place to get criminal contacts and credibility)
This is the big one. I remember an ask/tell thread with a ~20 year old goon who'd spent a year and a half in jail in Texas for felony vandalism (apparently as a result of writing on his high school bathroom's wall) and couldn't even get a job making fries because of it. Simply put, felons are going to have a much harder time doing the poo poo that we expect of them - getting a job, apartment, and generally not committing crimes any more because of that felony on the ol' record.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lonelywurm posted:

This is the big one. I remember an ask/tell thread with a ~20 year old goon who'd spent a year and a half in jail in Texas for felony vandalism (apparently as a result of writing on his high school bathroom's wall) and couldn't even get a job making fries because of it. Simply put, felons are going to have a much harder time doing the poo poo that we expect of them - getting a job, apartment, and generally not committing crimes any more because of that felony on the ol' record.

That's pretty much how the system is designed. It's kind of :tinfoil: to say so but look at how the incentives are structured. A whole lot of people get paid a whole lot of money the more prisoners there are. These are the same people who are in charge of the prison environment.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to determine that this will result in harsh initial sentences to get people into the system, and almost impossible to surmount obstacles to getting out of it.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rutibex posted:

That's pretty much how the system is designed. It's kind of :tinfoil: to say so but look at how the incentives are structured. A whole lot of people get paid a whole lot of money the more prisoners there are. These are the same people who are in charge of the prison environment.

It isn't something from a history book either when people were saying "this is our new way to deny blacks rights" after civil rights. Like, it's not a conspiracy, it was stuff the people doing it were saying on record.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

lonelywurm posted:

Just an FYI, that was all fake. The guy made it up. Doesn't make the prison stuff any less terrible though.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

Just an FYI, that was all fake. The guy made it up. Doesn't make the prison stuff any less terrible though.
Even if that example was fake, felony vandalism isn't.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

21stCentury posted:

Wait, what? Are you talking about, like, school programs for disturbed teens or are you talking using prison tactics in the public school system? On non-criminal, children?

153 Reps voted for physical restraint & solitary for schoolchildren

Roll call

"It’s hard to decide which is more shocking: the fact that 153 members of the United States Congress would see fit to vote against such a bill, or the fact that it was needed in the first place."

This 7-year old special-needs girl in Wisconsin was pinned to the floor and killed because she was blowing bubbles in her milk. (PDF)

http://solitarywatch.wordpress.com/...ry-confinement/

quote]
On Wednesday afternoon, the United States House of Representatives passed H.R. 4247, the https://preventing (now being called the Keeping All Students Safe Act), by a vote of 262-153. In the final vote count, 238 Democrats and just 24 Republicans voted for the bill, while 8 Democrats and 145 Republicans voted against it. (Check out the full roll call here.)

H.R. 4247 was introduced in December by Education and Labor Committee chair George Miller (D-CA) and Committee member Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) and bill passed out of committee with bipartisan support. Their goal, Miller and Rodgers wrote in a joint op-ed for CNN, was simply to “outlaw child abuse in schools.” The bill’s stated purposes include the following:

quote:

(1) prevent and reduce the use of physical restraint and seclusion in schools;

(2) ensure the safety of all students and school personnel in schools and promote a positive school culture and climate;

(3) protect students from—

(A) physical or mental abuse;

(B) aversive behavioral interventions that compromise health and safety; and

(C) any physical restraint or seclusion imposed solely for purposes of discipline or convenience;

(4) ensure that physical restraint and seclusion are imposed in school only when a student’s behavior poses an imminent danger of physical injury to the student, school personnel, or others….

It’s hard to decide which is more shocking: the fact that 153 members of the United States Congress would see fit to vote against such a bill, or the fact that it was needed in the first place.

In fact, the bill’s findings state that “physical restraint and seclusion have resulted in physical injury, psychological trauma, and death to children in public and private schools.” The House Education and Labor Committee conducted hearings on the subject last spring, after the Government Accountability Office published a report that began with the following statement:

quote:

Although GAO could not determine whether allegations were widespread, GAO did find hundreds of cases of alleged abuse and death related to the use of these methods on school children during the past two decades. Examples of these cases include a 7 year old purportedly dying after being held face down for hours by school staff, 5 year olds allegedly being tied to chairs with bungee cords and duct tape by their teacher and suffering broken arms and bloody noses, and a 13 year old reportedly hanging himself in a seclusion room after prolonged confinement.

Special education students were especially vulnerable to this kind of treatment, the report found:

quote:

For example, teachers restrained a 4 year old with cerebral palsy in a device that resembled a miniature electric chair because she was reportedly being “uncooperative.”….Teachers confined [a 9 year old with learning disabilities] to a small, dirty room 75 times over the course of 6 months for offenses such as whistling, slouching, and hand waving….In another case, a residential day school implemented a behavior plan, without parental consent, that included confining an 11-year-old autistic child to his room for extended periods of time, restricting his food, and using physical restraints. The child was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder as a result of this treatment.

A report published earlier last year by the National Disability Rights Network (NDRN) provided additional examples, including one in which a 7-year-old Wisconsin girl, who was diagnosed with an emotional disturbance and ADHD, died of suffocation after several adult staff pinned her to the floor in a “prone restraint” because she was blowing bubbles in her milk.

A handful of earlier accounts also exposed the widespread use in schools of “seclusion rooms” or “time-out rooms”–basically, solitary confinement cells for difficult-to-control children. Mary Hallowell wrote about one such case in her 2009 book Forgotten Rooms. According to an article [in] the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

quote:

Education researcher Mary Hollowell spent months chronicling an alternative high school in rural Georgia before she discovered the awful secret that continues to haunt her today. Walking with the principal down a hall, Hollowell heard a loud pounding. She followed the principal into a room and then through a connecting doorway that led to a solitary confinement cell double bolted from the outside.

“The cell was dark inside and had a small, square window,” she said. “It was the kind of set-up you saw in a mental institution, not a school.” Inside the cell was a boy Hollowell recognized; she had tutored him in reading and even had artwork from him. “I felt like I had been punched in the stomach when I realized what I was seeing,” she says. “The principal’s comment to me was that most people didn’t know this room was there.”

As the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported: “Seclusion rooms are allowed in Georgia public schools provided they are big enough for children to lie down, have good visibility and have locks that spring open in case of an emergency such as a fire. In 2004, Jonathan King, 13, hanged himself in one such room, a stark, 8-foot-by-8-foot ‘timeout’ room in a Gainesville public school.” Jonathan was also a special ed student, who had ADHD and depression. He had talked about suicide to the school psychologist, but she concluded it was “an escape or attention-getting technique,” according to the Gainesville Times. A civil rights lawsuit brought by his parents was thrown out of federal court.

These are the sorts of abuses that H.R. 4247 seeks to address. And the pressing need for federal legislation is clear from the GAO report: ”GAO found no federal laws restricting the use of seclusion and restraints in public and private schools and widely divergent laws at the state level,” it said. In addition, “GAO could not find a single Web site, federal agency, or other entity that collects information on the use of these methods or the extent of their alleged abuse.”

Yet 153 members of Congress chose to vote against a law that would expose and limit what can in some cases only be described as the torture of schoolchildren.

Perhaps not so shocking after all: In a country that condones torture not only in its military detention centers, but in its state and federal prisons, immigration jails, and juvenile detention centers, it was only a matter of time before it trickled down, even into our schools.
[/quote]

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

HidingFromGoro posted:

E: never mind

Edit 2, for content: here's my take on the prison shows such as Lockup

1) Corrections is an inherently sedentary field (with infrequent, short-duration periods of activity, and then only for certain jobs); and- more so than police which is saying something- there's a sharp divide within the correctional community between weightlifters and non-weightlifters. This is further subdivided between juice vs no juice and bodybuilding vs powerlifting.

1a) Weightlifting (specifically bodybuilding, but also powerlifting) is a large and historic part of prison culture; and as the inmates go, so go the guards. (The osmosis works the other way too, which is why introducing harsher tactics or meaner guards increases rather than reduces inmate-on-inmate violence).
\

An excuse to post this video. Awesome. These guys kick serious rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhF4Kpg6soc

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I'm relieved that the bill got passed. I was under the impression it was a bill to introduce solitary confinement in schools...

But i don't know what's worse, that so many people were against making those illegal, or that they were used at all in schools... Are Americans really in the mindset that schools are prisons for kids first and educational second?

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

21stCentury posted:

I'm relieved that the bill got passed. I was under the impression it was a bill to introduce solitary confinement in schools...

But i don't know what's worse, that so many people were against making those illegal, or that they were used at all in schools... Are Americans really in the mindset that schools are prisons for kids first and educational second?

I hope no one misinterprets me as supporting the sort of things that have been done because it is raw and pure evil.

But some of this stuff exists legitimately in special ed. There are autistic kids that do repeated behavior and one day will just get it in their head to scratch their eyes over and over no matter what and are not high functioning enough to get rationalized or even punished away from it, and the only thing that can be done is to physically keep them from it for the period until they move to another behavior.

Clearly this stuff is misused, and it certainly is misused in special ed as well, but special ed can be a weird little universe sometimes, with some really absurdly extreme cases. A lot of children are getting education now where in the past they would have just been set to institutions and kept "chemically restrained" with drugs that made them lay in bed all day. This stuff has to exist for them, and has to be used properly, it's not a punishment and shouldn't ever be used as such. But yeah, special ed teachers do really learn how to restrain children, they need to do that. They need a thing to do when a kid with down syndrome starts slamming the edge of a metal ruler into another kid's face.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

That isn't what I'm saying.
I'm saying that having a felony on your record alone makes it extremely difficult to "go legit." Hard to get a job beyond menial labor.
This is just as damaging as the effects as prison. Obviously these two team up for a double whammy of being hosed.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

nm posted:

This is just as damaging as the effects as prison. Obviously these two team up for a double whammy of being hosed.

I guess I agree, it's just weird to phrase it like that, it's just as damaging plus their is more bad effects can be rephrased as "more damaging" without implying either is not damaging.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I guess I agree, it's just weird to phrase it like that, it's just as damaging plus their is more bad effects can be rephrased as "more damaging" without implying either is not damaging.
I'm a lawyer, I don't write things clearly. :)

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Clearly this stuff is misused, and it certainly is misused in special ed as well, but special ed can be a weird little universe sometimes, with some really absurdly extreme cases. A lot of children are getting education now where in the past they would have just been set to institutions and kept "chemically restrained" with drugs that made them lay in bed all day. This stuff has to exist for them, and has to be used properly, it's not a punishment and shouldn't ever be used as such. But yeah, special ed teachers do really learn how to restrain children, they need to do that. They need a thing to do when a kid with down syndrome starts slamming the edge of a metal ruler into another kid's face.

The bill is meant to "ensure that physical restraint and seclusion are imposed in school only when a student’s behavior poses an imminent danger of physical injury to the student, school personnel, or others..."

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

21stCentury posted:

Don't be too glad about it passing. It's dead in the Senate.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I hope no one misinterprets me as supporting the sort of things that have been done because it is raw and pure evil.

But some of this stuff exists legitimately in special ed. There are autistic kids that do repeated behavior and one day will just get it in their head to scratch their eyes over and over no matter what and are not high functioning enough to get rationalized or even punished away from it, and the only thing that can be done is to physically keep them from it for the period until they move to another behavior.

Yeah, I work in special ed and our most severe cases are something of a ticking liability time bomb. We got a kid who flips out and bites people when he does get what he wants but he's also double jointed so the physical restraint that we're allowed to use doesn't work. What he wants often includes digging in the garbage and eating what he finds or groping the crotches of female gen ed students he passes by on the way to lunch. His parents frequently also neglect him but see fit to collect his government checks, which is a big part of the problem. So either we're going to get sued for hurting this kid or sued by the parents of one of the gen ed students he sexually assaults.

We used to have another kid who would flip out and attack other kids without provokation and when he couldn't that would bang his head against the wall. His parents refused to let him be medicated because of theatans despite paying other people to take care of him since their house was not set up to have an autistic child that breaks and throws things. He was non-verbal would also spend all day screaming like "AHH! AHHH! AHH! EEEE! EEEE! EEE!" for hours at a time.

I also worked in a class where there was a girl who was completely non-verbal and would just dart lightning fast and snatch whatever she wanted, like other people's lunch and flip out when she didn't get it. Sometimes she would take her pants off and rub one off publically.

Another guy did the same thing except he also liked to knock over containers and watch the contents spill out. He got his whole school banned from the science museum when he dumped out two enormous fish tanks. He was an escape artist, really good and getting out of the holds we're allowed to use on him. His parents were really sue happy on top of it, convinced he could do calculus in a gen ed class despite being non-verbal and not able to tell numbers apart, so no school wanted the liability of working with him.

I will say I do like working in this business but we certainly have no shortage of "war stories."

FIRE CURES BIGOTS fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 13, 2010

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Fire posted:

Right but you're able to handle these kids without killing them.

There's a difference between those war stories and what this bill is trying to prevent- and you know it. It even has an exemption to allow (sometimes fatal) restraint measures to prevent injury, and you could drive a bus through that provision. Look at what cops can do if they're "concerned for officer safety" or "thought he was dangerous," or all the rest.

I'm not seeing much more reasons for the 153 reps voting how they did unless they either actually want this kind of abuse to continue (unlikely) or they knew it would pass anyway and used it to score some cheap points for "states rights" or some such, gaining "political capital" or whatever at the expense of dead children. Unacceptable in either case.

Edit-

I'll bring it back to prison:

Even legit cops and veteran prison staff will tell you that if you're trying to control or contain a physically fit adult man who probably knows how to handle himself, and he dies, then you're doing it wrong.

So it follows that if you are trying to contain a handicapped 7 year old girl, and she dies, then you're doing it wrong- way wrong. Personally I think if you are even capable of getting it that wrong, then you ought not to be anywhere near disabled children, but that's just me. Further, if it takes federal laws or video cameras or federal oversight (or whatever else) to make sure you get it right; then it's worth it at twice the price.

HidingFromGoro fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 13, 2010

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.

Seclusion, 'restraint' as either bondage and restraint, or pain-compliance holds (basically UFC bullshit against kids, if you want a visual) is used as a means of control, discipline and easy-way-out by a plethora of fly by night profit seeking institutions who call themselves therapeutic boarding schools, residential treatment, emotional growth, alternative, or just a boarding or 'alternative' or charter school.

Putting an end to particularly violent abuse is something we need to have done back when "Straight Incorporated" was pioneering the concept - thank's Mel Sembler! - but now it's become very ingrained in the entire concept of 'tough love'. Not to mention that very horrific psychological/mental/emotional/pick something abuse is par of the course as well.

I helped make an article on a now defunct website called askquestions.org. It's a very good read, and I'll just go ahead and post it here:

quote:

Safe Choices for Troubled Teens
Residential treatment centers for troubled teens are plagued by allegations of abuse and ineffectiveness. But do anguished parents have an alternative?
By Anthony Meza-Wilson and Christy Harrison

Posted August 12, 2004 (( I helped them make this article way back when ))

Helen Taylor didn’t feel like she had much choice. A registered nurse and mother of five, Taylor was caring for a sick parent and studying for a law degree when her seventeen-year-old daughter Grace* was raped at a party and fell into a deep depression. (Grace is not the daughter’s real name). Taylor, who lives in Thousand Oaks, California, knew she couldn’t handle Grace’s needs by herself. She took Grace to a therapist, who recognized the overwhelming nature of Taylor’s other responsibilities and suggested that Taylor place her daughter in residential treatment. Mother and daughter both agreed that a full-time care facility was a good idea, and Grace, who had always been a well-adjusted, bright girl, was willing to do whatever the therapist suggested in order to get better. Taylor asked a neighbor for advice, and after a little research and a tour of the facility, decided on a treatment center in Utah called Provo Canyon School. When Grace entered in December, 2003, the school promised therapy mixed with outdoor sports, dances, and other recreational activities.

Less than a month later, says Taylor, Grace came home covered in bruises, gaunt and traumatized by her experiences. On one of the worst nights, says Taylor, [] staff forcibly injected Grace with the antipsychotic drug Haldol for supposed insubordination. Grace’s only crime, she told Taylor, was telling staff she needed to use the bathroom. Grace awoke to a kick the next morning and found herself lying on a hallway floor, her vision blurred and her facial muscles severely contorted. Worse still, Taylor says that Grace, a rape victim and voluntary patient, was forced to submit to strip searches on several occasions and was sexually assaulted by Provo Canyon staff—only compounding Grace’s emotional despair. Provo Canyon did not return phone calls seeking comment.

It's a Big Business

Despite horror stories like this one, there is big business in residential treatment centers like Provo Canyon: there were 43,365 admissions to RTCs in 1997, and 27,642 patients under care in RTCs at that time, according to a 2000 report by the United States Surgeon General's office.

Private residential treatment centers can cost as much as a year in college; they’re mostly the province of well-off parents. However, some insurance companies will cover treatment at schools accredited by Joint Commission for Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), an independent, nonprofit organization that inspects and accredits nearly 16,000 health care facilities in the United States. But JCAHO’s standards are geared mainly toward monitoring surgical and pharmacological procedures And so RTCs, which are more like boarding schools than traditional hospitals, can become accredited under standards that have little to do with the daily programs and activities practiced in them. Many RTCs are not accredited at all.

Some residential treatment programs have amassed a disturbing number of complaints from kids and parents who, like the Taylors, allege that the schools physically and mentally abuse their students. Recent articles in the New York Times and the UK Guardian document abuses at treatment centers abroad including Tranquility Bay School in Jamaica. Controversy has arisen in Tranquility Bay amid the death of a student, parent custody battles, and allegations of unlawful incarceration. Lawsuits have been brought against the Worldwide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools (WWASPS), an affiliated group of private residential treatment centers and schools that manages Tranquility Bay. And there are many complaints about other RTCs on websites run by watchdog groups, parents, and survivors.

Most RTCs use a religious "tough love" approach to treatment, doling out points for “appropriate behavior” and imposing consequences—ranging from the loss of phone privileges to solitary confinement and physical punishments, according to survivors.

Lax Regulators

In recent years, government agencies in other countries have begun to crack down on these American-owned programs; authorities in Costa Rica, Mexico and the Czech Republic have shut down at least four WWASPS programs thus far. But in the United States, regulators have been less assertive. In 2003, Congressman George Miller of California asked the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) to investigate a growing number of allegations against WWASPS, but to date the DOJ has taken no action. In Utah, State Office of Licensing Director Ken Stettler proposed legislation that would have established stricter licensing requirements for teen treatment centers, but it didn’t fly with lawmakers. As Stettler told the Salt Lake Tribune in April 2004, many Utah legislators felt that his office was “empire building” when it proposed instituting licenses for the paid “escort services” that private treatment centers use to transport teens to their facilities, even though there are many complaints against them.

After her daughter’s ordeal, Helen Taylor mounted a letter-writing campaign to inform Stettler and other state and federal legislators of Grace’s experiences at Provo Canyon, but to date she has only received a couple of terse replies. She feels that these legislators are taking reports of child abuse in their state very lightly and that the police are clearly acting in league with abusive schools. Local police routinely come out to help Provo Canyon deal with attempted escapes, for example, but have not investigated the children’s charges of abuse. “This is political corruption at its worst,” Taylor said.

Parents like Taylor commonly assume that there is more government oversight than actually exists within the treatment industry. On the contrary, kids incarcerated in a juvenile prison may have more protection from abuse than kids voluntarily enrolled in private treatment centers. The DOJ routinely shuts down juvenile prisons when abuse occurs, but it has yet to investigate the private RTCs. The industry is not well regulated, most facilities operate without accreditation or a license, and some take unfair advantage of distressed parents. Some families have experienced problems with the enrollment contracts, discovering too late that they signed away too much authority or waived too many of their legal rights regarding disputes with the schools.

Parent Watchdog Groups

Survivors and parents have formed watchdog groups and mounted education campaigns to warn other families about the risks. Some are listed below. Other parents are pressing lawmakers to step in: Helen Taylor has developed an email list for updates on her attempts to contact legislators, while another person launched Fornits, a web forum with an extensive teen treatment section allowing survivors and parents to air their frustrations, tell their stories, and strategize the legal and criminal investigation of abusive facilities. Many people now in their forties post messages at Fornits documenting the long-term emotional devastation that results from time they spent in RTCs as teenagers.

Even parents whose children were well served at residential programs are wary of the teen treatment industry because of the big money involved. Linnea Soderlund, a parent who sent her teenage son to two different residential programs primarily for what she called “out-of-control behavior,” says that parents should proceed with extreme caution when selecting a residential program. “Consultants and programs are happy to take thousands of dollars from you in exchange for the hope of saving your kid,” Soderlund wrote me in an email. She says, “Stay in close touch if you place your child in a treatment program,” because parental vigilance is the best protection against abuse.

Soderlund also counsels parents to seek expert diagnosis when determining whether to send a child to residential treatment. “I would urge anyone considering residential treatment to obtain a physical exam and complete psychological evaluation before making any plans for treatment,” she wrote. While she said that the psychological evaluation was a large expense not covered by insurance, she was “immeasurably thankful” that she got one for her daughter. “This is the only way to determine what the issues are and what is at stake,” she wrote.

Karen Stanton, another parent who has enrolled a child in residential treatment and was particularly happy with the results, agrees that it’s crucial to screen both the child and the school. Her son, Peter, was diagnosed with dyslexia at a young age, and she and her husband had tried numerous treatments including therapy, Ritalin, summer programs, and a private school for students with learning disabilities. Nothing worked, she said, until she found an educational consultant who reviewed Peter’s test results, talked to his teachers and therapists, and helped find programs that were tailored to his specific needs. Stanton says that their consultant was “expensive, but totally worth the money.” Stanton added, “We were desperate when we went to her.”

Several parents we spoke with reported using educational consultants with good results, but here again, parents must be careful. Some consultants accept financial rewards for enrolling kids in specific programs, so bias could be a problem. It is important to ask about any commercial ties between your consultant and the schools so that you can evaluate their recommendations accordingly.

Experts are Skeptical

Unfortunately, even if a parent finds a suitable, non-abusive program, the long-lasting results are difficult to predict. Dr. Oscar Bukstein, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine who specializes in children’s psychiatric disorders, says that even when kids make progress in these “tough-love” residential programs, they very often have trouble reincorporating the skills they learn into their home lives. “When kids get back to their original situation, they start to slip back,” he said. “If anything, the center is probably a safe holding place until kids mature out of [their behavior problems].”

Bukstein also says that some parents send their kids to residential treatment too early, without first considering other and potentially better options. He says therapy and community-based intensive treatment centers that provide more than just an hour a week of counseling are good options for overwhelmed parents, and that generally kids don’t need “tough love” to be treated effectively. “You have to model appropriate behavior,” he said, “but intimidation doesn’t model appropriate behavior—being tough and consistent doesn’t entail being mean and abusive.”

Listening to adults who were sent to RTCs as teenagers, you often hear a much harsher judgement of these programs. Said one, "these toughlove programs are not merely ineffective, but often totally devastating to the children and families taken in by their marketing experts." Many adult survivors want the programs shut down completely.

The late Dr. Loren Mosher, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California at San Diego School of Medicine and former Chief of the Center for Studies of Schizophrenia at the National Institutes of Mental Health, agreed that residential centers aren’t effective at training patients to function in their normal environment. “If those programs are not continued after they get back,” he said, “the learning they received is gone within three weeks to six months.” Mosher, who is best known as the founder of Soteria, a revolutionary treatment center for schizophrenics that eschewed medication and placed patients in a shared living situation with non-medical-professionals, said that any effective treatment should involve the whole family. “Anything that doesn’t,” he said, “is probably a waste of time.” He advocated straightforward family counseling, which is widely available and which, he said, usually costs a whole lot less than residential programs.

“I don’t think there’s much out there to tell parents about where you draw the line between normal teenage acting-out and serious behavior problems,” said Barbara Huff, Executive Director of the Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health. While she says there are no easy answers to this question, guidance counselors at the local schools, private therapists, and other professionals can help identify children with behavior problems early on and can also work with families to find appropriate solutions.

And above all, experts agree, parents should avoid giving in to embarrassment or despair that keeps them from seeking appropriate help close to home. “We all fear the stigma that is attached to ‘troubled teens,’” said Dawn Martin-Rugo, a parent who enrolled her daughter in a wilderness program and a therapeutic boarding school. “We want to protect our teen and ourselves from the judgments of others, but it is important to get over this fear as quickly as possible—everyone knows someone who has a child who has “fallen apart.’” Common sense and community support are your best protections against the false promises offered by unscrupulous people who stand to profit from selling you an expensive residential program.

Practical Suggestions

IIf your children or your friends’ children run into trouble, consider these tips from other parents and mental health experts:

Get a ‘reality check’ from school officials, teachers, family, and friends to help assess the seriousness of the child’s behavior problems.
Explore local options first, and look for a therapy program that works with the whole family, not just the teen.
Invest in physical and psychological assessments that will define the child’s problem and point to appropriate remedies.
Hire an educational consultant who works only for the family (and does not receive a commission from schools).
Investigate the schools in person, and also check with the parent watchdog groups (listed below) to avoid the worst offenders.
Ask a lawyer to review enrollment contracts before signing them.
And finally, stay in contact with the child throughout their stay in a residential facility so that you can move them out quickly at the first sign of trouble.

The actual article in the archives has better formatting and a few links, but I wanted to get the gist of this through to D&D.

I should make a more expansive post, or thread, about this subject, but I'm really short of time as of late and wanted to get the general idea out here and let people start discussing it.

I should add that much of the really horrific poo poo from the past is hardly kept secret, but little has ever been done about it. I should add something else, that reading that archive of an article which was on foxnews of all places is not good for your mental health, is probably not work safe, and not a good idea for the faint of heart to try to read.

I don't have a source with me, but even the government and organizations don't exactly know how many kids are in these places - estimates range from 20,000 to 50,000 at a time. Keep in mind that while we're reading about it, going to and from work, and screaming about nonsense, that the majority of american posters here have most likely driven by such places, and we've all done next to nothing about it.

I'll be back in about 2.5 hours, if anyone has any further questions or wants a more expansive post about this let me know. Just do me a favor and don't start immediately going into rationalization mode, spewing bullshit about something you only learned existed when you read this post. I really cannot stand blathering bullshit about how they deserve this poo poo when Goro and everyone he's shown this to loses sleep over it. God knows I have.

mew force shoelace
Dec 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

flux_core posted:

Seclusion, 'restraint' as either bondage and restraint, or pain-compliance holds (basically UFC bullshit against kids, if you want a visual) is used as a means of control, discipline and easy-way-out by a plethora of fly by night profit seeking institutions who call themselves therapeutic boarding schools, residential treatment, emotional growth, alternative, or just a boarding or 'alternative' or charter school

I agree 100%, I really wasn't posting an argument.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

I agree 100%, I really wasn't posting an argument.

I'm kind of trying to orient this thread towards the private for-profit prison industry which makes its money off of scamming parents, social services and mental health providers by commoditizing children and then torturing and brainwashing them for years.

It kind of fits, and I was hoping to stir up discussion, not use it as a brick-bat against you. I'm sorry if you received it that way.

I was also a bit amped up expecting someone to act like a complete Neanderthal about "tuff love" but I guess teenagers being raped, forced to soil themselves and brainwashed while being told it's for their own good scared away everyone from the thread.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flux_core posted:

I'm kind of trying to orient this thread towards the private for-profit prison industry which makes its money off of scamming parents, social services and mental health providers by commoditizing children and then torturing and brainwashing them for years.

It kind of fits, and I was hoping to stir up discussion, not use it as a brick-bat against you. I'm sorry if you received it that way.

I was also a bit amped up expecting someone to act like a complete Neanderthal about "tuff love" but I guess teenagers being raped, forced to soil themselves and brainwashed while being told it's for their own good scared away everyone from the thread.

This isn't GBS and even there that crowd is a lot thinner than the general population. Post this thread on some forum where there aren't a lot of internet people or put this threads content in a youtube video and watch the endless comments of people who refuse to consider what they have seen, if they have even bothered reading saying things like "can't do the time, don't do the crime" or "I was a victim, hang them!"

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HidingFromGoro posted:

Right but you're able to handle these kids without killing them.

There's a difference between those war stories and what this bill is trying to prevent- and you know it. It even has an exemption to allow (sometimes fatal) restraint measures to prevent injury, and you could drive a bus through that provision. Look at what cops can do if they're "concerned for officer safety" or "thought he was dangerous," or all the rest.

I wasn't posting an argument.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I first read about the WWASP facilities in an article about it a couple years ago. I was completely horrified at the idea of putting children in what basically amounts to a jail without going through any legal channels. I was horrified at the thought that someone was actually making money off jailing and mistreating children, and that it was implicitly seen as a good thing in America.

Back then, I wasn't aware of the state of the American Penal System, but i knew it was wrong to profit from it.

The fact that these facilities exists is chilling because it sets a precedent: It's okay to jail non-criminals if you pay money for it.

And yet not only is there an industry, but one that actually thrives off those poor rich people with out-of-control teenagers. Nothing screams "Rich People Problems are most important" more than the existence of the WWASP. An organization you can pay to abduct your children in the night and lock them away for a couple years.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

They masquerade as therapy all the time; they scam well-meaning but low-information (or just high panic) parents regularly and also scam the state, claiming that they're providing real therapy to kids who genuinely need it. They don't just abuse children and call it tuff love as a means of making lovely parents feel like they're the victims and spitting out child-robots.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

flux_core posted:

If that's an area you want to explore I feel the need to mention this jem:

Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13judge.html

quote:

At worst, Hillary Transue thought she might get a stern lecture when she appeared before a judge for building a spoof MySpace page mocking the assistant principal at her high school in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. She was a stellar student who had never been in trouble, and the page stated clearly at the bottom that it was just a joke.

Instead, the judge sentenced her to three months at a juvenile detention center on a charge of harassment.

She was handcuffed and taken away as her stunned parents stood by.

“I felt like I had been thrown into some surreal sort of nightmare,” said Hillary, 17, who was sentenced in 2007. “All I wanted to know was how this could be fair and why the judge would do such a thing.”

The answers became a bit clearer on Thursday as the judge, Mark A. Ciavarella Jr., and a colleague, Michael T. Conahan, appeared in federal court in Scranton, Pa., to plead guilty to wire fraud and income tax fraud for taking more than $2.6 million in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers run by PA Child Care and a sister company, Western PA Child Care.

While prosecutors say that Judge Conahan, 56, secured contracts for the two centers to house juvenile offenders, Judge Ciavarella, 58, was the one who carried out the sentencing to keep the centers filled.

“In my entire career, I’ve never heard of anything remotely approaching this,” said Senior Judge Arthur E. Grim, who was appointed by the State Supreme Court this week to determine what should be done with the estimated 5,000 juveniles who have been sentenced by Judge Ciavarella since the scheme started in 2003. Many of them were first-time offenders and some remain in detention.

The case has shocked Luzerne County, an area in northeastern Pennsylvania that has been battered by a loss of industrial jobs and the closing of most of its anthracite coal mines.

And it raised concerns about whether juveniles should be required to have counsel either before or during their appearances in court and whether juvenile courts should be open to the public or child advocates.

If the court agrees to the plea agreement, both judges will serve 87 months in federal prison and resign from the bench and bar. They are expected to be sentenced in the next several months. Lawyers for both men declined to comment.

Since state law forbids retirement benefits to judges convicted of a felony while in office, the judges would also lose their pensions.

With Judge Conahan serving as president judge in control of the budget and Judge Ciavarella overseeing the juvenile courts, they set the kickback scheme in motion in December 2002, the authorities said.

They shut down the county-run juvenile detention center, arguing that it was in poor condition, the authorities said, and maintained that the county had no choice but to send detained juveniles to the newly built private detention centers.

Prosecutors say the judges tried to conceal the kickbacks as payments to a company they control in Florida.

Though he pleaded guilty to the charges Thursday, Judge Ciavarella has denied sentencing juveniles who did not deserve it or sending them to the detention centers in a quid pro quo with the centers.

But Assistant United States Attorney Gordon A. Zubrod said after the hearing that the government continues to charge a quid pro quo.

“We’re not negotiating that, no,” Mr. Zubrod said. “We’re not backing off.”

No charges have been filed against executives of the detention centers. Prosecutors said the investigation into the case was continuing.

For years, youth advocacy groups complained that Judge Ciavarella was unusually harsh. He sent a quarter of his juvenile defendants to detention centers from 2002 to 2006, compared with a state rate of 1 in 10. He also routinely ignored requests for leniency made by prosecutors and probation officers.

“The juvenile system, by design, is intended to be a less punitive system than the adult system, and yet here were scores of children with very minor infractions having their lives ruined,” said Marsha Levick, a lawyer with the Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center.

“There was a culture of intimidation surrounding this judge and no one was willing to speak up about the sentences he was handing down.”

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

“The juvenile system, by design, is intended to be a less punitive system than the adult system, and yet here were scores of children with very minor infractions having their lives ruined,” said Marsha Levick, a lawyer with the Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center.

Unstated implication: the adult prison system features adults with very minor infractions having their lives ruined and this is OK because we have to punish them.

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

The only thing programs do effectively is make more drones for the corporate world, people who think the military is just structured enough to not make them scared but still like a vacation compared to a program, or think jail is just structured enough to make them not scared but still vacation like compared to a program.

In short, jesus christ we are a third world nation on the inside and I hate how I don't always do a good job at blocking this out.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
  • Prison guards commit suicide far more often than the general population, and even more than double the rate of police officers. And they tend to take people with them:

quote:

On 8/4/09, Essex County, NJ, Corrections Officer Kelley McKenith wounded her boyfriend and then shot and killed her 4-month-old baby before taking her own life.

• dm posted:

NYT story on false convictions
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Eddie Lowery lost 10 years of his life for a crime he did not commit. There was no physical evidence at his trial for rape, but one overwhelming factor put him away: he confessed.

At trial, the jury heard details that prosecutors insisted only the rapist could have known, including the fact that the rapist hit the 75-year-old victim in the head with the handle of a silver table knife he found in the house. DNA evidence would later show that another man committed the crime. But that vindication would come only years after Mr. Lowery had served his sentence and was paroled in 1991.

“I beat myself up a lot” about having confessed, Mr. Lowery said in a recent interview. “I thought I was the only dummy who did that.”

But more than 40 others have given confessions since 1976 that DNA evidence later showed were false, according to records compiled by Brandon L. Garrett, a professor at the University of Virginia School of Law. Experts have long known that some kinds of people — including the mentally impaired, the mentally ill, the young and the easily led — are the likeliest to be induced to confess. There are also people like Mr. Lowery, who says he was just pressed beyond endurance by persistent interrogators.

New research shows how people who were apparently uninvolved in a crime could provide such a detailed account of what occurred, allowing prosecutors to claim that only the defendant could have committed the crime.

An article by Professor Garrett draws on trial transcripts, recorded confessions and other background materials to show how incriminating facts got into those confessions — by police introducing important facts about the case, whether intentionally or unintentionally, during the interrogation.
    http://www.stanfordlawreview.org/system/files/articles/Garrett.pdf
    http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/librarysite/garrett_falseconfess.htm

• Itaro Flagg posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/us/03ohio.html

A little bit of better news after Holly Wood's execution last week.

• MA judge feels 'troubled' by JLWOP for autistic + mentally-ill 16 year old, but upholds the sentence anyway. She could have changed LWOP to straight life, making him eligible for parole as early as age 34, but said she didn't want to act as a "13th juror." There is some hope that the way she worded her (12 page) ruling will open the door for the sentence (and possibly others) to be appealed on Constitutional grounds.

Also the US is the only country in the world that even allows JLWOP in the first place:

HidingFromGoro fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 17, 2010

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

nm posted:

21stCentury posted:

Well, that just depends so much on the individual, in addition to kind of time he did, and where he did that time. Luckily for me I did military time, which is vastly different from Lord of the Flies in state prisons. And when business was booming in 2003, I got a job even after saying "look I just got out of military prison." Then again, I'm white. I even worked my way up into a job with fancy clothes and making bank- one year over $50K (don't hate, that's seriously fat bank in my circles). Later, I'd get jobs that wouldn't bother to do any background checks other than in-state. These days it's a little differnt, times are tough and there's "labor flexibility" so they will spend that money and do a nationwide+federal check (although I always got turned down for my bad credit instead of convictions- but that's another thread I guess). Nowdays I do under-the-table landscaping and demolition work on a day crew- no credit or background checks in this field, although the pay sucks and there's no benefits. And you have to listen to "you, hey you- you speak Mexican right? Tell those Mexicans to do (x)." Whatever.

Anyway, that prison mindset, it's a killer. Whole re-entry programs are designed around getting rid of that. I wasn't even in Lord of the Flies, and still it tripped me up once or twice. Things got out of hand, before reason kicked in and was like "whoa, let's think about this, let's not do this." This was 7 years ago, but still.

For guys who go to state prison, the effect can be profound. Veteran cons, it's no problem, they've been through the wringer many times, in & out, they know the rules. They know the taxpayer doesn't know the rules (and in fact the taxpayer can't and shouldn't even be expected to). It's the first-timers that worry me, especially the younger guys. In prison, the younger first timer has a steep learning curve- especially if he comes in without a lot of upper body. Sink or swim, you know, so they learn it and learn it fast- and pain is such an elegant teacher. It reprograms your brain, that's just real. That's just survival and adaptation that humans are so good at, why we're top of the old food chain, and all that. And it manifests sharply in The World. You're talking about a guy who has spent years having to fight someone for taking the last chocolate milk, or else risk being considered a bitch and suffer severe consequences. What is that guy going to do to the taxpayer who cuts him off in traffic, or shoulders past him in the grocery store. This poo poo might not happen much in Our America (between like residents), but sometimes we go into Your America. It's that "friction" I talk about, when people from different Americas come into contact. And cops, this dude learned the hard way to say to a cop (guard) "man, gently caress you. I didn't do poo poo. What are you going to do, bitch?" because otherwise there are consequences. So what is he going to say to a beat cop and how is that cop going to react?

So prison does have an effect on mindset, it's ludicrous to think it doesn't. Ever had a friend that went off to college, or Iraq, or whatever; and came back just a little bit different than before? It's our greatest strength, the ability to adapt to whatever is thrown at us, that causes the problem.

And that's why I say bring on the boot camps. Yes I know they pick & choose to juke their stats, I know all of that. But the full-on 24/7 mind games they play prevent the "prison mindset" from taking root, and that gives offenders a huge leg up when they get back into their communities- my communities- your communities. They do need to be closely regulated and monitored by 3rd parties to prevent abuse, make no mistake.

Domini Cane
Oct 21, 2002

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

HidingFromGoro posted:

[*]MA judge feels 'troubled' by JLWOP for autistic + mentally-ill 16 year old, but upholds the sentence anyway. She could have changed LWOP to straight life, making him eligible for parole as early as age 34, but said she didn't want to act as a "13th juror." There is some hope that the way she worded her (12 page) ruling will open the door for the sentence (and possibly others) to be appealed on Constitutional grounds.

Also the US is the only country in the world that even allows JLWOP in the first place:

[/list]

The criminal justice system, more than any other establishment in America, pays STARK attention to the principles and ideals of the our countries laws. Judges, prosecutors, and defense attorneys recite SCOTUS cases from memory and honestly do think and argue in constitutional and statutory terms. To us it is not mental masturbation to argue constitutional theory; we live our lives applying it to people's lives.

I've learned in the last two years to no doubt the sincerity of other prosecutors, defense attorneys and the judges who hear my trials. There are exceptions but when we go to a bar or out to eat we cannot put aside the shop talk because it permeates so much of how we live.

When this judge says she doesn't want to be a 13th juror, that resonates with me. We spend so much effort and time getting people to serve on juries and then spend days and days educating them on the rules they have to follow it can be hard to poo poo on their decision once you've placed it in their hands. Is the system imperfect? Yes. But humans are imperfect.

In America we see the level of good and the level of bad in people. Life without parole is a harsh sentence and especially so for juvenile offenders. But the legislatures have decided the potential threat to society outweighs the rights of individual offenders once they have been adjudicated. Blaming that decision on the courts is misapplication of fault. Personally, I've seen juveniles of all stripes and colors: stupid kids all the way to sociopathic monsters. The kids can straighten out. The other kind are so hosed up it is scary to contemplate releasing them.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Domini Cane posted:

When this judge says she doesn't want to be a 13th juror, that resonates with me. We spend so much effort and time getting people to serve on juries and then spend days and days educating them on the rules they have to follow it can be hard to poo poo on their decision once you've placed it in their hands. Is the system imperfect? Yes. But humans are imperfect.

In America we see the level of good and the level of bad in people. Life without parole is a harsh sentence and especially so for juvenile offenders. But the legislatures have decided the potential threat to society outweighs the rights of individual offenders once they have been adjudicated. Blaming that decision on the courts is misapplication of fault. Personally, I've seen juveniles of all stripes and colors: stupid kids all the way to sociopathic monsters. The kids can straighten out. The other kind are so hosed up it is scary to contemplate releasing them.

The judge's inaction resonates with me in a different way. Judges are granted special, almost unique powers of discretion under our rules; and she has specific discretion to mitigate sentences like this. She failed to exercise that discretion. Cop-outs like "I don't want to be the 13th juror" ring as hollow as "I was just following orders."

"But the legislatures have decided the potential threat to society outweighs the rights of individual offenders once they have been adjudicated." is a slightly longer way of saying "I was just following orders." If you've been part of the system any time at all, you know that LWOP law wasn't the product of a rational, deliberative process, it was a misdirected knee-jerk reaction to something bad that happened, coupled with the fact that "get tough on crime" (no matter the cost) will always get you votes.
e.g., What is the risk to society of a person who has 5 grams of crack (and two drug (even simple possession) priors) that justiifes making LWOP the only possible punishment?

If that kid is still a sociopathic monster at 34 (pretty much guaranteed after being raised to adulthood in prison) he won't get paroled. Yes, people do get paroled and commit terrible crimes; but 99%+ don't. That balance of "how many errors on granting parole are acceptable vs. never letting anyone out of prison, ever" is another question that will not get a rational, deliberative hearing in a Legislature.

That is why we give judges lots of money, lots of respect, lots of power, and lots of discretion. So they will use their discretion. If the judge was sure that in the remaining 50-60 years of that 16 year-old's life he could never be fit for release, she should have made that decision and stated her reason. That, too, would be an exercise of her discretion. If you're going to abdicate the discretion that is a judge's raison d'etre and fob off your responsibilites on "the legislature" you're in the wrong job.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Domini Cane posted:

Why is it that other countries seem to do fine with not putting "sociopathic monsters" away for life without parole? Every other first-world country does this, and NONE of them have huge crime waves because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Lyesh posted:

Why is it that other countries seem to do fine with not putting "sociopathic monsters" away for life without parole? Every other first-world country does this, and NONE of them have huge crime waves because of it.

Arguably because the US is unique in being able to create truely sociopathic monsters because of all it´s other problems. I completely agree we need to do away with lifetime sentences, but it needs to come with other things that prevent such situations. Social services, safety nets, narrowed income inequality, etc.

• Locked thread