Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hell no you're not the only one. I've been eyeing Hiller's KoHos for the past two years. Carey's pads are really clean too. I'm glad he went back to the all-white with a fleck of colour. I'm also glad to see he apparently ditched the retarded looking EPICs he sported last year. I've been dabbling with the idea of going back to a Velocity style pad myself so :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Am I the only one, as the new season in the NHL begins, that is checking out all the goalies' new gear, see if there's any new hot stuff they're sporting?

Like even though the color scheme changed, I'm slightly disappointed Lundqvist has the One100's again this year. Its the first time I think he hasn't changed pads from year to year. Even more disappointing is Biron I think is wearing them too, so there's no variety on the Rangers at all.

I am doing the same. Checking out Goalie Guilds pads tracker. Lists everything which is pretty cool. I really hate Dipietros pads with the camo. I think it looks absolutely terrible.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Am I the only one, as the new season in the NHL begins, that is checking out all the goalies' new gear, see if there's any new hot stuff they're sporting?

Like even though the color scheme changed, I'm slightly disappointed Lundqvist has the One100's again this year. Its the first time I think he hasn't changed pads from year to year. Even more disappointing is Biron I think is wearing them too, so there's no variety on the Rangers at all.
Read this yet? Good article. Covers, I believe, all of the changes since last year. I don't much care for his white-bashing, since I do like my pads to be white base.

And just to re-iterate, the new Reebok line is both crappy looking and sports a crappy-sounding name.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

coldwind posted:

Read this yet? Good article. Covers, I believe, all of the changes since last year. I don't much care for his white-bashing, since I do like my pads to be white base.

And just to re-iterate, the new Reebok line is both crappy looking and sports a crappy-sounding name.
Loved this article, but I couldn't agree more. That pattern is just awful. Larceny :smith:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Ohhh...I was wrong about Biron. He's wearing the same Koho's as Hiller. They are gorgeous.

I don't mind the Larceny's design, just the name. Also I still love the Revokes. Having a white inside or outside with team color I think is just a beautiful look. Leighton's last year, Ersberg's this year. Something about em makes me want to buy em.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh poo poo, I need pics STAT. I love Hiller's KoHos but I hate the colour. Wonder what it looks like in a better scheme.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Apparently Biron just switched pads in the past two weeks.

Sept 23:

Sept 28:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK yeah, those are sexy as gently caress.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

real_scud posted:

I've tried pulling my pants up as much as they can but as they stand now they're almost crushing my balls they're so high up.

Here's a picture of what happens. Note I'm sitting in my bedroom so the affect isn't as easily shown, but you'll notice that the inside of the knee cradle gets caught inside my pant. Sometimes that happens or other times it'll get pushed to the outside and eventually because the cradle is being moved by the pant leg it'll get the padding off-center of my knee.

So this happens a lot with these goalie pants and my current pads cause they're 2" too big, but even with 32" pads it still happens somewhat. I guess I was hoping to get free range of movement since that's what I currently get when I wear my player pants since there's no protection on the inside of the leg.
Not sure if you're still running this poll, but I checked and my pants aren't this long. Like Marty's, they have a very wide leg opening and are pretty wide in general, though they are a L size pant.

ManicJason posted:

Apparently Biron just switched pads in the past two weeks.

Sept 23:

Sept 28:

Those were Lundqvist's old pads. He wore them while his pads were getting in.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

coldwind posted:

Not sure if you're still running this poll, but I checked and my pants aren't this long. Like Marty's, they have a very wide leg opening and are pretty wide in general, though they are a L size pant.
I am still, what kind of pants + pad and sizing are you running?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

real_scud posted:

I am still, what kind of pants + pad and sizing are you running?
Large CCM Heaton 8 Pants
36" Nike-Bauer One75

The pants run juuust about to the top of the knee lifts. I took some bad pictures, and tried to take some good ones but the camera ran out of batteries as I was taking them.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 11, 2010

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

coldwind posted:

Large CCM Heaton 8 Pants
36" Nike-Bauer One75

The pants run juuust about to the top of the knee lifts. I took some bad pictures, and tried to take some good ones but the camera ran out of batteries as I was taking them.
That's ok about the pictures, from what it seems like everyone is saying that their pads should barely come to the top of their knee-stack so the 32" pads should be the perfect size for me. I just have to figure out if I want to get V3 or V4 7450's

real_scud fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 11, 2010

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

I have a total hardon for these pads. The Canuck colors get me all steamy for some reason and the revokes are just awesome to begin with

E: Looks like a lacrosse stick

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 12, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like a urinal :stare:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

gigabitnokie posted:

E: Looks like a lacrosse stick
Goddamn you, now that you've said it I won't be able to not see it anytime I see those pads.

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Looks like a urinal :stare:

Click here for the full 472x690 image.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

real_scud posted:

Goddamn you, now that you've said it I won't be able to not see it anytime I see those pads.

haha, no kidding. I never saw that til now. But yeah, I'm fully on that bandwagon too. Love the revokes. The 7000's are down to $380 for a set of the pads on GM. If a color comes along that is one I'm looking for and the price drops some more I'm so very tempted to buy them.

Also, playoff time for this session for me. All 3 teams I'm on have made it to the championship. I played 2 games Sunday, 2 games lastnight, have 1 tonight, 1 Wednesday, am going to miss 1 Friday for the Rangers game, then 2 Saturday, and 3 Sunday (these 3 all being game 3 of a best of 3...all back to back to back). I'm exhausted already, and I've still got potentially 9 games to go.

Good news is I feel like I'm playing pretty well. Had a 2-0 shutout against the top team in that division lastnight, running with a .925 Sv% and a 1.91 GAA so far.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

:negative:
Jesus christ are you a machine or something? 9 loving games with 5 of them coming in a 2 day span?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

real_scud posted:

Jesus christ are you a machine or something? 9 loving games with 5 of them coming in a 2 day span?

Yeah I dunno how I'm going to survive. Like I said I'm sore already. The good thing is I'll get Thursday and Friday off, since I'll miss Friday's game. 12 games in 9 days, and yeah, potentially 5 of them in two. I forgot game 3 for one team is Monday night, not during the weekend. I'm praying all three series' don't go 3 games.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

That sounded kind of confusing, so to clarify: on low shots between your knees or so, you want to pull the stick in tight to one of your pads to deflect the puck low and into a corner. On low shots toward your toes or farther out, you want to keep your stick out away from your pads to deflect the puck up and into a corner/off the rink. Rebound control is a hell of a lot easier with your stick than your pads.

I followed you all the way. What happened on that shot was I went paddle down (I don't know why) on a shot coming at my leg pad. I should've clarified a bit better in saying that I've been going paddle down way too often lately for who-knows why. I hadn't really ever thought about the stick position for the shots off the toes though, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK I'm officially too out of shape to play three games a week. I need to do something about this STAT.

Fuckin, where is the "make self work at being fit" button, I can't find it!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

OK I'm officially too out of shape to play three games a week. I need to do something about this STAT.

no kidding. I can't wait for Thursday just to have a night off, lol. Plus side, another shutout tonight in game 1 of my first championship. I've been playing unreal for this team, 2 playoff shutouts, and a shutout in the last regular season game too. Good thing is if I have a good final game, I might have the MVP locked up, which the captain put a $50 bounty on...so there's that!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Very nice :)

I had an okay game, I was up 3-2 before the goalies switched ends. Let's just say that as the night went on things turned into a breakaway fest. The final score was 13-7 for the other team. I gave up at least four terrible goals where the guy basically skated in on the left of my crease, got me coming across, then when I was down he just popped the puck over my stick hand. Every time. Not to blame D, because really I should have expected that same shot after the second time he did it, but I really could have used someone clearing the puck away so they didn't get 2, 3, or 4 shots at me before someone finally picked them up.

I wasn't really thinking about it, but I think next time I'm going to try just pokechecking the puck away, especially if they're being really predictable with it.

I was pretty much too tired to care about the outcome of a shinny, but the more I think about it the worse some of those goals look in my mind. Not a big deal, but definitely something I need to work on.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Seeing makes a big difference. I kept the other team scoreless for the first 20 minutes of scrimmage and then they brought one of the coaches out to manufacture offense and they were able to get two goals in the next 5 minutes. The frustrating thing is that I should have stopped the first two goals. The first one was on a wrap-around play where I went into the VH to take away the wrap around chance and they passed it out into the slot and the puck sailed over my shoulder. I really need to follow my own advice and just stay up on my feet unless I am absolutely sure it is a wrap around. On the second goal, the same coach was behind the net, he made a pass to the left slot, but I played the angle correctly, but they had a player waiting in the right slot for a one-timer. I butterfly slid to the post, but the puck just barely beat me.

The other thing I did tonight was work on not taking such extreme angles, I just tried to stay a little more centered in the net and it seemed to work. I'm not sure if it's going to be this Friday or next Friday, but I want to get out to the Ice Den for Friday pickup and see if any of my progress translates against better players.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Martytoof posted:

It's labeled "Habit", might be a little confusing.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
A few things:

1) got an invite for a weekly lunch hour hockey game, and am excited for it but can only make it 1/2 the time due to my schedule.

2) got a new to me blocker from Titanium, the Summit set is complete and my wife wonders if 3 pairs of gloves will be enough.

3) reading up on the thread I figure I must be missing something but what is this "VH" that keeps popping up. In my head it jumps to mean 5-hole, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be missing something here.

4) I have started playing a little deeper in my net and my play has greatly improved, I am not standing on the goal line but I am not challenging out terribly far either. I have noticed that I do far better staying in the blue paint, I think previously I was challenging out way too far particularly on plays that had passing options. 1:1 I still head out there, but hanging back lets me cover the net more efficiently.

To Marty: players get cocky, and the poke check is a skill in serious decline in the current game. Playing shinny with younger players they are often shocked that I am just as likely to glove a shot as simply strip the puck from them with one hand and shove it out to my D-men. It forces them to be more cautious with the approach and moves them into more predictable patterns, they will be more inclined to unload the puck further out to avoid the embarrassment of being poke checked.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Space Cadet posted:

3) reading up on the thread I figure I must be missing something but what is this "VH" that keeps popping up. In my head it jumps to mean 5-hole, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be missing something here.

Half butterfly. One pad up, one pad down at the post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSTtQ6uZypE

Space Cadet posted:

To Marty: players get cocky, and the poke check is a skill in serious decline in the current game. Playing shinny with younger players they are often shocked that I am just as likely to glove a shot as simply strip the puck from them with one hand and shove it out to my D-men. It forces them to be more cautious with the approach and moves them into more predictable patterns, they will be more inclined to unload the puck further out to avoid the embarrassment of being poke checked.

Good advice here. I'm totally going for a poke tonight :clint:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Space Cadet posted:

If you don't feel like loading the video, more or less this, from FL's hi-res pic thread:

Also, I like the poke check too, but I've gotten away from it a bit, and my timing is off on it alot, and I end up just missing like half the time. Then I look like a real dope.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

VH = Vertical/Horizontal (one pad is, the other pad is)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Also, I like the poke check too, but I've gotten away from it a bit, and my timing is off on it alot, and I end up just missing like half the time. Then I look like a real dope.

Me too!! I used to have a great poke check. Now, I miss and the guy just shoots it right into my mask or something. Save is a save, I guess...

Since school started up again, the only practice I can really get is these friday night games where I might as well just butterfly on the goal line because I'm only gonna see 4 shots all night. I've been getting really rusty.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I need to learn to poke check. Actually I need to become more comfortable with my stick work and just have a more active stick in general.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Surfing Turtle posted:

I need to learn to poke check. Actually I need to become more comfortable with my stick work and just have a more active stick in general.
Ditto. I feel like my blocker pad actually gets too good a grip on my stick and it's hard to let it slide out properly to get a poke check off.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

real_scud posted:

Ditto. I feel like my blocker pad actually gets too good a grip on my stick and it's hard to let it slide out properly to get a poke check off.
I've heard not to slide your stick out, but pretend like you're throwing it and let your knob stop in your blocker.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

coldwind posted:

I've heard not to slide your stick out, but pretend like you're throwing it and let your knob stop in your blocker.
Ya others have said it and I guess I need to practice it more cause I feel like I'm doing that but it still doesn't go out very fast.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I find it's a lot easier for me to pokecheck by quickly sliding my glove up the shaft until I feel the tape heel in my palm, then and only then do I "throw" the stick. It's a two step thing, but I think this way works best for me.

It also gives away the pokecheck obviously. Like a long windup on a slapshot it's something the other team can easily see and try to avoid so it's best to try and get really fast at it. But that's how I do it.

If I don't have a lot of time to consider my options, I might still throw the stick there and then without moving my glove up to the tape heel first. It's just a lot more awkward.

Also consider this: If you can threaten a pokecheck and make the player see that you're ready to donk the puck, you might be able to force him to play his hand too soon. If he thinks you can poke it away he might take a bad angle shot instead of dragging it across the crease, or he might pass it off to someone else. Just one of those things in your mental toolbag that you should have I guess. I certainly need to learn to use it more effectively.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Aniki posted:

The first one was on a wrap-around play where I went into the VH to take away the wrap around chance and they passed it out into the slot and the puck sailed over my shoulder. I really need to follow my own advice and just stay up on my feet unless I am absolutely sure it is a wrap around.
Do you really try to use a VH for wraps? I have had much more success using this move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP4BVdT74MU

Martytoof posted:

I find it's a lot easier for me to pokecheck by quickly sliding my glove up the shaft until I feel the tape heel in my palm, then and only then do I "throw" the stick. It's a two step thing, but I think this way works best for me.
I use both. Sometimes I'll do a spur of the moment throw, sometimes I'll do what you described.

Martytoof posted:

Also consider this: If you can threaten a pokecheck and make the player see that you're ready to donk the puck, you might be able to force him to play his hand too soon.
It seems like this happens more than I actually land the poke when I use the deliberate method. Just make sure you're ready for a quick save, usually right at you. Also, when you're poking, remember you don't have to aim right at the puck; if you hit anywhere on the player's blade it's going to be just as effective.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

Do you really try to use a VH for wraps? I have had much more success using this move:

I use both depending on the situation and whimsy. If I have to cover a wraparound in one motion, then I use the method that you posted, though I like to actively swing my paddle to knock the puck off of the shooter's stick. I tend to use the VH for slower developing behind the net plays. So I will typically move to the post on my feet and set up in the VH to take away any wraparounds or tight shots. I tend to favor the VH, because I can easily butterfly slide to the other side of the crease, but I tend to have difficulty recovering to the top of the crease and even when I get a good slide, I tend to be too deep in the crease. I don't really make a lot of adjustments once I am down on the ice, so I tend to slide where I happen to already be positioned.

It is definitely something that I need to work on, so maybe after I get a couple more games in with contacts, then I will look into arranging a lesson to work on that.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I keep letting in goals on the post. I don't think I am hugging the post right. It will hit my skate and end up in the net some how. I push my skate right up against the post. Am I just not upright with my pad enough? I would put my stick there but I use it to cover my 5 hole.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Anyone seen the paint job on Hiller's new helmet? It's flat black and dammit, I like it.

*edit* Ooooo found a picture

Joey Walnuts fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Jesus christ, I need to attempt to get in the loving game faster because it seems I'm cursed with being awful in the 1st period and then putting together a pretty dammed good rest of the game.

Managed to let in 4 in the first, and then one in the 3rd to lose 5-2 in our last game of the season. Frustrating as hell to start out bad and make your teammates claw their way back into the game.

Thankfully our next game isn't for a few weeks so hopefully by then I'll have new pads.

• Locked thread