Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm all for experimentation being a necessary part of the game, but there should never be a situation where a recipe will cause you to LOSE money, especially when so many of those situations are nonsensical. Like with the wines: every wine bottle converts to a glass of wine with a 1:1 value ratio. Yet for whatever reason summer wine loses 10% of its previous value and beer gains 30% of its previous value. And recipes, many of which are very complicated and require obscure ingredients, often end up making you lose total value for no apparent reason. In these cases you're punished for experimentation, whereas the correct course is to reward it by having certain recipes give greater profits while others merely give small profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

God I know I would never make it as a farmer, and I honestly hate doing yardwork, but damned if I don't think about it every time I play a Harvest Moon game. Just do nothing but grow some kickass vegetables and talk with villagers all day. I want Twin Villages damnit. :smith:

Does Harvest Moon just do mediocre sales over here? I've always wondered why the localization team is so small.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Falcon2001 posted:

So, I'm a little insane, and I ended up making a ridiculous addition to the Fugu HM Spreadsheet - profitability checks!

you're mental, but this is very helpful! Thank you. I totally agree that it's stupid to lose money on some recipes. As a fairly laid-back gamer, I don't want to write things down or do calculations etc, just play the game and get expected rewards for additional effort.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I was frustrated at some of the crops being really odd to work with. I eventually just snapped and did that over the course of a few hours.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
I just got this game for the DS for my birthday, so I hope some of you experienced folks come back to the thread in case one of you can help me out here.

I read early on where someone here had a problem getting their Bazaar to upgrade, despite meeting (and exceeding) the sale quota to do so. I read the entire thread and see that person just restarted the game because it just wouldn't work.

I am having the same problem :( I made 49,000 in sales and the Mayor just gave some bullshit about us being close to the goal and my bazaar remains at 25% progress.

I checked out some active harvest moon forums out there and it doesn't seem to be a common enough problem that I can find anyone else who has any answers about what to do. I am thinking the answer is probably going to be I have to start a new file (which would suck but there are worse bugs I suppose) but I thought I would ask around a bit before I did. It would suck rear end to start a new file and run into the same problem again.

Any thoughts, anyone? In the meantime, I'll be trawling more HM specific forums for the answer/my fate.

Andenalli fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 14, 2010

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It's not like you hit the goal and the bazaar instantly upgrades. The mayor is being literal when he says the the profit is just a goal that will help the bazaar improve. For all I know, the bazaar might advance even without you ever making the goal, but by simply participating and going to the recap the next day. For example, my goal has been 80,000-100,000 for a little over a month. The first two weeks I got over 150,000 and the past three I've gotten 50,000-70,000. Each week the upgrade gets closer regardless of me obliterating the goal or not even reaching it.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
Ahh, ok. I read further on the topic and I came back to retract my question. I thought it would upgrade once I met each profit goal, I didn't realize it was cumulative to some higher amount. Thanks for the answer.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Zenzirouj posted:

For all I know, the bazaar might advance even without you ever making the goal, but by simply participating and going to the recap the next day.

I can vouch for this being the case. My bazaar made the first upgrade even though I never met the goal.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Ok, what am I doing wrong?

You guys keep talking about how you need to buy one tool so another pops up for sale.
But now I'm in fall of year 1, and there haven't been any tools at al for sale since I bought the axe in the spring.

Is my game broken? :cry:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well, do you also have the sickle and hammer? Because those are all of the tools. If you want animal ones, you have to own the animal first (though you get the harvesting ones for free when you buy the corresponding animal).

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I have the sickle, but not the hammer.
As for animals, I have five chickens, one cat, but no bell or anything.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I have the sickle, but not the hammer.
As for animals, I have five chickens, one cat, but no bell or anything.

It's been a while since I was in year 1 so don't take my word on this, but I think you might have to buy the brush and/or herding bell, which means you need a cow/sheep. I think you can also buy the skateboard in winter, and that might unlock the hammer too.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Alright, quick question. I started playing Boy and Girl on the PSP. I bought some seeds and accidently planted them without tilling or anything and now I have no money to buy more seeds.
Should I just restart? I'm only like a hour in.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

casual poster posted:

Alright, quick question. I started playing Boy and Girl on the PSP. I bought some seeds and accidently planted them without tilling or anything and now I have no money to buy more seeds.
Should I just restart? I'm only like a hour in.

I don't have a PSP, but the time you'll lose foraging won't really be worth it. I'd restart.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I haven't played a harvest moon game since the one on gameboy. I was kind of in the mood to play one again recently, but are the improvements in Rune Factory 3 or Twin Villages enough to make it worth waiting for them to come out or should I just grab Grand Bazaar or Rune Factory 2?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Tiramisu posted:

I haven't played a harvest moon game since the one on gameboy. I was kind of in the mood to play one again recently, but are the improvements in Rune Factory 3 or Twin Villages enough to make it worth waiting for them to come out or should I just grab Grand Bazaar or Rune Factory 2?

Well the Rune factory series added the RPG dungeon crawling element in addition to good old-fashioned farming. You can still raise animals, marry townsfolk, and all that standard Harvest Moon stuff. From what I've heard about about Rune Factory 3, it's a complete improvement over the previous games so it might be worth waiting for it to come out this November 9th.

Edit: Also holy crap, another console Rune Factory is in the works. http://scrawlfx.com/2010/10/rune-factory-oceans-announced-for-ps3-wii

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2010

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

drat. Anyone have freezes in the bazaar Harvest Moon? Everytime I try to enter one house, or head towards the two wifes near the little fountain in the north it freezes.

Edit: Also for some strange reason, I the windmill dude came in and said that the last windmill was now working even though I didn't have a second windmill ready.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 24, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Gorelab posted:

drat. Anyone have freezes in the bazaar Harvest Moon? Everytime I try to enter one house, or head towards the two wifes near the little fountain in the north it freezes.

Yes! That happened to me too! My game would freeze EVERY time I tried going down the stairs in my farm during the winter. I ended up restarting.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Ouch. At least for me it's super easy to avoid.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

The mayor started selling the tools now. All I had to do was buy a cow, I guess. :dance:

Now, however, I'm terrified of my game crashing!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Everyone says Rune Factory 3 is looking to be a big improvement over 2 because it fixes lots of minor annoyances and stuff, but where is this information coming from? I'm considering getting Rune Factory Frontier for Wii, how does the upcoming 3 look to stack up to that? Should I just wait?
Where can I learn more?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Everyone says Rune Factory 3 is looking to be a big improvement over 2 because it fixes lots of minor annoyances and stuff, but where is this information coming from?

And what is it being based on? I don't care how great the interface or farming system is, if the characters aren't all goddamn lunatics like in R2 then I will not be happy.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Vib Rib posted:

Everyone says Rune Factory 3 is looking to be a big improvement over 2 because it fixes lots of minor annoyances and stuff, but where is this information coming from? I'm considering getting Rune Factory Frontier for Wii, how does the upcoming 3 look to stack up to that? Should I just wait?
Where can I learn more?
RFF has a lot less stupid lagging bugs, but the Runey system is broken. If you're okay with modding your Wii to avoid the Runey system, it's a lot of fun.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Where can I learn more?

Will Rune Factory 3 make me grind wood for weeks (real time) in order to progress? That's all I really care about.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Once I took a few in-game days to figure out the runey system, it actually wasn't so bad. Just took 2 or 3 hours in game to pick up some green ones and dump them where they needed to go.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

senae posted:

Will Rune Factory 3 make me grind wood for weeks (real time) in order to progress? That's all I really care about.

Everyone complains about the wood grinding in RF2. You can get just about every drat piece of wood you need from doing villager errands, they will seriously just give you several hundred wood at a time.

This should like, be in the OP.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I recently bought Grand Bazaar and I'm at the end of my first Spring and I have some questions.

Is there anyway to set down things like chickens or the basket without throwing them? I always feel bad dropping a chick because I always throw them into a wall.

How can I tell what the weather will be the next day?

When do I get access to cooking supplies like oil and flour?

Is it supposed to be difficult to get anywhere with the girls you can romance? I've been handing out flowers and the food they like and I've gotten nowhere.

If I leave an animal outside do they need to stay out overnight to count as fed or can I put them out in the morning and bring them in at night?

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Spaseman posted:

I recently bought Grand Bazaar and I'm at the end of my first Spring and I have some questions.

Is there anyway to set down things like chickens or the basket without throwing them? I always feel bad dropping a chick because I always throw them into a wall.
You can only throw your chickens and anything else you've picked up. They must like it.

quote:

How can I tell what the weather will be the next day?
I'm pretty sure you can't tell what the weather will be.

quote:

When do I get access to cooking supplies like oil and flour?
Cooking supplies will be sold at the bazaar. You may need to have the bazaar upgraded once for the vendor to be there.

quote:

Is it supposed to be difficult to get anywhere with the girls you can romance? I've been handing out flowers and the food they like and I've gotten nowhere.
It took me just under a year of giving gifts most days to get a guy to a high enough love level to want to marry me. It doesn't matter much anyway, since you don't get the marriage item until you start your second year. Remember to not throw trash in the rivers, villagers that are on the screen will lose points if you do that.

quote:

If I leave an animal outside do they need to stay out overnight to count as fed or can I put them out in the morning and bring them in at night?
You can check the board inside the barn to see if an animal is still hungry. You don't want to leave them outside overnight, just a few hours outside will do it. Also, after 5, cows and sheep will go inside on their own once you've pushed them close enough to the barn door. If it's earlier than that they'll fight going inside even if they're full.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Spaseman posted:

If it makes you feel better it gets more fun after a while. Sometimes I try and bounce the chicken off the fence and into her pen. :3:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
How does fertilizer work? What is the difference between using it once and using it each day? from what I've seen, Raul's stuff only increases the value of my crops by half a star and trying to create slightly better fertilizer from the windmill would realistically take far too long.

I guess what I really want to know is what does it take to get 5 star quality crops?

Suddenly Tentacles
Sep 14, 2008

Spaseman posted:

Don't worry, they enjoy it-- it feels like they're flying. :3:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib

Suddenly Tentacles posted:

Don't worry, they enjoy it-- it feels like they're flying. :3:

I've begun to enjoy trying to throw them as far as I can at the height of a double jump. When I get some cows I should get that huge troll looking guy to help them fly too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Spaseman posted:

How does fertilizer work? What is the difference between using it once and using it each day? from what I've seen, Raul's stuff only increases the value of my crops by half a star and trying to create slightly better fertilizer from the windmill would realistically take far too long.

I guess what I really want to know is what does it take to get 5 star quality crops?

It's pretty easy once you've opened up the seed-making windmill, at least with quick-growing crops. Plant the crop, fertilize every day until it is ready to harvest, make seeds from the harvest, repeat. The seeds will retain the star increase, so each crop will be higher in rank.

This is most worthwhile for quick-growing crops you only harvest once, like turnips or potatoes. You can do it with long-growing or multi-harvest crops like eggplant or tomatoes, but that would take forever and I probably wouldn't bother until I had a basement to grow them in.

Also, some people figured out how many days in a row it's most efficient to add fertilizer so you get the most quality increase and don't waste any (I think it was four days, or something), but it's kind of a pain in the neck for me to try to remember how many days in a row I've been fertilizing, so I usually just do it every day until the harvest is ready, regardless. Fertilizer is pretty cheap.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
Well, I'm in the fall of my second year and wanted to post here about a couple things.

First off, I remember how someone here had a retarded sheep who went outside in the rain and got themselves all pissy and sick. I have the relative of your sheep in my game. Twice so far, I've woke up to a sheep scooting around my bedroom before it runs full throttle back into the barn. Makes me wonder what it's up to while I am trying to sleep.

Anyone else notice how much Wilbur looks and even sounds like Wario? I've seen his mad face a couple times, once when he finished my basement and another time when I had the gall to show him one of my cats. (He screamed at me to get it away) I thought maybe the makers of the game were going for a theme because Isaac kind of looks like Mario, but in contrast alone I guess.

I've also wondered if I have to water wheat seeds and I am conducting an experiment as we speak. If anyone here knows if you do/don't, I'll gladly accept your info.

So far my greatest one day bazaar profit has been a little over 400K the week I sold all of my jewelry at once. I'm in the home stretch now, towards 100% completion. I'm not married yet, choosing instead to be the town flirt and romancing all the dudes up to red hearts before I make my selection and leave a string of broken hearts in my wake. According to what I read, your husband and kid are pretty unhelpful around the farm, unlike Animal Parade (last HM game I played) so I am in no hurry.

I just got a DS this summer so I haven't played any other HM games for it yet. After this, I wanted to try out another and from these threads I think the consensus is one of the Islands games sucks and the other is alright. Which is the one I want to buy? And a lot of you talk about this Twin Cities HM game, but is that available for the DS yet, in the US?

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

anivasion posted:

I just got a DS this summer so I haven't played any other HM games for it yet. After this, I wanted to try out another and from these threads I think the consensus is one of the Islands games sucks and the other is alright. Which is the one I want to buy? And a lot of you talk about this Twin Cities HM game, but is that available for the DS yet, in the US?

Twin Villages doesn't come out for at least another year or 2. The only other one I've played is the vanilla DS one, and it's fun but it's got some bugs... like the bug that gives you a big windfall of money out of the blue. Harvest Moon DS is good, but after this I'm not sure I can go back.

The bazaar concept is good because it makes you rely on other characters, were in DS you really don't have to do anything except mine and hassle with your animals. And drat are those animals a hassle after a point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Only 2 more days until Rune Factory 3 comes out in the states, right?
That's a day one purchase for me, hot drat.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

Only 2 more days until Rune Factory 3 comes out in the states, right?
That's a day one purchase for me, hot drat.

It features a protagonist who turns into a Wooly and a bachelorette named Tuna. I'm not really sure what to say about this game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The White Dragon posted:

It features a protagonist who turns into a Wooly and a bachelorette named Tuna. I'm not really sure what to say about this game.
How about "awesome"? :cool:

To be honest I'd buy it just for the ability to pick up 9 of an item before having to stow it. Yes, I am that pedantic, but after so many HM and Rune Factory games of having to carry items one by one to the shipping crate, or having to pick, stow, pick, stow, pick, stow, and harvesting at such an incredibly slow rate, that seriously is that big of a deal to me.

Though I have to say the fact they're dropping that god-forsaken Runey system from Frontier is a pretty welcome change, too. What an insufferable pain.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Dammit, why does international freight have to be both expensive and slow? I'll be getting it anywhere between late november and early december!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Tesla was right posted:

Dammit, why does international freight have to be both expensive and slow? I'll be getting it anywhere between late november and early december!

Amazon won't ship my copy until this Thursday and even then I'd have to wait for about a week plus a few days for it to arrive. All because I wanted free shipping. :v:

• Locked thread