Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Since this hasn't come up in here yet: Sprint's latest Evo software (which seems to have been shipping on most Evos since early November) is a BITCH to root. I was pretty sure I'd bricked my wife's new phone last night :v:

This guide is the way to go if you have one.

I've been on the fence about doing this for a while now. I'm guessing everything works fine on the EVO for you after this? Custom roms install and whatnot no problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep. At the end of it I ended up on a rooted stock ROM, and then immediately flashed to Fresh 3.4.0.1 (same as on my phone). The only real difference now between the two is that mine is using Rom Manager + Clockwork Recovery, while hers has what is apparently a modified Amon-RA Recovery; supposedly something changed on the latest revision of Evo regarding partitions and poo poo, so an unmodified recovery will try to write to the wrong areas and just freak out and fail.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EDIT 2:

So now that I'm all rooted and stuff I want to know, is there a good non-sense rom that has everything working? I'm looking at Cyanogenmod 6.1 RC but I'm not sure if a 0004 EVO would work fine on it. I'm alright with losing 4G but if it involves the camera then it's no dice.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 22, 2010

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Skeezy posted:

EDIT 2:

So now that I'm all rooted and stuff I want to know, is there a good non-sense rom that has everything working? I'm looking at Cyanogenmod 6.1 RC but I'm not sure if a 0004 EVO would work fine on it. I'm alright with losing 4G but if it involves the camera then it's no dice.
I don't think the camera works in CM on 0004 yet... once HTC releases the source for the 3.30 update it shouldn't take long to get fixed though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

datajosh posted:

I don't think the camera works in CM on 0004 yet... once HTC releases the source for the 3.30 update it shouldn't take long to get fixed though.

The thing about CM and 0004 is that I can't even get it to boot, it just stays on the white HTC EVO 4G splash screen.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am running the newest fresh release and I see I have a mandatory Voicemail update and it won't go away on the top of my screen from Sprint. Should I run the update for voicemail or will it break root and mess up my phone?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

fyallm posted:

I am running the newest fresh release and I see I have a mandatory Voicemail update and it won't go away on the top of my screen from Sprint. Should I run the update for voicemail or will it break root and mess up my phone?

I ran the update just fine, it doesn't break root or anything.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Skeezy posted:

I ran the update just fine, it doesn't break root or anything.

Hum, I just tried to update it and it kept failing, pressed retry 3 times and it never worked. Pressed the home key and the little voicemail icon went away at the top so no idea what happened. And when I open the Voicemail it says sorry there was a problem downloading the update.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I want to update my radio and see if it improves my signal in CM6.1

Can I just download the newest radio from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715485
and flash it? Or is this one of the things I need to flash a sprint rom and update?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

streetlamp posted:

I want to update my radio and see if it improves my signal in CM6.1

Can I just download the newest radio from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715485
and flash it? Or is this one of the things I need to flash a sprint rom and update?

You can flash the radio without switching to a sprint rom; however, you will not be able to update your PRL and profile in CM6. So you may not realize all the benefits of having the new radio until you flash the sprint rom to update them. This probably goes without saying, but be sure to backup your ROM so you can switch back to CM6 after you are done updating your PRL and profile.

brenz.dude
May 30, 2006

catbread, anyone?
So, after having my Droid X for about three months I finally rooted it, which is pretty much the best thing ever because I haven't had internet at my apartment in 2 years and tethering fixes that! However, when I enable access control and tell it to allow my computer it refuses to connect. Has anyone else run into this issue or am I just doing something stupid? Tethering works like a charm with access control disabled.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
I'm trying to flash my Epic back to stock and unroot it before I take it to the repair center to get the screen fixed. How do I go about doing this effectively? I have clockwork recovery on the device. There's this thread on xda-developers but the links to the actual utilities mentioned are broken. What am I supposed to do?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Concerning EVO ROM's, what is the concensus on the "best" (or at least general best) for now? I'm using Warm 2.2 now and while it's nice and all, it's just too much for what I want. I was on Fresh and with that the battery kept overheating.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Skeezy posted:

Concerning EVO ROM's, what is the concensus on the "best" (or at least general best) for now? I'm using Warm 2.2 now and while it's nice and all, it's just too much for what I want. I was on Fresh and with that the battery kept overheating.

If you like Sense, Fresh is generally considered the more popular one. I haven't had any battery overheating issues on 3.4.0.1, but everybody is different.

If you prefer a vanilla Android experience and 4G isn't a dealbreaker, CyanogenMod is worth a go.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
MIUI till I die

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

flyboi posted:

MIUI till I die

I'll probably give this another go tomorrow or something, do you use MIUI launcher or something else?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Skeezy posted:

I was on Fresh for a long time, but it was starting to feel way too stock for my liking. I switched to CM6 when RC1 came out, and I have been very happy since. I lost 4G, but frankly, I hardly ever used it because the connection was too inconsistent. The biggest benefit is that my battery life is way better in CM6. I can actually go over 24 hours without charging my phone now with light to moderate use.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

If you like Sense, Fresh is generally considered the more popular one. I haven't had any battery overheating issues on 3.4.0.1, but everybody is different.

If you prefer a vanilla Android experience and 4G isn't a dealbreaker, CyanogenMod is worth a go.

traslin posted:

I was on Fresh for a long time, but it was starting to feel way too stock for my liking. I switched to CM6 when RC1 came out, and I have been very happy since. I lost 4G, but frankly, I hardly ever used it because the connection was too inconsistent. The biggest benefit is that my battery life is way better in CM6. I can actually go over 24 hours without charging my phone now with light to moderate use.

I'd go with CM6 but it doesn't work on my EVO. Something to do with the 0004 hardware or something.

I'll look into MIUI I guess

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Casao posted:

I'll probably give this another go tomorrow or something, do you use MIUI launcher or something else?

I switch between MIUI launcher and Launcher Pro. I like it because it feels a lot more snappier than CM6 and I get the best battery life out of any other rom. 25% used and 17 hours since last unplugged at the moment.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Beet posted:

I'm trying to flash my Epic back to stock and unroot it before I take it to the repair center to get the screen fixed. How do I go about doing this effectively? I have clockwork recovery on the device. There's this thread on xda-developers but the links to the actual utilities mentioned are broken. What am I supposed to do?
I'm guessing the files were removed in the past day or two, since a new version of Odin and the Epic PIT file were posted. The new PIT file looks to be correct (the old version was actually slightly incorrect), but I've not tried the new Odin yet.

Anyways, download the new Odin & Epic PIT. Also download the DI18 stock files (link from this thread). Rename the stock file to SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar since the current name (w/.md5 at the end is incorrect).

From there you can follow the directions in the thread you posted. But basically, make sure you have the Galaxy S driver installed on Windows PC first (which you do if you use the same computer to root it, but if not, they're available from this thread). Then run Odin. Put the Epic in download mode (from off, 1+power). Connect the phone to the computer, verify Odin sees it. Select "victory_8G_100528.pit" as PIT, select SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar as PDA, make sure "Auto Reboot" and "DebugEn." are selected, but nothing else (e.g., "F. Reset Time") is. Then hit start.

Assuming you're running DI18 already, which you are if you applied all the OTA updates before rooting, I'd repackage that .tar file to include only "cache.rfs, datafs.rfs, factoryfs.rfs, param.lfs, recovery.bin, and zImage", i.e., leave "boot.bin, modem.bin, Sbl.bin" out. This way you're only reflashing partitions modified by the rooting process and leaving the other ones untouched. The advantage is that if Odin fucks up part way you can always rerun Odin. Whereas if Odin fucks up in the wrong place of a full flash, you might be left with a bricked phone. But the likelihood of that happening is very small, so if you don't have the necessary tools to make tar files, it's probably not worth it.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

flyboi posted:

I switch between MIUI launcher and Launcher Pro. I like it because it feels a lot more snappier than CM6 and I get the best battery life out of any other rom. 25% used and 17 hours since last unplugged at the moment.

Are you using the stock kernel? My battery life is pretty good but I wouldn't say that performance feels snappier than CM6

Sanchless
Apr 23, 2006

Safe inside a safe.
I'm about to do a fresh reflash on my phone with a tweaked and updated ROM and I wanted to double check something.

If I do a full Nandroid backup, will it keep all my app settings (even down to like angry bird levels or launcherpro settings) and if I do a restore it doesn't interfere with anything in the new ROM?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sanchless posted:

I'm about to do a fresh reflash on my phone with a tweaked and updated ROM and I wanted to double check something.

If I do a full Nandroid backup, will it keep all my app settings (even down to like angry bird levels or launcherpro settings) and if I do a restore it doesn't interfere with anything in the new ROM?
Not sure if you're asking this but a nandroid will wipe out the new ROM entirely restoring the phone to exactly the state it was when you made it. It isn't selective.

That said, I have a question regarding Angry Birds that I'm hoping someone can answer: I did a full wipe when I went to CM6.1 and my Angry Birds progress was wiped. It was only then that I discovered that Titanium Backup doesn't have Angry Birds in the app list for me to even try to back up, and the progress apparently isn't saved to the SD card where I thought it would be.

Edit: My Google-fu was apparently weak-- Here's the answer for anyone interested. Curiously it also mentions TB as doing it and it definitely doesn't for me.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 23, 2010

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Can someone running MIUI on a Nexus One go to http://aljazeera.net/ on their phone and tell me if the arabic shaping displays correctly (letters should be connected in words)?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Trying MIUI again, really digging it a lot more this time.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

LastInLine posted:

Not sure if you're asking this but a nandroid will wipe out the new ROM entirely restoring the phone to exactly the state it was when you made it. It isn't selective.

That said, I have a question regarding Angry Birds that I'm hoping someone can answer: I did a full wipe when I went to CM6.1 and my Angry Birds progress was wiped. It was only then that I discovered that Titanium Backup doesn't have Angry Birds in the app list for me to even try to back up, and the progress apparently isn't saved to the SD card where I thought it would be.

Edit: My Google-fu was apparently weak-- Here's the answer for anyone interested. Curiously it also mentions TB as doing it and it definitely doesn't for me.

TB saved my Angry Birds stuff. Are you looking under com.rovio.angrybirds* ?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I had TB missing out some apps, I hit problems? and reinstalled the busybox. That sorted it for me.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Ashex posted:

Can someone running MIUI on a Nexus One go to http://aljazeera.net/ on their phone and tell me if the arabic shaping displays correctly (letters should be connected in words)?

You might be able to flash these libraries and make it work.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

God Exists. posted:

You might be able to flash these libraries and make it work.

I'm running CM6.1 RC which does it correctly, I'm curious about MIUI but not enough to flash it and mess with it as my whole reason for using CM is arabic, but if someone opens that page and can verify it's there I'll hop over :)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Ashex posted:

I'm running CM6.1 RC which does it correctly, I'm curious about MIUI but not enough to flash it and mess with it as my whole reason for using CM is arabic, but if someone opens that page and can verify it's there I'll hop over :)

Well I don't have an N1, but here's how it looks on my EVO with MIUI:

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
Yeah, it's hosed up. Hope that gets fixed in Gingerbread.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Ashex posted:

I'm running CM6.1 RC which does it correctly, I'm curious about MIUI but not enough to flash it and mess with it as my whole reason for using CM is arabic

There's libraries available for MIUI (added very recently, apparently)

http://ardoid.com/?p=27

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EDIT: Durr I didn't bother using Google Images.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI owns hardcore. Flashed it at work and I'm back to playing with my phone every 5 minutes.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm guessing the files were removed in the past day or two, since a new version of Odin and the Epic PIT file were posted. The new PIT file looks to be correct (the old version was actually slightly incorrect), but I've not tried the new Odin yet.

Anyways, download the new Odin & Epic PIT. Also download the DI18 stock files (link from this thread). Rename the stock file to SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar since the current name (w/.md5 at the end is incorrect).

From there you can follow the directions in the thread you posted. But basically, make sure you have the Galaxy S driver installed on Windows PC first (which you do if you use the same computer to root it, but if not, they're available from this thread). Then run Odin. Put the Epic in download mode (from off, 1+power). Connect the phone to the computer, verify Odin sees it. Select "victory_8G_100528.pit" as PIT, select SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar as PDA, make sure "Auto Reboot" and "DebugEn." are selected, but nothing else (e.g., "F. Reset Time") is. Then hit start.

Assuming you're running DI18 already, which you are if you applied all the OTA updates before rooting, I'd repackage that .tar file to include only "cache.rfs, datafs.rfs, factoryfs.rfs, param.lfs, recovery.bin, and zImage", i.e., leave "boot.bin, modem.bin, Sbl.bin" out. This way you're only reflashing partitions modified by the rooting process and leaving the other ones untouched. The advantage is that if Odin fucks up part way you can always rerun Odin. Whereas if Odin fucks up in the wrong place of a full flash, you might be left with a bricked phone. But the likelihood of that happening is very small, so if you don't have the necessary tools to make tar files, it's probably not worth it.

Well, that was vastly more helpful than anything I managed to find outside of this forum. Thanks. It seems to have worked.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

God Exists. posted:

There's libraries available for MIUI (added very recently, apparently)

http://ardoid.com/?p=27

Oh wicked, I checked last week before it was posted. Hello MIUI!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

MIUI owns hardcore. Flashed it at work and I'm back to playing with my phone every 5 minutes.

The fact the weekly updates actually add full new features or three and don't introduce many new bugs is incredible, I've been using it for well over a month and haven't missed CM6 much at all.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I'm unable to flash the the arabic libs as it's based on the 10.29 release and won't work with the latest :/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I'm running Rubix 1.0 Focused on my X and I installed the Incognito-Red theme or whatever, and I like it, but it also changed the icons on several of the default applications to retarded ones that don't follow the developer's guidelines and as such don't match anything else. Is there an easy way to bring them back to the stock icons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
MIUI + AOSP icon set makes it more than tolerable. I absolutely hate the stock MIUI icons but I love all the customizations that come with each week. It would be cooler if they would do like 2 week updates or something because the weekly flashing to see what awesome new crap is in is cumbersome. Plus I am helping with the MIUI-dev team with translation and theming which gets tiresome.