Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Puddles posted:

What clock is that?

The astounding TypoClock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Twiin posted:

The astounding TypoClock!

That clock is loving awesome. Thanks!

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

metalhead fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 9, 2010

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Does anyone in here know how to program for Android?
I'd love to have this for an animated background. I know I could use some app that takes a movie file, but I think coding it directly for Android would be better.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
You don't necessarily need coding knowledge, you can easily make your own with a utility like this.

God Exists. fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 9, 2010

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

thanks for the TypoClock suggestion. now everything looks purdy :allears:

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I'm also rocking the TypoClock

Icons are from droidpirate.com, bg is one of the appbrain ones. Everything else is the same from my previous posts.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
I figured I might as well post mine. It is a patchwork compilation of what several others have posted in this thread.

george soros irl fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 10, 2010

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Fiannaiocht posted:

I'm also rocking the TypoClock

Icons are from droidpirate.com, bg is one of the appbrain ones. Everything else is the same from my previous posts.
I love that Minimal Matte you got going there. You're on slightly modded stock Froyo 2.2 right? Not sure if I dare use this for CM6.1. Especially since the thread speaks of the CM6 RC, and not the final release.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Color Me Android is a selection is homescreens with instructions how to make them.

All nice and minimalistic.

PreacherNutshot
Dec 8, 2005
I love children, but I can't eat a whole one.
I'm running stock Froyo 2.2 on my EVO. How do I remove the extra 'home screens'? I've got 7 of them, and I really only want 3 or 4.

I'm working on a new desktop top, I'll post it when I'm done.

Fiannaiocht & Photex - I'm really digging the clean look.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

PreacherNutshot posted:

I'm running stock Froyo 2.2 on my EVO. How do I remove the extra 'home screens'? I've got 7 of them, and I really only want 3 or 4.

I'm working on a new desktop top, I'll post it when I'm done.

Fiannaiocht & Photex - I'm really digging the clean look.

Use Launcher Pro - you can't disable homescreens on Rosie AFAIK.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

ilifin posted:

I love that Minimal Matte you got going there. You're on slightly modded stock Froyo 2.2 right? Not sure if I dare use this for CM6.1. Especially since the thread speaks of the CM6 RC, and not the final release.

Yea I'm running KaosFroyo v36 which is based on CM6.0 and it looks like the theme hasn't been updated to be compatible with new CM versions. I didn't even realize this, I guess I'll have to look for something else when v39 comes out.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

The Merkinman posted:

Does anyone in here know how to program for Android?
I'd love to have this for an animated background. I know I could use some app that takes a movie file, but I think coding it directly for Android would be better.

I made a rough version of this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/stars-in-space/com.powerj

Only tested on my Nexus One... I'm very new to Android so if it sucks I'm sorry :(

edit:
Published it on the market under the name "Stars In Space"

Glimm fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 10, 2010

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
It works, good job!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

God Exists. posted:

It works, good job!

Thanks :) I'll probably add some settings as to speed and re-coloring the background eventually!

P-niiice
May 21, 2001

I have you now.
My attempt

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the status bar transparent? I'm using cyanogenmod.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I'm kind of surprised at the amount of minimalist desktops people are using. Do you guys really prefer sifting through the app drawer as opposed to using folders or shortcuts on the desktop?

I went for the minimalist desktop once and by the fourth time I had to open the app drawer and search through dozens of icons I about lost it.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of minimalist desktops people are using. Do you guys really prefer sifting through the app drawer as opposed to using folders or shortcuts on the desktop?

My LP dock contains 30 different program links via clicking or swiping so I never really need to open the drawer. You can stuff more in the dock with Apps Organizer too if you want.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

GIMMEL posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the status bar transparent? I'm using cyanogenmod.

If you make statusbar_background.png in your framework.res transparent it might work. But your notification icons might look funny because there's a gradient built in to a lot of them.

edit- here's a simple tutorial http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=808749

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

God Exists. posted:

My LP dock contains 30 different program links via clicking or swiping so I never really need to open the drawer. You can stuff more in the dock with Apps Organizer too if you want.

Ok...but all that swiping and/or clicking is just as much work as opening the app drawer. It's a lot easier for me to have my most used programs on one of my three desktops, At most, it's one swipe and one click. Not three swipes through my dock, then a swipe up, then a click, then do the hokey-pokey...but you didn't have to open the app drawer, so I guess you win!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ok...but all that swiping and/or clicking is just as much work as opening the app drawer. It's a lot easier for me to have my most used programs on one of my three desktops, At most, it's one swipe and one click. Not three swipes through my dock, then a swipe up, then a click, then do the hokey-pokey...but you didn't have to open the app drawer, so I guess you win!

The dock has 3 'screens,' so it's at most one swipe and a click or a swipe to launch, giving you 30 actions just as easily while looking way nicer. It's literally just as easy but much nicer looking.

Combine that with folder organizer and desktop visualizer and you have some really nice looking shortcuts to "folders" as well.

big mean giraffe fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 11, 2010

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's just personal preference, dude, chill out.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

or maybe a lot of us don't have 100 lovely apps installed.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sounds like not many people use the "long press Home to show recently used apps" thing, huh? I don't use it much myself.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I only use Opera Mini and Aldiko frequently enough to actually have icons out for them. Mail and texts come in notifications and I can search by contact to send out a text. Quick calendar shows my events whenever I check my notifications. I have a swipe gesture to open an app on each of my dock apps and I still don't use them. Hell I even have my infrequently used apps filtered out in my app list.

Gooofy
Apr 19, 2008
My current desktop.

I'm currently in the process of changing all the icons on my system to BUUF.

http://mattahan.deviantart.com/gallery/#Desktop-Customization

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sounds like not many people use the "long press Home to show recently used apps" thing, huh? I don't use it much myself.

Also you can use the search button to search for apps. Most of the time the app you are looking for comes up at top after typing just 2 letters.

P-niiice
May 21, 2001

I have you now.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I use it all the time.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I use a ton. Say you open a browser while in another app to check something, how do you get back to the first app you were in?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Minimalist 4 lyfe.

This is just my primary homescreen though. Not shown are three others, LP Contacts (resized to 4x2) and LP Messenger (4x2) on the right, 4 Astrid widgets on the left, and 4x4 LP Calendar left of that. I have three docks, the middle one is shown, shortcut for music, video, and Angry Birds to the right and 4 shortcuts to email etc on the left. It is faster than opening the app drawer all the time because you pick which icon sits where and it doesn't change, the app drawer changes locations (not by much granted but an icon can move to the next row which makes it on the opposite side of where it used to be) when you install new stuff and is only ever alphabetical. Not so convenient for, say, Video. I can open stuff on my LP dock without even looking half the time.

Also I use the long-press home for recently used stuff all the time. And of course just opening notifications when they come in. Overall though, everything I need most of the time is on the main LP dock or on one of my 4 homescreens. I primarily use my phone for calls, messages, email, scheduling/tasks, music, Angry Birds, and sometimes Dungeon Hunter. That's all I want at the moment. I don't tweet, I rarely Facebook and my primary interaction with it is through email; I don't do much else with my phone (well Navigation or Maps while travelling, but I don't travel a lot).

I think it's worth noting that I don't use any shortcuts on my computer's desktop either. I find the clutter distracting.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Remmiz posted:

I use a ton. Say you open a browser while in another app to check something, how do you get back to the first app you were in?
Personally, I'm not "in an app" very much, and those that I'm in are pretty few and are handled by widgets, the (Launcher Pro) dock, and the notification bar (for, say, streamers).

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Does anyone know of a battery percentage app that displays in the notification bar like WeatherBug's temp, not an overlay from CM? I want to see if I can get rid of that battery widget.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fiannaiocht posted:

Does anyone know of a battery percentage app that displays in the notification bar like WeatherBug's temp, not an overlay from CM? I want to see if I can get rid of that battery widget.

You can try that UOT kitchen and see if you like one of their battery indicators for status bar http://circle.glx.nl/

edit: oops, you said notification bar, thought you meant status bar.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 12, 2010

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

landis posted:

Minimalist 4 lyfe.

Hey, I like that background, and the dock... And the dock icons. Mind sharing? ;-*

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

landis posted:

Minimalist 4 lyfe.

What's the weather widget, precious?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mutata posted:

What's the weather widget, precious?
Looks like Beautiful Widgets' Beautiful Weather 1x1 widget with the FlatWhite weather skin.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks like Beautiful Widgets' Beautiful Weather 1x1 widget with the FlatWhite weather skin.

Oh sweet. I have Beautiful Widgets, but apparently it needed a manual update. Got it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toanek
Feb 21, 2008

It's a fiesta of personal triumph!
Ok I think I'm happy with this now

left: pure calendar
center: desktop visualizer and some photoshop
right(homescreen): typo clock, beautiful widgets (weather), battstatt, and an app i made to put black behind widgets

dock is launcher pro plus

background

• Locked thread