Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lazareth posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5660934/scion-fr+s-is-the-new-toyota-ft+86 Soo much fail.

Basically the Toyota/Subaru project the FT-86 is looking like its gonna be a Scion, and the Subaru version may not be available stateside.

$25 grand for a "spiritual" successor to the AE86? Toyota, much like BMW has completely lost the plot in regards to what actually made them successful in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
Holy poo poo have you guys seen the new Nissan Juke? I think it gives the Aztek a run for it's money.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ozziegt posted:

Holy poo poo have you guys seen the new Nissan Juke? I think it gives the Aztek a run for it's money.

I'm considering test driving one; I like the commonality of the design language with the 370Z (aggressive front lighting, taillights blending into body curves) and the fake-2-door look.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

ozziegt posted:

If grandmas and patriots are the buyers of Azteks, all I can see rolling around in these is guys who love Halo.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

:colbert:

I think some of them will end up looking pretty cool. Sorta like that toaster car you guys in the US have.

Quu
Mar 8, 2005
More cowbell!
^ Now i want one :argh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

rscott posted:

$25 grand for a "spiritual" successor to the AE86? Toyota, much like BMW has completely lost the plot in regards to what actually made them successful in the first place.

I couldn't find prices for a 1985 Corolla GTS, but I bet it wasn't that much cheaper in real dollars than $25k. Not to mention -- if the FT86 stays RWD and stays lighter than most coupes out there, that really is bringing home the bacon in a market where there's few new cars like it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kimbo305 posted:

I couldn't find prices for a 1985 Corolla GTS, but I bet it wasn't that much cheaper in real dollars than $25k. Not to mention -- if the FT86 stays RWD and stays lighter than most coupes out there, that really is bringing home the bacon in a market where there's few new cars like it.

Found a window sticker for a 85 GTS which was $11,650, or $22,970 in CPS adjusted dollars in 2009 - so yeah, it ain't that far off. CPS is a little aggressive, though. That sticker is pretty optioned out, I think.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Lazareth posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5660934/scion-fr+s-is-the-new-toyota-ft+86 Soo much fail.

Basically the Toyota/Subaru project the FT-86 is looking like its gonna be a Scion, and the Subaru version may not be available stateside.

It makes sense really, given that Toyota is now all about boring appliances rather than enthusiast cars.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A5H posted:

I think some of them will end up looking pretty cool. Sorta like that toaster car you guys in the US have.

when you look at it at that angle, picturing the round headlights as the 'eyes' and the actual headlights being angry 'eyebrows', that thing looks kind of like an adorable little angry beast. Or maybe I should lay off the drugs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

It makes sense really, given that Toyota is now all about boring appliances rather than enthusiast cars.

Well the intention is the opposite of that -- it's to inject some life into the lovely Scion brand. Of course what will happen is that it'll hurt the already tiny potential sales of the FT86 even more and put Scion further into the grave.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I've seen a couple of the Jukes at the local nissan dealership. That's probably the ugliest car I've seen in a while. It looks like a nice size, too bad the front is so god awful

eames
May 9, 2009

The concept of the Juke (small, 4WD, 190 hp engine, aimed at younger people) looks like a winner to me, but I find it just plain astonishing how they managed to gently caress up the design so hard.

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
I'm not really a fan of smoked front lights, but I can see it helping so much if you got the car in black.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rscott posted:

I'm not up on US prices - how much would a WRX 265, or genesis 3.8 cost compared to that?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Crustashio posted:

I'm not up on US prices - how much would a WRX 265, or genesis 3.8 cost compared to that?

A base 3.8 Genesis is $25k. Grand Touring 3.8 is $28.5k, and the 3.8 Track is $30.5k

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

A5H posted:

Alright I'll get dogpiled for saying this but I like the Juke, it's a cheap fake SUV with a turbocharged 1.6 that gets 24/31 and has an optional 6-speed at every trim level. It looks weird but that doesn't bother me at all, because if I see one more Rav4 or CRV I will have a breakdown, and if it's light blue I will kill myself right then and there. I'm afraid to go outside.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

NOTinuyasha posted:

Alright I'll get dogpiled for saying this but I like the Juke, it's a cheap fake SUV with a turbocharged 1.6 that gets 24/31 and has an optional 6-speed at every trim level. It looks weird but that doesn't bother me at all, because if I see one more Rav4 or CRV I will have a breakdown, and if it's light blue I will kill myself right then and there. I'm afraid to go outside.

I feel the same way. I also love the Nissan Cube.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NOTinuyasha posted:

So true; I'd take a phalanx of Jukes over the horrible Mercedes Minivan or Generic Blobby SUV (including the new Cayenne) all the soccer moms around here drive.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

A5H posted:

This one I like. Lowering it made all the difference. The camera angle helps, too.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

DropShadow posted:

This one I like. Lowering it made all the difference. The camera angle helps, too.

Is it just me or does this picture look like a shop? The nissan logo and the fog lights kinda make it look like a front swap onto a different car.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

A5H posted:

This car would look one million times better if they'd gotten rid of those 'eyebrow' doodads and put the headlights/turn signals into that little recessed area under the err...'brow' like the new Camaro does. I tried changing it in photoshop but I just made a mess.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've been wondering, does it have 4 foglights?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KlementGottwald posted:

What?

Porsche was in F1 for 4 years[83-87](The 1991 Footwork Literally never existed, we shall not speak of that..that...thing) and took two constructors championships, 3 driver titles, and managed to win 25 races. I think they should be in the sport.

Yes, I know, I forgot about the TAG engines.

That Jag looks interesting but it's not like any of that technology actually works, so it's meaningless. If JLR somehow manage to get it working (something they say will take about 8 years) then I'll be superimpressed. But much as it pains me to say it, this is the British car industry we're talking about.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 13, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CharlesM posted:

I've been wondering, does it have 4 foglights?

I assume the big round lights are the highbeams, and the top lights are the low beams.

I don't mind the split level lights. It looks different which is better than nothing, and maybe a little like an angry insect.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

This car would look one million times better if they'd gotten rid of those 'eyebrow' doodads and put the headlights/turn signals into that little recessed area under the err...'brow' like the new Camaro does. I tried changing it in photoshop but I just made a mess.

I tried to do a quick chop, but I'm not sure I did any better than you did. Messy clone-stampery.

Seeing if I can make the lights look more recessed without it looking more like poo poo.

e: I don't know if this is better or worse....

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 13, 2010

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

People posted:

Nissan Juke Stuff

I was admittedly pumped about this car when I first saw an advert for it on TV. After a bit of research, I lost all interest in the car.

What I got from the hype was a turbocharged, 4cyl, AWD mini-SUV kinda like the VW Tiguan; I was also told of an available 6-speed manual. What I found was that the only transmission option available with the AWD models is that stupid loving CVT!

Luckily, I saw this thingy from Hyundai today:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/04/2011-hyundai-sonata-turbo-priced-at-24-145/

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I was admittedly pumped about this car when I first saw an advert for it on TV. After a bit of research, I lost all interest in the car.

What I got from the hype was a turbocharged, 4cyl, AWD mini-SUV kinda like the VW Tiguan; I was also told of an available 6-speed manual. What I found was that the only transmission option available with the AWD models is that stupid loving CVT!

Luckily, I saw this thingy from Hyundai today:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/04/2011-hyundai-sonata-turbo-priced-at-24-145/

The FWD version will be lighter and faster. What does this thing need AWD for?

EDIT: The Hyundai also only comes with an auto if you want the turbo engine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Juke is ugly, but I think it's ugly in a rather good way, kind of like the older Subarus were. I think I read the designer saying somewhere that it's supposed to look like a rally car. The idea is nice too, it's basically the non-boring econobox: small, cheap, turbo, AWD, and manual, although not having a manual with AWD does suck.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

abigserve posted:

Is it just me or does this picture look like a shop? The nissan logo and the fog lights kinda make it look like a front swap onto a different car.

It is a photoshop. But just the wheels/yellow lights/ride height.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I like that Nissan is starting to have visually different economy vehicles. If anything, I see it cutting into the "I'm going to be different, time to buy a Scion!" crowd. I've seen the Nissan Cube a few times at the rental car place I use all the time, maybe they'll get a Juke in.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
The Juke in its only 4wd guise costs the equivalent of 30k here. For this price you get it all of course, but still, do they think they are BMW and can pull it off like this is the new mini crossover ? Wtf Nissan ?

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Throatwarbler posted:

The FWD version will be lighter and faster. What does this thing need AWD for?

EDIT: The Hyundai also only comes with an auto if you want the turbo engine.

Rear grip :smug:

Also disappointed by the Sonata Turbo, but I find a little solace in it having a paddle-shifted auto.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So the new Chrysler 200C went from this:

:circlefap:

To this:

Focus groups :ughh:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Maybe it's just the picture, but I don't see much of a difference except for the stuff done for crash standards.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Muffinpox posted:

Maybe it's just the picture, but I don't see much of a difference except for the stuff done for crash standards.

Basically a Sebring with new front and rear ends.

If it wasn't for Alfas/Fiats coming here, I'd wish Chrysler would just die already.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I don't think that's blameable on the focus groups.

edit: and good god it looks just like a loving sebring

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Russian Bear posted:

Next they'll strap 800lb worth of stupid poo poo on it and make it FWD.

You mean they'll make a real production car meeting safety regulations besides marketing-claim
vaporware, and make it the Rav-4s awesome AWD. Maybe they'll be like old Subarus and have FWD standard and AWD optional!

I have faith for Subaru to totally ignore the whole point of 25 years of their drivetrain engineering (and their claim to fame and marketing point for the same amount of time), I don't think Toyota will have a problem making a sporty car again, they've done well attacking Mercedes on most of its products( besides the F-line versus AMG). BMW doesn't make cheap little RWD sport dealies besides Mazda and Hyundai.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 13, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Everyone should be making poo poo light and awesome. You can get through safety without weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

The biggest problem is a $25K MSRP puts it squarely in V6 Mustang territory, which is also RWD.