Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Mister Macys posted:

How's RF3 so far?
Have they fixed the horrific slowdown when three or more people are on screen from RF2?
Yep, now you need at least 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Mister Macys posted:

How's RF3 so far?
Have they fixed the horrific slowdown when three or more people are on screen from RF2?

Sort of. It can still slow down pretty bad but it needs more than 3 people. Probably more like 6 or so.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
So I just did the Shara/Monica requests for the "Rose Prince". It's incredibly :3: but I did them after reading that awful GameFAQs quote where some guy wishes Monica was a bachelorette.

Basically the request is Shara asks you to help Monica trust people and not bite them. You dress us as the 'Rose Prince' from her favorite fairytale and take her out on a mock-date. At the end, Monica gives you a kiss and stops being a brat for the rest of the game, blushing and offering to cook your favourite foods when you talk to her.

It's really cute in-game but all I could think of was that loving gameFAQs post and it added a really disturbing undertone to the whole scene.

In an unrelated note, has anyone got married yet? Do the bachelorettes do the creepy Stepford Wife thing like in RF2 where they all have the same sappy dialogue after marriage, or do they actually keep their personalities?

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN
Just beat RF3... and now I'm tempted to start a new game. Try and see how fast I can finish the game. I'm pretty sure you can finish by the end of the first summer.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

naptalan posted:

Basically the request is Shara asks you to help Monica trust people and not bite them. You dress us as the 'Rose Prince' from her favorite fairytale and take her out on a mock-date. At the end, Monica gives you a kiss and stops being a brat for the rest of the game, blushing and offering to cook your favourite foods when you talk to her.

"Hey this kid doesn't trust you, so just make her develop a hopeless and confused romantic devotion to you, problem solved!" Hell why not just feed her a love potion to shut her up. :psyduck: Honestly this sounds kinda messed up even without the creep factor of GameFAQs.

e: You can actually invite Monica along with you 'to play' before this happens, she goes "Okay! :mad:" and tags along. I don't think she fights but if you talk to her while her health is high she insists "I'm still fine! :mad:" And when you dismiss her she goes "Hmph!" It's pretty cute. I don't think I want to lose sulky crosspatch Monica.

quote:

In an unrelated note, has anyone got married yet? Do the bachelorettes do the creepy Stepford Wife thing like in RF2 where they all have the same sappy dialogue after marriage, or do they actually keep their personalities?

I also want to know this. Rosalind was the obvious choice in RF2 because she was the only one as insane after marriage as before it, if there's something similar here then I want to know who to go for. :mad:

Otherwise I'll marry Daria because I love her voice actor.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 21, 2010

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

naptalan posted:

So I just did the Shara/Monica requests for the "Rose Prince". It's incredibly :3: but I did them after reading that awful GameFAQs quote where some guy wishes Monica was a bachelorette.

It's really cute in-game but all I could think of was that loving gameFAQs post and it added a really disturbing undertone to the whole scene.

Pretty sure they keep their personalities. Carmen punches me for tuning out her gossip spiel and talks about fishing a bunch. I could be wrong, though, since I've only beaten the game once. Working on a second, though.

Mister Macys posted:

How's RF3 so far?

Take RF2, and make everything (everything) better.

That's RF3.

UberChair fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 21, 2010

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I'm playing through RF3 and I'm enjoying it a lot, though I haven't played any of the other ones. How different are the previous games? Is RF3 a refinement of the previous games, or are there enough different things that I'd still get as much enjoyment out of some of the previous ones as I do out of RF3?

Sounds like RF2 might be similar but not as good. What about RFF?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh yeah and

Pyronic posted:

The next HM/RF thread should really just be called RAINBOW!!!!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'M GONNA BITE YOU.

Dragongem posted:

I'm a bath!

I'm pretty sold on "HELLO! HELLO! SO TINY!"

e: oh and "I guess amnesiacs are a dime a dozen around these parts"

Corridor fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 21, 2010

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The girls definitely stay the same after marriage. The overall feeling is much better than in in previous RF games. They don't stare at you creepily while waking up and so far it seems your wife has different comments when you hang out a lot with other girls, when you don't talk to her for a few days or when you buy new stuff from Evelyn etc.

I can only hope Oceans and RF4 (one dragon is still left after all!) are going to be at least as good as this one.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I've played about 2 hours of RF3 today, up till the end of Spring. It's much better than RF2 was, it's faster paced and there isn't the whole "you have to play the game over again, but better this time!(" aspect that just dragged the game out past it's welcome. I like how I don't have to micromanage seed levels of my crops and how you can pick up stacks of items.

I don't have an option to install a forge, apparently I need to do some requests? I've already beaten the raccoon and there isn't any info on gamefaqs despite being the #2 DS game.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I think you need to beat the raccoon and also visit the desert village (by transforming into a Wooly). After that, when you head back to your house you'll have the upper level and you can visit Gaius to get the forge.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Is anyone else overwhelmed with HM? I mean, a new game comes out every 6 months with new characters, different gameplay mechanics and a new story and each game has 5 to 20 marriage candidates. That's a freakish amount of replay value.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

naptalan posted:

I think you need to beat the raccoon and also visit the desert village (by transforming into a Wooly). After that, when you head back to your house you'll have the upper level and you can visit Gaius to get the forge.

I just did this and you need to go to the other village and speak to everyone there first. When you get back you can buy the forge/pharmacy/workshop

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lareine posted:

Is anyone else overwhelmed with HM? I mean, a new game comes out every 6 months with new characters, different gameplay mechanics and a new story and each game has 5 to 20 marriage candidates. That's a freakish amount of replay value.

I tried both Grand Bazaar and Sunshine Islands, and just hated some of the gameplay tweaks, which prevented me from getting big into the games. In fact, I sold GB back to Gamestop (got like 20 bucks for it, and I think I payed 30ish originally), which sat in my wallet until Rune Factory 3 came out. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but in my mind, I think I'm pretty much over vanilla Harvest Moon for a while. None of the recent games have done much for me - I don't know if I don't find the characters interesting, or maybe I'm turned off by the BS in Bazaar where you have to talk to a villager for like three days straight before they accept a gift - I dunno, it all feels so tedious.

And that's the glory of RF3. I mean, there are still a bunch of annoyances, but progress has been made. Crafting is still unforgivably tedious (why can't I make 9 formula c's at once, dammit!?), but I don't have to deluge villagers with gifts for them to like me. Honestly, I think I gave Shara 5 flowers total, and she was at 10 hearts by early winter. The other villagers were at 7 at the lowest, all from talking to them and fulfilling their quests.

But to answer your question, I think I'd be overwhelmed by Harvest Moon if the recent entries other than Rune Factory piqued my interest. The buzz in this thread around Twin Villages certainly has me interested, but I swear to God, if they pull that crap about having to chat up each villager for days at a time before they accept gifts, I won't pick it up no matter how good the remainder of the gameplay is.

You know, I replayed Harvest Moon 64 recently, and really enjoyed it. It has a more mature feel to it: I mean, there's an alcoholic father with an enabling wife, and a daughter who will run away from home if you don't befriend her. People congregate at a bar at night to drink away their sorrows, where they let things slip that otherwise they'd keep secret. An old woman even dies right in front of you. If the main HM series wanted to return to something like this, a more more grounded approach, I'd be all for it. Let Rune Factory be the insane animu dungeon farmer, and take the overly-cutsey stuff out of Harvest Moon. It's a thought at least.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

An old woman even dies right in front of you.

Haha, I completely forgot about that. I can't believe they really added that to the game. I was probably something like 10 years old when I played that game. I got up to year 10 or so and then gave up.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

I've played about 2 hours of RF3 today, up till the end of Spring. It's much better than RF2 was, it's faster paced and there isn't the whole "you have to play the game over again, but better this time!(" aspect that just dragged the game out past it's welcome. I like how I don't have to micromanage seed levels of my crops and how you can pick up stacks of items.

I don't have an option to install a forge, apparently I need to do some requests? I've already beaten the raccoon and there isn't any info on gamefaqs despite being the #2 DS game.

I think you gotta go to the desert, and then the options show up. Not sure, though.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Shnooks posted:

Haha, I completely forgot about that. I can't believe they really added that to the game. I was probably something like 10 years old when I played that game. I got up to year 10 or so and then gave up.

I'd have been 11 or 12, myself. Playing Harvest Moon 64 and Ogre Battle 64 at that age was a hell of a departure from Super Mario Bros 3 and the Sonic trilogy on Genesis.

Look what I found!

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

drat. I only had the PS1 Harvest Moon, and I never saw that.

I picked up RF3 today, and it needs to last me till January. Is there enough stuff to do that I can start playing now? If not, I can keep playing DQ IX instead.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

ZarathustraFollower posted:

drat. I only had the PS1 Harvest Moon, and I never saw that.

I picked up RF3 today, and it needs to last me till January. Is there enough stuff to do that I can start playing now? If not, I can keep playing DQ IX instead.

If you really take your time, this can last you well through January. I poured a ton of time into it in the last 2 weeks, and just beat it, but had I done everyone's requests and done more farming and forging, it would have extended the time much longer. It really depends on how you play, and how much time you have to play in a week - if you play like 10 hours a week, and spend plenty of time wooing the women, getting to know the villagers, cooking, fishing, growing crops, and crafting weapons/items/medicine, then yeah, RF3 will rest comfortably in your DS until January.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Pia's request line is the most :3: thing. "It's SQUEEZING TIME!" I like Pia.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I'd like to get back on the wagon and play some with my girlfriend, so here's the question: between the Wii and the DS, do the latest games let you keep multiple save files? I'd probably be choosing between RF3 and RF Frontier, from what I've seen they'd be the ones closest to what I'm looking for. Playing together wouldn't be a problem but having the separate saves would just be nice for feeling "this is all mine."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

threelemmings posted:

I'd like to get back on the wagon and play some with my girlfriend, so here's the question: between the Wii and the DS, do the latest games let you keep multiple save files? I'd probably be choosing between RF3 and RF Frontier, from what I've seen they'd be the ones closest to what I'm looking for. Playing together wouldn't be a problem but having the separate saves would just be nice for feeling "this is all mine."

RF3 has two save slots.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I beat the game, married Raven. What is there left to do now? I'm absolutely swimming in cash.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Revol posted:

I beat the game, married Raven. What is there left to do now? I'm absolutely swimming in cash.

Nothing really except beating the extra bosses from earlier games in the labyrinth dungeons. I really wish they could have fleshed out the story a bit more, but meh. Let's hope Oceans/RF4 will be on the longer side again.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

FrickenMoron posted:

Nothing really except beating the extra bosses from earlier games in the labyrinth dungeons. I really wish they could have fleshed out the story a bit more, but meh. Let's hope Oceans/RF4 will be on the longer side again.

It also needs to be harder to make money. I made it to the end of Winter Year 1 with over a million in cash, and that was after completely skipping Summer farming because I was getting raped by storms.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Don't use "rape" that way, tia.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Seriously though, those storms are something fierce.

HeroComplex
Jan 1, 2005

Why do I keep doing this to myself?
Is it just me or is it a huge pain in the rear end to actually harvest your fields? I made the mistake of filling both of them with multiple harvest plants and it takes like 7 in game hours just to put green peppers and yams in the drat box.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I usually don't take more than 2-3 hours even with a full field. RFF was much worse in that regard, picking up a single crop took over 2 seconds.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

HeroComplex posted:

Is it just me or is it a huge pain in the rear end to actually harvest your fields? I made the mistake of filling both of them with multiple harvest plants and it takes like 7 in game hours just to put green peppers and yams in the drat box.

That seems a bit excessive. Are you being efficient and picking up full stacks before putting them in your bag, then taking them all at once to the box?

Also, I -think- you can get your animals to harvest for you if they have the energy, but I'd hate to miss out on the rune sprites and new seeds.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I'd have been 11 or 12, myself. Playing Harvest Moon 64 and Ogre Battle 64 at that age was a hell of a departure from Super Mario Bros 3 and the Sonic trilogy on Genesis.

Look what I found!

Holy hell this didn't make it into FoMT.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Ka0 posted:

Holy hell this didn't make it into FoMT.

Probably because FoMT was practically a straight-up port of Back to Nature, which used most of the same cast from HM64 but in a different town and with some roles swapped around and a different story. (Well, as far as different underlying plots in the HM games get, anyway.)

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Don't forget that you can throw your items like a football, stacks included. One time I was in a rush to give Daria her daily gift as she was about to walk off-screen, I chucked a stack of red grass at her and the rest of it bounced right back into my hands. :cool: I also pulled a "think-fast" moment on Carmen when I returned her knife by throwing it at her for one of her bulletin requests. :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

yellowcar posted:

I also pulled a "think-fast" moment on Carmen when I returned her knife by throwing it at her for one of her bulletin requests. :v:

Image very much related.

Is there any way to level up crafting somewhat quickly in the 70s? in RFF I'd just grind 30 level 20 scarves and gain 6 levels in the process even in the 80s. Not so lucky here, even with tons of upgrades and the heart pendant it levels really slowly.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Was it here that someone said hurricanes in RF3 end by late summer? Because they don't. I just hit day one of my first fall and I was super pumped my crops wouldn't explode at random. I spent an entire day filling my field and by evening - oh, what's that? It's raining? I turn around and half of my newly planted crops are gone. :gonk: They didn't even last a minute.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

There's a weapon in RF3 called Safety Lance.

Description: You can lance if you want to, you can leave your fears behind.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yellowcar posted:

I also pulled a "think-fast" moment on Carmen when I returned her knife by throwing it at her for one of her bulletin requests. :v:

I like to throw rocks at that old douchebag who runs the flower shop.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

"I want to drag you out to the wilderness and let the monsters have their way with you! Repeatedly."

drat Sofia, I didn't know you liked me that way. :v:

Edit: By the by, why do people keep walking into my house? They don't give me the things their holding or have new dialog. They just stand there, chillin' in my house. Stop taunting me with your copper, Gaius! :argh:

tudabee fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 23, 2010

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

drat, the second boss was way harder than something I expected from this game. I managed to win, but only because I had some restoration potions on me.

That, and crafting has really pulled me into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Man, this game reminds me of that one third world simulator, where no matter what you did you died poor and alone. Except instead of trying to bring the plight of 3rd world poor to the attention of unshaven nerds, here it is the plight of the uninsured farmer. I just lost over 20k in seeds I had just planted due to a single storm overnight. I am just glad the game doesn't do the whole setting the weather a week in advance like some of the more recent games have done, as I was able to save all but 4-5 plants by savescumming.

• Locked thread