Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Yep, it is, and you can get onto the central islands. Are you sure you found the gap? I think you have to be on one of the top paths to get onto the water. That lily pad is kind of weird with the way it follows you from screen to screen. The only way I've found to get rid of it is throw it until it dies.

Wasn't that Natume thing a purposeful affectation? If it was, I hope they stopped using it because everyone told them to come on. Because come on.

The lily pad is pretty much the best MS ever, I think. Something I noticed: While you're riding the lily pad, paralyzation doesn't affect you! In order for the movement debuff to kick in, the lily pad itself has to be paralyzed, which can only happen when you're not riding it as far as I can tell.

I also enjoy the idea of zooming around town on a giant floating leaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Just finished the 'plot', as it were. The last boss was a bitch and a half, but I think I was pretty underleveled. I was level 48, and its attacks just did so much damage that I had to heal almost every time I got hit so I got the feeling I was brute forcing it at a much lower level than I should have been. Luckily I hoarded a lot of food drops from treasure chests and made a bunch of recovery potions before going in so I managed to pull it off after a couple of wipes. Out of curiosity, the game mentions four dragons, is the final boss fixed or does it change based on which girl you propose to? I fought Aquarius.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Thanks, I was actually using the wrong magic seed, got 'water lily' confused with 'lily pad'. I finally unlocked the right seed and got to the central islands and got owned by a giant nautilus. Good times.

e: What is a good monster to raise for fighting? I got an onionheaded ghost thing who can 1-hit KO anything in the spring dungeon at level 1, but of course he's poo poo anywhere else. I'm guessing I'll have to go to the winter dungeon, but there's so much to choose from and get murdered by.

e2: Is there any guide that explains why some requests just disappear from the lists? There are some, like Raven's 'choose from free items' request, that I didn't get to do in time and it vanished entirely. I suspect they are based on either seasons or dungeons, but it might be due to friendship level too. Freyashawk doesn't mention it though, and the fogu board is full of annoying whiny jerks so I don't wanna trawl through it.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 19, 2010

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Grozz Nuy posted:

Just finished the 'plot', as it were. The last boss was a bitch and a half, but I think I was pretty underleveled. I was level 48, and its attacks just did so much damage that I had to heal almost every time I got hit so I got the feeling I was brute forcing it at a much lower level than I should have been. Luckily I hoarded a lot of food drops from treasure chests and made a bunch of recovery potions before going in so I managed to pull it off after a couple of wipes. Out of curiosity, the game mentions four dragons, is the final boss fixed or does it change based on which girl you propose to? I fought Aquarius.

That boss was a piece of cake for me, but I was level... 69, I think. Being on holidays rules. Who did you propose to? I fought the same boss and proposed to Carmen.

The endgame dialogue was kind of strange. She didn't want to marry you because you were part monster but then she did again? It was never a problem before. I feel like I missed some fundamental message about the Power of Love.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I chose Pia, she was easy because her favorite gift is Squid and her character design at least makes her look older than 12. That's... not exactly my favorite thing about Harvest Moon games, but I'm sure that territory's been covered plenty in this thread. I feel like if the final boss does depend on which girl you pick, it would make sense for both Carmen and Pia to have the water dragon.

Also, the endgame dialogue made even less sense for me considering my choice, for obvious reasons.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 19, 2010

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Should I play rune factory frontier? Is it better than RF3?

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

The endgame dialogue was kind of strange. She didn't want to marry you because you were part monster but then she did again? It was never a problem before. I feel like I missed some fundamental message about the Power of Love.

I think in that dialogue she was being semi-mind-controlled by Aquaticus, because the dude's a dick. That's how I read it, at least.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

TescoBag posted:

Should I play rune factory frontier? Is it better than RF3?

Depends on what you want from the game. RFF has more content over-all (at least that's my feeling) but the gameplay is worse. It also has the terrible runey system which you need a cheat device to deactivate.

About the boss:
I'm pretty sure the end boss is always the same. You beat up the other guys in RF1+2 and probably the last one in RF4.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

FrickenMoron posted:

About the boss:
I'm pretty sure the end boss is always the same. You beat up the other guys in RF1+2 and probably the last one in RF4.

Ah. I skipped 2 and never actually finished the first game so I didn't know that. My urge to play Harvest Moon games is very fickle and sporadic, it usually only happens once every couple of years.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah you beat up the fire dragon Fiersome in RF2 to get your daddy back.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

CaptainRat posted:

I beat it the first time, it's really not all that hard. Run into as many brown beans as possible, run into green when there aren't any brown, avoid the failed dishes, and remember that although you run as fast as the beans themselves normally, you can usually double-tap to catch up to them. I got 6500 points and won pretty handily.

I just started a new game, I felt like I screwed up a lot of things and was only up to first Summer anyway. I remember first time I won this pretty much straight away, once I realised that getting hit by a failed dish pretty much wrecks your chances instantly. But playing it again now, I am cannot get past 3rd place. :psyduck: It's driving me bats. I'm a completionist, I must get that stupid pointless trophy!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Twin Villages is pretty much amazing.

I have no idea how someone said earlier that it's hard to make money in konohana. The une system for watering plants lets you mass produce from day 1 (although I wish the une tutorial started earlier since I hosed up half my land by that time and had to wait for the hammer to fix it). I had a massive potato production field by day 15.

Milk and eggs on the other hand sell for piddly amounts.

Things that own:
- Autorunning "aims" itself while traversing the mountains, like if the road is slanting up, autorunning to the left will go at that angle, so you can run through the whole mountain just holding L if you're just passing through.
- Stacking up to at least 99 (well most I had was 34 of one thing, I assume it goes to 99)
- Cooking as many copies at once (if you have 20 potatoes you can cook 20 potato dishes at once)
- Four cooking competitions a month
- Scavenger hunt/fetch quests for villagers from a bulletin board (often with funny dialog)
- Unintended (?) whities vs japanese racism war is the main story
- You can jump throw chickens really far
- Massive upgradable horse wagon to store your poo poo in and you can hook up to your horse and carry around, also connected to your chest at home (seriously convenient)
- Huge recipe list and you can customize various recipes with improvements
- Alpacas (god I want an alpaca already)

Things that suck:
- Items have different quality levels and freshness levels, and they do not stack if either are different (I end up selling everything lower than the highest/freshest stack)
- I can't think of anything else I hate in this game, not even L-running

I also found a piece of silver just now from the foraging spot in the cliff - sells for 4500g. Can't wait to start mining, whenever that is! edit: lol japanese wiki says mining is on year 5 or 6 and to just forget about it for now, guess I'm in for the long run

Zo fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 19, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Corridor posted:

e2: Is there any guide that explains why some requests just disappear from the lists? There are some, like Raven's 'choose from free items' request, that I didn't get to do in time and it vanished entirely. I suspect they are based on either seasons or dungeons, but it might be due to friendship level too. Freyashawk doesn't mention it though, and the fogu board is full of annoying whiny jerks so I don't wanna trawl through it.

Those are random and repeatable quests, not related to the story.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Zo posted:

Things that own:
- Autorunning "aims" itself while traversing the mountains, like if the road is slanting up, autorunning to the left will go at that angle, so you can run through the whole mountain just holding L if you're just passing through.

This is a great thing, because everyone will spend a lot of time running between villages. But it's not so bad, because you can hold L and brush your teeth at the same time (this is how I play most Harvest Moon games).

Zo posted:

- Alpacas (god I want an alpaca already)

They're very cute, but the little bastards jump around when they're happy and can be very hard to catch to brush/shear! Their wool sells for a lot, which is nice.

Can you clarify about the mining? I didn't think there was an actual mine, unless you mean just getting stuff from the tunnel after you reconcile the villages. Oh, and if you didn't already know, you should save any ore you find randomly for Airin's requests. I got hosed because I thought it was junk and shipped it for diddly, only to realise:
1. you need it to build things
2. you can hammer it for other ore/gems

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Can you clarify about the mining? I didn't think there was an actual mine, unless you mean just getting stuff from the tunnel after you reconcile the villages. Oh, and if you didn't already know, you should save any ore you find randomly for Airin's requests. I got hosed because I thought it was junk and shipped it for diddly, only to realise:
1. you need it to build things
2. you can hammer it for other ore/gems

I have no idea on the details of mining, was just glancing through the FAQ/bug sections. Like now I know to NEVER EVER put more than 99 of chicken/animal feed in the storehouse because when it pops out in your barn, other things in your storehouse will get bugged, so you can lose your hoe forever for example, and you might not even know if you didn't check it before you went to bed and saved... which is a death sentence on your save.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

My copy of RF3 finally came in the mail yesterday and I'm about halfway through spring. Anyone further in figured how much wood I need to hoard for house upgrades and whatnot? I don't want to end up plowing my entire field and screw myself over in wood resources like I did in previous games. :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Save everything you can, the forge costs like 120 and the storage box extension a whole 160. One stump gives 12 wood, so it's not too bad.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

yellowcar posted:

My copy of RF3 finally came in the mail yesterday and I'm about halfway through spring. Anyone further in figured how much wood I need to hoard for house upgrades and whatnot? I don't want to end up plowing my entire field and screw myself over in wood resources like I did in previous games. :v:

You've got a pretty huge field in this one, but I haven't run into any huge wood requirements yet. I have all the upgrades, and I've been able to afford them more or less as they came up, except for the third and fourth barn, and the fridge expansion.

Maybe 1000 wood altogether? I'm only on fall (both the season and dungeon) of the first year, though.

edit: What I'm saying is that you're not locked out of anything until you collect 10,000 wood, like some games.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

You should attack a stump or cluster of sticks anytime you see one and have a bit of time and RP to spare. That's given me pretty much just as much wood as I've needed for the upgrades so far.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

yellowcar posted:

Double bed is 80 wood, bookshelf (which is not very useful unless you use a lot of magic) is 120 wood, bigger storage box is 160 wood. Your monster barn also costs wood to build/upgrade, but not very much. There's much less wood grinding than in most HM games, I found.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

There's much less wood grinding than in most HM games, I found.

Yeah thanks guys. The wood grind wasn't as bad as I thought. I've already bought most of the upgrades and a barn except for storage expansion. Funny thing is, I was running low on gold before I was running low on wood. This is the first time of this happening ever for me in a HM game. :v:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Jesus some of the accessorys are game breaking. At least the one that doubles skill gains is made from semi-rare materials. I just knitted a scarf from poo poo obtained entirely from woolies that sets RP expenditure to zero.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Stroth posted:

At least the one that doubles skill gains is made from semi-rare materials.

Or you can get it for free from Raven, as part of her storyline. :v:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Carmen and Carlos on Beach Day:

:j: "Carlos is always showing off to the girls in bikinis in Beach Day, it's so embarrassing!"
:v: ":sweatdrop:"

:cool: "Yeah, today I get to show off my manly pecs! The girls can't help falling for me, haha!"
:v: "Oh, so that's it... :keke:"
:cool: "Hey don't you be looking at all those girls in bikinis bro! :mad: Look at me!"

Also...

"Bro... you actually knew my birthday... :shobon: this is the best day ever!"

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So. I got RF3 and even though I don't really know what the hell is going on, what the hell I'm doing, or why the hell everyone in this town is a goddamn loon, it's pretty fun.

I already kind of love Gaius the hobbiest smithy. (Seriously guys, he doesn't want to be a master metal worker or anything. He just does it for kicks. All day. Until he passes out.)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

endolithic posted:

I already kind of love Gaius the hobbiest smithy. (Seriously guys, he doesn't want to be a master metal worker or anything. He just does it for kicks. All day. Until he passes out.)

Raven has to hide all his working materials so he'd get some sleep, otherwise he'd just keep on truckin'. And the moment you take the hammer out of his hand he passes out immediately.

KoffeeKup
Oct 13, 2010
I absolutely loved this game on the Nintendo 64! I'm just sad that I don't own any Nintendo game systems at the moment so I will be completely left out of the fun. There really is nothing like this game. So fun and addictive. I think I might actually get a Nintendo DSI just for this game.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hold on, it just kinda sunk in that the hero of RF3 is 'half human and half monster'. So uh... he's basically what emerged after his dad hosed a sheep?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Corridor posted:

Hold on, it just kinda sunk in that the hero of RF3 is 'half human and half monster'. So uh... he's basically what emerged after his dad hosed a sheep?

It's a race, not a hybrid. The flashback when he remembers how to transform mentions that his mom could do it to.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 20, 2010

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Daria told me I'd make a great wife. I think she likes me :3:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Is there a hard mode for RF3 or anything?- my fear is that I'll wind up overleveling too much for the dungeons and make it an easy rollfest.

Also, the game feels much faster than RF2- played like 4 hours yesterday (long plane rides) and I've already beaten the spring dungeon and gotten a lot of people to 2-3 friend/loveship. Then again I was stuck grinding love points forever in RF2.

Edit: I have no idea what to think about Pia- she's like equally :3: and :psyduck: at the exact same time

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

^^^^^There is for combat. You may already be on it if you told Shara the monsters you fought in the tutorial were a piece of cake. (Basically, if you fought one orc, then two orcs, then three orcs in the tutorial, you're already on hard mode.) You can check and change the setting in the Trophy Room using the book in the upper right-hand corner.

Stroth posted:

Jesus some of the accessorys are game breaking. At least the one that doubles skill gains is made from semi-rare materials. I just knitted a scarf from poo poo obtained entirely from woolies that sets RP expenditure to zero.
Note that that effect only affects certain things.
Free: Damaging spells.
Still costs RP: Forging, Crafting, Cooking. Weapon Abilities.
Uncertain: Healing spells. General weapon and tool usage. Charging weapons and tools.

Tesla was right posted:

Daria told me I'd make a great wife. I think she likes me :3:
Or ships you with Carlos. :sissies:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Giant Boy Detective posted:

^^^^^There is for combat. You may already be on it if you told Shara the monsters you fought in the tutorial were a piece of cake. (Basically, if you fought one orc, then two orcs, then three orcs in the tutorial, you're already on hard mode.) You can check and change the setting in the Trophy Room using the book in the upper right-hand corner.

Note that that effect only affects certain things.
Free: Damaging spells.
Still costs RP: Forging, Crafting, Cooking. Weapon Abilities.
Uncertain: Healing spells. General weapon and tool usage. Charging weapons and tools.

Or ships you with Carlos. :sissies:

Oh man thanks- I said they were strong because I thought Shara would like me more- now I can make the game hard :3

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Dragongem posted:

Is there a hard mode for RF3 or anything?- my fear is that I'll wind up overleveling too much for the dungeons and make it an easy rollfest.

Also, the game feels much faster than RF2- played like 4 hours yesterday (long plane rides) and I've already beaten the spring dungeon and gotten a lot of people to 2-3 friend/loveship. Then again I was stuck grinding love points forever in RF2.

Edit: I have no idea what to think about Pia- she's like equally :3: and :psyduck: at the exact same time

You can set the difficulty to hard in the trophy room, also if you say the monsters are easy at the beginning that sets the game to hard.

E: Helps if you refresh before you post.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I just started RF3 and have been super impressed with it so far, it's got a much more focused feel to everything than HM or even RF2 had (at the outset at least). The next HM/RF thread should really just be called RAINBOW!!!!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Pyronic posted:

The next HM/RF thread should really just be called RAINBOW!!!!

I'M GONNA BITE YOU.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Unless all the subsequent harvest moons are going to have all the streamlining/shortcuts in Twin Villages I think I'm spoiled :(

- You can throw chickens from inside the barn out the door, or from outside into the barndoor as well, without actually changing screens. You can push cows through too without changing screens of course.
- Quick popup for all your equipment to equip. One button to de-equip it as well.
- Press A at the shipment box and it opens your inventory, and you can decide what to ship and ship it all at once.
- Une system! Watering up to 20 squares at once, laid out however you want, absolutely owns.

I'm also really liking how time doesn't stop when you're inside a building or checking your inventory/storage. With all the interface streamlining you actually end up with way more free time than FotM or other HM games, but the game feels a lot smoother overall. Menus and conversations still stop time though, because you need a way to pause and some people might read slow. All in all very well designed.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'M GONNA BITE YOU.

I'm a bath!

Also: RF3 is going to spoil me on all Harvest Moons now. It's like they understand what everyone's annoyances are and made the game to remove them. Picking up 9 objects at once is the best thing ever and any HM that doesn't have it is horrible

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Gaining LP/FP is easier overall but the first impression is a bit wrong I think. It's getting slower the higher the FP/LP are. After much back and forth I finally decided to marry Raven. I'm a bit disappointed that your wife is almost never at home, but maybe that will change after some time. It's not that important anyways because of the "accompany" system.

Overall RF3 is easily the best entry in the series yet, the town feels so much more alive with everyone running about doing their own business instead of just standing around in fixed spots for 3 hours and then magically teleporting somewhere else. Also the first RF where your wife actually sleeps in the bed and doesn't stare at you the whole night. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How's RF3 so far?
Have they fixed the horrific slowdown when three or more people are on screen from RF2?

• Locked thread