Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do I get my GFX card to always use PCI-e 2.0 instead of 1.1?

Is it an Nvidia card, and is your motherboard based on a X38, X48, or maybe X58 chipset? This may be your problem, and I recall it has something to do with a BIOS or driver issue that may or may not be intentional. I'm not sure if this exact topic has a fix, since it was started a year ago. I can ask a friend who had a similar issue what the fix is if you don't find it in that topic. (I have a 9800 GTX+, and never had this issue because my motherboard is based on the P45 chipset.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've got an XFX 4890 and a UD3 chipset board.

Outdated I know, but it's 2.0 compatible and I notice the issue only arises when it's at 1.1. I notice this through Gpu-z, and there is a coorelation between GPU-z saying it's at 1.1 and it running at 2.0 and the hd content (dxva) not playing properly when it's at 1.1.

edit:

this is my specific motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2982#sp

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question about laptops and keys. Sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and got an absolute mountain of replies. Tried to wade through them but, you know :smith:

My father in law just got a smoking deal on an MSI laptop. It came pre-loaded with Win 7 Pro 64bit, but also with a bunch of other crap software. Instead of uninstalling everything, I was hoping to do a fresh install of Win 7 with a standard OEM 7 Pro 64bit dvd I have for my home PC.

Can I do that and use his key on the laptop? I am hoping so since they're both the same version.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 25, 2010

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

slidebite posted:

Question about laptops and keys. Sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and got an absolute mountain of replies. Tried to wade through them but, you know :smith:

My father in law just got a smoking deal on an MSI laptop. It came pre-loaded with Win 7 Pro 64bit, but also with a bunch of other crap software. Instead of uninstalling everything, I was hoping to do a fresh install of Win 7 with a standard OEM 7 Pro 64bit dvd I have for my home PC.

Can I do that and use his key on the laptop? I am hoping so since they're both the same version.

It usually works, but I did have one instance where the key that came with a laptop wouldn't work with another disc. That was a disc based on a Digital River ISO, though; I don't know if it differs in a relevant way from an OEM disc.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Toast Museum posted:

It usually works, but I did have one instance where the key that came with a laptop wouldn't work with another disc. That was a disc based on a Digital River ISO, though; I don't know if it differs in a relevant way from an OEM disc.

Thanks for the reply.

Worst case scenario, if his key doesn't like my media, I do a reinstall based on the image the manufacturer put in a small HDD partition.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Is there any way to configure Windows to grant focus to any window when I mouseover it, rather than clicking on it?

edit: Never mind, found it. Control Panel > Ease of Access > Make the mouse easier to use

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 29, 2010

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Fuschia tude posted:

Is there any way to configure Windows to grant focus to any window when I mouseover it, rather than clicking on it?

edit: Never mind, found it. Control Panel > Ease of Access > Make the mouse easier to use

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/9000-mouse-hover-makes-window-active-enable.html

Edit: Beat me by 2 minutes.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I think my main drive is on its way out the door. Performance has been slipping lately, bootups much longer, programs lag, and I'd just like a bigger drive in there. Is there any way to backup all the important poo poo like windows files and import it to another disc rather than having to start clean?

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Lblitzer posted:

I think my main drive is on its way out the door. Performance has been slipping lately, bootups much longer, programs lag, and I'd just like a bigger drive in there. Is there any way to backup all the important poo poo like windows files and import it to another disc rather than having to start clean?

CloneZilla, Ghost if you have money, any number of Linux based disk imaging tools if you don't.

Do a malware scan first, might not be the drive.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Lblitzer posted:

Type in backup in the start menu, and choose create system image on the side.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Lblitzer posted:

a crystal disk scan might also be warranted. I'm counting the days on my boot drive, I've got yellow lights across the board.

also windows backup owns, I wouldn't even bother with anything else.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Okay, just one question here. Why, WHY can't you print images from the temp folder?!

What possible security reason could there be for graying out every option for an image except "copy" when it's in the temp folder? This nearly drove me crazy until I moved the image to another folder and all the options magically appeared again.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just finished up building a new pc and am in the process of installing W7 64. I started the install just fine and turned my monitor off so I could go workout and burn some time. When I came back the pc wasn't recognizing my monitor. Is that normal during some parts of the install? It hasn't worked for around 8 minutes.

It worked fine after rebooting it manually. I guess the setup was finished.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 1, 2010

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Landerig posted:

Okay, just one question here. Why, WHY can't you print images from the temp folder?!

What possible security reason could there be for graying out every option for an image except "copy" when it's in the temp folder? This nearly drove me crazy until I moved the image to another folder and all the options magically appeared again.

The TEMP folder itself has restrictions on what explorer plugins can be 'active' on itself and its contents. Since 'print' calls the handler defined for the file type, which could be a third party, it gets disabled.

It really is a security issue, and making exceptions would open potentially serious holes.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

EoRaptor posted:

The TEMP folder itself has restrictions on what explorer plugins can be 'active' on itself and its contents. Since 'print' calls the handler defined for the file type, which could be a third party, it gets disabled.

It really is a security issue, and making exceptions would open potentially serious holes.

Okay I'm really curious to know how allowing print commands for files in the temp folder would open up security holes. The worst I can see is, maybe somehow hacking into the temp folder, or maybe a downloaded file trying to corrupt the printer? :confused:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Landerig posted:

Okay I'm really curious to know how allowing print commands for files in the temp folder would open up security holes. The worst I can see is, maybe somehow hacking into the temp folder, or maybe a downloaded file trying to corrupt the printer? :confused:

As with all problems, it probably has something to do with Adobe.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Landerig posted:

Probably has more to do with they can't lock it down to *JUST* the print command. So allowing print also allows for opening in other programs, which may or may not be patched and/or exploitable.
(AKA, Adobe)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can print a file thats in the temp folder you just need to open the file in an actual program to do it. The temp folders are set to high security mode in explorer since they change contents frequently and you need about no user permissions to access them.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Sorry if this has been covered but I got this issue where in List view say if I have it showing 2 columns of files, If I click something in the right column, it will automatically scroll to the right making column 2 move into the column 1's position. I just can't seem to get used to this and am constantly double clicking something in the right column only to have it scroll a bunch. Is there a way to turn this off? I've tried Google but I can't seem to find the right key words for it.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is there a button you can push to bring the top window into focus? Winkey + Tab achieves this effect but that's not really what that feature is for. It's annoying when for whatever reason the top window doesn't have focus so I have to stop typing to click it.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

fishmech posted:

You can print a file thats in the temp folder you just need to open the file in an actual program to do it. The temp folders are set to high security mode in explorer since they change contents frequently and you need about no user permissions to access them.

Mmm, nope. Unless Window's picture viewer isn't really a program.

But I kinda see what they're getting at now, so that's okay I guess.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What's the learning curve with moving from XP to Windows 7 like? I'm getting a new computer within the week and it will finally have an OS made in the last ten years. I've basically never interacted with Vista or 7 in any significant way, but it's time to move on, I figure. Am I going to spend several days cursing everything for being different or do angels come out the screen and give me chocolate?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

YggiDee posted:

What's the learning curve with moving from XP to Windows 7 like? I'm getting a new computer within the week and it will finally have an OS made in the last ten years. I've basically never interacted with Vista or 7 in any significant way, but it's time to move on, I figure. Am I going to spend several days cursing everything for being different or do angels come out the screen and give me chocolate?

Infinitely easier then going from an old excel or word doc to the new ribbon bullshit thingy.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

YggiDee posted:

Resist the initial urge to set everything to look/work as similarly to XP as possible, and you'll get used to it pretty quickly. Start menu search and the new taskbar are great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YggiDee posted:

There really isn't any. You can really use almost exactly like Windows XP to start, but you'll start finding it convenient to do stuff in the Windows 7 way - just typing a program name in the start menu box, and of course putting your quick link bar or whatever that was as your pinned programs.

LorneReams posted:

Infinitely easier then going from an old excel or word doc to the new ribbon bullshit thingy.

But Windows 7 apps do use the ribbon extensively or haven't you noticed?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

YggiDee posted:

The one thing that still trips me up (and I've been using Vista since a bit before SP1 came out) is that "Add/Remove Programs "is now called "Programs and Features".

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

fishmech posted:

But Windows 7 apps do use the ribbon extensively or haven't you noticed?

Win XP --> Win 7 was like a 5 minute adjustment while going from excel --> new excel still stumps me months later (how the gently caress do you adjust page breaks from the print preview screen argggg)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LorneReams posted:

Win XP --> Win 7 was like a 5 minute adjustment while going from excel --> new excel still stumps me months later (how the gently caress do you adjust page breaks from the print preview screen argggg)

Excel 2007 or Excel 2010? You can fully customize stuff in the 2010 version just like the older versions.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

YggiDee posted:

a) Don't go turning services or security features off
b) Don't use any retardo tweaking guide to pump up your megahertz
c) For virus protection do install Microsoft Security Essentials

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Also, turn up UAC all the way to avoid that whitelist security hole.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Oh holy crap, windows 7 installs considerably faster from a USB drive than from a DVD. It's really impressive.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Hypnolobster posted:

Oh holy crap, windows 7 installs considerably faster from a USB drive than from a DVD. It's really impressive.

How do you get it on the drive? I haven't had great luck setting up bootable USB flash drives in the past.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Toast Museum posted:

How do you get it on the drive? I haven't had great luck setting up bootable USB flash drives in the past.

This tool will make a bootable USB disk from any valid Windows 7 ISO

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

You can also do it manually

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

c0burn fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 2, 2010

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

c0burn posted:

This tool will make a bootable USK disk from any valid Windows 7 ISO

Nice, saves having to stuff around with the command prompt.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

c0burn posted:

Thats the way I do it.
Takes 10 seconds. Since Vista I've done that with every thumbdrive I get.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

c0burn posted:

Badass

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

c0burn posted:

Sweetness. I was planning on getting a netbook, upgrading RAM, and installing Win 7 Pro (yay for cheap software through campus computer store!), but was wondering how to do that without a DVD drive...awesome.

That being said, how well will Win 7 Pro run on a netbook vs. Home Basic? I'm probably getting a N450 CPU, and the RAM will be upgraded to 2 Gigs...is it even worth it? Is Home Basic 'good enough'?

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

That being said, how well will Win 7 Pro run on a netbook vs. Home Basic? I'm probably getting a N450 CPU, and the RAM will be upgraded to 2 Gigs...is it even worth it? Is Home Basic 'good enough'?

It's the same code base with a few more features enabled. You can look here to see if there is a killer feature you need from Professional. For the vast majority of users Windows 7 Home Premium is all they need.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

YggiDee posted:

I think based on the above answers, your mileage will vary.

For me the learning curve is ongoing, but I got my computer set up to 85-90% how I wanted it in about a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I just finished up building a new pc and am in the process of installing W7 64. I started the install just fine and turned my monitor off so I could go workout and burn some time. When I came back the pc wasn't recognizing my monitor. Is that normal during some parts of the install? It hasn't worked for around 8 minutes.

It worked fine after rebooting it manually. I guess the setup was finished.

There's a option in Windows 7 and Vista called TMM (Transient Multimon Manager) that's located in task scheduler that likely caused this. It's supposed to automatically adjust the screen for the appropriate resolution needed on the monitor, but often if the monitor is off when it checks, it just will ignore it until you reboot.

I used to go in and disable this option on my htpc as it never would enable the monitor if I forgot to turn the TV on before the computer, or it wasn't in the right mode to respond, but 7 seems to be much better at at least periodically checking to make sure a new monitor is available and initializing the screen. If it keeps happening its under Microsoft, windows, MobilePC in task scheduler.