Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aircraft
Nov 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Jump specials actually take way more stamina than normal watering. I only do them if I'm really pressed for time.

Pressed for time? Except on bazaar days, I'm usually done by midday with half a bar of stamina left, and I just dick around until my fields dry up at night. Out of curiosity, what's your average day like? I have the feeling that I'm missing out on something, because to me it seems like every Harvest Moon game has way too much time per day.

Anyway, is there an easier way to keep track of animals' daily friendship duties other than going back to the blackboard and doing the stethoscope thing to find the animal you're looking for? My R button is starting to sporadically go nonresponsive, and it's starting to get a tad tedious to keep track of all my animals. I'd really like to not have 5 versions of the same product, multiplied by three actual kinds of product, due to different heart levels. I wish my piece of poo poo 0star chicken would just loving die already but my cats keep saving the smug fucker and it's a painful chore to go through the entire flock to find it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Aircraft posted:

Pressed for time? Except on bazaar days, I'm usually done by midday with half a bar of stamina left, and I just dick around until my fields dry up at night. Out of curiosity, what's your average day like? I have the feeling that I'm missing out on something, because to me it seems like every Harvest Moon game has way too much time per day.

I just like to get as much stuff done as possible before Freya leaves for the city, but even then I don't bother with jump watering. On bazaar days I really am pressed for time and want to get as much done as possible before leaving no later than 9:30.

But wasted stamina is wasted stamina, you could be done with a lot more stamina left which would give you a few more jumps in the river to go 'river mining' with.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Corridor posted:

Uh, well you tell me? You were the one that said:

Oh, I see. It's still worth upgrading your watering can because you can water in a line, not just the square in front of you. But jumping and using the can isn't very useful imo.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Corridor posted:

Is there ever a point, maybe after upgrades, where I can water more than one square at a time and have it not be totally pointless?

Because upgrading the watering can was always my first priority in past HMs. Watering squares one by one isn't quite as tedious in GB, but it's still pretty loving tedious since I'm doing it twice every ingame day. And I'm still only using one field for crops at the moment.

Yeah, sometime during fall/summer.

freyahawk posted:

Similarly, the 2nd Windmill should be unlocked after the Cow Festival, either on 16 Summer or 17 Summer.
I think the water can upgrade needs only three ingredients (and quality doesn't matter, get same result): Watering Can + Orichalcum + Material Stone.

The Material Stone requirement means you need to buy a hammer (and sickle) from Felix beforehand, so make sure to buy that currently useless tool from him earlier that month. Orichalcum costs 7800 g, the Sickle 1000, and the Hammer 8000. Bash any old rock for the Material Stone, and toss the ingredients in the 2nd Windmill (described incorrectly ingame as the last windmill) - it'll take a day or so. Best to do it on a rainy day or near the end of the month, and be sure to boost the wind to max levels.

Remember you DON'T have a deadline in this game for foreclosure or anything. It may be best simply to skip animals so you can water once in the morning and sleep the rest of the day away. You invest a lot less personal time unlocking the advanced features that way, and spend less on filthy expensive animals and animal tools. I may actually restart or let my animals go on a starvation diet, but I'm already in fall, so I'm certain it would be a waste of my effort.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 15, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

LordSloth posted:

:words:

Thanks I'm aware that I can upgrade the watering can, I'm asking if I should actually bother, since everyone's been saying the wider spreads use more stamina and still takes the same amount of time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Corridor posted:

Thanks I'm aware that I can upgrade the watering can, I'm asking if I should actually bother, since everyone's been saying the wider spreads use more stamina and still takes the same amount of time.

Seems like you're misunderstanding something. Upgrading your watering can from rank 1 to rank 2 basically just adds in one more square, so you water two squares at once. Rank 3 lets you water 3 squares at once. The other ranks let you water more, but I'm not sure if it's 1:1. These are normal waterings that just cover more ground, they consequentially take up less stamina and less time. This alone makes it very much worth it to upgrade your can.

But for the hoe and watering can, you can do special moves with them if you jump and use them mid-air. I was saying that these special moves aren't usually worth it because they take up so much stamina. They save even more time, but the tradeoff isn't worth it since you usually have nothing but time.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
As an example, right now my watering can waters a 1x6 area. This means I can stand at the north side of any of my plots and water every square to the bottom - letting me water my whole field in 9 "presses".

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ohh I see. Thanks then. :downs:

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
I like throwing a snowball and finding another snowball inside.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I once had a 4-ball chain of snowballs. It was like some kind of snow babushka.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Zenzirouj posted:

I once had a 4-ball chain of snowballs. It was like some kind of snow babushka.

I didn't realize babushka was a synonym for a matryoshka doll. Anyways your comment made me laugh imagining that scenario.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you upgrade your watering can to rank 3, you can water a 3x3 field when you jump and you barely use any stamina at all, so I'd say its pretty useful.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I finally got this game a few days ago and have been playing a lot ever since. Last night I was midway through my first fall and was checking my calendar or something. As I walking back to my bed I happened to notice something at the top of the screen and went to investigate and what I had always thought was a blank wall turned out to be a doorway and... holy crap! There's a kitchen there! Have I had a kitchen in my house this whole time?? How did I not know there was a kitchen there???

So I'm not incredibly observant, I guess. :downs:

Really digging this game so far, though. Except that I have an unrelenting and possibly unreasonable hatred for my chick's hat. It is the worst hat. I wish I could get rid of it or buy a different one for her. I think it's the dumb flower on the back that enrages me so.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

I finally got this game a few days ago and have been playing a lot ever since. Last night I was midway through my first fall and was checking my calendar or something. As I walking back to my bed I happened to notice something at the top of the screen and went to investigate and what I had always thought was a blank wall turned out to be a doorway and... holy crap! There's a kitchen there! Have I had a kitchen in my house this whole time?? How did I not know there was a kitchen there???

So I'm not incredibly observant, I guess. :downs:

Really digging this game so far, though. Except that I have an unrelenting and possibly unreasonable hatred for my chick's hat. It is the worst hat. I wish I could get rid of it or buy a different one for her. I think it's the dumb flower on the back that enrages me so.

This is especially baffling since at the start of the game the mayor walks you to your kitchen and tells you that you can cook there and that part is unskippable and requires player input to get past it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Really? I must have blacked out during that part.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I have a couple of questions about Grand Bazaar. I've read most of the thread (might've missed the last couple of pages), but forgive me if this is still a :downs: question: can anyone shed a little more light on how the bazaar works? While I've always loved playing and really love the idea of Harvest Moon, the only game I'm REALLY familiar with (read: have played for more than a couple of hours) is Magical Melody. How does item selling function? Do you just store stuff in your house all week until it's time to sell, and then cram it all in your inventory? From what I gather it sounds like you have to flag down people to sell to, and it's possible to not make the sale, but I can't really get a grasp on it.

My only other question is: where can I find this game? All I hear about is Gamestop, which admittedly I haven't tried yet because I had temporarily lost my DS. I did look for it in Best Buy and Target though, and didn't see it anywhere. Will it be in Gamestop? Should I just order it on amazon or something?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

The bazaar happens every weekend, usually Saturday unless there is a holiday or birthday, in which case it's Sunday, and rarely you'll have two holidays in a row (Saturday and Sunday) and there won't be a bazaar that day. It's best to store your stuff during the week until the bazaar, but if you're needing money or space badly there is a shopkeeper that you can sell things to for half price.

At the bazaar itself, you get your own little stall and add items from your inventory to put for sale. You call people over to buy things with a bell, and they'll either see something they like and ask to buy a certain number, or they won't and they'll just walk away. There isn't any negotiating involved in selling itself, you just press A a certain number of times depending on how many items they want within a (forgiving) amount of time. Occasionally people will ask you questions that you can answer and change your reputation for better or worse. The money you make during the bazaar progresses your bazaar level, and if you make enough money and/or get a high enough reputation you can win prizes the next day.

There are other stalls in the bazaar and you can buy things you usually can't during the week such as animals, upgrades and other seeds. As you increase your bazaar level, new stalls will open up and you can buy new things.

It's all explained in game and pretty straight forward so I wouldn't worry. :)

Finally, the only place I've seen it was at GameStop, but that was also the only place I looked.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

redjenova posted:

I have a couple of questions about Grand Bazaar. I've read most of the thread (might've missed the last couple of pages), but forgive me if this is still a :downs: question: can anyone shed a little more light on how the bazaar works? While I've always loved playing and really love the idea of Harvest Moon, the only game I'm REALLY familiar with (read: have played for more than a couple of hours) is Magical Melody. How does item selling function? Do you just store stuff in your house all week until it's time to sell, and then cram it all in your inventory?

Pretty much. You can sell anything that can be carried. I usually sell the cheap crap stuff at the store for seed money but everything goes for a lot more at the bazaar. Most of what you sell will be your own crops or cooked/windmilled products, although if you have room left you might want to cram some flowers or whatever in there. Items stack, and your backpack is pretty big. On bazaar day, you run down to the marketplace and arrange some sellable goodies on the stall. It starts at 10am so you can deal with animals etc.

When it starts you stand behind the stall and ring a bell to attract people which must be the most obnoxious sales technique ever. They'll run over and if they see something they like, they'll stand at the counter. Like if you have a stack of 20 turnips and they decide they want five, they'll stand in front of it with a '5' over their head. When a stack runs out, you put something else there and continue. Repeat until stock depletes or bazaar ends at 7pm.

Selling off your entire stock isn't too hard. The only time I came home with unsold stuff was when I had two stacks of 99 peppers and 84 baked yams due to the loving cooking festivals running overtime.

quote:

From what I gather it sounds like you have to flag down people to sell to, and it's possible to not make the sale, but I can't really get a grasp on it.

Some people were not ringing the bell enough, or not ringing it near the paths, meaning they attracted few customers. Easily resolved. The only annoying part of the bazaar are the questions. Maybe a couple of times per bazaar, you'll have a customer come up and ask a retarded question with a multiple choice answer. Good answers raise your reputation, bad ones lower it. It's not always obvious which answer is the 'correct' one. Also sometimes the 'good' answer gives away an item for free. "Oh I love this GOLD ORE can you give it to me?" No you can't rear end in a top hat, pay money like everyone else. Oh look my reputation fell, gently caress you.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
It's neat when you get your reputation increased by the old guys who buy an entire stack of items at once because you let them talk to you, though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I wish he'd do that with my 99 peppers. Good luck with your bowels granddad.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's best when the lady tries to charm her way into getting something for free, you deny her, and she buys that Gold Ore for double price.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The customer is always right.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I dunno if I'm the only one currently playing this or what (8th Winter first year, just picked it up again after a hiatus). But I was wondering if anyone else got this. The cat has lately started running up to my character and meowing while throwing up a [!]. It does this every single time they cross paths. It's fed, I already threw it and poked it with the stethoscope, I let it play with the bell, what does it WANT. Is it just a thing it does once it gets to a certain friendship level? I'm pretty sure it didn't level up recently or anything.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Corridor posted:

I dunno if I'm the only one currently playing this or what (8th Winter first year, just picked it up again after a hiatus). But I was wondering if anyone else got this. The cat has lately started running up to my character and meowing while throwing up a [!]. It does this every single time they cross paths. It's fed, I already threw it and poked it with the stethoscope, I let it play with the bell, what does it WANT. Is it just a thing it does once it gets to a certain friendship level? I'm pretty sure it didn't level up recently or anything.

It loves you! :3:

Seriously, I think that's all it means. I'm still playing too, just haven't encountered much to talk about, unless anyone feels like a multiplayer game for jollies one of these days.

I do have one question, though: where the hell do I get spinach and strawberries? Fogu says it's random for the respective shops but I'm near winter of year 3 and I haven't seen them once. Is it literally random per season, cause that sucks.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

endolithic posted:

I do have one question, though: where the hell do I get spinach and strawberries? Fogu says it's random for the respective shops but I'm near winter of year 3 and I haven't seen them once. Is it literally random per season, cause that sucks.

If it is random, I feel glad I lucked into them! :3: I haven't seen, or looked for, Spinach though. I believe I got them from the stall next to the tree seeds.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What do y'all do in winter to make moneys when there's no greenhouse basement unlocked? Just fish and make jewelry?

endolithic posted:

unless anyone feels like a multiplayer game for jollies one of these days.

I so would if the only nearby public-access wifi point wasn't at the school down the road. There's a nice bench just outside, but I'd still feel creepy spending so much time lurking by a playground.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Corridor posted:

What do y'all do in winter to make moneys when there's no greenhouse basement unlocked? Just fish and make jewelry?

Honestly, I sold lumber and material posts. It's not fantastically lucrative, but all I was doing was planning on buying seeds.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sell sushi. One of the fishes you can use to make it is available during winter, and it's really profitable.

Also by my first winter I had five cows and five chickens, so I was able to make some decent money off of them alone.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I almost finished the bell part of Animal Parade, then my Wii broke and I had to send it in and Nintendo didn't feel copying my save games over.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Corridor posted:

I dunno if I'm the only one currently playing this or what (8th Winter first year, just picked it up again after a hiatus).

I was playing it a LOT and then Etrian Odyssey came out and distracted me. :black101: I'll probably get back into it soon, though.

Corridor posted:

I pretty much commit to disappointing the mayor at the bazaar every week. v:shobon:v

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Fish all the time. Fall back on your cattle too.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I just picked up Bazaar, and my god, DOUBLE JUMP! Hell, jump period. How did we play without double jump before?

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

I just started Bazaar (first week) and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of...uh, anything to do so far aside from growing turnips. Am I missing something or have I just not been introduced to content yet? Should I just be going to bed two hours after waking up?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

ZebTM posted:

I just started Bazaar (first week) and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of...uh, anything to do so far aside from growing turnips. Am I missing something or have I just not been introduced to content yet? Should I just be going to bed two hours after waking up?

Why are you sleeping when you could be swimming? Go dive in those rivers! Have you had the first bazaar yet? You'll be able to get different crops there as well as farm animals, which will give you more to do and more to make money from. The beginning is fairly uneventful, you get more to do as you unlock bazaar levels and such.

Also, why the hell does tomato wine take so long to ferment? I need to make butter and you're taking up all my space! :suicide:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So, I'm a little insane, and I ended up making a ridiculous addition to the Fugu HM Spreadsheet - profitability checks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8184495/HM%20GB%20Price%20list%20-%20Modified.xlsx

: ( Way too much work for little to no reward, but it's handy. The upper left contains a search box that will highlight any recipe that uses the word.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Double post to reply to the winter thing - go run around like a retard throwing snowballs and looking for ore stones. If you feel particularly OCD get a bunch, save, then crack them open in the morning and restart if you don't like the result. Ore stones could turn into fantastic PRIZES.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Falcon2001 posted:

So, I'm a little insane, and I ended up making a ridiculous addition to the Fugu HM Spreadsheet - profitability checks!

: ( Way too much work for little to no reward, but it's handy. The upper left contains a search box that will highlight any recipe that uses the word.

I'm glad someone was crazy enough to do it. There's a lot of crap that I'm not going to bother trying to make anymore, now that I see how lovely the profit margins are. I really wonder how they manage to gently caress these things up. If only a competent developer took over Harvest Moon.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Added to the OP just in case.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Hot drat! Thanks for being insane, this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm glad someone was crazy enough to do it. There's a lot of crap that I'm not going to bother trying to make anymore, now that I see how lovely the profit margins are. I really wonder how they manage to gently caress these things up. If only a competent developer took over Harvest Moon.

I think honestly it's designed that way so that you're encouraged to experiment and write it down. If everything made money it'd be a little less exciting :)

That being said my formula assumes that everything is 3Star, while really it should assume a 4 star result and 3 star ingredients (as things improve whe you cook them)... but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

• Locked thread